Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 3,028 Words
  • 2,042 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 7. Chapter 7: Raid

Chapter Seven: Raid

 

 

 

“Look at that. It’s worse than Alcatraz.” Darren said, pointing to the lights and guard towers that surrounded the small mountainous island.

“It seems like we’re expected.” Thad sighed.

“I guess sneaking in is out of the question.” Christopher’s voice spoke through the ear radio Thad was wearing.

“How many men do they got?” Thad asked, turning to Kyle who was tapped into one of the few spy satellites not under NSA control.

“Wait a minute… I’m still counting.” Kyle replied.

“That doesn’t sound good.” Darren grunted. “It’s still four hours until dawn. We can still call this off.”

“No, we won’t have a second chance at this.” Thad insisted. “All those lights must be powered by something… Kyle can you find their generators?”

“First you want me to count heads, now you want me to find the generators. Make up your mind please.”

“Find the generators, corporal.” Darren barked.

“Fine.” Kyle sighed. “Found them… the generators and three oil tanks are on the south end of the island. There are at least a dozen men guarding them.”

 

“No problem… that’s why we brought the rocket launcher with us.” Darren laughed patting Kyle on his black helmet.

“Boats two and five go take out those generators and see if you can keep the enemy occupied. Once the power is out we’ll move in on the east shore. With all those lights, I doubt they’re equipped for night vision.” Thad ordered.

“Never doubt the enemy sir.” Darren warned.

“If we see night goggles on them, we’ll go to using flash grenades.” Thad replied. “Let’s go gentlemen.”

“We’re in position sir.” Christopher reported a half hour latter.

“Take them out Lieutenant.” Thad ordered as nodded to the driver to start the boats up again.

Within seconds, they heard several loud explosions just before the island went completely dark. Thad with the four remaining boats then sped for shore as they fired more rockets at the nearby guard towers. Once on the beach, they quickly took out the remaining eastern guards, moving in sections towards the main complex on top of a nearby hill. They made it only half way up the hill when the lights came back on.

“Kyle.” Thad growled over the radio as he pulled off his night goggles.

“I’m looking sir…” Kyle said in a frightened tone. “Sir, there’s nothing giving off a heat signature that indicates another generator. They must be using battery backup.”

“And where is it.”

“I can’t tell with this thing. My guess is inside the complex.”

“Lieutenant Gains?” Thad said, pressing hard on his ear piece.

“Yes sir?” Christopher replied.

“It seems the enemy is using battery power that we can’t cut off. What is the situation on the south shore?”

“Our snipers have pretty much taken everyone out. We can take the south shore anytime.”

“Do it, then move up through the center of the island to the complex. We’ll meet you there.”

“Will do sir.”

“Alright Captain, what do you think?”

“This area is pretty densely forested almost all the way to the complex. It will give us good cover. We also have the advantage in that the enemy doesn’t know how many of us there are.”

“Not for long sir.” Kyle warned. “An NSA satellite will be over us in fifteen minutes. We’ll be losing ours in five.”

“Then we have to act now. Any targets left, private?” Thad asked.

“No sir, the woods are clear. There are a lot of men gathering around the complex but the courtyard is empty.”

“Fine, rockets will take out the towers while snipers clear the walls. The rest cover the demolition team while they punch a hole for us to storm through.” Thad ordered as he led his men further up the hill not knowing they were walking right into a trap.

 

            ________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“So Tobias, what do you think of me now?” Lance asked as he rubbed the man’s bare back.

 

“My mother warned me about men like you.”

“I’m sure she did but I’m kinda hoping you won’t introduce me to your mother. Jewish mother in-laws are supposed to be the worst.”

“Trust me, she’s not as bad as my yenta cousin.”

“So Tobias… where are we going to go from here.” Lance asked wiggling his eyebrows at the man.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean how far are you willing to go to be with me.”

“I thought we already went all the way.” Tobias said confused. “My ass sure feels like it.”

“There’s that but then there’s this?” Lance said, his blue eyes suddenly turning black.

“Oh… that.” Tobias said nervously.

“Have you never wanted to see the Relic or be able to dream yourself into the Maze?”

“According to Harry both places are pretty horrible.”

“They can also be fascinating.” Lance laughed with a wide smile. “Imagine having all that power coursing through you. Imagine the kind of sex we could have.”

“I know enough of what’s involved to know I don’t want to have to go through that process.”

“It hurts at first, I’ll admit that. But afterwards…” Lance trailed off as he ran a finger down Tobias’ spine.

“You can’t...”

“But I can sure seduce you.” Lance said as he slid that finger inside Tobias.

“Oh no…” Tobias moaned, just as Lance opened his mouth wide to encompass Tobias’s lips, a red light glowing from their thin cheeks.

“Well, would you like more Dr. Green?” Lance asked after their mouths had parted.

“What was that?” Tobias said, breathing heavily.

“Just a taste of the power that can be yours.”

“I need to think about this.”

“Why, you need another taste?” Lance offered.

