Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,530 Words
  • 1,314 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has been revised and edited to improve reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way. 30th June 2023.

Lost Soul - John/Christian - 3. Part 3

I hope that you are still reading and enjoying the story, there are more developments to Johns life, is he going to to like them?
Is John going home? or is it just somewhere to live? There is a difference and what is being hidden from John? Read on to find out.

With his arm loosely around Phillip's waist, leaning into him slightly and feeling a strong, protective arm on his shoulder, John walked out of the chapel. As soon as John Watson saw the boy and his brother-in-law, he smiled, knowing, inwardly, that everything was okay. He also noted the look on Phillip's face and had one of those 'light bulb' moments. Christian had also been worried about John, but when he saw him with Phillip, the worry faded away.

“Let's go home.” John Watson went to reach out to John.

Phillip felt an arm tighten around his waist. “Good idea John. Tell you what, why don't you and this young man ride with Christian and me. If that's okay with you. Then Fred can take the other car back to the yard.”

“Good thinking Phil. You go ahead Fred, we'll go with them.”

Later that day, after the authorities had been informed and the required visits made, a worried young man realised, the fears he had that morning were all for nothing. He felt embarrassed but no longer worried. After a good meal, tiredness overcame John, so when Christian left, he went to bed.

As the four remaining adults were enjoying an after-dinner drink, John was deep in thought and glancing between his glass of brandy, Emily and Phillip, when Ethel spoke up. “John, you look as though you want to say something, is something bothering you?”

“No, nothing is bothering me. I was thinking about something, that's all. It's just.... forget I said anything. I'm just a cranky old man overthinking again.”

“Well, if the cranky old man can stop overthinking things, can he give a younger couple some advice, please?” Phillip was smiling happily.

“Yes, of course. Phillip, Emily, what can I help you with?”

“I told you that I quit my job in London, but I didn't tell you why, so let me fill you in on that. Then, I'll let Emily explain the rest.” John nodded for Phillip to continue. “I quit because I'm fed up with working for an ungrateful employer who has his head stuck in the eighteen hundreds and operates more like Dickens's Scrooge than Scrooge himself. By being careful with money, I have managed to save a small nest egg, and with some shrewd investments, I have managed to amass a tidy amount that I can access any time I wish. What I would like to do now is find somewhere that could be a nice family home. Somewhere that I can use as a base to set up my own accounting and financial services company, preferably somewhere central. What do you think? Can you help us find somewhere or advise us where to look?”

“John, before you answer, there is something else that you should know, and again we would be grateful for any help or advice that you and Ethel could give us. Last year Phillip and I underwent a thorough preparatory course and deep background checks to become foster parents in London and did become registered. We put a hold on fostering because we decided to move. Do you think that would help us to become registered here in Manchester or even Salford? I spoke to Ethel about it this morning, and she suggested we ask you for advice.”

It started with a grin that grew into a smile, then John's shoulders shook and jerked as he chuckled to himself and finally ended in a full-blown bellowing fit of laughter.

Emily and Phillip looked on, bemused, as Ethel Stood in front of the laughing man. “John Watson, I don't know what you find so funny, but if you don't stop laughing at my brother and his wife, so help me, I will slap you silly, not that it will take much doing, the state you're in.” Ethel did not understand why John would find it so funny and felt offended for them.

John gave one last chuckle before calming himself, “Sweetheart, I'm certainly not laughing at Emily and Phillip, and I do not think it is funny. You didn't see Phillip with John today at the cemetery. What I do think is funny is that when I saw them together, my first thought was that I think both he and Emily would make great parents, and that is what I was considering saying just a little earlier. I think their idea is the best thing I've heard in a long time.”

Smiling, Ethel kissed John on the cheek. “I'm sorry, John, will you forgive me for getting it wrong.”

John kissed Ethel back, “There is nothing to forgive. You are a good wife to me and a good sister to Emily and Phillip.”

John promised to help, in any way he could, including speaking to a contact in the fostering service. The two couples spent the rest of the evening chatting about Emily and Phillip's plans.

Throughout the following weeks, John attended school and appeared to be settling well into his studies, and his grades were improving. John and Ethel continued their business, giving a caring professional service to those who needed it while also providing a stable, caring home for John. Phillip was busy meeting with previous clients who were loyal to him and wanted to retain his services. There were also meetings with prospective new clients. Most of which resulted in signed contracts. Emily was looking at properties that she hoped could become a new home. Unfortunately, nothing seemed to fit the bill. She had also been making other enquiries. The result was a preliminary meeting which she attended with Phillip. This led to a further meeting where they received the news they wished for.

