Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 8,335 Words
  • 1,941 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lemonade and Kisses Promising Forever - 1. Chapter 1

Prompt 447 – Creative
Tag – The Gift
You haven’t been feeling well lately, but you still try to keep up with your normal routine. You’ve been asked to a party, and although you don’t feel well, you decide to go. The only request is that as a gift you give something homemade. What do you give as your gift?

Lemonade and Kisses Promising Forever

Fridays always felt festive.

Spencer arranged the bunch of colorful zinnias in the vase standing on a table near the front hall. He moved the vase a few more inches, making sure it was in the perfect middle, then stepped back to admire the effect. The splash of color was inviting against the backdrop of white found on the wall at the entrance. He kept meaning to change the color, but he was too busy. His shop needed all his time these days. The times were too dynamic, one needed to be hands on to navigate the tides.

The morning sun bathed the front hall with light. One of the things he loved most about this house. Summertime always made it look so bright. He smiled, and took in a deep breath. This was the first party he was throwing in a year and a half. It had not been easy navigating the times of lockdowns, masks, social distancing, vaccines…fear and uncertainty.

His flower shop had nearly closed for good. He was eternally grateful to his existing website and his social accounts, but that was a story for another day. He had hated the struggle to keep on his two assistants when the shop had to close for weeks, and his savings were near depleted. The fear that he might have to discover what else he could do to earn had nearly crippled him.

Most of all, he had worried for his sister and her family.

Christine worked as a nurse, and her husband, Lawrence, was a doctor in the same hospital. They had one daughter, Janine. She was twelve and had spent a lot of her time home with Spencer. Spencer tried to keep Janine’s daily routines as normal as he could, but there were nights when his niece had cried in his arms. Afraid for her mom and dad, when she understood they were in the most danger as the pandemic continued.

It wasn’t easier now, they were just used to it, Spencer decided.

Twenty twenty-one felt easier. In any case, his shop was back to normal opening hours, and his finances were not in critical care. He could pay rent for the shop again, and his income was enough to sustain his two assistants. At the very least, he was grateful he would not have to let anyone go.

Janine was still spending a lot of time at his house. Her parents were vaccinated but their hours meant Spencer was taking care of Janine more this summer. He didn’t mind being there for Christine and Lawrence. As long as they stayed safe and healthy, he had no reason to complain these days.

The house party this Friday evening was to celebrate the good news that his shop was back on track.

Spencer had invited his two assistants, Anna and David. They would be dropping in after six in the evening.

His house was twenty minutes away from his flower shop. He had bought his house five years ago when he quit his corporate job in New York and returned to the quiet Eastlake Suburb in the Cleveland area. His house was right next to Lake Erie. He loved every inch of it even though he enjoyed some humid summer days and very cold winters, thanks to the lake weather.

Touching a red zinnia, Spencer took in a deep breath and let it out looking forward to an evening spent in a celebratory and thanksgiving mood. Satisfied the zinnias had found a perfect spot; he got his phone from his jeans pocket and dialed his sister.

Christine answered on the second ring. Always ready to answer in case he was calling about Janine.

“Hey Sis,” Spencer greeted with a small smile.

Christine was older than he was by four years. She was turning thirty-eight in November this year. She fell in love with Lawrence when she was in med school and married him in a lavish ceremony at their parents’ home in Mentor. Their parents had been overjoyed, and still were, even though now they worried about Christine’s choice to remain a working nurse.

“Are you still holding the party?” Christine asked.

“Yes,” Spencer said. “It will only be Anna, David, Janine, you and Lawrence, if you can make it.”

“That’s good,” Christine said. “Janine is still angry with me. I’ll come over to try and solve our standoff.”

“She really wanted to go on that trip to Put-In-Bay with Justina and Kate.”

“I’m not a bad mother, Spencer,” Christine said. “If this was two years ago I would have let her go. But, it’s now a year and a half into a pandemic. Things have changed. You understand me, right? Spence, at least say you understand.”

“I get it,” Spencer said, shaking his head. “I know where you’re coming from. Janine is just disappointed. She’ll get over it, Chris, but you should spend time with her so she’s not guessing at your thoughts.”

Christine sighed.

“If this is Janine at twelve, sixteen is going to be a nightmare,” she said.

“Take time off,” Spencer said. “Hang out with her, Chris. She misses her mom.”

Christine kept quiet for a minute, then two, and then she sighed.

“Okay, I hear you,” she said. “I’ll take time off next week. One whole week off, we can afford it, I think.”

“I won’t tell her until you actually do it,” Spencer said, as he entered his kitchen.

“That’s fair,” Christine said. “What is she doing now?”

“Upstairs talking to Mom on her laptop,” Spencer stared at the ingredients on his kitchen island table. “Janine wants to make pecan pie and wants help from her Grandma.”

“My baby is baking. We are definitely making it to this party,” Christine said. “I’ll make sure to drag Law with me.”

“We’ll be here waiting for you,” Spencer said with a chuckle.

“What about you?” Christine asked. “Why haven’t you called Leo over? He’s in our bubble, isn’t he? You made sure they’re all tested and vaccinated before you opened the shop again. Leo even came in to the shop for your product update, and helped to take photos.”

“You know an awful lot about what Leo does for my shop,” Spencer said, moving to the coffee maker. He found a mug in the cupboard above and concentrated on pouring himself a mug.

“Can’t help it,” Christine said. “He passes by the hospital offices. We gossip. He talks about you and Kane’s Plants. Says you’re his favorite client. I think it’s more than that. You two would make a very handsome couple.”

“You keep forgetting. He’s not interested in me that way.”

