Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 5,646 Words
  • 2,678 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 2. Chapter 2: Not Alone

 

 

Chapter Two: Not Alone

 

 

“Hey, got enough marshmallows there?” Thad Labatt caught the bag of fluff tossed in his direction.

The man’s son held out three more. “Got them if we need them.” Karl laughed.

“Hear that Ave, smores for all.” Dr. Winters nudged his son with an edge of the cooler he was carrying.

Karl hit his best friend in the head with the marshmallows. “Only if he doesn’t give Peppy all the graham crackers.” On cue, the gold lab tackled the boys.

“Off me, get off me you crazy dog,” Avery fought off the dog’s licking.

“Better help him,” the doctor told his lawyer friend.

“Yeah, better.” Thad dragged Peppy by the collar and leashed him. “That dog of yours can’t get enough of your boy.”

“Been together since birth. Don’t know what I’m going to do when he passes away.”

“Naw, he still has plenty of good years left in him. Come on boys. Let’s hurry up and unpack.”

Karl offered Avery a hand up.

“Thanks.” The smaller of the two said.

“I’m more than willing to help the weak and less fortunate.”

“Hey, I’m not weak.”

“Are so.”

“Are not!”

“Enough you two. If the car isn’t emptied and the beds made in the next thirty minutes then there’ll be no smores for either of you.” Harry’s threat got both boys running.

“Remind you of us, don’t they.” Thad asked when the two were alone. He wrapped his arms around the doctor’s waist and pulled him towards his solid frame.

Harry made a weak attempt to pull away. “That was then. This is now.”

“Which do you regret? Would you give up the boys for the life you might have had?”

“No, of course not. I worry is all.”

“The boys will be fine. You’ll see. As for our Laura and Claire, well… What they don’t know can’t hurt them.”

“Not until it is too late.” Harry added. “What…” His sentence was cut off by the shouting coming from the cabin.

Karl was the first to run out. “Dad, come see! There’s a snake in the tub.”

Harry offered to deal with it but him friend insisted on seeing to it himself. He was the one who had been Eagle Scout after all.

On reaching the bathroom Thad found Avery armed with the toilet plunger opposite where the snake lay coiled over the drain. It was a dark green with yellow striping. “You can drop your sword Ave. It’s nothing more than your average garden snake.”

“So it can’t bite me.”

“Oh it can bite but it’s not poisonous. Son, go get the thongs, they should be hanging off the grill.”

“Sure dad… scaredy cat.”

“Am not!”

Karl dodged being hit by the plunger “Are so!”

“I’ll get you for that!” Before Avery could chase after his tormentor Thad grabbed him by the collar of his blue t-shirt.

“Don’t let him get to you Ave. He’s only teasing.”

“But…”

“How about this...” Thad whispered into the boy’s ear.

When Karl came back with the thongs his father handed them to Avery. “Now grab it as close as you can to its head.”

Nervously Avery leaned over the tub and drew the thongs towards the snake. “Like this.”

“Just like that. Good you got it. You know what to do with it right?”

“I sure do!” Avery turned and chased Karl with the snake. Karl ran as if the devil was after him. “Now who’s the scaredy cat?”

Thad was still laughing uncontrollably when Harry joined him in the bathroom. “I hope you know you’ve created a monster.”

“It’s just harmless fun.”

“For now it is. But just you wait until Karl tries to get revenge. Today garden snakes…. Tomorrow scorpions.”

“Karl knows better than to fool around with the poisonous ones. Your son wouldn’t know a daddy’s long legs from a tarantula.”

“We each have our strengths.”

“That we do.” Before he could realize what was happening, Thad gave Harry a peck on the lips.

While Thad looked pleased, his friend looked less so. “Don’t, just don’t…”

“Not this again. Look, I know you promised Claire that there’s nothing between us.”

“And there is nothing. There hasn’t been since…”

“Since the war, I know. But…”

“When are you going to accept war changes people.”

