Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 3,980 Words
  • 2,072 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 5. Chapter 5: The Colonel

Chapter Five: The Colonel

           

 

“Well General?” Two hours later as Thad stood behind a one way mirror looking into the interrogation room where Emily was being questioned.

“We’ve checked with Homeland Security, the CIA, and the FBI, none claim knowing Dr. Walker was in the country.”

“And the NSA?”

` “NSA is giving us the usual runaround. If they know anything they’re not about to tell us. Harry Winters, however, we do know something about. It seems that four years ago he and a Dr. Green escaped Walker’s base of operations and sought protection here in the States. There are documents proving we promised to provide just that. We called Dr. Winters employer, Mr. Delaware and he confirmed that a man named Travis Walker showed up but that Harry refused to meet with him. Mr. Delaware claims that his staff attempted to alert the authorities of Travis’s presence. We are checking the phone records now but I believe we will discover that the phone lines to the building had been tampered with. I have asked the CIA to send a team to the building to check on that. The FBI has searched Dr. Winters and Dr. Green’s homes but no one was there and there were signs of clothes missing. In Green’s office, the FBI found lab equipment that one does not usually find in a doctor’s office, like a research grade gas spectrometer… something you would normally only find in a chemistry lab. Everything in the office is being sent to Quantico for analysis.”

 

“When Dr. Winters defected, was he interrogated?”

“Extensively… he provided us with very valuable information. I will see that your clearance is upgraded so you may read the transcripts. Still, even with all the information he gave us, he refused to tell us where Travis’s base of operations was.”

“Why?”

“He claims too many lives would be lost if he did. Since it is believed that Dr. Walker has purchased nuclear warheads from North Korea, Dr. Winters did have good reason to believe what he said was true. We don’t know for sure what other secrets he was keeping. We will try our best to get to the bottom of this but whatever happened took place on US soil. Legally, the military is limited in how far we can investigate inside the USA.”

“But you’re certain Walker is or was in the country?”

“Given that Dr. Winters and Green are missing, yes. That brings me to you. As we were the ones who promised the two men protection from Dr. Walker, we have a moral obligation to find out what has happened and, if possible, rescue them.”

“But since this is a domestic matter, how will we find out anything?” Thad asked.

“Tomorrow the Chiefs of Staff and I will meet with the President and request that you, and a team you select, be temporarily transferred to the NSA. Since we’d then have both domestic and international authority, it will allow you to investigate the matter by any means you deem necessary.”

“May I ask why me?”

“You were an Army Ranger, you have combat experience, and you have spent the last five years working in intelligence. I think that makes you qualified.” the General replied.

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

“I’m sorry for the ride being a little bumpy but we had some cargo to deliver.” Travis said after Tobias had thrown up for the third time.

“This isn’t a jet.” Harry pointed out. They were all seated inside a prop cargo plane and the jostling motion was making both him and Tobias sick.

“When did we become so snobby,” Travis laughed, unaffected.

“I am only saying you’ve once again misled me.”

“Would you rather be aboard a cargo ship? It is hurricane season. Don’t worry, once we land in Brazil we’ll be switching planes.”

“Which won’t be for another five hours.” Tobias said before gagging again.

“Sir…” Logan said in a pleading voice.

“All right,” Travis sighed, reaching into his coat pocket to retrieve a bottle of pills. “Here, take one of these, they’ll help.”

“Just what the doctor ordered.” Tobias said after reading the prescription on the bottle.

“What are the side-effects?” Harry asked after Tobias handed him the bottle.

“You’ll just have to find out.” Travis gave him a sly wink.

Harry looked at the blue gel capsules. Blues… I should have known. “I think I’ll be fine,” Harry said, handing the bottle back to Travis.

“Harry, take the damn pills. This plane smells bad enough as it is.” Travis demanded, throwing the bottle back.

“Please,” Logan added in a begging tone.

“Alright, just don’t let me fall asleep.” Harry said before opening the bottle.

“You really need to start trusting me more Harry.” Travis said, putting the bottle back into his pocket.

“Come on… remember one of the old games we used to play? I think of a color and you try to guess what it is.”

“I’m afraid I would be a poor player. I can’t do that trick anymore.”

“I guess that is something we’ll just have to fix.”

“No Travis, no fixing me. You accept me as I am or not at all.”

“But we used to have so much fun.”

“When we were kids.” Harry replied. Suddenly his mind was hit by a flash of yellow. “Stay out of my mind.”

“I was just trying to let you play the game.” Travis said in an almost pouting tone.

“Enter my mind again and I will jump out of this plane.” Harry threatened.

“Calm down both of you. Travis didn’t mean any harm by it Harry.” Logan said.

