Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 7,328 Words
  • 55,416 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Full Moon - 4. Chapter 4

Friday afternoon came and I took off early, dragging home some work, to pick up Dylan from school. I had been planning this surprise for the past few days and I was glad everything had panned out as far as it could from my end. When he got out of school I was there leaning against the car. “Ready, Dylan?”

He nodded and looked in the small back seat where there were some suitcases. “Where are we going?”

“On a small vacation,” I said as we drove off to go pick up Pat from work and transfer all of the stuff to the Hummer. I had not even told Pat the entire thing, only he needed to pack for the trip.

“Really? Where are we going?”

“California.” His jaw dropped as his eyes got epic huge. “If you're lucky you may get to go to Disneyland.” He whooped and hollered and asked a billion other questions I refused to answer.

“But...”

“The only thing I'm telling you is you get to see Dean.” That seemed enough for now. The two had been a riot to watch because Dean would try to crack through the silent wall and then throw his hands up in exasperation, Dylan miming it perfectly when his back was turned. When Dean would look back at the little dude he would see only that blank look as Dylan stared through him.

The flight was longer than my last one. Probably because last time I was getting laid and that never seems to last as long as actual time says. But, truth be told, this one was better. Seeing Dylan as he marveled at something so simple as a flight was something way awesome. He HAD to sit by a window and HAD to get head phones for the inflight movie, and HAD to make eyes at the pretty flight attendants...although that made Pat and I laugh more than anything. The airport was hell...like always and renting a car was a pain...like always. We didn't leave the airport until close to five in the afternoon Pacific time which meant just in time for rush hour traffic...like always.

Pat was miserable, a low growl a constant stream from his throat. The sounds of honking, profanity, engines, the smell of smog and pollution and the ocean, all of it got to him and he was not happy. I had missed this so much! I was back in my element and dodging through traffic like nothing and Pat was praying we didn't die. The little dude was cackling with glee when I cut someone off and then yelled back at them. “Don't repeat anything you hear during traffic,” I told him and he nodded with a huge grin.

We finally got to the outskirts of San Diego near Lake Jennings Park. It was well after dark and the boys were asleep as I did my first fun act of this trip. I dialed Dean and put it on speaker, which woke them but they had to be awake for this. “Rot, fall off, and die.” I had interrupted sex...darn.

“Whatev drama queen.”

“Jon, you picked the worst time to call. Mondo hot Korean twins, bro.”

Pat was grinning and Dylan's ears perked up. “Oh well. Guess what? Me and the guys are coming out to California and we're staying at your place.” I had just turned onto Summerhill Terrace where Dean lived. Nice neighborhood, So Cal weather, perfect for partying with Korean twins. I turned off the head lights to not alert him we were here and pulled up quietly.

“Tubular. Gotta go.”

“Dylan misses his Uncle Dean.” It was a total fabrication on my part, but anything to keep him on the line as we grabbed our stuff and sneaked to the front door.

“The kid spoke? Bodacious. Going.” I rang the door bell. “Dammit what...bro, is this revenge?” All three of us cracked up. There was a whine in his voice I had only heard once and that was when he had a chance with a smokin' hot blonde one condition: He had to sleep with her husband too. I still don't know if he did it or not.

“Bingo. Let us in.” He hung up and we continued to laugh as we waited. Pat and I could hear him cursing karma and me in particular in several different languages. Our smiles were so innocent and pure when he opened the door in a house robe. “Hey bro.”

“Yeah, yeah, get your butts in here.” We trouped in and he shut the door. I peeked over his shoulder to see said twins wearing only mens Oxford style shirts. Yup, mondo hot. “You had to show up now, didn't you.”

“Karma's a pain. Sorry to take him away from you ladies, he'll be back shortly.” Dylan looked over and his eyes widened. I swear the little dude mouthed the would DAMN.

The ladies were eying Pat and me like were new courses on the menu. “You could join us,” one said with a little flip of her hair.

I didn't even need to consult Pat. “No thanks. I got all the loving I need.” I smiled over at Pat who grinned back and the girls pouted. “Go have fun, Dean. I know my way around.” He gave me a high five and went back upstairs with the ladies.

“You could have, Jon,” Pat said as we put our light bags in the guest room, “I wouldn't have been upset...or blamed you.”