“It changed us alright but not in the way Claire wanted it to. What happened, happened. There’s no going back.”

Harry leaned over the sink and looked at the face staring back at him in the mirror. “It’s not just Claire…”

“The kids… This is about our boys, isn’t it.”

Harry slammed his fists on either side of the sink. “No, it’s not about our sons. It’s about THEM.”

“You mean the Company. Damned Lordon. How many times do I have to tell you…. What the Company doesn’t know the Company can’t take from us.”

“HE knows.”

“Travis knows but he has more reason than we do to keep what happened during the war secret. Look, if you’re really that worried about it we can always turn ourselves in.”

“And put the boys at risk!”

“They were put at risk before they were born. At least we still have some friends in the military. The Company… Well, why worry about maybes when things are going so swimmingly. Speaking of swimming… we could do with one.” Thad pressed both thumbs high on the back of Harry’s neck. “Boys… put down that snake and get your swimsuits on. ” He shouted. He then lowered his voice to a whisper. “We both know why you agreed to come up here.” He exhaled a hot breath on Harry’s left ear. Reaching under the shorter man’s shirt he placed a hand over Harry’s heart. It was racing. Whether out of fear or desire was the question Thad wanted answered.

Once again Harry pulled away. “I need to go check on the boys.” He slipped out leaving Thad alone by the bathroom sink.

Faced with his reflection and not liking what he saw, he smashed his right fist into the reflective glass shattering it into a spider web of cracks and missing shards and splattered blood. “Damn you Travis.”

“Come on dad. We’re leaving.”

“Be right there Karl.” Thad examined his bleeding hand and watched as the cuts along his knuckles as they miraculously healed in a matter of seconds. “Damn you Travis…”

 

The four swam and fooled around in the nearby lake until the sun began touching the horizon. The adults then herded the boys back to the cabin to clean up for dinner.

When the two saw the shattered mirror, Avery wanted to ask what had happened but Karl convinced him otherwise. With the constant fighting between his father and mother he knew better than to ask questions.

By the time they had all finished feasting on barbeque, grilled veggies and potato salad it was time for the boys to hit the hay. As Thad had originally built the cabin for his wife and son there were only two bedrooms and only two beds so Karl and Avery had to share one. Not that they minded.

Karl however did protest having to also share it with the dog. “Does he have to sleep with you?”

“He always sleeps with me. Don’t you Peppy.” Avery scratched the Labrador behind the ears.

“Does that mean he’s your boyfriend?” Karl asked only half jokingly.

Avery was unaffected by his sarcasm. “He’s a dog Karl, not a boy.”

“But I’m a boy. Can’t I be your boyfriend?”

“But you’re my best friend already.”

“Does that mean I can kiss you?”

“Kiss?”

“Like this.” Karl had caught his father kissing people other than mom more than once. He had even seen him kissing Avery’s dad a few times. He didn’t know why it upset mom so much when she would catch him. That was probably why he was so curious to get a kiss from his best friend who he hoped would be his boyfriend. Doing his best to mimic his father he rolled on top of Ave, puckered his lips and planted them on Avery’s mouth. Neither breathed until the explosion.

A boom that left both boys deaf, shattering the windows and sending glass all over the cabin. The boys ducked under the sheets and screamed, the awkward kiss quickly forgotten.

Karl’s father was the first to reach them. Carrying a flashlight he wore only a pair of briefs. “You two alright?” Neither boy responded. Walking over the shards of glass in his bare feet, Thad showed little concern for the trail of blood he was leaving behind. On reaching the bed he felt the sheets for where the two boys lay cowering. The lights flashed on.

“Got the generator back up. Are they okay?” Harry demanded as he arrived, fear filling his voice.

“Scared out of their minds but at least they didn’t wet themselves.” Thad joked in an attempt to break the mood.

On hearing his father’s voice, Avery leapt into his arms. “There, there Ave. Nothing to be scared of.”

Thad aimed the flashlight out one of the shattered windows. “Not yet at least.” In the distance he could see the red glow of a fire burning on the other side of the lake.