“You’re wrong,” Christine said, in a singsong voice. “He always asks how you are doing. He called last night and asked what you meant about bringing homemade gifts in the shop’s group chat.”

Spencer frowned. He should not be surprised that Leonardo called Christine. They had known each other longer. Christine had recommended Leonardo when Spencer had been looking for someone to develop his shop’s website and set up his business social accounts.

Leonardo owned a company that handled the hospital’s websites. Christine had thought Leonardo and Spencer would work great together.

Spencer imagined that she was trying to match make again. So, he had tried to avoid calling Leonardo, but necessity had pushed him to it. In the end, Leonardo and his talented staff had created a beautiful website for his flower shop, Kane’s Plants. They had even helped him create an ordering system that allowed him to keep selling when the main shop closed during the unforgettable lockdown.

Spencer was uber grateful to Leonardo, but their relationship remained strictly business.

Leonardo was protective of his personal life. Plus, there was that time before the pandemic started when a cute blonde young man met Leonardo at the shop during a consultation.

Spencer had seen them kissing in the philodendron aisle and hurried off not wanting to interrupt them. Spencer was not proud of how his heart had skipped so violently in that moment. Or how his heart had felt heavy after Leonardo returned to talk to him with a pleased smile. The heavy feeling in his chest had reminded him too much of jealousy.

After that day, Spencer made a conscious effort to keep all his interactions with Leonardo to business.

“Spence?” Christine’s voice pulled him back from that memory. “Are you still there?”

Spencer sipped his black coffee and murmured.

“I’m still here.”

“Call Leo,” Christine said. “Tell him to bring something homemade and that you have wanted to thank him for the website setup for Kane Plants. It’s saved you during the worst of last year. Don’t lock him out of our little bubble. Maybe you two can try being friends. It will be good for you to hang out with someone who is not twelve years old.”

Spence sighed, and closed his eyes.

It was so easy for her to say he should call Leonardo. He knew that call would not be easy for him. Lonely people like him tended to cling to warm, lively souls like Leonardo Shahin.

He could not deny that Leonardo was constantly on his mind. It was hard to forget the exotic looking genius. From the mink black hair that invited fingers to sink into its thick soft waves, to hazel eyes that Spence loved to watch. Leonardo had a way of giving him all his attention when they talked about Kane’s Plants. It was an addictive kind of attention. Spencer could admit to having fantasized about Leonardo looking at him with more than business interest. He was a healthy man after all. He also had eyes to see how hot Leonardo looked.

It didn’t help that Leonardo smelled really good.

Leonardo was intelligent, organized and knew so much about…everything. He was older. Spencer had not asked, but he was probably the same age as Christine. Christine and Leonardo had graduated high school at the same time. Leonardo lived alone in an apartment above his offices. He had a German shepherd called Rose. He had no siblings, and loved to eat his mother’s food. He loved hiking and went camping on weekends when the weather allowed.

So…yes, Spencer had maybe turned into a Leonardo-stalker at some point in the last two years.

It was not his fault that Leonardo had the most exciting Instagram account possible. Spencer followed him, hidden among a few thousand other followers. He had found all the info about Rose, and Leonardo loving his mother’s food on there. Spencer especially loved watching the hiking videos Leonardo posted.

It was also very true that he would never confess to anyone that he was obsessed with watching Leonardo and Rose hiking at the Euclid Creek Trail. They seemed to like that trail and returned to it often. They had just gone last weekend and Spencer found himself wishing he could go along. It would be fun to watch Leonardo filming Rose’s adventures as she discovered the scents of the forest.

Spencer wondered if Leonardo was still seeing the cute blonde man he kissed at Kane’s Plants.

Or was there a new boyfriend?

It was a nagging mystery.

Leonardo did not post pictures of his partners, ever.

Maybe he could ask Leonardo later tonight. Or would Leonardo ask to bring his partner? He could call and tell Leonardo to bring his partner, and…

Spencer shook his head, pushing thoughts of Leonard aside. He did not want to start obsessing, not that he wasn’t already. Leonardo was worthy of obsession.

“Speaking of homemade gifts,” Spencer said, opening his eyes to look at the ingredients on the island table. “What are you and Law going to do? Janine will be expecting something from you two. I heard Anna is bringing her mom’s lasagna. David is going with his own recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Janine loves his cookies. So, my dear Chris, what about you?”

Christine groaned. She was at work until around five p.m., and hated cooking or baking. Spencer wondered where Janine had gotten that love. Law did not mind cooking, but he was also on call. Spencer had their schedules taped to the fridge to help him track when he could drop off Janine at their house.

“We’ll have to stop home and maybe bring the strawberry jam Mom made two weeks ago,” Christine said.

“That’s cheating,” Spencer pointed out.

“It’s so not,” Christine said. “Say hi to Janine. I gotta go, babe. Please call Leo right now. You should make an effort, Spence.”

Christine ended the call.

Spencer sipped his coffee, his gaze on his phone. There was an Instagram notification. It was from Leonardo. He found Leonardo’s post and smiled when he found a video of Rose running to catch a Frisbee in a small park. They were out on a walk and the caption read, ‘Enjoying our Friday morning walk’.

Spencer swiped to the next photo and his heart skipped when he saw Leonardo kissing his mother’s cheek. She was a short woman. Her head reached his chest when they stood next to each other. Leonardo held her tight, eyes closed as he kissed her cheek. She was laughing, her gray hair cut into a neat bob, and she held her son’s right arm tight. Someone else had taken the photo.

Was it the hidden partner?

Spencer frowned, annoyed by the not knowing.

Curiosity had him exiting out of Instagram and finding his contact list. He dialed Leonardo’s number before he could overthink himself into hanging up.

