Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 3,594 Words
  • 1,843 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are generally fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

A Strange Start to a Friendship - 3. Getting Closer, and Football

The typical warning about homophobic slurs.

Thursday

I went over to Cory's house Tuesday, and he came over here yesterday. We're spending a lot of time together. That's OK for both him and me. Neither of us has any other friends. Cory initially said not too many friends, but since then, he's come clean and said he didn't have any. That made me pretty sad. I mean, it's kind of expected for me. Moving late in the summer, no-one else living close by that I'd found yet. We're both happy we found the other. Well, happy I found him. But he's lived his whole life here. To not have any friends, well, to put it plainly, that sucks. I don't know if I can change that after school starts, but I'm going to at least try to help him fit in. Obviously, I don't care that he's gay, but even ignoring that, he's a pretty good kid. Anyway, he should be here any second. Mom offered to drive us over to the hospital, but not knowing how long we were going to stay, we decided to bike over.

Dad told me where his office is, so we went straight to it after locking up our bikes. He was waiting for us.

"Hello boys. Welcome to my little kingdom."

"Funny dad."

"OK. So, this is Cory?"

"Yes. Hello Mr. Patterson."

"Are you recovered from your flight from the oak tree?"

"Hehe. Yes. I still limp a little but otherwise, I'm good. Thank you."

"You're quite a handsome young man. Beating the girls away with a stick, I bet."

"Um. Yeah, something like that."

"O...K. Well, how about a little tour on our way to the cafeteria?"

"Sounds good," I said.

"Can I ask what you do here, Mr. Patterson? This doesn't seem like a doctor's office."

"No, I'm not a doctor. I'm the site manager. I'm in charge of everything that has to do with the facility itself. IT, electrical, etc., right down to housekeeping and janitorial services."

"I bet that's a lot to worry about in a hospital this size."

"It is. Especially after only a few weeks on the job. But I'm learning everything I need to."

Dad showed us around his 'little kingdom.' The most interesting place was the data center. I've seen pictures of data centers in the computer class at my old school but have never been inside one. Damn, there's a lot of equipment. And a lot of people taking care of it.

"How many people work for you dad? There are a lot here and this is just one piece."

"It is the largest group. There are 55 people in my organization, Roy."

"Cool."

We hit the employee cafeteria. The food wasn't bad, apparently it wasn't your typical bad hospital food place. Unless it's just better for the employees. Roger apparently had a similar thought.

"Do the patients get the same food?"

"By and large, Roger, yes. It's a much larger overall selection for the patients. But it all comes out of the same kitchen essentially. The visitor's cafeteria is on the other side of the kitchen, which is behind the hot food sections. Obviously, things like burgers, fries and the like are cooked at the serving area."

He brought us out to the main entrance, where we parked our bikes. I thanked him for showing us around, as did Cory.

"My pleasure. I wanted you boys to see where I worked, to see some of what I do."

"It was pretty cool. Can I bring David and Daniel by sometime too?"

"Sure, Roger. If you think they'd be interested. I asked about Cory coming because Roy told me he didn't have many friends and Roy wanted them to be friends. You were already attached at the hip to the Crandall boys. But they're welcome. Maybe one day next week."

"Cool. Thanks. Well, see you later."

"Bye boys."

We rode home and Cory prepared to go back to his house.

"Can you come over later, Roy?"

"Sure, what time?"

"Six, seven. Anywhere in there."

"OK, see you later."

After Cory rode away, the next question made me want to deck my brother.

"Is Cory a fruit?"

"What?"

"He seems like he might be a fag, the way he looks at you."

"I don't know. You shouldn't care. And I don't want to hear that word from your mouth ever again, nor fruit used in that context."

"Geez, don't have a cow. I was just wondering."

"Have I asked you if Daniel was gay?"

"No. Why would you?"

"Because he wanted to look at Cory's naked body after I put my t-shirt over him."

"He didn't do that. Why would he?"

"Only one reason I can think of. Ask him if he did. Nah, he'd probably say no anyway."

"Shit. OK, yeah, he is. But you can't let on I told you."

"David too?"

"No. Or at least not that they told me. Daniel told me to see if it would bother me if for some reason anybody mentioned it. I told him I didn't care."

"And I don't care if Cory is. And I don't see how he looks at me any differently than anybody else."

"Whatever. If you don't see it yet, you never will."

Geez, if Roger noticed it, I bet mom and dad have too. Well, mom didn't say anything after he was here yesterday. I guess I'll have to wait until later to see if dad says something. Like Rod Stewart sang, 'Tonight's the Night.'

