Jump to content
    drown
  • Author
  • 2,685 Words
  • 2,904 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has elements of violence, sex, and strong language. 18+

Oregon in the Fall - 20. Chapter Twenty: Fracture

‘Your mother smells different than the others,’ Dave echoed in my head.

He was right. What happened to her? She seemed… better. Her scent flowed like a clear stream of water trickling down its path. Rejuvenated even, as if she managed to shed the heaviness that once cloaked her… that kept her from me. The others were as I remembered them—tainted and rotten—and this made her stand out even more.

The present situation held no threat for us, not with three gods, and whatever Chronos was besides that. Part of me wondered if I should have faced this alone, a thought quickly dismissed. Too late now anyway.

My mother, kneeling and baring her neck in submission, sparked a wave of confusion and shock within the pack. I thought we were making progress until Sebastian’s growl cut through the tension. Always impulsive, he was preparing to attack. His strategy, or lack thereof, had always been predictable. Even at my weakest, I could have taken him. Now, bound to Dave, and also knowing what I had become on my own, I could have obliterated him with barely a glance.

Yet, it was Clara who stepped forward, her patience thinning. As Sebastian’s growl escalated to a roar, he shifted and lunged toward me, maiming his clothes in the process. I braced for impact, restraining the urge to retaliate lethally. He was my brother, after all.

“Men…” Clara’s voice dripped with disdain. I could almost hear her rolling her eyes. Vines erupted from the ground, entangling Sebastian mid-leap, thwarting his attack with a force that slammed him back to earth. He flailed about wildly, struggling against his leafy bonds.

Throughout, my mother’s focus never wavered from me. “There will be no bloodshed today. My son has returned,” she said. Sebastian was occupied snapping at the vines, but the silent command from his mother was an unspoken threat so heavy that he stopped and let out a whimper, his head hung low.

Then, turning back to me, her expression softened. “Grey, you have grown,” she said, recognizing not just my physical presence but the aura that enveloped me. I think? Did she know, somehow, that I was no longer just her son but something more? She was trembling. “I’m so sorry.”

I shifted back to human form, standing tall in the forest. Stronger, assertive.

‘You’re naked in front of everyone!’ Dave echoed to me with a hint of shock that amused me. I didn’t let that amusement show however.

‘You should do it, too,’ I told him.

I hadn’t expected him to follow through, but to my surprise he did. And I relished in it. A sense of pride for having a mate this strong, with loyalty and morals that were so disturbingly absent in this pack I grew up in. Dave was everything I thought I could never have in my life. And I was proud to show him off to all of them.

If you had told me a few days ago that it would be less than a week before I returned to these people who chained me up, I wouldn’t have believed you. Yet here I was.

I probably should’ve thought hard about what to say to them. I didn’t. So instead I said, “Your Alpha has returned.”

A bit ridiculous—absurd even—I know. The reactions were rather varied. Sebastian was still distracted by his botanical restraints. The random unfamiliar wolves let out gasps, or whatever the wolf equivalent of that would be called. My mom started smiling slightly. And my dad opened his mouth to object, when Dave landed a preemptive strike against such an insolence by bursting out laughing. It was the most unbefitting reaction, yet I loved him all the more for it.

“Sorry, that sounded more pathetic than I intended.” I elbowed Dave, urging him to stop. How embarrassing.

He eventually realized the gravity of the moment for me, and with a sheepish look managed to catch himself. It was my mother however who once again surprised me the most. Who was this woman?

She focused her gaze on Dave, paused, and then nodded toward him. “Consort.” She then looked at me, and nodded again. “Alpha.”

She didn’t know Dave, but she understood. She gave him more respect than she ever had received from her own husband.

I took a step forward and knelt before my mother, taking in her newfound scent. Her arms, trembling, reached for me, the hesitation of years dissolving. I recognized it then for what it was. Where there had been decay and blindness, now there was unwavering love. A mother’s love that had broken free. It rose above us like a beacon, eclipsing the darkness that had clung to this place for so long. If this was a sign of things to come, I knew there was hope.

And I needed it. I edged closer to her.

Please.

Please hug me.