His call was answered after three rings.

“Spence?” Leonardo’s husky voice said, and Spencer sucked in air.

It had been a week since he heard Leonardo say his name.

“Um,” Spencer said, lost for words.

“Yes,” Leonardo said.

Spencer frowned and pushed off the kitchen counter; he scratched his head and walked to the back door, stepping out onto the deck. He took in a deep breath of fresh air and pressed his hand to his chest. His heart was misbehaving, beating fast with anxiety.

“Um, uh,” Spence said, closing his eyes, words stumbled out of him, “I’m having a party tonight, at my house and I was wondering if you would like to come? Bring something homemade with you it’s also okay if you don’t it’s not a requirement or anything we’re just eating and sitting around and—

“Spence,” Leonardo interrupted his long tirade.

“Yeah?”

“Take a breath,” Leonardo said, with a shallow chuckle.

Spencer winced, his cheeks flaming at the embarrassment of his speedy request. Had Leonardo understood anything he said? Did he have to explain again? What if Leonardo had something else to do tonight? Wasn’t this—?

“I’d love to come to your party,” Leonardo said, stilling his doubts.

“Oh,” Spencer said, unsure what else he should say. “That’s great.”

“Can my dog come along too? I promise she’s friendly,” Leonardo said.

“Um, yes,” Spencer said, smiling at the prospect of meeting Rose. He let out a relieved sigh then cursed under his breath when he realized he was still on the phone with Leonardo. “Uh…”

“Send me your address,” Leonardo said. “I’ll try to find something homemade.”

“Okay,” Spencer said, unable to stop his grin. “See you later.”

He ended the call fast.

They needed real food, not just pecan pie. Leonardo was coming to his house for the first time, and he needed to make sure everything was perfect.

*~*~*~*~*

Leonardo stared at his phone. He could not believe Spencer Kane had called him over for a party. He smiled and rolled over on the large comfortable couch, burying his face into a pillow. How long had he known Spencer? Two years now?

Spencer had never invited him for a party at his house.

He shifted his right leg and groaned at the throbbing pain on his right ankle. He had an icepack loosely tied on the compression bandage.

Why did it have to be just when he had sprained his ankle?

Sitting up, Leonardo studied the compression bandage on his right foot. He had sprained his right ankle when he went running this morning with Rose. He jumped over a log in the park near his building, and landed on his foot wrong. The nurse who tended to his sprain had ordered rest for the rest of the day.

Grace, his assistant, drove him home from the hospital. She was currently helping to feed Rose in the kitchen. She had also called off his appointments at the office.

Leonardo was to work from home today. His phone beeped again, and he picked it up to find a message from Christine, Spencer’s older sister.

“I hope he called you. If you still like him, now is your chance, Leo. Your matchmaker, Chris.”

Leonardo chuckled and shook his head. He was just about to check on his schedule when his front door opened and his mother hurried in, calling out his name.

“Leo?” She ran into the open space from the front hall and stopped when she saw him lying on the couch. “Oh goodness, how did you get your leg injured like this? I keep telling you not to go running in the park. You don’t listen.”

“Mom, it’s just a sprain,” Leonardo said, knowing it was useless.

Haziran Shahin would fuss and then spend her time cooking to feed him, as though that would somehow make him better in an instant. He smiled as she dropped bags of groceries on a short coffee table and crossed the room to inspect his right ankle. She adjusted the ice pack and then kissed his forehead.

“You rest, later, you can work on your computer to occupy your thoughts,” Haziran said. “I’ll cook you nutritious food. Your bones will feel better soon.”

“I have to go out later,” Leonardo said.

“To do what?” Haziran asked. “You can barely move.”

“Spence invited me for a party at his house,” Leonardo said.

“Oh,” Haziran’s eyes widened with drama.

She pulled off the scarf around her shoulders and the gold bangles on her wrists jingled. The sound was enough to fill Leonardo with warm memories. His mother always wore the gold bangles on her wrists. The simple song they made filled his childhood, from hurts in the playground, to joyful moments at his graduations and annoyed moments when she was chasing him out of the kitchen or reprimanding him. The bangles jingled and danced, they were Haziran’s charm.

He smiled.

Haziran was sixty –four years old this year. She had managed to stay safe through the godawful pandemic year. He still worried about her health, even though they both tried to be extra careful and were now vaccinated. He prayed for her continued health daily.

Leonardo’s smile widened when she studied him with a narrowed gaze. She was trying to read his mind.

“You’ve talked about Spence often,” Haziran said. “He is the owner of the flower shop, Kane’s Plants? I bought pin roses from there. They are blooming beautifully this year. He’s a kind man.”

Leonardo grinned, she always knew what was on his mind.

“Do you like him?” Haziran asked, adjusting her chiffon floral print skirt.

The fabric whispering as she moved to get a pillow from the armchair across. She placed it under Leonardo’s right leg, and placed her hands on her hips. Her eyes burned with interest, as she studied him.

“Maybe,” Leonardo said, shrugging.

She frowned.

“You cannot live your life alone, Leo. This loneliness will stifle you and make you unhappy. I don’t want that for you,” Haziran shook her head. “Your ex has already moved on and even got married. Shake it off and try it with Spence, if he’s good for you.”

Leonardo chuckled.

“I’m not sure he called me over because he likes me that way,” Leonardo said. “I’m a business associate—”

“Where is the party?” Haziran asked.

“At his house,” Leonardo said, lifting his phone to find a message from Spencer.

Spencer had written an address to a house by the lake along Lakeshore Blvd.

“This is not business,” Haziran said, having moved closer to see the message. “If you like him, go with an open mind, and don’t forget to tell him.”

