Jump to content
    Grumpy Bear
  • Author
  • 4,254 Words
  • 1,949 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Serpent Mound - 15. The Condemned

Karhu sat in the big wooden tub in the village bathhouse. The six female wolves had removed his ragged clothing to be burned and guided him to the warm waters of the tub. A kettle bubbled away on a stove in the center of the bathhouse, and the females used it from time to time to warm up the water in the tub.

They scrubbed the filthy bear from head to toe, lathering his hair and beard, rinsing him off and lathering him up again. When they were satisfied that a decade’s worth of filth had been scrubbed from his body, they wrapped him in a bath sheet, and sat him on a chair. Four wolves attended to his hands and feet, clipping and filing his broken and ragged nails, while another wolf carefully trimmed his beard and the sixth cut his damp hair.

The wolves didn’t speak to Karhu directly, but as they worked, they gossiped among one another. Karhu was able to surmise that one of the new bears who had arrived with Bernie had been somehow invaded by the essence of the bear-god and had deposed Rieka as the leader of The People earlier that afternoon. The psychological torture the new bear, the walking embodiment of the bear-god, had inflicted upon Rieka was enough to terrify the rest of The People into immediate submission.

Once the female wolves had Karhu properly clipped and cleaned, they dressed him in trousers and tunic of pure, white linen. Karhu understood that this was the attire of a sacrifice and he hoped that the bear he had met the day before, Marcus, was still himself, and able to work to prevent Bernie from ending up on the mounds.

Karhu was led to a long table in the middle of the village where the females handed him off into the custody of the six male wolves. The remnants of a great feast were still laid out upon the table, and the males told Karhu to sit and eat.

“Eat well, Karhu,” one wolf told him, “Consider this your last meal.”

Karhu had been starved for so long that he didn’t even have much appetite left, but he knew that if there was a chance to save the boy, he would need all the strength he could get, so the bear forced himself to eat all he could. When his belly was full for the first time in twelve years, the wolves picked him up and carried him to the small cabin where the four sacrifices were being held until the time for the ritual.

The door was opened for just a few seconds, long enough to shove the thin bear through and slam it shut behind him. After securing the door, the six wolves positioned themselves around the cabin to begin sentry duty that would last until sundown the following evening.

Four sets of eyes turned to look at Karhu in surprise, but only one recognized him.

“Papa!” Bernie cried in the gloom of the cabin, rushing to his side. “I thought I’d never see you again!”

“You weren’t supposed to see me again, Cub,” Karhu replied, “That was the whole point of setting you free.”

“I know, Papa,” Bernie said, “But Rieka never let me be for my entire life. She hunted me down tormenting me and getting me into trouble wherever I went. No family would keep me for very long due to the problems caused by the wights. It was only in the last year that I finally found a place where I felt I belonged, and where the adults listened and believed me. I made real friends for the first time, and of course Rieka sent the wights to torture them. If I hadn’t spoken her name as she asked, I was afraid that all my friends would end up dead.”

“I understand, Cub,” Karhu said, “Rieka’s tricks are very convincing, and she was going to stop at nothing to get you back into her clutches. It seems her plan has backfired, however.”

“Backfired, how, Papa?” Bernie asked.

“Three bears from the place where you lived… three of your protectors… came along when the wights captured you. I met one named Marcus, and there was one who was holding you so tightly when you were captured, he had to be brought as well. That bear’s name is Bill.”

“Bill is the Staff Sergeant at the Academy where I go to school and a war hero,” Bernie replied. “Marcus works in the cafeteria. If Marcus came, then chances are, the third bear is Rodney.”

“Indeed,” Karhu said, “Rodney is the bear who has now dethroned Rieka as the leader of The People.”

Rodney is in charge?” Bernie asked in disbelief. “Rodney is a good guy; he’s big and strong and he can make a mean lasagna, but I never would have thought he’d be the one to take down Rieka. If he’s in charge now, is he letting us go?”

“I’m afraid not, Cub,” Karhu replied. “I don’t think the Rodney you knew at the Academy is the same bear running things in the village now. The word is that the bear-god from the mound has possessed him… filled him with his essence. He is essentially a walking embodiment of the bear-god now, and his ruthlessness exceeds anything that Rieka has ever done.”

“Oh, Rodney,” Bernie said, shedding a tear down his cheek, “I’m so sorry. I’ve messed things up for everyone.”

