Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 22,331 Words
  • 2,052 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 19. Chapter 19

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Distortions in Time

 

 

When Lanyon regained consciousness he found himself in bed with thick bandages over his eyes. He hurt all over. His whole body felt sunburn. At first his only thoughts was on where the hell he ended up. Then he remembered the hell he had just left. “Where am I? Where the hell is Avery? Someone, anyone talk to me.”

A man in a white coat rushed to the bed. “Nurse… give the patent 5 mg of Ativan. Let’s get the patient’s heart rate down.”

The drug quickly calmed him. “Doctor… you’re a doctor right? Where am I?”

“You’re at Labatt Memorial Hospital.”

“What? Labatt?” How did I get here? Is Karl here? Where’s Avery?”

“The company brought you here three weeks ago.”

“The company?”

“Labatt Industries? You’re employer. All we were told was that you were involved in an industrial accident. What sort of accident we don’t know. All we were told was to fix you up ASAP.”

“By who?”

“Your employer?”

“Employer?”

“Sorry sir. We were told to expect some memory loss so let me fill you in. Do you know who you are?”

“Lanyon Smith.”

“Do you know what year it is?

“2031.”

“I see.”

“What do you mean you see? What other year can it be?”

“We’ll get back to that.”

“Get back? You got to be kidding me. What year is it?”

The doctor walked away from the bed. “I’m not trained for this. A therapist will be by to talk to you later.”

“No… I want to talk to you! What year is it?” Lanyon waved his hands around to grab the doctor before he could leave.

“Sedate and restrain the patient.”

Drugged up and blind Lanyon had no idea how long he lay there but eventually a visitor came to see him.

“Hello Lan.”

“Karl… is that you.”

“Sort of.”

“Oh not you too. Everyone has been talking in riddles.”

“What can I say… a riddle for a riddle.”

“Very funny. How about untying me for old time’s sake.”

“I don’t think you’re ready for that.”

“Ready? What the hell is going on Karl and where’s Ave?”

“Ave’s fine…”

Lanyon knew when he was being lied to. “No he’s not.”

“He’s doing as well as he can be giving his present circumstances. I understand you told the doctor it’s the year 2031.”

“Isn’t it?”

“No.”

“2032?”

“Try 2455.”

“What! That’s impossible. It was only…”

“It was 2031 when you and Avery disappeared. I should know. What happened over a century ago made me the man I am today.”

“Who are you? You can’t be Karl. If it really is 2455 you should be dead.”

“The original is. I am his clone and bearer of his core.”

“The core? Karl had a core?”

“Yes… he moved heaven and earth to find you and Avery. Even when you never returned he never gave up hope. That is why when he was at the end of his life he had himself cloned. When he died his core was passed on to his clone. In every way that matter that clone was the Karl you knew. Since then there have been eighteen other clones… I am the nineteenth.” Karl chuckled.

“What’s so funny?”

“The whole irony of this mess. Avery happened to returned when I reached the same age as first Karl was when you two disappeared.”

“That is a little weird.” So this was what Clive had been hinting at. Nightmare indeed. “Does Ave know? I can’t imagine he’s taken all this well.”

“He hasn’t. He wants nothing to do with me or any of the other Dozens.”

“Karl cloned the others?”

“Of course. Karl somehow knew Ave would return and when he did he wanted all his friends there to greet him.”

Another realization hit Lanyon. “Earth’s in danger. There’s a giant asteroid filled with Symbionts on it way.”

“We know. We learned about it twenty years ago when Travis Walker’s clone arrived.”

“Do you mean the others came back before me?”

“The first to come back was a man named Clive twenty five years ago.”

“Damn it. How did that happen?”

“I don’t know… for the last twenty five years people have been coming out of the Eye.”

“Like who?”

“Well after Clive and Travis there was the team of soldiers I sent in to find you all. Avery showed up soon after that followed by a pair of cousins named Sven and Jack Argot. By then we knew about the time distortion.”

“What do you mean?”

“Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. The Maze and its star were moving at such a fast speed that time moved at a snail’s pace compared to the passing of time on Earth. When you came back through the Eye you moved even faster… just not all at the same time. We guess that’s why you and the others didn’t come back together as a single group.”

“What about the Tosian Ark? How soon until it hits Earth?”

“Sooner than we like.”

“You don’t know.”

“Our guess is two to five years. We can’t know for certain. The rock is changing speed. For all we know it might stop before it hits Earth. Anyway we’re not taking chances. Right before you left, the first Karl came up with the idea of colonizing and terraforming Mars. When we learned of the Tosian Planetoid our colonization efforts increased tenfold.”

“Can’t you destroy it?”

“You might as well have us destroy the Moon. It’s just too big.”

“Whatever you do don’t trust Walker and don’t let him near Ave.”

“Oh we know better than that. The Angel and the team I sent came through the Eye before this so called Travis Walker did. We know his real name is Everett Walker. But he has the real Walker’s core and knows everything the first Travis knows. He’s proved valuable to the colonization effort on Mars. He does not know what happened to you and the others.”

“Didn’t he come through the Eye?”

“No, he took a different route.”

“Make certain he never learns about Avery.”

“He won’t. He has bigger fish to fry.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s convinced there is another one of these Arks on Mars. Whether he finds it or doesn’t matter so long as it keeps him off Earth.”

“Still, whatever you do don’t trust him.”

“I don’t. I also don’t trust you or the others who came through the Eye.”

“Even Ave?”

“Well… I do have Karl’s core in me so not trusting him is not an option.”

“Where is he?”

“He wanted to get as far from Alaska as possible so he moved to Texas… went to college, became a doctor, got involved in politics, only for his career as a politician to fall apart. He got married had a kid but I sort of screwed that up.”

“Wife got jealous did she? Lanyon asked.”

Karl chuckled. “More than a little. She used me to destroy him both politically and personally.”

“How so?”

“That’s a long story. Do you think you have time for it?” Karl asked.

“Got all the time in the world.” Lanyon replied.

It was a long tale that took over a week to be fully told and understood. Lanyon was shocked by how much the world had changed. On learning of the Tosian planetoid nation states had been replaced by Mega corporations and military states. As the hereditary CEO of Labatt Industries Karl was one of the most powerful men on the planet.

The US was no more… replaced by the military led alliance of the United Domains. Russia and China were now the Sino-Russian Empire. A long simmering cold war was on going between them.

Lordon was still around. Like a cancer it would go through periods where it was dormant only to come back the worst possible moment. The Symbionts were also still around. From what the other Tosian survivors told them these Symbionts were not native of Earth or Ares. Mars was the most likely suspect but so far none had been detected on the red planet.

The world had gone to hell in a hand basket. This new Karl was doing his best to keep humanity together but Lanyon was no fool. The clone had nefarious plans for Earth that Lanyon didn’t want to be a part of. All that mattered was Ave and what plans this Karl had for him.

“I don’t like you Lanyon… I don’t think the first Karl did either. But I need your help. Ave is in a very dark place right now. That’s my doing I know, but he won’t let me help him. Hell… he won’t even take my calls. However I would like to believe he would still trust you. You could bring him back to me.”

“After the way you ruined his life... cost him his son why should I?”

“Because you must.”

“Yeah… damn it. It seems I have no choice but to.”

           

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Southern Heat

 

 

There’s heat and then there’s Texas heat. While Arizona is probably hotter and the bayous of Louisiana wetter no other state suffer both at such extremes than the Lone Star State. It is where air conditions was not a minor luxury but a form of life support. It is where watering the yard in the summer is equivalent to cooking steam vegetables.

This is neither a boast nor an attempt to gain sympathy for the largest of the 48 lower states but give insight into the tragic life of one Avery Winters.

Avery was not a bad man but nor was he very good. He was a man whose reality had depended on lies he told others and those he told himself. By accident, mistake or fate the cracked vase of his sanity had been sledge hammered by the actions of other, leaving what was left of his mind as dust.

Abandoned by family and bereft of friends he found himself seated against a barren wall in an empty room of a stripped down house… his house.

One year ago the now mold infested structure had a family and two dogs under its roof. An incident that had lasted but a few seconds had destroyed all that. His wife was now married to another man, his son sent off by said second husband to a New England boarding school. As for the dogs, well, they had been sent off the doggy heaven before the divorce was finalized.

It had made no sense to come back but he did not know where else to go. There in the room where his son once slept he took a moment to absorb the ruins of his life. The room reeked of rotten carpet and mildew which covered the walls. At one time those walls had been covered by murals of teddy bears and racing cars. The paint had long peeled and the walls covered by black and green mold but within the imagination of his mind Avery still thought he could see the arc of a wheel or a stripe of a racetrack. From an opposite window he could see the cracked remains of a tree that he had built a playhouse for his son. There was a time the sound of their laughter would have reached the house. Today he could only hear the loud buzzing of the cicadas calling for their mates.

Mate… his wife had once filled that role if only superficially. As for mates in the English vernacular he only ever had a very few and those friends he once had had been through his wife. When she left so had they. As for the other friends… they had been the spark that had burned his world to ash.

Without a roof, family or penny to his name Mr. Winters had come back to the house on the corner. What he had hoped to find there was still a mystery to him. He did not have a good reason as to why he came back to address where he had experienced so much joy and pain. Was it to find something, anything to base a new life on or was it a desperate attempt to find closure? He didn’t know. A large part of him didn’t want to. In either case the result would be the same. He would have to decide what to do next when he really didn’t want to do anything but cease to exist. That or run away.

Beep, beep, beep… The cell phone; not ‘his’ phone but the one given to him by his minder had gone off. He would ignore it. God damn’t he would not answer the call. The known cost of not answering however quickly overcame that desire to be left alone. When he spoke it was with a shaking wobble. “Yes.”

“Avery? Is everything alright? ” it was the voice of Avery’s court assigned psychiatrist.

“Yes. Why do you ask?”

“Well this is the fifth time I’ve called you since your release. You do understand the terms we agreed on.”

“I… I have a lot on my mind right now.”

“I understand you’ve had a lot on your mind lately. Is it too much for you to cope with?”

“I’m fine.”

“Where are you Avery?”

“In my car.” Avery lied. If his minder knew he had gone back to the house his recently regained freedom could be easily stripped away.

“Are you being fully honest with me? I must remind you that continuing you out-treatment was contingent on my monthly assessment of your progress.”

Raising his right knee to his chest Avery reached for the tracking device around his ankle. It would take only one call to the police for the psychiatrist to know where he was. “I’m at the house.”

“I see… And how does it feel to be back there?”

“I feel nothing.”

“Only the dead feel nothing. You, very much to my hard efforts, are quite alive. How do you feel?”

“Empty.”

“People who say they are empty rarely feel nothing. Do you feel pain, sadness or anger being back there?”

“Pain.”

“Describe it to me.”

Fucking psychoanalyst. All questions and no answers. If his freedom from the hospital did not require he cooperate with his shirnk he would tell the man to fuck off. “A cramping in the gut… like an ulcer.”

“Is it an ulcer? Do you think you need something like Pepcid?”

“You’re the doctor. You tell me.”

“You sound angry? Are you?”

“This is pointless. I’m going to hang up.”

“If you wish to discuss this later we can. Just make sure you are back at the ranch by…”

Avery didn’t wait for the goodbyes. With a hard throw he shattered the phone against the mildew stained wall. Phones could be replaced. His anger couldn’t.”

 

 

Seated in the back of a coffee shop a wiry man skimmed through the San Antonia Express news. He was after only one article. “There, found it.” The article which took up a third of a page was titled “After Two Years Former Lieutenant Governor Elect Winters Release from Mental Facility.” So it was true… young Avery was finally out of the nuthouse. It had taken longer than the man had expected but true revenge was never meant to be quick. To think Mr. Winters had been the Lieutenant Governor Elect only to have his entire life fall apart three weeks before taking office. But that was how the game of politics was played in the Lone Star State. People like Avery, people who had no real stomach for the sport had no business playing a game that drains the soul.

Most of the article was a rehash of the events of a year ago. A rumor, a photo and the resulting scandal was all it took to bring an otherwise decent man to ruin. Avery had not been a bad sort of politician. He referred to himself a moderate, pragmatic in his political dealings yet pessimistic towards the system. In truth he was none of those things. If he had he would have known who his true enemies were instead of idealistically believing in their professed friendship.

The thing about rumors is that they’re impossible to disprove. It’s also true that he who protests too much is often seen as guilty. Such was true of the scandal that hit the Lieutenant Governor Elect. He had a friend… some whispered he was more than a friend, that he had been close to since childhood. Except for that friendship Winters had a squeaky clean reputation. That friend however was known as a quite the nefarious character.

Though as close as they were Avery had not been blind to Karl Labatt’s cutthroat ambitions. He never let him become involved in running his political campaigns. Unfortunately in the last one when Avery was behind in the polls so his supposed friend Karl, who was not Karl he had once known, decided to act on his own. He planted women in the opposition camp, women who would later claim sexual harassment. In addition he set up dummy PAC’s and false business accounts making it appear Avery’s opponent had received money from the United Domains arch enemy the Sino-Russians. He did other things as well, some worse than others, and in doing so he had ensured his friend a landslide victory.