Harry joined Thad at the window. “What do you think happened? A plane crash?”

“Only if it was a plane.”

“What else could it be... A meteorite?” Harry’s jaw dropped and his face paled. “No, it can’t be.” Outside the cabin, first a few, then more snow white flakes began to fall.

A chill fell over the cabin. “Get the boys dressed and down to the cellar.”

“The cellar? Are you mad? We need to….”

“What Harry, What? Make a run for it? We’re a good forty miles from the nearest road. At the rate that stuff is falling we would end up trapped in the middle of nowhere. Better we stay here and stick it out.”

“I don’t understand. We won the war. How can this be happening? We won.” Memories of the last war were filling Harry with panic.

“Winning one war doesn’t mean it'll be the last. Now get the boys in the basement and guard them while I find some way of barring the windows.

“Daddy? The sound of his son’s fear jolted Harry into action. While Thad was taking apart furniture Harry got the boys dressed and down into the cellar but not before arming himself with one of Thad’s hunting rifles.

“Now don’t you two worry. I won’t let anything happen to you… either of you.”

His reassurances did little to lessen the boys fear. Avery sat wrapped in a blanket clinging to Peppy with Karl clinging tightly to him. By now, what should have been a warm summer’s night had turned winter cold.

“Where’s my dad?” If there had been any doubt as to whom was the most scared, Karl’s sobbing settled the matter.

“He’ll be joining us. He just needed to clean up all that broken glass.” Harry lied.

Suddenly there was a splitting high pitched scream that came from outside. Harry dropped the rifle as he attempted to block the sound from his ears. Leaving him and the boys ripe picking for what came racing down the cellar stairs.

It was neither insect nor beast but a cross between the two. It had the frame of a wolf but scurried about on eight spider-like legs. Covering its body was a hairy black carapace, which was split down the spine, underneath were a pair of opaque crimson wings. It’s mouth was filled with fangs with two lower ones in the center jutting out like a pair of stingers. As it approached it made the sound of a rusted pipe twisting in its socket.

Gazing from its three red bulbous eyes it focused its attention on the Avery’s father. Each time he attempted to grab the gun back the monster released another one of its squeals sending him down to his knees in pain.

It drew closer, its two hollow teeth began scissoring open and shut. When it reached within three feet of the man a pair of finger size darts shot out from the hollow fangs stabbing him in the chest, the force throwing him up against the water boiler.

Extending from the darts back to the creature’s jaws was porous tubing from which a black thread-like sap oozed. The tar-like silk quickly webbed around Avery’s father forming a black shell around him.

The creature then turned its attention on the boys, While Karl had retreated under a tool bench, Avery sat frozen with Peppy by his side.

Seeing easy prey the creature let out another screech. As its eight legs crawled slowly towards the boy the dog let out a low growl. As if first noticing the animal it stopped and aimed its eyes on Peppy. It let out a scream but the dog was not affected. Instead it growled louder and pulled away from Avery.

Not sure how to respond the creature scurried back a few feet. It was a feint however. Like a grasshopper, the monstrosity leapt at the dog, knocking Peppy on his back.

As its spiney legs and teeth tore at the dog, what lay beneath Peppy’s short golden coat, was revealed. Underneath was sinew, not of animal flesh but of alien material cords as unbreakable as diamonds, flexible as silk, and barbed like rose stems. These ripped into the creature, stripping away the armored carapace to reveal the gray vulnerable flesh underneath. Peppy snapped his jaws into the exposed tissue, black ichors shooting out like sparks. Only when the last of its death throws had stilled did the dog released its bite. Where its jaws had been planted several silver teeth remained buried in the monster’s neck. Though it seemed to have taken forever, the thing had been killed in less than a minute.

Peppy went over to where Avery had joined Karl under the counter and nuzzled against his face. Karl watch mortified as Avery nuzzled back. “Good Peppy. Now let’s help Dad.” Avery crawled out and made his way to where his father was cocooned.

