Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Hot Mess - 12. Chapter 12 - The Game

Travis wanted to surprise his suspect’s step mother. He waited outside the Baker family’s mansion and when he spotted her car pull in, he followed suit.

Nina was not perturbed at finding a suited up man getting out of the car behind her. In fact it was the detective who was intrigued. The photos did not do her justice; Nina Baker was one stunning woman. It wasn’t so much the precision of her features as it was her schooled expression, her carriage and of course world class fashion sense that gave her the air of a movie star.

“Can I help you?” She asked, giving away nothing.

Travis flashed his badge. “I’m Detective Travis Johnson. I was hoping to have a chat with you regarding your step-on.”

“I was expecting to be called in. I’ve been back for three days. You people are slow. Why don’t you follow me inside and we can chat over some tea?”

“Sure.”

Once inside Travis was again struck by the panache of the woman in front of him. She removed her coat and turned around, the well maintained brown mane of hers swiveled alluringly.

“You don’t mind if I freshen up quickly, do you? The door to your right is the living room. I can join you there in five minutes.”

Travis understood what was going on here. He was being ordered around. This woman was a match for her husband in all regards; except for the age difference of course.

In the luxuriously furnished room, the young detective decided to remain standing in wait of the lady he wished to question. Nina returned with two crystal glasses of what looked like whisky.

“You don’t mind do you?” Nina smiled wickedly.

“I do. i'm on duty.” Travis hardened his eyes and stance.

“Well then. I’ll have to finish both” saying so Nina sat down and folded one of her legs under her seat. “Can’t waste thirty year old bourbon. Is sitting down also not allowed while you’re on duty?”

“Why did you help your stepson hide from the police?”

“Straight to the point then. I know how this looks. But that was all his doing. He’s close to my brother and knew the family was out and the house was empty.”

“I’d advise you to resist the urge to lie, Mrs. Baker. Your step-son is in trouble. You could join him.”

“What information can I provide? He’s admitted to killing Tiffany.”

Nina appeared non-chalant and met Travis’s gaze, openly.

“Do you think your step-son could’ve been poorly advised?”

“Meaning?”

“Someone could’ve egged him on. I don’t see any motive behind him killing his father’s employee.”

“You want me to supply you with one?” Nina seemed like she was enjoying this interrogation.

“By all means, feel free.”

“Tiffany was often in the house, she was my husband’s gofer. She liked to dress provocatively. Mike is a teenager. Can you guess his feelings towards her?”

“Were they friends?”

“I don't know. Maybe you should ask Greg that question, he was there after all, wasn’t he? I can only speculate. Much like you, I’m also wondering, why. I can’t imagine someone as smart as Mike resorting to killing just because he got caught with a fake ID.”

“He was scared of his father.”

“Yes. But Mike’s a man with perspective.”

Travis paused for a moment to digest what he was hearing.

“When did you last speak to Mike?”

For the first time, Nina lost her composure.

“When do you think?”

“I want to hear it from you.”

They engaged in a good old fashioned stand off as neither person gave in.

“I’m not going to incriminate myself.”

“Why didn’t you inform the police of his whereabouts?”

“I hope you appreciate that I’m speaking to you without a lawyer. That’s because I don’t wish to hide anything. I want to cooperate.”

“I will appreciate it if answer me.”

Travis waited. With a sigh his opponent in this sparring match decided to give in.

“Hypothetically speaking, if I’d known where he was I couldn’t have given up his confidence. What kind of a person would that make me?”

“A law abiding one.”

“Detective...”

“Johnson.”

“Yes, that’s all I have for you. Nothing more without my lawyer.”

“I may come with a warrant next time. For obstructing justice. We’ve got phone records from your brother’s place. Calls were made to the house while Mike was there. Calls from Milan.”

“All of your evidence is circumstantial.”

“You wanna bet on that?”

Travis left the room in confident strides, but he was perplexed. He did not know whose side Nina Baker was on. He was hoping his partner would be getting more answers than he had.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mallory Smith was meeting the now fired Body Guard of the murder suspect, a hunky black man who went by the name of Avery. Though he easily towered over the detective, he greeted her politely and let her into his apartment without any resistance.

