Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,085 Words
  • 943 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has been revised and edited to improve reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way. 30th June 2023.

Lost Soul - John/Christian - 6. Part 6

My apologies for the extended delay in posting the continuing story of Christian/John.
An episode from Christian's past that brings someone important into his story.
Christian reconnects with an old friend and in a strange way affects the lives of three people, intrigued? Read on, his back story will come to an end soon.

Grief took its toll on Christian and Phillip, each trying to deal with matters in their own way. Christian withdrew into himself, refusing to go out, eating very little and letting his personal standards drop to an all-time low. Phillip's concern for his son grew, and he enlisted the help of a grief counsellor recommended by his GP.

Jeff Smith was a man, big in stature and personality but gentle in his approach to his clients. His eyes were his biggest asset as they conveyed genuine empathy drawing everyone in and making them feel at ease as they discussed their innermost feelings. This helped him to be a good counsellor and bring calm to many situations allowing his clients to bring closure to feelings of grief in their own way at their own pace. Christian's counselling took many consultations over a long period of time. He was grieving for his current loss and still grieving for his loss as a child of his natural parents.

Knowing that his son was in good hands and getting the help he needed, Phillip was left to deal with the grief of losing his best friend, his wife, who he loved dearly. Unable to deal with his grief Phillip did what many men did and put all of his efforts into his work, drinking to numb the pain and to help him sleep at night.

Christian was making good progress and feeling calmer. He was even putting on some of the weight that he had lost. That was when Christian noticed how his father had been dealing with the loss and worried about him. They had several long conversations before Phillip agreed to see the same counsellor that he had arranged for Christian and cut back on his long work hours. Although he continued to drink heavily, which Christian had never noticed before.

Over the next few months, Christian continued to improve, slowly reverting back to his 'normal self'. Phillip also started to improve and even cut back on his drinking, which benefited both men.

Feeling more at ease with himself. Christian decided to look up one of his friends from uni. He always found it easy to get on well with people around him, and his thoughts drifted, thinking about Gary Evans and wondering how he was getting on. Gary had a clear vision of his future and went on to study to become a doctor. Christian felt a twinge of jealousy as he never had the determination that Gary had and was still unsure of what direction to take in his working life, or lack of it, as Christian had never had more than a Saturday job as a teenager and working part-time in a local convenience store when at uni which was where they first met. Christian smiled as he dialled the number, knowing it would never change. Gary had paid a lot of money for his personalised number, 0 – 7 – 8 – 0 – 9 – 1 – 1 – 9 – 9 – 9. Christian waited for the call to connect and felt relieved when he heard the ringing tone and knew what the greeting would be.

“Well, hello there, how's the poor rich kid. You've left it a while before calling, so to what do I owe the honour?” Friendly humour was evident in Gary's voice.

“Hello to you too, you slutty reprobate.” Christian felt good knowing that his friend had not changed. “I'm good now, thanks, hearing your voice always straightens me out.” He was grinning as he spoke, appreciating his friend's light humour.

“Ha, you straight, that'll be the day. But seriously, I'm glad you called. I've been worried about you. I heard about your mom. I know how close you were, but then you seemed to fall off the radar. I'm sorry that I didn't come to the funeral. I was in the middle of my final exams, and you are now talking to a fully qualified doctor, so stop insulting me. I'm offended.” Gary was definitely not offended. The laughter in his voice betrayed that.

The friendly banter continued for over an hour as the two friends chatted. Gary had remained in Manchester doing his internship at the MRI (Manchester Royal Infirmary). He was about to start a paid position as a junior doctor under the consultant he interned with. Being in the same city, they agreed to meet the following Friday for a meal and drinks, allowing Gary to introduce his current partner and for them to have a proper face-to-face catch-up.

When the men met up at Gaucho, it started with the usual friendly argument over who was paying the bill. Just as Gary was about to swear, Christian placed a finger on Gary's lips. “Sshh, remember you're in church now.”