“Hey now,” Karhu said, pulling Bernie into his arms and embracing him, “None of this is your fault. The People must be stopped, and the bears from your school have joined with an army of wolves to bring them down. Marcus told me that even now, that army is tracking his location and are on the way here to rescue you.”

“Do you think they can save Rodney?” Bernie asked.

Karhu smiled.

“It is possible, Cub, but their priority is to save you and the other three here in the cabin with us. If you four can be saved, the Tuath Dé can be brought down, and The People will be no more.”

“If I’m getting saved,” Bernie said clinging to Karhu and feeling his bones through his thin skin, “You’re coming with me, Papa. There’s still time to fatten you back up into the Papa that I remember.”

“If it is Odin’s will, Cub,” Karhu replied, “Then it will be so.”

“Papa,” Bernie said, “I know now why you call me ‘Cub’. Bill told me that I’m kindred, and can become a werebear if I’m bitten and bred. He said that if I choose it, the bear who breeds me would become my Papa and I would be his Cub.

“If we can be rescued, I would like very much for you to become my real Papa and I your real Cub. I would choose to become a werebear and live with you forever.”

As Bernie finished these words, he buried his face in Karhu’s chest, weeping, hoping for what may be if they were to survive the next twenty-four hours.

“I knew even when you were a small child,” Karhu explained, “That if you were able to grow to become a man, that you would be an ideal mate for some lucky bear. It would finally give my long, long life a sense of purpose if that bear could be me. If we do both survive beyond tomorrow, you will still have some growing-up to do before you would be ready for the change, but I promise that I will let you know when the time is right and allow you to make your choice then.”

“Bernie,” Karhu continued, “I had many years to contemplate my life and my faith after being imprisoned in that cave for setting you free. It was during that time that Odin himself visited me and told me the implications of my actions. Over the years, I tried to tell Rieka many times to stop her endless pursuit and let you be. I tried to tell her that you were special, and that you had been touched by Odin himself long before the bear-god of the Tuath Dé put his mark upon you.

“I can’t yet tell you all that Odin told me, but rest assured you have a destiny that extends far beyond this place. There are some things you must discover for yourself, but there is one thing that I can say. If you find yourself in extreme peril, outnumbered and overpowered, fearing for your very life, you have to simply raise your right hand to the sky and utter one word to give you all the power you need to overcome any evil.”

“What is that word, Papa?” Bernie asked.

Karhu leaned close to the boy and whispered in his ear.

“Is that…?” Bernie asked in surprise.

“Yes,” Karhu replied. “Keep that word close to your heart, and do not utter it unless absolutely necessary. If I am to lose my life tomorrow, it is in the hands of fate, but you must go on. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Papa,” Bernie replied, burying his face in the bear’s thin but hairy chest once again, “I think I understand almost everything now.”

“Cub, our fate is in the hands of Odin and the Nornir. We may not have much time left together, so I would like you to tell me your happiest memory from the childhood that I missed while you were out in the human world.”

“Oh, Papa,” Bernie replied, “Most of it was so bad. I was sent from foster family to foster family. No one wanted to keep me for very long, mostly because of the trouble and torment caused by the wights. But, just this past December, I spent Christmas with my best friend from the Academy, and it was the very best time of my life…

****

“Joe,” Bernie asked, “Why aren’t you going home for Christmas like everybody else?”

They were sitting in the almost-empty cafeteria having breakfast. Rodney and Marcus were in their usual positions, but other than the teaching staff, there were just the two cadets left to feed.

“Well,” Joe replied, “Let’s just say that when I came to the Academy, it was a sort of last chance for me. If I can make it to the end of the program and graduate, I’ll have proved to my family and community that I have reformed and become a new, responsible person. Only then will I be able to go back home again.”

“What would happen if you didn’t graduate?” Bernie asked.

“I’d never be able to go home again,” Joe said with tears forming in his eyes. “I wouldn’t get to see my family or my old friends ever again.”

“Whoa,” Bernie said, “That’s pretty harsh! Lucky thing you’re doing awesome here. There’s no way you aren’t going to graduate next year, the only mystery is whether or not you’ll be the valedictorian!”

Joe chuckled and gave Bernie a friendly punch on the arm.

“I guess it’s just us for Christmas, then,” Joe said, “Maybe we can find something fun to do, just the two of us.”

“How about the four of us?” a voice announced from behind them. The Headmaster and Staff Sergeant were walking up with their own breakfast trays.

“Gary! Staff Sergeant!” Bernie said, “I don’t want to butt-in on your Christmas! You’re a… a couple after all, and you probably need some time to yourselves!”