“Is it about the Baker boy?” he asked.

“Yes. Have you found another job yet?”

“Nothing permanent. Bouncing at a bar right now. The agency keeps tossing scrap my way, keeps things rolling.”

“That’s good. Tell me, Avery, what do you remember about the day of the incident?”

“Ah, we was coming back from the shooting competition when Mike said he wanted to go to Greg’s. I doubled as his driver so I took him there. The boys took off with the car when I was using the restroom.”

“You didn’t try to follow?”

“How? They took the car.”

“You could have called a cab.”

“I did. But, I didn’t know where to go.”

“Where did you go?”

“Back to the Bakers. Nobody was home.”

“Not even the servants?”

“I saw no one.”

“When did you find out what had happened?”

“Next day. Cops came. Questioned all the employees.”

Mallory did not feel like Avery had much else to offer about the incident.

“Did you spend a lot of time with Mike?”

“Yea.”

“Do you like him?”

“Nope. Never did.”

“Why?”

“He’s the Golden boy. Always acting smart, making me look dumb. What’s there to like?”

“What about your employer, Mike’s father?”

“Never met him.”

“And Mrs. Baker?”

“Pretty lady.”

Mallory gave the man a level stare. She started off feeling that Avery was a simple man of few words. Now he seemed smugger. She did not like him.

“Have you interacted with her much?”

“Not a whole lot. I mean I was around the boy and she was often home when I was at their place. She’s a classy lady. Always polite.”

“Hmm. And Tiffany, the deceased. Had you ever seen her?”

“Sure. She was fucking the Baker boy.”

“What?”

“You guys didn’t know that?” Avery finally smiled. But he wiped it off his face when a dagger of a look was shot at him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The case had just turned on its head. Mallory, Travis and Jason were all huddled inside the Sargent’s office.

“It’s not your fault , Det. Smith. You did not question the body guard the first time.”

“But I should have followed up on the angle. It’s an important detail in the case and we didn’t know.”

“It’s alright, Mal. There's still a lot more to cover form here.”

Jason directed an appreciative smile towards his new lower and his gaze lingered just a little bit. Travis scowled and started talking fast. “There’s one thing though. Why would Tiffany threaten Mike? She had more to lose with him being a minor if their relationship came to light. And why is Mike lying?”

“So is Greg”, added Jason.

That brought a lull in the conversation.

“What are we missing here?” Mallory started. “Mike is too ready to admit he killed his lover, but he gave a flimsy motive. The only person who was on the crime scene corroborated it.”

Travis chipped in. “Don’t forget, the woman who got killed was also likely sleeping with the father.”

Jason chimes in, “The step mother meanwhile could have been abetting, at least in his hiding.”

“Yea, I don’t know about her. She… I got weird vibes from her.”

Mallory raised a brow. “You want us to go with your vibes when there’s a couple of other leads in front of us?”

Travis nodded. “You’re right. Let’s go after Greg and Mike first.”

The detectives turned to their Boss to see if he had more to add.

“Alright! Bring in Greg. Get tough on Mike, but I’d still recommend bringing in Mrs. Baker for further questioning. The way this case is going, I’ll not be surprised if another angle opens up.”

With a nod Mallory took her leave. Travis hung back. Finally alone, the new lovers exchanged a shy smile.

“What time do you plan to wrap up tonight?” Jason queried.

“I need to leave around six. Jenna’s flight lands at 6.45.”

“Oh shoot. I forgot about that. The big sister is coming. Should I be scared?”

“I would be if I were you.”

They badly wanted to kiss right then but this was not the place for it.

“Call me later? In the night whenever you’re free?” Jason was not shy about showing his growing need for Travis.

The younger man ducked his head. Smiling shyly he said, “Yes” and excused himself from the room. When he got back at his desk he had a carefully schooled expression, not wishing to give away his relationship with Jason. But one look from Mallory and he was blushing. The woman just shook her head and carried on.

Copyright © 2015 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I binge read all 12 chapters and now I'm waiting for more.

 

Interesting characters and situations. With only a few very minor exceptions, the dialog feels real.

 

I'm curious about grandma and older sister. And, of course, I want to find out who did it and why…

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..