“Okay,” Leonardo said, then frowned. “I’m supposed to take something homemade.”

Haziran sunk fingers into his hair and massaged his head making Leonardo close his eyes.

“I can make pistachio and walnut baklava, and also chicken kebabs,” Haziran said. “I still have some baklava dough in your fridge from Monday.”

Grace came in from the kitchen, Rose following her, and she exclaimed when she saw Haziran.

“Mom Leo! You’re here.”

Rose raced to Haziran, and sat looking up waiting for Haziran to scratch her ears. She was not disappointed and was beside herself with excitement at the royal treatment Haziran heaped on her. Haziran patted Rose’s head and turned to Grace, who was arranging her laptop at a large table by the windows.

“Thank you so much, dear, for going to help him at the hospital and bringing him back,” Haziran said. “If you stay longer, I’ll give you some baklava to take home. How is your husband?”

“Josh is fine,” Grace said, pulling out a chair to sit. “He loves anything you make, so I’ll stay and even help if you need it.”

Haziran grinned and kissed Rose’s head before she stood up.

“I’ll be in the kitchen,” she said, smiling when Rose went to rest her head on Leo’s stomach. “Sleep some, gather your energy for later.”

“Mm,” Leonardo said, watching her pick up the grocery bags from the coffee table. She disappeared down the hall to the kitchen and he was left in the company of Grace.

Grace focused on work and was soon answering and making phone calls.

Leonardo lay back, his thoughts on Spencer Kane.

Spencer had, without knowing, contributed to the end of Leonardo’s relationship with Aaron, his ex-boyfriend.

Leonardo had not even noticed his attraction to Spencer, but Aaron did.

Aaron even stopped by Kane’s Plants at the start of Leonardo’s contract to meet Spencer. Aaron liked Spencer’s sunny mood, but he had then pulled Leonardo aside and kissed him. The little stamp of ownership had amused Leonardo at the time.

Then, as the weeks continued, Leonardo found himself thinking more about Spencer and the passion that drove him as he planned for the flower shop. Aaron mentioned that Leonardo was focusing too much on Spencer, talking about him, thinking about him.

Leonardo insisted Aaron was over thinking the situation and that it was only work. Leonardo denied Aaron’s accusations until one day when Leonardo arrived at the flower shop.

Spencer was standing on a ladder. He was hanging a pot with a vibrant coleus plant. His t-shirt was riding up at the waistline, showing off an expanse of skin that Leonardo found himself wanting to touch. He wanted to press his hand on Spencer’s stomach, slide it up to discover even more…the thought surprised him. The heat that filled him shocked him.

Spencer stepped down the ladder, missed a step and stumbled back into Leonardo’s arms.

Leonardo wrapped his arms around Spencer to steady him, and froze. Spencer turned to look at him, blue eyes wide in surprise, and a shock of brown hair falling over his forehead as he looked up at Leonardo. Their faces were an inch apart. Leonardo could taste the scent of mint gum on Spencer’s breath.

Spencer stepped away in the next minute, but that moment changed everything.

Leonardo realized Aaron was right about his attraction to Spencer. He tried to avoid it for a while, hide it, but it was hard when a simple message from Spencer would have him smiling like an idiot. His obvious feelings for Spencer hurt Aaron, became unfair to Aaron.

Aaron ended their relationship, his heart broken at the injustice, and Leonardo had not blamed Aaron for hating him. That was the end of twenty nineteen.

Twenty twenty came, and a pandemic descended.

Leonardo watched Spencer struggle to keep his flower shop running, keep his business going in a time when there was only fear and frustration.

Leonardo supported him with everything, taking his own time to manage Spencer’s website and make sure he had a shopping cart that worked. He even hooked him up to a very experienced social media manager. Kane’s Plants was important to Spencer, so it became important to Leonardo.

The downside was that Spencer kept their meetings, calls, messages and all interactions professional. The professional distance was hard on Leonardo. It was difficult to like someone who was intent on keeping your relationship all about business.

But what could he do, Leonardo sighed, placing his arm over his face, covering his eyes. He had become someone who made do with just getting to see Spencer, even on a Zoom call. He loved getting to discuss how long it was taking to load the pages on the Kane’s Plants website. Infatuation or obsession, he wasn’t sure which one to label his relationship with Spencer.

Christine was his lifesaver. She kept him up on Spencer without effort. Thanks to her, he knew that Spencer was taking care of Janine while Christine and her husband managed their job risks. Spencer had fought hard to keep his two assistants working at his shop. He didn’t want to let them go even when he had to pay their salaries from his savings.

Spencer loved his family the way Leonardo loved Haziran and Rose. He loved his shop and found passion in growing plants the same way Leonardo loved his work and his company.

The only unknown was whether Spencer liked Leonardo.

Spencer kept his feelings hidden from Leonardo. So hidden, it made Leonardo feel like there was no hope. It scared him sometimes.

Leonardo fell asleep thinking about Spencer. He dreamed about watching Spencer arranging plants around his shop while Leonardo sat at the counter updating the Kane’s Plants website. Spencer glanced at him and smiled a beautiful smile that reminded Leonardo of a lover.

He woke up to a gentle squeeze on his shoulder.

The dream was replaced by a longing so deep he wondered if it would ever end. Haziran was right about trying to talk to Spencer. Maybe he would try it today and see if Spencer even liked him. He met his mother’s gaze and she smiled.

“It’s five in the afternoon,” Haziran said. “You said you wanted to go to Spencer’s party. I’ve packed a batch of baklava and chicken kebabs. You should wake up and change.”

Leonardo sat up and rubbed his eyes. He found Rose sleeping in her bed by the end of the couch. Smiling, he swung his legs to the floor and winced when his right ankle complained. He looked back to see the table by the window empty.