“Keep him out of my head.” Harry replied. He moved down the aisle to sit by himself.

“I didn’t do anything wrong.” Travis insisted before Logan could say anything.

“But you did in the past.” Logan had to point out.

“That was ages ago. What do I have to do, confess to a priest before I can be forgiven?’

“You have to be more careful, that’s all.”

“I’m trying but it’s like walking in a room full of broken glass barefoot. No matter where I step I’m going to get cut.”

“Look, they’re asleep,” Lance said pointing to Tobias and Harry

“It will do them some good.” Logan said, walking towards Harry.

“What are you doing?” Travis demanded.
“I’m going to have a talk with Harry… see if I can calm him down.”

“But he just said he doesn’t want anyone in his head.” Travis insisted.

“He doesn’t want YOU in his head.” Logan corrected, putting an arm around Harry’s slacked shoulders as he leaned down to whisper into the man’s ear. After an hour he stood up and sat back down next to Travis.

“Well?” Travis asked a slight hint of jealousy in his voice.

“He forgives you.”

“Forgives me… I did nothing wrong.”

“You entered his mind without his permission.”

“It was just a game.”

“Travis, I don’t think you realize how strong you are or that Harry is now as defenseless as a Norm.”

“He’s Neo… and always will be.”

“As far as he’s concerned he’s not. Not now at least. You should have known better.”

“I’m trying the best I can. Do you think I don’t want to hold him and whisper into his ear?”

“I know you do but he’s not ready.” Logan replied. “You’ve waited four years sir… surely you can wait a little longer.”

“But he’s so close.” Travis whispered.

Reaching into Travis’s coat pocket, Logan took out the pills. “Go to sleep sir.”

“I don’t want a damn Blue.”

“You’re on the verge of losing control again. Take the pill.” Logan ordered.

After Travis had swallowed the pill and had fallen asleep, Lance gave Logan a confusing look.

“Yes?” Logan said.

“Travis would kill most men who dared try to order him about.”

“I’m not most men.” Logan replied, crossing his arms over his chest. “I have been Harry’s bodyguard for a long time. It was often my role to act as a go between him and Harry.”

“That could not have been easy.”

“I’ve lost count of the broken bones I’ve gotten stopping Travis from doing something he would later regret. Travis listens to me because he knows Harry trusts me. Even when he loses control, some part of him knows he can’t kill me. I have Harry to thank for that.

“I was part of the second batch of children… the ones given accelerated growth. Even though I soon became bigger than him, Harry has always seen me as his little brother.”

“I didn’t know there was a second batch.”

“It’s not talked about. There were two hundred of us at first but I was the only one who survived or didn’t go mad. I owe Harry for that. He was once quite gifted. At a young age he learned how take away the pain. That’s what drove most of us mad… the pain of our rapidly growing bodies. Harry did the same thing for Travis once. I believe that’s one of the reasons Travis needs him again.”

“Too bad the two hate each other.”

“They don’t. Travis’s problem is that he loves Harry too much. It blinds him, makes it so that he can’t see when he is hurting him. Harry, while he could take away the pain of others, he never learned how to take away his own. He wanted Travis too but Travis is too powerful, too controlled by his passions. All he can do is overwhelm Harry, not comfort him.”

“Then their relationship is doomed to fail?”

“Not if I have anything to say about it. First I need to talk Harry into not taking the inhibitors. That will not be easy. He has seen Travis in his true form. His fear that he would end up the same was why he went into hiding.”

“Is it really that horrible?”

“It is… Harry would rather die than end up the same way. Personally, I don’t believe Harry will end up like Travis. The two have always been so different… each with their own unique talents. I believe… I hope that one day Harry will be strong enough to tame Travis, the two keeping each other in balance.”

“Why did Travis wait four years?”

“Harry was being protected. It took that long for Travis negotiate for Harry’s return.”

“Negotiate with whom, the US Government?”

“People within the government, people who run a project similar to our own.”

“So there is more than one relic?”

“Yes, we believe it is on an island off the coast of Alaska. They call it the Eye.”

“And what did we give them for Harry?”

“A few specimens for them to study, stuff they’ve not managed to discover on their own. We got Harry back cheap. They assumed this was a matter of Travis dealing with a pair of traitors. Harry was in full remission by that point.”

“Do they pose a threat to the project?”

“A limited threat. We have the advantage in knowing where their base is while they do not know ours. We have also been studying the Nano/Neo phenomena much longer than they have.”

“What about Dr. Green?” Lance asked, pointing to Tobias.

“Harry will keep him safe.”

“He is cute.” Lance smirked.

“Feel free to seduce him if you want. I’m sure you’re his type.” Logan chuckled.