Three days after the election the house of cards built by Karl Labatt Esquire caved in on itself. While he had been up to no good one of Avery’s campaign employees had been a plant placed within the campaign by Texas’s four term Governor whose ambitions included obtaining the highest office in the land. Though of the same party, the governor had thrown his support against Winters main, more conservative, primary opponent. As the governor intended to run for President in two years he would be damned if he allowed a rival take over the governor’s mansion. So as Labatt wheeled and dealed the spy created a mountain of manufactured evidence that would convince Winters greatest fans that Avery was guilty of election fraud.

That is exactly what happened. Acting as a whistle blower the employee gave detailed testimony of Labatt’s shady dealings. All of it was true of course. All of it but Winters role in it.

By December Avery knew that as soon as he took office he would be impeached and his political career would be over. That was not enough for the governor however. He wanted to see Winters broken. For that he had his allies in the media spread rumors about the nature of his relationship with Labatt. Somehow the governor’s people had gotten their hands on several suggestive photos of the pair, not explicit but very suggestive. Regardless that the photos dated back to when the pair and been college roommates Labatt’s reputation and Avery’s wife’s accusations left her husband without allies, friends, or a marriage.

With all he valued lost, Winters retreated from public life. Completely isolated his mental state collapsed into a psychotic depression which consumed what little of his life was left. When he did not answer his lawyer’s calls, the local police found him naked at his house covered with self-inflected cuts and human waste. It didn’t take a psychiatric evaluation for the judge commit him to a mental hospital.

Winters might have also ended up in jail over the dirty dealings of the campaign but Labatt’s plea bargain had the proviso that Avery not face federal charges. Even so, Avery ended up serving the longer of the two sentences his friend having regained his freedom in the 48 hours it took to get a presidential pardon while it took Avery until yesterday to finally be released from the state hospital.

When Lanyon put the paper down a bee hived waitress approached with a coffee pot. “Can I get you anything else hon?”

“How about another cup of coffee.” She filled the cup to the brim.” “Thank you sugar.” So Ave they finally let you out of the nuthouse… if conditionally.

After finishing one last cup Lanyon paid the check and made himself comfortable. He had already paid the bill and given the waitress her tip so he didn’t expect her to come back to check on him.

From under the newspaper he took out a thick vanilla folder. Inside were some of the photos, records, transcripts that, his people had collected during his incarceration. In truth it really didn’t matter if anyone got their hands on the papers for only Karl knew enough to see the webs of truth they formed.

I will make them suffer as we suffered by friend.” Karl had told Lanyon before he left for Texas. One last roll of the dice, moving of the pieces, the drawing of knives in the shadows. But who to go after first?” It would have to be one of the minor players. Go after one of the big sharks too quickly and the school of fish would run away in all directions. Ah, Joshua Mead… you wrote some pretty nasty stories about Avery at that paper of yours. Former paper… it seems you’ve moved up in the world. Mead was now the governor’s press secretary. How will it feel for you to lose it all I wonder? As for you Ave… this time I’ll do things right and never leave you again.”

  

         

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Ranch

 

 

 

 

During the 90 minute drive back to the ranch Avery worked on how the rest of the day was to play out. As always he would be met at the gate by armed security. They would chastise him for being late and given how generous they’re feeling allow him to park and keep the keys. From there he would go to the clinic. The nurses would take a blood and urine sample to check for banned substances and measure his prescribed drug levels. Given he had been a cutter he would have to strip down and examined for new wounds. He would then put on pants without pockets a shirt and laceless shoes. It wouldn’t do his treatment any good for him to be hiding anything.

As he would arrive after dinner he would be expected to eat in the kitchen under the eyes of the staff. If he had his way he would skip eating altogether but that would be going against Berg’s orders. Afterwards the rest of night was his to do with as he pleased. He could go to the gym, rec room, library, or anywhere else in the main building, just outside the facility or inside his room to mope. This was to enforce a certain level of socializing whether one wanted to or not.

Being somewhat of a celebrity at the health ranch he never lack for company. Unfortunately it was not the sort he wanted.

Before he even had a chance to leave the kitchen; one of his admirers stopped by. “Hey Mr. Winters, someone told me you were back.”

“Did you think I wouldn’t Jack?” Jack had been a resident long before Ave had. Like Avery he had, by no true fault of his own, angered the wrong sort of people. As a result he, just as Winters had been placed in the care of Dr. Berg and his fellows. Avery’s only problem with Jack was that the kid believed too much in the rumors associated with him. What to do with a guy infected with a bad case of puppy love.

“If they had let me out of here I sure wouldn’t come back.”

“And deprive yourself with my company.”

“Damn’t Mr. Winters, don’t tease me like that.”

“Jack how many times do I need to tell you can call me by my first name.”

“But… alright Avery. Hey how about I call you Dan?”

“No.” The sharpness in his tone caused the young man to jump back. “Just Avery.”

“Sorry, I should have known better. Anyway now that you’re back what are you going to do?”

“Wait until med round and then hit the hay.”

“And what are you going to do before meds?”

“I take it you have something in mind.”

“Now that you mention it some of us were wondering if you would join us in a game of Monopoly.”

“Don’t you always win that game?”

“I swear, this time I’ll let you win.”

“How about I just watch while you let someone else win.”

“Fine by me.”

Unfortunately Avery was not the only one to take a pass on Monopoly. As the others insisted that there be at least four players this allowed Jack’s arch-nemesis join the game.

Clark was brash, arrogant and a bully. He was also was far less clever than Jack. Now if anyone other than Clark had joined the game then Jack would have had no problem losing. Except Clark was playing and for him he didn’t care who won as long as it wasn’t Jack. He didn’t care if he won to be honest. As long as someone beat Jack Clark would tally it as a victory. That too wouldn’t have been so bad for Jack if Clark was not as bad as a winner as he was a loser. Given his life so far the last thing Jack needed was to have someone like Clark constantly bragging that he had beaten someone.

Avery never hid his dislike of Clark. Like with Jack, Clark was not gracious enough not to turn his dislike to his advantage. In this case accusing Jack of being his bitch.

With such issues at stake Jack didn’t pull any punches and had the game won in a little under two hours; a relatively short for Monopoly. The moment the last player folded Clark reached over the table and gave Jack a hard left hook in the jaw.

While Jack laid stun on the floor Avery leaped on his attacker. As Clark tried to fight off Avery’s blows the two rolled over Jack who flailed about helplessly. Shockingly none of the staff intervened.

Smaller than Clark, Avery ended up pinned to the hardwood floor battered and bruised.

Clark shook a fat fist at Avery. “Had enough shit face?”

Peering at the bully through one eye Avery grinned. “Have you loser?”

“You’re going to pay for that.” Before Clark could punch out Avery’s last good eye he was knocked out by the oak chair Jack smashed into the side of his head. Only then did staff step in to separate the three.

It took two orderlies to keep Jack from the unconscious Clark. “You’ve made your point Jack.” Avery pointed out.

“Do you need us to send for a doctor, Dr. Winters?” one of the orderlies asked.

“No, I’m fine. I could use a hand up thought.”

Pushing through the others Jack insisted on helping his friend back to his feet. “You didn’t have to do that.”

“You looked like you could use the help.”

“I appreciate you sticking your neck out for me but there was no chance of you winning.”

“I lost big time I guess.”

Jack rested his head on Avery’s shoulder. “I don’t know about that. You did win me.”

“Uhmmm... how about we don’t go there.”

“Oh poo. Now you’ve gone and ruined it for me.”

“It's medication time everyone.”

“It's medication time everyone” Jack whispered sarcastically.

“Not you Dr. Winters... the medics will want to check you out.” Some of the staff were harder to deal with than others. The medic he was about to see was one such person.

“What now Jeff?”

“Strip down and get your ass on the exam table.”

“There’s nothing wrong. No broken bones, ruptured organs, or...”

“Let me be the judge of that.” Flashing a pen light into Avery’s eyes with one hand the other took his pulse. “Headache nausea, dizziness? It seems you suffered a slight concussion. Of course you know what that means.”

Avery groaned. “Not another treatment.”

“Come on Dr. Winters... they’re not as bad as that. Now lay down while I prep the IV.”

Jeff might not understand why, but of all the therapies Avery had received since arriving his regular dose of the drug Blue was his least favorite. While the medic prepped the IV Avery made his escape. He didn’t get far. Dragged back he was strapped to a lounger.

With the IV attached Jeff injected 200cc of the drug. “Why do you always run when you have nowhere to go? Now you sit there and take your medicine. I’ll just dim the lights and turn on some music and you’ll be set for the night.” Before leaving the medic place a pair of video goggles on Avery.

The music, if it could be called that, had been arrange to weaken the listener’s mental focus. The goggles on the other hand flooded Avery’s eyes with photos and videos from a past he had long tried to forget. If it were possible he would shut his eyes but the stimulating effect of Blue left him unable to do so.

Every few hours he would be examined and given another injection. That was what he first assumed when the goggles were taken off. This time however Jack, not the medic stood before him. “Come on Dr. Winters... let’s get out of here.”

“Can’t I get dressed first?”

“You are quite fine you are.”

“Thanks but I really need some clothes.”

“Oh poo, go ahead but be quick about it.”

When they were ready, Jack led Avery down the darkened halls to the stateroom of antoerh patient, Sven. When the door opened to their knocking a blond Nordic popped his head out. “I’m not in the mood Jack.”

“Come on Sven... you’ve never said no before.”

“Well I am so beat it.”

“But Sven....”

“Let me talk to him.” Avery nudged Jack out of the way.

“Oh Dr. Winters it’s you. You’re more than welcome to come in. Jack... be a good puppy and stay here.”

“I’m not your dog.”

“Sorry about that sir... Jack, is… well Jack.”

“I understand he’s your cousin.”

“Cousin... if he were my cousin I would have killed him by now. Anyway, what brings you here at this hour?”

“Just need a place to stay until dawn.”

“Well mi casa es tus casa.”

“Thanks... I don’t think I could have survived another treatment.”

“Oh I understand.... Tired of dealing with those mind benders too. If I may ask?”

“You’re going to anyway.”

“True.... What are they forcing you to watch? In my case I have to endure images of my vast and missing family.”

“I didn’t know they were missing. Jack...”

“Is the only one I have left? Is there anyone missing in your life?”

“My son but he has nothing to do with what they show me.”

“Then whom?”

“People I knew in the past... ones that I would rather not talk about.”

“Fair enough... but if I might guess, is one of them this Labatt fellow. He got you in this mess in the first place.”

“It's not his fault. He is what he is and no one can stop him but me. It’s my fault I chose not to.”

“You can’t change a man.”

“But I can... I need to find a way. This place.... do you know who owns it?”

“Some sort of conglomerate... Lordon Industries?”

“But who controls it?”

“Its shareholders?”

“But who are the shareholders?”

“Alright... I give up. Who’s keeping us here?”

“Old enemies.”

“The governor?”

“No… he only wanted to destroy my career. These what to destroy Karl.”

“Not much of a friend if you ask me.”

“He wants me to go to Big Rock where he thinks I’ll be safe. It doesn’t matter I’ll never agree to that.”

“Must be a pretty bad place and he a pretty cruddy friend.”

“It wasn’t that bad... not at first, it’s just...”

He was cut off by Jack opening the door. “Trouble coming.”

“I don’t want to get you two in trouble.”

“What can they do to us they already haven’t tried. Let them come,” Sven replied as he raised his fists.

“But cuz...” Jack was less than convinced.

“If it will shut you up you can go hide in the closest.”

Jack scurried off to the back of the room. “Sorry Dr. Winters.”

“Dr. Winters, Sven... will you please come out and explain yourselves. “You too Jack.” The voice coming from the other side of the door was all too familiar to them.

“You two stay here. No reason for you to get in trouble,” Avery said as he headed for the door.

Sven hooked arms with Avery. “But causing trouble is in our nature.”

Waiting for them outside was Dr. Berg, Whittaker and three guards. One held a sack over his shoulder. “Well, Dr. Winters... can to explain why you are refusing your treatment.”

“Treatment? If anything it’s causing my sickness.”

“You might have degrees in Chemistry and Biology but I’m the head of the medical staff here. I see Sven but where’s Jack.”

“He’s not here.”

“Oh I doubt that’s true. Otto, hit that sack of yours against the walls.”

While Avery didn’t have a clue to what was in the sack, Sven certainly did. “Don’t you dare.”

“Otto...” Twirling the bag around like a flail he banged the sack’s contents on the cinder blocks. From the sack there came a loud painful whelp. In an instant Jack came rushing out and began struggling to get the sack.

Sven charged at Otto but was grabbed by the two other guards. “Stop, you can’t do this. You’re torturing him.”

Avery didn’t know what was going on but he was going to put a stop to it. When he reached for the sack the guard let go and was caught by Jack. Jack took the sack and its contents back to the bedroom.”

“What do you want of me Berg?” Avery demanded.

