Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

We're OK Now - 1. Chapter 1

div>A very short piece I wrote for my dog about a year after I adopted her. This was written around 2005 and she was put to sleep August 25, 2015. Ten years after I wrote this.
 
Good night, Pepsi. You were a good dog.

At first I thought things would be difficult between you and me. You were skittish, jumpy, and flinched when people reached for you. But your days were numbered and each day I saw you, you looked more lost and bewildered. You were fat, you’re old, you were scared and you’re shy. No one was coming for you.

The day I came to get you, you seemed to know and you greeted me differently than before. You didn’t fall before me in complete subjugation, but met me with sight-failing eyes and a wag of your tail as if to say ‘let’s go’.

You rode with me in silence and watched my face, but when I looked at you, your ears dropped, your head bowed, but as soon as I looked away your head lifted and I swore you smiled.

It took some time to get you comfortable with a leash. The sinuous tether between you and me terrified you, and when I pulled, you froze. It’s when I stopped and saw that look on your face that I understood.

You have been beaten. You have been misused. Your trust has been broken and your body bears the scars of your loyalty. You have known hunger, neglect and pain and were abandoned by those you believed you should love. You were cycled from home to home and in the end were left for dead in a place where there is no love, no hope, only broken lives and shattered futures. How many times did you flatten yourself to the floor? Hoping to show them that you were no threat at all, that you meant to do nothing wrong. And how many times were you beaten anyway? How many times did you wish for even just a corner to call your own where the pain and the abuse couldn’t find you? Where you could lay in peace. How long was it before you realized that greeting everyone with love left you with only pain?

I saw myself in your face for that moment. I knew those feelings, I understood that pain and you seemed to sense it. You lifted yourself from the ground with a whine and looked at me for the first time without fear. You approached me and leaned against me as if to say ‘we’re OK now’.

Day by day you trust me more. You no longer cry in surprise whenever I move too quickly. You’re not afraid to go for a run. You greet other people with a cautious smile and you never leave my side. You no longer cry out with pain just lying down and have lost enough weight to jump in my lap. You run through the house begging to play and defend me like a tiger. Your hips are better and your eyes seem brighter and you’re not afraid to throw your head back in a canine laugh. You spin in circles when I come home and lay on my pillow while I’m gone.

It still amazes me how quickly you’ve let it all go. You don’t pity yourself or shed tears for your past and are just happy for ‘now’. We’ve been through it all, you and I, and there’s just no looking back. Never think that there will come a time where you’ll be left alone again. Never assume that if I raise my hand it’s going to come down on you. And ten years from now when your time is up for real, know that I’ll be there and that somebody cares for you. Because we’re OK now.

div>A very short piece I wrote for my dog about a year after I adopted her. This was written around 2005 and she was put to sleep August 25, 2014. Ten years after I wrote this.
 
Good night, Pepsi. You were a good dog.
Copyright © 2015 JackBinimbul; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Like avidreadr said, a beautiful tribute.
I know it was given back, but thank you for giving Pepsi 10 years of joy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you so much for shareing that story,i can hardly see the keyboard because of the tears,i had to have my soul mate ben ben put to sleep in may of this year,i rescued him 12 years ago when he was 2,my beutifull dobey ben ben,Oh how i loved the dobey dog,again thank you fot shareing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Like Bubby, my tears are getting in the way of seeing my screen too.

 

This was such a beautiful tribute to your beloved dog Pepsi. She was so lucky that first day you stopped by the shelter. You were both lucky you had each other for ten wonderful years.

 

My beloved yellow lab, Jessie, died suddenly on Halloween. We didn't even know she was sick. The pain of losing a pet is awful, but knowing Jessie had so much love and gave it back tenfold, helps me somewhat in dealing with her loss.

 

May Pepsi's loving memories help you when you think of her.

 

Beautiful writing, Jack.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was beautiful, I had to spend a good 10-15 minutes cuddling with my dogs after I read this. A good reminder to cherish the time we have with them as they aren't here forever. Thank you, and I'm sorry about losing your best friend because it is true want they say, they really are man's best friend.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..