Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 2,687 Words
  • 1,327 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 12. Chapter 12: Jackpot

Chapter Twelve: Jackpot

 

Karl looked about the hotel room and wondered how he had gotten himself into this mess. Since gaining control of the Double Dozen his sex drive had hit the roof, not just with men but women as well. Proof of that lay with the dozens of naked bodies around him. What disturbed him most were the women who were clearly in the latter stages of accelerated pregnancies.

Feeling hard flesh slide up next to him he saw Trey looking at him doe-eyed. “What are your orders master?”

I need more… more flesh, more lovers, more Symbionts. Is what was on Karl’s mind but he was self-conscious and decided not to say. “I need a bit of fresh air.”

“I’ll go with you.” Not just Trey but a half dozen of people rose to follow him.

“No! Can’t a guy have some time to himself?”

“Of course Master, Forgive us.” They all nodded and lay back down. They knew their master would never abandon them.

Putting on some jeans, an old t-shirt and his letter jacket, he left for the Bellagio Casino. He had always wanted to visit Las Vegas. Compared to the Alaskan coastal town he grew up in, the lights, sounds, and people of the Strip were unlike anything he had experienced. It was also prime hunting ground for him and his growing list of followers.

Money wasn’t a problem. By the time his people had interrogated the survivors, they had gained access to unlimited funds. Hiding from Lordon would prove increasingly problematic as their numbers grew however. But if Avery could do it, then there was no reason why he couldn’t as well. Especially with the resources he had available to him.

“Ave… why did you leave me.” When he went on the prowl, it was the ones who reminded him most of his beloved that he went after first. That and the nerdy kids… he always had a soft spot for the weak and helpless.

The rejects were always easy to pick out. They were always in the back of the pack, the last to get the jokes, the one who were left at the table by themselves while the others danced and got wasted.

Getting into the bars was no problem… he looked older than his 18 years and kept enough cash on him to grease the palms of the bouncers.

Each time he stepped into a club there were plenty who willing to buy him a drink or two. He had always been more than handsome but now he was drawing people to him like mice to cheese. The sort who sought him never perked his interest. It was those who would look in his direction when they thought he wasn’t looking that drew the hunger in him.

And there he was… the kid wore a Harvard cap and sweatshirt. He was alone but not alone. He sat on the far on the edge of the crammed booth with only one ass cheek on the leather. His ‘friends’ were all laughing and appearing to be having a great time but he clearly wasn’t. He was what you would call a listener except no one cared.

Karl couldn’t tell if he was gay or not. It didn’t matter and he didn’t really care. Before the night was through, the college brat wouldn’t either. Regardless of the pleasures they might share, none of it would compare to being one of his Awakened and the sense of belonging it would bring.

With drink in hand, he sauntered over to the booth. Halfway there their eyes locked. He licked his lips and gave him a wolfish grin. The youth grabbed a half empty beer and chugged. Even after he had drained the bottle he kept it to his lips.

By the time he reached the group every eye was on him. “Mind if I join you guys?”

“Why sure… pull up a chair.”

“No, have mine.” Karl’s target stood to leave but Karl dragged a chair where he sat.

“No need my friend.” With an arm wrapped around the guy’s shoulder, he pulled him close. “How about we get out of here and have some real fun?”

“Uh…”

“By the way, the name’s Karl.” While the others gave their names, he snapped over a waitress and ordered them a round of drinks.

His prey didn’t give his name or say a word until the drinks came. He made a short murmur of thanks before drowning his nervousness with three shots of bourbon. “Your friend is pretty quiet.”

“Oh don’t mind Cal… he’s always like this.”

“Wouldn’t remember to breathe if we weren’t here to remind him.” The girl sitting next to Cal, Sally, elbowed him hard. “So tell us handsome what brings you to Vegas?”

“A little of this. A little of that.” He said nonchalantly. “You?”

“A lot of everything. In Vegas there’s no reason to hold back.” Jeff, the one with a girl on either side of him, was clearly the leader.

Karl leaned over Cal and kissed Sally. “No point at all.”

“Be careful Cal, he might steal your girl.”

“Consider me stolen.” Sally practically fell over her boyfriend to reach Karl’s lips.

This was clearly too much for Cal. Ducking under the table he fled.

“Ah… seems I’ve been caught poaching. Better go apologize.”