“What all your dear friends want. For you to complete your treatment.”

“And if I refuse?”

“Then we will have to resort to new forms of therapy.”

“Don’t do it Avery.” Sven said as he continued to struggle to free himself. “Don’t give them what they want. It ain’t worth it.”

“What was in that sack?”

“Why Jack’s most prized possession... his pup.” Otto said as if he was proud of the fact that he had been torturing the animal.

“You would threaten to kill his dog just to get at me? Are you insane?”

“I am willing to do whatever is necessary to get you to see reason.” Dr. Berg explained. “Join Lordon. It’s where you belong. As for these two brats we’ll let them go with you, but you must go back at once.”

“And let you use them as bargaining chips against me?”

“Given how much you seem to care about them, yes, but as I said better to keep them close than threatened at a distance.”

“Not Antarctica, or Big Rock. It will have to be somewhere else?”

“How about the Eye... You can catch up with the other Double Dozens. Your friends could get a good education. You will also finally be able to get to work on the only issue that truly matters. That of helping your friends.”

“I would ask them to let Sven and his cousin go, but even if they did they will still use them to get to me.”

Sven looked into Avery’s sapphire eyes. “Kiss me and I will give you my answer.”

“Kiss? This isn’t really the place or time for...” Avery’s lips were silenced by Sven’s own. What Avery would always remember was how sweet his lips tasted, drawing his tongue deeper into the other man’s mouth. It was only out of desperation for air that caused the two to separate.

Sven’s eyes bulged. “I, I understand. Everything makes sense. Jack we have to go with him. Hell someone will need to guard Mr. Winters back against these goons.”

Berg also looked pleased. “Very, very interesting. Lordon will want to know of this at once. Guards, see that their suitcases are packed and the plane prepared. They’ll need warm clothing. Global warming might have spun out of control but not so much as make Alaska a tropical paradise.

 

While Avery was gone to finish his treatment the Sven and Jack discussed what to do next. “You had to kiss him. Didn’t you.” Jack had grown by a foot since leaving the Ark but still didn’t appear older than sixteen. Sven looked to be 19 or 20. After thirty years they still weren’t aging like normal people.

“He still doesn’t remember us Jack. But that kiss… well something in him his changing. Whether or not it’s that abomination they call a drug that’s doing it we can’t afford to lose sight of him. Not now, when he needs us most.”

“Will he remember? Remember us that is?”

“I don’t know. I’m not sure I want him to. All that matters is getting all three of us out of this place. No offense but Ave is wrong. It’s not Lordon that runs this place. It’s Travis and we both know what that means.”

Jack went over to the sack and pulled out Puppy. “I swear if they hurt Puppy again I’ll…”

“You’ll what… You should have sent him away years ago.”

“I will never give up Puppy you know that.”

“And Berg knows that. I hate to say it but Ave giving in to Karl is best for all of us.”

“But he’s not the real Karl and Avery knows that.”

“He does have the original’s core.”

“So does that fake Travis.”

“All the more reason we need to stick with Ave. We’re the only true friends he gots."

 

Chapter Forty: Cure

 

 

“Thank you doctor. We’ll finally be ahead of schedule. One of my people will stop by soon to arrange final payment. Not at all. Not at all. You have proven yourself an asset and I am not to sort to let such people go unrewarded. Now if you don’t mind I have other business that needs seeing to.” Lanyon hung up the phone and returned his concentration back on the road.

“You handled that very well Lanyon.” Karl told his driver.

“I have as much to lose as you do.” He had worked for this version of Karl for two years now and he still hated him.

“True which is why I want you to take care of our business at the ranch yourself? I’m sure a familiar face will help comfort Avery’s fears. As for his two companions they will prove more useful than we first thought.”

“I don’t like the way you’re using them.”

“But I do. We are all linked in some way. With Avery it is our shared past. With the two young men it's the Maze. Speaking of blood... how soon until your team is ready to retrieve the other candidates?”

“Three remain beyond our reach but Walker remains convinced that Avery is the key towards retrieving them. As for the others, Avery’s son is with his ex. Ajax, Troy and William have been found. All but William and his cousin are in Britain or the US.”

“And William? Is Travis still following my orders where he is concerned?”

“He claims he is.” We have our agents on the colony and they seem confident that Walker has maintained his restraint.”

“Only because he knows that if I cannot trust him I will not let Avery near him Mark my words he will betray us someday. How goes Blue production?”

“The Arks are producing 2 million units a month but that’s just at 30% capacity. Travis claims he can rev up production to 5 million if given the necessary resources.”

“We have given him enough. Never let yourself forget he is not one of us. He is nothing but an opportunistic weatherman. He sees the storm that is coming and would rather be on our side than left in the eye of the hurricane.”

“Shall I tell the others you will be returning with Avery?”

“No, I have business in New York that needs seeing to. Tell Avery... tell him I never meant to hurt him.”

“I’m sure he already knows that Karl. You just need to tell him yourself.”

 

It was a three hour drive from Houston to the ranch. By the time Lanyon arrived his teams had taken over the facility To think of it when Lanyon had left Earth planes, trains and automobiles were the main form of transportation. Now there were things like Zephyrs, aircraft capable of achieving suborbital travel. That the technology had been provided by Walker was one of the many reasons Karl tolerated his rival.

With the Zephyr loaded all that was left was for the staff to separate the patients from those who would remain from those traveling to the Eye. Among them were Avery and the two young men his boss wanted as well. Clark was going to the Eye as were the rest of Avery tormentors for reeducation. Avery might protest. Karl was known for viciously experimenting on those who have offended him. The rest, along with Dr. Berg and the ranch’s staff were to remain behind and continue on as if all was normal.

It was to Berg’s office that Lanyon made his way to first. The psychiatrist looked disheveled behind his desk. “Boy do you looked like a mess.”

“What? Who’s there? Oh it’s you, Labatt’s favorite messenger boy. I don’t see a suitcase full of cash so I take it I am to be paid in non-monetary currency. “

Lanyon tossed his coat in an empty chair as he walked around Berg’s desk. “Non-monetary currency? I like the sound of that. Non-monetary and non refundable. From Laynon’s spine six tendrils whipped around the doctor’s neck.

“But... but I did as you asked.”

Before Karl would even let Lanyon out of the hospital he had insisted binding him to his own breed of Symbionts. So long as he received regular Blue treatments the parasite wouldn’t take control. In doing so it ensured his continual loyalty.

“You did, which is why I am here and not my employer. At least I will give you a quick death while Karl, well, he would make sure you suffered. I’m sorry I really am but he didn’t really care for the way you treated his dear friend. Neither did I. We can’t have you ratting us out to Lordon now can we?” With one last squeeze he broke Berg’s neck.

His Symbiont had been bred not to feed off its host. Still it needed to feed. Hungry it slid part of itself from Lanyaon and slithered to the fresh corpse. Laynon found just having just a part of it off him provided him with a sense of relief.

With Avery’s doctor taken cared of Lanyon went searching for Avery. It didn’t take him long to find him. Though a decade had passed since they last laid eyes on each other the two recognized each other at once. “Avery... it’s me.”

“I know... I was expecting Karl but I should have guessed he would send you instead.”

“No, you don’t understand. It’s me.” Ripping off his shirt he turned and showed Avery the exposed groove where the Symbiont should have been joined to his back.” Avery spun Lanyon around and slugged him.

“Alright who did you kill?” Avery might have forgotten everything of the Maze but he still knew what Karl had done to him.”

“Is that all you have to say to me after all these years?”

‘Come on Lanyon.... who?”

“Berg. But it wasn’t like he didn’t deserve it.”

“No one deserves being eaten by those things.”

“At least I killed him first.” Lanyon replied. Avery turned his back to him in disgust. “Don’t be like this.”

“I don’t want to be but what else can I do. You just killed a man you never met just so you can meet me without your minder.”

“Damn it Avery.” Before he could argue otherwise Lanyon kissed him hard. “You know how long I’ve waited to do that.”

“Longer than any man should.”

“Oh it’s you.” Sven recognized Lanyon as soon as he saw him. Seated behind him were Jack and the wolf pup he clung to.”

“He’s an old friend.” Avery explained.

“One you should avoid.”

“Yes... not doing a good job of it, am I? The town saw me as a threat.” Is that not so?” As far as Avery knew the events leading to his fleeing Big Rock took place just twelve years ago and not over a century it had been.

Lanyon growled. He knew Sven and Jack recognized him. He thought they would have been glad to see him but they glared at him coldly. He could only guess it had to do with him working for Karl. “Those who did are either dead or well contained. The Double Dozen saw to that.”

“The double dozen?” Jack asked. He remembered Avery talking about it back in Ares but this was the first time he heard them mentioned on Earth.

“It was what the people in town called us. Two dozen births in two weeks. The double dozen. All 24 of us grew up as a unit. They were my world.” Avery couldn’t talk about it without pain and deep sadness.

Logan looks solemnly at Avery “And you were at the center of it. You were the one who was different. We all loved you for that. The elders, well, we made them pay for what they tried to do to you. As you’ve heard Big Rock is a big place these days. General Industries, Bio-Corp, a whole slew of businesses are based there now. All of which are controlled and owned by the double dozen.”

“I swore I would never go back there and I never will.”

“Of course... that is why I’m taking you to the Eye. It was where we all said we were going to once. We all did but you. Back then that was probably for the best. Now we’re in charge and we won’t let anything happen to you... or your two friends. Cute dog by the way.” Lanyon reached over to pat the pup but pulled back when the wolf snapped at him.

“Puppy doesn’t like the smell of you and neither do I.”

Sven chided his cousin. “Be nice Jack.”

“But he has a wormy thing now.”

Avery was surprised. “You know about the Nanos?”

“Nanos? So that’s what you’re calling them these days?” Sven asked. “Monsters and traitors if you ask me.”

This time Lanyon could not say they were being unfair. So the Symbionts were another black mark against me.

“Whatever they might be it’s not the Dozen’s fault. It was done to them when they were born.”

“We know. We know more about them then you or him.”

A sudden realization hit Lanyon. Since returning he had heard about Travis’s Neo research. Except for the Dozens he had never met one. But these two… “You are Neos. Aren’t ya.”

“Is that what they’re calling us these days?” Jack asked Sven.

“Seems to be. I would rather be known as a Scion myself. Avery, you’re one too by the way.”

“What’s the difference between a Neo and a Scion?”

“A Scion is a Neo but not all Neos are Scions. Git my drift?” Sven said. “The Nanos such as this dumb lug are our blood enemy, yours too.”

“Avery is not an enemy, of me or any of the Double Dozen.”

“But he is the natural enemy of the Symbionts.”

Avery sighed. “It's true. They are the enemy. When I left I swore I would find a way of freeing us from those things.”

“You seem to have done a good job with Karl but given the treatment it is a limited cure at best.” Lanyon said.

“What is he talking about Avery?” Jack asked.

“Never you mind, Jack.” Sven led his cousin away.

“It is good to see you again.” Lanyon told Avery again.

“I missed you too but what is Karl and the others thinking.” Avery demanded.

“We were thinking about you. Things are rapidly moving ahead and when they do we will have you with us.”

“What? To celebrate the fall of mankind, the destruction of this world, a Symbiont on the back of every child?”

“To keep you safe. It’s true the Symbionts see you as a threat but we, the Doubles, have some control over them. They need us, and will do nothing that risks us turning against them. Those who have, like in Big Rock, are long dead. In that sense we are unlike other Symbiont hosts for we and those we infest are able to defy them. We are new Nanos. You can even say were are the Neo Nanos.”

“What does that make me?”

“You are the Neo spoke that lies at the center of all 24 of us. Without you we would be powerless against the Symbionts. Without you we are damned. We cannot, will not let that happen. If it helps don’t think of us protecting you but you protecting us from ourselves. I...” Lanyon reached for his spine where the Symbiont was rejoining with its host. “Damn it, I’m not ready.”

“Neither am I.” Regardless of the pain it would cause, Avery slipped a hand between Lanyon’s back and the lamprey's raspy suckers. When they clung to his skin instead of Lanyon’s his scream was near as deafening as the death wails of the symbiotic worm. The concussion wave produced sent everyone to the floor.

The first to recover was Jack. “Puppy? Puppy where are you?”

Hearing the tiny wolf whelping Jack followed it to where pup paced around the convulsing Avery. He had streams of blood coming from every orifice, his eyes a solid crimson red. “Help! Someone… anyone… we need help!” Using his shirt he tried to wipe away the blood. He then turned Avery’s head to the side so he would not choke on his blood. Seeing the parasite clinging to Avery, he kicked at it. It was dead.

By that point Sven had joined him. “What the hell was he thinking?”

“I don’t even know what just happened.”

“I do... my father told me stories about the Symbionts, mainly to give me nightmares I suppose. They can’t live long without a host but once they have one they’re near impossible to kill. Father mentioned that only one person had every killed a bonded Symbiont and that was grandfather.”

“Does that mean we were right all along? He’s family?”

