Jump to content
    DynoReads
  • Author
  • 1,149 Words
  • 2,296 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wearing Purple - 1. warning

A banner, proudly proclaiming "I Shall Wear Purple" on a floppy red hat, caught James Hunt's eye. Sally, his wife, browsed the college bookstore's collection of branded clothing with their daughter Hannah. His son, Luke, was gathering the textbooks he needed for the semester. A funny cartoon old woman appeared to be lecturing the viewers from her perch beneath the title. Underneath the banner lay a pile of books, a tower of mugs, and a rack of shirts that tempted shoppers to browse the collection

James picked up a mug to examine the cartoon old woman. She had a raincoat, an umbrella, and was wearing purple house slippers. The caption proclaimed: “When I am old I shall ...go out in my slippers in the rain”1. James chuckled.

“It's about the attitude, you know, from the poem.” the effeminate voice of the young man behind the counter offered, as he handed James a framed poem. A poem titled “Warning”1 was enhanced by a photo of an unknown woman in a red hat and purple coat walking away.

“The mugs and shirts all show what we want to do, but society says we must not. The poem is about having the courage to be who you really are.” The salesman added in a lilting voice. On one tee-shirt the old woman danced in a public fountain. Another the old woman had pens and pencils everywhere, in her hair, in the pockets of her robe, in boxes and cups all around her.

“Oh, this is that poem Mom mentioned hearing about on one of her talk shows. She wants to get a copy of it. Her birthday is next week Dad, so let’s buy it for her. Get the bracelet too.” Hannah chattered on non-stop as usual.

“If you buy these too, you can hide Mom's gift inside” Hannah suggested. She piled the shirts and sweatshirts she had been carrying on her father's arms, and added the bracelet. Hannah wandered off to another part of the bookstore as quickly as she had arrived.

The young salesman gathered the merchandise from James arms. He leaned closer than was necessary, close enough for James to smell his cologne. As the clerk put the merchandise in a shopping basket, James wondered if the salesman was flirting with him.

“Customer service can wrap your gifts for you.” The salesman offered. He a winked and then turned to help another customer. Now James was sure the clerk was flirting with him.

As James watched the man walk away, a familiar and forbidden longing rose up. With a sigh for what society says should not be James headed towards customer service to check out.

James gave the poem and bracelet to his wife when he took her out to dinner for her birthday. As Hannah had predicted, she loved the gift. She wore the bracelet constantly, and the poem graced her nightstand. Occasionally when his wife was out, James would read the poem and wonder if he had the courage to break free.

Years passed. Luke graduated college and went on to medical school. Eventually, Luke brought home his partner David to meet the family. Hannah finished high school, and went off to college in another country. James was happy for his children, but envied the freedom they had to be themselves.

James went to work, and came home to his wife each night, feeling emptier with each passing day. Sally found things to occupy her time now that the children were grown. James felt they were growing apart, and wondered what they would do when he retired.

James helped a new neighbor, Franz, move in and learned the man owned a men's clothing store. To thank James, Franz gave him a purple silk shirt. James thanked him politely, but hung the shirt in the back of his closet.

One evening after returning home from work, James spotted Franz outside speaking to another man. Just as he was about to go into the house, James saw Franz kiss the other man. James was dumbfounded and envious. Franz had summoned the courage to love the person he chose, not the one society would have chosen for him. James suddenly found himself consumed with jealousy as he watched the other man's car drive away. He couldn't stop thinking about it that night.

The next day he came home to find his wife sitting on the couch crying. James sighed and sat down next to her. He patted her knee gently, but Sally spoke before he could ask what was wrong.

“I haven't been feeling well lately. I've been to the doctor. He found a tumor, and wants to remove it next week.” Sally spoke quietly.

James sat there in shocked silence. Fear of cancer had been a constant companion since her mother had died. James thoughts ran in circles, unable to find anything comforting to say.

“I haven't told the children yet. I want to wait until after the surgery next week. I don't want them rushing home to be with me when we don't know how bad it is yet.” Sally continued.

“If that is what you want,” James agreed. He thought the children should know, but it wasn't his decision.

“Thank you,” Sally answered. “I think I'll go to bed early.”

The tumor was removed successfully, but it was found to be cancerous. Life changed quickly for James. Before, he had the monotony of work and home, then home and work. Now, life revolved around the cancer, endless doctor visits, surgery and rounds of chemotherapy. The treatments were not working. Sally grew weaker, unable to care for herself or the house. One night she picked up the poem and read it again.

“I never got old enough to wear purple. You must do it for me. Find the courage to be yourself and be happy again.” Sally made James promise.

After Sally passed on, James was dressing for the funeral when he saw the floppy red hat of the poem on Sally's nightstand. He suddenly stalked over to the closet and replaced his staid white dress shirt with the purple silk shirt that had long been hidden in the back. He picked up the poem and carried it with him to the living room. Luke and David sat on the couch holding hands. Hannah, dressed impeccably in funeral black, paced by the window.

Luke and David shared a glance, but said nothing.

“Dad, what are you wearing?” Hannah exclaimed, shocked.

The doorbell rang just then. James opened it to the limo driver from the funeral home. He handed the poem on to Hannah.

“I promised your mother to wear purple.” James replied. “It's time to say goodbye.”

James walked out, determined to no longer hide who he was.

