Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 14,426 Words
  • 9,661 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Full Moon - 5. Chapter 5

I took the next day off, any normal human would have after a knife wound to the side, but truth be told it hurt as if I were a regular guy. The scratches were slower in healing than normal and Pat says it's because of the silver in my system which would be gone soon enough. The evening spent at Pat's apartment was one of the worst in memory. Feverish, chills, sweats, nausea and of all things...I was hornier than I could remember. The entire place smelled so much like Patrick that I was inundated by his scent and it drove me crazy. There was no escaping it. Pat knew what I was going through and he said I would be in the bed and he would be in the couch. Dylan was taking the guest room.

“No buts, Jon. You're hurt worse than you're wanting to let on. I can feel the heat from here.” He was standing a good ten feet away.

“I'll be fine, right?” He nodded and I settled back into the bed that smelled so much of him, but in a stale way. He had not slept in the bed for the past few weeks. I looked for Dylan, but he was already sleeping in the next room. “So...why?”

Pat shook his head. “I don't know, but I'll do some digging. Dad knows a lot more than he lets on about the outside workings. The question I want answered is what the hell were Ferals doing in the middle of Salem. There are at least fifty Lycans between your house and the edge of the city in all directions. Someone would have seen them, smelled them, or whatever. It doesn't add up.”

I nodded, somewhat startled by the fact that there were so many Lycans near my house. It was daunting and a bit unnerving. “Under it.”

“The sewers. I'll ask Gene to poke around. He knows it the best out of all of us.”

Pat didn't even try to wake me for work the day after, and Dylan stayed home from school as well. He watched me like a mother hen all day, sketching away when not doing his homework which was done in less than an hour. Sketch after sketch, he depicted the nightmare of the last night too well. His main focuses were the Ferals. Also how the brains looks splattered on the wall. When asked, he said he was fine. I didn't pry, no sense in it as I knew he would not tell me if he didn't want to. When my fever was high he brought me a lot of water and cold compresses which he changed out after only a minute since they had gotten hot.

When Pat got home he looked to be in one mondo good mood. He brought in his laptop on a TV tray and set it up. “This will make your day. I wish you had seen it.” He held up a DVD and put it on.

The scene was the office building board room and the heads of all the departments were there along with Angus and Mr. Andrews. It was footage from security cameras. “May I ask why you have asked us here, Mr. Andrews?” Angus asked and I could tell he was not happy.

“Simple. Two Ferals were in the heart of Salem last night.” The heads looked confused and mumbled a bit to themselves. “We will get to what happened in a moment, but this is the second time in three months they have been allowed into Pack territory.” Mr. Andrews was steadily staring Angus right in the eyes, the most obvious challenge in all of the animal kingdom. “Twice and both times it directly affected my son. I will say this crystal clear, Angus. If any more Ferals come within ten miles of this city while your training period is in effect then I will remove you.” The grin that split my face at the suppressed anger in Angus's could not be stopped.

“You are well within your rights to...” Angus began, but Mr. Andrews held up his hand even as he interrupted him.

“And if said Ferals come within sight of my son, Jonathan Davenport or young Dylan Parker, then I will have you removed from the Pack, this city, and this planet. I will kill you myself if my son is so threatened again. Is that clear?” Angus's jaw worked and I heard him grinding his teeth, but he nodded all the same. “Good. This has been your only mistake, Angus, but it has been a costly one. See it does not happen again. If not, I say publicly you will become Leader.”

One head, Miss Janet Miller, raised her hand to speak. When acknowledged she cleared her throat and said “Forgive me for speaking out of turn, but what happened? We all know about the first incident and about the child, but there has been something else?”

“Yes. For better or for worse, Jonathan now knows about Lycanthropes.” There was a collective groan. Angus sat up straighter. “Yes. It's hard to hide when two Ferals are led in on leashes to his house and the door was busted in. They were after Dylan from what I was told. Thankfully two Lupus were there within minutes to remove the threats, one of whom was a fifteen year old pup.”

“The new intern,” said Angus and Mr. Andrews nodded.

“Jon was scratched.” There was another groan. “Pat has treated the wounds and very thoroughly. Since he was wearing the silver pendant when he was scratched, there is little chance the virus will take hold, but be ready for the possibility, Angus.” I don't know if I really liked that they knew I knew about the Lycans and that I had been scratched, but it was out in the open now. “He knows Pat is one, but he does not know the company is all Lycans. That day is a bit far off I say.” Ah, so I was to remain ignorant of the company.

“That is probably best. And do you think Jonathan still a candidate?”

“I do. His reaction towards Pat did not change, although he now knows why Pat avoids him during the full moons.” Mr. Andrews was telling them and me what the game was, only they thought it was real.

“Led in, you say?” asked Evan Hansen.

“Yes. Two Lupus. Outsiders, but still our own kind. I am asking you, all of you, to keep a lid on this around Jon as much as you can. Security needs to be tightened, Angus. This the last I will talk about this. One more favor to ask is this. Can anyone tell me why a boy would be the target of this event?”

Angus nodded. “His last foster parents, it turns out, came upon some information about the company's former Personnel Head and used it to worm close to three hundred thousand dollars out of him before he was sent away.” Dylan looked very confused. “The child is to inherit all of the money when he turns eighteen, unless he ends up dead. Then the money reverts to an unnamed account. Jonathan, as his legal guardian, can't touch it. Even post mortem.”

I looked at Dylan who sat there processing this new info. His brow was knit in confused thought. “It's a lie. They would have moved out of the small house we lived in if they had that much cash.”

Angus was still talking. “The four who killed them were Outsiders contracted to keep them from the money and getting more.”

More was said, but all of it boring. That is until the meeting broke up. Then Angus stormed up to Mr. Andrews. “You dare come in here and say this in front of the entire heads?”

“Yes.” Angus stood a head taller than Mr. Andrews, but there was no ounce of fear at all. “If you will kindly step back I won't have to rip out your throat and send it home to your wife and pups.” The ultimatum was delivered as if he was talking about passing the salt. Angus fumed for a moment and then took a few steps back. “There. If you remember I also told you, and them, that you will be Leader, which is a public vote of confidence. They have heard what I said and as long as you can keep those mongrels out of the territory, you will be Leader. While I do not believe the same as you, your leadership is without question. The Pack will be in good hands.”

Angus visibly calmed. “Thank you. I apologize for my behavior. This has been a trying time since Jon moved in.”

“I know. He's shook up, believe me. But, with your goals in mind, keep Pat with him. They work well together and as for their relationship, it will keep Lycans in a good light so Jon will be more accepting when he is asked.”

“A good bit of advice. Patrick and Jonathan do make a good team, and while I am not exactly thrilled that breeding males are paired up, I know they are both smart enough to know feelings will have to be set aside for the good of the Pack. Now, if you will excuse me, I must see about keeping this event from the media as much as possible.” Mr. Andrews waved him away.

When Angus was gone, the Leader turned to the camera and spoke to me. “Got that, Jon?” then the recording ended.

“All of that was for show right?” Dylan asked.

“If you mean how my Dad reacted, no. He'll kill Angus if he steps out of line.” Dylan nodded but he was a bit upset. “Does it change how you see my Dad?”

“A bit. Makes me like him more that if it comes to it he likes me more than that dick.” We laughed at that.

“Glad to hear it. Oh, and Dylan, you're coming to the next picnic, right?” Pat asked and the boy's face lit up brighter than the sun. “I asked around and the Lunais said they would love to meet you. Show you a side of Lycans you haven't seen much.”

“I can really go?” We nodded and got big hugs.

The next full moon came the night after Gene made his report. He didn't tell Angus, he told Micheal Jenkins, the head of the Hunters who just happened to be over with Darius and Tommy. My place was cleaned up and the door replaced and we had only been gone a few days. Michael was a small man, relatively speaking. Lean, wiry, he stood only six feet tall, but he missed nothing. This was a wolf who got where he was by brains and something I would never know. Dylan respected him if not outright liked him and Michael seemed to accept that.

The knock had come about an hour after dinner while we were all around the TV watching the third Harry Potter movie. It was Darius' human daughter's favorite movie and I admit I liked it too. When the knock came I waved Pat to stay seated and got up to answer it. “Gene. Welcome, won't you come in.”

