Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 2,240 Words
  • 1,674 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 17. Chapter 17: The Specimens

Chapter Seventeen: The Specimens

 

 

Given Everett’s desire for the ceremony to take place as soon as possible, it had lacked the pomp of a full state wedding. Among the few guests, however, were three of the Personas. When Avery had been told the Personas were AI robots, he had pictured C-3PO from Star Wars. Instead, the three Personas were a solid block of metal carved into the shape of a woman. Each arm was joined to the body while the legs were like a mermaid’s sans flippers. It had no neck and, while everything else was identical, each face was unique. Attached to that body were a set of metallic fanlike wings. Those were attached to wires and tubing like puppet strings which disappeared into an opening in the ceiling.

Supposedly there were a total of 13 Personas, number 0-12. Persona One, also known as Prime, was their leader. Persona 2, Militia, commanded the Cybernoid soldiers. Persona 3 ran the Ark’s life support systems, 4 reproduction and cloning facilities, 5 , 6, 7 and so on according to their importance. The last Humana, Persona 13, served as mankind’s voice among the Personas. As the least important, her opinion carried little weight on the council.

Then there was Persona 0, the Segundo. He was the only human member of the council and he officially outranked Persona Prime, it was little more than a ceremonial post but that was before Walker came. Since Travis, the Segundo’s word carried the authority of the male population and had to be taken into account by the Personas.

Much to Avery’s relief, the ceremony was quite brief. For most of it, he didn’t have a clue as to what was going on. Since only the language of the Maze was used, Puggles acted as translator. Embarrassingly, the glowing blue sphere cried rays of light the entire ceremony.

The last part was the most important. It was also where Avery screwed up. Grabbing Avery’s face with both hands, Everett gave him an open mouth kiss. From his parted lips a sweat elixir poured into Avery. When every drop had been swallowed everyone waited for Avery’s response. “What am I supposed to do?” he asked Puggles.

“Give him your bond silly.”

“My bond?”

“He just gave you his so now you must give him yours.”

“How?”

“You don’t know?”

“You think I would be asking you if I did?”

Their whispering caught the attention of the Personas. Puggles did his best to explain Avery’s predicament. The eyes of the Persona Prime went from blue to red. She was clearly displeased.

Everett was heartbroken. “Ave?”

Avery stepped down from the dais. “I… I can’t do this.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know how.”

“Of course you do.”

“No I don’t. People from my world exchange rings not spit.”

“But I gave you mine and I won’t have anyone but you give me theirs.”

“Segundo, with your permission, we will deal with the situation.” Persona Prime summoned the guards.

If Avery’s inability to perform troubled Everett, the idea of giving him up to the Personas enraged him. “No! As far as I see it, he is my husband… bond or no bond. You will treat him as such.”

“Everett…” Avery owed a debt he would never be able to repay.

“Come Ave… we’re going home.”

“This is highly irregular.” The Personas didn’t like what had happened but had no choice but to go along with it. At least for the time being.

Everett took Avery straight to his bedroom and ripped away their clothes. “You might not have given me your bond but you cannot deny me this.”

“I…” Any protest he might have made was silenced by another sharing of Everett’s bond.

Though mad with lust, Everett was not blind to Avery’s inexperience. He took a gentle approach. He would not risk hurting Ave. Even without Avery’s bond, the mating was more powerful than any of the thousands he had experienced before.

Resting in each other’s arms, Everett wondered if Avery’s inability to bond was actually natural for his kind. Could one be bonded without the physical sharing of it? A part of him wanted his questions answered but that would mean letting the Personas have their way with Ave. He had seen what they did to their most prized specimens. Speaking of which, it was almost time for him to take part in another of their experiments on the Scions. Maybe he could convince the Academia Persona to let Avery take his place. It might give him the answers he wanted without putting his lover at risk.