“Ave… what sort of dog is that?”

“It’s just Peppy.”

“Peppy… you mean you’ve seen him like this before.”

“Only once. Dad showed me.”

“Your dad showed you?”

“Come on Karl. We need to help my dad.”

“Alright… just promise me you won’t turn into some sort of killing machine.”

“Of course not… I’m just a kid like you. Peppy is the special one, aren’t you Peppy.” Avery scratched the ragged remains of what at been the dog’s ears.

Though he was certain the danger wasn’t gone, Karl joined Avery by the black mass cocooning Harry and watched as Peppy pawed at it.

“Get away from there.” Karl’s father’s voice boomed from the top of the stairs.

They both jumped. Seeing his father, Karl raced towards him but was held back by a warning hand. “Dad?”

“You need to stay away from me.” Jutting from the right side of his chest were a pair of finger like darts. Thad looked at the dead insectoid and then at Avery’s protector. “Good to see he was of some use. No matter. More of them will be here soon. When they do come, you two can’t be here. Karl, you remember that cave we found last year near the cliff?” Seeing his son nod he continued. “I want you to take my gun and you two go hide yourselves there.”

“What about you dad? Aren’t you coming too?”

“I would like to do nothing more but someone’s got to help Avery’s dad, right Ave?”

“Can you help him?”

“I sure can but I’ll be able to help him more if I know you two are safe.”

“But won’t there be more monsters outside?” Karl asked.

“Not for a while and not if you two are fast on your feet. Remember how fast you ran to the lake today? I want you two to run twice as fast for the caves. Got me?”

“But…”

“No buts Karl!” Thad shoved his gun into his son’s hands. “If not for me, do it for Ave. You’ve got to keep Ave safe!”

“I won’t leave my father.” Avery clung to Peppy for dear life.

Karl took in the wide-eyed look his father was giving him and understood. “Come on Ave… my dad will take care of everything.”

“But…”

“No buts Ave!” Karl did his best to copy his father’s commanding tone. It worked. When he offered his hand, Avery took it and allowed himself to be led away. Upstairs, the cabin was a wreck. Three more of the monstrosities lay strung about the place. How his father had been able to kill so many with just his gun was a question neither would ask themselves until much later. That gave Avery some solace that he would be able to help his dad.

Outside, an unnatural blizzard of sliver flakes continued to storm. While the frigid wind bit at their skin, the flakes that managed to touch their exposed skin burned.

Somehow through the blinding storm Karl managed to lead them to the cave. There the camping supplies he and his father had used last summer remained untouched in a pair of army chests. Inside were blankets, old clothes, a pair of knives, a fish pole with bait, a fire starter kit, and a pair of sleeping bags. As cold as it was the boys wrapped themselves in blankets before crawling into the sleeping bags. Even then, they found themselves shivering and curled up together. As they slept Peppy stood watch.

 

Back at the Cabin:

With the venom of the Spiderwolves coursing through him, Thad had barely succeeded in maintaining the façade of strength until the boys left. They had made their way to the caves by the time he collapsed to his knees beside the cocooned form of his beloved friend. “So Harry, things have come full circle it seems. How long has it been… ten, no twelve years since it all started. Travis told us we could run from what happened during the war but the war would always find us.

“Dang… I thought we’d won that war… won it for good. We lost enough good friends…. Lance, Logan. Of course the government never told the public the truth. Afghanistan, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Iran… one war sold as four. Aliens, Ha! As if our so called experts know for sure. After all, the battles were not fought above ground but under it.

“ Remember all those times we found ourselves roasting a mile underground. Men would go mad from the heat. Old John… remember old John, he got so sick of the heat he tore off his armor and went fighting naked. Poor sucker. There’s wasn’t much left when the spiders were done with him. Of course, after that the powers that be locked us into our suits. After six months I don’t know what was worse, being stuck in those tin cans or the smell.”