“Well, we may not be young and cool,” Bill replied, “But hanging out with our two favorite cadets would be our idea of a fun holiday!”

“We have friends who live a couple hours south of here in the mountains,” Gary explained. “They called me up last night and told me that they’re going up to Wisconsin to spend the holidays with some of our other friends, and that Bill and I were welcome to use their cabin while they are gone if we wanted to have a little getaway from the Academy for a week. I thought that it would be a great idea, but I told Bill that we’re not going anywhere without the two of you.”

“So, what do you say?” Bill asked, “How does Christmas in a log cabin in the mountains sound?”

“That’s sounds perfect!” Joe exclaimed, “Come on Bernie, you know we’ll have a good time.”

Bernie smiled and looked down at his feet, something that he hadn’t done since his first day at the Academy.

“I think that sounds like the most perfect Christmas ever,” Bernie said, and Joe gave him a big hug.

“For the next week,” Gary said, “We’ll just be four good friends having a good time together. No titles and no uniforms. Bernie, I know you have some warm clothes in the stuff you brought with you when you arrived. I want you both to go pack your bags with warm winter street-clothes and meet me and Bill out in front of the main house in an hour. Okay?”

“Okay!” the boys said, and they both jumped up to clear their dishes and get started packing.

The cabin was wonderful. It was fully self-sufficient and off the grid with two wind turbines and a bank of solar panels generating all the electricity that they would need. Gary’s friends Thomas and Sam had thoughtfully set up a tree in the living room and left out boxes of lights and ornaments, so the first thing they did after unloading the van was to decorate the tree.

There were two bedrooms in the cabin. Gary and Bill took the big bedroom with the king-sized bed and Bernie and Joe shared the guest room with the queen bed. Bernie had gotten used to having a room to himself at the Academy, so it was a little strange sharing a bed with Joe at first, but the two stayed up late the first night, talking about their favorite movies and comic books. They discovered that they were both Marvel fans and shared their reasons why.

“I like Marvel better than DC,” Joe said, “Because in Marvel, even the heroes are allowed to be bad once in a while! That makes the characters more real for me because nobody’s perfect!”

“I agree with that,” Bernie said, “But in my opinion, the DC heroes have it too easy. They have their superpowers, and the two biggest things they have to worry about are their nemesis getting ahold of their secret weakness, and somebody finding out their secret identity. Boo fucking hoo! The Marvel heroes have an uphill battle. They have superpowers too, but they don’t have the whole world on their side like the DC characters. They’re fighting to save the world from the real bad guys while the whole world is against them! That’s real struggle and real conflict to me.”

“That’s a really smart observation,” Joe said. “I think I just might have competition for valedictorian next year!”

They boys laughed and continued to gossip about teenage boy things until sleep finally overcame them and they snuggled down into the big comfy bed.

The next morning, they were treated to a big breakfast cooked by none other than Gary himself, and Bill entertained them with stories of the kinds of food served in the chow line when he was in the Marines.

“What do you say we go for a hike in the woods?” Gary asked after the breakfast dishes were cleaned up. The boys eagerly nodded in agreement.

“Before we head out,” Gary said, “I just need to review my checklist for winter wilderness hikes.”

“Oh boy,” Bill said with a grin, “Gary’s wilderness survival rules are always fun!”

“Well, this is just going to be a day-hike and not a week-long survival test, but Thomas has all of the supplies that we’ll need to make sure we’re prepared for the worst. I want you two to go in that closet there and pick out a backpack. Not a big one, just big enough to hold Gary’s Checklist of Ten Essential Things for a Wintertime Hike.”

The boys rummaged around in the closet until they each had found a pack that fit comfortably.

“First thing,” Gary said, “Is the one that actually goes on your feet, and not in the backpack, and that’s appropriate footwear. It looks like the two of you have your combat boots with you from your day uniforms, so go ahead and wear those. They’re sturdy and waterproof.”

“Second, is a map and a compass,” Gary said, rummaging in a drawer in the side table, pulling out an area map and a compass for each of them.

“Aw, come on, Gary,” Joe replied, “Everybody has GPS on their phones these days. What do we need with these ancient things for?”

“Check your phone, Joe,” Gary replied.

Joe pulled it out of his pocket and frowned.

“Hmm,” Joe said, “No bars…”

“That’s right,” Gary said, “You can’t count on having cell reception everywhere when you’re out in the wilderness. Get to know the map and compass, and you’ll never get lost.”