 

**************************

 

 

In the Tosian Ark’s top-secret research division, three prized test subjects sensed that the change they had long prayed for, had finally come. The smallest of the three, Jack, was the first to notice. Going to the vent in his cell, he called out to his fellow prisoners.

“Owen?

“Yes young one?” The older man replied.

“Do you sense it?”

“Aye… I do.”

“What does it mean?”

“Don’t get your hopes up. It probably means nothing.”

“Sven?”

“Uncle Owen is right. Even if he is here, he can’t help us.”

“But Brutus promised.”

“Brutus is dead. Why can’t you accept that?” Sven was sick of his young cousin’s obsession with their dead uncle.

“But he promised.”

“Grandpapa promised Julian would protect us but he didn’t stop him from killing Brutus or banishing us to the Maze.”

“What about Harry? He promised.”

“It does feel like him.” The one called Owen agreed. “Do you think he’s come back for us?”

“He would have to fight his way past the Personas and their Cybernoids first. That’s only if they decide not to kill us beforehand. Then there’s the Demon. That was why Harry didn’t rescue us the first time.”

“But Demons are Grandpapa’s friends.”

“Not this one. Not Travis. He was Julian’s friend not Grandpapa’s.” Sven pointed out.

“Now he has no friends.” Owen added. “That makes him dangerous.”

“Is that why Uncle Harry wouldn’t free us? He thought we were safer here than out in the Maze with him?” Jack asked.

“That is what he claimed.” Owen agreed.

“We could have fought with him.” Jack puffed up his chest.

Sven took in a deep breath to calm himself. “You might be good at pouncing but you’re no fighter. Face it little cousin, we’re never getting out of these cells.” He was tired of Jack insisting they would one day be freed. After all these years, no one had ever come for them.

“I don’t believe that. I won’t ever believe that we have no hope. Right Puppy?” A tiny wolf pup crawled out from under his bed. It stumbled and pranced about until it hopped into his boy’s lap. How Jack had managed to keep the wolf hidden from the Personas all this time was a mystery the others had yet to solve. “I know… I’ll send Puppy to find him and bring him back to us.”

Owen was taken aback by the offer. Puppy was Jack’s most prized possession. “Are you serious? You know how upset you would be if something were to happen to him. What if he were to get lost?”

“Or squashed?” Sven added sarcastically.

“I am serious. Puppy never gets lost and he’s too smart to let someone squash him.”

“Are you really serious about this Jack? You might not see Puppy for a very long time.” Owen wanted to make sure Jack knew what he was doing.

“I am. You two might have given up hope but this time I am certain someone will help us.”

“When?” Sven asked.

“Puppy will escape next time they come for me.”

“Won’t they see him?”

“Nobody can catch Puppy unless Puppy wants them to.”

“They’re coming.” Hearing the clicking and clacking of spiderlike metallic feet approaching, all three went silent. While they came at the exact same time each cycle, there was no pattern to which one of them they took. Unlike any other time, Jack hoped he would be the one chosen. Unfortunately it was Sven they took. As always, Jack cried.

“We will get our chance.” Owen words were drowned out by Sven’s screams.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Demon detected the change almost as soom as Jack and Sven. “So… my son has found himself a proper husband.” Instead of feeling proud of Everett, he felt venomous jealousy toward his heir. Why should that spoiled lout experience the love long denied the demon? With Harry beyond his reach, it didn’t take him long to think of ways he could take Everett’s Winters as his own. First, however, he must secure his flank. He called out to his chief Lieutenant. “Lance… summon the legions. We’re about to go to war.”

“With whom are we to wage war against?” It had been long time since Travis had called for a gathering of his people. With food being scarce, keeping such a large number in a confined area for long was infeasible. Before deciding if he would support it, Lance wanted to know his master’s plans.

“We are to removing a thorn from our side. We will destroy the Tosian Ark.”

“But isn’t your son its Segundo.”

“If he were a true child of mine, he would have offered his new mate to me.”

“You said Talon wasn’t pure enough.”