“I need to talk to Harry.” Tobias said, rushing out of the cabin naked.

“You’ll be back.” Lance chuckled, feeling proud of how things were progressing.

 

            *******************************************************

   

“Tobias what the hell are you doing out here naked?” Harry demanded when he saw the man hopping on the ship’s frigid deck.

“I came looking for you.” Tobias insisted.

“Well let’s get inside. You’ll freeze to death out here.”

Going into the dining room, Harry yanked a tablecloth off a one of three tables and wrapped it around Tobias’ shoulders. “What’s so important that couldn’t wait for you to put some clothes on?”

 

“It’s Lance… he’s kind of seducing me.” Tobias pouted.

“He’s been after you since this started.”

“I know but now he wants me to become like him… you know, made into a lab rat. He says it’ll help us love each other more.”

“It could… I mean the Omega proteins do affect a person’s sex drive. It’s not a painless process though Tobias. Many things can also go wrong… you’ve seen that for yourself.”

“But it’s what Lance wants.”

“And you’re falling in love with him.”

“For me, it’s like the class geek getting noticed by the school quarterback. I don’t even know what he sees in me.”

“It’s because you’re so easily intimidated.” Harry sighed. “Do you know what Lance is?”

“He’s like you.”

“No, he’s not. I was born in the Maze, like Travis. Lance was born on Earth. He was one of Travis’s test subjects. I know you’ve seen the results but do you know how it actually happens?”

“No… I wasn’t part of that research.”

“Then let me tell you. There are creatures in the Maze, many of them quite dangerous. All of them though won’t come near the Relic… they’re afraid of it and for good reason. Travis has a special team of hunters that he sends through the Relic to gather specimens. You’ve seen them I believe. If they are sent through the Relic quickly to our world some will die but most will live… barely. When… when Travis wants to experiment on a human being he puts them in a cage with one of these creatures and puts that cage inside the Relic but not enough for it to end up in the Maze. The result is that the creature dies… disintegrates really, it’s partials fuse with the human trapped in the cage with it, making them one. The process is very painful.” Harry stressed.

“What sort of animal was Lance fused with?” Tobias whispered.

“A pack animal with a hierarchical social structure. Travis is his Alpha, his leader. He is thought as one of Travis’s lieutenants… a Beta if you will. Travis commands Lance because Lance recognizes Travis is stronger than him. When Lance looks at you…”

“He sees someone weaker than him.” Tobias said softly.

“These creatures are not all bad. When they travel, they keep their weaker members in the middle of the pack… to protect them you see. I am sure Lance feels very protective of you.”

“Because I’m weak.” Tobias repeated.

“Tobias… Lance does really like you. It is his nature to like those weaker than him. He’s not giving you false pity.”

“But I’m weak… I’ll always be weak.”

“Can’t you see that I’m also weak Tobias? Compared to Travis, I’m a pinwheel spinning in a hurricane. Not all of us can be strong. If we were, then the world would be a whole lot more violent than it already is. Do you like Lance?”

“Yes.”

“Does he make you feel comfortable and safe?”

“Yes… I don’t feel like a complete nobody when I’m with him.”

“Then being with him is making you a stronger person.”

“Then I should do what he wants… let myself be joined with one of these pack animals?”

“Only you can decide that.”

“It will hurt but then I will be more like him… maybe stronger?”

“I can’t promise that but if it works you will become physically stronger. The two of you would also probably spend a week fucking like rabbits.” Harry laughed.

“You make it sound so great.”

“I don’t mean it to. There will be the pain… worse, the memory of the pain. It will never leave you. There is also the danger of you letting the animal in you take control. That is why I left Travis.”

“But Travis wasn’t fused to a creature from the Maze.”

“No… he’s a creature of the Relic itself. He was conceived there and born in the Maze, just as I was.”

“But you’re not like him,” Tobias replied.

“Because I’m different. Good thing for Travis’ sake that I am. Could you imagine two Travis’s in this world. Tobias, just promise me you won’t make a rash decision. If Lance is a man worthy of you, he will wait.”

“Alright… but after what you’ve told me it sounds awfully tempting.”

“Power usually is,” Harry replied sadly.

 

 

“A fucking trap!” Thad cursed himself. With dozens of guards surrounding the complex, he didn’t question the situation when Kyle had told him the courtyard was empty. After his men had stormed inside the courtyard from two directions the trap was triggered, the metal plates that made up the courtyard suddenly became electrified, immobilizing every one of his men.

When he awoke Thad found himself in a cell with his three officers and, for some reason, Kyle. As for the rest of his men, there were no sign of them. Across from his cell however, where three… Thad didn’t really know what to call them… aliens… creatures… mutants. They were in cages so small that the beings couldn’t even stand up. It was not hard for him to guess that they were the specimen samples Travis had traded for Dr. Winters and Green.

“So, you are all finally awake.” a cheerful sounding middle-aged man said on entering the room.

“You won’t get away with this.” Lieutenant Samuel White shouted.