As usual, dad came home for dinner but was heading back to the office. After I mentioned I was going back over Cary's house later, dad told me not to stay too late, he wanted to talk with me when he got home. I asked if I did something wrong. He said no. But I was still worried.

As I walked up to the door at Cory's, Beth was coming out to go to a friend's house.

"Hi Roy. Did Roger like my picture?"

"He said 'I guess she's OK.' Very noncommittal. Like I said, he's not really into girls yet."

"Is he gay, like you and my brother?"

"He isn't. What makes you say I am?"

"Girls can tell when one person has a crush on another. You and Cory are perfect examples."

"Great. Don't spread it around. I'm going out for the football team, that fact probably wouldn't be appreciated by the other guys."

"I won't say anything. But keep working on Roger. Maybe someday you can show me a picture of him?"

"If he'll let me take one, sure."

"K. Go on in. Mom's in the TV room and Cory's in his room, brooding."

"Why is he brooding?"

"I don't know, you'll have to ask him. See ya!"

"Bye."

I say hi to Mrs. Stone when I walk into the TV room.

"Beth let me in."

"That's fine. Cory's up in his room; go on up. He's been in a little bit of a mood since I got home from work. I'm thinking he's missing his father after spending some time with yours."

"Darn. I might not have invited him if I knew it was going to make him sad."

"Don't worry about it. He has these periods every once in a while. Go on up. He may not hear you; he's been listening to music and singing along. It helps cheer him up."

"Thanks. See you later."

I walk up the steps and I hear Cory singing. I guess it's Cory. Mariah Carey definitely isn't here. I stop outside his door. I don't recognize the song he's singing, but I can tell he's doing a great job. I walk into his room after he finishes, clapping.

"Aaaaaah. Oh, fuck, Roy. You scared the shit out of me."

"Feel free to change your undershorts. I'll try not to stare."

Where the hell did THAT come from?

"Not literally."

"I know. Damn, you're a good singer."

"That's what mom tells me. I don't think I am though."

"You are. What song was that? I don't think I've ever heard it before."

"It's called 'All the Way' by Triumph. It was one of my dad's favorites."

"So, it's kind of an old song?"

"Yeah, early 80's. My grandfather listened to a lot of that music, so my dad did also. I like a lot of that music too."

"Cool. I'm more into rap, hip-hop, and believe it or not, country."

"I'll have to introduce you to more."

"Will you sing something else?"

"Um. I guess so. I listen to the song quietly through my iPhone and sing along. I'll do another of dad's favorites. It's southern rock, so maybe you'll like it, or have even heard it."

He puts a song on. The opening notes are keyboards. It kind of sounds familiar, but I can't place it. I don't know when the lyrics start, so I don't bother asking him what it is. Turns out it's 'Free Bird' by Leonard Skinnered, or something like that. I'm sure I've heard it once or twice, but I'm not real familiar with it, so I just sit and listen. I could listen to him sing all day. Shit, he could sing disco and I'd love listening. I'm dumbstruck when the song ends. I could hear the music and the singer as well. It's an amazing song.

"Great song. You kicked ass singing it. I'm pretty sure I've heard it a couple times but didn't really remember much of it."

"Thanks. It's even older, early 70's. It's actually fifty years old this year."

"Wow, an antique. Are you in the chorus at school?"

"No way. If people already didn't hate me for being gay, singing would make it worse."

"Why? I bet the guys who sang those two songs weren't gay."

"No, I'm sure they weren't. Well, one wasn't, and the other isn't."

"You need to join chorus. You're an awesome singer."

"You're just saying that because you like me."

"No. That's not why. What can I do to convince you to join after school starts?"

He thinks for a short while.

"Um. Join with me?"

"If I do, will you, and stick with it?"

"Yeah."

"Deal. I suck, but if I sing quietly, I won't stand out."

Cory asked if I minded if he sang a few more songs. He was coming out of his depressed mood but needed a few more favorite songs to get him all the way back, no pun intended. He sang four more with me there. I may be biased, but thought he was great with all of them. He seemed a lot happier after he finished. They were 'Friends in Low Places,' 'Wings of a Butterfly,' 'Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through,' and 'Bat Out of Hell.' I think he just turned me into a classic rock fan. After that we played a few video games until I had to head out.

"Dad wanted to talk to me, so I have to be home reasonably early. I'll see you tomorrow. Maybe you'll sing some more for me sometime?"

"You really like my singing?"

"Really. I'm not sure I'll be able to wait until I hear you again."

"OK. I like singing, just not in public. Take it easy."

"Bye."