And she did. For the first time. And it was incredible. I came here wanting to be strong, stoic even. But this moment broke me. Tears I was trying to hold back started flowing freely. I sobbed. So much.

“Mom,” I managed to say. And that said it all. Because for the first time, it felt like the truth.

After an eternity had passed, I carefully dissolved the embrace that I hoped would never fully break again and looked at her.

“Hi,” I said, smiling. I’m sure that smile was all over me.

“Grisecito…” she said. She looked happy. I had never seen my mom happy before. “You need to help me heal our family, our pack.”

I nodded. Then I looked at my father. “We need to talk, old man,” I said, my voice low, imitating the authority of the Alpha. I wasn’t sure if I was there yet, but if anything, he wouldn’t deny ancient wolf law. My presence had established a sort of truce in a tenuous situation.

He nodded.

“Clara, could you please release my brother,” I said, looking at my him directly. The vines retreated into the ground in an instant. “Sebastian, please shift back.”

To my surprise, he did as I asked. When I went to him to offer my hand, he didn’t take it however. He got up on his own, determined to not break eye sight with me, staring, with his jaw tight, fury simmering just beneath the surface.

“Would it be customary to relieve myself of my clothes as well, Clara?” Chronos asked. I turned around to look at him incredulously.

“Stop it, Chronos. It’s a wolf thing,” Clara said.

“We’re going to put on some clothes, and meet in the grand hall,” I said. I kept my Alpha stance, of course, and just to make sure they knew who I was now, I walked straight through my father, forcing him to move aside. It was a power play, I know, and it would be a lie if I said I didn’t enjoy it. Was this what naturally happened to an Alpha or was it Wepwawet’s influence? What was Wepwawet’s influence anyway? I paused momentarily, allowing this unfamiliar feeling to wash over me.

I noticed the reluctance in Dave, and nudged him through our bond, ‘I need you beside me, always.’

‘Alright. Ok. What is a consort?’ he asked me.

‘You’re more than just my boyfriend now. You lead this pack just as I do. Stand tall. I love you.’

Did I just say that? I mean, think that?

‘Um… I…’ he mind-stuttered.

‘I’m sorry, I still have to get used to keeping some thoughts to myself.’

Dave did move to my side, and we led the group ahead. I set the pace. There was no rush, and I tested my abilities as Alpha. My heartbeat, my rhythm, they had to get used to it. I still felt no tether, not like I did with Dave. But with mom… I think there was something there. I tugged at it. It screamed family, and love. Things that were very new to me.

It was Dave who again spoke in my head. ‘I… I love you, too.’

Yeah. That happened. Of course I froze immediately. The people walking behind me interpreted it as imminent danger, and I felt them tensing up. They didn’t break the rhythm however, waiting for their Alpha to lead them on. Waiting for me to lead them on.

I took Dave’s hand into mine, squeezing it tightly, and continued walking. Behind me, I noticed my father’s discontent when he let out a growl. The growl was immediately followed by a slapping sound. My mom had hit him in the face, because of course she did. Clara chuckled.

We reached the center of the pack grounds. “Sebastian, get dressed, meet us in the grand hall,” I said. I took the clothes from our backpacks that Chronos was carrying and Dave and me put on some jeans and our respective Lunar Haven shirts. I noticed other members of our pack, and thank fuck for that aura of an Alpha I was obviously carrying right now, because no one dared question my presence, or new role here. I felt them being uneasy, which was perfectly understandable, but this had to do for now.

I nodded at my parents behind me. “Mom, father, let’s go. My mate and my friends are coming with.”

My father didn’t even try to object anymore, probably knowing he’d earn a slap from his mate at the least. The two random wolves didn’t follow us. They weren’t welcome at the moment anyway, and they knew it.

Inside the grand hall, I went directly for the Alpha’s seat at the front. It was mine now. My mom again surprised me when she grabbed a chair and placed it beside the Alpha’s seat. “I will not be disrespecting your Consort, my son. Not like I was disrespected.” She looked at Dave, and nodded with a smile.

“Thank you,” I said. No tears, Grey. Stop it.

