Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 2,847 Words
  • 1,440 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 9. Chapter 9: Change of Plans

Chapter Nine: Change of Plans

 

 

“Mr. Julian Lordon, I’ve told you before I don’t like being summoned like this.” Mr. Todd Richardson said on entering the CEO’s office.

“I think the present situation calls for a face to face chat.” Julian said coldly.

“I thought Colonel Labatt and his men had been taken care of?”

“I thought so as well but something has happened.” Julian said turning his computer screen around so Todd could see the image on it.

“What’s that? Looks like a landslide.”

“It is what’s left of our research facility in Alaska.”

“It was destroyed?”

“Yes, when we lost communications with the island we sent a team to investigate. This is what they found.”

“Do they know what caused it?’

“No but it appears the explosion originated from within the base.”

“What do you think happened… did the colonel’s men do this?”

“That is what I want you to find out.” Julian replied coldly. “This incident has cost us years of research. We have also lost the specimens Travis sent… very valuable samples. This also makes finding Travis’s base of operations more important. We must find out how he’s getting into the Maze.”

“I never understood why you didn’t send an army of mercenaries into the Maze to take full control of it.”

“The Maze is dangerous Mr. Richardson. Travis is also no fool. All he has to do is close his door to the Maze and we would never be able to find it. He could wait us out while the creatures in the Maze took care of things for him. There is the issue of security. How would we know that these hired guns wouldn’t talk? We could of course have left them all trapped in the Maze but word would have gotten out that we double crossed them. Those they leave behind would have made life difficult for us. I do not need to remind you that the Pentagon is already suspicious.”

 

“But they can never admit it. They broke the law by sending the colonel and his men after you. It would become a national scandal. The people’s trust in the military would be broken.”

“And they would be sure to take your organization down with it. I do not need to remind you that the FBI, CIA, and the Pentagon would love to access your files. If the public finds out what you’ve been up to...”

“Then maybe you should close shop before things get too heated.” Todd suggested.

“And leave Travis Walker with a complete monopoly on the technological potential of the Maze? You might as well give him the entire nuclear arsenal.”

“What you’ve shown me so far had yet to impress me.”

“You mean a fucking gateway to another dimension isn’t impressive enough for you?” Julian spat.

“A dimension filled with monsters.”

“Which we were able to fuse to human beings giving them extraordinary abilities.”

“But you were never able to produce them in large quantities. What was your failure rate… fifty, seventy percent?”

“Eighty-five.” Julian admitted.

“And Travis?”

“We believe he has achieved somewhere around ninety percent success.”

“So maybe we should be talking with him instead of wasting time and money on you.”

“Work with that monster?”

“Like you should talk. We know your father killed the original discovers of the Eye. It might be time that the government took full control of the project for itself.”

“You can’t do that. We own the island.”

“We can always take it back… as a national security issue.”

“We will sue you in court.”

“Try doing that. You won’t be allowed to say anything… just as a matter of national security.”

“If the Senate decides to investigate?”

“Do you think your friends in the Senate will risk their necks for you? I control the NSA… If a Senator spilled a glass of milk as a child we know about it.”

“There is always the next election.” Julian replied.

 

“Yes, but how are you going to explain all the things you’ve done… the people you’ve killed. Don’t you ever dare summon me here again Mr. Walker. From now on you work for me.” Mr. Richardson said before leaving.

Letting out a sigh, Julian reached into his desk and retrieved his special cell phone, the one he knew NSA couldn’t tap into. He then dialed a number. “Hello Ms. Rosen… it seems Mr. Richardson has become a problem for us. I think you know what to do.”

 

             _______________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

“So that’s what’s really been going on Ms. Rosen?” General Pulling asked for himself and several other top officials gathered at the conference table.

“Mr. Richardson wanted Colonel Labatt and his men to walk into a trap. He believed they would make superior test subjects for his illegal experiments.”

“And you were the one who gave the colonel the lead that led him to Lordon?”

“Originally the plan was to help him track down Travis Walker and his base of operations. When Lordon refused to answer his question he became obsessed with finding out why. As the reports say… Ms. Emily Wilson believed someone in the government had betrayed her fiancé. That person was Mr. Richardson.”

“I see but do you understand our problem? The Colonel’s operation was not sanctioned by us nor can we afford to admit it ever happened. What do you suggest we do?” Major General Taylor asked.

“I think you should make it in his best interest to resign.”

“And how will we do that?”

“A man is only as powerful as the people he has working for him… go after his deputies. When they are gone make sure they are replaced by people loyal to you.”

“That would mean involving the President.” General Pulling replied.

“Does the President really want this kind of scandal on his watch?” Jessica replied.

“No, of course not, but he will be extremely pissed off.” General Taylor replied. “Lordon predates this administration. How did Mr. Richardson get involved with it?”