“He’s bonded to another… a Winters he is unworthy of. I will have this new Winters as my own.”

“I will summon the men but more planning needs to be done. The men will not want to attack an established Ark if they believe we cannot win.”

“I’ll leave the planning to you. Now leave me… I wish to be alone with my thoughts”

Lance was more than willing to leave. At one time he was nearly as consumed by madness as Travis but that was before his beloved had returned to him. Only a handful knew about Tobias and none of them desired to tell Travis. The elation he experienced on being reunited with his lover gave him greater insight into his Master’s past actions.

Tobias return had also freed Lance of his blind loyalty to the Demon. For Tobias would always mean more to him than his own life. That is why it was to Tobias and his secret lair that he returned to. If there was a new Winters in the Maze, then Tobias would know who he had to be.

“Another Winters in the Maze?” Tobias asked when Lance told him the Demon’s new orders. “No, it can’t be. How could he? It has to be Tom. I should never have showed him how to find me. Damn.” Tobias bounced from being angry at his son and at himself.

“I take it you know who this Winters is.”

“It’s Avery. Damn it. Harry’s son.”

“Was Emily his mother?” Lance remembered poor Emily all too well. Travis had kidnapped and brought her to his Antarctic compound to try to convince Harry to stay. Harry had promised to stay but only if Emily was freed. It was a promise Harry quickly broke after Harry and Thad trapped Travis in the Maze and destroyed the Relic.

“Yes...

“Damn. Why didn’t you tell me they had a child?”

“Why did you think Harry turned on Travis? He didn’t want Travis getting his hands on his kid.”

“Now that it seems his son is here it might just happen.”

“I know. We have to warn Harry. He’s the only one who can stop this.”

“True but none of us know where he is.”

“I do. At least I believe I do.”

“Boy you’ve been keeping a lot of secrets from me.”

“What you don’t know, Travis can’t beat out of you.”

“Where is he?”

“Domus.”

“The Domus Ark! How the hell did he get there?”

“Just as there is on Earth, there’s a Relic in the Tosian Ark that connect the two Arks together.”

“I take it’s not easy to get to.”

“Near impossible. There is another but first we need the key.”

“Key?”

“Harry left it behind just in case his Maze family might want to risk trying to escape the Maze.”

“So he gave the key to Dietrich who must have in turn given it to Talon.”

“I believe so.”

“But to get Talon, we need to break into the Ark.”

“Right.”

“And here Travis just ordered me to find a way to do just that. That’s where Harry’s son is being kept.”

“Perfect. We can get Avery and the key at the same time.”

“But what about Travis? He will not let us walk away with... Avery is it?”

“Its Avery but most just call him Ave. Look at it this way. One way or another Travis is going to attack the Tosian Ark. Would I be wrong if he’s asked you to plan the attack?”

“Yes.”

“Then it should be no problem. Plan so your people get to Ave first.”

Lance was less optimistic. “You make it sound easy.”

“Compared to what we will have to do to get Aaron back to Earth, it will be a piece of cake.”

 

 

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, I can safely say I'm totally confused. And I'm getting more and more confused as the story progresses. I hope some more details are included soon to clear things up.

Link to comment
On 03/10/2013 09:38 PM, Wicked Witch said:
Well, I can safely say I'm totally confused. And I'm getting more and more confused as the story progresses. I hope some more details are included soon to clear things up.
Remember this takes place thousands of years in the future. All of Jason's children have grown up and in the case of Brutus (Jason/Thomas) has died. While it won't go into this very much I'll share a bit of the family tree. Sven=Odin's son. Jack=Jacob's son. Owen=Varrus's son. The Symbiotes of the present era are the same ones Jason despised, and if you haven't guessed yet Avery Winters=Brutus's heir.

 

The Persona's start off as a bit of a mystery but when you discover who/what they really are some of the pieces will fall into place. Persona 13 will be revealed as a familiar character to those who read the last two books but it too is not what one would assume to be.