“Sorry to intrude, Jon, but I heard that Michael was here.” I led him in to the living room.

“Dylan, why don't you take Tommy and Tabitha up stairs and show them some of your art.” He nodded and the others got up, knowing this was adult business. Gene sat where the little dude had been.

“The Ferals have used the sewers, but only as far Splaine Park. They came from the wharf areas.” He told us how he tracked them back to the piers and it was only a hop, skip and jump to my house from Splaine Park which is across the street from where Darius lived, all things considered.

“Then they came in by ship.” Micheal got this look in his eye, one I liked. “I'll look into the shipping manifests. Anything that put into port that day I'll know about.”

“Go back a few days. I found enough scat in one location that said they had been in the sewers for three days or so.” Michael nodded and left to go question Gene alone.

“A shame Dylan is the target of all this.” Darius shook his head.

“Yeah. Little dude's been through enough. Still we're a bit better prepared for this now.”

“How are the injuries healing?”

“Good.” I showed him my side. The scratches were almost gone and the knife slash was red but healing. “I should get some decent healing tomorrow night.”

“Ah, the Lunais meet. What will you do with Dylan?”

“He'll be coming with us. The Lunais are eager to help him through what trauma he has and I want to keep an eye on him. Where better than surrounded by over a hundred Lycans I can at least have a conversation with.”

Darius looked and smelled surprised. “Isn't he...apprehensive?”

“Nope. He wants to go.”

Darius only shook his head. “I worry now. About Tabitha. Normally she goes and stays with her grandmother in Boston during the full moon, but Edith is out of town this week.”

Pat and I exchanged a look. “If she wants she can come with us. Offspring are always welcome at the meet and she can keep Dylan company since they'll be the only humans there and it could get a bit overwhelming.”

“Really? That's very kind.”

The full moon was up enough that we had changed, but we had gone to the site ahead of time so we didn't have to take the kids through the sewers. That would not have been good even if they had not been used recently by the Ferals. Dylan was a bit subdued, it was only a month ago this day he had lost his foster parents. Even if life was not all that great, there was some connection. Yet, when Pat and I came back from our Changes in our Lycan forms his smile was huge. Tabitha was wide eyed but grinning herself. She had shown a remarkable amount of spunk and fire within her. Had to have it when her family were slobbering drool machines for three nights out of the month.

“Wow. You are really pretty,” she said to Pat who I know was pleased even though he just shrugged. “Pop never let me see him during the full moon except when it was a must. Too dangerous.”

“He's right. He loves you very much, but Lupus lose their humans selves in the moon.” Pat set down the bags of food for the evening and set about to make the bonfire teepee. The logs were eight feet long and a foot thick and he just set them up as if they were nothing.

A stray breeze carried a scent to me and I stood and smiled. “Hey Gene.” Dylan spun when he heard the bushes rustle and saw Gene, his smile getting huge again. The little dude had gotten used to us, but seeing another Lunais brought out all the inner nerd in him.

“Well now. Looks like we have some guests. Dylan, I can see your molars from here.” He came in with his stealthy gait and set down some bags of his own to crouch before the little dude and Tabitha. “Welcome, pups.”

“Gene, you look better now. Especially that really cool shock of silver.” Gene had a silver stripe above his left eye to his ears.

“That I got in a fight against four Ferals. The other pups have all heard the tale, but since this is your first picnic, I'll give you the short version.” He sat on the story log and they sat at his feet. I did too because this would be both educational and probably fun. Pat just started the fire. “I was a much younger wolf then, barely into my thirties and a Hunter in training.” I perked up. “I'll say that I was the first and only Lunais to be trained then, the stigma was much stronger. Yet I was chosen. I was on a routine patrol near the Mexi-Cali border when I spotted two sets of Lycan tracks leading from the water. They were exceptionally heavy and I figured they would be easy for me to overcome.” Gene was fast and agile even as a human. “I radioed my location in and set out...against the advice of my superior.” Dylan chuckled while I nudged him from behind. “I found them quickly. I found four of them.”

Tabitha was staring open-mouthed but hung on his every word. Gene's voice had that feel to it, like you should listen. “They just looked at me at first and then decided I was no threat. Growling a warning, they turned their backs on me and proceeded on their hunt of a pair of cattle that had strayed from the herd.”

“Uh oh,” Dylan said with mock horror.

“Uh oh is right. I didn't like being ignored back then so I growled my own warning. That got their attention and I got hurt badly. Three of them died before my own help arrived. But it was not from a Canis.”

“Was it an owl?” Dylan asked.

“Apt guess, pup, but no. Something far more rare.”

“A boar? Pop says a few of them still exist.” Tabitha suddenly had Dylan's attention. More than wolves and other hunters? A boar was herbivorous so this was new to him.

“Perhaps even more rare than them. Pantera Leo Solaris.” Even I was confused. “Ah, the new ones are always confused. Solaris are Lycans, but they turn during the day and only when they choose, except during rare eclipses. Just as there are wolves for the moon, there are those for the sun. This was a werelion, and there is no lunar cousin.” He had them, and me, riveted. I had never heard even one story about solar Lycanthropes. By the look on Dylan's face he was almost in heaven.

“That old tale?” Tabitha said. “I don't mean to be rude, but Pop said they're a myth. All the Solaris are.”

“Wise as your father is, pup, he does not know everything. But I will say this. I was bleeding heavily and the sun was hot. I could have been hallucinating...but I don't think so.”

I looked at Pat who was grinning, his tongue lolling out of his mouth. He had heard the stories all before and if he gave them any credence, he didn't say it and his scent was not giving it away. Solar Lycans? I had never heard of that, even from Hollywood. Dylan's face was lit like Christmas but a bit confused. Could he have heard something about them? I would have to ask later.

The Lunais came in families and pairs, a good precaution since the Feral attacks. I knew them all by scent now and more than half by name. Dylan and Tabitha were the only humans there but no one made a big deal about that. In fact, some of the younger kids openly included them in games like hopscotch, telling the best lies and joke contests. Things a human would not have a distinct disadvantage at. Tabitha and some of the girls were doing each others hair, a difficult task for the Lunais whose manual dexterity was decreased, but she loved it. So did they because it included brushing.

I saw the little dude over with a group of boy and he was engaging in an arm-wrestling competition. Wandering over I asked, “A bit unfair?”

Dylan was panting and puffing, the other pup not even trying. “Dyl's not 'pecting ta win, Jon. He jus' wanna see how strong he is.” I knew this pup was born and raised in the South...but wow. I though had one mondo accent to get rid of. “For a skinny guy he ain't so weak.” I grinned and put a single finger in the mix and helped Dylan win. The other guys laughed. “No fair!”

“Hey, I never had a hand in it.” That got a groan from the bad joke.

Pat came over and hoisted Dylan into the air and over his shoulder. “Um, Pat, I can walk.” He didn't even try to struggle.

“I know, but you have been there all night.” The little dude thought and nodded. He would have. “And there are some folk who want family portraits drawn.”

At that he perked up. “Really? You mean...I can actually sketch an entire family?”

“Four.” He was now giggling his fool head off. To study not only Lycans, but Lunais males, females and children? Yup, he was distracted for the night.

Gene came over with a glint in his eye. “I'll watch the pups.” At first I was wondering why he would offer that, then I smelled Pat. He wanted alone time.

“Thanks, Gene.” He nodded and I slipped away from the group and took off as fast as I could with my injury. Even with the healing powers I had it was slow in healing but far better than yesterday. I knew Pat would be able to catch me, but I was not going to make it easy for him. I had the pendant.

When I got to the small river I slipped in quietly and let it float me down stream while I doggy paddled. I let it carry me around a bend to a shoal and sat there because I heard and smelled Pat had followed my trail to the river. I knew he would eventually find my trail from the river, so I sat there. I heard him head upstream and then silently slipped back into the main stream and then looked to see if he was there, sniffling and listening with all my senses wide...nope, he had gone upstream. Good. I knew where I was going and got out of the water and ran on through the night as fast as I could. Hunt me now, I thought as I slipped in and out of the stream, up trees and jumping from each to throw him off.