The grand hall, despite its name, resembled a humble, wooden chapel. Sunlight filtered through cracks in the aged wood, casting dappled patterns on the worn floor. This was where pack meetings took place, usually a tumultuous affair, yet now it held only the quiet intimacy of the inner circle. My family. Clara, of course, had earned her place beside me, and Chronos… well, the presence of cosmic forces was always enigmatic, a mystery awaiting its time. I’ll deal with him another day.

Here we were. I was on the Alpha seat, Dave next to me on a simple chair. I made a mental note to rectify that, as he deserved anything but a simple chair. Across from us on the right side sat my mom and my father. I nodded at her, smiling. The bench on the left was occupied by Clara, and Chronos. I think Clara felt a little out of place, but she was 150 years old, and I thought she could probably deal with it. My brother came in. He judged the situation correctly and silently took a seat next to my father.

My father spoke first. “How dare you, son… He’s your mate! A man! From another pack! The shame… I can’t even…”

“That is where you’re wrong, you homophobic fool. He was human just a day ago. I turned him,” I said.

“That is impossible!” he exclaimed.

My mom said, “And yet, it’s not, Luis. Are you blind? They are true mates.”

“Pathetic fairy tales! A true mate does not exist. And wolves are not turned just like that. Do you think me a fool?” he spat back at her.

“They stand before us. You can smell their scent, can’t you? They even share a mind. I felt them talk to each other without speaking.”

My father looked at us, his eyes flicking wildly between us, trying to understand.

“It’s obvious, dad,” my brother said, looking at me for the first time in a long time without contempt or rage. “They are true mates. Even you have to see that. Grey, I…” He pressed his lips together. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Deep inside me, I want to love you as a brother, but… I can’t… I can’t fight it. Please help me. Oh god, help me.” He was shaking uncontrollably, tears starting to form in his eyes.

I stood up. “This is why I’m here. I don’t hold you responsible for what happened. There is a curse on this place. And it’s not your fault. I am here to help,” I said.

He said, “Where… where is Mark? He was going to find you. I can’t…” His lower lip was quivering. Why did he care? “I can’t feel him anymore. Is…”—What?—“Is he gone?”

Hold on for a fucking second.

“Sebastian, why…” I had no words.

“Please tell me he’s ok. Please tell me. Please. Please please please please. Grey…” He was out of breath, hyperventilating.

‘He loves him, you idiot.’ Dave’s thought so clear and logical. I was the slow one.

“Oh, Sebastian,” I said and ran to him. Fuck. I picked him up, the slumped mess he was right now. And I held him. I held my brother who was hurting and in this moment, all was right. He felt… right. His disdain was gone. “Everything is going to be ok. We’ll get him back. I promise you. I will bring him back to you.”

I noticed my father, clearly unhappy about the situation unfolding in front of him. It took all my strength to call this man who had abused me dad, but I did, because I still had hope that all of this was just due to the curse. Maybe it was a futile attempt, but I was trying to be the bigger man right now.

Still holding onto my brother, I said, “Dad. We are going to heal this place. I will step up, and be a leader to our people, together with Dave. I have your back, if you let me. The turmoil inside you is not of your making. Please trust me.”

That shook something in my father, all sorts of emotions washing over him that I was unable to recognize. He looked at me, but all I saw was emptiness. Then he got up, and left the hall.

My mom said, “Dave…”

Oh yeah. I forgot to introduce them. I motioned for Dave to join us.

“Mom, Sebastian… This is Dave. He is my mate. Those over there are Clara and Chronos. Clara is Dave’s sister. She’s a druid and she is awesome. Chronos is… special,” I said.

“Special?” my mom said.

“It’s a long story.”

“Hi,” my brother said, looking strained, and painfully so. “I’m sorry. I seem to… have a clear moment right now, and I am trying to hold onto it.”

Chronos then got up with an unnerving stillness and walked toward us. He intently looked at Sebastian and said, “Son. When you were with Mark, did you feel like a weight was lifted off your shoulders?”

He nodded furiously and said, “Yes…”

“Chronos, what are you saying?” I said.

“It is as I thought. I have a plan,” Chronos replied. A longer pause.

Clara clapped her hands. “Enlighten us then, fancy man. What is it?”

“You are imbued with the power of Constructs. And Osiris, or Mark as he calls himself, holds the power of the Third.”

“The Third?” Clara said.