“I just might do that.” Lance said, licking his lips.

 

            ________________________________________________________________________

 

“Jessica Rosen?” Thad offered his hand to the woman seated before her computer.

“Ah, you must be the Colonel.” the redheaded woman smiled offering her manicured hand.

“I was told you have something for me.”

“Yes, please sit down.” She said pointing to an empty chair. She made a few clicks with her mouse until it showed a world map with dozens of arching lines from Washington to airports all over the globe.

“Are these all the flights that left Washington on the day in question?” Thad asked.

“No, that would involve hundreds of flights. Given what I’ve been told I removed all the carrier flights since I very much doubt a man like Travis would travel by such means. I also got rid of all the charter flights since those too would leave a paper trial. Since Dr. Walker’s base is believed to be outside the country, I removed all short range private planes as well. What you see here are all the long range private planes and cargo freighters.”

“Are you sure he left by plane? He could have caught a boat in Norfolk.”

“He could have but I doubt it. Boats are slow and can be intercepted. If this was a kidnapping as you believe, he would want to move Dr. Winters fast.

“There are still dozens of lines on that map.” Thad pointed out.

“Yes, which is why I pulled up each plane’s manifest looking for anything suspicious. Jessica said, clicking her mouse again, causing most of the lines to disappear.

“Which ones did you get rid of this time?”

“FedEx, UPS, planes that are always flying in and out of Washington. That only leaves eight planes.”

“And what do their manifests show?”

“I’m not done yet.” Jessica laughed. “The fact that Travis stepped foot on American soil is pretty daring in of itself. I am therefore guessing mind you, that he wouldn’t double his risk by landing in Paris, London, Singapore, or Beijing.”

“Those are only guesses. If he can get here he can get anywhere.”

“Yes but that leaves us with only four planes… each one with a suspicious manifest. Two planes… the one going to Brazil, the other to Cambodia all claimed to be going back empty. Most cargo planes don’t do that. It’s a waste of money. The one from Columbia I know for certain is drug related since the man who signed for its cargo is an undercover agent in the cartel. The plane going to Pakistan claimed it was carrying medical supplies… I checked on that. The people who supposedly provided the supplies work for a known front company for the Defense Department.”

“Have you asked the Defense Department about it?”

“They won’t talk to me, I’m just an analyst. You might be able to get an answer from them.”

“I’ll see what I can do. First let’s concentrate on the two planes that went back empty. Do we know what they flew in with?”

“One was coming in with animal specimens, the other cheap plastic toys like you find at a dollar store.”

“Is that confirmable?”

“The toys are still sitting in a customs warehouse as for the animals they never went through customs but where transferred directly to another plane bound for Alaska.”

“Why would you take animals from Brazil to Alaska. It can’t be for a zoo.” Thad said suspiciously. Do you know who provided the animals?”

“No the manifests only name the buyer. If the paper work is correct they were accepted by the Lordon Corporation.”

“Never heard of it.”

“Neither have I but they’re based here in Washington. They’re some sort of privately held biotech firm. The government has a few contracts with them.”

“What sort of contracts?”

“Classified.” Jessica smirked.

“So what do you think?” Thad asked.

“Well according to Dr. Winters fiancé, the government sold him out. If that’s true then I would look into the flights to Pakistan and Brazil.”

“I can talk to the Pentagon about the one to Pakistan. Do you know the address for Lordon’s headquarters?”

“Got it right here.” Jessica said handing Thad a post-it.

“You think of everything don’t you.” Thad laughed.

“That’s my job. I hope you won’t be offended but when do you get off work?”

“I’m a soldier madam… always on duty.”

“But even a soldier has to eat.” Jessica insisted.

“I’ll give you a call once I’m done at Lordon.”

“Good, I’ll be waiting.” Jessica said, smiling as she chewed on the end of a red pen.

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

“Mr. Labatt, I hope you’ve not been waiting long. I’m Everett Harper, head of public relations here at Lordon. I must say you’ve caught us a little off guard. You should have called and told us you were coming.”

“I apologize for the inconvenience. I’m just following a lead.”

“Nothing too serious I hope?”

“A kidnapping actually.”

“Not the President.”

“No, two informants who came to the US seeking protection. They went missing two days ago. We believe they were kidnapped by the arms dealer they used to work for.”

“Sounds like nasty business.” Everett sighed. “How can we help?”

“You can start by telling me what you know about animal specimens from Brazil that you sent to Alaska two days ago.”

“I wouldn’t know anything about that specific shipment. We receive specimens all the time.”

“I can have the records checked again but I don’t believe you’ve ever had one from Brazil.” Thad replied. “The manifest says three specimens were aboard but they don’t say what. Can you tell me what actual animals were on the plane to Alaska?”

