Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 2,730 Words
  • 4,115 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Last Chance High - 10. Chapter 10

"Remind me again...why are we here?"

"Because you skipped the homecoming dance."

Toni and Matt stood in Brittany Bates's driveway looking up at her large house. The sounds of the after party drifting through the night towards them. Toni had called Matt Tuesday night. They met up for coffee again Wednesday at lunch and Matt came over for two hours after school. Thursday they sat in the hall together at lunch, and Matt was at Toni’s house that night till 10:00. Matt tried to convince Toni to join him at the dance on Friday. When that failed he showed up after and told him to get dressed, they were going to a party.

"Skipped it for a reason."

"And Marc won Homecoming King."

"Not surprising."

"And all the King wanted, was to dance with you at homecoming."

"You assume."

“He was miserable the whole night.” Matt turned to face him. "Come inside for an hour, just one hour. If you hate it I'll take you home." Toni sighed. "Did I mention how great he looked tonight?" Matt whispered elbowing Toni in the side.

"That is not a deciding factor. He always looks great." Toni mumbled as he headed up the drive.

 

Matt hadn't been exaggerating. In his finely tailored suit and that sea green tie that matched his eyes, Marc did look great. Toni took a deep breath as he followed Matt into the kitchen. When Marc noticed them he froze for a heartbeat before he shook himself and raised his hand in greeting.

"Hey! Check it out!" Marc bent his head to show off his shiny crown. "Pretty cool huh?"

Toni nodded, the boy was made to wear a crown. Matt picked up the slack and showed proper enthusiasm. Toni leaned on the counter next to Matt while he made conversation with the others. Toni was too busy forcing himself not to look at Marc to force conversation. Toni jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Meet me outside." Marc whispered with a wink as he slipped out of the kitchen. Toni hesitated, he really wanted to go after him but he also didn't want anyone to notice they both slipped off. Matt elbowed him in the side and gestured with his head for Toni to go. Jack's enthusiastic storytelling held everyone's attention. No one would notice him slip away. So he did, making a beeline for the back door. The only light was coming from the windows leaving the yard in shadows. Walking down the stairs and off the porch Toni stepped into the shadows.

A warm and firm hand wrapped around his and lead him to a small stone bench in the garden. The light filtered through the bushes making it just light enough to see. Toni pulled his hand away and sat next to Marc in silence, waiting for him to say something. But they older boy seemed content to just look at him.

"What's up, Marc?" Toni whispered, breaking the silence.

Marc smiled sadly. "I just... Wanted to spend some time with you. I'm so glad you're here." Marc reached over and laced his fingers with Toni's. He slid closer so they were just inches apart. "I miss you. I just wanted some alone time." Toni felt his eyes burn and he was glad for the deep shadows.

"Marc..."

"Don't worry, I'm not pushing. I just... you look beautiful tonight, Toni. I wanted to tell you that. We can talk right? Just sit here and talk."

Marc's voice was soft and strained. He spoke slow and seemed to have trouble focusing. He kept trailing off and staring at Toni with a wistful look on his face.

"Are you drunk, Marc?"

"I've had a few."

Toni pulled away and stood up. "Look, I should go." As much as he liked the idea of spending some time alone with Marc, he wasn’t comfortable with him being drunk.

"But... You came. To my party."

"Technically it's Drew's party. But I'm only here because Matt brought me."

"You came with Matt? You're here with Matt?" Marc sounded surprised and a little bitter.

"He drove me. Came around after the dance and talked me into it. He's very convincing."

Marc frowned. "I thought...I just, I didn't know you were here with him." The way he said ‘him’ sounded almost like a sneer.

Toni blushed which made Marc angry. "We're not here together together. We just came here together."

"Yea, well I guess you should get back to him." Marc stood up abruptly. "Wouldn't want to keep sweet Matt waiting."

"Marc..." Toni stood as well, he could tell Marc was upset and didn't want to let him leave like that.

"No, it's cool I get it. Really." Marc had to get away or he was going to say something he would regret. He could feel the alcohol loosening his tongue.

But Toni reached out and took his hand pulling him deeper into the shadows and within an inch of the smaller boy. He looked nervous but didn't drop his hand. Marc reached out and put his free hand on Toni's hip.

