Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,658 Words
  • 1,480 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has been revised and edited to improve reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way. 30th June 2023.

Lost Soul - John/Christian - 7. Part 7

Writing this story has been something of a roller coaster for me, there have been highs and there have been lows, I know I felt all of them as I wrote it and this part even had the hairs on body stand on end for part of it. Anyway less of my chat let's get on with it.
After the latest events in Christian's life we are now at the end of his story before The Boot, I hope that you approve and enjoy it.
N.B. Keep the tissues handy.

The boy lay in bed with his head tightly tucked under the covers. He could feel the heat rapidly building but did not know where it was coming from. All he knew was that he was too scared to move. He heard loud voices outside, and then he heard the glass of his bedroom window smash as it fell across his bed that lay directly underneath it. Strong hands gripped him as he was ripped from the bed, and the voices got louder as he was passed around. Every pass gave him a weird feeling that went from the pit of his stomach through his body up the back of his neck ending in the back of his head, a feeling not unlike being on a roller coaster. Everything was a blur, and he hurt, not physical pain. It was emotional pain from deep inside him. A strange and surreal feeling came over him as he saw the caravan glowing and engulfed in flames before it exploded.

Then that strange 'roller coaster' feeling overcame him again, and he was lying on the wet ground staring at the marker on his parent's grave. He was running when a familiar-looking man held him and started speaking, the words could not be heard as they sounded like a loud, unintelligible mumbling, but he felt calmer looking into the man's eyes. Those eyes conveyed promises of love, happiness, and so much more.

Then there was that feeling again. This time, there was panic. He was now a grown man, driving a car on a long road passing hills and mountains. That feeling got him again as the car morphed into a plane, and when he looked out of the windows, the mountains had become clouds. That strange feeling was now coming in waves, and he was standing in church next to the man who made promises with his eyes. Those eyes were crying as they gazed at a coffin. When he looked at the people on his other side, they were very familiar, and he felt close to them, but they shimmered as if they were not really there, and then they vanished.

Then faces began appearing. His birth parents. Aunt Ethel and Uncle John. His mom and dad. All had said the same thing to him before fading away. “We love you, and we will always watch over you.”

“NNNNNOOOOOO.” Christian sat bolt upright in bed, his head in his hands, crying. “I love you too. Why do you have to leave me? Why?” Christian's body shook as he cried. The detail of his dream became hazy, and he continued to cry.

The door opened quietly. Gary stepped into the bedroom. “Christian, how are you feeling?” Gary moved lightly across the room and sat on the bed next to his friend taking him in his arms and hugging him. The way that good friends do.

“I'm feeling alone, lost and deserted. In short, Gary, I feel like shit.” Understandably Christian looked like a mess. His clothes were rumpled from sleeping in them, his usually smart, impeccable hair was all over the place, and his eyes were puffy and red from crying. “What happened to him, Gary. What happened to my dad? He was fit and healthy, and I thought he was starting to enjoy life again.”

“I don't know Chris, and I know what you mean about him being fit and healthy. What I do know is this. He lost his sparkle when your mom died, and never seemed to get that back. We both know how much he loved her and that he was still in love with her when she died. As he died at home, there will have to be an autopsy. But in my opinion, although it's not a recognised medical condition. I think he died of a broken heart.” Gary's tears ran down his face and wet his friend's hair as they hugged.

“Where is he, Gary. I need to see him and say goodbye. Please, take me to him.”

“I will. You go wash your face and smarten yourself up, then we can go. I'll be waiting in the lounge.” Gary left Christian's bedroom and returned to the lounge where Eduardo was nervously waiting. When a hysterical Christian called earlier that night, they were still in the taxi together. Eduardo insisted on accompanying Gary on his mission of mercy.

“How is Señor Christian? I know he has to be upset, but will he be okay?” Eduardo's voice was full of concern and sorrow. He knew the pain of losing a parent. He worked for his grandfather Jorge, who he affectionately called Papa so that he could support his Mami and himself.

“He will be okay Eduardo. He will be given time, lots of time.”