On evenings and weekends, John enjoyed being in the company of the adults and was treated to days out at Blackpool, Knowsley Safari Park and Alton Towers. Some evenings when he did not have homework, he was taken to the cinema. But to John, his best experience was his first trip to the theatre, a performance of Phantom Of The Opera. He was totally enthralled, and theatre became a passion for him from that night on.

The October half-term school holiday was just days away when Emily received a call which she took in the study. Phillip was at her side as Emily replaced the telephone receiver. “Well, what did they say? Is it good news?”

Emily was speechless, with an emotional knot in her throat and tears of joy in her eyes. All she could do was nod.

“Let's not say anything yet. We have a property to look at tomorrow. I'd like us to look it over first. If it's what we are looking for, it's all systems go. If not, it could scupper our plans, so let's stay tight-lipped until then.” Phillip was calm on the outside, but inside, his stomach was churning with excitement.

Friday before half-term, Emily and Phillip viewed the property in Thomas Street Manchester City Centre. An area with many different businesses, some with accommodation above them others used the space as offices or storage areas. The area was slowly being developed, and the older properties were being renovated and modernised. For them, it ticked all the boxes. The ground floor was shop premises with rear storage that could be converted into offices. Above on the first and second floors, there was a spacious two bedroomed apartment with an attic room that was huge. With a few minor alterations, and redecorating, it could be ready to occupy in less than two months. The next thing to do was to break the news to John, Ethel and John.

Monday morning, John came down to the kitchen for breakfast. He could hear the muffled voices of the adults talking but could not hear what they were saying. It was as if they were whispering. As he entered the kitchen, the talking stopped. The only thought that entered his mind was, 'Have social services found a new home for him? He knew that they were looking for a long-term placement, so this must be it. Was he going to be taken from the place he knew as home and the people he now considered family? The only family he now knew? He sat down to breakfast with a hollow feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Ethel placed breakfast in front of John, and Emily fussed like a mother hen placing a hand on his forehead, she asked, “John, are feeling alright, you're not coming down with something, are you?”

“I'm fine, don't fuss over me, please, don't concern yourself with me.” John was trying to be brave, but the words stuck in his throat, making it uncomfortable to eat breakfast.

John Watson stood as he needed to leave for work. As he rose, he spoke to John. “Well, Johnny-boy, whatever it is that's making you look like you do, I hope you can shake it off. Phillip and Emily need your help today.”

“What help would they need from a useless boy like me.” John's answer was sharp. All of the adults looked at him not just because of his tone but more because of his words.

John Watson placed a hand on John's shoulder and squeezed gently. “I don't know what's got into you today, but I do hope you can shake it off, remember, you are not a 'useless boy'. You are one of the strongest young men that I have ever met, and you are important to everyone around this table, don't forget it.”

As the older man left for work, Phillip spoke up. “John, I do hope you perk up, Emily and I have a few things to do today, and we really could do with your help. It's help that only a young man like you can help with.”

“Yeah, sure.” John still sounded down, but he was trying to 'perk up' as Phillip put it.

John tried to be more cheerful as he accompanied Phillip and Emily. It was not their fault he felt like he did. Everyone had been really good to him, even Christian, who, without knowing it, had broken his heart when he introduced his new girlfriend. Yes, following 'the talk' with Phillip, John had realised he was different and liked boys.

The weather was dull and overcast as they approached a building on Thomas Street. Phillip took out a set of keys unlocking the front door to a shop. It was double-width and stretched back about twenty feet. A door in the middle of the back wall led to a corridor with two small bathrooms on one side and a small kitchen on the other. At the end of the corridor, there were two doors, each leading to a separate large area that could be converted to serve any purpose that may be needed. A rear door led from each area into an enclosed yard with vehicle access.

“Well, John, what do you think?” Asked Phillip.

“It's okay, I suppose, but I don't know why you needed me to tell you what I think.”

“Ah well, what we need your help with is upstairs.”

“Up what stairs? I didn't see any stairs.”

“No, you wouldn't, not in here. Come on, follow us, and we'll show you.”

