Jump to content
    Laura S. Fox
  • Author
  • 8,169 Words
  • 2,098 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Friends, Sexcapades, And Love Affairs - 23. A Little Help 

Chapter Twenty-Three - A Little Help

Adrian hadn’t slept a wink all night long, tormented by questions and what-if scenarios. He couldn’t, wouldn’t allow himself regrets, but that was easier said than done. There was one particular thing that came back to haunt him over and over. Edward had said that he had decided on Sunday to call it quits, and yet, the next day, he had hurried to meet Adrian, go out to dinner with him, and later to bed.

That didn’t sound like someone who had made up his mind. It was irksome, and Adrian tossed and turned until he needed to get out of bed. He could always call Edward and ask for explanations, but he had a feeling his calls would be rejected.

Even if they hadn’t, that still didn’t mean that Edward would have the patience and inclination to listen to him. No, things like that needed to be clarified face to face. With that decision in mind, Adrian dressed for work. One last cursory look at himself in the mirror told him that anyone could read on his face what a shitty night he had had.

He pondered for a while. He grabbed his phone, and for long moments, his fingers hovered over the screen. Once in his life, he would have to swallow his pride. After all, all he needed was clarity, and that seemed to lack the most in his corner of the universe at the moment. With the risk of having Adrian Rossi’s image completely compromised, he had to do it.

***

Jared danced around the kitchen, humming a tune he must have heard during the commercial break on the radio, and grabbing the ingredients he needed for making breakfast. Shane had come home late last night, so he hadn’t even had the time to wonder why they needed to have another sleepover so soon after the other from Sunday night. Once Shane had kissed him and pushed him toward the bed, any such questions had drifted from his mind.

Even right now, Jared was in no mood to ask himself those pesky questions. Having such a close friend, a friend he had sex with, was not at all complicated. Actually, his life seemed to have become incredibly easier lately, or better said, from the moment he had met Shane. Everything was straightforward with the guy.

Now, there was a bit of a problem because Jared didn’t know how Shane took his coffee. He stopped his dance and went directly to the bedroom, where he found Shane dressed up and, by the looks of things, ready for a new day.

“Do you need to go back to yours?” Jared asked, a bit disappointed. For some reason, he was looking forward to having breakfast with Shane. He might not be able to pull something like pigs in a blanket for the first meal of the day, but he took pride in being the master of all things omelet-related.

“I think I should,” Shane said and ran one hand over his face. “I need to shave.”

Jared liked Shane like that, but it felt like it wasn’t his place to decide what Shane preferred. The short stubble became him. There was something rough about Shane that Jared liked; at the same time, he was sweet and charming, and that combination had to be Mother Nature’s recipe for making Jared go all mushy over his friend with benefits.

“Ah, okay. Maybe you should bring your stuff,” Jared said as he walked out of the bedroom, with Shane following him. “Wait, I should have some spares for one time use or something,” he added and went directly to the bathroom. He was the guy ready for an apocalypse. Surely, extra shaving supplies had to be somewhere.

“Do you want me to bring my stuff and keep it here?” Shane caught him before he could reach the bathroom.

Jared realized how ridiculous that had to sound. They weren’t living together or anything. “Well, not in particular,” he said, trying to get out of the situation without sounding like a moron.

Shane rubbed his nose against his playfully. Jared inhaled the smell of minty toothpaste when Shane pressed their lips together. Maybe the short stubble was a little bit of a problem, as Jared felt his mouth being slowly ravaged. Shane needed to sort his priorities; didn’t he need to leave? It was unlikely, however, that Jared would protest. Since the last bone in his body was turned to putty by that kiss, there was no conviction of any kind to tell the other off.

Jared broke the kiss. His sanity was at risk, and he needed to set some things straight. “Yeah, you might have to shave,” he said, patting his lips.

“So you don’t like me like this?”

It was a bit weird to be crowded in his own home and pushed against the wall. Also, it was arousing like hell.

Jared shook his head. There was just something about how Shane’s skin smelled, even after showering, that made him light-headed, like walking in a dream, if he inhaled too much. “I think I like you plenty. My ass is my witness,” he said quickly. He tried to straighten up instead of molding his body after Shane’s slow moves. His back was against the wall, and Shane made a cage with his arms, seemingly bent on holding Jared there.

Shane didn’t appear to take the hint. “Oh, do you think it’s wise to mention your ass so early in the morning?”

Jared let out a small, nervous laugh. “Why wouldn’t it be? After all, it’s part of my anatomy.”

“Yes, and you have beautiful anatomy. I recall everything about it in detail.”

Shane was such a teaser. Jared pressed against his chest, and he didn’t need to do it hard to make the other move away. “I was thinking about making breakfast for two.”

“Great. I’d love that.”

“Didn’t you want to go home so that you could shave or something?” Jared reminded him.

“I’m not a big fan of shaving. Breakfast with you, on the other hand --” Shane left the words hanging and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Jared groaned. “Why do you have to be such a joker? Do you ever take a break?”

Shane appeared to ponder for a second. “I don’t see why. And I think I just complimented you. I’d rather have breakfast with you than shave.”

“Well, thanks for considering me above mundane tasks. I bet I can beat taking out the trash. Oh, right,” Jared said, smacking his forehead, “I need to do that, too. I forgot yesterday.”

“You go make breakfast. Let me take out the trash,” Shane offered.

“Really? Okay, thanks, that’s nice of you.”

Jared couldn’t believe Shane wasn’t taken. Well, of course, he was new in town, and the ladyfolk didn’t stand a chance given where Shane’s preferences lay. Therefore, Jared was fortunate to have Shane all to himself, at least for a while. That said, he needed to take advantage of the situation, but not too much. Maybe letting him take out the garbage was not that great a move, but it was too late now to take it back.