When Christian entered the lounge, he was surprised by Eduardo but felt comforted as the young waiter crossed the room, enveloping him in his arms as he spoke. “Señor Christian, I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I know that you loved your Papi and that you will miss him. We will all miss Señor Phillip, but I do know this, he will always be with you Señor Christian, here, in your heart.” As he spoke those words, he touched Christian on his chest directly over his heart and lightly kissed him on the cheek. It was a brief, fleeting kiss of compassion from someone who understood his loss.

Gary Called for a taxi to take them to Manchester Royal Infirmary, where he made arrangements, enabling Christian to see his father in the viewing area of the hospital mortuary.

The following day Christian called Watson's Funeral Services to start putting everything into place for the funeral. He was dreading the future, particularly the next few days. When Ethel and John Watson passed away, the business was given to Christian's childhood crush and namesake Christian Watson.

Later that day, when the two men met, they hugged tightly and wept for their own, and each other's loss. It was then that the younger of the two Christians learned that his father had already made his funeral plans. All that remained was for the elder of the two men to put those plans into action when they were allowed.

When the funeral took place, it was an emotional affair attended by many of the top businessmen in the North West of England and some from the South and London. They were not just Clients of Phillip's company. They were friends, some closer than others. Jorge, Eduardo and Eduardo's Mami were there from Gaucho Restaurant, as were half of the staff. All of them held the family in high esteem. Many had received advice, and physical help from them and felt Christian's loss.

Christian's grief felt never-ending, and once again, he turned to Jeff Smith, the counsellor who helped him when his mother passed away. During one of his sessions with Jeff, he learned of Jeff's nighttime activities on the streets of Manchester.

“Jeff, can I come with you sometimes? I'd like to know what it is that you do?”

“Why would you want to do that Christian? It's not easy work. It takes it out of you emotionally. I know that I often feel drained by it, that's why counselling is only a part-time thing for me.”

“I don't know really. I just feel that although I've been put through the mill a bit throughout my life, I've been lucky. Dad always said that it made him feel good when he helped others. It was something that his family got brought up to do, so I'd like to honour him by trying to continue some of that tradition.”

“Okay, but dress down a bit and wear some cheaper clothes, or you will stand out too much and do not let anyone know your real name, or some will try to take advantage of you.”

Reverting to using his birth name Christian became John. Accompanying Jeff two or three times a week. They went out in Jeff's car, served hot drinks and sandwiches to people who lived on the street and sometimes spoke with them, learning of their troubles. Jeff sometimes gave advice. 'John', had developed the persona of a young man who sometimes slept on the streets but also 'sofa surfed' in his friend's homes, something that he hoped would never end.

'John', enjoyed what he did and started to fund Jeff's work which he expanded. One night, 'John' witnessed what he felt was tragic, and the words of one of the people he helped Jeff to help, rang out in his ears.

“We might have lost everything we have, but we still have our dignity. If I ever see anyone behave like this again and treat any of our fellow street people badly, you will have me to deal with.” The scruffy but smart if that’s possible, man, returned to speak to the people with the food. “I’m sorry, but I have standards, and nobody, especially a lady, should be treated the way that everyone, especially Bill, has treated this lady tonight.”

John was shocked and ran home, touched by the wisdom and words of this man tears streaked his face as he succumbed to restless sleep. He felt guilty for having the wealth that he had. Thanks to his father's hard work, and shrewd investments, Christian owned one of the most successful accounting and financial advising businesses in the north of the country. He owned a lot of property, land, and buildings, and he had a trust fund that meant he lived very comfortably and would last well beyond his life. There were no restrictions on how he used his trust fund or what he could withdraw from it.

When Christian woke the next day, he had some idea of what he wanted to do, but he needed to speak to Jeff. His help and advice were crucial.

We now know John/Christian's back story and discovered the origins of The Boot. Yes there is more to come in John/Christian's life, for that you will need to read The Boot and The Boot - Three Years On. I don't know yet where his story will end, or how, we will see what the future dictates.
I hope that everyone enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please leave your thoughts and comments as I love to hear from you, all of your comments are appreciated and read and I promise to acknowledge each one.
Take care and I'll see you at The Boot.
Copyright © 2020 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 10
  • Sad 1
This story has been revised and edited to improve reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way. 30th June 2023.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Lovely story, we got to see the beginnings of The Boot and the reasoning behind John/Christian.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, CincyKris said:

Lovely story, we got to see the beginnings of The Boot and the reasoning behind John/Christian.