"I just wanted to say congratulations on your crown. I voted for you...you were kind of born to wear a crown." Without looking at his face Toni stretched up and brushed his lips against Marc's cheek. Marc reached out to pull him back against his body but Toni held fast.

"Don't ruin it, Marc." Toni whispered. Marc nodded and dropped his hand.

"Thank you for coming, Toni." Toni nodded and gave him a small smile before slipping back through the shadows towards the house.

Marc stayed in the garden and sat back on the bench. Toni had kissed him. On the cheek, while he was here with another guy. But he kissed him, and told him he was meant to wear a crown. He wasn’t sure how he felt about it, but he decided to focus on the feel of Toni’s soft lips on his skin. Not that he was here with Matt Neilson.

X+X

When Marc went back to the kitchen Toni was standing with his back against the island. Matt sat next to him with Alex, Jack and Brittany nearby. He had a beer in his hand that he obviously wasn’t drinking. He was, however, peeling off bits of the label completely ignoring the conversation. Matt leaned over and whispered something in his ear causing Toni to smirk and glance sideways at him. Matt gave him a quick rub on his back before returning his attention the others. Marc grabbed himself a beer and watched from the entry way. They seemed comfortable with each other and Toni didn’t tense up when Matt touched him. Marc downed half his beer and tried to get a hold on the jealousy. He realized how bad he had messed up; he pushed him too hard and lost him for it. He took a deep breath and made his way over to his friends. He tried being happy for Toni. It didn’t work very well.

X+X

Toni just wanted to go home. His lips still tingled from where he touched Marc’s warm skin. He had wanted to give him a real kiss. Pull him close and feel his strong arms around his waist. But he knew it would have been cruel, because he still wasn’t ready for what Marc wanted. Hanging out with Matt was helping. It was nice to have a friend where he could be himself and not feel the pressure he did with Marc.

He wasn’t sure why he let Matt talk him into this, they had only known each other for four days, but it felt like forever. Toni was comfortable with him, felt like he could be himself. Every time they hung out Matt would casually mention another out student at their school. Often sharing stories about how they came out and the reaction. Toni was surprised by how many people in his school were queer. People he had become friends with. Breanna had come out as a lesbian sophomore year, but she hadn’t had a relationship with anyone yet. Simon was bisexual like Marc, even though he was in a steady relationship with Isabelle. Jenny was what they called asexual and Jack considered himself pan-sexual. Matt told Toni about Isabelle and Simon fooling around with Jack at last year’s spring formal. It had helped, but here in the crowd of people his anxiety was growing again.

When Marc came back to the kitchen he joined the conversation with enthusiasm. A little too much gusto if Toni thought about it. Marc tried at act like everything was okay, Toni saw through it. He noticed the dirty looks Matt was getting. After 15 minutes Toni had enough. He turned around and set his beer on the counter, nudging Matt to get his attention.

“Can you give me a ride home? I have to get out of here.” Matt nodded and slid off the island.

After saying a quick goodbye to the others Matt and Toni headed out.

“You alright? Did something happen with Marc?”

“No. I mean, it was fine. But he’s drunk and acting weird.”

“I’m sorry, I thought it would be nice for you to see him, spend some time with him.”

“It was nice. Until he started getting all weird and upset.”

“Why was he upset?”

“I don’t know. He seemed pissed off that you brought me.”

“Oh.”

“Oh what?”

“I know why he was upset.”

“You going to share with the class?” Toni snapped, and winced at how harsh his voice sounded.

“He thought we were there together, like a date and he was jealous.”

“That’s stupid. I told him I’m not dating. Why would he think we were there on a date?”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m sure it was just the alcohol.”

“And people wonder why I don’t drink.” Toni mumbled and stared out the window.

+X+

Monday at lunch a very angry Marc slid into the table in front of Matt.

“Go, now.” He said sharply to the few others at the table, who jumped up and vanished without hesitation. Matt looked at Marc’s face and felt Alex and Jack standing behind him. Marc crossed his arms on the table in front of him leaning towards the smaller boy. His jaw clenched and his eyes narrowed as he studied him.

“Before you say anything, it’s not what you think.” Matt spat out.

“You came to the party together. You left together.”

“I just gave him a ride. I dropped him at home and left.”