He was back in the kitchen when he realized that he still hadn’t found out how Shane liked his coffee. Well, he would ask when Shane was back.

It was undeniably nice to set the table for two. Jared wanted to sing and dance again, but he needed to keep his wits about him; he and Shane were nothing but friends, and that meant that it wasn’t wise to fall into some romantic trap laid by no other but himself.

Shane was back as he placed the plates loaded with food on the table.

“I forgot to ask you about how you like your coffee,” Jared said apologetically. “Or are you a tea person?”

“Coffee, black, is good enough for me,” Shane replied as he took his place.

“Ah, so there’s no room for sugar in your life?” Jared joked as he filled Shane’s cup.

Shane surprised him by catching his hand and bringing it to his lips. He winked at Jared before placing a small kiss on his knuckles. “I think I have plenty of it.”

Jared pulled away his hand. He used the kitchen towel in his hand to swat Shane’s head playfully. “I’m not some missus you need to seduce first thing in the morning, joker.”

“I kiss your ass to seduce you,” Shane replied promptly.

And didn’t he know it. Jared sighed.

“This was just a bit of gratitude,” Shane added.

“Gratitude? What for?”

“All this,” Shane gestured around. “For being such a perfect host. For letting me sleep in your bed. Frankly, I don’t know where you picked it, but that thing is amazing.”

Jared laughed. “Mike likes it, too.”

Shane’s amusement faded a little. “Did you and Mike ever --” He gestured with his hands to illustrate the meaning of the words left unsaid.

Jared placed one hand on his hip and shook his head, offering Shane a look of disapproval. “I think I told you I don’t have the habit of sleeping with my friends. In the sense of having sex, of course.”

Shane’s smile was back in its face-splitting mode. “Just with me.”

“Just with you,” Jared agreed. “How do you like your omelet?”

Shane was already digging in with gusto. “It’s awesome. But I’ll cook breakfast tomorrow, okay?”

Oh, so they would have another sleepover? Jared was about to ask when his phone pinged with an incoming message. He frowned as he checked it.

“Something wrong?” Shane asked.

“It’s just a message from Adrian. He wants to see us tonight. Something about trouble in love?” Jared said the last words hesitantly.

“Trouble in love?” Shane echoed his surprise.

“Yeah. Adrian never talks like that,” Jared said with conviction. “Let me just fire a quick message at him.”

“Go ahead. Ask him what’s wrong,” Shane encouraged him.

Jared typed in fast. Soon, he got a reply. “He says that he and Edward broke up, and he could use a bit of friendly advice.”

Shane seemed as puzzled as Jared felt. “Weren’t they all lovey-dovey Sunday evening?”

Jared raised his shoulders and then let them fall in defeat. “Yeah. I thought that, too. All right, this is a serious type of emergency. When he’s unlucky in love, Adrian really takes it hard.”

Shane placed both hands on the table in front of him and had a determined look on his face. “Anything he needs, let him know that I’ll offer my full support. And my fists.”

Jared grimaced theatrically at that. “Let’s hope that whatever Adrian has in mind doesn’t include us getting physical. It would be bad taste.”

Shane puckered his lips like a naughty child. “Still, if he needs me for that, I’m ready.”

Jared rolled his eyes. “Are you and Adrian like peas in a pod or what? He likes to joke about that, too.”

Shane just shrugged. “Makes one feel he has something to do.”

“I suppose,” Jared agreed. “But Adrian, I think, will need lots of hugs. I don’t know yet what kind of advice we can give him --”

“I have a few ideas,” Shane said promptly.

“And why doesn’t that surprise me,” Jared muttered under his breath. As much as he wanted to deny it, he liked Shane for his can-do attitude. And Mike had turned out all right after taking advice from Shane. Maybe Adrian needed a bit of that no-nonsense approach Shane was starting to become famous for.

***

“I feel so bad for leaving you here,” Ryan said anxiously, as the car stopped.

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry,” Mike said quickly. He scanned their surroundings and then kissed Ryan quickly.

“It went out of my head that you would have to be at work earlier than me,” Ryan said with regret. He kissed Mike back.

Mike kissed him again. “I should have been the one to tell you that, and also set my alarm. It just went out of my head.” He placed one hand on the door, but Ryan stopped him with another kiss. “My Uber should be here in about two minutes.”

“You didn’t even have breakfast,” Ryan said.

“It’s all right. I’ll figure out something.”

“Please text me to tell me you’re okay as soon as you’re at work.”

Ryan worried too much. Mike needed to kiss him again and let him know that everything was all right. This time, Ryan didn’t let go, and their kiss turned longer.

“Oh, damn, we need to stop,” Mike complained.

“I know, I know.” Ryan ran one hand through his hair. “I need to plan things a little better.”

“See you tonight?” Mike asked as he opened the door on his side.

Ryan offered him a goofy smile. “To play video games?”

“I think that can wait,” Mike replied with a confident smile.

Where all that confidence came from, he had no idea. He got out of the car quickly; if he risked another look at Ryan, the chances were that they would kiss again, and he had a feeling that it would be hard to stop.

Good thing his Uber was there. Mike hurried toward it, not without throwing one last look at Ryan and waving at him discreetly. Ryan sent him a wink and a small kiss.

Mike was on the backseat and just telling the driver where to take him when his phone let him know he had a message. “Trouble in love?” he mumbled the words. Who? Adrian?