Sally grabbed him before he could leave. “Don’t mind Cal… he’s a sourpuss. You’re a lot more fun.”

“I’ll be back. You’ll then learn how fun I can be.”

“Here’s my number.” She slid a hand down the front of his jeans and gave him a squeeze. “Big boy aren’t ya.”

“You have no idea.” Once free of the woman he searched for where his prey went to sulk. It didn’t take long. Like a kid jilted at the Prom, he had retreated to the men’s room. The man’s face was half in the sink cold water running over his head and down the back of his shirt. He didn’t stand a chance of stopping Karl from approaching from behind and wrapping his arms tightly about his waist.

Cal jerked, his head ramming into the faucet with enough force to knock him out cold.

After that it was easy as pie for Karl to check them both into a room and put him in bed. As he waited for him to recover, Karl played with his pale hair, imagining it was Ave he held in his arms.

When Cal came to, the college kid didn’t make a sound. Enthralled by the way Karl stared at him, he didn’t even move.

“Sorry about your girl.”

“Huh… oh her… she’s only with me because I let them use the company jet.”

“But you didn’t need me throwing that in your face. Not that you looked all that upset.” He let his fingers run down Cal’s left cheek.

“Why?”

“Why not… You’re lonely and right now so am I. Men like us should stick together.”

“I wish I was half as hot as you.”

“You don’t need to be me.” Karl rolled on top of him and drowned Cal with a breath stealing kiss.

“I’m… I’m not gay.”

“You don’t need to, to be with me.” This time when they kissed, Karl felt the man’s sex harden. “Join with me. Be with me and you will never be alone.”

“I… yes.”

That near inaudible whispered surrender was all Karl needed. He ravished the man throughout the night… taking away his fear and rejection, replacing it with a machismo’s hunger for life. Like all the others, the Symbiont bonded perfectly to its new host. Cal was now as much a part of him as the other Double Dozens… well almost. No one but Ave was more a part of him. Avery was the only the part of him that mattered.

With the bonding of the Symbiont, Karl learned all there was to know about Cal. He was the heir of a multibillion dollar defense company. Having someone like him was going to prove to be very useful.

 

 

 

 

After crossing the lake, Tom led them across the bleached white wasteland. What is this place?” Lanyon could not believe what he saw. It was as lifeless as the moon.

“Hell, or as close as you hope you’ll ever see.” Tom continued to lead the way.

Lanyon fell back towards Avery. “What the hell is he talking about?”

“This is where it began…” Though blinded by tears, he was able to point at an abandoned cabin.

Lanyon let Ave cry on his shoulder. “This is where you lost your dad isn’t it?”

“That was Karl’s cabin. Our families would spend the summer up here.” Avery took in the desolate landscape. “ Nothing has grown, even after all this time.”

Tom led them to the cabin but Avery refused to even step on the porch. Lanyon would have stayed with him but Ave insisted he see what happened for himself.

With not a hint of mildew or decay, it was as if time had frozen. The quilts in the boys’ room lay on the floor where they had been thrown over the glass of the shattered windows so many years ago unfrayed, its patches as bright as the day they’d been stitched together. Tom motioned for Lanyon to take it with him.

They went down to the cellar. While Tom busied himself with the generator, Lanyon kept the flashlight on the monstrosity at his feet. “What the hell is that?”

“A spiderwolf. Your dad fought and kill dozens when he served as Harry’s bodyguard.”

“He never told me of spiderwolves.”

“What father would? Better for him to let his son live without such nightmares. Look at it and know your enemy for we will have to face against them and things far worse if we are to save Avery’s dad.”

“If rescuing him is that dangerous, wouldn’t Dr. Winters rather have us stop Ave from trying?”

“Who said anything of rescuing?” The sound of the generators kicking in cut off further questions. The lights flickered on letting Lanyon see the cellar in its entirety. There was not just one spiderwolf corpse but the shredded remains of at least nine. Standing watch over the dead was a golden lab. Had it been watching them the whole time?

“What’s that dog doing here?

“Waiting for his master to return. Aren’t you Peppy?”

Tom offered his right palm to Peppy which he licked. The dog then charged up the stairs. Avery could be heard screaming.

“Ave… it’s going after Ave.” Lanyon raced to keep up but tripped and landed on his chin.