“I don’t know. As a Scion a Symbiont can’t bond to you without dying but what Avery just did, I don’t know if either of us has it in us to do that. At least I’m not brave enough.”

“Why, why did you go and do that?” Lanyon dazed but awake was crawling toward them.

Sven gave his cousin a nudge. “Go help him.”

“Is it safe to?”

“Yes he’s safe.”

After Jack dragged him to Avery, Lanyon rolled on his side and pulled Avery’ towards him. “Fool, what the hell were you thinking? I need my pills. Damn’t I need them. Jack, it is you, right?”

“Yeah?”

“I need you to find my coat. I left it in Berg’s office. There’s a pill box in the inner left breast pocket. Find them and bring them back.”

“But...”

Sven moved closer to Avery. “Do as he says Jack. Don’t worry I won’t leave him alone with Avery.”

“Puppy you stay here and protect Avery. I’ll be right back.”

“Puppy? He still hasn’t up with a better name?” Lanyon asked Sven. The two’s coldness to him was slowly melting.

“Sort of fits. He’s had that wolf with him for as far back as I can remember and it’s not aged a day. Ain’t that right Puppy?” Sven ruffled the wolf’s gray fur.

Jack was only gone a short while. “I’m back... this better work. I couldn’t open it myself.”

“You’re not meant to.” Pressing both thumbs on what looked like a cigar case the lid popped open, revealing four small syringes filled with the Blue drug. “Try to keep him still while I do this.”

“The convulsions are getting worse.” Sven noticed as he and Jack tried their best to give Lanyon some chance at hitting a vein. The first two tries failed. The third needle snapped before he could give the full injection.

“This is the last one.” Before Lanyon could aim, Sven grabbed the needle and plunged it directly into Avery’s heart.

“You needed a bigger target.” Was Sven’s only reply.

“It seems to be working.” Jack yelped. It was working; Avery’s convulsions began to ease. “The bleeding’s stopped,” he said shortly after.

“Damn fool. What were you thinking?” Tears streamed from Lanyon’s eyes.

Avery beckoned Lanyon closer. “Wha... what I had to do,” he whispered.

Lanyon watched as a medical crew arrived with a stretcher. “Never again Ave... never again.”

 

 

Karl stood outside the Manhattan apartment tower and waited. When the lights on the top floor went dark he knew he didn’t have long to wait. In no time at all his people would have Avery’s son and be flying him northward for the Canadian border to Alaska. As for Avery’s ex-wife, she would wake to find Daniel and her husband missing.

When the doorman opened the door a man in a black suite stepped out. He looked about with desperation in his eyes. When he caught sight of Karl he let out a sigh of relief. “You’ve come.”

“Didn’t think I would?”

“I did everything you asked. Do you have the stuff?”

“I do…” A plain ebony box passed hands.

“Will it work? Will it really work?”

“It worked on your friend, didn’t it?”

“Yeah but he wasn’t the one you asked to pull this stunt.”

“It was already too late and you know it. Too late for all three of you.”

“I’ll never be able to forgive myself.”

“I’m sure your lover will. Here’s a little piece of advice… next time you are in an open relationship… make certain to use a condom.”

“Fuck you!” He flicked Karl off. “Tara told me what a bastard you are. I should have listened. I hope you get AIDS and have to sell your humanity to be cured.”

“No… sorry. I don’t think I will. I have a lover who means more to me than your wife ever meant to you. I keep my vows. Now where’s Daniel?”

“He’s in the lobby. I’ll get him for you.”

“No, I think you’ve done enough. I’ll get him myself. I’m certain he’ll be happy seeing his Uncle Karl again.” He wiggled his fingers at the glass door. There with his grinning face plastered to the door was Avery’s son.

 

Chapter Forty-One: Pancakes

 

 

Avery noticed several things when he woke. First was the pain that rack every part of his body. The other was the warmth of a man’s body entwined with his own. The other was the drip, drip, dripping sound of the IV bag hanging over the bed. Their content, a glowing navy blue, was a drug he was all too familiar with.

He did not need to turn around to see who held him. The broad chest, strong build and dusting of hair on his chest could belong to only one person, Lanyon.

As he stirred he felt Lanyon’s hold tighten around him. “Easy Ave, you’ve not yet begun to recover.”

Lanyon was correct. Shifting his position had sent a spike of pain down Avery’s spine. “Where am I?”

“Where you belong. Where you’ve always belonged.” Another body joined them on the bed. His was more familiar to Avery than the first. “Karl,” He said the name with both fear and longing.

“Hush... You need to rest. I know why dyou did it for that I love you all the more. But it was foolish if not insane. Your life is more important to than a mere inconvenience.”

“You never saw it that way.”

“That was before I understood the costs. Swear; swear to us both that you will never attempt another stunt like this. Two times you’ve done it and each time it nearly killed you. Attempting to save all 24 is not in the cards.”

The room’s lights were slowly turned on, filling the room with a dim light. Around them were the rest of the Double Dozen.

Karl had described him as the spoke of their wheel. With 46 eyes all aimed at him Avery could not deny the truth. As far as the 23 saw it he was, is, and always will be the center of their world. How his fear must have pained them.

Somewhere in the room a grandfather clock chimed the hour. “It’s time for a feeding.”

Avery’s heart skipped a beat. “No....”

“You must be fed.” Karl insisted.

“But... no.” Avery, too weak to put up much resistance, felt Karl’s lips press against his own. The sweet taste of those lip and the rich liquor and flowed from them sent a shiver down Avery’s spine. It was like as it had been all those years ago. He had been knifed in an alley off 7th Street in Austin. He might have died if Karl had not been with him. To save his life Karl had fed him the essence of his core. Its power had left Avery without a scar. The side effects however would later come back to haunt them both.

That love did more than heal him. It became a part of him. It stirred passions he had never felt. And while that love was not consummated cherished photographic proof of that night ended up destroying both their lives.

As soon as their lips parted they were replaced by the other members of the double dozen. Karl’s blue should have been enough to heal but the feedings continued on for over an hour.

Avery was no fool. He knew what Karl was up to. He must believe that binding him to the others would make his leaving impossible. He was probably right. With each release of their love old fond memories were recalled and reinforced. As they loved each other they loved him. That love, that sense of belonging was impossible to deny. He was one of the Double Dozen, maybe not it’s leader but nonetheless it’s most beloved member. To refuse to accept that basic truth would be to deny his love for his son.

As the feedings continued an orgy of lovemaking took hold of them. While Avery was not consumed by their shared lust, he did not resist Karl and Lanyon as they made love to him. When it arrived the climaxed crescendo was felt by all twenty four at the same time. As a result the orgasmic blow that hit Avery was magnified by 24, an explosion of pleasure only a sexual superhuman could experience. More powerful and lasting were the waves of contentment.

If that was all they had planned for him Avery might have been content. Karl however had more in store. “Come Ave. I must show you something.”

While the feedings had taken away his pain he was still very weak. Karl understood and was probably very please that he had to carry Avery to the Eye’s garden courtyard.

Over a dozen children were playing outside, some with ball, others jacks and blocks. Among them was Avery’s son Daniel. He was busy building a large castle with two other boys.

“See, your boy has already two new friends.” One of the boys, Karl’s son Andrew, would hand Daniel the blocks. Daniel would then point to the spot he wanted it to go and then have Lanyon’s younger clone put it in place. Watching the pair was a ghostly pale child and his dark haired companion. “Those two are Octavius and Jase; the others are William, Ajax, and Sven and Jack.”

“Who are their fathers”?

“Except for Lanyon son and my own we don’t know. What we do know is that you and they seem to be the only ones immune to the Nano Symbionts. We hope that by bringing them here that you will be able to discover the means of freeing us from these parasites.”

Karl sat Avery down on a black caste iron chair. He then waved the boys to him.

When Daniel saw his father he ran and leapt into his father’s lap. “Daddy!”

“Hey rug rat hows-ya doing.”

“I’m doing great. Me, Andrew and Lanyon are building a castle.”

“I can see that. It’s a pretty big one.”

“It's big, but I want to build an even bigger one.”

“How big?”

“So big that we can all move in together.”

“What about this castle?” Avery pointed to the Eye.

“It smells funny. Our castle will smell like pancakes.”

“Pancakes? With lots of syrup and butter?"

“Yes... can you make me some?” Daniel asked in a begging tone.

“I’ll see what I can cook up.”

“Did you hear that everyone? Daddy’s making us pancakes.” Daniel and the other children formed a circle around Avery and danced and squealed.

Karl offered Daniel a hand up. “Looks like I need to be getting you to the kitchen.”

“We’ll come too.” Sven and Jack followed with tiny Puppy prancing behind them. They had kept such a close eye on Avery they could see something had changed.

Though tired and weak Avery ruled that kitchen like a dictator. Insisting on doing most of the cooking himself he left the others the chore of washing the blueberries and cutting up the bananas and strawberries.

“No wonder Daniel is so excited... Avery makes the making pancakes into a work of art. “Sven told Jack.

By the time they were done there were twelve tall stacks of the most fluffy and perfectly round pancakes on the table that Sven and Jack had ever seen. The toppings were even more impressive: fresh cinnamon whip cream, candied pecans, sugar sweetened blueberries and peaches, chocolate dipped slices of strawberries and bananas, Canadian maple syrup, freshly churned butter, as well as raspberry, blackberry, and huckleberry syrup.

When all was ready, the kids blitzkrieg the kitchen and laid waste to the plates, bowels and cups. Like a pack of piranha they dug into the pancakes leaving not a crumb or smudge of syrup on their plates. Full the raiders made a hasty retreat to Daniel’s room to rest and play board games.

As Avery and the others busied themselves with the mountainous task of cleaning up Karl whispered into Avery ear; “A thank you would have been nice.”

“Weren’t their grins and laughter not thanks enough?”

Karl tickled Avery along his ribs. “I don’t know... I can think of all sorts of way I could thank you for being the perfect father.”

“I’m not ready for this.” The tone of his voice was void of amusement.”

“Ready for what? For me to ravish you for days on end? After all the years you’ve kept me waiting...” You’ve made me wait a hundred years and yet I would want a hundred more if needs be.

“I’m not ready to use these children as guinea-pigs. I won’t poke-prod the children’s happiness away. I just won’t. If any testing is to be done it’s going to be saved for me.”

Sven took a pause from the table he was polishing. “I don’t mind a good poke and prod, even the bad sort if it is for a good cause.”

Jack didn’t share his cousin’s enthusiasm “I don’t... I only like the good kind. Of course... for the right price I might.”

“And what price might that be?” Karl grinned wickedly at Jack.

“Not one you can pay. Avery... My offer still stands.”

Avery laughed. “Offer? It was more of a demand.”

“Are you going to make me and Puppy beg?” On cue the wolf pup stood on its hind legs and whimpered.

Sven chuckled. “Come on Ave... How can you say no to such cute critters?”

“How old are you Jack?”

Jack smirked “A lot older than you think.”

“Then you’re too old for me.”

“Oh poo... just you wait Ave... one night when you least expect it.... POUNCE! And you’ll be mine forever and ever.”

“I think that’s already the case Jack.”

“Then why won't you...” Jack was frustrated. Sven always suggested that he take their relationship for what it was... a dear close friendship that would never turn romantic. That was one bit of advice Jack would not take to heart. “Tease me all you want. One way or another I will have you.”

“Don't worry about him... he's all bark and no bite,” Sven reassuringly told Avery.

As they left the kitchen they were stopped by Karl. “It's about time for me to show you what you'll have to work with. Don't you think Avery?”

“Might as well. You two want to come along?”

“Sure...” Sven elbowed a nod from his cousin. “We'll come.” Whatever Karl had in mind they would not let Avery face it alone.

 

                                                      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Forty-Two: The Chair

 

 

 

Following Karl to the underground levels of the Eye they reached a titanium plated vault. The door was twenty yards across, ten high, and five yards thick.

Avery let out a high pitched whistle. “That's one big door.”

“Yeah... whatcha keeping down there? Gold, jewels, Centur...” Getting elbowed again by his cousin Jack quickly shut up.

Sven didn't look away from Jack as he said; “Whatever is in there can't be good.”

“Good or bad it holds our future,” Karl said obtusely.

Avery didn't like the sound of that. “Knowing you it would be best to shut this place down and forget it was even here.”

“Don't you want to know the secrets of our past? It is your birthright.”

“No, I really don't. But I don't have that choice, now do I?”

Karl waved them into the circular vault. At its center was a twenty-five yard diameter shaft. Hovering above it without any visible supports was a wide rimmed conical platform.

Jack was the first to comment. “What's holding it up there?”

“Gravity... or I should say anti-gravity.” Karl explained.

Avery scoffed at the notion that such technology existed.

“But it is. We do not know who build the Ark or its technology. Still what little we've learned points to the use of positive and negative gravity fields through the generation of dark energy.”

“My specialty is biology, not physics so I guess I will have to take your word for it. But how did it get here and who built this... Ark.”

“We did, or I should say or ancestors. From the information we were able to extract from Dr. Walker and the others we are the genetic decedents of the Ark builders.”