***

Mike pretended to be all cool and collected as he entered the building and headed toward the server room. Usually, he was as good as invisible to most people, but, right now, he barely kept from shivering like a leaf. He couldn’t risk one look up. His eyes set on the floor, he walked fast. It had to be his imagination, but he felt myriads of eyes on him, scanning him. If he had had a sign on his back spelling that he had slept with the boss the previous night, he wouldn’t have been this nervous.

“Good morning, Mike,” a voice interrupted his thoughts. “Running a little late?”

Mike looked up, feeling his feet turning to stone. It was just the janitor. All around him, the hallway was empty, as always. No one came down to the server room; Mike had played scenarios in his head involving a fire and him being left behind because no one knew about him. “Yeah,” he admitted and let out a small nervous laugh. “Just, um --” He stopped, his mind completely empty.

“Playing video games all night?” the man asked with a small laugh. “My grandson is just like that. Scrawny thing, too. He forgets to eat once he sits in front of that machine.”

Mike let out a sigh. “Yeah, that’s totally me, too.” It was easy to lie when it was the truth. It didn’t matter that he had been kept late by something else, or better said, someone else. That reminded him that he needed to text Ryan and told him he had arrived safely. Murmuring apologies, he hurried to the server room and closed the door behind him. For good measure, he checked it a few times, and only after that, he texted.

At work. Arrived safely. Mike stopped. Was it safe to add anything else? He hesitated. What if someone could peek over Ryan’s shoulders, and a simple text was enough to launch a nuclear disaster? But it felt like he gave Ryan the cold shoulder by sending such a short message. Thank you for everything. There. It didn’t give away anything, and at the same time, it let some of his feelings show.

His phone remained silent for only a minute or so.

Great. I miss you already.

Mike smiled as he read the message. I know.

Teasing me much?

What I meant is that I miss you, too.

This is better.

Mike couldn’t keep in a grin if it killed him. He sat at the computer. What could he say to keep the texts going? Then he remembered that he needed to meet Adrian that evening. How late can we see each other tonight?

Why? Do you have other obligations? (smiley face).

It was a bit funny how Ryan chose to write ‘smiley face’ instead of sending an emoji like everyone else. Actually, I have. My best friend is in some kind of romantic crisis.

Jared? The long-haired cutie from that night?

Mike smiled. Everyone thought that about Jared. He was about to reply when another text followed.

I apologize. I shouldn’t call your friend a cutie. You’re the cutest.

Don’t worry. Everyone thinks Jared is a cutie. But it’s my other best friend who needs to see me tonight. Adrian. Mike pondered for a moment. I’m really sorry about this. If you can’t meet me tonight, it’s okay.

I can. Just send me a message when you’re free. It doesn’t matter how late it is.

Mike felt relieved. I will. His fingers hovered; what could be a good way to finish that conversation? He wasn’t bold enough to send eggplants and other suggestive emojis.

This day already seems so long.

Of course, Ryan could think of something elegant and romantic, while Mike’s head was full of eggplants.

You know what else is long?

Mike scratched his head. What could Ryan mean by that?

His phone pinged again. An eggplant.

Mike burst into laughter. So Ryan’s head was also filled with suggestive emojis. He typed back. My thought exactly.

Is this sexting? I’ve never done it.

Me either. Mike was completely honest.

Unfortunately, I’ll have to go to a meeting soon.

I also need to work. Mike hesitated just a second. I can barely wait to kiss you again.

Easy on the sexting, Micah. I might not be able to control myself. Who knows? I might even knock up our business partners.

Mike winced at the reminder of his small blunder right after he had confessed to Ryan in his office barely twenty-four hours ago. Well, you’re not allowed to do that, he typed promptly.

Are you going to keep me in line?

I’ll do my best.

All right. Then I’ll behave. See you tonight.

Mike decided to reply with a kissing emoji this time.

Counting the hours ... In the meantime, I’ll keep this kiss close to my heart.

Do that. Mike couldn’t believe his audacity. But he wanted Ryan to do that. I can’t believe I’m so lucky to have you.

Stop sexting with me already, Micah.

You’re the one who keeps on sending romantic messages. I can’t help it.

Then I should stop.

No, don’t stop. I mean, until you have to leave.

I’d do this all day long. But my assistant is already eyeing me with annoyance from across the room. See you tonight, my love.

Mike’s heart skipped one small beat at those words. Ryan was a busy man. He needed to be mindful of his time, and stop bothering him with texts throughout the day.

And it was going to be such a long one. Ryan was right.

***

“I hope you don’t mind my bringing Shane along,” Jared said apologetically, as soon as Adrian opened the door and held it for them.

Adrian shrugged. “You two are an item. I expected you would come together.”

To illustrate that, Adrian shared a handshake and a hug with Shane.

Jared had a mind to protest at him and Shane being called an item, but Adrian looked absent-minded and upset, so there was no point in starting an argument about where things between him and Shane stood. He risked an apologetic look at Shane only to be met with a goofy grin. Of course, Shane would find it funny, and there was no surprise there.

The number one priority was a best friend with a broken heart. There was a tension in Adrian’s shoulders as he moved throughout his apartment, gesturing for them to follow him.

“Your place is cool,” Shane said, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

Jared preferred to allow other people to speak, and he wanted Adrian to start talking whenever it felt comfortable for him. Shane was a different type of person, and, right now, Jared was happy things stood like that. Adrian would need his friends, but the addition to their group couldn’t hurt. Somewhat nervously, Jared reminded himself how well Shane had handled Mike’s insecurities before. Not that Adrian had insecurities. A different approach was needed, but he would just have to make things work on the fly.

They took place around the table, except for Adrian. Jared quirked an eyebrow at the sight of the bottle of strong liquor and the glasses. It wasn’t like Adrian to get smashed. He was the kind to think that his body was a temple, so he never overindulged.