Around midnight I got to the spot I was headed to...and there was Pat waiting for me. I stood up and shook my head. “Am I that predictable?” I panted out and he barked his cute laugh.

“I found your trail downstream. After a few miles I knew where you were headed.” He came over and licked my jaw. “Romantic?”

I nodded. The clearing had not changed at all since our first night. I had gone to the spot where he had turned me without really knowing it. “By the way you were smelling, I knew you wanted something fun.”

“The chase was fun, but getting here first was funny.” Carefully he checked my wound. “Slowed you down I think.”

“Yeah. You wouldn't have been able to catch me easily if I were healthy.” I took him in my arms and licked around his muzzle. The one mondo huge drawback: can't kiss him. “Now, where were we two months ago?” My paw slid down his hairy body to fondle his already rising dick, both of us remembering where we were.

“Jon, are you sure? I don't want to hurt you.” As an answer I tripped him and he landed on his back with a thud. I was in the mood to be feisty and the answering yip said he was more than ready to let me. When I straddled his crotch, he whined and like last time, the time that seemed so long ago, I took it quickly. It was painful, but nothing compared to the knife wound, and again there was something there that felt good. “Oh god, Jon. I...” he stopped even as I did, hearing a diesel engine coming down the trail to this clearing. We both growled and I pulled off as we slipped into the woods to duck behind cover. “I swear, if we try this one more time and get interrupted I'm going to punch their brains through their asses.” I stifled a laugh and we began to fade away.

Then we stopped. “You sure no one is around?” asked a voice as they got out of the truck. It was a deep, raspy voice Pat perked up at hearing.

“Yes, the Lunais are miles away and the Lupus don't stay anywhere near them since those four killed that boy's family.”

Obviously humans who knew about Lycans, most likely Hunters. “Good. We got our orders from the higher ups. The goods will be coming in from Canada.”

“Great. Last time was too much of a waste. Not enough time for everyone to have some.”

Some...some what? I looked at Pat who shrugged. “We sure the boy is with the Lunais?” asked raspy. There was only one boy I knew of and I wanted to storm in right then and confront them about it. Pat held me back with a shake of his head.

“Yeah. That freak-show son of the former leader took him along. Probably to let his faggot-ass boyfriend have some rest.” Pat and I looked at each other and went to get up, but we were pulled back by strong jaws.

Darius stood there, his blonde fur rather nice looking. How had he snuck up on us? How did he know where we were? The look he gave us said we should not go rushing in, but listen and learn. A smaller Lupus was hiding to our right and I knew it was Tommy. Why were they here?

“Never gonna get to him now. The higher ups want to get that boy away from Jon and Pat. He's the key to all of this.” There it was again. Dylan was something more than even he knew. Dammit, what was my son?

“Just keep your eyes open. If them freaks leave the boy alone for any reason, grab him.” There must have been some sign of affirmation because they left quickly.

Once gone, the mood gone, Pat and I looked back at Darius. He and Tommy sat on their haunches with more than an bit of caution.

What are you doing here? asked Pat. Rather, his whine and postures asked.

Hunter-Leader-Father suspicious, said Darius. He must have meant Michael. Sends us to track. It was hard for me to understand fully the complex language, but I was learning more every day.

Is your memory sharp? Pat asked and Darius shook his head. Some Lycan could remember quite a bit from when they changed, Darius was not one of them. Young Hunter?

Tommy yipped softly. It was a small honor to be called a hunter, the young part saying he would be one some day. Memory is strong. This one will remember.

“Good. Jon, we should head back to the meet.”

“Yeah. Guys, thanks.” They faded into the trees and soon I could hear nothing and they were down wind. “Dammit, how am I supposed to get you alone for hot wolfman sex? I mean come on!” Pat chuckled a bit and we started back at a slow trot.

Once back Gene gave us a brief knowing look but it slipped when he saw we had not gotten what we wanted. “Dare I ask?”

“I have no idea, really. Dylan is being targeted by some Hunters. Something about goods coming in from Canada and him being the key.” Pat obviously trusted Gene enough with this information.

“I'll see what I can find. Your father made his appearance. The picnic was a different one this time. No one bowed.” I raised a brow in a bit of shock. “I should say no one was prostrate. At the waist, like you did. He seemed to find that a good thing.” We followed his gaze to where Mr. Andrews lay with Dylan resting against his barrel and sketching one of the families. “That pup of yours...he's an odd one, but make no mistake he was well received and well liked. Tabitha is more normal to us, being raised by Lycans for the most part.”

“What's odd? Other than him loving Lycans?”

“That's the odd thing. His love stems from a knowledge so deep it's scary. Not only does he know a Lycan on sight, he sees families. He saw that Allen was my nephew at a glance.”

He could tell familial ties? My little dude was becoming more spooky every day, which was actually kinda cool. “Huh,” was my only response. “Gene, do we have any teachers in our numbers? I suddenly do not like the idea of public school for Dyl.”

“A few. One is a high school teacher. I don't think it would be too hard for her to fit the pup in.” He saw right to the problem I was having. “She works at Salem High.”

Not a bad place, the little I knew about it. “I'll talk to the little dude. Moving schools might not be cool with him, but the Lycan teacher might sweeten the deal.”

The conversation came up the next day when Dylan realized we were being a bit more observant than normal. “Guys, why the sudden hovering?”

Candid as always. “Told you he would be suspicious,” Pat said with a snicker.

“Honestly, we're worried.” I told him why and all the while he was straight faced and silent, that old defense he used when he didn't want to tip his hand. “So we're being clingy.”

“I don't get it,” he said. “Why me, I'm not special.”

“Something is up, something to do with Lycans and you and your former fosters.” I didn't know what and neither did Dylan. “But leave that alone for now. Do you have a problem with moving schools? Salem High is a good one, and your teacher is Lycan.”

He grinned. “And leave that hell hole? Happy to leave there.”

“That easy?” He nodded. Pat gave me a hug and kiss.

“Umm...guys, eating breakfast?” We broke the kiss off and pulled him into a hug. “Ack! Lycan love.”

 

 

That night was something of a godsend. Betty, her daughter Heather, and Gene dropped by before sunset with popcorn, pizza and a stack of DVDs. When I had answered the door, Betty came in and gave me a look. “We're here to keep Dylan busy while you and Pat go out. You two need some time to be a couple.”

I just looked at her. “Can I nominate you for sainthood?” She nodded. “Dylan, we have furry company for the evening.” I heard him scramble and come down stairs. He was dressed in his pj bottoms already and did a flying hug for Gene.

“Hey there pup. Brought some movies. Heather picked them out so you can yell at her for bringing nothing but Disney.” Gene set him down.

“Really? Yer the best, Heather.” The younger girl smiled prettily.

“That's all set. Pat and I are apparently going out.”

“We are?” he asked, coming down the stairs wearing his own tear away pants. I was getting into the habit of wearing loose fitting pants for the moons so I could strip faster.

“By order of Betty.”

“Ah. Yes ma'am.” He went back upstairs. “Get dressed for dinner, Jon.”

“How dressed?”

“Suit. Bring casuals too. Enough for a night away from home.” I looked at Betty who nodded. Had they communicated beforehand? Or during? Cause I hadn't heard anything.

“You're okay with this?” I asked.

“Sure. You guys need some time to not worry about the curve balls you've been thrown. Dylan will be fine. Mr. Andrews will be here tomorrow and us again in the evening.”

“I smell a conspiracy. C-O-N-spiracy.” Betty gave me a look like I was being dumb, so I went up stairs to pack. Dylan came up to grab his pillows and sketch book. “Uh oh. Looks like someone is going to be seeing some more transformations.”

“Only Gene. Betty says I'm too young to watch her.” He snapped his fingers like he was disappointed and I had to laugh and give him a high five.

“You gonna be okay without us for a few days?” I was not worried for his physical safety, not with the watchers he had, but ever since I had adopted him I had tucked him in every night. Some nights sleeping on the floor in his room if he had a nightmare.

“Yeah. I mean who's gonna mess with Gene. And Betty will nag 'em until they kill themselves.”