Jack cringed away from the shaft. “I don’t like this place… too Nanoish.”

“We prefer to call it Neo Tech and us Neo Sapiens. The Symbionts are the ones we refer to as Nanos. That seems to be how our ancient ancestors saw it.”

“I take it they didn't see the Nanos as friends.”

“They were our people's greatest enemy.”

Sven seemed to share his cousin's apprehension “They won I take it?”

“They won.” Karl agreed. He then added; “But not completely.” They need hosts in order to survive. While they find Homo Sapiens easier to control a human host’s biology is imperfect to their needs. A Symbiont and its human host have a fraction of the lifespan as they have with Neo Sapiens.

 

“Ours as in me included?” Avery asked.

“I do not know. You are something different. You are definitely a Neo Sapiens but without our physiology.”

“Then how do you know I am one.”

“I have proof. Come and I will show you.”

Taking Karl's hand Avery stepped onto the floating platform. Unlike what he expected it was as firm as solid earth. After the cousins had joined them a rail circling the outer edge of the elevator hovered into place.

Karl looked at Avery and squeezed his hand. “Now you're in for a surprise.” The platform fell like a ten ton weight dropped from the top of the Empire State Building. Heading straight down at ever increasing speeds everyone but Karl grabbed the railing for dear life.

Jack screamed; “SHIT!” while Karl laughed. Slowly it began to dawn of them that though they falling at an incredible speed they didn't feel the dropping sensation of the ground disappear beneath them or the slightest touch of wind. In fact, beside what they saw, there was no sensation of them moving at all.

Avery continued to cling to the railing. “What the hell is this?”

“The wonder of artificial gravity at work. All of you can let go of the rail. There is no chance of falling off.” To prove his point he took out a pocket watch and threw it over the edge of the platform only for it to bounce back into his waiting hand. “See? Can't fall off.”

Avery was less than amused. “If you don't wipe that satisfied know-it-all grin off your face I'm going to hurt you.”

Karl eased his way over to Avery. “Come on now you can't punch my teeth out if you don't let go of the rail.” He gently pried Avery's fingers free. Much as Karl expected Avery grabbed the next convenient thing to hold on to, which was him.

“You're really getting your kicks out of this, aren't you?” Avery accused.

“If it gets you to hold me this tightly... more power to me.”

Self-consciously Avery willed his arms back to his side.

The elevator came to a slow stop. “There, see, nothing to fear.”

“You tell that to Puppy!” Neither of them could tell if Jack's trembling was out of fear or rage. They did see the yellow puddle at his feet.

Karl laughed again. “Is that you or Puppy?”

“It's Puppy damn't. Not that you care. You scared him to death, you, you Puppy hating monster.”

Avery gave Karl a 'don't you dare laugh' glare before going to Jack. “Where's Puppy?” He asked when he couldn't see the wolf.

“Up my trouser's that's what.”

See the wet streak led up to Jack's left knee Avery could not help but laugh. “Teach you to wear baggy pants.”

“It's not funny, Damn it.”

The wolf was too far up for Avery to reach. “Drop em.”

“Not if he's going to watch.” Jack pointed an accusing finger at his tormentor.

“Karl?”

“Oh come on. Can't you see he's coming on to you?” Karl protested.

“Karl.” Avery said in a tone that warned Karl not to press his luck.

“Fine... I'll wait for you in the next room.” Karl leve the elevator shaft.

“I can take care of this,” Sven offered.

Jack insisted he leave. “No... he stays you go.”

“Okay they're both gone. Want to tell me what this is all about?” Avery asked when they were alone.

Jack's checked to see if they were really alone. “I think I pooped myself.”

“If you did I can't smell it.”

“I can feel it.”

“Well the only way to know for sure is you to drop em.”

“Swear you won't tell anyone.”

“No problem.”

Slowly Jack lowered his pants followed by his shorts. What Avery saw took him completely by surprise. “Puppy indeed. Has this happened before?”

“Only when I’m really scared.”

“I see... any suggestions?”

“I can hide it until it goes away. But that might take weeks.”

“Well, I guess I won't have to worry about you ambushing me in the showers.”

“NOT funny, not funny at all. Promise me you won't tell.”

“I already have.” Searching the jeans he pulled out a wet, terrified Puppy and handed him over to Jack. “I think you need to have a good chat with this critter of yours.”

”Believe me I WILL. Bad Puppy, very, very bad.” Covering its face with its tiny paws the wolf began to whimper. “Oh don't you start with that. You know better than to bite people. You'll get no ice cream from me anytime soon.”

Avery frowned. When he had gotten a puppy for Daniel he would only let it eat dog food “Ice cream?”

“Peanut butter is his favorite.” Jack's anger melted to amusement. “Oh all right Puppy, I'm not that mad at you. You have to stop biting even if it's me. So no more biting. Git me, no biting.”

Avery didn't know what biting had to do with Jack particular situation. That was probably for the best. Whatever it was it would leave him more confused than he already was.

When they joined the others Sven looked deeply concerned while Karl was clearly annoyed. “Have you two finished having fun?”

“Regardless of what you believe, the world doesn't revolve around sex.”

“Not yet but it will,” Karl laughed.

“Not if I can help it. So where are we?” Avery asked.

“We're about three miles underground.”

“Three miles... doesn't feel like it.”

“You mean the lack of heat?” Karl when to a nearby wall and knocked. “Heat proof ceramics.... Is unbreakable but has amazing tensile strength. Flexible enough to survive nearly any earthquake. You might say this is the safest place on the planet.”

“Which means it is probably the most dangerous.” Avery knew his friend all too well.

“That depends on what you mean by dangerous.”

“Symbionts.”

“No. There were quite a few here once, thousands in fact. When our friends and I dealt with Lordon and his fellows one of the first things was to have the batch incinerated.”

“But...”

He couldn't hide the truth from Avery. The years had left him skeptical. “Some escape our purge of Big Rock, some of whom stole a few dozen Symbionts before we took control of the Ark.”

“No more pretty shades of BS. How many are out there.”

“Who knows... could be dozens maybe a few hundred.

“Thousands?”

“Depends on how fast they've been at finding new hosts to breed with.”

“So as far as you know there could be over a million.”

“I think that's a little unrealistic.”

“As unrealistic as your assumption they won't try to regain control of their base?”

“I'm counting that they will. Let me show you why I brought you here.”

“Lead the way.”

If they thought the security at the top was impregnable what followed was terrifyingly strong. Dozens of blast doors, automated gun emplacements, airlocks filled with deadly levels of heat, cold, and caustic gases. In all it took them over an hour to reach their destination, the heart of the Ark, a chamber labeled Domus.

“Domus... that's Latin for home, isn't it?” Avery asked.

Karl nodded. “Pretty much.”

“Explain this then... if we are as you said a new race of humans why is there Latin writing in it?”

“Good question. To be honest I don't have an answer to that. I can only theorize that there is an Ark similar to this one somewhere in the Mediterranean which acted as the seed of Greek and Roman civilizations.

Except for a raise chair in the center the room was empty. The chair, made of polished titanium looked much like the sort one would find in at the dentist's. “I take it you want me to sit there?” Avery asked apprehensively.

“If you could.” Karl attempt to appear casual was foiled by the tension in his eyes.

Sven placed a hand on Avery's shoulder. “Don't do it.”

Avery ignored Sven’s warnings and Jack's protests. The chair had mesmerized him. It beckoned to sit on its metal frame. Seated he slipped his finger through a pair of knuckle grips. Not much later the lights in the room dimmed until only a spotlight aimed on the chair remained. Slowly the chair became as fluid as quick silver and molded itself around Avery.

In a panic Jack and Sven leaped towards the dais to be flung back by the invisible gravity barrier that had formed around the chair. Sven charged at Karl and put him in a choke hold. “Why?”

Karl was caught completely off guard. Not just by the young man's hold but more so the sun golden orbs glowing from his eyes. “Wha... what are you?”

With superhuman strength he single handedly threw Karl against the shield barrier. “Pray you never find out.” Going to his cousin he embraced him with one arm.

“What's happening?” Jack never looked as helpless as he did at that moment.

“It's the First Awakening... Forgive us grandfather but your nightmare is becoming a reality.”

“He’s going to remember isn’t he?” Jack asked in a quivering voice. “I don’t want him to remember. Not the bad stuff at least.”

“None of us do.” Sven continued to glare at Karl.

Encased in living metal all Avery could do was stand witness to what the chair showed him and remember everything he had forgotten. He remembered the Maze, Everett, the cousins and Clive. That Lanyon was not the real Lanyon. He even remembered the secret hidden inside him.

Soon the past moved forward to the present. The Symbionts did indeed want their Ark back. In a matter of days they would come for it and would kill everyone unless he acted. From the present he saw into the future. He saw the fall of the Tosian Ark on Earth, wars unending, famines unceasing, the Nano Plague unrelenting, An entire world forever transformed into a twisted new reality. Scarier than the visions was his knowing it would all come to pass. Oh there were options, forks on the road which could offer some hope of salvation... but the cost, the great incredible cost to him and those dear to him would make the suffering of the coming future a mere inconvenience.

It all starts with a choice, a choice only he could make. Avery knew what he had to do. Not for his sake. Definitely not his own sake or those dear to him and not for his son. If he were to make the necessary choice, for none could be called right, he would doom himself, his son, and all those who would come after him to a life of suffering, broken hearts, and betrayal. All that, only to be doomed to having to make the same choice he had to make.

If a single one of those who would follow after him chose not to carry the family's burden then all that had been sacrificed would end up resulting in nothing more than pointless suffering. Could he accept that risk? Could Avery demand Daniel and his son suffer as he would suffer on the tiniest of chance that it would lead to a better son future? Was it worth his life? Was it worth the lives of his family? In the end would it make any difference? Sacrificing himself wouldn't save any lives. It wouldn't prevent the nightmare that was to come. The only direct effect it would have was preserving the chance for humanity to make the same choice in a nightmarish world. That's what it came down to a choice and the preserving of the right to make new choices.

The last vision was that of a ghostly woman dressed in white. “Have you made your choice?”

“I have.”

“Are you sure you will be able to stand by your decision no matter the cost?”

“I will.”

“Will they?”

“I have no choice but to believe they will.”

“Then the choice is made... may the people of Terra and Ares live or die by it.” As the woman's voice faded the visions Avery had been enduring were replaced by pitch darkness.

 

Chapter Forty-Three: The Foretelling

 

When he started to come to, he heard the sound of crying and the feel of warm fresh tears on his lap. Opening his eyes he saw Jack was sobbing at his knees. Sven too looked upset but was doing his best to hold back his tears.

The only one who didn't look upset but should be was Karl. “Well Ave... want to tell me what happened?”

“You don't want to know.” Avery replied. He let his finger run through Jack’s silky hair and let out a deep sigh.

“But I do. Hell, I want to know everything,” Karl insisted.

Standing back up Jack turned and shoved Karl to the ground. “No you don't.”

“I see. You two must know what he saw. Care to fill me in?”

“I think you should leave.” Avery was furious. He felt used. Had Karl brought him here only so he could use the chair? At least he had the cousins… or as he now remembered cousins. He had to talk to them but he couldn’t with Karl around. “Leave. I have a lot to discuss with them.”

Karl knew he had crossed the line. “Fine, fine fine... I'll leave. But don't think I'll let you keep what you saw secret.”

After Karl had left the cousins placed a hand on Avery's forehead and whispered a silent prayer to their grandfather asking the God Emperor his Scion. Sven was the first to speak. “We're sorry Ave... we never thought you would remember.”

“Didn't you? If I hadn’t then we would all soon be dead.”

Jack jumped into Avery lap and clung to him. “Just not you,” he wept. “Grandfather warned us one of us would be cursed with the Foretelling.”

“But it had to be somebody. Better me than one of you.”

“Better none of us. You saw it? Didn't you? The chair showed you the Doom.”

“Is that what it's called? I saw it. Saw all of it.”

Sven wiped his nose with his shirt. “You're going to be stupid about it aren't you?”

“It's the only thing I can do. The people...”

“Are selfish mother fuckers.” Sven spat. “Do you think they'll ever look back and appreciate the sacrifice you’re about to make. No they won't. They'll hate you. They'll remember you were the one who started it all.”

“If that is how I am to be remembered, so be it. Do you think I want this? Most certainly not for the sake of obtaining fame or glory. She called it a choice but she lied. It never was. She knew I would one day sit in the Chair. I do not doubt she knew the man I would become before I was born.”

“Then defy her. Don't let her win. If not for yourself then for us... for our grandfather.”

“This grandfather of yours... who was he?”

“Grandfather is grandfather or as our fathers called him papa. It was his dreams, his foretelling of the future the chair showed you.

“Have you seen it too?”

“No, grandfather hoped no one would see the horrors in his nightmares, especially his family. Only the last of his line, the Last Scion was meant to see it. I guess that means you’re family.”

Hoping to break the serious mood Avery joked; “And you wanted to sleep with me?” He gave Jack a sly wink.