I give him a quick peck on the cheek. He looked surprised at first, but then he hits me with that room brightening smile of his. I'm not home 20 seconds before dad corrals me.

"Come on into my office, Roy."

"Um. Sure, dad."

"Calm down. I told you you're not in trouble."

We got into his office, and he sat down on the couch he has in there, well, loveseat really. He pointed, so I sat next to him.

"What's up, dad?"

"Just wanted to talk about your new friend."

Oh, fuck.

"OK."

"I was just wondering if you knew he was gay."

"Why does everybody think that? Roger asked the same thing, although not as nicely."

"Two reasons. His reaction when I asked him about girls, and how he kept looking at you. It was fairly obvious he has a crush on you."

"And what if he is?"

"Nothing. Just realize that if you ever do anything with him, you're quite a bit larger, be careful."

"What do you mean, 'do anything?'"

"You look at him the same way. I'm thinking you're just friends now, but I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't turn into something, well, stronger."

"And that wouldn't make you mad?"

"No. Why should it? You're my son and I'll love you no matter what. Well, don't become a serial killer. Other than that, ..."

"Oh, God. I was so afraid you'd blow a fuse. Yes. I'm gay. I mean, I've never done anything with another boy, but I know I'd rather be with a boy than a girl."

"Damn. I owe your mother a ten-spot."

"Huh?"

"We made a bet. She said you'd come out to us soon, before school started. I didn't think you would until around Christmas."

"You knew?"

"Well, we suspected."

"And you never said anything."

"It wasn't our place to say anything. At least not until Cory came into the picture. You like him a lot, don't you?"

"Yeah. Pretty much right from the start. Oh, when I was over there just now, he was in a bit of a bad mood. He likes to sing old songs to break out of it. He's an awesome singer. I convinced him to join chorus. Well, with a condition."

"What condition?"

"That I join with him."

"Will it conflict with football?"

"I don't know, but I hope not. I guess we'll have to call the school and change my elective to music. I wasn't crazy about typing anyway."

We walked into the living room together. Dad was holding a ten dollar bill out to mom.

"You were right, mom. I'm gay."

"And you're OK with us knowing now?"

"Yeah. Dad told me you suspected. I was afraid of saying anything because I thought you'd disown me or something."

"We'd never do that. You should have known that."

"Maybe deep down I did, but I was still afraid to take the risk."

"Well, I hope you and Cory are happy together."

"Um. Yeah. Thanks mom. So far we're still just friends."

"Do you want to bet on how long it will be before that fact changes, dear?"

"No way. Whatever I say, you'll be closer. I don’t want to lose any more tens. OK, well, six o'clock comes early. Goodnight my dear. Goodnight Roy."

He leaned over and kissed mom and gave me a hug. I don't think he's done that in a long time.

Sunday

As has been the habit, Cory and I traded whose house we would hang out at. When he came over on Friday, I told him I came out to my parents, with no negative ramifications. He was so happy for me, it turned into our first real kiss. It only lasted a couple seconds, but it was lip-to-lip. My parents wanted to invite him and his family over for a cook-out on Sunday. Meet the in-laws I think was their motivation. When I asked his mother and sister yesterday, they accepted. Beth was ecstatic over being able to meet Roger. I was thinking about being nice to him and give him a heads up that she was going to pounce on him, but then I remembered the fruit comment, and decided to make him suffer through it without knowing it was coming.

I rushed to the door when the doorbell rang at 2:00.

"Hi. Welcome to Patterson Place."

"Stick with football, Roy. Comedy isn't your thing."

"Sorry, Cory. Anyway, come on in. Everybody's in the living room, watching the Falcons lose again."

I led them in, and they all found seats. We have a full-sized couch, a loveseat, and two recliners. Mom and dad had half the couch, Roger was in one of the recliners. I had to stifle a laugh when Beth ran to the second recliner, next to Roger. Mrs. Stone sat on the couch, leaving the loveseat for Cory and me. I bet that wasn't planned ahead of time. Yeah, right.

"Hi Roger, I'm Beth. I heard we were pretty much the same age."

"Yeah? Cool."

Gee, Roger, can you sound any less excited?

"Are you going to Lakeside?"

"Yep. I'm hoping to get into some classes with my friends, the Crandall's."

"Roy told me you were friends. Maybe we'll all have some classes together."

"Could be."

I tuned them out but saw that the assault continued. Mom and Mrs. Stone went into the kitchen, hinting that Beth should go with them. She wasn't having any of that. She stayed glued to Roger. I took a closer look at him, yeah, I guess he's pretty good-looking. I can understand why Beth would like him right away. Dad added to Roger's misery by asking Cory and me to help him with the grilling. I finally couldn't hold back the laughter as soon as we got outside.