“Eh. I was telling the truth. Hot as they were, they're not you and I've seen Dean naked enough for one lifetime.” That got me a kiss, one that said Dylan was sleeping on the couch while we did nasty things in the bed.

We had all fallen asleep by the time Dean was done. To our bio-clocks it was almost 3 am. All of us were piled on the couch but I perked up when I heard Dean's light tread on the floor. When I stood he motioned us outside to the terrace to talk. “Good to see ya bro. You know I ain't mad for the stalling tactics.”

I grinned. “I know and you had it coming. Hope this isn't too much of an inconvenience.”

“Naw, it's righteous. So, how's the little dude really?” I told him how he was adjusting and why I was here. Through it all Dean's face was very serious, a rarity. When I was done he nodded a bit. “Jon, for once I can honestly say you have got to be one of the best people I have ever met. You're doing all this for someone you met such a short time ago. The kid deserves it all, true, but you're going to win the father of the year award. I'm proud of you. I know we joke a lot and we're young, but this...you are always welcome here no matter the hour or day.” The lack of surfer lingo made me realize he was that serious. Dean and I knew each other well and I know we had discussed children, always saying when we were done whoring around and in our thirties we'd have them. Yet here I was with a foster son older than half my age, taking responsibility for another life.

“Thanks Dean. For everything and for helping with this.”

 

The next morning we were up and ready to go close to sunrise. We had to get up that early if we were going to get to our first and main stop for being here as we only had two days until Halloween. Dean was passed out still, whether the twins were still around I couldn't tell, so we left him a note saying where we would be if he wanted to join us. The drive was too long to Pat but old news to me and we made it to Hollywood at a bit after 9:30 am. Dylan was bouncing up and down in the back seat as we pulled in to Universal Studios. “So that's Universal,” I said as I started to pull out. Dylan's face went from joyous to mortified until he saw me grinning. “Chillax, little dude, we're going to be here all day.”

Watching him in the park was amazing since he seemed to know more about it than I did as far as history and how it related to Lycans. How this set was used in this movie or how it should have looked if they used this era. When the wolfman came up, Dylan laughed at him. Guess compared to the real thing this guy was tame. We took him on rides that made Pat cringe because of the noise and even I had to rethink coming here, but Dylan, after seeing the pinch between our brows said he was done with most of the rides. The backlot tour was mondo awesome for movie buffs as you were on the sets and facades.

When lunch time came around we headed to one of the gates the was marked Employees Only. A guard standing there just looked at me like I was stupid for not reading the sign. “We're here to see Ginger.”

The guard paled and the hastily unlocked the gate for us and gave us very precise directions while handing us each passes. “Have a good lunch, sirs,” he said and I nodded, smiling inwardly. Yup, the girl was still a class A bitch...loved her.

“Do I want to know?”

“You'll see soon.”

The directions led us to a building that smelled of chemicals and glue. Pat and I both snorted and even the little dude made a sour face. When we went in I saw my old FB was waiting by the door. “There you are. Still sexy as ever.” She gave me a hug, grabbing my butt and making me grin and chuckle. She turned to Pat who was mesmerized. “Who's the hottie staring at me?”

“That is my boyfriend Pat. He's a sucker for a pretty face not matter the gender.” At the word boyfriend she raised a ginger brow and smirked. “Yeah, yeah.” I thumped Pat on the back and he blinked.

“How can you stand working in this smell?” He asked as he shook her hand. Then it hit me. Ginger smelled fantastic. Under the cover of chemicals and her usual lavender perfume was a scent that had me thinking. Pat, who was more attracted to scent, would want to do many naughty things with her. Threesome!

“Eh, you get use to it. So where is...looks like we got another staring boy,” she said fondly, but it wasn't at her he was staring. It was the costumes. Ginger worked as a costume designer and crafter for many Hollywood films and even did some conceptual art for Underworld. Dylan was gazing at all the pieces to who knows what movie, but it was one station that grabbed his attention. There was no mistaking the pieces were Lycan.

“Jon?” he asked me with so much longing in his voice, so much hope.

“Ginger is making you a werewolf costume. As a huge favor to me.” Dylan began to cry and he almost knocked me over with a hug. I had expected joy, not utter orgasmic tears of elated glee. I could not keep the huge grin off my face. I knew I was spoiling him, but he needed some spoiling since he had never had it. I read his file page for page. He led a solitary and rather dismal life in his other homes, the families unable to reach him in his walls of silence until they finally gave up on him and sent him back into the system.