“Ugh …” Thad felt a sharp pain as the darts dug their way deeper into his lungs. “They’ll be here soon. Together forever that’s how I always wanted it to be. That might still happen, you know. It will all depend on THEM. Well, let them turn us into god knows what. At least this time we might find ourselves on the winning side. Who knows we might even meet a few of our old friends.

“As for the boys… don’t worry about them. They don’t care for kids. They need men they can use to fight their dirty war, not children they’d have to babysit. The government will look after them… or Julian god damn it. Julian would just love to have our boys in his program. DAMN this hurts...”

From upstairs Thad could hear the sound of screaming spiderwolves. “Well old friend, looks like it’s time to pay the piper.”

First one, then three more of the spiderwolves crawled slowly down into the cellar but they did not attack.

“Well, whatcha waiting for, an invitation?” When he saw a fifth figure step into view, Thad cursed himself. So this is what was in store for them. “Run boys run…” He whispered as darkness overcame him.

 

 

When the boys awoke the next day, the storm had passed. No sound of birds, insects or anything else that would indicate life continued outside their cave, just the sound of the wind. Peppy still stood at the entrance to the cave standing watch. While they had slept, their guardian had reverted back to his original form.

Sitting up Karl gave Avery a nudge. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” Avery let out a yawn.

“What do we do now?”

“We need to find our dads. They’ll know what to do.”

“But where do we look?”

“Back at the cabin.”

“The cabin! But those things might be there.”

“Do you have a better idea?”

Seeing how Avery had his arms crossed and the pouting look on his face, Karl knew anything other than a ‘YES SIR!’ wouldn’t pass muster. “Alright… I guess we should go back for food at least.”

The trek back to the cabin was surreal as every tree and bush was stripped of leaves and where there had been grass and flowers there were now only piles of silver metallic snow. Beside themselves, there was no sign of normal or alien life. At least the cabin was still there. It was a wreck and there was no sign of their dads but at least there was plenty of food.

“Here, eat.” Karl handed Avery a boiled egg. Since arriving Avery had remained in the cellar his eyes never leaving the empty spot where his father had been trapped in black webbing.

Avery squeezed the egg with the intention of cracking the shell instead what he got was a fistful of gooey half boiled egg. He wiped his hands on his jeans. If he was upset he didn’t show it.

“Sorry I guess I didn’t cook it long enough.”

“We need to find our dads.”

“So where do we look great leader?” Karl didn’t mean to come across so sarcastic but the stress of recent events was getting to him.

“We go across the lake to where we saw that fire.”

“But those things might be there.”

“You said they would be here but they’re not.”

“Come on Ave… can’t we just go home. If I were my dad that’s where I would go.”

“Do you know how to get home? I don’t.”

Realizing it took two planes and a six hour drive through the park to reach the cabin, Karl couldn’t say he knew the way either. “Well we can’t stay here forever.”

“Then let’s go across the lake.”

“In what?”

“The boat of course. You know how to drive it right?”

“Dad’s let me drive it but we need the keys.”

“Where are they?”

“Uhmmmm…. In his pocket.”

“I’ll go look for them.” Avery bounded up the stairs.

“But they’re in his pocket!”

A moment later Karl saw Avery returned carrying his father’s wallet and keys. “You found them?”

“Duh. He wasn’t wearing them last night dummy.”

Just as Avery was sensitive over his size, Karl hated being seen as the less clever of the two. “Don’t call me stupid!”

“I called you dumb not stupid, stupid.”

“I’ll get you for that.” Karl tackled Avery to the floor and the two began to wrestle. Karl of course was stronger but past experience had taught him to fight with one hand behind his back. He didn’t want to hurt Avery so much as dominate him.

In the end, he had Avery pinned to the floor with him on top. Karl looked down and noticed the tears staining his friend’s cheek. On an urge he kiss each tear and nuzzled against Avery. The fight in his friend melted away so he let go and to his joy he felt Avery embrace him tightly.

“Does this mean I’m your boyfriend?”

“Why do you keep asking me that?” Avery whispered.