“Third thing, plenty of water. Hiking in the winter is not so different than summer when it comes to dehydration. Put about four bottles each in your backpacks, or else you’ll wind up eating the yellow snow just to get something to drink. Then you’ll be… What will they be, Bill?”

“They’ll be fucked, Papa,” Bill said casually.

“That’s right, Cub,” Gary replied as the boys giggled.

“Fourth thing, calorie-dense foods. Pack enough to help fuel your hike and bring an extra portion just in case you end up out there longer than expected. You get stuck in the woods without anything to eat, and you’ll be… What, Joe?

“Fucked, sir,” Joe replied and then burst out laughing.

“That’s right, good job.”

Fifth thing, wear layers, a hat and gloves, but pack an extra pair of thick socks in case your first pair get wet. If your feet get wet when you’re a mile from the cabin and the temperatures are below freezing and you don’t have a change of socks, you’ll be… What Bernie?”

“Fucked!” Bernie blurted, and both boys and Bill had a good laugh.

“Sixth thing are your survival tools that could save your life. Flint and steel, char cloth, flashlight and a whistle.”

“How is a whistle going to save my life?” Joe asked.

“You’d be surprised,” Bill mumbled.

“If you get separated or lost,” Gary explained, “Stay where you are and blow your whistle, and I’ll come running. Got it?”

Joe nodded and they both added the survival items to their packs.

“Seventh thing, a basic first aid kit in case somebody gets hurt. Fall down in the snow and you could end up running a sharp branch through your thigh. If you can’t stop the bleeding, you’ll be… I think you get the point.”

“Eighth thing, pocketknife. A million uses, but they can also help you with first aid or repairing your equipment.”

Gary rummaged in the side table again and found two multi-tool style pocketknives that he tossed to the boys.

“Ninth thing,” Gary said, “Sunscreen. The sun can actually reflect up off the snow in the winter and give your face a nasty burn.”

At that moment, Bill had crept up behind both boys with a gob of sunscreen in each hand and he unceremoniously grabbed them and smeared the lotion all over their faces while they squirmed and laughed in protest.

“Now that you’re sufficiently sun screened,” Gary said, “We’ll finish with item number ten, emergency shelter.”

Bill rooted in the closet and came out with four flat-packed silver space blankets.

“These may look flimsy, but they’ll make an adequate cover from the elements in an emergency and will hold in your body heat.”

“Ready to go?” Gary asked as the boys finished closing their backpacks.

“Ready,” Joe replied, “Unless you have another top ten list to run through first before we’re allowed to leave the cabin.”

“We can discuss that on the hike,” Gary said as he held the door open and ushered the boys out into the cold. “Top ten reasons why Joe will be the first one eaten if we have to resort to cannibalism… Number one…”

The four enjoyed the hike in the woods without incident and by the time they returned to the cabin in the late afternoon, the boys were ready for hot chocolate in front of the fireplace while Gary and Bill prepared a Christmas Eve dinner of ham, cranberries, and baked sweet potatoes.

The four ate until they were stuffed, but the boys were surprised how much food the two adults were able to put away. Bernie and Joe helped clean up after dinner and they all sat around the fire for a few more hours, talking and playing games until Gary announced that it was time for the “Cub and Pup” to go to bed before Santa Claus comes.

“Aw, Gary,” Bernie said, “I never believed in Santa even when I was five.”

“Then it’s time you started, Cub.” Bill replied. “You’re never too old to learn.”

The boys trudged up the stairs and stripped down to their underwear before climbing in bed.

“I bet Gary and Bill wanted a little alone time so that they can have sex,” Joe said, turning to look at Bernie.

Bernie’s cheeks turned pink, and he felt himself growing hard at the thought of the two big men making love downstairs in front of the fire.

“Bernie,” Joe said, “Have you ever thought about whether you’re going to be straight or gay when you find the person you’ll want to spend your whole life with?”

“Um,” Bernie replied. “I guess I have. Have you?”

“I don’t know,” Joe said. “I think I’m probably straight, but there’s sometimes when I think I might be gay. Maybe I’m bisexual? I guess when I get older, I’ll have to try dating both guys and girls and see which one feels right.”

“Joe…” Bernie said, almost afraid to go on, but knowing that now was the perfect time, given the casual confession that Joe had just made. “I’m pretty sure… no, I know… I’m gay. Is that okay with you?”