Ginger and Pat were grinning too, tears in both sets of eyes. Pat mouthed “I love you” because even he had not been told what this was all about. I knew Pat also was growing to love Dylan and since right now his prospects for his own children were nil, here was someone he could raise right along side of me.

When my eyes flicked to Ginger she made a gesture saying I didn't owe her a thing. “Come on, handsome, lets get you measured and fitted for what we have in stock. After that, well, we'll do the best we can.” She held out her hand and he took it with a huge smile.

A few other designers came over when they saw the huge smile on his face. I figured she had said that a special case was being made and the looks they passed around said they would toss out ideas at least. Pat went over while I slipped to the door of the big wig here. A well built man answered. “You must be Jonathan. I'm Kyle Yorton.” He let me in, shaking my hand, and closed the door. The air in here was much fresher and well ventilated.

“Thank you so much for allowing us to barge in on such short notice.” I sat when a seat was offered and looked out through the mostly closed mini-blinds.

“It's not everyday Ginger asks for anything so when she does we all do what we can since she's always helped us out with our projects. This one though? I have never seen a face so bright.” Dylan's face was invaded by his molar showing grin as he tried on the prosthetic legs that came from the Underworld prop house. Those at least would fit well enough and were pretty much a signature of Lycans now. Whoever designed them might even be Lunais since they looked pretty darn close to our anatomy. When Mr. Yorton passed by me I caught a whiff and smiled.

“He's an awesome little dude. He loves Lycans so much. Dylan adores Pat more than me I think.” I watched for a flicker on his face and got none. What I did get was a scent change to caution. “Yes, Pat's a Lycan, just like us, although I have never smelled your type since I wasn't changed until a few months ago.”

There was no hiding it if I was truly a Lycan and he knew that. Taking a quick stock he nodded. “I knew he was, Lunais unless my nose is faulty, but I could not tell about you.”

“Yeah, Mr. Andrews said I was rare since Pat infected me. I can mask it a bit which has saved me a huge chunk of trouble at work.”

“You work for the Pack?” I heard the capital letter in there.

“In the main office. Pat's my OA.”

“And you know the Leader enough to talk to him?”

“Yeah. Well, I know Mr. Andrews pretty well as he sits with Dylan since he's retired early.” My words confused him.

“Why would the leader cub sit?”

“Because the little dude is probably the closest thing he has to a grandson. Pat's his son.” At my words his eyes got as round as saucers.

“That's the Leader's son?” I nodded. “And you are...”

“His boyfriend.” That set him back in his chair with a raised brow. “I don't know how it happened either. Save for him I'm hetero.” That got a laugh. “I gotta ask, what species are you?”

“Tigris Lunais.” I nodded like I was impressed. I filed away the scent I was getting from him and comparing it to the other weretigers and Lunais. I could sift through it slowly and pick up the tiger scent now and then below that was the Lunais scent I was becoming so familiar with. “And Dylan knows?”

“Knows and has seen us in our lunar forms.” I told him briefly about how we found him and came to adopt him. All the while Kyle shook his head smelling displeased.

“This new Leader-in-Waiting will not be good for the pack if the Lupus are already acting like this. I've heard that The Panthera Tigris have also been more aggressive. Perhaps this shift in power has unbalanced things for a time.” I nodded, hoping it was a short time. He grinned out at the workers who were all actively pitching in, bringing over what they had on hand to Ginger to say yes or no to as it was her project. “Such a lad I have never seen. Human raised by Lycan parents.”

“He asked to be infected. I said to wait a bit before making the decision final.”

“He likes us that much?” I nodded. “Think he would like to see a Tigris?” I nodded. I knew very well he would love to see one.

“Can you change outside of the moon? I was told it was very rare.”

“Among wolves, yes. Tigers it's more common. Still rare though.” He could not help but feel a bit proud of the fact he could change outside of the moon. I smelled it on him and knew I probably smelled that way sometimes.

“Is it a full change or a hybrid like Pat?” That only got me a smile and I knew he could go full monty. That would piss Angus off if I could change all the way and slap that dick attitude out of his head. “So, how much is this going to cost?”

Kyle looked out at the little dude with a smile. “Call it a gift. One Lunais to another.”

