Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Hot Mess - 5. Chapter 5 – At Sea

Jason had inherited the beautiful Washington made three cabin boat from his father. A little over a year ago James Scott had died of a heart attack at the relatively young age of sixty two, leaving behind his post retirement indulgence in the care of his son. It was their first time on the boat after James had passed away and for Jason and Corey it was tough to cope with memories of previous trips and the sense of loss they brought. Father and son wanted to have the best of times though, knowing that it was what the old man wanted them to do.

The first three days they had enjoyed wholeheartedly - sailing, swimming, sunning, reading, fishing, eating and sleeping at will. Conversation had revolved around their previous trips, remembering the old man’s quirks, recalling Grandma when they had to cook. Initially Jason had reveled in being away from the pressures of his job. By Monday, Corey could see that he was getting restless.

“So Dad! Has Mal slapped that new guy yet?” They were in the kitchen cabin whose counter also served as a dining table. Son was making cheese and salami sandwiches while father tossed a cold pasta and veggie salad. Jason knew where it was going. He decided to play along.

“I don’t know. They were still in the interrogation room when I left on Wednesday.”

“Would he be alive by the time you go back?”

Jason smiled and nodded. “I’d say there’s a fifty percent chance.”

Corey laughed. “That’s mean.” Corey found the chance to lick some mayo off his thumb between his interrogations. Sandwiches were done.

Jason, also finished, placed the salad in the middle of the small counter and went to grab water from the fridge. “So, you’ve been talking to Tom.” On the way back he gave his son a dirty look. “I thought we’d decided you’ll not snoop around on me.”

“Come on dad!” Corey protested as he picked out two paper plates from the bag and placed them on the table. “You knew I would.”

Jason sat down on the stool, shaking his head sadly.

“So! Is he good?”

“Yes. At least so far he has looked sharp.” They helped themselves to the food and started eating as they talked.

“Ooh, sharp eh?”

“Cut it out, Corey.”

“What? You said he’s hot.”

“Yes, but he reports to me and is having a tough time as it is. I don’t want you cooking things up to make life difficult for him.”

“So you’re looking out for him?” Corey asked with wide eyes.

“Yes.” Jason admitted, taking a bite off his sandwich. “As his boss it’s my job.”

Corey made a face. “What will I do to him anyway? I haven’t even met him. Besides he obviously wants you.”

“That doesn’t matter. He’s immature. What I don’t want is you and Tom stirring things up.”

“You’re that scared of me, Dad?” Corey teased. “You know it’s supposed to be the other way round, right?”

“I do, believe me. And don’t talk with food in your mouth.”

“Sorry!” Corey did it again to annoy his father. Then, swallowing his food he persisted, “So tell me about this case. Isn’t it the one where that guy killed some girl outside a club?”

Jason wiped his mouth. “It’s the same case. We do not know if Mike is the culprit.”

“What do you mean? That girl died, it was in the papers.”

“Yes, but we don’t know who actually killed her.”

“So you’re not sure you have the right guy?”

Jason shrugged, not willing to talk more. The question had been playing on his mind and he was dying to learn what happened in the interrogation and after. There was internet on the boat but he did not want to work. He was going to be out for another week. It was supposed to be father-son time and he intended to keep it that way. Corey of course knew his father well.

“You know what, Dad? We don’t have to spend the whole of next week on this boat.”

“What do you mean? Bored of my company already?”

Corey rolled his eyes. “Totally! Kidding. No I was thinking I haven’t spent a lot of time with Grandma of late, we could go and stay with her a couple of days.”

Jason knew he was being given an out. He started clearing away. “Is that the real reason or you want to start texting your girlfriends?”

“I have one girlfriend! You’re imagining things.”

Jason began clearing and asked nonchalantly. “So are you guys, how do you say it… going steady?”

“Yeaa?” The kid blushed.

Jason kept nodding. “The beginning is always fun you know. Take things slow. When you kiss a person for the first time, you’d really know if you like them.”

Corey started blushing harder and looked away. Jason stiffened up.

“You kissed the girl? Why didn’t you tell me? When did it happen?”

Corey began fidgeting in his stool. “When we went out on Wednesday. It was a good bye kiss.”

The way Jason’s lips thinned the boy knew he was getting emotional. “It’s not a big deal! There’re guys who’ve done much more.”

Jason nodded in his understanding. “You’re growing up.”

“Oh my god. Dad, you so need to go out.” Corey covered his face and spoke from between his fingers. “You’re turning into a woman!”

Jason was getting unusually emotional and tried to change the subject. “So, you serious about wanting to go see Grandma, then?”

“Yea!” The boy accepted his let off. “We can make it back to ground tomorrow. If you want you can go home on Wednesday. I’ll stay with her for a few days.” Corey yawned and got up from the stool.

Jason realized that his son was maturing too fast. It did nothing to relieve his sentiments. To lighten his own mood he joked, “What, you want to get rid of me?”

“No. But I know you’re thinking about the case.” Corey started on his way out of the little kitchen. “And Travis Johnson.” he added before breaking into a run.

Jason laughed, shook his head and went on with tidying up. He had to admit that Corey was not far off the mark. He was as interested in the case as in seeing how Travis went about it. On Wednesday the newbie had knocked at Jason’s office on his way to interrogating Mike Baker.