“I heard that,” she yelled from downstairs and all the guys laughed.

Dressed, packed and ready to go, Pat grabbed his keys to the Hummer and steered me towards that. We had a little over an hour until I would worry about changing, my arms were already starting to itch, so I wondered where we would go. I asked as much.

“You said last week you missed fresh seafood.” I started to drool. “So I'm taking you to Finz.” God I love this man! I hadn't had any good seafood since I came here and I am a huge salmon, crab and shrimp lover. Like, I would totally eat it with every meal were it not so expensive.

Wharf Street was a bit empty tonight, but that was okay. Less people meant less chances to be seen should we have to bolt for changing. With it right on the water I hoped it would be fresh. While it may not be seafood, it was hugelakefood. Good enough for me. The interior was clean and smelled of exactly what it should: fish and beer. Not the stale kind either. There were only three other couples this early so we pretty much were alone. “Welcome to Finz. I'm Nina, your hostess. Table for two?” Pat nodded and we were led to another section of the restaurant. “Can I start you out with something to drink? Or an appetizer?”

Pat nodded. “I'll have the rope grown mussels and a blueberry ale.”

“And for you?” she asked.

“Hmm. It all looks so good. I'll have the wasabi-stoli oysters and a clementine.” She smiled whisked away. “Holy crap this place...can I eat it all?”

Pat smiled and took my hand, rubbing the back with his thumb. “Whatever you want. Mind you, if you order everything I won't be able to pay my rent, so I'll have to move in with you.”

“And this is a bad thing...how?” He chuckled and leaned a little closer. While we didn't set rules about PDA in actual public, he was respecting my choice to set them tonight. I kissed him softly. “I mean you stay with me every other night.”

“You really are amazing. You don't do anything half way, do you?” I shook my head. Go big or go home, that's what my foster dad taught me.

“Crap,” I said and pulled out my cell.

“What?” Pat looked worried.

“Nothing that serious. I have to make a very important phone call.” He nodded, but still held my hand. “Hey, old man. Yeah, it has been a few months. Been working the new job and settling in. Loving it. It's a good challenge learning everything new.” Pat grinned and nodded like this was something important. “So I got some news for ya. I was just thinking about what you taught me growing up. Go big or go home. Well, I've started a family.” I pulled the phone away and Pat stifled a laugh to hear the cheering on the other end. “Dad, I'm putting you on speaker, so keep the cheering down, we're in a restaurant.”

I clicked the button. “So you finally settled down?” Pat's smile got even bigger when he heard my Dad's heavy Aussie accent.

“More than ever. Not fully, yet, but I do have a wonderful person in my life. Been dating since I moved here pretty much. Say hi, Pat.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Davenport.”

There was a moment of silence. “Either she's a bass named Patricia or he's a baritone named Patrick.” I laughed at the smile on Pat's face. “Nice to meet you, Patrick. Has that child been behaving himself?”

“Nope, but that's why I love him. Keeps things interesting.”

“Good. I didn't raise a quiet boy. Has he sung for you yet?” I put my face in my hands to keep for laughing very loudly.

“No, he hasn't.”

“Good,” my dad said, “he's tone deaf.” I looked up with a red face to see Pat just laughing. My Dad has sung in the Sydney Opera House on numerous occasions. “Never submit yourself to that.”

“Thanks, old man,” I said and stuck my tongue out at the phone.

“Don't stick it out.” That only made us laugh harder. When our drinks arrived Dad was regaling Pat with stories of my youth. “And when he was thirteen he tried to surf behind the neighbor's Mo-ped.” I was just watching Pat who had tears streaming down his face. “Fifteen stitches and a broken arm later he was trying it again the next week.”

“Speaking of that age.” I said, “there is one last bit I haven't told you.”

“Saved the best for last, or the one I might fly out to Massachusetts to strangle you for?”

“Best, really. You're a grandpa now.” I started ticking off seconds on my watch.

Thirty-four seconds later he breathed. “Who do I have to send my condolences to that you knocked her up and then left her?”

“No one. I adopted.” The sound was something similar to getting the wind knocked out of you, but only in reverse. “He's an awesome little dude. Dylan is his name. You could fly out and see him, meet Pat. Oh, and while on the subject of a visit, if you do come, can you bring some of my old movies? The ones in the storage unit.”

“Adopted? A teenager?” I nodded. “Why?” This news brought out the business side of him and Pat's reaction was almost comical. He went from smiling to serious and a bit worried. Dad was a business man and kept private and business separate.

“He's been in and out for most of his life. He was the only one left alive after a wild animal attack and we found him in a tree. After shit like that, he didn't need to go into the system again, so he stayed with me until the hearing date and by then I knew I wanted him to stay. He's smart, talented, hates my boss.”

“Hmm, sound like you at that age as well. So this is more than just saving a child from the system?”

“Totally. Dad, once you meet him you'll know why.”

After dinner, we were driving out to another part of the hills in the opposite direction from our camping spot. Dad had been a bit more serious during the rest of the conversation, but he seemed in good spirits. “I see why you and my Dad get along so well.”

“Told you, Pat, I know how to deal with business family men. So where are we going? And did you plan this?”

“Going is secret and no. Betty and I...we understand each other. She used to be my babysitter and we had ways of talking without talking.” So they had known each other for years, maybe even decades. That would be an easy way to learn someone's thoughts. That or they had some super secret wolfman code I didn't know yet.

“Must be nice. So I don't get any hints?”

“We'll be entirely alone.” That sounded actually kinda nice. No Pack to annoy us, Dylan safe with members I trusted, no work to get in the way.

He turned off the road and onto a dirt one, pressed a button on the console of the Hummer and the gate in front of us swung open and then closed after we drove through. So this was not a rustic camp get away if there were remote gates. The drive wound around and up and then ended at a one floor compound. I call it that because it looked like it could house forty people or so. It was a log cabin on steroids. The roof topped out at twenty feet and I could see through some of the windows that it was all open space inside. Pat pulled up and quickly got out to unlock the door. I grabbed the cases and bolted in. I could feel the moon's pull strongly now. I got out of my suit in record time and just in time. My dress socks would be trash as I felt myself changing. While it was no less painful, it was something I had gone through enough times not to be bothered as much by it. It was taking less and less time to recover and I was up and mobile in a few moments, Pat already cleaning up our strip mess. “It does get easier.” He smiled over at me. “So, you, me alone in a log compound in the woods.”

Snickering, Pat put his paws on my hips. “You're close. This place is designed to be a safe house for a few dozen Lycans should the need arise.” Yikes.

“So we really are alone.” He nodded. “'Bout damn time. No murderous Lupus to hunt innocent humans, no Feral bearing Lupus to knock down the door, no hunters with cryptic messages about Dylan.” He yipped that cute puppy laugh of his and led me to the fireplace which came on as soon as we approached. “Motion sensors for the fireplace?”

“Dad wanted the best money could buy for me.” I raised a wolfy brow. “This was my home while I was growing up. Dad knew some Lycans would be peeved he had fathered a Lunais on a human, even if it was his human wife. So Mariam and I lived here after I was born.” We lounged by the fireplace my head on his shoulder while I pet his stomach. So this was his childhood home. All the amenities, great places to play, no one around should he go wolfman on his bossy sister. “I come back every once in awhile to see if the place needs cleaning or anything.” He licked my nose. “You're the first one I've brought here alone.”

“Romantic,” I rumbled and cuddled up closer. Not for warmth but just to be near him. Scary to think how fast we had fallen for each other. I couldn't imagine being without him in my life, not for a single day. I knew we were alone, knew we could do whatever we wanted, but right then, all I wanted was to be with him.

When I woke the next morning Pat was sound asleep on the floor, snoring softly and drooling a bit. So damn cute! It was rare for me to be up before him, so I slipped out from under his arm which was still wrapped around me and went to start breakfast. I was not surprised how well stocked the kitchen was and soon had a pot of coffee brewing and eggs frying in the grease from the bacon and sausage I cooked. I kept waiting for him to stir, but he kept right on snoring. That or he was faking it. I listened to the steady breathing and rhythm of his heart...nope, still sleeping. Then the potatoes were fried while the juicer went to work on the oranges.