“Dad keeps on asking… he told me that I look at you the way he looks at your dad. Your dad was his boyfriend during the war. He wondered if we would become boyfriends too.”

“What’s the difference between a best friend and a boyfriend?”

“Well… stuff like this. Stuff I see our dad’s do.”

“Our dads kiss?”

“Only when they think no one is looking.”

“Is that why my Mom doesn’t like your dad?”

“Maybe… your Mom might not like your dad having a boyfriend.”

“Does that mean Mom won’t like me having one?”

Karl gave Avery a sly wink. “I won’t tell if you don’t.”

“So secret boyfriends.”

“Secret.” Karl agreed.

With Pappy leading the way, the two went to the boat house. It was a bit of a challenge for them to untie the boat from the dock but once they were out in the open lake things became easier.

Floating on top of the water were countless dead fish and water fowl, the lake as lifeless as the forest. Reaching the other side, they attempted to dock at the pier but found it easier to beach the boat on the shore.

Avery pointed to a house at the end of the pier. “Who lives up there?”

“Mr. Green. Dad took me to visit him last year. He has a son too. His name is… is…. Tom. He’s a lot like you.”

“Like how?”

“Smart and short.”

“I’m not short.”

“You’re shorter than me.”

“But you’re big.”

“So.”

“That means I’m normal. You’re the weird one. Do you think Dr. Green might know where our dads are?”

“Can’t hurt to ask.”

As the two made it to the house, both glass pane doors burst open and a man with a gun came running out.

Frightened Karl raised his father’s gun at the man. “Mister… Mr. Green?”

“Karl… is that you? How… where? Where is your father and how the hell did you get here?”

“They’re… they’re…” Avery raced forward, clung to the man and sobbed.

“Honey… who’s out there?” A woman’s voice came from the house.

“Thad’s boy and some other kid.”

“Well don’t leave them out there. Get them inside before those things come back.”

Mr. Green held out a hand. “Karl… gun please.”

“Oh, yes, sorry sir.” Karl handed over the gun eagerly. His father had always been strict about letting him touch his firearms. Even though His father had given him the pistol holding it was burning his hands.

The man was about to let the two in when he caught sight of Peppy. The dog will have to stay outside.”

While Karl had been willing to give up the gun Avery was less than willing when it came to his dog.

“Come on dear, it’s just a dog.” Sally, the doctor’s wife stepped out and looked the dog over.

Mr. Green looked at Peppy and then at Karl. “Well Avery, it is just a dog?”

“Peppy saved our lives sir.”

“That I don’t doubt. He can come in but you better keep him on a tight leash.”

“Don’t worry sir. Peppy is a good boy, aren’t ya boy?” Avery promised.

Peppy went over to the doctor and lick the palm of his right hand.

“I’m only letting him in because it will cause less trouble than keeping him out.”

“Thank you sir.” Karl replied with relief.

Once inside Sally led the boys to the kitchen where her son sat at the table. His attention was focused on a computer tablet. “Put that thing down Tom and say hello. I swear you’re becoming more like your father every day.”

Tom was a pale boy with dark hair and green eyes. The black rimmed glasses he wore added to the aura of intelligence and shyness. “Hi.”

“Hey Tom. Remember me?” Karl held out a hand.

“I remember. You’re Karl. Is that Dr. Winters son with you?”

“You know my father?” Avery’s ears perked.

“You know this boy Tom?” His mother asked. Her head was buried in the fridge looking for cold cuts. “You boys like roast beef?”

“Let me show you.” Instead of taking Karl’s hand, Daniel offered his to Avery. Avery let himself be led to Mr. Green’s study. Walking over to a bookshelf, Daniel took down a picture. “Is he your father?”

Looking at the photo Avery saw it was a portrait of military officers. He recognized his father at once as well as Karl’s dad. “Our dads knew each other?”

“They, well, they… Dad, want to explain it?”

At the door to the study, Mr. Green stood polishing his glasses. “I guess I might as well. Alright you three, sit on the sofa.”