(1) Jenny Joseph (1974), Warning, Rose In the Afternoon and Other Poems, J M Dent & Sons, London

Copyright © 2014 DynoReads; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



A nice short story! :)

I didn't find any problems, other than that the first sentence seemed a bit odd to me. Maybe it's because English is not my mother tongue. Maybe it's a missing comma? I don't quite understand it (I get what it's saying, just grammatically it seems confused to me). And then there is the story description: affect/effect. I'm not 100% sure but isn't it effect and not affect?

 

Anyway, nice writing, very short but all wrapped up and complete. Keep it up! :)

Sammy

Link to comment

My mother also loved this poem, but never had time to wear purple and do the things in the poem. I think that is one of the lessons of your story. Don't wait til you're old to do the things you want, and the things that make you happy. Seize the day and make the most of it. Loved you story, Dyno.

Link to comment

Nice, thoughtful story. I have had too many friends and family wait for retirement to fulfill their dreams, and haven't been able to. I am not waiting and am following my dreams and desires now.

Link to comment
On 02/10/2014 09:26 AM, Sammy Blue said:
A nice short story! :)

I didn't find any problems, other than that the first sentence seemed a bit odd to me. Maybe it's because English is not my mother tongue. Maybe it's a missing comma? I don't quite understand it (I get what it's saying, just grammatically it seems confused to me). And then there is the story description: affect/effect. I'm not 100% sure but isn't it effect and not affect?

 

Anyway, nice writing, very short but all wrapped up and complete. Keep it up! :)

Sammy

Thank you Sammy. I'll look at the lines you mentioned. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment
On 02/10/2014 10:26 AM, comicfan said:
My mother also loved this poem, but never had time to wear purple and do the things in the poem. I think that is one of the lessons of your story. Don't wait til you're old to do the things you want, and the things that make you happy. Seize the day and make the most of it. Loved you story, Dyno.
Thank you for the kind review. I'm glad you liked the story. For me the theme of the poem is "seize the day", and this is just one man's journey.
Link to comment
On 02/10/2014 12:11 PM, Quiet man said:
Nice, thoughtful story. I have had too many friends and family wait for retirement to fulfill their dreams, and haven't been able to. I am not waiting and am following my dreams and desires now.
Welcome to GA and thanks for reading my story. I'm glad you liked it.
Link to comment

It was short and the pace was fast, but it had so much in it that made me cry, thanks for sharing or should I thank the plot bunnies?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a beautiful message. I especially love how you put in such vivid details, but left so much room for me to fill in the gaps with my imagination. By the end I was emotionally attached to poor James and Sally. Excellent read, thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 02:55 AM, lonnie biko said:
the story was short but beautiful.

I really love the ending and the message that goes with the story.

Great job

Thanks for reading and taking the time to review. I appreciate your kind words.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 02:55 AM, lonnie biko said:
the story was short but beautiful.

I really love the ending and the message that goes with the story.

Great job

Thanks for reading and taking the time to review. I appreciate your kind words.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 04:51 PM, nostic said:
It was short and the pace was fast, but it had so much in it that made me cry, thanks for sharing or should I thank the plot bunnies?
Thanks for reading and reviewing. Please thank the plot bunnies, better yet take them.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 04:51 PM, nostic said:
It was short and the pace was fast, but it had so much in it that made me cry, thanks for sharing or should I thank the plot bunnies?
Thanks Nosty for reading and reviewing. I'm glad the story touched you.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 05:43 PM, juniorg569 said:
What a beautiful message. I especially love how you put in such vivid details, but left so much room for me to fill in the gaps with my imagination. By the end I was emotionally attached to poor James and Sally. Excellent read, thank you.
Your review has left me speechless. Thank you
Link to comment
On 02/12/2014 01:53 PM, Foster said:
Enjoyed your first story on GA. Hope you follow it with more.
Thanks for reading and reviewing. The plot bunnies are nibbling, so there may be more short stories.
Link to comment

The story is short and direct. I think the reference to the Joseph's poem Warning makes sense. But it's a long life..., to be hiding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/28/2014 05:47 PM, Ashi said:
The story is short and direct. I think the reference to the Joseph's poem Warning makes sense. But it's a long life..., to be hiding.
Thank you for leaving a review. James may have spent a long time hiding, but did find the courage to stop.
Link to comment
On 03/28/2014 04:42 AM, joann414 said:
I absolutely loved this story. It was so beautiful. Gave me chills. So glad that I found it! :2thumbs:
I'm glad you liked it. Hopefully my future works will live up to your expectations.
Link to comment
On 04/06/2014 11:01 AM, BEKelley said:
loved it, very thought provoking!
Thanks for reading and reviewing. I'm glad you liked it.
Link to comment

i read it, it's sad. And it's too late to wear purple... He chose to keep his lot in life, he could have chosen to be in such a relationship earlier. it's sad because his wife never knew who he really was, and she died not knowing. More than that neither did he. You are never old enough to wear purple because you always could have done so.

There i am done preaching.

On a writers level, it's a slow moving story, best read late at night with a cup of tea in hand.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2014 05:33 AM, Celethiel said:
i read it, it's sad. And it's too late to wear purple... He chose to keep his lot in life, he could have chosen to be in such a relationship earlier. it's sad because his wife never knew who he really was, and she died not knowing. More than that neither did he. You are never old enough to wear purple because you always could have done so.

There i am done preaching.

On a writers level, it's a slow moving story, best read late at night with a cup of tea in hand.

Thanks for reading. You have an unique view of the story and I'm glad you shared it.
Link to comment

Just found your story. Enjoyed it, and the way it flowed so naturally. Felt like a folk tale in places, and I knew there was a life lesson within it. Goodness, I've known so many people who've put off wearing that purple. Maybe most of us!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..