Without asking them anything, Adrian filled their glasses. He gazed in the distance, and his lips moved slightly like there was an internal war going on beneath the surface. Jared knew that he had to ask sooner or later --

“What happened, man?” Shane asked, taking the glass offered by Adrian. “You two looked picture perfect two nights ago.”

Great. The cowboy was ready for action. Jared couldn’t be upset, though; tip-toeing around the subject wouldn't help Adrian.

Adrian clasped the back of the chair until his knuckles turned white. His lips set in a straight line. A loud knock announced them that Mike was there, too. With a small murmur of apology, Adrian went to get the door.

“Did I speak out of turn?” Shane whispered in Jared’s ear, taking him by surprise.

“You do your thing,” Jared said with a small wave of the hand. “Frankly, I’m glad you’re here. Adrian looks terrible. And it’s not like him to get drunk.” He gestured at the table.

Adrian came back with Mike.

“Hi, guys.” Mike kissed Jared on both cheeks and offered a solemn hand to Shane only to be pulled into a half hug over Jared’s head.

Mike looked really well; Jared examined him briefly. That confession must have done him a lot of good, but Jared had a feeling that he was missing something. He would ask later. His attention trained back on Adrian, who looked like a god of vengeance and doom, a dark expression etched on his face.

“He broke up with me,” Adrian started abruptly. “Right after I told him that I loved him.”

The air was suddenly sucked out of the room. Jared exchanged a quick look with Mike. His other best friend looked as dumbstruck as him.

“What a dick.” That was Shane, who, apparently, wasn’t aware of the magnitude of the moment. Had Adrian ever said those words to anyone? Jared wasn’t entirely sure he had, not even to Alexander, a long time ago.

“I know, right?” Adrian laughed humorlessly. He took a sip from his glass and slammed it on the table.

That startled Jared and Mike, but Shane appeared completely unfazed. “Is he a coward or an asshole?”

Jared inserted a small nervous chuckle. “Let’s not jump to conclusions and be judgmental. It could be that Edward had a reason --”

Mike tugged his elbow. “We should be on Adrian’s side, right?” he whispered, although everyone else in the room could hear them.

That left Jared with his mouth hanging open. That was true, but he had a feeling that trash-talking Edward wouldn’t help Adrian much.

“Yep. He had a reason. I mean he must have had one,” Adrian replied, and his frown deepened.

“All right,” Jared said, seeing how the other two people at the table remained silent. “What could it be? You’re the one who knows him, Adrian.”

“Beats me,” Adrian said and ran one hand through his hair in evident exasperation. “He told me we were done since Sunday, but then, on Monday, we had dinner and awesome sex.”

“So, it all went downhill once you told him ... that?” Jared swallowed thickly. If Adrian asked for help, it had to be because something mattered more than pride, and that said something. As astonishing as that sounded, Adrian had to be in love with Edward.

Adrian nodded. He paced the room for a few seconds while everyone else watched him like they were sitting in the stands at a tennis match. “I mean, everything was going so damned fine!” He exploded all of a sudden.

This time, Jared was prepared. Adrian needed a way to channel all his anger. But, as a friend, he needed to use his head and common sense. “Adrian, I think he loves you back,” he said calmly. “Sunday, when we were all together, I couldn’t stop thinking that you two looked amazing together.”

“Don’t lie to me, J.” Adrian threw him a loaded look. “I know you mean well --”

Jared put one hand up to stop him. “This isn’t about that. It’s just too shocking that he broke up with you after you confessed. From what you told me before, I thought I would meet a pretentious prick with a load of chips on his shoulders. But that wasn’t the person we met on Sunday. Right, guys?”

“I was surprised, too,” Mike confirmed. “And the way he turned his head and looked at you each time you said something ... I’m behind J on this.”

Adrian turned his attention to Shane. “What do you think?”

Jared couldn’t be hurt over having his and Mike’s opinions being overlooked. Adrian was a mess and probably felt insecure as hell --

“I just want to hear Shane, too,” Adrian said, looking at him as if he had just read his mind. “I heard you, guys. And I appreciate it.”

Jared smiled. “It’s okay, Adrian.”

“Shane is awesome at giving advice,” Mike chimed in.

“So I heard,” Adrian said. “So, Shane, what do you think?”

Shane studied his glass for a while and scratched his head. “Jared and Mike saw what they saw and they’re right.”

That sounded a bit ominous. Jared felt his ears perking up. What could it be that Shane had noticed and they hadn’t?

“Dude’s head over heels,” Shane added.

What was with the moments of suspension? Jared felt his impatience growing. “But … There’s a ‘but’, right?” he hurried Shane.

“He was nervous,” Shane replied in a deadpan voice. “He was tapping his foot.”

“Tapping his foot?” Adrian quirked an eyebrow. “Like he wanted to be out of there?”

“He also glanced at his watch a few times,” Shane added.

“I didn’t know I was …” Jared swallowed the word ‘sleeping’ in the nick of time, “friends with Sherlock Holmes. So, you think Edward didn’t want to be there, with us?”

“I don’t think that. I think he was disoriented about liking being there. And he forgot all about being nervous the moment Adrian touched him or said something. It was like all his worries melted.”

Adrian was staring at Shane like he was from another planet. Jared was no less surprised.

“I think I remember seeing him do that, I mean, looking at his watch,” Mike intervened.

Adrian shook his head. “Well, that’s weird. How come I didn’t notice?”

Shane shrugged. “You were too happy to see that kind of stuff.”

“How come I didn’t notice?” Jared expressed his astonishment.