Just as the two men burst into laughter, Gary's current partner Carl piped up. “What are two on about this is just a restaurant. A very expensive one, but it's still a restaurant.”

Both men laughed even more, and Gary explained, “Yes, it's a restaurant, but if you didn't notice on the way in, it used to be a church. As such most people that come here still respect the building's previous usage and show respect by moderating their behaviour and language, and most people that come here are not your usual steak house crowd. They come from money and behave better anyway.” Carl just looked at him bemused, shrugging his shoulders.

As they entered, Christian spoke to the man at the door, “I have a table for three booked. The name is Edwards.”

Without checking the booking register, the man straightened his stance and smiled. “Yes, Señor Edwards, sir, we have the usual table ready for you. I will ask my best member of staff to escort you.” as he raised a hand, a young man in tight black trousers and an equally tight white shirt arrived to escort them through the restaurant.

As they walked through, the young man spoke. “Welcome back Señor Edwards. I... we have missed you.” Blushing, he continued. I hope that we serve you well tonight.”

Christian smiled as he replied. “Thank you, Eduardo, I am sure that you will. You always do, and how is my favourite Gaucho tonight?”

Blushing an even deeper shade of red, Eduardo replied. “I am good, thank you, Señor. Even better for the opportunity to serve you tonight.” His eyes were transfixed on Christian as he spoke, showing that he clearly adored, no scrub that, worshipped Christian.

Eduardo knew his job and clientele well. As they approached the stairs that lead to the altar or upper level, he scooted ahead to pull out a chair for Christian. As he sat, Eduardo continued to another seat.“ Welcome Señor Gary. I hope you enjoy your meal.” He then moved to the third seat for Carl. “Welcome Señor. I think this is your first visit. I hope that you enjoy your meal and return to see us again. Should you need anything, please let me know, and I will do all I can to help you.”

Looking at Eduardo lustfully as he left, he answered. “Thank you, Eduardo. I'll be sure to let you know.”

Christian already had a bad feeling about Carl, but the exchange and look in his eye made him instantly distrust him.

As was usual, Eduardo returned with menus that did not contain the price of the dishes available. He first presented Christian with his menu, then continued to Gary and Carl. It was not hard to read or understand the menu, but Carl insisted on enlisting Eduardo's help to place his order, moving closer to him all the time. Christian was watching very closely.

As the meal progressed, Christian and Gary continued to chat, catching up on events in each other's lives. Although they tried to include Carl, it was awkward as he knew very little of their history together and even less about Christian's past. Carl drank most of the wine that had been ordered and 'summoned' Eduardo ordering him to bring another bottle as he had emptied the one on the table.

“Take it easy on the wine Carl. We're going to Canal Street for drinks when we leave here.” Gary was calm but annoyed at Carl. This showed in his tone.

“Oh, take it easy yourself, Gary. Drinking is all I can do while you two chat away. Anyway, this cutie enjoys serving us.”

As Eduardo returned with another bottle of Amarone Della Valpolicella DOCG Cabernet Sauvignon, not the most expensive wine on the menu but close to it, Carl was leering over him. As was usual, Eduardo tended to the host's guests before tending to the host. Uneasily Eduardo went to Carl to pour him a glass of wine. When Eduardo started pouring wine into Gary's glass Christian could not believe what he saw. Carl's hand instantly lifted and grabbed Eduardo's crotch. Understandably Eduardo shrieked as he jumped, letting go of the bottle, which promptly landed on the table, smashing and covering everyone in the full-bodied red wine.

Enraged, Christian stood. “Carl, what the hell do you think you are doing? You do not behave like that in here or disrespect anyone like that.”

“Chris, what's going on?” Gary also jumped and stared at the wine on his clothes.

“It's Carl. He just grabbed at Eduardo.” Christian was livid. “Eduardo, are you okay?”

“I am sorry Señor, it was an accident.” Eduardo was mortified and on the verge of tears.

“Chill guys. He was just a bit surprised, that's all. I'll bet he enjoyed it though.” Carl was mocking them.