“But you see, I already have. Since your attack here was not sanctioned by your friends in the Pentagon, I very much doubt they will look into your disappearance.” Dr. Frost laughed.

“So why are we still alive?” Thad asked.

“Good question.” Landon grinned, shaking a finger. “I need specimens, human specimens, for our work here and the ones I have been getting lately well… they just don’t have the kind of endurance and fortitude I really need. You men however… with your physical conditioning and military training are just the sort I need.”

“Uhm… I would like to point out that I’m not really a soldier and that I was drafted into this mess.” Kyle protested.

“Shut up corporal.” Darren said, boxing the man in the ear.

“Yes but you have other qualities we find interesting, such as your intelligence.” Landon replied.

“So what is it you’re going to do with us?’ Thad demanded.

“Now that would ruin the surprise, now wouldn’t it.” Landon laughed as a pair of his men brought in the largest, ugliest rat Thad had ever seen in his life.

“What is that?”

“Another specimen, just like all of you.” Landon said, rubbing his hands together.

“What about the rest of my men.”

“Oh them… we’re putting them to work in the Maze. Have to keep on gathering new specimens you see. I’m afraid two of your men died catching this one. These rats, if you want to call them that, tend to travel in packs. Vicious looking aren’t they.”

“Maze… what’s that?’ Darren asked.

“As I said I don’t want to ruin the surprise for you. Don’t worry, we won’t keep all of you in suspense for long. I, myself, can hardly wait. Well tootles.” Dr. Frost said before leaving.

“I think we’ve just met this century’s Dr. Frankenstein.” Lieutenant Gains sighed.

“There has to be a way out of here.” Darren insisted.

“Oh I’m sure there is.” Kyle said sarcastically, pounding a boot on the metal floor.

“Well sir, what are we going to do?” Samuel asked Thad

“We shouldn’t hope for a rescue. That mad scientist was right about that. If any of you get a chance to escape, take it. Don’t even try to save the rest of us.” Thad ordered.

 

“Let’s just hope that chance comes before they start experimenting on us.” Christopher replied.

 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe I forgot how cold Obsidia is.” Harry shuddered from the ship’s deck as vehicles and equipment were put out on the ice.

“I can warm you up.” Travis offered. “Tobias told me about your test results.”

“It will only be a matter of days now.”

“I know,” Travis said, embracing Harry from behind with one hand as he pointed to a dot in the sky with the other. “I’m having a plane brought in. You’ll be back home within a few hours.”

“Home… what will the others think?”

“They miss you. I’m sure they’ll find me more endurable with you around.”

“You know how some of them feel about me.” Harry whispered.

“Of course and I can understand why… after being fused, you are always the first person waiting for them to ease their pain.”

“Then there are the others who are not so fond of me.”

“That was my fault… I let them become jealous of you. Logan took care of that little problem after you were gone.”

“He did what?”

“Harry… how many times did they try to kill Logan off so you wouldn’t have him to protect you? I’m not going to tell you what he did but it was justified.”

“Why do I surround myself with killers?”

“Tom and Chad aren’t killers… they are two of the gentlest people I know.”

“They are sweet.” Harry smiled.

“They have missed you terribly.” Travis added.

“I guess I’ll just have to make it up to them.” Harry laughed.

“I don’t like the sound of that!” Travis said jokingly, squeezing Harry’s ass. He then found himself having to catch Harry as the man’s legs collapsed beneath him.

“Travis… you need to get me to the Relic as soon as you can.” Harry said as he gasped for air.

“Why, what’s wrong?”

“The Eye, it’s been reopened. They’re starting their experiments again.”

“How… how do you know this?” Travis asked confused.

“I can’t explain it. We need to stop them.”

“You’re not ready, you’re too weak. I can’t let you go in there.”

“I can take one of your hunting teams with me.”

“You’ll take three.” Travis said stubbornly. “I don’t know how you can know what’s happening on the opposite end of the Earth.”

“I’ll explain everything to you one day when you’re ready.”

“When I’m ready?” Travis said heatedly.

“Please, trust me on this. Things are not as simple as they seem. There is a reason why we can never escape each other.”

“That I do believe,” Travis said calming down as the plane started to land. “I have no choice but to trust you. But you and I are going to have to talk about this Eye business eventually. Sooner than you want.”

 

 

 

 

 ________________________________________________________________

Well that's another chapter: If you've enjoyed it leave a like and comment in the review section. The next chapter will come out sometime next week. For those looking to read the backstory to this series read The Centurion Cycle to find out how it all started. Take care and enjoy.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

still trying to find the link to the centurion cycle, i'm enjoying the story but im only getting links based on a few names and the prologue with the symbiots :(

Link to comment
On 06/09/2012 04:23 AM, Scarab said:
still trying to find the link to the centurion cycle, i'm enjoying the story but im only getting links based on a few names and the prologue with the symbiots :(
The prelude is just take. It sets the stage for the entire series. Does a lot of jumping around I know. While Jason and Philip were the central characters of the Centurion Cycle. In Nano Wars it is Jason's descendents who take center stage.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..