I heard the change in Pat's breathing and heart rate and brought him coffee before he even sat up. “Good morning, my love. Breakfast will be served soon.” I gave him a kiss and the coffee, watching him try and compute all the strangeness.

“How are you awake? Is it one more thing my Dad made sure you can do?”

I laughed. “No clue. I woke up and wanted to make you breakfast. Everything was fried in bacon grease.”

“Are you trying to make me fat?” he asked with a bark.

“Like you ever could get fat. I haven't worked out since I was turned and I know I'm getting bigger in the arms and shoulders.” It was true. I hadn't touched the weights really and I was getting bigger. I would have to get new suits very soon.

When I brought him his breakfast he was salivating. “You are trying to make me fat.” I had put more than enough for two men on his plate.

“As if. I bet you finish that and go back for more.” He grinned.

And proved me right. He went back for another plate of the same size. “Why don't you cook like this all the time?”

“No time. With work and Dylan, I don't really have the time to do this except during the moon.” Pat nodded like it was true. I had more duties than most at the company. “And it can get expensive and not the healthiest thing. If you promise to be a good boy I'll make it for you next full moon too.” I ladled on sexual innuendo.

“Oh? And how can I prove I'm a good boy?” he asked, looking at me with those stunning eyes. Our scents were giving away our arousal.

I took his plate, noticing a large object had invaded his groin. I then replaced his plate with myself. Pat groaned a bit as I wiggled my ass against his dong, sliding my cheeks around until I felt the head press against my hole. “Oh, I'm sure you'll find ways.”

“Should I be loving?” he asked as he caressed my chest.

I leaned in, breathing into his ear, “I hope you can fuck me good, Pat, because I want you to know that today...you are my Alpha. I'm yours however you want me.” His entire body shuddered and he flipped me onto my back. While I was not normally into rough sex, for him I would do anything.

Pat began to bite and nibble his way down from my ears to my collar bone. Him and his road map. When I went to pull him back up for kisses he shook his head. “Keep your hands behind your head. You move them, I stop for the rest of the day.” I laughed, did as ordered, and I wondered what insidious evil plan he had in mind.

The first thing he did was start tickling me and I couldn't stop him. It was so low I almost kicked him off of me, but I would not wuss out yet, even though I was having trouble calling him vile names through the laughter. The look on his face was mischievous and very cute, actually. That was when he slid everything inside me and I gasped in both pain and pleasure. My legs wrapped around him and squeezed when he tried to pull out. He would have to hurt me to break the hold I had on him.

“Too fast?” I nodded. “And by the clamped legs I would say you don't want me to move.”

“Bingo. Fuck, why does it hurt more as a human?”

“Because there was no foreplay.” He caressed my cheek. “But you really mean it, don't you? That, to you, I can be Alpha.”

I smiled up at him and pulled him in for a kiss, barely wincing at the pain in my rump. So much of his life was spent with him being something like an omega wolf. You can't get much lower than that in a pack. Always being seen as something less than worthy, having to take what scraps he could get. True, his father is still the leader, but his birth stigma never goes away because of it. And maybe because of it people would seem to try and treat him better than his peers because he is the Leader's son. “Pat, I love you more than I have loved anyone else in my life. I love seeing that look in your eye when you catch me in a chase, when you win a verbal debate, when you come out on top in anything. That look that says 'I won this round and not because you let me'.” There was another look in his eyes right now. I have never seen anyone look at me like that. “It may seem like I'm letting you be on top, and I am. No man has been, or ever will be, in the the position you're in. Whether or not I'm an Alpha Male, I'm still an alpha personality.

“But I'm giving it up for you and you alone. You can be my alpha whenever you want.” He slid out slowly, my legs relaxing to let him do as he wished, but he slammed back in and I gasped. “Patrick Farris, you better not stop that else you're going to find yourself in the dog house.” That slam had pummeled my prostate and made my dick harder than it has been in a few weeks. He pulled out and slammed in again and again, harder each time but never to the point of trying to hurt me. This was Pat asserting his dominance over me and it was turning me on. His scent went through the roof and I was having a hard time keep my mind from shutting down and just giving in completely. Then I stopped trying to fight it and gave myself fully to him.

Pat flipped me to doggy style and grabbed onto my hips tightly. As he thrust forward he pulled backwards. I could hear the slap of flesh on flesh, but I could not tell you what it was for the pleasure I was feeling. It was a visceral feeling, a primal urge to please the man I loved in any way I could. I knew no other man would ever give me this pleasure even if I let him. I was moaning as he was growling deep in his throat. He claimed me and as some part of me knew he was reaching his climax, Pat bit into my shoulder and I howled. In that moment we both shifted to hybrid form and my own orgasm hit. Our howls mingled and harmonized in a way that sounded like the most wonderful music to me. We fell over panting and Pat released my shoulder from his rather toothy maw. I settled back against him, his dong still deep inside of me, and tried to reboot my brain to some semblance of human. It had been fast and animalistic and I knew I would let him do it again...after my ass healed.

“Wow,” he said and chuckled.

“No kidding. You actually made me howl and cum without touching my dick.” He half kissed, half licked the back of my neck and I shuddered. “If I was a female I would be worried about pups right now even if I wasn't in heat.” He was laughing which was making his dick jump within me and I hissed. “That hurts a lot more than it should.”

“Too much?” he asked, still concerned about me even after he proved thoroughly that he could breed with the best of them.

“For my first actual time, maybe, but I wouldn't have it any other way.” Pat pulled out slowly and we changed back to human, our bodies shivering from the spent energies. I rolled over to kiss him, but he climbed on top of me and put my hands back behind my head. I laughed, yet there was an edge of how much he was turning me on. I was still hard and I knew what Pat was going to do a split second before he did it, but I was not ready for it. As sensitive as I get after an orgasm like that, I was not ready for it at all. Pat took just the head into his mouth and swirled his tongue all over and I bucked, shoving my entire length down his throat. “Holy fuck. God that's just wrong!” I was whimpering and squirming, but I was given explicit orders not to move my hands. And it was feeling pretty good. I never had much of a tolerance for masochistic torture like this. Then, I never had a reason to let it go on. “You're risking mutiny, or hostile take over...or whatever the fuck you want to call it!”

“Good. I want to see how far I can push you before you push back,” he said for a brief moment and then dove back down.

“You're pretty damn close, Pat.” He grabbed my knees and put them over his shoulders and proceeded to bathe my balls with his tongue. I panted in both relief from the sensitivity torture and from the fact that that tongue of his was just acrobatically amazing. “I can't tell if this is punishment or I was somehow a good boy without knowing it.”

“Can't it be both?” he asked from between my thighs and I laughed, which turned into a gasp as his tongue went to work on my well worn hole.

“Oh boy. That...yes, that...” I knew I wasn't making much sense at that moment but I don't think he cared. Hell, I didn't care so long as he kept doing that. My toes were curling and uncurling and had I been human I would have had cramps in my calf muscles by now. With a quick gesture I was flat on my stomach and he was face first, devouring my hole. “Pat...” I heard him make a questioning noise but his tongue didn't stop. “Are you going to stop teasing me and get that dick of yours back in there?” I was almost begging.

“If you want,” he said, his voice husky with desire and he slipped his dong deep inside me again, but he didn't pound me like he did last time. This time he began to massage my shoulders and neck. “Feel good?” I mumbled something. Then he stretched out atop me, still inside, and just lay there. “Jon, I love you.” I said it back but it wasn't very intelligible. “My father was right. Those months ago...I found the one person I want to be with for the rest of my life.” He pulled out and rolled over to prop himself up on his elbow. “Even if it is just friends, I never want to lose you, Jon. I need to see your face as you smile, to hear your voice, to smell you. If only for brief periods I...”

I stopped him from talking with a kiss. “Patrick, those months ago I discovered something I thought a fairy tale. You see it in movies, you read about it in books, but you never see it in life unless you are very lucky.”

“Werewolves?”