“You might be family but that’s like saying Adam and Eve make us family. You’re too distant a relative to make it wrong.” If Avery knew full history of the Argot family he would have to agree Jack’s logic was hard to dispute. Still Avery might be able to use it to delay Jack’s promised pouncing.

“What now?” Sven asked.

“I do what I was born to do.”

“And that is?” Jack asked.

“To stop the Doom.”

“Is there any way we can help?” Sven asked.

“Yes…” Avery spent the next two hours explaining what he needed from them. If they could they wouldn’t take part but they knew Avery’s plan was the right, yet terrible, action.

Over the next three week Avery spent as much time as possible with his son. After their two year separation the pair enjoyed every moment. Daniel however was not blind to his father’s sad eyes and often caught him crying at random moments. When he asked if he had done something wrong Avery would laugh and spin him around like a top. Over the years Daniel would remember those days as some of the best moments of his life.

During it all Jack and Sven worked in the shadows following Avery’s instructions to the letter. Karl distrust of the pair had him order the pair to be spied on. It gained little new information from it. Anyway Karl had more serious matters to deal with.

Reports were coming in that large numbers of Nano infected were gathering near Anchorage. The cover story was they were there for a global science convention on the topic of medical nano research. There were also sightings around Big Rock, Denali Nation Park, and even on cruise ships. It was quickly becoming apparent that the Nanos were preparing to regain control of the Ark.

“You can’t stay here.” Avery shouted during another one of his fights with Karl that had become all too common of late.

“And neither can you.”

“As you will often point out the Nanos can’t touch me. Those who do burn to cinders.”

“The Symbionts can’t but their hosts can. A well aimed bullet will kill faster than those brain eating parasites.”

“You told me you wanted a cure… a way to rid our people of Symbiont control.”

“I do not see how committing suicide will achieve that.”

“The Chair… it’s a weapon.”

“Please… enlighten me.”

“When used by the proper person the Chair can be used as a psychic magnifier. As you know Symbionts control their host through telepathy. If they get close enough then I can use the Chair to break the symbiontic connection. Without their connection to their hosts the Symbiotes will die.

“How many can you kill?”

“Since the Symbionts are connected to each other the same way it is possible the Chair’s psychic attack will cascade to ever Symbiont within range.”

“What’s the range?”

“The larger the cascade the larger the affected area.

”I still don’t understand why it has to be you?”

“Let me ask you this. Who else has been able to get the chair to work?”

Karl ran a hand through his dark hair. “You’re the only one.”

“You’ve been searching for someone who could use the Chair. You always knew I was that person. ”

“That doesn’t mean you should send me away.”

“I can think of no good reason for you to stay while I can list thousands for why you must go.”

“This is insane. I won’t risk your life to kill a few worms.”

“Not a few but thousands. Maybe all of them. We discussed this before. At the rate the parasites are spreading it won’t be long before their numbers make them too powerful to stop. I’ve made my decision.”

“But…”

“If you won’t do as I asked then I will find someone who will.”

“If you don’t care what I think at least think about your son.” Karl replied. He knew if there was one way to convince Avery to leave with him it had to be by using Daniel.

“Will you have your son and mine grow up in a world dominated by Symbionts? I won’t.”

“But Ave…”

“It has been your dream to watch our children be raise as a family. Do not take that away from them by throwing your life away,” Avery insisted.

“But you were supposed to be part of it. No, I won’t let you do this. I would rather watch the world burn then lose you.”

“No you don’t. You showed me the defenses. From the Chair I can control them better than your men can. You think I will die. You’re wrong. I’ll see my son again. Not even death can stop that.”

“Will I? He asked. “No… you know I won’t.” Karl said.

“You never know. You just might.” Avery whispered. His voice was so weak that his promise wouldn’t convince even a naïve fool.

On cue Sven struck Karl from behind with a fire extinguisher. “Dang I didn’t think you two would ever shut up.”

“Is everything prepared?” Avery asked.

“Are you sure you want to go through with this?” Jack asked.

“Sven, when you finish with the extraction see that Karl makes it out.”

Sven might have agreed to help Avery that didn’t mean he thought what Avery was doing made sense. “Are you sure Ave? There has to be…”

“A better way? No. Not for Daniel. I won’t let him becoming a host for the Symbionts. Not if I can prevent it. Too much will depend on him as is.”

Jack looked even less pleased than his cousin. “At least you’re not stupid enough to do this by yourself.”

“I would if I could. The truth is there must be a witness. Someone must survive to one day tell my son the truth. Also, if I fail then one of you can take the Chair in my place.”

“Admit it Ave. You know you can’t get rid of us. We’re family.” Reaching into a pocket he pulled out a fluffy black wolf pup. “Look what I got for you.”

“What to tell me where you got that?”

Sven shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Don’t ask. He’s always giving puppies away. I’ve been with him for years and I still don’t know where he finds them. Out of a magic hat for all I know.”

“How about hold him for my son.”

“Her…” Jack showed them the wolf’s underbelly. “See?”

“Okay, her. Keep her safe for me while I’m away.”

“Away?” Jack burst into tears. “Oh Ave… you know I hate goodbyes.”

Avery thought about his son. “So do I.” While he rocked Jack in his arms he turned to Sven. “Bring Daniel.”

“Of course Ave.”

Come on Jack… we can’t be crying in front of Daniel.”

“I know but you know I will anyway.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Forty-Four: Terrible Goodbyes

 

A few minutes later Sven returned with Avery son. “Here’s your father.”

“Daddy!” Daniel charged at his father.

Letting go of Jack, Avery picked his son up and spun him around. “How-ya doing squirt.”

“Doing great! Andrew and I just finished building our castle. Want to see it?”

“I would love to.” Taking hold of his son’s hand he was led to the courtyard. The moment he saw it he recognized it. “That is quite impression.” It was not a castle but an entire city. Centered around two giant towers the circular city took up most of the courtyard. “It’s perfect.”

“No its not… It should be all black but we didn’t have the blocks.”

“Does it have a name?” Avery was certain he knew the answer but needed to make sure.

“Obsidia… like it?”

So his suspicions were true. His son had the Foretelling. “I love the name.”

“One day I’m going to take you there and we’ll all be happy.”

“I can’t wait.” Tears were rolling down Avery’s cheeks. Of sadness or joy he didn’t know. He now knew he wouldn’t fail and his son would survive to do great things. Whether he would survive to see Obsidia himself he could not say. But if Obsidia would one day be real then maybe so was the chance the two would be reunited. “Are you ready for your trip?”

“I would rather stay here with you.”

“Don’t you miss your mother?”

“I do but I’ll miss you more.”

“And I’ll miss you too.”

“More than mom?”

Avery couldn’t help but laugh at that last comment. “I am sure she misses you more than she’ll ever miss me. She’s probably worried sick about you.”

Though quite young, Daniel could read the sadness in his father's eyes. “I worry even more about you.”

“I appreciated that. Now come on. If you don’t hurry you’ll be left behind.”

Daniel knew something was terribly wrong. Clinging to his father’ leg he whispered “Daddy I love you.”

“And I love you… forever and ever. Now go. The sooner you come back the sooner I can make you pancakes.”

“I love pancakes.”

“More than you love me?”

“No… silly.”

“Come with me and I’ll take you to the car.” Sven knew it was a task beyond Avery’s emotional ability. As he was led away Daniel never took his eyes off his father.

With his son gone, it hit Avery that he would never see Daniel again. Collapsing to his knees Avery wailed in agony. As a cold Alaskan night took hold Jack and Sven led him back inside. The night was spent into total silence. The next day they made their way back into the Ark, taking with them as much food and provisions they might need to last them until the end.

 

 

On the third day since his son left, Avery sensed the Nanos closing in on the Ark. By night several thousands of them would be here. “It’s time.”

“They came sooner than I thought,” Sven said. Since entering the Ark they had spoken in whisperers.

“Ready for me to seal up the place?”

“I am. Jack?”

“We could still leave you know.” Sven felt the need to point out to his cousin.

“Getting cold feet?”

“Naw… just going through our options.”

“For Daniel’s sake this has to be done,” Jack said bravely.

“We’re ready. Lock us in,” Sven told Avery.

Again Avery let the chair encase him in living metal. Connected neurologically to the entire Ark he activated the security protocols.

Up above the walls of the main shaft caved in on itself. Doors made up of all sorts of impregnable material slammed into place. Toxic gasses were vented between them. The Ark’s motion sensitive auto cannons were primed and loaded. Last of all Avery created a gravity barrier around the chair and another around the cousins. After that there was nothing to do but wait.

Because of the shielding the cousins could barely hear Avery when he finally spoke. “They’ve reached the perimeter.”

“How many?” Jack shouted.

“Thousands… maybe tens thousands. There are too many Symbionts for CEMS to keep track of.”

“Can we watch?”

“Sorry. Should have thought of that sooner.”

Out of nowhere a series of holographic projections popped into existence. They showed men jumping out of trucks. All of them were heavily armed. A near dozen military helicopters could be seen circling the Eye as well.

As the Symbionts gathered their men at the edge of the complex the helicopter fired hellcat missiles leaving only the central building untouched.

With the soldiers storming the complex, Avery cursed as they crush his son’s model city under their steel toe boots.

From there it didn’t take them long to reach the vault door blocking to way to the main shaft. They then did something Avery hadn’t expected. The Symbiont worms detached themselves from their hosts. The parasites swarmed on titanium doors and began eating away at it. On the surface thousand more Symbionts abandoned their hosts to attack the vault. It did not take the worms long to eat their way through. While a few Symbionts rejoined with their hosts the vast majority continued on into the main shaft room where they faced the first line of auto cannons. Hundreds died from the barrage of high caliber gunfire but were eventually taken out the grenades thrown by their hosts. The worms had their slaves work on reopening the main shaft. All the while more and more Symbionts poured into the Ark.

“CEMS!” Avery shouted. Appearing in front of the screens was the female holographic avatar of the Ark’s Central Environment Management System AI. “Yes Scion?”

“Give me an ETA to when the Symbionts will reach the Chair.”

“At the present rate it will take 2.57 hours to breach all defenses.”

“You wouldn’t happen to have a self destruct? Sven asked the AI.

“The Ark’s self destruct systems were destroyed on planet fall by Julian Lordon.”

“Why would he destroy it?”

“Before planet fall there was a disagreement among the council on whether to keep Ark technology. The faction led by High Priest Julian wanted to use the technology to recreate Ares civilization. This went directly against the commands of the God Emperor. While most of the Arks were destroyed Julian seized several Arks and removed their self destruct mechanisms. He then hid them across the globe so only his people would know where to find them.”

“How many Arks did he save?”

“14.”

“Give me their locations.” A holographic map of the world popped into view. On it fourteen spots glowed red. “Sven do you think you can remember these locations?”

“I can try. Why?”

“Who knows this sort of knowledge might prove useful one day. CEMS how many Symbionts have entered the Ark?”

“12,543 are active in the Ark.”

“How many dead?”

“Estimated 1,342”

“Now extrapolate those numbers to determine the global population.”

“Estimating… given the apparent ethnic makeup of the host population and lack detection by global intelligence we estimate that 72 percent of the total Symbiont population is present within the Ark with an additional 12 percent outside.

“That leaves 16 percent unaccounted for. Any idea of their likely location?”

“Given what information I have the Indian subcontinent and Western Africa have the highest probability of containing Nano Hive Clusters.”

Avery swiveled the Chair to face his companions. “You hear that you two. If things work out the way we planned that’s where you’ll need to go.”

“Africa and India… sound peachy,” Sven said.

Jack tightened his embrace of his wolf pup. “They don’t eat puppies do they?” Jack asked.

“Who said anything about you bringing your damned dog?” Sven demanded.

“I don’t go anywhere without Puppy.”

“Then I guess you’ll be going nowhere.”

“But…”

“These are not the sort of places you want to bring Puppy to,” Sven insisted.

“I guess but I’ll still take Puppy with me.” Jack replied.

An hour later Daniel asked for an update from CEMS. “Symbiont population has reached 15,639. Symbiont deaths at 2,323. Homo Sapiens casualties at 13,222. ETA until final breech… 43 minutes.”

“Percentage of the population?”

“New estimate stands at 89 percent.”

Jack grinned. “So we’re doing a little better.”

“Not much,” Sven pointed out.

“Each one counts. Remember what I told you about them. They have a Hive mentality. If a Hive’s numbers drop too far the Symbionts can’t organize as a single mind.”

“Then why not figure out how many Hives have been destroyed.” Sven suggested.

Avery turned the question over to the AI “CEMS?”

“Estimating… need more data.”

“What sort of data?” Jack asked.

“Psychic energy.” Avery replied. “Each Hive mind communicates on a separate wavelength. I took a measurement when I first detected them but I never had CEMS analyze the data. To determine how many Hives are left she’ll need a second measurement to compare with.”

“Do you wish to take a second measurement Scion?” CEMS asked.