John followed as Phillip and Emily left the shop and locked it. Using another set of keys, Phillip unlocked the door next to the shop door and led the way. They went up a wide staircase that led to a large reception area. It had four doors leading off it.

The first door opened into a cloakroom with coat hooks on one wall and led to a toilet room with a hand basin. The second door opened into a large open room with windows that let in lots of light and glass doors that opened onto a roof terrace at the rear of the building. The third opened into a smaller but still good-sized room, again with windows that let in a lot of light. The last door opened into a good-sized kitchen that could easily fit a table and chairs for informal dining.

Another stairway led to the next floor, with two doors leading off the hall. Each door opened to a large bedroom with an en-suite bathroom. The rear bedroom also had glass doors that opened onto a small balcony overlooking the rear over the roof terrace.

There was a final stairway that led to three doors in the attic. One led to a large room with a window built into the roof, which let in a reasonable amount of light. A second led into a slightly smaller room. It also had a window set into the roof. The middle door led to a reasonable-sized bathroom. The attic space was well-planned and could almost be an independent apartment. It just lacked independent access.

John found it interesting to look around the building but still could not figure out why he was there.

“Well, John, what do you think?” Phillip was smiling.

“It's huge, and it is nice, but I still don't know why I'm here. Is this where you are going to live?”

“Yes, it is,” Emily replied. “Do you like it?”

“I think it's great. I hope that you will both be happy here.” John was hiding his true feelings. Yes, he liked the building, it had character and felt like it would make a good home. He liked Phillip and Emily. The truth be known, he had grown fond of them and felt 'a connection' that he had not felt since losing his parents. Now he would lose them as well.

Phillip stood next to him, placing an arm over his shoulder. “Emily and I are thinking of fostering a boy about your age, so do you think you could tell me which room a boy like you would like?”

Now John felt even worse, but he smiled, “If it was me, I'd claim the attic as mine. It has a bedroom, a bathroom and a room to use as a study.”

At that point, they heard the shrill sound of a bell. “Phillip, that sounds like our visitor. Would you go and let them in, please.” As Phillip went to open the front door, John could feel tears forming in his eyes and turned to look out of the window.

In his upset, John did not hear anyone enter the room behind him, but he heard a familiar voice. “Good afternoon Emily, Phillip. Has John picked out his room yet?”

John's mind was going nineteen to the dozen, 'what? Has John picked out his room?' He spun around to see his social worker with Phillip and Emily.

He could not believe his eyes or ears and asked his social worker. “Are they going to foster me?” His social worker just nodded.

John flew across the room, diving into the arms of Phillip and Emily. All he could choke out was. “I love you. I love you.” over and over again.

As if on cue, the cloud broke, and the sun shone through the window, glistening off the tears that rolled down John's cheeks. They were happy tears.

It may seem cruel to have kept John 'in the dark', but it may have been more cruel to raise his hopes only to have them dashed if things didn't work out. I'm happy that everything fell into place for Emily and Phillip, they have big hearts so I'm hoping that it all works out for them and more importantly for John.
There is still more to come of John/Christians story, why John/Christian? All will be revealed soon.
I hope you approve of this outcome so please let me know what you think, I really do appreciate all of the reactions and any comments left.
Copyright © 2020 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 12
This story has been revised and edited to improve reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way. 30th June 2023.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Beautiful chapter, @Mancunian! John is very lucky to have found Philip and Emily. Or should that be that Philip and Emily are very lucky to have found John? :unsure2:

I knew the Thomas Street area reasonably well many, many years ago. My grandfather had a greengrocer business in Stockport and, during my school holidays, I would often accompany him to Smithfield wholesale market, which wasn't too far away. If I remember correctly, Tib Street was one of the streets linking the market with Thomas Street. In those days Tib Street was famous for all the pet shops on it. Being absolutely besotted by animals as a child, it was one of my most favourite streets. :) 

Edited by Marty
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Marty said:

Beautiful chapter, @Mancunian! John is very lucky to have found Philip and Emily. Or should that be that Pilipp and Emily are very lucky to have found Philip? :unsure2:

I knew the Thomas Street area reasonably well many, many years ago. My grandfather had a greengrocer business in Stockport and, during my school holidays, I would often accompany him to Smithfield wholesale market, which wasn't too far away. If I remember correctly, Tib Street was one of the streets linking the market with Thomas Street. In those days Tib Street was famous for all the pet shops on it. Being absolutely besotted by animals as a child, it was one of my most favourite streets. :) 