“The Third Construct is The Veil of Sorrow. It allows reality to age. Without Sorrow, there would be no happiness. Progress cannot happen without remembering. Memories cannot be remembered without Sorrow. Sadness cannot be without joy, for neither can exist without the other.”

Clara’s patient was clearly wearing thin again. “No. Stop it right there. What? English please.”

“Mark holds reign over all emotion.”

“Yeah… still nothing,” she said.

“Right now, the thought of Mark is keeping your brother tethered. I’m amazed he’s holding on to be honest.”

Sebastian was clearly in pain, and crumbling under the weight of it all. He looked at our mom, pleading to her, “Mom?”

Fuck.

Author’s note: There we go. More of the Belcore Pack. Is any of this surprising? I sure hope so. Heh.
All your comments are greatly appreciated, and if you really like the story, a recommendation would mean the world to me. The button’s right there. Thank you.
Copyright © 2023–2024 drown. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 37
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thank you so much for reading. This is my first story. Be kind but honest.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

This is a discussion topic for anyone who wants to converse, leave honest feedback, or just wonder and take part in the world of Oregon in the Fall—a story first and exclusively posted to GA starting in December 2023. Hey everyone :3 This story has been marinating in my head, with sprinkles here and there in various forms of text documents, revisions, and dreams. It was a mess. It took over a decade to finally push myself to assemble it together, rewrite some parts (over and over again) tha
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice to see all of this happen, I am very glad Mom is restored and able to wield some influence...but are we done with Theodore???? 

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Nice to see all of this happen, I am very glad Mom is restored and able to wield some influence...

I wonder if anyone truly got how she was restored. I put it there in plain text, but I might be as obtuse as Chronos. He’s in my head. HE’S IN MY HEAD!

11 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

but are we done with Theodore???? 

No.

  • Wow 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Jeb Cat said:

Surely the dad will not backstab the group in any way... right?

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I have to say, this chapter is certainly not obstacle-free, however, Grey achieves quite much in it, which might feel a bit rushed.

Quote

‘You’re more than just my boyfriend now. You lead this pack just as I do. Stand tall. I love you.’

Did I just say that? I mean, think that?

‘Um… I…’ he mind-stuttered.

‘I’m sorry, I still have to get used to keeping some thoughts to myself.’

Yeah, why would one express their love to their significant other? :P

Quote

Oh god, help me.

That kind of divine intervention is very possible at that moment.

On 3/31/2024 at 7:11 PM, Jeb Cat said:

Surely the dad will not backstab the group in any way... right?

8l9e16.jpg

Quote

He said, “Where… where is Mark? He was going to find you. I can’t…” His lower lip was quivering. Why did he care? “I can’t feel him anymore. Is…”—What?—“Is he gone?”

Hold on for a fucking second.

“Sebastian, why…” I had no words.

“Please tell me he’s ok. Please tell me. Please. Please please please please. Grey…” He was out of breath, hyperventilating.

‘He loves him, you idiot.’ Dave’s thought so clear and logical. I was the slow one.

Wait, Sebastian is not gay with internalized homophobia, is he?

If that is so, I hope, Chronos isn't trying to hit at him

Does Sebastian not feeling Mark anymore indicate that they were true mates, too?

Assuming that, did they have some kind of relationship? Maybe even when Grey and Mark were dating? How did that feel for Sebastian? Did that contribute to his behavior towards his brother?

  • Love 5
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Zuri said:

I have to say, this chapter is certainly not obstacle-free, however, Grey achieves quite much in it, which might feel a bit rushed.

Maybe I'm erring on the side of moving along the story, as people have told me already that NOTHING IS HAPPENING 50,000 words in. 😂

I'll keep that in mind, but chapters 21–23 are pretty much set in stone, so we'll see…

Your feedback is greatly appreciated though. 

27 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Yeah, why would one express their love to their significant other? :P

Is that a real question?

28 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Wait, Sebastian is not gay with internalized homophobia, is he?

Maybe?

28 minutes ago, Zuri said:

If that is so, I hope, Chronos isn't trying to hit at him

The Construct Wardens are not beyond emotion and feelings and interpersonal relationship, but I doubt he has any interest in beings on earth in that way. Or does he?