“Love at first sight,” I said softly and he smiled so sweetly back at me. “It was your smile that made me ask if you wanted to hang out. Then I got to see you outside of work, and I didn't realize it but I loved you when I woke up and kissed you the first time. I mean, all of the insanity of seeing Lycans for the first time, seeing you hurt, killing one of them, all this stuff and I was glad it was you there with me.”

“Glad?” He looked at me like I was either insane or trying to make fun of him, but liking either.

“Look at it all. Moving out here from sun and surf to snow and forests. Going from the sat office to the Main Office of the entire company. Total relocation.” He was nodding, toying with my chest hair a bit. “I meet you and you throw my entire life into turmoil. I find out Lycans exist, I find out that the person I have fallen in love with is a guy, the person I hope will help me raise my adopted son, the reason my life is so amazing now is you. Through all this change, all this insanity, you have been there. And I'm glad it is you.”

“So you're hoping this is long term?”

“I'm hoping it's forever.” Pat's eyes began to tear up. “Imagine it. You, me, Dylan, all of us together as one family. Our own land, no stupid Pack laws or customs saying who is acceptable and who is not. Just us.” Pat curled up next to me and wrapped my arms around him. His need to be Alpha was done, I could tell, and now we were in the mood to be loving.

“That sounds so nice. Somewhere...somewhere I don't have to hang my head. Our own Pack of family.” I could almost see it too and it was a lovely picture. “But it will never happen. Angus will never sanction us to be together exclusively.” I nodded and as much as I didn't like it Angus was the Leader and I had to fit myself into the Lycan world.

“But we have here and now. Just the two of us.” Pat smiled a nuzzled my neck.

My phone rang. I looked at it like it was out of place. Sighing I went to go answer it because it was Dylan's ringtone. “Hey, Dyl.”

“Actually it's Betty. You need to come home now. Something strange is going on with Dylan and we're all at a loss.”

I felt a tinge of fear. “We're on our way.” Pat was already getting up and grabbing our clothes. Dressing like it was an Olympic event, we were out of the door in less than five minutes. “What now? Why is it my son?” Pat just held my hand while driving like a maniac back for my house.

When we pulled up I was opening the door before the Hummer had stopped and was at the door before Pat had even parked. Betty, Gene, Michael and Mr. Andrews were all there and Dylan was laid out on the floor with ice packs on him. “What happened?”

“He was feeling tired and we thought nothing of it as we were up until five in the morning watching movies and whatnot.” Betty shook her head. “I felt his forehead like any other mom when he said he didn't feel well. He has a fever, but one hotter than anything I have ever felt in a human.” I went over and knelt by his head. I could feel the heat radiating off him. It was higher than a human should be able to take without dying.

“Why is he like this?”

“He just laid down and said he was taking a nap. Then he was out like a light. I called the Leader and the Head because I am now out of my league.”

I looked at the elder Lycans. Mr. Andrews shook his head. “I have never seen anything like this and I have raised human children. He's stable at 115 degrees. If I didn't know what to look for I would say he was on the verge of a first changing.”

I wondered if the Lycans that attacked us hadn't infected him, but he had been treated for infection. They had also treated me... Michael stood over him with a concerned look. “Gene and I...well we have a silly theory. We've seen things as Hunters that Travis and Betty never would.” I looked up at him like anything was worth listening to. “Now, I know you don't know much about the other types of Lycans, but Gene has mentioned Solaris.”

I sat down on my rump. A Solaris...Dylan? “Aren't they, like, a myth or extinct?”

“Not a myth,” Mr. Andrews said, “as I have spoken with one once when I was very young as a Lycan. Haven't seen one since. I don't know enough about them to know if the theory is true and I don't know how to find them.”

“I know of a place you can start looking,” said Gene. All heads turned to him. “Angus has files locked in his office on all sorts of things, but one file is locked up tight. I might be able to get a peek inside if you want.”

It was a long shot. “Don't get caught Gene.” The older wolf just smiled. “So you think this may be him...going through puberty and becoming a Solaris but you can't prove it.” Michael and Gene nodded. “God, it would make sense though. His intimate knowledge of Lycans has to come from somewhere. And this would be something those Hunters would be wanting to get their hands on. Solaris blood.”

“Those 'goods' you mentioned,” Gene said and I nodded. “I'm going to go to the office and poke around Angus' files.” He left with a lively step. He was on the trail and like any Hunter he was going to get there quickly and efficiently.

I looked down at my son. So much seems to happen to him, I thought. I felt his forehead and his eyes shot open. “Whoa, Dyl, you okay?” He shook his head. “Do you know what's going on?” Again he shook his head. “Neither do I,” I whispered when his eyes slid shut again.

“He appears to be stable,” Mr. Andrews said. “Perhaps you and Patrick should go wash up and get changed.” I looked at him and when he tapped his nose I know I turned all shades of scarlet.

“You...Oh my god.” I mock glared at Pat as he walked in. “This is all your fault.” His expression was shocked. “They can...smell you on me. Hell they can smell you've been in me!” I watched his face melt into a huge grin. “Now everyone will know I bottomed. I am going to go shower.” I kissed him on the way by. “Our lives just keep getting freakier and freakier.”

Dylan woke up before sunset and just sat up. “I'm hungry,” he declared and we all just looked at him. “You guys are funny looking right now.”

I was going to comment when I felt the pull of the moon. I had been ignoring it because of my worry, but I couldn't any longer. The shorts I had been wearing were toast and I could see Dylan's eyes were bugged out of his head. This was the first time he had seen me change all the way and I could tell he was going to be doing a lot of drawing later. “Okay, that one caught me off guard.” I watched as Mr. Andrews finished his own change and I thought about how much more painful it looked than my own.

Pat came in from the kitchen, ducking through the door, and sat down. “Stress can hide the feeling until you have no choice but to change. How do you feel, Dylan?”

“Better. Not tired, not hot.” He got to his feet and wandered into the kitchen.

“You're spooky, Little Dude.” I heard him laugh as he was making a pastrami sandwich. With spicy mustard, lettuce, tomato, on sourdough. He hates sourdough. When he came back in I saw the size of the sandwich and just marveled. I could eat it, but even all wolfed out I would barely be able to finish it. “You are hungry.”

“Yup.”

“Sourdough?” Pat asked. He knew Dylan's eating habits as well as I did.

“Too hungry to care and the wheat was behind it.” Pat and I exchanged glances while Mr. Andrews came over and began sniffing him. Dylan just looked at him like he was being odd.

I smell...something, he whined. If the Alpha is at a loss, then you know this is something strange.

All night Dylan was being slightly spookier than normal. We would be talking with whines and growls and he would answer the question we posed. None of us had taught him anything from the language, but he was answering anyway. He would lapse into silence and just walk over to the window and look up at the sky. “I miss the sun,” he said once and then said nothing again for an hour. We all went to sleep about 4 am.

When I awoke it was like sleeping next to a furnace. Dylan was feverish again, but it was no worse than yesterday. The bad thing is I had to got to work. I called his school to tell them he was going to be out sick. Then I called Mr. Andrews. “Thanks, Mr. Andrews.”

“You know, Jon, you can call me Travis. I will gladly sit with the pup. If he was anything like yesterday then it won't trouble at all. Be sure to see if Gene found anything out. I haven't heard from him.” Not good.

At work Pat and I got to the office to find an email from Gene. It was not sent to my business account but to my personal one.

 

Jon,

I have found something. Heading down south to see if it pans out. Be back on Saturday.

Gene

 

I looked at Pat and shook my head. Then I remembered his story. Had he really seen a Solaris when he was a Hunter down south? I checked my other emails and saw one from Angus. It was short and simple, a temporary password for that trouble spot he asked me to check weeks ago.

I logged into my sector accounts and put in the password. With that I looked up the number and found something that made me wonder. The number I could not get access too was a security number, one of the border guards we covertly had out there to keep Ferals out of the Pack territory. The thing is the guard was fictitious. He didn't even exist. I trailed it all back, the paperwork, the files, everything and found out this person was “hired” the same time my predecessor was. The money was being sent to an account based in Ontario and routed over to Saskatchewan. I dialed payroll. “Jones.”

“Dennis, it's Jon from Great Lakes.” I didn't have to say I was the hatchet man. “I have a question.”