“So you didn’t hang out all week after school, at lunch? Texting all the time. Do you stay up late on the phone, falling asleep with him on the other end?” Marc’s voice grew more and more bitter as he went. He felt like he was going to throw up. “Did you...I mean have you...” His fists clenched on the tabletop, he couldn’t even get the words out. The thought of Toni with someone else, even someone he would consider a friend and a good man, made him sick.

“Relax, nothing has happened. There is nothing romantic about our relationship. We’re just friends.”

Marc snorted. “That’s what he said about me. Not that I could even call him that lately. I don’t even have to right to say anything. I mean, he’s allowed to do what he wants. He’s made it perfectly clear he wants nothing to do with me.”

Matt smirked. “Come on, man; don’t play that way with me. I’m not making a move on him, I swear, he’s all yours.”

“But he’s not mine, not really. He doesn’t want that.” Now that he wasn’t angry he felt the pain again growing in his chest. Toni didn’t want him.

Matt took Marc’s hand. “You have nothing to worry about. As far as the gay community in this school is concerned he’s all yours. Even if he wanted someone else, they probably wouldn’t have him.”

“How does that work?” Marc looked sceptical.

“He’s not out, half the guys have no idea he actually is...in our club. And the few that have guessed, well they wouldn’t do that to you. It’s obvious how much you care about him. And how much he cares about you.”

Marc looked up. “How much he... ” He couldn’t finish the sentence; was Matt saying what he hoped he was saying?

“Look, Marc, he’s working on it. But he cares about you, I promise. Just be patient with him.”

Marc sighed. “I’m trying, really I am. But Patience is not one of my strong suits.” Marc felt a smile creep across his face. “So, he’s talked about me? To you. He’s said something.”

“Marc...”

“I know, I know, I’m sorry. I just miss him, Matt.” Marc felt his eyes start to burn. “He’s not avoiding me, but I feel like he barely talks to me anymore. Every time I say anything to him he makes me feel like I’m betraying him.”

“I know. This is a hard situation, for everyone.”

“Just, be good to him, Matt. Don’t hurt him. You take care of him for me. I’d hate to have to kick your ass.” Marc smirked.

“Don’t worry, Marc; I’m keeping my eye on him for you.”

Marc smiled and left Matt to finish his lunch. He still felt jealous, but at least Toni wasn’t dating Matt. He just wished the younger boy would open up to him the way he obviously was opening up to Matt.

X+X

“What the hell did you think you were doing?” Toni cornered Marc coming into the change room after lunch. Grabbing his arm he pulled him around the corner out of sight.

“What?”

“Interrogating Matt like that! Ambushing him in the cafeteria! I forgave you for acting like a jealous ass at that stupid party because you were drunk, but this.... what the hell, Marc?” Toni’s face was red and his grip on Marc’s arm was firm.

“It wasn’t an ambush.” Marc blushed. “I just wanted to talk to him. I had to know what was going on.”

Toni dropped his hand. “Why didn’t you ask me?” His voice was soft but still harsh.

“Because I know I'm acting like a possessive jerk and I didn’t want you to know. I hated the idea of you and Matt together.” Marc looked at his feet, he felt ashamed of himself. “I know now there’s nothing going on.”

“Of course there’s nothing going on! Shit, Marc, do you think so little of me to believe that I would do that to you? Brush you off saying I’m not dating right now then jump into a relationship with the next gay guy I met?”

“No! Of course not!” Marc stammered.

“And forget about me; do you honestly think MATT would do that to you?”

“No, it’s not like that. I mean you were hanging out so much, I mean if you liked him there was nothing you could have done.”

“I like YOU kelp head.” Toni blushed but didn’t look away. Marc couldn’t breathe, it was the first time he had admitted it out loud. He had to cross his arms to stop himself from reaching out for Toni, who took a step closer.

“Look, I’m sorry. I know you don’t understand, and that makes it hard for you, but I just... I just need a little more time. Just bare with me.” Toni gave Marc a small smile and brushed his hand across Marc’s cheek making them both blush. “I do really like you. I guess, I should have said it earlier.”

Marc smiled back. “Alright, Toni, I’ll try harder.”

“Come on, we’re going to be late for class.” Toni turned to leave but Marc took hold of his arm.

