Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 1,322 Words
  • 3,243 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Last Chance High - 2. Chapter 2

Toni spent all week trying to avoid Marc and the Jocks, but they were making it very difficult. They were just so nice. Toni had never been to a school like this one. There were definite lines between the social groups but they tended to overlap. Simon, for example, spent most of his time hanging out with Warren’s group of punk rock rebels. But he was also on the football team. Jocks dated book worms and Barbie's flirted with rebels in the halls. And Marc was just friends with everyone. His easy smile and sparkling eyes. The way he looked at you as you spoke like you were the most important person in the world. Toni could see why everyone wanted to be his friend.

The only person who had anything bad to say about Marc was Warren.

Every time Marc tried to start a conversation with Toni, Warren would scowl and scoff. He was often telling Toni to watch his back around Marc. He wouldn’t give him any reason, just said that the jock wasn’t what he seemed.

Friday rolled along slowly, like Fridays always do. It felt like a lifetime had passed when the lunch bell finally rang. Toni felt like a zombie as he followed Warren and Jenny towards the cafeteria. Their conversation was buzzing in his ears. He stopped in the doorway and blinked, he must have gotten turned around. No, this was definitely the cafeteria. But all the tables had been pushed aside and a small stage had been set up in front of the windows. Blue and yellow streamers and balloons floated along.

“Oh goody, another pep rally for our fearless footballers.” Warren rolled his eyes as he slung his arm around Antonio’s shoulder. “Because we all know football is so very important.” Toni faked a chuckle, Jenny glared.

“My brother plays football. He’s the captain.”

“And I’m sure he’s a great captain. I just don’t see why we have to interrupt our lunch to help a bunch of muscle-bound, meatball heads get ramped up. I mean isn’t that what the steroids are for?” He gave Toni another big smile as he laughed at his own jokes. Jenny turned on her heel and stormed off.

“Warren, that wasn’t cool.”

“Oh come on Toni, don’t tell me you’re actually going to stand up for those guys. Their jocks, jocks are ass holes.”

“Actually, those guys have been pretty cool to me. Besides, you’re supposed to be Jenny’s friend. You can’t just go talking about her brother like that.”

“She didn’t need to get so upset. It’s not her fault her brother is a meatball head. All jocks are the same, you get it, don’t you Toni?”

“I’ve met my share of asshole footballers, but that doesn’t mean they are all like that.”

“No, Toni, they are all like that.”

Toni glanced towards the gathering on stag. Players in their scrimmage shirts, the cheerleaders bouncing around in front of them. He remembered this scene from the other side. “I used to play football.”

“What?! No way!”

“Yea, I was a wide receiver freshman year.”

Warren stared at Toni wide-eyed for a moment; he turned to look at the stage and replied “Why did you stop?”

“I got kicked out of the school. But the point is you were a dick to Jenny and you should apologize.” Warren nodded. After a moment he wandered away to find Jenny.

 

+X+

Marc watched Warren walk away from Toni. The boy looked a little lost standing there all by himself as people streamed by him. Marc pushed off the wall and started towards him. I’m just being nice, friendly. As a senior it’s my job to help the juniors navigate the world. Especially new kids. I’m not going over to him because I’m drawn to those pools of melted chocolate he calls eyes. Or because I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the way the he looked changing out of his gym uniform. His olive skin slicked with a thin sheen of sweat. Marc stopped and shook his head. Trying to clear the images before he reached him. Toni wasn’t interested in him that way, and he didn’t want to freak the kid out. With a deep breath he steadied his pace and approached him.

“Not really into school spirit are you?” Toni jumped and turned to Marc with wide eyes. “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.”

“It’s okay. I just wasn’t expecting you, there, like that.” If Toni was honest he was too busy thinking about Marc to notice he had walked up beside him. He felt his cheeks grow warm. “But no, not usually. When you change schools as often as I do you skip this kind of thing.”

Toni followed Marc over to a table near the back wall and sat next to him.

“Why do you change schools so often?”

Toni winced, “I’m a troublemaker, can’t you tell?”

“You don’t seem so bad to me.” Marc flicked his eyes sideways to look at Toni, he had his eyes glued towards the stage. He took a second to admire his profile. But damn, that boy was fine. Marc shook those thought away “Anyways, are you coming to the game tonight?”

“I wasn’t planning on it.”

“You should come; we’re all going to Brittany’s place afterwards.”

“What, like a party?”

“Yes, exactly like a party.” Marc laughed and bumped him with his shoulder, “You should come.”

“I don’t know, I’m not really a party person.”

Marc pouted, his blue eyes wide, “Come on Antonio, please? For me.”

Toni swallowed, he was having very bad thoughts about those pouting lips. And he knew that sentence would be playing over and over in his head for a long time.

Marc continued, taking Toni’s silence as refusal, “It will be fun, I promise. Simon and Isabelle usually show up. I’m pretty sure Alex convinced Daphne to come so it’s not like you won’t know anyone.”

Toni blinked and tried to focus on what Marc was saying. “Oh...um... yea, right, fun. That’s good.”

Marc laughed, and Toni was sure it was the most amazing sound he ever heard. “Good, then I’ll see you there. And I won’t be offended if you skip the game itself.” He smacked Toni’s knee, “Later man.” With a 100 watt smile Marc headed back towards to stage where his friends waited for him.

Toni nodded, not sure if he trusted himself to speak. What had he gotten himself into?

Warren sat down beside him with a huff, “What did he want?” Toni didn’t look at him; he couldn’t take his eyes off the retreating form of Marc Townsend. He said please, for him. Like marc personally wanted Toni to be there.

“He invited me to a party.”

Isabelle sat on the bench at Toni’s feet, with Jenny and Daphne. “At Brittany’s right? We’re going too. We could all go together.”

“Toni doesn’t want to go to their party.” Warren said with venom, Toni finally looked at him.

“I don’t?”

“Oh Come on Toni; don’t tell me you’re falling for that act.” Toni tried not to blush.

“I just don’t know why you’re being such an ass.” Toni mumbled staring at his shoes.

“Yea Warren; don’t make the kid feel bad for wanting to go to a party.” Jenny jumped up and put her arm around his shoulders. “I’ll pick you up at nine. Fuck Warren.” She smirked at Warren and bounced away, the other girls followed behind her.

“You’re actually going to go?” Warren sneered.

“I don’t like being told what to do Warren. Don’t think for one minute I’m going to let you get away with it.” Toni stormed off. He was determined to go to this party now, just to piss off Warren. It had nothing to do with Marc pouting at him with those baby seal eyes. Nothing at all.







 

Copyright © 2016 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ooohhh, I'm so glad Toni's going to go to the party! Even if it's just to show up Warren. lol

 

I'm lovin' this story, Lilly! :)

Link to comment

Warren seems to be a typical woe-is-me sexually confused emotional kid who hates himself and takes it out on everyone else.  He's a dick and not a good kind. .. if Marc is openly gay, I'm surprised that never made the gossip rounds when Toni was gathering Intel. I like the diversity of the characters and how the cliques mix together. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..