“Shoot.”

“I have a fake employee in my sector. Mr. McLeod put me on the trail due to my predecessor's embezzling habits. I would like to cancel all payments to account number 556-89876-0011 and place all current funds on hold.”

I heard some clicking away. “Wow, there is a lot of money in that account. It's been withdrawn from recently. The sum of two hundred thousand dollars.”

“How recently?”

“Three days ago.” That was the day after we overheard the Hunters. “There, the account has been frozen. Nothing we can do about the money withdrawn.”

“Thanks Dennis. Send me an email if anything happens.” I hung up and dialed Angus.

I got his secretary instead. “Mr. McLeod is in a meeting, Jonathan.”

“Thanks Nancy. When he gets out can you ask him to call me please?”

“Sure.”

I kept reading about the account transactions and I was starting to notice a pattern. All of the withdrawals for the last season have coincided with Dylan's big times. His foster parent's murders, the attack at our house, and now this. Someone was really trying to get him alone and god help me I would kill whoever was trying to hurt my son. I was growling deep in my throat and Pat came in, closing the door. “That is loud enough for me to hear, Jon.” I pointed to the screen. He scanned the pages I was reading and I smelled him get as angry as I was. “Got it. Just keep it down. Can't help the anger. I'll call Dad and tell him what we've found.” I also told him about Gene. “Okay.”

I picked up the phone when it rang. “So what is this about Jon? I have another meeting to get to.”

My thoughts were pretty much that his meeting would probably be a waste of time compared to what he should be looking in to. “About the oddity in my sector you asked me to check into. I have frozen a dummy account, but several withdrawals have been made in the past few months, one a few days before you fired the previous guy.”

There was a moment of silence. “Good. I'll send an email to payroll for the details. Is that all?”

“Until I can fully find out, yes.” He hung up in my ear. “Dick,” I said and heard Pat chuckling. I went about my day normally.

Tommy came by around noon with mail for the floor. Normally Pat would just take it but Tommy came into my office. “Here is your mail for the day, Mr. Davenport.” He looked me in the eye with a brief smile and handed the sealed envelope.

“Thank you. Tom, right?” He nodded. My work self would not know much about him. “Thanks.” He whisked away on his rounds. I felt the heft of the envelope. Probably close to a hundred pages. When I opened it I smelled Gene. Instantly I pulled the papers out and saw strange copies of files and a CD. Pictures of Lycans during the day, accounts of humans seeing Sasquatch, Lupus rumored to have seen Solaris...all things Gene had been looking for. But the biggest things are the locations. All of them were either from the Mexican or Canadian borders. Hadn't Gene's experience been from the southern border? Everything he had found he copied and it was here in my hands. I just put it back in the envelope and went back to work as if the contents were not important to me.

At home I found Travis was reclining with a book and Dylan was awake but looking drained. “How you feeling, Dyl?” I felt his forehead. No fever.

“Just really tired.” He gave me a hug. “I know I've been a stress case lately.”

“Yeah, well, your life has been rough these last few months. Stress does strange things to the body.” I handed him the envelope. “Here's something that might interest you. Call it a homework assignment from me and Gene.”

He sat up as quickly as he could and pulled out the files. Travis glanced at them and then sat up too. “All this...on Solaris?” I nodded. He began to read.

I pulled Travis to the other room. “How has he been?”

“Fever broke around ten. He's been taking it easy but the odd behavior has passed for the moment. Appetite is back to normal. Do you think it wise to give him those papers?”

“Not really, but if the theories are true, then he should be prepared for it. Plus he would kill me if he knew I had them and kept them from him.” He nodded with a grin. “Besides, I can't devote the mental energies to reading all that and making sense of it.”

My phone rang and I smiled. I knew that ring tone. “Hey Pop.”

“Jon, you didn't tell me it was below freezing in Massachusetts right now.”

I registered the implications. “Pop...are you coming for a surprise visit?” There was a knock at the door. “God, all my family just drops in.” I hung up. “Dylan, put your homework away. Your grandpa just decided to fly out.” I heard him shoving the papers under the couch and then went up stairs to put on a shirt. I went to the door and there was my dad.

Well built under the layer of padding, he had been a rugby player in his youth. He still had a full head of strawberry blond hair that was kind of shaggy and almost looked like a lion's mane. There had always been a down to earth gleam in his green eyes and I was glad to see that it was still there. “Hey Pop.” I pulled him into a huge hug. Funny thing is he seemed a bit tense.

“Jon, you look indecently well.” I grabbed his bags. “So, where are...well, well, Travis Andrews.” My dad and Travis just looked at each other and I swear I had never seen the Alpha look so shocked. This did not bode well for keeping certain family stories secret.

“It has been a number of years, has it not, Alan?” They shook hands like old friends. “The summit of '83, right?”

“You've a good memory.” This seemed to come as a bit of a surprise.

I just stared. “So...I guess I don't need to introduce you. My world just went bang. Have a seat, Pop. Dylan is getting on his sick day best and Pat will be here after he finishes up his work at the office.” Pop went and sat after taking off his shoes. Most of the people I knew from California didn't wear shoes. Less sand to track into the house. “Summit of '83?” I asked Travis.

“Two years after Miriam was born. Just got a promotion within the company and went out to the Summit with the then CEO.” Travis went and sat with his book.

“Sick day best?”

“Dylan has had a fever for the past two days and it broke this morning. Don't expect sparkling conversation.” Actually I didn't know how the little dude would react to my dad. I could see so many possibilities. I heard him coming down the stairs a little bit heavier than normal and looked to see him with jeans and a nice shirt on, shoeless, and his hair somewhat brushed. It was a nice touch that would show Pop that Dylan was not neat and tidy but he wanted to make a good impression. “Pop, this is Dylan. That is my foster dad, Alan.”

Pop stood and came over to look at Dylan with a look of mixed sorrow and joy. I had not told him everything about his past, only that his last fosters had died and I swooped in and saved him from the system. Their eyes seemed to be locked, and in a moment of clarity, I knew there would be very little awkwardness. Most of that was when Dylan leaped into his arms. “I have a grandson.” Dylan was dwarfed by my dad's hug. He whispered something in his ear and Dylan nodded with the biggest smile on his face.

That was the scene Patrick walked in on and his smile was huge. He looked at his own dad with that same look. Family. These guys were my family. None of them were related to me by blood, although you could argue that with Pat since it is his blood that ran through my veins. Yet I loved them. I looked at my Pop, my son, my boyfriend and a good friend and I realized I needed nothing else in my life at all. My life was complete, here and now. Of course, not being under Angus would make it all the sweeter.

Pop looked out of the corner of his eye and saw Pat. “Dear god, Travis, did you clone yourself?” Dylan snickered and stepped aside.

“Pop, this is Pat.” I know I sounded like a love sick puppy.

He eyed my walking muscle up and down. He had done the same thing with every girl I brought home, I was not too surprised. “Hmm. Nice to see that my son didn't choose an ugly guy just to make himself feel better.” I grinned because he said the same thing about any girl I brought home. It was his way of saying I had good taste.

“Why don't the three of you get acquainted and I'll start dinner.” I gave a kiss to Pat and a gentle shove to Dylan which made him snicker.

Once dinner was done, we sat around the living room. Pop and Dylan hit it off fabulously and Dylan was regaling him with stories of how awesome I was to have as a dad. Honestly I don't think I have ever been that embarrassed but pleased in my life. “Are we talking about the same Jon here? The one sitting over there?” He gestured to me.

“Yeah.” Dylan grinned. “You did good, grandpa.” I cringed at the horrid grammar but my dad just laughed.

“I did, huh?” He sent me a wink. “Now, it is getting late here, and I am sure you will be going back to school tomorrow. Is your homework done?”

Dylan nodded but then remembered the papers he stuffed under the couch. “All but one research paper.” He grabbed the pages and the folder and ran up stairs.

When he had gone Pop got his serious face on. “That child thinks the world of you, Jon.” I nodded. I didn't know how to deal with such praise. Parents get use to it over time, teaching and learning along side their children, but I was in the ultimate crash course. “You really saved his life?”