“You were too taken with Shane,” Mike said promptly.

Jared turned toward him, his eyes wide.

“Damn it.” Adrian slammed the wall, startling them. “What the hell is wrong with him?”

“You could call him and ask for an explanation,” Jared suggested.

Adrian shook his head. He wasn’t looking at either of them, too busy leading his internal war. “He won’t answer.”

“How can you know for sure?” Jared insisted.

“He’s all about control,” Adrian said. “It would be easy for him to reject my calls and shut me down completely.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Shane intervened. “He told you that you were supposed to be done, but he still came to meet you the next day?”

Adrian nodded.

“Hmm.” Shane leaned back in his chair and stretched his legs. Jared stared for a moment at their thighs touching. “This guy wants you, but there’s something else afoot.”

“Like what?” Adrian asked in an irritated voice.

Jared knew Adrian wasn’t annoyed by Shane. Still, he felt a bit of protectiveness pushing him into action. “Shane cannot know. You shouldn’t be upset with him.”

Shane placed one hand on Jared’s knee and squeezed it in an affectionate gesture. “It’s all right. There could be anything, Adrian. Maybe he’s stressed by something else, and the thought of getting in a relationship complicates his life. At least, that’s what he could be thinking.”

Adrian lowered his head in defeat. “He made it quite clear to me that we would be over the moment I started talking about feelings.”

“And?” Shane interjected. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“That maybe I knew this was coming and went for it anyway. What does that make me? Stupid?”

“No way,” Jared protested.

“You’re the smartest guy I know,” Mike added.

“It makes you a guy who knows what he wants,” Shane said.

Adrian perked up at that. He even smiled. “Thanks, guys. Still, what the hell does Edward want?”

“You’ll have to find out,” Shane offered right away.

“But Adrian thinks that Edward won’t take his calls,” Jared pointed out.

“Then he’ll have to meet him in person,” Shane replied.

Adrian nodded. “I was thinking the same thing. I’ll just go and confront him.”

“But not tonight,” Shane said, putting one hand up solemnly.

“Why not?” Adrian looked like he was about to fly out the door.

“Because,” Shane continued in a slightly preachy, but adorable, tone, “you want him to have a bit of time to realize what he’s done. Leave him alone a few days, and when he’s like a cat on hot-tin roof --”

“What’s that even supposed to mean?” Jared expressed his wonder.

Adrian didn’t seem fazed by Shane’s choice of words. “Go on, Shane. You can explain that to J later.”

Jared had a mind to protest to that, but Adrian had his whole attention trained on Shane now.

“What I mean is that if you go after him right now, he might just think he did the right thing. Let him have some doubts about it all. You know, let him get ripe and ready for a picking.”

Jared covered his face with both hands. Shane had a funny way with words, and this wasn’t the time to be funny. It was a serious situation, and Adrian needed serious advice. “And how would you know about this stuff, Sherlock?”

“My momma taught me all about men,” Shane replied good-naturedly. “I used to watch old movies with her.”

For some reason, Shane, as a kid watching romantic movies with his mother, struck a sensitive chord inside Jared. His advice came from the heart, and Jared couldn’t help but agree with him. “I think you should go with what Shane says, Adrian,” he said. “You don’t want to appear desperate. Let Edward think a little of his stupidity.”

“I second that,” Mike said solemnly.

Adrian sighed and finally took place at the table. “I had a feeling I could count on you, guys. I think it will be hard to wait, but I have a feeling I have to.”

Shane raised his glass. “To Adrian and may he be successful in winning over Edward.”

That sounded awfully formal, but again, Jared agreed. Adrian looked a bit calmer than before, so that was a win. Plus, he had a feeling that his initial plan of offering Adrian lots of hugs couldn’t have beaten the one laid out by Shane.

***

“Were you annoyed with me? Earlier?” Shane asked him directly.

“No.” Jared shook his head to make a point. “All right. Maybe I’m a little jealous. You find it so easy to come up with ideas. I envy you.”

They had left Adrian in a much better mood, and Jared felt good about it. Much of that was thanks to Shane and his straightforward manner of treating any problem. Jared stopped; they were in the middle of the street, but he wouldn’t wait until they got home to offer proper apologies for his behavior. Shane had noticed it and was in his rights to be upset about it, although nothing about how he acted betrayed such a thing.

He took Shane’s hand. “I’m sorry, Shane. I really am. I might be a little possessive about my friends, which must be at least a bit weird. I’m the ... mother hen, as they say. Now my little chicks take advice from someone else, and I act jealous. And that’s just dumb. So, I apologize for letting it show.”

Shane examined him for a long moment. His hand was rough and warm, and Jared liked to run his fingers over it. “Mother hen? Does that make me the rooster?”

Jared pouted. “Of course, all you see is another opportunity to laugh at me.”

He made a move to walk, but Shane embraced him from behind forcefully, almost making him stumble. “I’m not laughing at you, babe,” he whispered in Jared’s ear, making him shiver slightly. “All I want is to make you laugh.”

Jared had to make an effort to find his voice. That was too romantic to let it go. “Shane, you know you’re going to make someone very happy one day, don’t you?”

“I know,” Shane whispered again, caressing Jared’s ear with his lips.

There was no trace of boasting in those words. That was Shane. A guy who knew exactly who he was and had no fear of showing it.

***

Mike had to correct at least a dozen typos as he texted Ryan, too excited with the prospect of having his boyfriend over. His head had been in the clouds all day long, and only their get together at Adrian’s had grounded him a little. Silently, he apologized to his friends for feeling so happy; he had been so swept away with the way things had progressed between him and Ryan that he had totally forgotten to tell all about it to J and Adrian. There was plenty of time, and he wanted to surprise everyone by introducing Ryan as his boyfriend to the entire crew. He could bet that Shane would be the least surprised. Jared’s boyfriend had a clarity for seeing things few people Mike knew had.