Avery wasn’t going to tell them how agonizing and damaging the mental probes was physically and mentally. In the end it wouldn’t matter. “Yes.” He increased the thickness of his shield so the others wouldn’t hear his screams.”

Fifteen minutes later CEMS had the necessary data. Avery however remained unconscious.

“Wake up Ave… why won’t he wake up?” Jack was frantic. The whole plan depended on Avery being conscious. Sven demanded CEMS lower the shield but CEMS would only follow the orders of whoever sat in the Chair.

Jack and Sven spent the last remaining moments pounding at the barriers. It wasn’t until the first hole appeared in the final door that something unexpected happened. The Symbionts must have eaten into a power conduit. The fluctuation in power collapsed the shields long enough for Jack to reach Avery. Sven however remained trapped in his bubble.

“Come on Ave… wake up.” As Jack tried to revive Avery Jack wiped the blood from Avery’s face.

Not getting any response he looked to his cousin for help. “Kiss him damn it. Kiss him.” His cousin shouted.

Kiss him? But that would mean giving a part of himself he had never given before. Not that he never thought about it. He just hadn’t found he could trust another that way. He did trust Avery and darn’t he had wanted to pounce on him often enough. But now with the end so close, could he give the essence of his love to a person he’ll quickly lose. As the hole in the vault grew bigger more and more of the parasitical Symbionts began filling the chamber. It was either now or never. For Avery’s sake and that of his son, Jack press his lips against his and shared with him the core of his love.

The effect was instantaneous. Avery jolted into Jacks arms and joined him in the embrace. It was at that moment, when all around them was being laid to ruin that the pair looked into each other’s eyes and knew what the other felt. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“Do what you need to do.” Jack whispered as a separate barrier formed around him.

“CEMS lower the Chair shields on my mark…. Mark.” As his lips whispered the last syllable the gravity barriers around the chair collapsed. The Symbionts struck. Like a wave of death, he was thrown from the chair and drowned under their dark centipede like bodies. Unable to use him as a host they would use him as food.

Avery had lied to Karl. The chair nor he had the ability to psychically attack the worms. If he had told Karl the real weapon was his blood none of the Dozens would have left. A few seconds after they began to feed their black scaly flesh turned albino white. Starting from where Avery fell and as the worms fed off each other more of the creatures where transformed to crystallize white phosphorous.

When enough had been transformed CEMS, following her programming, flooded the Ark with fine mist of water. On contact with water phosphorous ignited into an incinerating flame. In need of escape the fire spread throughout ever part of the Ark. Eventually it erupted like a volcano, throwing up rock and caustic smoke that would create a fifty square mile circle of death.

As for Jack and Sven, they stayed safely shielded from the explosions and toxic gases. While it seemed to last several lifetimes it did not take long for the Ark’s environment systems to create a bubble of breathable space for the pair.

The first thing Jack did once the barriers fell was search for Avery. It didn’t take him long. Just short of the platform were Avery’s blackened skeletal remains.

Soon Sven joined his cousin. “I’m sorry Jack, I really am.”

“He said the same thing though he had no reason to. Neither do you. He was so brave… braver than I’ll ever be. And look…” Gently Jack rolled the corpse on its back. There attached to his spine was a pair of folded wings. “He Awakened. He really did. Just like we said he would.

“Look what else is there.” Hidden between the blackened spine and ribs was a fist size golden pyramid. It was the true Eye. Reaching in between the bones Sven carefully removed freed it from Ave’s remains. It was warm, its soft glow radiating heat like a miniature sun. “He kept his promise. It’s about time we did the same. But first…. CEMS did we kill them all?”

“I can detect only four life forms.”

Jack frowned. “But there’re only two of us. Unless… CEMS do you categorize Avery’s core as a life form.”

“It is a living sentient life form.”

Jack reached into his sweater and pulled out a second sphere. This one was a cool blue. “I guess Karl’s is as well.”

“We need to go.”

“But what about his remains? We can’t leave him like this.”

“We need to leave it for the others to find. If we don’t then Karl will never believe he’s dead. Avery wouldn’t want that to happen.” Sven helped his cousin to his feet. “CEMS, you know where to take us, right?”

“I’ve had the coordinates imputed into my system. You can Gate there are your convenience.”

“Take us… Take us to the Terran Ar

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Forty-Five: Terra

 

Taking Jack’s hand he gave the order. A fraction of a second later the pair found themselves atop a snowy mountain. Ahead of them was a cave. “Well I guess this is the right spot.”

“Are you sure?” Jack asked. His gaze was still aimed at the spot where Avery’s remains had been.

“Yes it is.” From out of the cave the voice of several women beckoned them inside.

“Should we go in?” Jack asked.

“I’ll tell you one thing we should do and that’s getting out of the freaking snow,” Sven told his cousin.

At the cave’s threshold they were slowed by thick invisible curtain. After ten steps the weight disappeared as did the cave entrance. The cave itself was quite warm and not a little bit humid. Along the sides of the tunnel and up the walls were Green tropical ferns, ropes of dark ivy, and a rainbow of multicolored mushrooms as large as a man was tall.

Stepping further down the tunnel they found croaking toads, and giant butterflies, as well as cute fuzzy little things that rolled around like tennis balls to get to where they wanted to go. One such creature Puppy ended up chasing until Jack, ever worried for his wolf called him back. When he did the pup had one of the fuzzy creatures in its mouth.

“Bad Puppy… you don’t know where that thing’s been. It could be poisonous.”

“Do not worry Jack son of Jacob; no harm will befall you or your companions. Ahead of them was the ghostly woman from Avery visions. She was tall and inhumanly slender, with long narrow hands that would seem incapable of medial work. As she approached the pair she did not so much walk as float. “I am, or was Amanda.”

Jack’s jaw fell open. “Amanda? As in THE Amanda? As in grandma?”

“I was once but my time among the Terrrans has taken the right to that title away from me. You have something for me?”

Jack didn’t like the sound of that. He might have been willing to give the core to his grandmother but not one who so easily caste away such a vital role “No.”

Sven elbowed his cousin. “Come on. Give them to her and she’ll let us go.”

“No… this is all I have left of him. If I’m going to give it to her the least she can do is tell me what she plans to use it for.”

“Fair enough Scion of Ares. Where would you like me to start?”

“At the beginning. Who are you and where the hell are we?”

“This is the Terran Ark. Last of the Terran Hives”

“Hive as in Nanos?”

“No, the Symbionts are no more part of our world as you are. I once was like you but was betrayed by those I trusted. Sons were taken from me. I wished revenge but lacked the power of to achieve it. I gave birth to a son. He was to be the sword by which I would avenge his cousins’ murders. He failed in his purpose. But look at what fate has wroth. You come bearing the core of his son. This one will not fail.”

Neither Sven or Jack liked the sound of that. They had heard tales of their grandmother. She had been described as a proud woman determined to raise her children free from the burden of their father’s legacy. She had disappeared soon after the Great Betrayal when many of children had died. She had sworn revenge against the Apostate and the others but until now had been considered dead.

“You’re Avery’s grandmother too?”

“I was.”

“But not now?”

“No… When I abandoned Harry to the Maze I gave up any claim to motherhood. I am now Terran.”

“What are Terrans?”

“Terrans as in the people of Terra, the only people who have any rightful claim to this world. Your people of Ares slaughtered us with your weapons and diseases. Though only this Hive remains we of Terra will make this world ours again.”

“Why would you want to do that? You’re our grandma.”

Not for the first or last time Sven elbowed his cousin in the ribs. “I don’t think she’s going to be baking us any cookies Jack.”

“But...”

“You are of my blood and have no reason to fear me. Nor do the other children of the Double Dozen. While they might be of Ares they are also of Terra. In time they will serve us as well.”

“No… no more killing. Children should play and eat ice cream and stuff like that. Jack insisted.

“Tell me Jack, son of Jacob… when did you get to play and eat ice cream?”

“That’s not the point.”

“But it is. I too wanted by children to live as normal children and for a time they did. Then the Betrayal happened and they were ill prepared to defend themselves. I do not wish to watch another of my blood die because he could not defend himself.”

“But Ave died! You could have saved him but you didn’t.”

“I could not. We of Terra are not yet ready to fight against the Ares pestilence. I have said enough. Give me the Eye

Jack stepped between Amanda and his cousin. “I’m not finished yet. You said you were here first. When was that? Our people reached Earth six thousand years ago.”

. “Shut up stupid. This is Terra.”

“Your cousin is correct. Before the children of Ares reached Terra this world was our paradise. Now after six thousand years of Ares domination has turned much that was good in this world to ruin. Your dear friend had the Foretelling. He knew the price we would make the people of Ares pay for their arrogance. The Eye is but a part of that price.”

“If our people offended you it was out of ignorance not arrogance.” Sven stated.

“Your people’s true motives don’t matter. We will take our world back and return it to its natural state. In the guise of Nano Sapiens our people will be reborn.”

“Nanos? But we defeated the Symbionts, didn’t we?” Jack asked. He had to know if Avery’s sacrifice was pointless.

‘You defeated the Nanos of Ares but not those of Terra. For ours is a more subtle beast than those crude worms.”

“We don’t understand.”

“In time you will. Now hand over the Eye?”

“No, not if you plan to use it against our family.”

“Your father, as with your friend made a pact with us. The last scion would be born of both worlds. The same is true for you Sven Argot. It will be true for all Seven Sons of Ares. Seven Sons of Ares will be reborn of the Seven Sisters of Terra. The perfect weapons to face our shared foe.”

“Shared foe?”

“You have faced the true enemy of both Ares and Terra… the Dominus of Gaia. After all this time they continue to hunt your people. In time all the shards of Ares will reach this world. The Gaians were once the masters of countless worlds and us their slaves. We, the Sisters of Terra will fight the Gaians to our death. Will you, the Scions of Ares, be as brave against the Dominus?”

“I still won’t give you the Eye,” Jack insisted.

“Then you will never see your friend again. His core is the sole means by which he can live again.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Hand over the Eye.”

“Do it Jack. Do it before you make her really angry.”

“Reaching into his sweater Sven pulled out Karl’s blue orb and handed it to his grandmother.”

“Ah, the core of the Scion of Gavin but not the one I asked for. Do as your cousin commanded Jack and give me the core of Brutus.”

“Uncle Brutus? But that’s…” Jack couldn’t believe it. Brutus had died without having children. The line of Brutus was no more.

“Damn it I’ll give it to her myself.” Sven went for the other pocket. Before he could grab the sphere Puppy jumped and bit him. Horror struck Sven flinched. “He bit me. That damn wolf of yours bit me.”

“Serves you right. No one, cousin, sister, grandmother, no one is taking the Eye from me.” Turning around Jack ran back the way he came. He did not get far before the ivy hanging from the cave’s ceiling fell and entangled him. “No, you can’t have him. You can’t.” No amount of struggle or tears could free him from its ropes.

The Hive Mother, knowing her prey had no chance of escaping, took her time to reach him. “Jack, Jack, Jack you are just as mischievous and troublesome as your trickster father. He too fought as you did. Eventually he saw reason. In time so will you.”

“Never… I will never give him up.”

“Never? So certain are you. My Sisters and I have waited over six thousand years for the true Eye. We can wait a little longer.”

‘Never I say… Never.

 

Epilogue

For years Jack guarded his treasure. Even after his frayed sweater could no longer hold it he never let it leave his possession. Sometimes, when he held it close he dreamed Avery was alive and they would go off on adventures again. As the decades past Jack noticed that something about the place was slowly aging him in the opposite direction. After three decades he looked and felt no older then he had when he left the Maze.

While nothing seemed to change inside the Terran refuge great and terrible things were happening to Earth and all mankind. The Tosian planetoid fell right on top of Big Rock Alaska. If Ark of the Eye still existed up to that point it no longer did now. Everything North of the Red River bordering Texas was unable to sustain human life for 14 years. The desperate need for habitual land led to the militarized mass migration of the US, Canada, and most of Europe to the Southern regions of Australia, South America, and a warming Antarctica. Billions died in what became known as the Third World War.

The deep wound to the Earth created by the asteroid awakened something dark and forbidden. From the remains of the meteor the horrors of the Maze crawled out and spread themselves over must of the Earth.

If that wasn’t enough, from Mars a new horror immerged. The god like Phoenix and his Pyro Cult brought devastation and death to the colonies. Mankind would have might have ceased to exist if two things happened. First the long fermented plans of the Seven Sisters reached their fruition. They released their old plague of Nanos on the world. They proved to be a destructive force ten times worse than the original Nanos. While they fought against mankind they saved their true destructive force for the creatures of the Maze.

Second, at mankind’s most desperate moment a miracle occurred. Just as the Phoenix had brought his destruction to Earth from Mars, humanity’s salvation also arrived from the red planet. It came in the form of a new race of men, Neo Sapiens. As fate would have it they were led by the one man Jack longed to speak to. He established an Ark larger than all others and built the Obsidia to serve as the capital of all Neo kind on the now Green and fertile lands of Antarctica. This hero pushed and confined the Terran Nanos to the south of the Himalayas in India and to the central region of Africa. He then turned his attention to the Phoenix and his followers. Unlike the Nanos they were a far more cunning enemy. But even so he pushed them back. The Phoenix had only one card left to play. He gathered his remaining forces in Australia which still numbered in the millions and sent them out towards Obsidia. It was to be the final battle where all was to be decided. There was just one thing the possible savior of mankind had to do before leading his armies one last time.