“Grace left thirty minutes ago,” Haziran said, bringing him the crutches the clinic had given him. “She said, she would email you any pressing issues.”

Leonardo stood up with Haziran’s help, using the crutches to relieve weight off his injured ankle. Rose got up and followed them to Leonardo’s room. Haziran helped him into the bathroom and left him with an order to call out if he needed help. He freshened up, washing his face and chest, quickly running his shaver over his jaw and chin. He grabbed his aftershave and used a subtle amount then used deodorant. As for his hair, he ran a brush through the thick dark mass and decided it would do for now, as long as it was not sticking up. Satisfied with his image in the mirror, he grabbed the crutches and left the bathroom. Haziran had left him alone, so he went into the closet to find fresh clothes.

It was both funny and frustrating having to hop about as he changed into gray chinos and a white short-sleeve shirt. He took black leather sandals from the shoe rack in his closet and slipped them on. They were slip on and gentle on his sprained right ankle. He tested the pain on levels on his ankle, and cursed when he really could not step down without pain. He hoped he would heal faster, but he knew the drill, it would be about two days of crutches. This was not his first sprain.

Reaching for his crutches, Leonardo left his bedroom and headed to the open living room to find his mother waiting with Rose who was already leashed.

Haziran shook her car keys and picked up the bag with the packed food.

“I’ll drop you off,” Haziran said. “Your friend can bring you back home after the party.”

“Sounds good,” Leonardo said, following his mother and Rose to the door.

*~*~*~*

Five-thirty arrived too soon. Spencer checked on the array of foods he ended up making on the dining table. He had grilled chicken breasts, made a coleslaw, roasted sweet potatoes, and put together a Caesar salad with garlic croutons. The macaroni salad was chilling in the fridge.

Janine carried a large glass jar filled with lemonade. Spencer helped her place it in the middle of the table and smiled when she wrapped an arm around his waist.

“My pecan pie looks good, right, Uncle Spence?”

“It looks delish,” Spencer said, his gaze shifting to the two round pans with the pecan pies Janine had baked. “Grandma was so excited to see them come out. I’m proud of you, kiddo.”

Spencer brushed back her hair and took in a deep breath.

“Okay,” Spencer said, reaching out to arrange the small vase filled white daisies on the table. “We both go up freshen up and return here to great our guests. Deal?”

“Deal,” Janine said, and held up her hand for a high five.

Spencer gave her one and grinned when she rushed out of the dining room.

Spencer checked the kitchen one last time, making sure the oven was off and the cooker turned off. He then hurried upstairs for a quick shower and a change of clothes.

The doorbell rang just as he finished buttoning his pale blue shirt. He was in white pants and the shirt was left untucked. Jamming his feet into white flip-flops, he hurried out of his bedroom, running fingers through the length of brown hair on top of his head. The sides were cut short and the top was left to grow longer. The style usually fell in place with little effort.

Spencer hurried down the stairs, and went down the short corridor to the front door. Pulling it open, his smile ready, he stopped when he saw Leonardo and an older woman standing on his front porch. Leonardo was supporting himself on crutches. Rose sniffed the rug at the front door with interest. Spencer recognized the older woman as Leonardo’s mother, even though she wore an N95 mask.

“Afternoon, Spence,” Leonardo said, his voice made Spence’s heart skip. It was too bad he could not see the smile that was surely hidden behind a dark cloth mask. Worry followed at the presence of the crutches Leonardo was using to stand.

“Hi,” Spencer said, pushing the door open wider. “What happened, Leo? Why are you on crutches?”

“He injured his right ankle during his morning run today,” the older woman said in answer.

She held out a large tote bag to him, and Rose’s leash.

“I’m Haziran,” she said, in introduction. “Leo’s mother. I dropped him off and I hope you would help him find his way home later.”

“Of course,” Spencer said, taking the bag and Rose’s leash. He smiled at Haziran. “Do you want to come in too? We’re a small group and its all family.”

“Maybe another day,” Haziran said, looking at Leonardo. She reached out to squeeze Leonardo’s right arm. “Leo, call me if you need help.”

“Thank you Mom,” Leonardo said.

Haziran patted his arm and turned to Spencer.

“It is very nice to meet you Spencer,” Haziran said. “Maybe we can meet at a later date.”

“I’d like that,” Spencer said, conscious of Leonardo studying him as he waved goodbye to Haziran.

Spencer stepped out of the house to watch Haziran make her way back to her red SUV parked on the curb. They both waited until she drove off with a honk before they moved.

Spencer turned to look at Leonardo, and ended up tying Rose’s leash around his thighs.

“Watch out,” Leonardo said, his tone low, husky, and filled with amusement. “She’s a strong girl and will drop you.”

Spencer’s cheeks went hot as he busied himself with untangling Rose’s leash. Rose was unconcerned about his antics as she sat watching both of them with interest.

When he had the leash in control, he turned to Leonardo.

“Did I come too early?” Leonardo asked, looking into the house.

“No,” Spencer said, realizing they were still standing on his porch. “Please, come on in.”

Spencer led the way into the house. Rose was a great dog. She followed him without fuss when he led the way to the living room. He placed the bag Haziran had given him on the coffee table. He scratched Rose’s ears and worked on removing her leash. When she was free, she started an avid exploration of his living room.

“Don’t worry, she’s trained,” Leonardo said, making Spencer turn to find Leonardo making his way into the living room.

The crutches were odd on Leonardo. This man was so full of energy; it was weird to see him like this.