“Sir, you got a minute?” he had asked.

“Yes.”

“I wanted to see you before you left. I don’t know how long we will be in there… Just wanted to say bye.”

“Thanks.” Jason had responded in a non-committal tone. Travis seemed like he wanted to say something, he was hesitating.

“Good luck with the case, Johnson. You’re doing well, just so you know. I liked how you brought up more doubts from watching the footage. It’d help us examine all ends. Keep it up.” Jason had thought that the appreciation would make his officer happy but did not see the desired effect.

Travis nodded sadly and with a lack luster “Thank you. Have a good time on your trip, Sergeant”, he took his leave.

Shaking away thoughts of work Jason finished up with cleaning and grabbing a beer went to check on Corey, only to find the teen asleep. He then climbed up to the deck of the boat to lounge for some time. Sun was on its way down. Calming sounds of the sea greeted him and its breeze in his dark hair felt heavenly. After he had enjoyed the feeling for a while, the noisy quiet also brought with it an immense longing. Despite how well Corey had turned out and how fulfilling his life had been overall, there were moments when loneliness got to Jason; like right then.

Almost ten years had passed since a little blonde boy had climbed into his lap to become the center of his life. How time had flown! Now the kid was a teenager and as he needed less and less time from a father, Jason had more opportunity to think about his own self and needs. Soon Corey will go to high school, then college. Kids these days were in such a hurry to be independent. He would want to move away, probably to a bigger city. A day would come when Jason would be alone.

When Corey was younger, he had tried going out a few times. But things had become more awkward once the boy got to an age when he could ask questions. No one had come along for whom answering those queries seemed worthwhile. Twelve year olds took much more kindly to parents dating these days. His job and an inherent aversion to vulnerability made it difficult for Jason to put himself out there.

A tired yawn escaped. Beer and the sea were taking effect. Despite his reservations about office romances and irritation at being pursued like a piece of meat, he began to recall all his interactions with Officer Johnson. Final image in his mind was of Travis’s sad little face from Wednesday evening. ‘Shit!’ Jason cursed in his mind. ‘Why didn’t he smile at my compliment?’

There are a lot of things to be figured out in this story. One of them is the murder mystery wink.png. I really appreciate all the comments, please keep them coming as they let me gauge whether the elements I am putting in are working or not. Also, please continue with giving 'likes'. Hoping to build my reputation smile.png. So thank you and hope this chapter contributes to the fun wink.png.
Copyright © 2015 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I read chapters 1 - 4 last night, 5 this morning. If only you could write as fast as I read, but then the only tension would be in your writing style. Yes, your writing provides enough tension, as well some laughter, and deep thinking. I'm guessing there will be some tears here and there when appropriate as well. I like the way you are developing the characters slowly enough for us to get to know them, more and more revealed with each chapter. Corey is amazingly aware for a 12 year old, but for those of us who have had a 12 year old around the house, Cory is a totally believable character. At 15 or 16 they stop being so observant and aware, but at that age . . .

Good job, looking forward to more.

Link to comment

Hmmm a 12 year old matchmaker for his gay father, priceless. I think it's even better that the father is falling for it. He doesn't seem as adverse to Travis as he was guess absence does make the heart grow fonder. This story just gets better and better

Link to comment
On 07/05/2013 04:53 AM, KaimukiMan said:
I read chapters 1 - 4 last night, 5 this morning. If only you could write as fast as I read, but then the only tension would be in your writing style. Yes, your writing provides enough tension, as well some laughter, and deep thinking. I'm guessing there will be some tears here and there when appropriate as well. I like the way you are developing the characters slowly enough for us to get to know them, more and more revealed with each chapter. Corey is amazingly aware for a 12 year old, but for those of us who have had a 12 year old around the house, Cory is a totally believable character. At 15 or 16 they stop being so observant and aware, but at that age . . .

Good job, looking forward to more.

thanks a lot for your comments KaimukiMan... you can read my other story to stay occupied :)
Link to comment

So - it sounds like Corey was adopted. Where are/what happened to his biological parents? Was it a single parent adoption? Was there some sort of spouse around 10 yrs ago that no longer is??

Lol I love a story that keeps me coming back for more and asking questions, provided of course the answers are forthcoming eventually!

And I agree with the gentleman above - Corey is a totally believable 12 yr old.

Link to comment

I like the way Cory was egging his dad on. I can definitely relate to Jason getting all choked up when he realizes his only child is growing up.

 

i didn't realize Cory was adopted. I wonder what happened to his mom. And he's pretty cool, wanting to spend time with his grandmother. Without his dad sort of forcing him to. Not sure if other twelve year olds would do the same.

 

Funny tidbit: James Scott, Jason's dad, shares his name with a British actor who is on one of the Cali soaps. ;)

Link to comment

What a fun chapter! Your child growing up always seems to slap you in the face. Then, not only does he learn to read your mind, but starts to give you a little room to pursue your own interests.

I'm definitely curious if Travis is right on his assumptions about the case.

Link to comment

enjoying the read. As I do Im left with lots of wondering s.. and as the chapter closes you state just that and yes there are lots to wonder about in this story. So guess I need to read and find out just how you have woven this web...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..