 

Julian Lordon,Jason's High Priest has turned against the Argot family for reason's that will be discussed in the second book. The easiest way to put it is that Julian has lost his faith. In an attempt to recreate the Domus Empire he corrupts the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire. Brutus, just as the name suggest, is the tragic historic figure who died defending the Republic.

 

 

 

 

The story of Jason pretty much ended with the First Cycle. He entered the Dreaming to escape the horrors he saw in his final vision. He will wake up but not because he wanted to. He foresaw what would happen while he slept the millenniums away. He knew much of what has happened while he slept is due to his failure and the failure of his friends.

 

One might ask why has Jason let the world fall apart as he has. In the case of his children, he wished them to live out their lives free from the burden of their father's legacy. Still escaping the shadow of Jason was never going to be that easy. With Julian and the others becoming lost sheep without their shepherd they began to doubt Jason would ever return. This has led them to replace Jason with gods of their own making.

 

 

The Second Cycle deals with those he left behind to enter the Dreaming. In particular it deals with the Winters family and to a lesser extent the other Scions. Jason left behind a mess that his heirs have been left to clean up. Like Jason, they don't like finding themselves in the position of having to save the world. In a few cases they come to resent Jason for it.

 

Right from the beginning of the First Cycle I intended for the people of Ares to end up on Earth. Of course that leads to the problem of fitting everything to what we know of world history such as the lack of modern day Centurions.

 

There was no grand landing on Earth or alien conquest of mankind. At that point in time Jason's followers were committed to follow Jason's commandment that his people to join with the people of Earth and not repeat the mistakes of the past by recreating the societies that had destroyed their homeworld

 

As planned from the beginning of the series the Centurions planted the seeds of Spartan culture just as the Legatio were based on the Athenians the Togo Egyptian, and Lahorians Persian. Living in separate societies the Spartans and Athenians could not survive and were eventually conquered by, of course, 'Alex' Alexander the Great. In time his empire falls to Julian's Romans (Jadoorians)

 

In all these cases none of the attempts at recreating the Domus Empire fails. That does not mean Jason's fallen followers gave up. Julian in particular has gone mad in his attempt towards recreating the past.

 

 

It's complicated I know, and maybe I should have skipped the prelude and gone straight into the first book but that one too does not focus on Jason as it does his heirs.

 

One of the problems I've run into is trying to create a followup series that didn't require someone to know the entire lore of the First Cycle. The problem is that it seems I over did it for those who read the first series. People like yourself were hoping to dive right back in as if no time has passed and things would start off right where things ended in the first series. That I didn't do that has disappointed people.

 

The Prelude is broken up into three basic sections.

1. The story of Harry Winters

 

2.The young adulthood of Avery Winters. (Which we are on now)

 

3.The later adulthood of Avery. (Haven't gotten to yet.)

 

The Second Book, Scions, deals with the rediscovery of the people of Ares and the last final attempt by Julian towards recreating the Domus Empire.

 

I can't tell you what the other books deal with without revealing spoilers but the rough draft of the third is complete but still needs a lot of work. Will need to get that one done before posting the second book in order to make sure they don't end up contradicting each other.

 

Right now finishing up the second draft of the third book is in my to-do list. I need to get some other writing done before I can go back to it, namely, finishing the third book in the 'Fallen Series'. about 25% through the rough draft of that one and hope to have it finished by the end of March. When that's done with will go back to the Second Cycle and finish up the Second Draft of Book III which will let me write the final draft of Book II. Hope to have that finished sometime in May. I'll then have to decided what to work on next either Mir or High Sun. That's the problem with working on multiply series at the same time, so little time and so much to do.

 

I hope all this helps. Can only put so much down in the review section without giving away too many spoilers. If you have any questions or have things you would like to have explain you can always send me a message and I'll try my best to answer them.

Link to comment

Great explanation. Was a little lost. This has been a great series. I have been lost in it and should probably get back to real life. Looking forward to more! Thx. Gr

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..