Leonardo stopped by the deep green loveseat and started to turn so that he could sit. His movements were shaky and cumbersome. He could not put weight on his right leg so he was basically hopping on his left foot. Spencer hurried to his side, taking the crutches from him and gripping Leonardo’s right arm, as he turned.

Leonardo sat on the couch with a sigh, and glared at his right ankle with annoyance. He removed his mask and placed it on the stool next to the couch. His hand automatically pressed on the sanitizer bottle standing on the stool. He rubbed the sanitizer on his hands as he sat back on the cushions.

“I’m sorry,” Leonardo said, glancing up at Spencer. “I might be more of a nuisance than a guest. I just didn’t want to miss your party.”

“You’re never a nuisance, Leo,” Spencer said, leaning the crutches on the stool next to the loveseat. He perched on the wooden coffee table and stared at the compression bandage on Leonardo’s right ankle.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you injured,” Spencer said, with a frown.

What was Leonardo going to do about driving to work? What about taking a shower, doing chores around his house, walking Rose, there was so much. Was he staying alone? Was Haziran staying with him?

Spencer’s frown deepened with worry.

“I try to keep my injuries to a minimum,” Leonardo said, making him look up. “Don’t look so worried, Spence. I’ll start thinking you care more than I think.”

“I do,” Spencer said, without much thought. He met Leonardo’s startled gaze and blushed as he realized what he had just said. “Um…I mean—”

“What would you say if I told you I like you?” Leonardo cut in.

Spencer’s eyes widened.

Rose returned to her master and rested her head on Leonardo’s left knee.

Leonardo stroked her head, as he kept his gaze on Spencer, waiting.

Waiting for me, Spencer thought in surprise. Wasn’t this what he had hoped for? For Leonardo to like him—

“Don’t you have a boyfriend?” Spencer asked, thinking about the cute blonde Leonardo had once kissed. It pained him to think of Leonardo committed to another. It always had.

That cute blonde was the one person that had kept Spencer from ever fantasizing about Leonardo. Okay, correction…to be honest, fantasies had filled his dreams and thoughts, but he never thought to act on them as long as Leonardo was with someone else.

“I haven’t had a boyfriend for over a year now,” Leonardo said. “I broke up with Aaron in December twenty nineteen. I ended it with him the moment I discovered I was interested in you, Spence. It was not fair on him.”

“Oh,” Spencer said, unable to hide the warmth and hope blooming inside him.

Over a year, he gaped. He should have called Leonardo home for a party sooner. All this time, they could have been together. How had he not known Leonardo was single?

“So?” Leonardo asked, as he studied Spencer, his right brow raised in question.

Spencer stared at Leonardo. All the hope he had suppressed for months rose up, and suddenly he could not stop thinking of them, together, in a relationship.

“Spence?” Leonardo prompted after a few minutes passed in silence.

“Mm?” Spencer asked, still processing.

“Are you going to answer my question?” Leonardo asked, giving him a rare shy smile. “Or should I assume you don’t like me that way.”

“I like you too,” Spencer said, not about to lose out on Leonardo. He had also waited so long. “I like you very much. I have for a while, Leo. I thought you had a boyfriend, so I didn’t think you would like me back. I tried to keep our…I mean...”

“I understand. I do,” Leonardo said, his voice strong, as he confirmed his feelings, turning Spencer’s heartbeat into a celebration dance. “Like you back, that is. Will you be my boyfriend, Spencer Kane?”

Spencer smiled, elated.

He reached over and scratched Rose’s ears, before he tangled his fingers with Leonardo’s in Rose’s fur.

“I’d love to be your boyfriend, Leonardo Shahin,” Spencer said, grinning wide.

Leonardo returned his grin and held Spencer’s hand tight.

They sat there wrapped in a sweet cloud of discovery that was soon broken by Janine’s prompt arrival. She looked beautiful in a pair of blue trousers and a pink floral blouse. Her brown hair in a ponytail, her bangs brushed to perfection. She squealed when she saw Rose, and hurried over to greet Leonardo so that she could pet the dog.

“You’ve met Janine at the shop,” Spencer said, letting go of Leonardo’s hand so that Janine could maneuver over Leonardo’s feet to get to Rose.

“Hello, Janine,” Leonardo said, giving Janine all his attention.

“Is this your dog?” Janine asked, crouching on the floor so that she could pet Rose. “What’s her name?”

“Rose,” Leonardo said, glancing at Spencer, who smiled in encouragement.

“What does Rose like to eat?” Janine asked.

Leonardo shifted, careful to keep his right leg stretched out, he pulled out a zip lock bag from his back pocket. The little bag had dog biscuits. He handed one to Janine.

“She’ll be your best friend if you give her these,” Leonardo said, helping Janine give Rose a biscuit.

Rose ate the biscuit and bumped his nose into Janine’s shoulder, then licked her cheek, making Janine laugh as she hugged the dog.

“See, she loves you already,” Leonardo praised.

Spencer got up from the coffee table and reached for the bag Haziran handed him. He reached in and pulled out two large containers. Opening them, he took in the delicious scent of fresh baklava and chicken kebabs.

“Your homemade gifts look delicious,” Spencer said, glancing at Leonardo. “Did you make them?”

Leonardo gave him a shy smile then shook his head.

“Mom cooked them,” Leonardo said. “You don’t want me to cook for you, Spence. Consider it as me saving all of us from the runs.”

Janine laughed and Spencer shook his head at Leonardo’s description.

“I’ll take these to the dining table,” Spencer said. “Janine, do you want to play with Rose in the backyard?”

“Yes,” she said, her enthusiasm affecting Rose.

Janine got up and ran out of the living room, her ponytail bouncing as she went. Rose followed her, her tail wagging, eager to discover a new adventure.