Lol, I'm going to check for errors now, it's definitely John is lucky too have found Phillip and Emily, but I think they are lucky to have met John. 😀

The building that the premises have been based on is actually a jewellers at present, however I may have embellished the description of the floor plan, :whistle: and yes Tibb Street is close by, I have vague recollections of the pet shops but unfortunately they no longer exist, except for possibly one.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I can understand why Phillip and Emily were keeping quiet about their plans.  I was glad that John had only a short time to stress  about what would happen before he found out the truth.  Their new location and family will probably face challenges, but it sounds as if Phillip and Emily's plans have a great chance for success.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I can understand why Phillip and Emily were keeping quiet about their plans.  I was glad that John had only a short time to stress  about what would happen before he found out the truth.  Their new location and family will probably face challenges, but it sounds as if Phillip and Emily's plans have a great chance for success.

This is the start of a future for all of them together, I hope that like me you will wish them well.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Emily and Phillip were rewarded for their patience with a new business premises and seemingly a beautiful new home, but the piece de resistance surely must have been the "I love you, I love you" from the mouth of their new foster son. My damn allergies played up again reading this or perhaps it was the joy of seeing my Kiki eating well after having been sick off and on for the past week.

Delightful chapter @Mancunian

  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Emily and Phillip were rewarded for their patience with a new business premises and seemingly a beautiful new home, but the piece de resistance surely must have been the "I love you, I love you" from the mouth of their new foster son. My damn allergies played up again reading this or perhaps it was the joy of seeing my Kiki eating well after having been sick off and on for the past week.

Delightful chapter @Mancunian

I didn't like keeping John in the dark at the start of the chapter, but it was done with the best of intentions. I think John's reaction at the end was the best part. I'd keep the tissues handy if I were you, just in case those allergies bother you again while reading. :gikkle:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Although a bit worrisome at first, the chapter ended on a very happy note.  And I love seeing the comments by @Summerabbacat, @Marty, and @raven1 on this chapter.  They always have comments well worth reading.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Although a bit worrisome at first, the chapter ended on a very happy note.  And I love seeing the comments by @Summerabbacat, @Marty, and @raven1 on this chapter.  They always have comments well worth reading.

I love seeing and reading all of the comments from readers, yours too. I'm happy that you like the happy note the chapter ended on, I enjoyed writing this chapter.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It’s amazing that so many people seem to have allergies related to happy occurrences. I count myself among those.

Of course, young John was probably the only one who didn’t see what was coming. But it was still well done.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 3/11/2024 at 2:08 PM, ReaderPaul said:

Although a bit worrisome at first, the chapter ended on a very happy note.  And I love seeing the comments by @Summerabbacat, @Marty, and @raven1 on this chapter.  They always have comments well worth reading.

Thanks, @ReaderPaul! I love to see your comments here, too.  John/Christian is a pivotal character in The Boot series and one of my favourite characters because he is a catalyst for change.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

It’s amazing that so many people seem to have allergies related to happy occurrences. I count myself among those.

Of course, young John was probably the only one who didn’t see what was coming. But it was still well done.

Hi Lee! I'm happy to see you here.  I'm working with Mancunian on a rewrite of The Boot, Three Years On, and I am currently suffering from those allergies you mentioned.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Lee Wilson said:

It’s amazing that so many people seem to have allergies related to happy occurrences. I count myself among those.

Of course, young John was probably the only one who didn’t see what was coming. But it was still well done.

With the trauma that young John has been, and to a degree still is, going through he was probably blinkered to much of what was going on around him. Emily and Philip did not want to build John's hopes up in case anything spoiled their plans. I'm happy to say their plans worked out.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raven1 said:

Hi Lee! I'm happy to see you here.  I'm working with Mancunian on a rewrite of The Boot, Three Years On, and I am currently suffering from those allergies you mentioned.

with the time of year I'm calling my allergies hay fever, lol. :gikkle:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, raven1 said:

Hi Lee! I'm happy to see you here.  I'm working with Mancunian on a rewrite of The Boot, Three Years On, and I am currently suffering from those allergies you mentioned.

Cool, maybe I’ll wait for that to be complete. I’d guess whatever you do will probably compound those allergies.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..