Ryan replied right away. Let’s try your place tonight.

Mike pondered for a bit. Won’t Bran be lonely if you’re not home?

It’s clear who’s going to be the doting parent of us two.

Parent? Mike stared at the screen. It was possible that Ryan thought of Bran, but there was a hint at something else. Could it be that Ryan wanted ... a family? Like children? Mike wasn’t sure his mind had ever taken him that far.

There was a possibility that he was misinterpreting things, and he was, after all, the one thinking of families, kids, and picket fences. Did Ryan have picket fences? He couldn’t recall.

Was it possible to dream so far into the future? Where would they be five, ten years from now? Mike shook his head. He was getting ahead of himself, and also letting anxiety, his old friend, get the better of him. For now, Ryan had feelings for him. Feelings of love.

You know, the absence of a reply makes me a little nervous.

Mike jumped when his phone pinged. Busy making the house presentable enough for guests. Sorry about that.

It was a little white lie. Filling Ryan’s head with his doubts and what-ifs didn’t sound like a good idea. And he needed to tidy up a little anyway. During such moments, Mike was glad that his home was tiny.

Was the bed going to hold them both? Mike felt doubts creeping in. Maybe they could do it on the floor? But what reason could he invoke for such a silly thing? He could say that he had always wanted to try it.

And don’t worry about Bran. He’s a good kid. Also, I won’t be gone all night.

Mike deflated. So Ryan wouldn’t spend the night. That was good, in a way; his bed wouldn’t have to succumb yet to the challenge of holding them both. Ah, he was just so dumb. He could have just told Ryan that it would be better to go over to his.

I thought that I should let you sleep some. You’re still the same hard worker. I wouldn’t want our relationship to become too taxing for you.

Ryan always thought of everything.

How long can you stay? Mike typed quickly. If their time was limited, he needed to plan. Did he have condoms? He began rummaging through all the drawers. Checked. What about lube? Ah, he had that, too. Good thing he had Jared as a friend who had taught him to be prepared for all eventualities. Now that an eventuality that required the presence of condoms and lube in the house was imminent, Mike was glad he was, indeed, prepared.

A couple of hours. I’m almost out the door. Do you want me to bring some food?

Mike pondered only a second. No. I don’t want to waste time eating.

I appreciate the honesty. But I’ll bring something for you to have for later or tomorrow morning. Is that okay?

Mike’s heart melted a little more. More than okay. You’re a lifesaver.

Just your boyfriend. It comes with the territory.

Mike sat on the sofa with a cushion under his arm. You’re the best boyfriend ever.

I hope so. When it comes to my love life, I don’t like competition.

Hurry. I can’t wait to see you. Ah, don’t hurry that much. Don’t break the speed limit and stuff.

No worries. All I want is to get to you in one piece. After that, I don’t care what happens to me.

Mike smiled. But why the hell they were texting instead of speaking on the phone? Maybe Ryan was already in traffic. But texting was more dangerous. Mike wasn’t entirely sure, but common sense pointed in that direction.

Are you driving?

Not yet. Too busy texting my cute boyfriend.

Mike was sure he would never get tired of hearing that. Or reading that. Okay. Let’s stop texting. Not that it’s not nice to text. I love it. But I want you here already.

Stop tempting me to break the speed limit.

Don’t break the speed limit.

Ay, ay, captain.

Mike grinned at the screen. Ryan, with his romantic and sometimes even goofy texts, was more than what he had imagined when Mike had been busy pining over him. He sighed in contentment. What else did he have to do to welcome his guest?

Oh, damn. Mike hurried toward the shower. Maybe Ryan wouldn’t break the speed limit, but he would surely have the fastest shower in history.

***

Mike grabbed the bag with food from Ryan’s arms, left it on the small table by the door, and grabbed his boyfriend’s hand.

“Hey, hello to you, too,” Ryan joked.

“No time. The clock’s ticking,” Mike replied.

He dragged Ryan to the bedroom and pushed him down on the floor next to the bed on the blankets he placed there so that they could go wild as much as they want without fear of breaking any furniture.

“Like this?” Ryan was amused by Mike’s sudden attack, and not in the least annoyed.

Mike let out a noncommittal grunt as he began to unbutton Ryan’s shirt. After taking a quick shower, he had agonized over how to go about their little rendezvous that he had ended up more worked up than he thought possible. Now, his body was aching for Ryan, and that desire that he had tried to keep in check for the last ten minutes spilled over.

He ran his fingers through Ryan’s chest hair, enjoying its coarseness.

“Wow, am I a sex object?”

Mike could tell Ryan was joking, by how his voice sounded, but he looked up to make sure. He blushed, suddenly mortified by his behavior. His hands withdrew, but Ryan caught them. “If I’m your sex object, then I don’t mind. And it’s nice to see you taking the reins.”

Mike grinned. He must have looked pretty goofy because Ryan began laughing. Before he had time to protest, Ryan pulled him into a kiss. Mike got busy taking them both out of their clothes, which proved a bit more complicated than he thought.

He straddled Ryan quickly and glued their chests together. It was so nice to feel the coarse hair on the other’s body against his bare skin; it was intimate in a way Mike had never thought of before. This wasn’t just lust. He wanted Ryan’s smell all over him until they became one.