Spencer picked up the two bowls with precious food and smiled when he looked at Leonardo.

“Do you want to sit out on the back porch with me?” Spencer asked. “We can have some baklava and lemonade. The others will be here after six o’clock.”

“Sure,” Leonardo said, reaching for the crutches.

He got up on his own and Spencer led the way to the dining room.

Leonardo checked out the dining table as Spencer placed four pieces of baklava on a plate and poured three glasses of lemonade. He picked up two glasses and then led Leonardo through the kitchen, to the backdoor.

The sun was bright, splashing across the back porch. Leonardo settled in a wicker chair set near a small round glass table. Red and pink roses grew along the porch rail. They were in full bloom, filling the garden with their scent. The grass was in the yard was neat cut. Janine was running after Rose, round the space, laughing when Rose stopped so that she could catch up.

Spencer hurried back into the house to get the plate of baklava and the last glass of lemonade. The moment he settled in the chair next to Leonardo, it felt like the most comfortable thing he had ever done in his life.

It was interesting that it felt right to sit next to Leonardo out here watching Rose and Janine run in the yard, drinking a glass of lemonade on a Friday afternoon.

“How’s the shop?” Leonardo asked, reaching for his lemonade. He took a healthy sip and nodded in appreciation.

“Doing well,” Spencer said, shifting in his chair to face Leonardo. “We’re still running sales online and shipping out the orders like we did last year. Added on to the customers who visit the shop, we have increased our sales. We are finally on stable ground this summer. I’ve wanted to thank you for helping us.”

“There’s no need for thanks between us, Spence,” Leonardo said, placing his glass on the table. He reached out to take Spencer’s hand. “I love helping with the shop.”

Spencer nodded, and tangled his fingers with Leonardo’s, smiling at the possibilities growing. Leonardo knew more about him, than he knew about Leonardo.

“I want to discover all about you too,” Spencer said.

“I’d like that,” Leonardo said.

“Great, let’s start with you telling me how you got your ankle sprained,” Spencer said, squeezing Leonardo’s hand. “How are you going to manage alone in your apartment?”

“I can manage,” Leonardo said, shrugging. “I jumped over a log in the park and landed wrong. A nice lady got me to the clinic near the park. It’s a sprain that should resolve in a few days.”

“Still, it’s not exactly going to be easy, Leo. I can be your chauffeur this weekend if you need to go anywhere,” Spencer said. “I’ll come over to help you walk Rose and help with chores around your apartment.”

“Are you sure?” Leonardo asked.

“I want to do it. I’m your boyfriend now, right?” Spencer said, letting go of Leonardo’s hand to reach for his lemonade glass. He took a sip and tried not to smile too wide at the thought. Leonardo Shahin was now his boyfriend; it felt like a dream.

Spencer smiled anyway and drank his lemonade.

*~*~*~*

Leonardo watched Spencer drink his lemonade and decided to be grateful for his sprain. Spencer’s worry had helped Leonardo discover Spencer’s feelings toward him. The worry on Spencer’s face as he studied Leonardo’s right ankle had been enough to make Leonardo want to kiss him.

It had been a long time since someone other than his mother worried about his aches and pains.

Spencer was his boyfriend now.

Leonardo smiled and turned to watch Rose and Janine playing in the garden. This party was turning out to be a blast.

The evening turned magical after that.

Leonardo sat on the porch drinking lemonade with Spencer, talking about the flower shop, about his own business. Spencer was relaxed, easy to smile and laugh, he held Leonardo’s hand often, and shifted closer to him when Leonardo discussed plans for his business.

Spencer’s assistants arrived at around seven, and they moved chairs to join them on the porch. Spencer got up to get more drinks from the fridge and check on the food. He left Leonardo to entertain Anna and David, and supervise Janine and Rose.

Leonardo found that he liked having Spencer think of him as someone to rely on.

The evening progressed in an easy flow of laughter, really good food, and praises for Janine who baked the pecan pie. Janine was delightful and Leonardo could see that she looked to Spencer often for support and approval. Spencer and Janine had a strong bond, and Leonardo loved watching them together.

When Janine’s parents arrived, she presented them with slices of the pecan pie, and she clapped with joy when Christine praised her on how delicious it all tasted. Lawrence kissed Janine’s cheek and then ate his slice in two bites. Janine laughed, but then she started to cry and Christine pulled her into a hug.

Spencer was sitting next to Leonardo, his chair now right next to him. They had moved to make room for everyone.

Leonardo didn’t miss the sheen of tears in Spencer’s eyes when Janine hugged Christine, and then Lawrence.

Spencer turned to him to hide his tears from Anna and David.

Leonardo grabbed a napkin from the coffee table and pressed it into Spencer’s hand. He knew it wasn’t easy for them. Having a nurse and a doctor in the family, facing a deadly fight in the hospital daily had left Spencer’s family’s nerves frayed. They were under strain, and Spencer was the one strong beam Janine was leaning on for now. Leonardo had seen how hard it could get, how crippling the fear could be for all of them.

Spencer breathed in, fighting for control, and when he had it, Leonardo looked into his eyes.

“Later, when everyone leaves,” Leonardo said, keeping his voice low. “Will you let me kiss you?”

Spencer stared at him, once again surprise on his face.

“I really want to kiss you,” Leonardo said, whispering in Spencer’s ear, making him blush.

Spencer dropped his gaze to Leonardo’s lips and gave him a single nod that had Leonardo grinning in anticipation.

Much later, after the party ended, Leonardo did his best to help Spencer clean.

Janine had opted to return home with her parents. They were both off this weekend and wanted to spend time with her. Janine’s departure left them alone.