“Yeah, I guess I did.” Pat gave me a kiss on the cheek. He and Travis got up to give us some of our own father-son time. “Honestly, Pop, I know I saved him and not just from the system, but to me it doesn't feel like I did much.”

“Do you remember when I brought you home?”

How could I forget? I had been ten years old and a huge burden. Getting into fights, the worst grades in school, spiraling down the path towards juvenile hall. The orphanage was at a loss, knowing I would never get adopted with my attitude. Yet one day I was called to the office for a meeting. Not unheard of and no one even made the scandalized sounds that they had in the past as I was always in the office.

Yet this time there was someone else there. A tall, brawny man with vibrant green eyes who I had never seen before. “Jonathan, have a seat.”

“I didn't do it this time.” I always owned up to my mistakes even then.

“This is not that kind of meeting. Have a seat.” The man in charge of the orphanage gestured to the other chair.

“I'll stand thanks,” I said with a bit of a sulky, acid tone. He had a very heavy hand, and I had been in his office the previous day.

“This is Alan Davenport.” I shook his hand as I was taught. “He is looking to adopt an older child. Someone who is independent enough to be alone for a few hours while he performs in the Sydney Opera.” I looked this Alan Davenport over again. Well, I had seen enough opera on TV and he looked like one of those stuck up people alright. “I have given him liberty to meet with a few children and for some reason he has chosen you.”

I looked him dead in the eye. “You're wasting your time. I'm a hopeless delinquent that will amount to no good. Find a nicer kid.”

His eyes widened just a bit. “Don't you want to be adopted?” he asked me in that clear Aussie accent.

“Nope. If I get adopted, I'll be shipped back here within a year 'cause I ain't no good.” I had heard it often enough that I believed it now.

“Ain't is not in the dictionary.”

“Ain't is a common word used in slang vernacular and is acceptable in everyday conversation while being incorrect to use in formal occasions.” My attitude was making the head of the house turn a bit red from anger, but this opera singer just laughed.

“True enough. I sit corrected.” I know my brow twitched in a bit of confusion. Had he actually just said that? “Would it kill you to go out for an hour and talk?”

“No, not unless you got a knife hidden on you and plan to stick me.” Alan just laughed like it was the funniest thing he had ever heard, the head of the house was livid I was being so obviously disrespectful and I just looked at the guy like he was touched in the head. “What the hell, ya only live once and I would rather live in the dirt than here.”

We went out to the park and just sat with a kids meal from a local fast food joint. It wasn't fancy fair at all, but it filled the hole. We didn't talk much, but I seemed to get what he was looking for. Someone who honestly didn't need to be coddled every second of the day as he wouldn't be there every second. “So, since you are still alive, what do you think of me?”

“Oh, the loaded question with bullets for answers.” He laughed again. “Do you honestly think I'm that funny?”

“No, but your mind works so much faster than the other children I have met. It comes out as snark for defensive reasons to hide the fact that you secretly wish someone would come and save you from the house and the place you got dumped and don't want to be dumped back into again.” I blinked. “I'm not psychic, I read your file thoroughly. You slack off in school, you're disruptive and you get into fights. Anything to make it so you never have anyone close to you. So no one can leave you.”

His gaze bored holes into my head and I just stared back. I didn't want to admit he was right. “Are you sure you're an opera singer and not a psychologist?” I muttered.

“I do have a BS in psychology. Jonathan, why do you not want to get adopted?”

I never answered. Instead we went back to the house and he left me there. Funny thing was, I missed him. Someone had seen right through it all, through all the bullshit, to what was lurking beneath, and he had done it in less than an hour. Next week, same day and time he was back. Again we went back out to the park and again he asked me why I didn't want to get adopted.

On our fifth outing we went to the park again, only this time there was a concert going. People were going up and singing songs like one big karaoke bar without the alcohol. We grabbed some corndogs and lemonade and sat on the grass to listen. It was actually pretty cool. He didn't ask my opinion, didn't ask if I was okay. He just included me in his life and let me enjoy some time away from the house.

The host grinned and pointed right at us. “Ladies and gentlemen, I see a very famous opera star in the audience. He's sung in the Sydney Opera House for the past five seasons as Don Giovanni, Rigoletto, and is right now doing Sarastro in the Magic Flute. Perhaps, Alan, you could give us a song?” All eyes turned to him and me and I wanted to shrink away. The crowd started to chant his name; I guess he really was an opera singer.

“Will you be okay, here?” he asked, the first sign of concern. I nodded. He got up and went up to the stage with the crowd cheering. He went to the piano and shooed the pianist away with a smile. “Now, this is a piano reduction of the orchestra, so you're going to miss some things, but with the piano miced it should be loud enough to be heard over me.” The audience laughed. Without using a mic he began to play and sing and I stared. I had heard opera, but I had never HEARD opera. This...this was magnificent. He needed no amplification, he just sang.

And it kept me so entranced that I wasn't aware that some of the kids from school were there too. Ones who bullied me for being a smartmouthed orphan. The crowd was a bit thinner around me and they were able to surround me before I knew what was going on. Then came the name calling and one of them kicked me hard enough to get my attention. Then all was silent. “Excuse me, young men, but do your parents know how rude you are being to my guest? How rude you are being to the kind people who simply want to listen to good music?” Alan had stopped the song and stood up to his full height. “How rude you are being to me, making me stop my aria to ask you these questions?” His voice dropped to a tone that said he was very upset with them and I could see them trying to shrink away from the glares of the audience. “Would the parents of these young men please take them in tow?” Their parents did and I knew they would be getting at least some sort of punishment. “Jonathan, could you come up here please?”

I turned all shades of red, but I got to my feet. I went up on stage and looked at him like I was l going to get punished. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is Jonathan, a young man I have recently met that I am hoping will one day soon agree to be my foster son.” I looked up at him. His eyes were so kind, so full of understanding. The crowd seemed to find this such a great moment.

“Can I call you Pop?” I asked quietly. No one would be able to hear me. He laughed.

“He asked if he can call me Pop.” It got a laugh. “Sure, you can call me Pop.” I jumped into his arms.

“You done good, Pop.” We finalized the adoption and from then on I was Jonathan Davenport.

I came back to the present with a smile. “I see. Do...did you feel it was a big deal?”

“Not at all. You never made it a hard decision. I did what I could to save a person from a bad life.” He leaned over and gave me a hug. “I'm glad to see you learned how to do it too.”

“You done good Pop.”

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 36
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for this chapter. You've got my mind reeling with possible directions your story can go. I can barely wait for the next installment!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'll say it again...this is a really terrific story. This will be my last review because I left a review in the final chapter the first time that I read this. I just want to say thanks again...I have seen that there is a book 2 and I intend to read that as well. I really love the respect you have shown for love and that gay men in any form can be committed. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/28/2014 01:43 PM, Headstall said:
I'll say it again...this is a really terrific story. This will be my last review because I left a review in the final chapter the first time that I read this. I just want to say thanks again...I have seen that there is a book 2 and I intend to read that as well. I really love the respect you have shown for love and that gay men in any form can be committed. Cheers...Gary
You're one reviewer whose comments I looks forward to. You give good criticism and positive feedback and show me lots of love. Thanks for rereading this and I hope the Peace and Quiet makes a good of an impression on you.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Quote

 

Could not take the quote section out...

 

I really like how this is going.  I don't think I realized before that Jon was adopted, did I miss it?  I thought the pacing in this chapter was a little choppy, not anything to cause a problem but not as smooth as previous chapters.  The writing and plotting was very good however. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Omg! That last part of the chapter really made me have a huge smile on my face! Great Chapter which left me emotional about Jonathan's story about being fostered.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The romantic trip with its hot sex was a nice start, even if it got interrupted.  Dylan's illness is concerning and the hints it might be related to his status as a Lycan fascinated me.  Is that the reason he is being hunted?  Was he somehow infected before without his knowledge?  I am also interested in the documents Gene sent and how they might relate to Dylan.  Pop's surprise visit was a nice time.  I appreciated the backstory for Jon's adoption.  Knowing the answer to those questions, and how Alan and Travis know each other so well will be interesting information.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..