30 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Does Sebastian not feeling Mark anymore indicate that they were true mates, too?

Assuming that, did they have some kind of relationship? Maybe even when Grey and Mark were dating? How did that feel for Sebastian? Did that contribute to his behavior towards his brother?

I'm particularly fond of their relationship because it is so tricky.
I run the risk of revealing too much, but by now, the comment section is a sort of director commentary anyway, so here goes:

Consider 3 years ago what happened between Grey and Mark. Just think what Mark went through. Think what Sebastian went through knowing his state right now. People with "the curse" have all sorts of feelings inside of them that rip them apart, with a core that's possibly still their true self.

I'll throw some questions:

What if Mark was really torn apart after turning Grey away?

What if Mark saw a spark of Grey in Sebastian; they are brothers after all?

What would it do to Mark once he realized that Sebastian becomes a whole other—better—person when he's around him?

What would it do to Sebastian meeting someone where he can truly shine and be himself, where he knows he will be a better person when they're close?

Is it love or is it dependency? Addiction even? Or some whole other thing, like a sort of magic affinity that Mark holds that the reader wasn't told about yet?

Or did it really start after that fateful day 3 years ago, maybe it ran longer? Is there betrayal that Grey has to battle with in addition to all the other shit in the pack?

Can Grey trust his brother again—or for the first time even? Will he?

  • Wow 5
Link to comment
Just now, drown said:

Is that a real question?

No, a rhetorical one 😉

Just now, drown said:

I'm particularly fond of their relationship because it is so tricky.

You are in Chronos mode 😜

7 minutes ago, drown said:

What if Mark was really torn apart after turning Grey away?

He might, but can one blame Grey?

8 minutes ago, drown said:

What would it do to Mark once he realized that Sebastian becomes a whole other—better—person when he's around him?

In real life, this would be an excuse of a person in a toxic relationship, claiming "I can fix him" 😉

5 minutes ago, drown said:

a sort of magic affinity that Mark holds that the reader wasn't told about yet?

Well, I mean, Chronos did indicate that:

Quote

“You are imbued with the power of Constructs. And Osiris, or Mark as he calls himself, holds the power of the Third.”

“The Third?” Clara said.

“The Third Construct is The Veil of Sorrow. It allows reality to age. Without Sorrow, there would be no happiness. Progress cannot happen without remembering. Memories cannot be remembered without Sorrow. Sadness cannot be without joy, for neither can exist without the other.”

Clara’s patient was clearly wearing thin again. “No. Stop it right there. What? English please.”

“Mark holds reign over all emotion.”

So, Mark's purpose is … to make people … happy? Quite equivocal if you ask me 😉

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Zuri said:

So, Mark's purpose is … to make people … happy? Quite equivocal if you ask me 😉

Finally someone seems to reading the clues I am putting in EVERYWHERE.

😂

Sadness cannot be without joy, for neither can exist without the other.

(Color choice is another hint. I feel smug.)

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Why not tease people in the comments with yet another poem—the beginning of Chapter 21—to keep you all engaged?

I’ll try anything basically 😂

The chapter will post very soon, I just need to iron out a few kinks. 💙

Eclipse of old is the ring of fire,
Whispers rise from a cosmic pyre.
The veil grows thin, the unseen awake,
Shadows slither and boundaries break.

The sun’s crown dims and darkness descends,
A hunger stirs where reality bends.
Ancient forces reaching a fevered hand,
Seeking purchase upon a fractured land.

Fury and stillness were a clash foretold,
Whispers of ruin and whispers of old.
Balance teeters on the primal breach,
A gasping world is just beyond reach.

—The Ring of Fire, Ancient Druidic Myth (Obscured by Ages)

  • Love 5
Link to comment

A great chapter. I'm glad Grey's mom is on side. So Sebastian and Mark. Hmmmmm.

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF

  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Doha said:

A great chapter. I'm glad Grey's mom is on side. So Sebastian and Mark. Hmmmmm.

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF

Before you break your head, read chapter 21 :3

💜

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, drown said:

Before you break your head, read chapter 21 :3

💜

I just did! Loved it. 😍 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Doha said:

I just did! Loved it. 😍 

More to come this weekend :D

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..