Sitting down on the coach along the wood paneled wall, they stared at the slender man seated across from them.

“Where should I begin…”

“The beginning…” Avery suggested.

“I guess that is a good a place as any. I met your dads during the war, though I was never in the military. I was a researcher for a secret weapons project that was developed during the wars. You might say your fathers were the product of that war. In a way, as their sons, so are you.”

“What was the war about?” Karl asked.

“What did your father tell you it was about?”

“He said it was keeping Mom safe.” Avery replied

“My Dad told me it was about keeping the terrorists out of America.” Karl added.

“Saving moms and keeping the bad people out is about as good an answer as any. I take it you two had a rough night. Just by the looks of you and the fact that you are looking for your fathers tells me all I need to know. You probably saw something… or some things you would rather not have. It was to save moms and keep America safe from those things that your fathers went to war.”

“What are those things?” Avery asked.

“Well, tell me what you saw.” After listening to the pair describe their experiences with the creatures, Mr. Green looked at Peppy with greater respect. “You two are very lucky to still be alive. That thing is what we call a spiderwolf, one of the more dangerous enemies we had to deal with. There are others of course… Harpies, Thralls, Mantis, Chimera, and Spawn. Collectively, we refer to them as the Nanos and the war your fathers fought in was the Nano War.”

“Nano? What does Nano mean?”

“Nano… nano is a very tiny, or in this case, a protein based virus. You know what a virus is?”

“Like a cold?”

“Yes, just like a cold. This Nano Virus is a very special virus. It does not make you sick like a cold virus but changes you like a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.

Avery thought of the image of his father in the black tar cocoon. “But DAD!”

“Your father, well, I can’t say where your father is but I do know that it will take more than a virus, even a Nano Virus, to hurt him. No, don’t worry about him. It’s yourselves you should be worried about.”

Karl jumped to his feet. “I won’t let these… these spiderwolves get us!”

“Not with Peppy with you they won’t. No, its not the Nanos you need worry about, it’s a man known as Julian and an organization known as Lordon. With the Nanos reemergence, both will gain greater global power and influence until men such as myself will have no choice but to serve at their pleasure. The same could become true for both of you and my son too.”

“Can’t you help us? We need to find our dads.” Avery begged.

“The easiest way to get you back to them is for me to keep you safe until they find you themselves.”

“But how long will that take. Wouldn’t it be faster if we find them first?”

“Faster but not safer.”

“I don’t care. I’m brave.” Avery insisted.

Tom whispered something to his father.

“I see… Tell me Karl, who do you think needs your protection more, your father or your friend.”

Karl took at Avery, and took his hand in his. “Avery sir.”

“Then will you do what it takes to keep him safe?”

“Anything.”

“It seems Karl cares a lot about you Avery. Do you care enough about him not to put him in needless danger?”

“But… I… no.”

“Then you two know what you must do… stay safe.” Mr. Green stood to leave. “I think that’s enough for now. I’m sure Sally has those sandwiches ready for you and I have things I need to take care of. Keep an eye on them Tom.

“Both eyes sir.”

Once they boys were alone, Tom joined them on the sofa. He then wrapped an arm around their shoulders and drew them close. “Don’t worry. We’re not the only ones.”

“Only what?” Karl asked.

“You’ll know soon enough.”

 

 

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Things are shaping up fairly interesting. Is this a retconning of the Freeman Cycle, or a different segment? Have been a fan of the series from the start, and I can't wait to see more. ^^

Link to comment
On 10/10/2011 02:08 PM, Hermetically Sealed said:
Things are shaping up fairly interesting. Is this a retconning of the Freeman Cycle, or a different segment? Have been a fan of the series from the start, and I can't wait to see more. ^^
Thanks for the review. Finally got and editor for the series so done a little reworking. Not sure when the next chapter will be up and running. Next week is the last before classes are out so will have three weeks of free time to do some writing. Take care and Enjoy
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..