Your comments are really appreciated, thank you. John/Christian's story is one that has a lot of sorrow in it but it also contains a lot of the most important thing that we all need and that is unconditional love. All of those experiences are what made him into the man he is and will continue to be. Jeff is the man who is behind the original concept of The Boot, Christian's support helped to take things to another level. With Christian's values he would not wish to take any of the credit away from Jeff.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Great finish to the story as we now know how Chris became part of The Boot family.  

Like all of us Christian has experienced some low times in his life, but let's remember that he also had many of life good experiences too, the most important being unconditional love. It our life experiences and how we deal with them that make us the people we are, the same is true of Christian and the other characters in this and other stories.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Through great personal loss and emotional suffering for one so young, Christian aka John emerged triumphant ready to help others less fortunate than himself in honour of his adoptive father's ethos. A modern day Jesus in some respects if the account of his life is to be believed. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Christian is a remarkable young man, he knows what he has lost, but he also knows the joy of what he had. Naturally as the author I will say that it is to be believed, but then it is fiction.

The character Christian is loosely based on a mix of a few different people that I have known and consider myself lucky to have met. That is the case fo many, but not all, of my characters.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I read this story once before but out of context with the other parts of the main story. Now that I understand it, I appreciate it better. I look forward to additional reading in the immediate future.

 

It is a story, book, compendium worth following.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Endoman said:

I read this story once before but out of context with the other parts of the main story. Now that I understand it, I appreciate it better. I look forward to additional reading in the immediate future.

 

It is a story, book, compendium worth following.

Thank you for the comments @Endoman, comments like this are very encouraging. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
ReaderPaul

Posted (edited)

I have been reading this on and off all day, Craig, but on my phone.  It takes so much longer on my phone to comment than on my home computer.

I have over the years been friends with a number of persons who work at various charitable agencies.  There are some who try to go from place to place "skimming" help, and others who truly need help and use it to improve themselves and others.  The first of these are the "Carls" of the world or sometimes, the female equivalents.

This is a touching story.  I am reminded of a boy who grew up in my community whose mother killed his father, then herself.  Fortunately, relatives of the father and friends immediately stepped in to help and the boy is now a man of respected care in the area.  His mother had been in and out of psychiatric help over the years, and he seems to have his late father's caring attitude instead of his mother's mental problems.  But he was quite scarred by the experiences.

I look forward to reading the rest of your stories.  Thank you for giving me the suggested reading order for them.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

I have been reading this on and off all day, Craig, but on my phone.  It takes so much longer on my phone to comment than on my home computer.

I have over the years been friends with a number of persons who work at various charitable agencies.  There are some who try to go from place to place "skimming" help, and others who truly need help and use it to improve themselves and others.  The first of these are the "Carls" of the world or sometimes, the female equivalents.

This is a touching story.  I am reminded of a boy who grew up in my community whose mother killed his father, then herself.  Fortunately, relatives of the father and friends immediately stepped in to help and the boy is now a man of respected care in the area.  His mother had been in and out of psychiatric help over the years, and he seems to have his late father's caring attitude instead of his mother's mental problems.  But he was quite scarred by the experiences.

I look forward to reading the rest of your stories.  Thank you for giving me the suggested reading order for them.

Thank you for the comments, Paul. I appreciate your reading and the comments you have left.

Your friend's observations of the guests/service users are accurate. Many use the help and support wisely to improve their situation, and some return as volunteers or staff. Unfortunately, some will selfishly use the available support just because they can whether they need it or not.

As you point out there are people in real life who experience tragedy in their lives but with the right help and support can go on to have a good and productive life. But as you also point they are scarred by their experience, sometimes for life as their experiences can be very difficult to live with. You will see this, to a degree, as you read through other stories from The Boot World.

I'm looking forward to your comments as you read through the stories. Please feel free to comment further, I will always reply, or PM me if you prefer.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

A wonderful end to this chapter in Christian’s life. It’s great knowing he will be using his wealth to help the less fortunate.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

A wonderful end to this chapter in Christian’s life. It’s great knowing he will be using his wealth to help the less fortunate.

I think that helping others is something that will help Christian too. He is a good man who knows he has been fortunate even though he has suffered.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..