I didn't know what to say. It was very generous as those items could cost thousands of dollars. I was willing to spend it too as I had a very comfortable salary and already enough squirreled away to last a few years with care. Yet I didn't have to simply because Lunais seemed more pack than the Pack sometimes.

It was getting on into dinner time as they final touches were being applied. Someone had gotten lunch for us all and we ate while the costume was pieced together from scraps and odd ends. The only parts that were prefabricated were the paws and claws. While the claws were not the intricate ones used in the movies, they were still able to open and close which had him giddy. It was a quick miracle; he looked very much like Pat did in his lunar form save for the stock items.

When the final touches were done we all stepped back and helped Dylan over to the full length mirror. His eyes opened wide and I could tell he was grinning save for his Lycan mouth didn't move that way. He smelled very pleased. “I think we've outdone ourselves, guys,” said Ginger with a satisfied smile. “The costume may seem a bit large for you right now, but that's because you could wear it maybe a few more years without having to come back for more. Do you remember the order the items go on?” Dylan nodded. With me standing by he took a few steps in the stilts that now made him very close to my height. At first he was unsure but he was getting it after a few minutes. “Those will stand up to two hundred pounds of weight at a full run.”

“Don't go trying it right now,” I said when he looked ready to do just that.

“But Jon...” I heard him whine and we all laughed.

Kyle came out of the office looking at his watch. “You guys knock off for the night while we get this young man out of the costume safely.” With nods all around, the rest of the team did just that. “You too Ginger. You've been working too hard lately anyway.” She sighed but nodded. She gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and then got a hug from Dylan.

“Hairiest hug ever. Good thing you're cute. We'll do lunch tomorrow, boys, before you head back to cold as hell land.” We all watched as she left, Kyle helping Dylan out of the latex mask.

When she was gone Dylan was staring at Kyle with a look that said volumes. “What? Do I have egg on my face?”

“The little dude can spot a Lycan on sight.”

Kyle raised a brow. “Handy if you're into us. Can you tell what I am?”

“I think tiger, but I don't know fer sure. There is something different that I haven't seen before.”

“How can you tell us apart? I'm Tigris Lunais.”

Dylan shrugged. “I dunno. I just can. It's like knowing when a dog is either going to attack you or lick your face. You just know.” He sat in thought while we got him out of his costume and stowed it safely for travel, keeping the stilts out so he could practice them. “I can see it. How a person moves once I know, I compare it to an animal. Birds confuse me although I think I could spot another owl if I saw one.” Then he snickered. “Spotted owl.” We all groaned at the bad joke.

Kyle grabbed some pencils and sketch paper and handed them to the little dude. “Let's see how good you really are, little artist.” Dylan looked confused until Kyle took off his shirt and slacks, standing there with his back to us completely naked. “Time for the painful part.” Pat and I nodded in agreement.

Kyle got on all fours and I felt the shift. Dylan's eyes bugged out of his head and his hand began to sketch faster than I thought possible, but he was only doing parts of the anatomy. The face and how it elongated and widened, losing the human feature for the feline. The grimace of pain and how the incisors lengthened. The hands and feet as they changed from human to paws and claws, the skin growing fur even as some of it tore to expose muscle and heal within fractions of a second. Dylan caught as much as he could in the two minutes it took for the change to be done. A twelve foot tall white tiger crouched there and looked back over his shoulder, the echoes of pain still in his eyes. “First pose. I'm still tired.” Dylan nodded and sketched away. By the end of the night he had ten good poses and about forty pieces. He could fill out an artistic anatomy book on Lycans in days.

When Kyle was human again he came over to gape at the sketches. “So, when can you start working for me?” Dylan laughed but I could tell Kyle was serious. “You have a gift, Dylan, make no mistake about that. You could turn this into a very good cartoon or game or even do graphic design or CGI movies.” He held one up and looked at it. “I didn't do this pose.” Kyle stood back to back with Pat who was in his lunar form, Pat's shorter but more heavily muscled body a good contrast to the longer, leaner lines of the tiger. “Yes, when you turn eighteen and if I still work here I'll help you get into a job in the business. If,” he exclaimed with his finger in the air, “Jon and Pat say yes and your schooling is good enough.” The look on Dylan's face was amusing as he was very disgruntled but also very happily embarrassed.