“Before becoming Director of the NSA, Mr. Richardson led a branch that acted independent of the normal chain of command.”

 

“You mean a rogue element… shadow ops.” General Pulling said with disgust.

“So what do you want us to do with Lordon once all this is over?”

“Let it continue with its work… as a military project.”

“The military does not condone human experimentation!”

“History says otherwise.” Jessica laughed. “How do you think you developed your anthrax vaccine?”

“We get your point Ms. Rosen. What we meant to say is that we will not lower ourselves to kidnapping. Any further experiments on humans will be limited to willing volunteers.” Pulling said sternly.

“Of course.” Jessica nodded. “I think Julian will find working with you much more enjoyable than the present arrangement with the NSA.”

“One more question Ms. Rosen… do you know where Dr. Travis Walker is hiding?”

“Following Mr. Richardson’s orders, I did my best to track him down but we lost him in Brazil. By now he could be anywhere.”

“And the research base in Alaska?”

“Completely destroyed. The last I heard, radiation was detected in the rubble.

“A nuclear bomb?” Another general said shocked.

“A very small one it appears.” Jessica replied.

“Travis…” General Pulling sighed. The existence of a suitcase bomb had not become a reality until Walker Industries started mass producing them. “How did he get it into the complex?”

“He could have hidden it within the bodies of the samples he gave Lordon.”

“We will want to know what exactly those samples were Ms. Rosen.”

“I will tell Julian of your request.”

“It’s not a request.” General Pulling replied. “Mr. Walker must decide who he wants to work for… us or Mr. Richardson? With us at least he doesn’t have to worry about assassination… so long as he remains on American soil that is.”

“I will tell Julian that.” Jessica said as she stood to leave.

 

            ________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Stop glaring at me.” Harry told Travis as the doctor removed his stitches

 

“It’s your own fault.” Travis replied stubbornly. “If you hadn’t done something so stupid…”

“It was a small price to pay.” When the nurse was done Harry rolled on his right shoulder.

“But what about me… what about the price I’ve paid.” Travis pouted. “It’s been a month since I rescued you. We should have made love by now.”

“What can I say… doctor’s orders.” Harry laughed halfheartedly.

Travis purred as he pushed the nurse out of the way to climb on top of Harry on the bed. “You love me, right?”

“God knows why!” Harry chuckled as Travis busied himself kissing his neck.

“Today, the only business I have is you.” Travis said, raising Harry up from the bed. “How does that sound?”

“Sounds like a honeymoon.”

“Maybe one day we’ll actually be able to have one.”

“Just make sure it’s someplace warm.”

“With white sandy beaches and crystal blue seas?” Travis asked.

“You’re in a very good mood today.”

“Your tests came back.”

“And…”

“Your Omega levels are now at twenty percent of their old levels.”

“So you’re wondering if I can do the old trick?”

“I admit that I’m a little curious.” Travis laughed, hugging Harry tightly.

“There’s only one way we can find out, now isn’t there.” Harry sighed, rubbing the back of Travis’s neck as he closed his eyes. Soon Harry felt Travis lowering him back down on the bed, Travis laying his head on his chest, murmuring softly. “There now… I bet that feels a lot better.” Harry whispered as he took away the pain.

“Uh-huh…” Travis whimpered.

Harry did his best not to flinch… to remove Travis’s pain meant he had to touch it, to know it, to feel it. It had never been easy. It was harder this time since there were four years worth of pain backed up inside Travis. Harry did his best though to scrape the corrosion away. Eventually it became too much, forcing him to let go of Travis and roll the man off him.

A little shaken, Travis got back onto his feet and watched Harry’s body, covered with a cold sweat, curled up into a tight ball. “I’m sorry. I asked too much of you.”

 

“Go.” Harry pleaded… given the things he had seen; it would be a while before he could look the man in the face again.

“No…” Travis refused, a growling tone in his voice as the lights in the room flickered before going dark.

“Travis, please!” Harry struggled to sit up as he saw the infirmary staff run for their lives. Only getting a growl in reply, Harry staggered to reach the door, only to feel something leathery wrap around his right ankle and drag him back across the floor. “Please don’t.” Harry begged as he was thrown back onto the bed… a pair of silver orbs looking at him from the darkness.

“Travis you really don’t want to do this.” Logan was quickly thrown out of the room, whipped hard in the chest by Travis’s boney tail.

“Please Travis…” Harry whispered as Travis walked toward the bed in his true form… the talons of his feet clicking on the tiled floor. When his face came into view, it looked like a deranged skeleton covered in gray and black skin, its sliver eyes sunk deep within its skull. Its jaws opened with an unnatural wideness revealing his rows of needle like teeth. Leaning forward with its long body, it was just grabbing hold of either side of the bed, when two bolts of lightning appeared out of nowhere striking the creature in the chest, knocking it to the floor.