During that time the decedents of the Double Dozen came one by one to hand their cores over to the Terran Hive.

Most of these events happened without Jack’s notice. “Jack… we have visitors.” Sven had been poking his cousin for a good three minutes before he got a response.

“What do you mean visitors?”

“One of our cousins has arrived.”

“Cousin… one of the last of the Seven Cousins has arrived?”

“What other cousin could it be?”

As had become his habit he never let go of his treasure, even when asleep. With the Scions of Jacob, Odin, Gavin, Ajax, Lanyon, only a Scions of Brutus and Patrick had yet to arrive. Avery had been of that line Brutus. Whoever just arrived had to be one of his decedents. If anyone had a right to Jack’s treasure it was Avery’s kin.

Seeing a group gathered he didn’t have a clue to who it had to be. He didn’t see anyone around his age as the other cousins had been. “Where is he?”

“Jack, is that you? Is it really you?” Pushing his way through the others was a Neo Sapiens in silver and sapphire encrusted armor. He also possessed a pair of gold and silver wings which he wore like a cloak over his shoulders. The sight of those wings reminded Jack of the skeletal ones Avery had.

“Who… who are you?” Jack asked.

“It’s me, Daniel. I never thought I would see you again. I’m all grown up but you’ve seemed to have shrunk.”

“Daniel… Daniel… is it really you.” For the first time in three hundred years Jack let the Eye fall from his hand.

“Hey don’t want to be dropping this.” Before Jack could Daniel picked up the sphere cluster. He then examined it. “Gold cores… only Scions have those. Did one of us die?”

“It’s… Oh Daniel it’s your fathers.” The dam holding back his years of loneliness burst with that confession. Unable to be comforted he wailed as he had when Avery died. When he finally came to he was leaned against Daniel, his face too stained by tears.

“Sven explained to me what really happened. I don’t understand, nor ever will why it was kept a secret from me.”

“Are you mad? Do you hate me?”

“How can I? You stuck by my father to the very end.” Daniel held out his father’s core. “And you’ve kept him safe all this time.”

“It’s yours. You more than me should have it.”

“Maybe, but don’t you want to know what I will do with it?”

“Not give it to those witches I hope.”

“But that is exactly what I must do. You see, everything you ever loved about dad is trapped within this pyramid. I don’t know if you remember but he promised I would see him again. It’s about time he kept that promise.”

“I don’t understand.’

“I’m to have a son. He will be half Ares half Terran, just as you and your cousins are. More than that, they will be born with all that was good in my father. Is that okay with you?”

“Really, you can bring Avery back?”

“Hey I’ll even name him after my father if that will make you happy?”

“Very… you hear that Sven, we’re getting a new cousin!”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, would have happened a lot sooner if you had just given the Sisters the core in the first place.”

“Is that true?” Jack asked Daniel.

“I can’t say but I doubt it. As with your grandfather, one has to be fully Awakened to produce a true Scion. If you ask me, you did the right thing. If you had handed it over it would probably ended up on some shelf gathering dust until I arrived. I’m glad you’ve kept him company all these years.”

“It's more like he’s been keeping me company but I’ll take every compliment I can get,” Jack replied as he eyed Sven. He would never let his cousin forget that Daniel had sided with him.

“As smart mouthed as ever I see. I will tell you one thing I’ll miss about him.”

“And what’s that?”

“His pancakes.” The two burst into uncontrollable laughter.

_________________________________________________________________

“Nine months later they were joined not by one cousin but five. Andrew, ever Daniel’s beloved had come as well. As he was of Gavin’s line the seven were now complete. To him went his father’s blue core. His son was Tyler. A great giant of a man fathered a son named Xander. Another, Patrick’s heir was named Trevor. The last, Ben scion, gave Drake life.

Having come back just in time for his son’s birth Daniel could only spend three days before returning to the war. Though he put on a brave face Jack could see that much of the joy he had shown nine months ago was gone. He didn’t know exactly what happened. Spying on the others who came with Daniel he heard word of another great betrayal, the running out of options, and growing doubt that Daniel go through with his plan. That more than anything panicked Jack. The last time he heard such talk Avery had been planning to sacrifice his life to save his son from the Nanos. He tried to discuss it with Daniel, but the newly proclaimed Dominar of Humanity would laugh at his concerns and tell him not to worry.

Before he left however he introduced the Scions of the Seven Cousins to a man he called Admiral Poseidon. He told the cousins that he was an old friend of the Argots and they could trust him. He explained that for their own safety they had to go into hiding with the Admiral. Daniel reassured them they had nothing to fear but it would make him feel a lot better knowing they were someplace out of the grasp of both the Seven Sisters and the Great Betrayer.

Jack and Sven agreed to leave with Poseidon. They never came to trust the Sisters. Ever since Daniel’s first arrival their demeanor and had grown harsh. Even their appearance was changing becoming less ghostly and more… alien. Better for all concerned for the cousins to move to safer quarters.

As he carried the infant Avery to the waiting flyer, Jack turned to Daniel and whispered. “You won’t forget about me, will you?”

“How can I? Don’t’ worry we’ll see each other again. And I promise when we do it will be as I am now, not as a new born baby.”

“You’re just saying that to get me to leave. Your father tried the same trick with me and I wasn’t’ fooled then and I won’t be fooled now. Tell me if I’m wrong but you’re about to do something stupid aren’t you?”

“What can I say? The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.”

“Then I’m not leaving.”

“Who else would do a better job watching over my son? After protecting my father’s core all these years it would be wrong for you to be separated from him now.”

“But… Damn it. I hate you.”

“You don’t mean that. Keep an eye on Avery, two when you can.”

“I will just you promise to stick around long enough to see Ave all grown up. I won’t be around to save your core like I did with your father.” Seeing he was the last one left he rushed toward the ramp to the Zephyr transport.

As the ramp closed Daniel waved as he shouted; “Don’t worry. And for goodness sakes try to live a little.”

“It wasn’t easy being stuck in that cave for… how long has it been?”

“Around forty years.” Daniel shouted over the sound of the engines.

“That long! You got to be kidding me.”

Before he could get a reply the ramp locked into place. “Wait… I’m not ready. Don’t take off yet.” Be it the roar of the engines drowning out his pleas or the pilot choosing to ignore Jack the plane took off for space without Jack even having the chance to say goodbye.

From Earth the cousins were taken to one of Neptune’s distant moons where a secret colony had been establish. Jack was never told what happened to Daniel. Any attempt at getting an answer from the Admiral fell on deaf ears. He would say: “Don’t worry Jack. I’m sure everything is fine,” and “Daniel can take care of himself,” or “Didn’t Daniel give you a more important job to do than worrying about him.” All together these non-answers didn’t sooth Jack’s fears.

Still the Admiral was right. Taking care of Avery was more than a full time job. At first at least. As soon as he learned to walk Avery would get into all sorts of trouble. It was not that he was a bad kid, he was just too darn curious. If Puppy hadn’t taken the job as an early warning system Avery might have blown himself out an airlock.

If anyone managed to rein Avery’s curiosity in it was the recipient of Andrew’s core, Tyler. As had been the case with his father and grandfather, Ty was infatuated with Avery from the start. And while it had started with him being Avery’s partner in crime, Avery’s gentle kindness and his unwillingness to get Ty in trouble tamed the worse of his adventurous spirit.

Eventually the seven cousins became the best of friends. Sven, having long forgiven Jack for his past stubbornness, was once again was playing the role of the big cousin. Out of all of them however Avery was the most loved. It was a love that was well earned and never taken advantage of. He was team leader, peace maker, sharer of treats, and eventually maker of wonderful pancakes.

As with Jack and Sven, when the children reached a certain age, time seemed to stop. Not that they minded. Sometime many years later the Admiral handed Jack an unusual package. It was about the size of a shoe box and punched through with a half dozen holes.

When he picked up the box, it whelped. The sound was one Jack knew all too well. Taking the box back to the park like play area he sat himself down away from the others. “Well Puppy… do you know what we got here?” Puppy, ever a pup, barked twice.

“I think you’re right. You just got yourself a sister.” With great care, so as not to upset its contents he opened the box. Inside was a tiny blue eyed wolf pup with pure midnight fur. “I don’t believe it.” Daniel remembered. “Avery… I got a present for you.” He made sure to cover the box before Avery and the others arrived.

“Jack, did you said you got a present for me?” Avery asked.

“I most certainly did.”

“And our cousins? Do you have a present for them as well.”

“Well…”

“I know… how about we all share it,” Avery suggested.

“No! I mean, it’s not from me but from your father. It’s meant only for you.”

“Did that box bark?” Ty asked.

Xander, the gentle giant jumped. “I think it moved. Gosh Jack what are you hiding behind your back.”

“I think I know what it is,” Sven had a knowing smirk on his face.

Trevor was getting upset. “That’s not fair. How does he know and I don’t.”

Octavius, the silent one of the group, gently took the box from Jack and handed it to Avery.

“Everyone step back. If it is alive we don’t want to scare it.” Devon, the bossy one, ordered.

Sitting down on the grass with the box, Avery slowly lifted the lid, peaked inside and burst into laughter. A puppy! Father sent me a puppy.”

“Let me see,” Tyler said.

“Oh how cute.” The children oh and awed over the latest member to their group.

“I just hope Ave comes up with a better name than Puppy.” Devon grumbled.

“I knew it was a wolf.” Sven couldn’t help from boasting.

“If you knew what it was why didn’t you tell us?” Trevor demanded.

Devon didn’t buy it. “He’s lying. He’s just saying that to show off.”

“I believe you Sven.” Avery gave him a kiss. “Isn’t that right Jack?”

“I hate to admit it but he’s telling the truth. Sven was with me when I gave her to Ave… I mean Avery’s dad.”

“Her? How do you know it’s a she?” Octavius asked inquisitively.

Taking the pup from Avery Jack showed them her belly. See, she’s a girl.”

Xander moved closer and squinted. “I don’t get it. What are we supposed to see?”

“Nothing… there’s nothing there. That’s what.”

“I still don’t get it.”

“Well Jack has had his own wolf for as long as I can remember so he probably knows better than we do.” Avery took the pup back but not before giving Jack a kiss. Both boys giggled.

“So what are you going to name her?” Xander asked.

Drake bored, left with Octavius.

“I think I’ll name her Pugs.”

“But that’s….” Sven was about to point out something but was stopped when Jack stomped on his foot. “Hey!”

“He can give her whatever name he wants,” Jack scolded.

Tyler pointed out that was exactly the sort of thing Jack would say. “Any name is better than Puppy.”

“Hello.” With a start everyone looked to see who the new comer was. At the entry was a very pale dark haired little boy. “My name is Jase.”

Avery was the first to greet the newcomer. “It’s nice to meet you Jase. I’m Avery but all my friends call; me Ave.”

“Will one day I be able to call you by that name?”

“You can call me Ave right now if you want to.”

“But we just met.”

“Oh he’s one of those sorts.” Sven groaned. “Come on everyone. Let’s give the new kid some time to see how things work around here.

With the arrival of shy Jase and Avery’s rambunctious wolf their family was complete: Jack, Sven, Avery, Devon, Tyler, Trevor, Xander, Octavius, Jase and the wolf pups, Puppy and Pugs. Together they believed anything was possible. They believed their family would always win out no matter the odds.

 

Deep among the shattered remains of Ares was the network of planetoids known as the Domus Constellation. As it had in the ancient past it served as the base of the anti-Persona rebels.

“I can’t believe it… how could I have been so wrong.” Not for the first time did the Demon Tom Green ruminate on the events that had led him to Ares.

When the portal to Big Rock had opened he had dived in only to arrive to find Avery had entered from his end at the same time. While he had been elated to find his father, learning of the time space distortion devastated him. If he ever returned to Earth he would find all those he knew long dead. Such thoughts filled him with despair.

Tobias and the others were not blind to his son’s pain. “So long as the Eye survives you will see Avery again.”

“But will it be the same Ave?”

“Maybe not in memory but since when has what one knows outweigh who one is.”

“I do not know if I want to see him. I yearn to yet I know if I do it will because the Dominus have reached Earth.”

“What if they do? So long as there are those with the will to fight, mankind will never fall to the Gaians. Come son… Harry has called for a war council. It will not be long before our rebellion goes on the offensive.”

“Good, I am tired to sitting on my hands doing nothing.”

“Here’s to sitting on a mountain of dead Personas.”

“Here, here.” Tom cheered. With his spirits lifted he followed his father back to the Hall of the Field Marshals. If it was to be war then it will be to the death with no offer of peace and no surrender. For the sake of all on Earth the Dominus had to be stopped.

 

And this too shall pass…

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..