On our way back to the main park for the last few hours of our day, Dylan gave each of us a huge hug. “You guys are the best thing that ever happened to me.”

 

Back in Salem on Sunday, the day of Halloween, we were all getting ready for the night's festivities. Pat and I would go as our selves, no make-up or costumes, and follow at a discreet distance just in case anything went wrong. “You could come with me,” Dylan offered.

“We could, but I didn't want to make it seem like you needed us there. Didn't want to cramp your style if you met a really hot freshman chick.” Pat's comment made me roll my eyes.

“Like I would. I don't get girls.” He didn't seem to care either. When you're the oddball of the school no one really talks to you anyway.

“Neither do I,” I said with a snicker. I never knew why girls wanted to bone me, they just all wanted what was in my jock. “So you want us there with you?” Dylan nodded. “Guess we're taking the little dude Trick-or-treating.”

I knew that most everyone on my street would be passing out the last legal high. Sweets galore since the area was pretty well off, he would be bouncing off the walls for the next few weeks by what he would pull in. It was totally awesome watching him stalk down the driveway and seeing more than one person jump at how realistic his costume looked. The adults were more afraid than the kids who ooed and ahhed over it. House after house he would go up with a crouching step as if hunting for his prey, Pat chuckling. “He's more Lycan than you are.”

“Har dee har har. He's liked them forever, I've liked them for a month.” That got a laugh and a kiss. I realized right then how comfortable I was with Pat. He just kissed me in plain view of the entire community and I didn't flip out.

“Lunais filth,” I heard behind us and we broke our kiss to see a young man glaring, not at Pat or me, but at Dylan. I sniffed and caught the undeniable scent of a Lupus. I already knew this could turn out ugly.

“Excuse me?” I said as I had not understood what he said although his tone offended me.

“Not you, the kid.”

Pat raised a brow. I spoke before he did. “My son? What's wrong with him?”

“Uh...nothing. I thought he was someone else.” He immediately looked like he had messed up.

“Problem?” said a voice I had heard around the office. I looked at Darius Hollyman from routing. A stiff necked asshat, but having read his employee file I saw no major flaw other than he was a hard ass with everyone including himself. A man to respect if not like.

“No, Pop, no problem. Just a misunderstanding.” Ah, so this was the kid he claimed as a dependent. Darius had one son who had been changed along with him when a Feral attacked them, killing the mother. The other child was a girl and would be ten now. Still human but knew about Lycans.

“Jon, Pat, how are you this evening?”

“Good, Darius.” I said with a polite nod.

“A word with you,” said Pat and pulled them aside out of normal human hearing range but I heard them just fine. “You, Tommy, better watch what you say. Do you want the whole world to hunt you down if they knew?” The young man colored but shook his head.

“What did you say?”

“Lunais filth,” murmured Tommy.

Darius shook his head. “Towards the boy in the werewolf costume. FYI, Tommy, I'm the Lunais you smell, not him. That's Dylan, Jon's foster son. Human. The same human whose last foster parents were killed by Lupus.” The boy's face clouded with shame. At least he had the knowledge to know he was an idiot.

“We will speak of this at home, Tommy. Let's not ruin the night for either of our families. What have you to say for yourself to Pat, son of the Leader?”

I noticed that Darius did not say former or anything like that. Seems here was one person who did not fully support Angus until his learning period was done with. Good to know. “I'm sorry. It's an attitude I picked up from my friends. No excuses.”

“It's okay, Tommy, but please be careful. If Jon or Dylan really heard that, or another Lunais who was not so understanding of the tensions, you might have been in more trouble than this.” Tommy nodded. “Now go help your sister get as much candy as you can. Keep her smiling tonight and I'll completely forget about this.” Tommy looked at his father who nodded, then went jogging off to go escort his little human sister.

“I am also sorry, Pat. I will have to make sure he doesn't make that same mistake again.”

“It's okay, Darius. We have never had problems at work and you have never been accused of wronging Lunais. Don't lose any sleep over it and don't treat the boy too harshly. We both know about peer pressure.”

“He'll get lectured, that is all. I will see you at work.” He went to leave but turned back. “Does Jon know about us?”

“Can't say that he does. My father gave him the silver necklace he wears as a token of welcome.” Darius nodded and shook hands with Pat before leaving to join his family.

Dylan and I walked up. “All settled?” Pat nodded.

