Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Hot Mess - 10. Chapter 10 - Permission to play

To my readers. I am so 'sorry' for the long break in this story. I wasn't writing a lot this past year or so and found it difficult to pick this one back up. But I promise to finish this little novel, murder mystery and all. Hope I can make it worth your wait.

The Scott boys started early on their journey back home. Corey slept through the first hour of the drive. When he was fully awake, they pulled off the freeway for a Starbucks breakfast. Jason had thought that his son would be excited at the prospect of being reunited with his friends. No signs of joy were evident in the unusually petulant face of the youngster sitting in front of him. Munching on a banana bread Corey seemed almost sad. When he caught his father’s concerned look, the boy cleared his throat.

“Dad! We need to visit Grandma more often. She’s alone a lot. I don’t like it.” Jason was taken by surprise. “Why can’t she come and stay with us for a few days?” Corey continued. The request was accompanied by that exaggerated twisting of face that teenagers practice till they learn how to play it cool.

“Sure, did you ask her?”

“I did.”

“What did she say?”

“She said you won’t like it. She thinks it would cramp your style, is what I feel.”

“Really?”

“I know. Like you have much going on in your love life, anyway.”

Jason stiffened up. He had been meaning to talk to Corey about having invited Travis for dinner. Instead of an opening to broach the subject, he seemed to have met with an awkward blocker. Thinking this was as best a chance as any, he dived right in.,

“About that. I thought it would be a good idea for you to meet Travis. I’ve invited him for dinner tonight.”

Corey’s mouth went ajar mid-chew. He was staring at his father in absolute shock.

“Say what?”

“You heard me.”

“Dad! Why didn’t you tell me earlier? You’re getting it on with the new recruit?”

“Hey, watch your language, young man!” Jason scolded, while his blush negated the sternness of his tone.

“Aww!! That’s awesome!”

“Hey, hey. Nothing’s happened. We’ve been talking, that’s all. I thought it’s better that he meets you before this thing goes any further.”

Corey sat back with folded arms. “So it this like a meet the parents thing? You’re looking for my permission?” He asked in a haughty tone.

“Dream on, buddy. I just wanted him to meet you. Now no funny business ok? You’ve gotta behave!”

“Aww Dad! Have I ever behaved badly in front of your dates?”

“You’ve never had a chance.”

“Exactly.”

“I live in the same house as you don’t I? I know what you’re capable of.” Jason got up. “ Come on, let’s get going.”

In the car Corey became serious again, “I guess that rules out grandma coming to stay with us. I know she doesn’t like the whole gay thing.”

Jason gave his son a thoughtful look before starting the car. “You know what? I’m not sure she’s that against it. It was mostly Grandpa. I’ll ask her and see how she feels about visiting for a few days, just to see if this thing can work.”

“Would you do that?” Corey asked excitedly.

“You do remember that we’d asked her last year when… right after grandpa passed away? Don’t want you to get your hopes up.”

“Yea.” Corey quieted down. The rest of the drive was spent in quiet ponderance from each man.

Corey was thinking about the ageing, weakening woman he had spent last few days with. The boy was afraid her loneliness was making her age faster. He had never seen his biological parents, at least, he did not remember them. He had been told that his father had died before his birth and mother, when he was three. Without going into any sketchy details Corey had been informed that Jason and he had come into contact when his mother was questioned in relation to a drug related murder. According to Tom, Corey had climbed into the officer’s lap and refused to leave. It had been love at first sight for both. When the Social Services had been informed of the toddler’s living conditions it was more of a question of whether the system would let a single, young, not to mention Gay, detective play parent to this child.

Despite the unorthodox nature of his upbringing Corey was not blind to his good fortune in life. Jason while never denying him any answers had not also let any doubt creep into the young man’s mind as to who his parent was regardless of biology. Corey also knew that he had been the catalyst in mending the relationship between Jason and his parents. The detective loved his parents notwithstanding the elephant in the room which was his sexuality. The young ‘know it all’ felt that the mother and son could both benefit from spending more time together. He was hoping that the old lady would also be kinder towards Jason’s budding new love story.

Jason’s thoughts were on much happier grounds than his son’s. He really hoped that Corey and Travis would hit it off. He actually saw them gelling well which made him bother excited and nervous. He was picturing how Travis would handle meeting the teenaged son of his. A brief chuckle escaped the older man which he could not cover up fast enough.

“Aww! Are you day dreaming about your lover boy, Dad? So cute!”

To my readers. I am so 'sorry' for the long break in this story. I wasn't writing a lot these past year or so and found it difficult to pick this one back up. But I promise to finish this little novel, murder mystery and all. Hope I can make it worth your wait.
Copyright © 2015 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/11/2015 10:04 PM, bignick said:

It's so good to have you back and, just know, I'll hold you to that promise.

I mean to keep it. One more chapter added. Hope you enjoy it.

Link to comment
On 12/07/2015 11:03 PM, Rndmrunner said:

Glad you are writing again. Great story by the way.

Thank you! I'm glad to be writing again as well. Happy that you're enjoying the story.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..