“Wait. Just...hold on.” Toni paused and turned back towards him, one eyebrow raised. “Could I just...” He pulled Toni towards him and the smaller boy didn’t fight. Marc pulled Toni into his arms and gave him a tight hug, one hand caressing the back of the smaller boys head. It only lasted a few seconds but when Marc let go and step back both boys were blushing again. “Thank you.” Marc mumbled. Together they headed to class, trying hard not to look at one another.

 
 
Copyright © 2016 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hmm, I don't know, I think I'm still firmly set on Toni never getting with Marc. I'm sure I'm wrong on that, but I just enjoy seeing Marc not get everything he wants. I suppose that's probably somewhat cruel on my part, but Marc needs to be more human for me to like him.

 

I also don't understand the level of connection these two have in the first place. They haven't seemingly spent that much time together at any point, other than the weekend trip. It's actually rather interesting that Matt has become so close with Toni so quickly. From my point of view,
It's been because he approached Toni honestly in the first place (telling Toni he was gay), and has taken the time to get to know him and established a foundation for a friendship. Marc kinda did that, but has also beat around the bush a lot and then come on really strong as well.

 

Maybe Matt could give Marc some tips on how to interact with new people :P

Link to comment

I am glad that it did not blow up to bad. Marc definately needs to ease off a little, but Toni needs to see that he is surounded by caring friends. Marc also needs to trust his friends not to tromp on his emotions. I find it hard to understand Tonis hesitation to show a little more closeness to Marc. With the circle of people that obviously don't care about him liking Marc it seems that a little more attention would be OK. We will see where this goes. Matt could be the best thing for both Marc and Toni by providing an outside view of both over reservation AND over exuberance......

Link to comment

Just binged read all ten chapters WOW you have done a great job creating suspense and maintaining it.
Thanks so much for your literary efforts can't wait til the next chapter is posted.
And I agree Matt could give Marc a few pointers.

Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 05:03 AM, Lux Apollo said:

*phew*

 

Not quite the disaster I worried about. but who knows what you have planned... ;)

:D

Link to comment
On 12/01/2016 10:38 AM, 6819zulu said:

Just binged read all ten chapters WOW you have done a great job creating suspense and maintaining it.

Thanks so much for your literary efforts can't wait til the next chapter is posted.

And I agree Matt could give Marc a few pointers.

Thanks so much! I'm glad you are enjoying it

:)

Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 01:06 AM, spikey582 said:

Hmm, I don't know, I think I'm still firmly set on Toni never getting with Marc. I'm sure I'm wrong on that, but I just enjoy seeing Marc not get everything he wants. I suppose that's probably somewhat cruel on my part, but Marc needs to be more human for me to like him.

 

I also don't understand the level of connection these two have in the first place. They haven't seemingly spent that much time together at any point, other than the weekend trip. It's actually rather interesting that Matt has become so close with Toni so quickly. From my point of view,

It's been because he approached Toni honestly in the first place (telling Toni he was gay), and has taken the time to get to know him and established a foundation for a friendship. Marc kinda did that, but has also beat around the bush a lot and then come on really strong as well.

 

Maybe Matt could give Marc some tips on how to interact with new people :P

Thanks for sharing your point of view, you have given me some things to think about when it comes to how I portray my characters. Its obvious hes not coming off how I was hoping he would.

 

I tried to play on the ability teens seem to have on making seemingly deep bonds quickly. The drama of the weekend is a major bonding experience and teens have a habit of clicking quick. But the way Marc is coming off is messing with that.

 

Thanks for sharing and I hope you can still enjoy tje story (even though you don't like Marc lol). I think you may like a certain situation that comes up)

Link to comment
On 11/30/2016 05:31 AM, wenmale64 said:

I am glad that it did not blow up to bad. Marc definately needs to ease off a little, but Toni needs to see that he is surounded by caring friends. Marc also needs to trust his friends not to tromp on his emotions. I find it hard to understand Tonis hesitation to show a little more closeness to Marc. With the circle of people that obviously don't care about him liking Marc it seems that a little more attention would be OK. We will see where this goes. Matt could be the best thing for both Marc and Toni by providing an outside view of both over reservation AND over exuberance......

Yea, Toni is a scardy-cat. Hang in there!

 

Thanks for reviewing :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..