“Did he really say that?” Dylan asked.

“I told him,” I said with a bit of a grin. “He better get use to it now when he has the choice.”

“He did, but I know he was ashamed after.”

“You learned a lot from your Dad, huh Pat.” He nodded. I knew what he meant. Diplomacy and understanding were how Mr. Andrews led the Pack.

“Yeah. I've been very lucky. I know it doesn't need saying, but whatever my dad tells you, learn from it.” Dylan nodded and we went on with the little dude stalking. He even went up behind an older girl and trailed her for a few yards before she turned to see who it was, screaming her head off and making her little brother laugh at her. He came back to us radiating happiness. “Schoolmate?”

“Yup. She hates me anyway.”

“Feel bad at all?” He shook his head and I laughed along with him.

Once Dylan was asleep in his room, Pat and I were in the living room and relaxing as we had not all weekend. One thing I have learned so far about being a parent: No time to yourself until the kids are asleep. The fireplace was lit, some pillows thrown on the floor and we lay there without our shirts just being close. The pendant was on the table beside us in case someone came over who was Lycan. Not that it had happened, but then I hadn't realized I had another Lycan close enough to the neighborhood to Trick-or-treat there. “What a night.”

“Amen, Jon.” His head was cradled by my shoulder and bicep as I toyed with his chest hair that he had not trimmed in a week. I kinda liked it and he loved when I toyed with it. “What a weekend. I like Ginger. She's a hard ass but she's cool.”

I chuckled and he looked at me. “You just wanna bang her.” He opened his mouth to protest and then closed it nodding.

“She smells fantastic.”

“Yup, and it would be a very educational lay for you. Probably the best sex with a woman in my entire life.” At that he raised a brow and grinned. “I don't think she could handle this,” I said as I rubbed his growing torpedo. He let out a sigh that turned into a bit of a giggle when my hand slipped over his lower abs and undid his pants. That was when the door was practically torn off its hinges as it was bashed down. Pat and I leaped to our feet and cleared the couch to the front door area in a second to see what the hell was going on, me snagging the pendant on the way by.

There stood two Lupus in their human skin and of all things two Ferals! The Ferals were bound by collars and chains held by the Lupus. The scent was thick and I knew they were not here for social time. I snorted and crouched low, growling “Get out of my house.”

The taller Lupus let go of his leash and the Feral lunged for Pat who was already enacting his change. It put him at a temporary disadvantage since he was racked with pain, but it would even the odds soon enough. “You stay here,” said the tall one, “I'll get the boy.”

Dylan...

I was confronted by the other Feral that was now loose, but it came in with more caution than its ilk and I had enough time to wrap the chain around my hand. “Dylan, wake up and run!” I roared, but I could not tell if he heard me, although with the noise he'd probably woken up already. The Feral slashed at me but I grabbed his claw and ground my fist into his chest, the silver sizzling as it connected. The howl was muffled as I clamped down on his muzzle with my armpit, dropping and slamming him to the floor. I got a good claw rake across my side but all it did was piss me off. My own change enacted and I knew without a doubt I was more than a match for this one...

...but not when the shorter Lupus joined in with a silver knife. I felt fire blossom along my side and my scream turned into a howl as he dragged the blade along a rib and out. This was not good. I could touch silver but it hurt me like I was a normal human. There would be no fast healing this wound. My eyes clamped shut as I pulled, snapping the neck of the Feral and leaving its body on the floor as I slowly rose to tower over the Lupus who was suddenly not so brave anymore.

Pat stood beside me, his own Feral dead on the floor with its head somewhere detached from its body. I clamped my paw on my side to stop the bleeding as much as I could. “You will die now,” I snarled.

“Or the boy will,” came the voice of the tall one as he came down the stairs with Dylan held kicking and punching by the throat. “Step aside, Pat. And no use hiding your change now, Jon. Angus will be told soon enough.”

“Put Dylan down and I'll let you leave here alive.” All that did was get Dylan's throat squeezed tighter and he wheezed out a help. I judged if I could grab Dylan before he was hurt further and knew I could not. Pat and I stepped back. He relaxed his grip. “Why? What has he done?”