“Okay with me?” Joe asked in surprise, “Well sure! You’ve got to be true to yourself. I’m a little jealous that you’ve already figured it out and that you know for sure. It’s going to make dating a whole lot easier.”

“I was afraid that you might not want to be around me or share a bed like this if you knew that I liked guys,” Bernie replied. “Not every guy would take the news that their best friend is gay so well.”

“Ah,” Joe scoffed, “Some guys are just stupid. It’s not like you’re going to try to rape me in my sleep, right?”

“No!” Bernie cried.

“Then I have nothing to worry about,” Joe said, “Other than wondering what it’s like to make out with a guy. Have you made out with anybody yet, Bernie?”

“No,” Bernie replied, turning pink again, “I’ve never even told anybody else I’m gay except for Gary and Bill.”

“Can I kiss you, Bernie?” Joe asked, “I just want to know what it’s like. Maybe I’ll kiss a guy and decide I’m straight after all. It couldn’t hurt to practice with my best friend, could it?”

“No, I mean, yes, I mean…” Bernie began to say, flustered, “I’d like it if you kissed me, Joe.”

Joe moved over in the bed until he and Bernie were face-to-face. He leaned forward and kissed Bernie on the lips, gently at first, but soon with more passion. Bernie’s hands automatically went to Joe’s muscular body, and he rubbed his chest and shoulders as they kissed. Joe ran his hands through Bernie’s hair and down his back, cupping Bernie’s ass with his palm. Bernie parted his lips and felt Joe’s tongue explore his mouth.

They made out quietly for ten minutes, exploring each other’s mouth with their tongues, and their bodies with their hands before breaking the kiss, panting heavily.

“I think we’d better stop,” Bernie said.

Joe nodded.

“I still don’t know if I’m gay or straight,” Joe said, “But I know that I liked that a lot.”

“I liked it too,” Bernie said, blushing.

“Was I good kisser?” Joe asked.

“Oh yeah,” Bernie replied. “I’m going to remember that kiss forever. It was… my first real kiss.”

“Well, Merry Christmas, Bernie,” Joe said, and they hugged and held each other in the big bed as they drifted off to sleep.

****

“Thank you for sharing that story of your first kiss, Cub,” Karhu said. “That sounded like a very special moment, and Joe seems to be a very good friend.”

“Joe is my best friend,” Bernie replied. “He’s a wolf-lycan. I hope I get to see him again.”

“I have a feeling you will, Cub,” Karhu replied. “If I have anything to say about it.”

“Papa,” Bernie said, “Can you hold me while we sleep? I’ve missed you so much for so long, I feel like I never want to let you go again.”

“That would make me very happy, Cub” Karhu said, and he and his cub laid down on the small bed that had been provided.

“Remember,” Karhu said, as Bernie drifted off to sleep, “You’re special, and you will go on. I promise.”

Copyright © 2021 Grumpy Bear; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 36
  • Fingers Crossed 3
p style="text-align:center;"> Grumpy Bear's Werebear Tales
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm not sure about the foreshadowing with this chapter. Karhu is implying he won't survive the ceremony, and with Grumpy's streak of hope throughout the series, I think we're overdue to see experience a major death. 

What has me curious is Bernie's secret word. This isn't any Pee Wee's Playhouse word either; it's pretty dang serious. Now where did I leave my "I'm Callin' It" cap...

I'm Callin' It! Bernie is the destined host for Odin; the big bear himself. I'm also predicting Rodney is acting. His repetitive calling of Rieka a "b!¥<#" has thrown me off during a re-read. While the old bear god could be using it as the archaic term for woman, it would be a great outlet for Rodney's displeasure for the sorceress and the group as a whole. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I hope Karhu makes it through this and can find happiness. Rodney is a puzzle.  Will wait and see on that one.

Joe and Bernie as mates?  A distinct possibility but I've been fooled by Grumpy before so again, I'll wait. It would be fantastic if Bernie got to have Gary Bill and Karhu in his life for love and guidance but Grumpy has set it up that if Karhu doesn't make it, then Gary and Bill will provide that for him.  I wonder how long it will take to find out what other wonderful things Odin has in store for Bernie?

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I love the comments to this chapter.  They are filled with imagination and hope.  Knowing that Bernie is under the care of Odin and will survive is a big relief.  I am not sure about Karhu since he as a karmic debt to pay.  Rodney is still the big puzzle.  I fluctuate between thinking him as possessed and then that he is a great actor.  I do suspect that Bernie will need to used the power of Odin before the day is out tomorrow.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..