Seeing a chance to escape, Harry darted off the bed and passed between two shadows before bursting through the door into Logan’s arms. “It’s just too horrible.” He wailed as he cried against the man’s chest.

“It’s all over now… Thad and Christopher will handle things from here.” Logan promised holding Harry tightly. “They are actually quite a powerful pair. They knew you were in danger before I did. I only got here first because I was just down the hall.”

“So what is it they’re doing?”

“Beats me… they’ve been under observation for two weeks now. This is the first time they’ve shown any ability. What I would like to know is what happened with you?”

“Travis asked that I do a healing… I was not strong enough and must have stirred something up.”

“He resents having to disguise himself. Appearing human takes a lot of effort for Travis.”

“It’s the only way he can stay in control.”

“We might have to do something drastic.”

“Banish him to the Maze?”

 

“You’ve always known that’s an option.” Logan said as men rushed inside the infirmary with fire extinguishers. “It’s time Harry… time you took over.”

“But the men, they’re loyal to Travis.”

“There are many forms of loyalty.” Logan replied. “They know Travis is not in his right mind. They know you’re the only one who can help him. They will obey you… for his sake.”

“Not today Logan… I am still so weak.” Harry insisted as a gurney came rolling out with Travis, back in his human form, naked and bruised.

“Stay here Harry. Let the doctors look after him.” Logan said grabbing hold of Harry so he could not follow after Travis.

“Sorry if we wrecked the infirmary.” Thad said as he came out of the smoke filled room, clearing the air by waving his hand in front of his face.

“Thank you but you didn’t hurt him did you?”

“Naw… just stunned him a little.” Thad said, giving Harry a wide grin.

“Can you take Harry back to his quarters?” Logan asked.

“It would be a pleasure Mr. Smith,” Christopher grinned as he and Thad took spots on either side of Harry.

“So Harry… care to tell me why you’ve been avoiding us?” Thad asked, hooking an arm around Harry’s elbow.

“Please Thad, I’m not an idiot. I’m sorry for all the changes you’ve undergone but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“Oh, there is plenty we can do.” Chris chuckled softly as he nuzzled the back of Harry’s neck.

“And you’re fine with this Colonel?”

“It’s taking some getting used to. I’ll know better once I get to spend some time with you.” Thad said as he sniffed Harry’s hair.

“Do they know yet what you were fused with?” Harry asked, trying to change the subject. There was indeed a connection… one that he hadn’t felt since the death of the other 22 born in the Maze.

“Not yet... but I’m not complaining.” They entered an elevator. After rising up two floors, the elevator moved onto a new set of tracks moving them along the rim of the spherical cavern. “Where is your place?” Thad asked as he continued to caress Harry.

 

“Where do you think?” Harry replied pointing to the central column in the middle of the sphere as the elevator changed tracks aand moved toward the column that rose high above the rest of the domed city.

“Is that where they keep the Relic?” Chris asked.

“The Relic is almost a mile below the base of the pillar. It powers everything here.”

“I bet Lordon would love to get their hands on this kind of technology.”

“What can you tell me about them?” Harry asked.

“Lordon was set up by Julian Lordon… he’s some sort of billionaire with a lot of government connections. Supposedly he and two others, Amanda and David Argot, discovered the Eye… but they supposedly died in a cave in.”

“But they didn’t... they escaped into the Maze where I was born.”

“Anyway, you took care of things at Lordon… at least for a while.”

“My mother is down there… in the Maze. Logan told me.” Harry said looking over the railing at the sloping city below.

“You want to go looking for her, don’t you.” Thad asked, wrapping his arms around Harry’s narrow waist.

“I’m sure she understands things Travis can’t even comprehend.”

“Such as you.” Thad whispered into Harry’s ear as the elevator came to a sudden stop.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

i'm seeing connections between demon spawn and saint in this story, its really entertaining, i hope you get the time to continue it soon

Link to comment

Another great epic story line here! I am seeing some of the connections from the Centurian Cycle and can't wait for more chapters! Will this be an overall trilogy? I'm guessing you'll somehow bring back Jason and Phillip and the rest of the gang lol.

Keep up the amazing work, know that you have inspired me to start writing again!

Link to comment
On 07/10/2012 02:19 PM, PembertonJohn88 said:
Another great epic story line here! I am seeing some of the connections from the Centurian Cycle and can't wait for more chapters! Will this be an overall trilogy? I'm guessing you'll somehow bring back Jason and Phillip and the rest of the gang lol.

Keep up the amazing work, know that you have inspired me to start writing again!

Thanks. Right now the series is at a standstill until my beta reader finishes going through it. I hope to have more chapters up after that but it probably won't be for a while. This series will mainly be dealing with the heirs of Jason's legacy... both the good and the bad. Jason will still play a part but he won't be the main focus. Hope y'all aright with that. Take care
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..