“You don't know? Then I won't enlighten you. You Lunais filth! You should never have been born.” He was slowly walking down the stairs. “Change back, garbage, or I'll just kill him right here.” We did as ordered, me falling to my knees as I could not keep my balance with the wounds and change. “Hmm, I like that view. Lunais, on their knees in front of me. You too, Pat. On your knees.” Pat growled but did as ordered. “Useless dogs! I...”

He was cut off as his brain was splattered all over my wall by a bullet fired from a gun outside. I barely heard the silenced gun, but I saw its results. Dylan was dropped and he fell down the last few stairs in a heap of tears, but he was otherwise unhurt from what I could see. The last Lupus went wide-eyed and dove for the door only to stop as he too was killed by a single shot, this one to the heart. I could see the neat hole was splattered with silver nitrate. Someone watched too many movies...thank you Hollywood. “Dylan!” I crawled to him as best as I could.

He looked at me and waved me to stay. “I'm okay,” he said hoarsely and looked out the door with wide eyes. I didn't stay as told and went to him to look him over, the pendant still wrapped around my hand.

Pat stood and went to the door. “Nice shot Darius.” My head whipped around to see the man come through the door with his son who had a high powered rifle, the kind that would take the head off a Lycanthrope. “Jon, how's the cut?”

“Bleeding but not as bad as it could be. These scratches are worse.” I looked up when Darius came in and crouched.

“I would say we needed to get you to the hospital for the scratches, but that's useless. What I want to know is how you can touch silver and hide your scent.” He was not demanding, just curious. “Silver knife and you're still alive. Neat trick. Tommy, call a few Hunters, ones that won't let this event be talked about.” He nodded and pulled out a cell phone. “Damn Ferals right in the city. This is not good.”

“No kidding. Dad should be told.” Pat was setting about cleaning up the Ferals' bodies as best as he could.

“I already called him when we scented them.” He looked at Dylan. “You well enough to grab some bandages for Jon? If not just sit tight.” Dylan got up and stumbled up the stairs, proving he was being brave to do this with a hurt ankle and rapidly growing bruises around his throat. “Brave kid you got there.”

“You have no idea. Darius, thanks. Really. You saved his life.”

He smiled tightly. “I'm glad a Lupus could atone a bit for previous wrongs against the kid.” Darius stepped aside to help me up and Dylan came in with all the bandages in the house, Neosporin, and of all things wolfsbane. “Resourceful little guy.”

“If someone gets wind he was scratched, they'll smell this on him and it should keep his secret a bit longer.” Tommy looked very impressed as he was talking on the phone.

When he hung up he said, “They'll be here in ten minutes. The Leader...is pulling up now. Shall I go home, Pop?”

Darius was thinking about it when Pat spoke up. “No. Let my father meet you. It's always a good thing to be in favor of the Leader.” Darius nodded to his words and took the bandages from Dylan to help wrap me up.

Mr. Andrews came in looking about as angry as I had ever seen him and he glared at the bodies as if he could kill them all over again. His scent was furious but he was fully in control. “Darius, glad you were in the neighborhood. You boys okay?”

“I'm fine, Dad, just a few bites really. Jon's got a silver knife wound as you can see. Your little trick did the work, however you did it. Dylan?”

“Been better but not a scratch on me. Just a sore throat.”

The Leader nodded sagely. “Glad to see you're okay. Relatively speaking of course. You, young man.” He turned to Tommy. “Thomas, right?” He looked completely shocked the Leader knew his name. “Nice shot there. How far away were you?”

“Maybe a hundred yards, sir.” He pointed out the door. “Over by the azaleas.” That was across the street and down five houses.

“Well done. You're, what, fifteen now?” He nodded. “Good. Darius, with your permission, I would like to sponsor him for Hunter training. We could use a good shot like him.”

Darius looked a bit shocked. Hunters were rarely selected so young, being chosen usually after they finish college. And to be sponsored by the Leader...he had never heard of such a thing. “When he graduates, and if he wants it.”

Mr. Andrews looked at Tommy. “And would you like that? If not, then I will have to find some suitable way to repay you since you saved the life of Dylan, possibly my son, and a valued member of the company and a man worthy of respect.”

I smiled at the thoughtful look on the boy's face. I was also smiling because he had put Dylan's name first, as if that was the biggest thought in his mind. “Well, sir, I would like that, but that being three years away, I might change my mind or worse.”