Tom could only laugh and help him back to his feet. “Don’t you get it? Peppy is Ave’s dog. He’s been waiting all this time for his master to come back.”

Back outside they found Ave beside himself, clinging to the golden Labrador like a rock in a stormy sea. “I’m sorry Peppy. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to leave you behind.”

“Why did he leave him behind?” Lanyon asked Tom.

“Avery had him stay here in case his father came back.

“He left his dog out here by itself?”

“Peppy is not what he appears to be. He did kill over a half dozen of those things.”

“I see.” Lanyon had new respect for Peppy and for Ave.

It took Avery a while to gather himself. He looked up at Tom. “What now?”

“We go to the crash site and see what we can find.”

“Crash site? What crash?” Lanyon asked.

“You’ll see.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you sure you want to do this Cal? You know your father would never approve of such a move.”

“He left the company to me did he not? If I want Mr. Labatt on the board of directors, that’s no affair of yours.”

“But he’s just a kid…”

“Glenn, you might have been my father’s lawyer but that does not make you irreplaceable. Do it.”

“Very well Mr. Fisher. The paperwork will be ready by next week.”

“Tomorrow Glenn. I want this taken care of ASAP. I also want a meeting with our man in the Pentagon.”

“Which man sir? We have several on the payroll.”

“Whichever one is head of the bio-warfare division.”

“That would be our liaison officer to the SWD program. The company has several contracts with the secret weapons division. You would have known that if you would read the reports I send.”

“Well I want to read them now. Send a copy of everything you have to me and my husband.” Tom paused long enough to let Karl whisper a suggestion. “Also, what do you know about a company known as Lordon?”

“Lordon… I’ve never said anything about them?” The lawyer took one look at Cal’s ‘husband’ and glowered. “Lordon is the company’s main rival in providing resources for government black ops.”

“They’re a weapons manufacturer?”

“On paper… in reality they are a independent government identity, a nation without boundaries. They are a bunch of terrorist mercenary thugs other governments use to do their dirty work.”

“Like Walker Industries?” This time Karl didn’t bother speaking through Cal.

“Yes… like ‘THAT’ organization. Now I think I’ve answered enough of your questions. How about answering a few of my own? What do you know of Lordon and Walker? It’s not like they’re listed on New York Exchange.”

“With all you have on your plate I suggest you get busy. If you have any questions send one of your lackeys.”

“I’ll send my son. You remember him… he was your best friend growing up. Maybe he will get you to see reason and dump this charlatan whore.”

Karl had to grab Cal by the back of the neck to stop him from charging. “I would love to meet any friend of my husband’s.”

After watching his Lawyer drive off, Cal grabbed the nearest lamp and threw it against the nearest wall. “How dare he call you a whore!”

“But isn’t it the truth?”

“Well… you’re definitely not a cheap one.”

“He thinks I’m trying to steal the company.”

“With all the shares you’ve been buying that’s almost true. ”

“I’m doing it for us. For all of us. When can our people start their training?”

“Depends on how soon we can meet with our man at the Pentagon. Are you sure you need your own private army?”

“I will not leave our people defenseless. With this Julian Lordon and probably Walker after us, we’re going to need every advantage we can get. Then there’s the Eye. We can’t forget about that.”

“Of course not master.”

“Uh, uh… I might let some call me master but not you… not the one who has taken my name dear husband.”

“I live for you.”

“I live for Ave… not for myself. You should to.”

“I wish I could. Maybe one day I will. I feel your love for him course through me but I do not understand it.”

“You will. One day you will come to love him as much as I or any of the Dozens. Now what of this old friend of yours”

“Oh, you’re going to love him… Rob is as gay as a pixie.”

“I see. So that’s why your lawyer wants us to meet with him.”

“If he thinks Rob will steal me from you…”

“I know he won’t. We will make him one of us… another of the Dozen. His father thinks his son will be his spy but instead he will be ours. The only question is which of us shall take him.”

“Why you of course.”

“You could… it would fit our plans to fool his father if you were to claim him.”

“If that is your wish.”

“And what do you wish?”

“To be at your side.”

“Then we will claim him together.” Karl knew he shouldn’t question Cal’s loyalty but what would Avery think when he learned he had married Cal for political reasons?

That night he met with the original Doubles.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..