All right, so it was about lust, too. Rough hands began to knead his buttocks in earnest, making it clear what would follow soon. Mike pushed himself up only so that he could grab a condom and lube. Faced with a hard cock, he wasted no more time. He held the rubber and the bottle in his hands awkwardly, took one deep breath and descended directly over the current object of his obsession with his mouth. He rested his elbows against Ryan’s thighs and began bobbing his head up and down.

A small laugh followed, and the supplies were seized from his hands. That was better. He could finally adjust his position so that he could take Ryan’s cock deeper and deeper. Like he had seen in movies, he tried to look up, hoping that he didn’t look weird with his mouth full. Ryan’s eyes were fire, deep and dark. Mike let his eyelids drop, taken over by a new wave of desire.

“Get your sexy ass down on my cock, Micah,” Ryan demanded in a breathless whisper. “I want to watch you fucking yourself on my cock.”

A thrill and a shiver coursed through his entire body. Mike wasn’t a fan of the on top position, overly conscious of his body, but if it were after him, no sex position would have been ideal. He would have to deal with Ryan’s burning eyes. Despite all his usual anxieties, he was pretty sure he would survive that trial by fire.

Mike helped Ryan put the condom on, and he got busy preparing himself. He gasped when he straddled his lover again, now the blunt head resting against his behind. Steady hands grabbed his hips to help him.

“You have no idea how beautiful you are right now,” Ryan whispered.

Mike let out a small nervous laugh. Would he ever get used to compliments like that? Hopefully, yes. And, just as hopefully, he would like to hear them again and again.

He finished his descent on Ryan’s cock with a small satisfied sigh. It was already fun. His body was getting used to the treatment, and Mike wanted more of it. Ryan continued to praise him, as he raised one hand to touch Mike’s lips, enticing him to capture the thumb and suck it in.

“You’re so naughty,” Ryan teased him.

Mike began moving his hips. His handsome boyfriend would get it, just how naughty he could be. The tool inside his ass was hard and hot, a clear proof of Ryan’s desire, and assurance that he wasn’t half bad at riding.

“Yes, like this,” Ryan encouraged him, while their bodies met over and over.

Mike let out a small cry when Ryan grabbed his cock and began rubbing it fast. The sudden image of shooting all over Ryan’s chest and sexy abs caused his arousal to rise up a notch again. Mike knew nothing about riding in general, but his hips moved and moved, while his cock enjoyed being gripped by a strong hand. He was fucking himself into Ryan’s cock at one end, and his lover’s hand at the other, and it was a race against his thighs that were starting to burn. Luckily, his entire nervous system was flooded by happiness hormones, and the pain was a faint sensation.

In disbelief, he watched at his own cock erupting, spreading its seed in an impressive ark all over Ryan. His breath erratic, he could barely keep up any rhythm after that, so he wasn’t surprised when Ryan maneuvered him to land on his back and began to pump his ass like a madman.

Mike could feel his ass twitching, still glad about that assault, but incapable of eliciting anything more than a few shivers and gasps from his tired self. Ryan kept up the infernal rhythm for only a couple of minutes, and soon, he pushed a few last times, his cock turning into pulsating steel in Mike’s ass.

They stood embraced like that for a while, Ryan whispering sweet words into his ear, Mike caressing his hair and shoulders, too grateful for words.

“I’m so sorry that you have to go,” Mike murmured.

“Are you going to kick me out already?” Ryan replied, his voice spent, but happy and amused.

“No, there’s still time,” Mike said. “Every minute you promised is mine.”

“We won’t be apart like this long. Will you move in with me once your two weeks are up?”

Mike remained stunned, lost for words.

“Ah, damn.” Ryan rested his forehead against Mike’s. “Too soon?”

Mike threw his arms over Ryan. “No.”

“It’s all right. I can deal with a bit of stepping back.”

“Ryan.” Mike knew that he needed to stop his boyfriend from rambling. “I’ll move in with you. I mean, what I am, crazy to say no? Of course, I would. Sorry about not replying immediately. When I’m happy, I turn speechless.” Ryan pulled back only so that they could look each other in the eyes. Mike offered a small smile. “Wait, were you nervous? About asking me?”

Ryan replied with a strained grin.

Mike could feel his eyes turning into saucers in his head. “No way,” he whispered. “What reason would you have for that? I mean, you’re handsome, and an awesome lover. How could I say no?”

Ryan shrugged and looked away. Mike remained silent for a moment and then burst into laughter.

Ryan frowned and bit his nose playfully.

“Ouch.” Mike tries to escape, but Ryan began to bite his cheek. “Are you a dog?”

“Why did you laugh? Did you laugh at me?” Ryan began to munch on his ear, which was pretty distracting.

“I’m supposed to be the nervous one!”

“Really?”

Mike managed to push Ryan away just a bit. “Really. I’m nervous and awkward, remember?”

“Hmm, right. Just my type.”

Ryan returned to his playful biting that turned into small kisses.

“Are you serious about this, Ryan? Moving together?” He didn’t like the waver in his voice, but there was no helping it.

“Do you want me to leave Bran alone every night?”

“No,” Mike protested. “I will come by your place.”

“Every night?”

“Yeah. I mean, if you’re not busy.”

“And what will you do? Run back here every morning?”

“I’d just take a cab or a Uber.”

“And spend a fortune on that,” Ryan said matter-of-factly.

“Right. Maybe I should get a car.”

“But I want to see you every day, too, not just every night,” Ryan said.

“Then I’ll come straight to you from work.”

“I see. So it will be like you live at my place.”

Mike stopped. He couldn’t argue with that kind of logic. “Soon, I’ll be jobless. It will be like I’m freeloading on you.”

“Hmm, I’m down with that,” Ryan purred into his ear. “Cute freeloaders are my thing.”