"Oh, man. Beth is hitting on Roger hard. He looks like he'd do just about anything to get away from her."

"Why do you think I asked you two to follow me out? It'll be good for him to interact with a girl, even if nothing comes of it. But yeah. It was pretty funny the way she latched onto him. I bet you knew that was going to happen Roy?"

"Maybe not knew, but it definitely didn't surprise me."

"And you didn't warn him? That's not being a very good big brother."

I couldn't tell if dad was serious or not.

"I thought about warning him. But then I figured it would be a good way to get back at him for asking me if Cory was a fruit, then calling him, well, something else that starts with 'f.'"

"I'm guessing it wasn't fireman."

"Nope. It wasn't flag either, but that's closer."

"I might have to have a talk with him."

"I told him I never wanted to hear him say that again. I think he got the point."

"Still. That's not how we brought you boys up. Were you there when he said that, Cory?"

"No. But Roy told me about it. I'm kind of used to being called names. I try not to let it bother me."

"Well, you shouldn't have to put up with it. Especially not from my son. Roy told me about your father, well, at least the little he knows. I want you to know if you ever need a man to talk to, I'll be here for you."

"Thanks, Mr. Patterson. I'll remember that."

Dad took care of the burgers and chicken. Cory and I alternated rolling the hot dogs and sausages. The grill was large enough to have two people using it. Dad asked the typical questions of a new friend. Did he like school, sports, etc. Cory was mostly quiet until dad asked about baseball. He was real comfortable talking to him after that. After all the food was prepared, we sat around the picnic table. We had a pretty large one, so everybody fit comfortably. Roger said he would sit on one end. He begged me to sit next to him. I figured Beth tortured him enough, so I agreed. I abandoned him a little while after we finished eating, though. I took Cory up to my room. He looked a little surprised when I closed the door.

"Closed door?"

"A: we don't need Roger busting in here. It's locked too. And B: I wanted to ask you something I don't think we need the parents to hear."

"OK. You've piqued my curiosity."

"Well, I mentioned football tryouts and practices start this week."

"Yeah?"

"Well, I won't be around as much anymore. I was wondering if maybe you wanted to hang out at practices, instead of being alone?"

"I... I don't know. They'll wonder why I'm there and think I'm perving on their tight uniforms. Granted I wouldn't mind doing that, especially you, but I think they'd try to chase me away."

"I'm not going to let them. I'll tell them I live near you, we became friends, and you wanted to learn about football. All true. Just not the whole truth."

"But then you'll get picked on because you're my friend."

I stood up and pumped my chest out.

"You really think anyone's going to pick on me?"

"Well, now that you put it that way, no, probably not."

"And when I'm first string running back and linebacker, nobody's going to say squat about us. Even though we'll keep it cool in school."

"OK. That didn't sound like anything we wouldn't want the parents to hear, or even have Roger bust in on."

"No. But this is. Can we kiss a little?"

"Really?"

"I wouldn't have asked otherwise."

Cory was sitting at my desk, but now he moved over to the bed. We started with a few light pecks, but it wasn't long before we were French kissing. I'm not sure how well either of us did for a first time, but I wasn't complaining, and neither was he. We kept that up for about ten minutes, then took a break. We both noticed the bulge in the other's pants, but aside from adjusting ourselves, no contact was made there. We started out slowly, but we definitely started.


Next up - "Practice, School, and a Few Airheads"

Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 32
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sticking with football analogies, Roy and Cory's are both carrying the ball and the scrimmage resulted in a first down, and no flags were thrown.

As for Roger and Beth, backfield in motion and pass interference. 

No one's crossed the goal line ... yet.

🏈 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Y

3 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Sticking with football analogies, Roy and Cory's are both carrying the ball and the scrimmage resulted in a first down, and no flags were thrown.

As for Roger and Beth, backfield in motion and pass interference. 

No one's crossed the goal line ... yet.

🏈

You can also comment about Beth's offensive game plan involving a lot of passes aim at Roger and Roger has to counter with a defensive scheme 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Sticking with football analogies, Roy and Cory's are both carrying the ball and the scrimmage resulted in a first down, and no flags were thrown.

As for Roger and Beth, backfield in motion and pass interference. 

No one's crossed the goal line ... yet.

🏈

I don't know. I'd say this was just the kickoff.

Beth has to be careful of the illegal use of hands penalty as well.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Y

You can also comment about Beth's offensive game plan involving a lot of passes aim at Roger and Roger has to counter with a defensive scheme 

 

Roger will set the local record for dropped passes.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..