“Then...hmm...an internship in the company mail room for now. Two hours a night and eight hours on either Saturday or Sunday, provided your grades are steady, with full benefits and pay. If you choose to not become a Hunter, then you'll have real world experience and a job reference for your future.”

That was a great offer and one no one would pass up. “Thank you, sir. That would be amazing.”

“Then it's settled. I'll drop the message to Mr. McLeod. You'll start after the next moon.” That was in a bit over a week. “The authorities have arrived. Jon, can you and Dylan stay with Pat tonight while we clean this mess up?”

“Yeah. You can tell me the official story tomorrow. B&E?”

“Sound about right. Drunken idiot had the wrong house I say.” We all nodded, including Darius and Tommy. “Gather your things. Pat, get a few things for Jon while he's checked out.” Five Hunters in police and paramedic uniforms came in, the lights from their vehicles rousing the neighbors enough to form a group around my house.

“Nothing to see here,” said one of them. “Ma'am please step back onto the sidewalk.”

“I think it would be best if we had your gun for now,” said an officer to Tommy who handed it over a bit reluctantly. “Good shot though, kid.”

While I was taken outside for the paramedics to look over, Darius stood by. “Jon, how long have you been infected?”

“Actually, a bit over two months. A week after I got here. Pat and I got a bit rowdy.” Darius chuckled.

“Ah. Nice choice of words. And you came out Lunais-infected rather than Lupus.” I told him our theories on why and about the silver pendant. “I knew Travis was tricky, but to do that with silver without anyone knowing...amazing.”

“Travis?”

“Oh. Mr. Andrews.” He was on a first name basis with the Leader. “The head of the Hunters in my pack-father.” I looked confused and I know I did. “Um, like a mentor program for newly infected. Like an adoption into a pack family.” That I understood.

“Huh. That explains how Tommy had Hunters on his phone high enough to not be asked questions.”

“Yeah. Michael loves Tommy since he never had kids of his own. He's pack-father to, I think, thirty Lupus.” That was a large foster family. “Jon, I will tell you that your secret is safe with me. While I will not speak ill of the Leader-in-Waiting, I do not fully endorse some of his beliefs and know why you feel you must keep this from him.”

“Thanks Darius. Perhaps once this has been cleaned up you and Tommy could come over for dinner some time. Bring your daughter. That way Tommy can see Lunais are not really filth and Dylan can know some other Lupus other than Mr. Andrews.”

Darius nodded. “You are a good man, Jon. That boy needs someone like you in his life. I would like that. Maybe it will help Tommy break away from his group of friends too. If they're saying things like that I don't think I want him associating with them anymore anyway.” Darius and I talked while I was stitched up on the spot and told I would live and to call if anything got worse. Then I was set free and Darius went home with Tommy who was still getting praise from the Hunters discreetly.

Dylan waved a good bye to them and I knew it was genuine. Now the big question is why? What was Dylan to make him a target?

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 22
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This story brings us up to date on some threads while seeding some possible new developments. It's amazing how the author can set the scene with such economical use of language, and it's good to see the balance between his business side and his personal side. My only frustration is that whenever things seem headed for some hot wolfman sex, it gets interrupted! Those times are when we have a chance to see more of Jon and Pat's personal relationship, which is really central to the story and important to me. Both Jon and Pat have some big changes going on both mentally and emotionally and I'm really interested to see how they are working thru these, and building their relationship. Their love has not been expressed so much lately, and they'll need it for some of the challenges ahead.

Aside from raising Dylan, it appears that they'll have responsibilities to the Pack regarding breeding, so their valuable genes can be used. Plus a while bunch of other possibilities...

I was so happy to see new chapters being published. Looking forward to new developments!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Hmmm, is Dylan going to turn out to be something more than he appears?  I have a suspicion but we will see.  Really well done chapter, can't wait to see where you take this.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great Chapter indeed! Out of nowhere the attack happens, leaving me with many questions and wanting to know the answers!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The trip to California was fun.  I liked how Dylan got to do things he never had believed would happen.  The costume was great, and fooled Tommy by its authentic look.  The attack was unexpected, but seems to have been at the order of Angus.  Why would Angus target Dylan. How will Mr. Andrews respond to the attack tomorrow?  Will Angus be called on the carpet for this? It looks like Jon, Patrick and Dylan have the allegiance of Darius and Tommy in the future.  They certainly are good neighbors to have.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..