“If the manifest did not name the exact animals then the information must have been deemed classified.” All sense of friendliness leaving Everett’s face.

“I think you will find I have clearance.”

“I very much doubt that Mr. Labatt.” Everett said in a snide tone.

“It’s Colonel Labatt and I’m from NSA.” Thad said as Everett’s cell phone rang.

After answering the phone, Mr. Harper offered it to Thad. “It’s Director Richardson… head of NSA.”

“Hello,” Thad asked, already feeling a sense of dread.

“What are you doing at Lordon, Colonel?” Mr. Richardson demanded.

“Following a lead sir.”

“And what kind of lead led you to Lordon?”

“Working on a hunch.”

“I see… take my advice Colonel, your lead is a dead end.”

“I would like to find that out for myself sir.” Thad said, his temper showing.

“You work for NSA now colonel. I am ordering you to take your investigation elsewhere.”

“I will do so under protest and will file it in my report.” Thad replied.

“You go ahead and do that Colonel. Now get back and find some real leads.” Mr. Richardson said before hanging up.

“Have a nice day Colonel.” Mr. Harper said dismissively as he took his cell phone back.

You know when you take a girl out on a first date, seafood is not always the best choice… too much garlic.” Jessica laughed as she dipped a large shrimp into her cocktail sauce.

“This is more of a business meeting… at least that’s what I’ll say when I turn in the receipt.” Thad laughed. “Nothing like having the government picking up the tab.”

“Well, what are you going to do now?”

“I’m no fool. If the head of NSA doesn’t want me snooping around Lordon then I’m probably on the right track. Travis had to have had help from within the government to get past customs.”

“And the NSA has the kind of budget to get something like that done… makes the CIA look like a hotdog stand operation. So you’ll be going down to Brazil next?”

“No Alaska… I need to find out what kind of research Lordon is up to.”

“But the head of NSA told to you keep out of their crosshairs.”

“My orders didn’t come from NSA but the Pentagon.”

“You’re not suggesting what I think you are? The Army is strictly banned from any kind of military action on US soil.”

“Come on, you should know better than that.”

“I do but your men at the Pentagon usually don’t do black-ops without NSA approval. Just promise me you’ll be careful. If a rogue part of the government is involved, then they might just decide to rid themselves of you for good.”

“I’ll be assembling my team later tonight. After I leave, you probably won’t hear from me in a while.”

“Then how about we make the most of what time we have.” Jessica said, offering her wine glass to Thad.

______________________________________________________________________________

“You’re late Colonel.” Captain Darren Fisher said. “That’s not like you.”

“Just taking care of a lose end.” Thad said, not able to stop himself from blushing.

“I’m sure you were.” Darren laughed. “Just as you asked, all three platoons have been assembled. I’m leading the first platoon. Lieutenant Christopher Gains has the second and Lieutenant Samuel White commands the third. All are from Special Forces and all have undergone backgrounds checks.

“Do you have the files on the Lordon Corporation?”

“Yes sir, but they’ve been heavily redacted. Reads more like a barcode if you ask me.”

“I expected as much. We’ll be taking off soon for Anchorage, which will be our base of operations. From there we’ll play tourist and take a cruise ship south as if we were intending to make our way to Juneau. On our way there we will jump ship and head to the island the government sold off to the Lordon Corporation twenty years ago. The town of Big Rock is supposed to take up most of the island but Lordon complex is on the opposite side.

“How will we get off the boat?”

“Six life boats will have been replaced on the ship with speed boats… the weapons for them will be hidden in the cargo hold.”

“Once we get what we’re looking for, how do we escape?”

“We’re not. Our mission is to take complete control of the facility and find the evidence we need to implicate Lordon and NSA for working with a known terrorist.”

“I understand.”

“Now tell me about the men.”

“Well you got your demolition team, your snipers and electronic warfare experts. Two soldiers in each platoon are specialists in advance weaponry… you know, real sci-fi stuff. As you ordered, I found the best men I could without dipping into those with shady pasts. You should know though that two of the men are gay… they’re just too good at their jobs to be kicked out.”

“That’s not a problem but who are they?”

“Lieutenant Gains… he led a SEAL team that intercepted North Korean subs and attach listening devices to them. The other is Kyle Kamp. He sort of got drafted into the military when they caught him hacking into their secure networks. He did the same with Mossad, MI-6, and the Russian and Chinese militaries. It was either working for the military or jail.”

“I see… just keep them on separate teams. I don’t want to find myself in a middle of a lover’s spat on this trip.”

“It’s already taken care of sir.” Darren promised.

“Good, then we better get the gear and men on the plane.”

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..