Rose lay on the rug under the kitchen table sleeping.

Spencer tried to make Leonardo sit and rest, as he cleared the dining table, but Leonardo would not allow it.

Leonardo went to the kitchen sink, and started washing dishes while Spencer packed away the leftover food. He made sure his right foot was off the floor, but it still throbbed a little.

They worked in a harmonious domestic camaraderie until the kitchen was finally neat.

“Do you want some coffee?” Spencer asked. He stood near the door to the laundry room, while Leonardo leaned on the kitchen sink counter.

Leonardo shook his head. He was full. Besides, what he wanted now had nothing to do with food or drink.

“Okay,” Spencer said, looking around the kitchen. “Then, I’ll give you a ride to your apartment now—”

“Spence,” Leonardo said, interrupting him. “My right ankle is complaining a bit, so I can’t come to you. So, please, will you come to me?”

Spencer took in a deep breath, hesitating, and just when Leonardo thought he would refuse, he took the steps to reach Leonardo.

Leonardo took his right arm and pulled him close, wrapping his arms around him.

Spencer let out a short gasp of surprise, and then they were looking into each other’s eyes. Just like that one time Leonardo had caught Spencer when he stumbled from the ladder at Kane’s Plants.

This time, there was no one to stop him from kissing Spencer.

So, Leonardo took Spencer’s lips in a kiss that had them tightening their hold on each other.

The taste of their kiss was everything Leonardo had dreamed and more. Leonardo knew in that moment that he wanted to have Spencer’s kisses forever.

When they ended their kiss, Spencer leaned back to look at him. Leonardo took in a breath when Spencer brought his right hand up to caress Leonardo’s dark hair.

“Leo,” Spencer said, his voice low, as he rested his weight on Leonardo. “I’ve wanted to kiss you for ages. Would you mind it very much if I said that I want to work at getting to know you for a long, long time?”

“I want the same thing,” Leonardo said. “I’d even say let’s do it forever.”

“Forever,” Spencer said, with a chuckle, bringing his hand to stroke Leonardo’s jaw. “How about we try for a month?”

“We can try for longer than a month,” Leonardo said, kissing Spencer’s cheek.

“Mm,” Spencer said. “Can we really do it?”

“I’ve been waiting for you for months,” Leonardo said, kissing the tip of Spencer’s nose. “If I have you, I can make it years.”

“Months?” Spencer asked, “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because, I was waiting for the right time,” Leonardo said, kissing Spencer’s left cheek. “Now that it is here, I can definitely try for forever.”

Spencer cupped Leonardo’s face in his hands.

“Then, let’s do it,” Spencer said, and kissed Leonardo with all his hope for their forever.

*~*~*~*

 

 

This story is a short, in response to the prompt above.
Copyright © 2021 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Rather sweet way for two people to fall in love, and with the pandemic laced throughout it all felt very real.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, 84Mags said:

Rather sweet way for two people to fall in love, and with the pandemic laced throughout it all felt very real.  

Thanks Mags. Tried to keep it to the times, hehehe.

5 hours ago, Danilo Syrtis said:

Thanks to the matchmaker 😜

excellent short story 👍

The matchmaker always gets a toast :) Thank you for reading.

38 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great short story and a great use of the prompt.

Thank you Chris!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A lovely use of the prompt and a reminder of how the pandemic has disturbed so many lives and businesses.The descriptions were very visual; I could imagine being in the shop and in Spencer's house.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Mawgrim said:

A lovely use of the prompt and a reminder of how the pandemic has disturbed so many lives and businesses.The descriptions were very visual; I could imagine being in the shop and in Spencer's house.

Thank you, Mawgrim. It felt right to explore the pandemic a bit while adding a bit of romance magic. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great story reading about Janine and how she is living without her parents makes me angry about all those selfish anti maskers and anti vaxxs they don’t realize that their selfishness and reckless is keeping parents from there children and vise versa and because of them this pandemic keeps mutating am so frustrated if they will suffer alone that on them but they don’t we all suffer with them so annoying 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A terrific response to the prompt set in our world of today.  It shows the strength and resilience of the human spirit. I enjoyed it very much.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A very cute story placed in serious times. Thank you. :)

Edited by Aditus
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Sisters and mothers. They really never had a chance to not be set up. 😜🤣😂❤️ Lovely story! 
 

On a side note, I have been watching Kingdom on Netflix. I keep wishing that you were one of their writers. You would add incredible depth and flesh to the story. ❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Loring said:

They really never had a chance to not be set up.

Totally, hehehe

 

4 hours ago, Loring said:

I have been watching Kingdom on Netflix. I keep wishing that you were one of their writers.

Highest compliment, thank you, I'm a great fan of the manhwa source material.  Kingdom is a very creative and engaging piece of art, very full of gory scenes of which I scream through, but that's a side story, hehehe. Thank you, Loring.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:28 PM, Aditus said:

A very cute story placed in serious times. Thank you. :)

Thank you too Aditus for reading.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:38 PM, Mikiesboy said:

It shows the strength and resilience of the human spirit. I enjoyed it very much.

We all keep stepping forward, bravely, daily.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

On 8/14/2021 at 1:26 PM, Nana Atuwa said:

Great story reading about Janine and how she is living without her parents makes me angry about all those selfish anti maskers and anti vaxxs they don’t realize that their selfishness and reckless is keeping parents from there children and vise versa and because of them this pandemic keeps mutating am so frustrated if they will suffer alone that on them but they don’t we all suffer with them so annoying 

True, I agree.  In the end, we can only do the best we can for our families and those close to us. Survive, do what we can to live and get through, day by day. Manage situations that find us because of what and who we can't control, and be grateful for good health. :)

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..