“But I’ll find a job,” Mike said with determination.

“I don’t doubt it.”

“And I’ll still have to make some Uber drivers rich.”

“I’ll drive you to work.”

“Ryan, you’re a busy man. You run a company and stuff.”

“I’ll find time for you. I won’t be that kind of busy hus-- I mean, boyfriend, who neglects his cute lover.”

Mike caressed Ryan’s face. Their eyes met. “You’re the best boyfriend, Ryan.”

And someday, the best husband. Oops, his mind was going places again. But it was hard to rein it in with Ryan’s hot body pressed against him, and his sexy voice filling his mind with dreams.

“Will you move in with me, Micah? Once we no longer have to keep it a secret?”

Mike nodded as solemnly as he could, given their position on the hard floor. “I will.”

Ryan kissed him deeply. “Can I ask one more thing?”

Mike nodded enthusiastically.

“Don’t kick me out before I make love to you once more.”

Like he could fathom a sacrilege like that. To make his response clear, Mike wrapped his legs around Ryan and pulled him close.

TBC

Hi guys, thanks a lot for reading! I hope you're still rooting for your faves! There was more of Mike and Ryan in this chapter, and I hope you enjoyed their - let's call them interactions ;)
More will come, and no one will be left out! That's a pinkie promise!
Until next time,

All the best,

Laura.

Please check my Patreon if you want to see what else I write, if you want to support me, or for access to extras I offer to the kind people who choose to donate to help me write these stories.

Copyright © 2020 Laura S. Fox; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 22
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

20 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I dont think ill ever complain about more mike and ryan!

I freaking love shane! Of course i love any cowboy. Yeehaw

So glad you do, Wes ... and there will be so much more of him!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Danno rubio said:

I always look forward to the next chapter and always left wanting more 😉

He-he-he ... thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am so glad to see Mike and Ryan setting up their future. 

I guess Jaded is now in need of a friend intervention so he finally acknowledges what he has with Shane. 

And I do hope that Adrian delivers a killer move on Edward's insecurities. That would be an epic finale... Or Shane putting the nail in the coffin on them over a hard drink and a sober talk. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/19/2021 at 1:35 AM, johnnyboy2285 said:

I am so glad to see Mike and Ryan setting up their future. 

I guess Jaded is now in need of a friend intervention so he finally acknowledges what he has with Shane. 

And I do hope that Adrian delivers a killer move on Edward's insecurities. That would be an epic finale... Or Shane putting the nail in the coffin on them over a hard drink and a sober talk. 

Thank you for your comment! Yes, Jared needs one of those! As for Adrian and his plans ... just wait and see ;)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Aww, our shy carrot top is not running away anymore; he’s even got game...when encouraged 😝 

There is so much to feel good about in this chapter. The redefining and re-bonding of the group continues. Shane is a very patient “friend with benefits” that Jared needs to be more honest to and with; what a charming cowboy with very keen people skills. I suspect there is more to Shane’s history too and somehow it makes me think tragic love loss; he’s too precious for someone to turn away from and too smart to be fooled by shallow hearts.

Adrian has found true love, patience, and a sprinkling of humble. Now we need to see if the advice of friends can be executed with the magical balance of confidence, honesty, and determination to thaw the frozen heart belonging to the object of his affections. Hopefully, Edward will stop denying himself a loving relationship.

@Laura S. Foxyou always make us feel a part of the characters, attached in ways it is impossible to not have hope, to shed a tear, and to witness the life you have given them. Thank you!

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Philippe said:

Aww, our shy carrot top is not running away anymore; he’s even got game...when encouraged 😝 

There is so much to feel good about in this chapter. The redefining and re-bonding of the group continues. Shane is a very patient “friend with benefits” that Jared needs to be more honest to and with; what a charming cowboy with very keen people skills. I suspect there is more to Shane’s history too and somehow it makes me think tragic love loss; he’s too precious for someone to turn away from and too smart to be fooled by shallow hearts.

Adrian has found true love, patience, and a sprinkling of humble. Now we need to see if the advice of friends can be executed with the magical balance of confidence, honesty, and determination to thaw the frozen heart belonging to the object of his affections. Hopefully, Edward will stop denying himself a loving relationship.

@Laura S. Foxyou always make us feel a part of the characters, attached in ways it is impossible to not have hope, to shed a tear, and to witness the life you have given them. Thank you!

 

Hi Philippe, glad to see your comment! Yes, Mike's got game😎

Shane is such a good-natured character, I loved coming up with him. As for why he is the way he is, there is an explanation, only that it may not be as deep as the one you think. You'll tell me what you think when we get there :)

Adrian's execution of the plan ... oh, boy ... you'll see it by the end of this week, and I hope you and the other readers will have a blast with it!

Thank you for being such a considerate, insightful, and all-around awesome reader! All the best!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Laura, I absolutely LOVE this story!!!

Your three main characters just jump out at me. I love them all! I also love Ryan and Shane...Edward, I’m pretty pissed at right now. I think he’s already fallen for Adrian, and that’s why he’s giving him the cold shoulder.

Did I mention that I really LOVE Shane????? lol

Ok, on to the next chapter! :) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/2/2021 at 12:07 AM, Lisa said:

Laura, I absolutely LOVE this story!!!

Your three main characters just jump out at me. I love them all! I also love Ryan and Shane...Edward, I’m pretty pissed at right now. I think he’s already fallen for Adrian, and that’s why he’s giving him the cold shoulder.

Did I mention that I really LOVE Shane????? lol

Ok, on to the next chapter! :) 

Hi Lisa, so glad to hear from you again! You know you're right about Edward ;)

As for Shane... I knew people would love him!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..