Gary flew across the table, but before he could reach Carl, he felt many strong hands gripping him and pulling him back. “Carl, you do not disrespect me, my friends and their hospitality or any member of staff in this or any establishment. I think we are finished. Get out, and don't even think about contacting me again.”

Jorge (pronounced horhey), the man from the door, spoke up, “Señor Edward, Señor Gary, please remain seated. Eduardo spoke to us earlier, and we have been watching your 'guest'. We hoped that Eduardo was mistaken. Please allow us to deal with this 'gentleman' while we reinstate your table. As was our original intention since we have not had the pleasure of your company for a while, your meal and the wine is on the house tonight to welcome you back.” Shifting his gaze to Eduardo. “Eduardo, please do not concern yourself with what has happened. We will deal with matters, and you should go home to Mami and calm down, come and see me when you return tomorrow. Please know that you have done nothing wrong.” Then Jorge glared at Carl. “You will accompany my colleagues and leave our establishment, never to return.”

Jorge's 'colleagues' escorted Carl out through a side door. He never did contact Gary again.

Although still angry, Gary was trying to calm down as he spoke to Eduardo. “I'm sorry for how he treated you, Eduardo. Do you have a change of clothes, and how will you get home tonight?”

“I am fine Señor Gary. Please, do not concern yourself.”

“I am concerned Eduardo, you are a lovely sweet young man, and he shouldn't have treated you like that. I am taking you home, and I will replace the uniform that has been ruined.” Pleading with Jorge, Gary continued. “Señor Jorge, please tell Eduardo that he must join Christian and me so that I can make amends.”

“Eduardo, I know that you pride yourself in looking after our guests, so I think you should listen to Señor Gary and do as he requests.” Jorge then left the table, smiling at Gary and Christian, but not before he winked at Eduardo.

Nobody heard the whispered, “Yes, Papa." from Eduardo.

Eduardo joined Gary and Christian and they made their way to the foyer. There, a quiet dispute took place as two taxis were ordered. One for Christian and one for Gary and Eduardo. The dispute ended with Christian accepting that Gaucho's would not accept payment and Gaucho's accepting Christian's tip of one hundred pounds, to be distributed between the staff.

That night on the way home, Gary discovered that he had just met his lifetime partner. Nobody could tell who was happier, Eduardo or Gary.

Christian still felt unnerved by the evening's events, but nothing could prepare him for what awaited him at home.

I hope that this gives more of an insight into Christian's past and makes him the man that he is. a very caring individual. It also gives a bit of background on other characters of The Boot and The Boot Three Years On.
The Boot Three Years On will also continue and new chapters will be posted in the reasonably near future.
Thank you to all who read, please let me know what you think of the story so far, I love to hear from you.
Copyright © 2020 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 2
This story has been revised and edited to improve reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way. 30th June 2023.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I was wondering how and when Chris met Dr. Gary Evans.  Carl was just another leach.  It's nice to know that Gary acted honorably and will end up with Edwardo.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I was wondering how and when Chris met Dr. Gary Evans.  Carl was just another leach.  It's nice to know that Gary acted honorably and will end up with Edwardo.

Chris and Gary were good friends in the past, it's just a shame that they lost touch with each other, but hey the good news is they are in contact again and their friendship flourishes. As for Gary and Eduardo well, let's just say love can sometimes be found when you least expect it.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Simon and Carl, two peas from the same pod. Leaches both, they will probably end up like Bill unless they become very wealthy and "buy" their friends and lovers.

I fear Phillip is dead and this is what Christian will find upon returning home. Phillip a workaholic and now possibly an alcoholic, a recipe for a potential fatal heart attack. I hope I am wrong.

I am sure Gary and Eduardo will make a charming couple, seemingly with the approval of papa Jorge.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Unfortunately, you are right about Carl. 

I think you are right about Gary and Eduardo, it won't be a spoiler if I tell you they are together for a long time.

We have to wait until Christian arrives home before we find out what's happened, but it does sound ominous.

  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..