Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Hot Mess - 3. Chapter 3 – Impertinence

Jason locked the door to his office as he finished his day. The rest of the place was empty as expected. It was his second time leaving that day. He had left earlier to pick his son up from summer practice and spend some time with him. With a wave to the guards on duty he walked to the parking lot towards his car which for once was having elite company. The only other vehicle in the lot apart from his Honda was a brand new BMW SUV. The fact that he had not seen it in that place before made him take a pause. He might have missed it earlier among other cars. Jason retraced his way back into the office. It still seemed empty. Just to make sure he walked around. The place was a collection of tables and chairs with multiple drawers dividing people’s workstations. Towards the wall were interrogation and meeting rooms. None seemed occupied. Bewildered Jason scratched his chin with the right thumb and gave a final sweeping glance around. A few ceiling lights were on so it wasn’t entirely dark. He noticed some light coming from under a desk in one corner and strode towards it.
Underneath the desk, on his stomach, wearing headphones and completely absorbed in what he was reading on a laptop, was Travis. He was toggling between web pages and documents, pausing in the reading to type some notes in, then back. Jason hoped his presence would be noticed but in the end had to bend on one knee and tug at the headphones. Travis jumped and hit his head on the table.
“Mother fucker, aaah.”
“I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to startle you. What’re you doing here?”
“What does it look like?” Travis retorted, rubbing his head and giving Jason a dirty look. It made the older man give a wry smile.
“Will you get out of there?”
“What for?”
“So I can talk to you properly. Just come out, will you?”
Travis obliged petulantly.
“Why aren’t you using a chair?”
“Because they don’t have any. Apparently, the department is short on them and ordered new ones. They are to be delivered only next week.”
“What? Why didn’t you pull one from the meeting rooms?”
Travis gave an expression of exasperation. “Don’t you get it? I’m being punished.”
The light went on in Jason’s head. “You’re not being punished. It’s just a tradition to give newbies a tough time.”
“Oh, it will last longer for me.”
“Why do you think so?”
Travis shrugged. “Detective Smith seems to have developed a dislike for me. The twi.. I mean Edmunds and Sawyer spent the day teasing me..” here he faltered, only briefly, “they were teasing me about the incident from earlier.”
Of course! Only place where gossip could spread faster than a police department was in a high school.
“They’ll come around.” Jason offered.
“I suppose they’ll get on with it, eventually.” Travis agreed nonchalantly. He looked younger than his twenty five years, the sharp face looking smaller than earlier. May be his cockiness had worn off. Or was he feeling sorry for himself? Jason felt a pang of sympathy but did not let on.
“Did Mallory ask you to research on the kid that was arrested in California?”
“Yes, she did. That’s what I was doing.”
“Have you found anything?”
“I think so.” Travis answered cryptically. A bit of mischief was creeping back into his eyes, “I’ll tell detective Smith first.” Jason had received a put down; one he could not complain about.
“I think you’ve done enough for your first day, why don’t you pack up.”
“I’ll need another..”
“That wasn’t a suggestion.” Jason added.
“Yes, sir.” Travis gave in, but then smiled gleefully, “Can you give me a minute? I’ll walk out with you.”
He did not wait for an answer and hurriedly stuffed the laptop into his bag which he picked up along with the suit jacket in one swoop. “Let’s go” he said in less than a minute.
Both men walked in silence, Jason pulling ahead faster, with Travis hanging behind at an even pace. Once at the parking lot Jason turned around to ask something and caught the other man checking out his ass. His jaw clenched when Travis showed no shame in getting caught. “So where do you live Sergeant?” the young officer asked instead.
“East side.” Jason let the incident slide. He did not want to acknowledge the pass because then he would have to talk about them.
“Oh, East side has the best bars I heard. I’m staying at the Marriot in downtown.” Travis seemed in no hurry to leave and followed his boss as he got to his car.
Jason had only just unlocked the door when he was asked in a very polite voice, “Where do you suggest I go for dinner, sir?” That’s it. He’d had it. He stood straight and looked directly at Travis to answer. “There are a number of restaurants in this city, Officer Johnson. I am not your personal guide to give suggestions. Look it up on the net. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m getting late for dinner with my son.”
Sufficiently chastised, Travis said, “Excuse me!” in a small voice. “Good night, sir.” He gave a little wave and sprinted over to his much more expensive car. Jason admitted to himself that he might have been rougher than needed. The punk had left him no choice with all the subtle passes he had been making. Shaking his head he put the car in gear and finally left the premises of the building.
Jason was quite angry with himself for losing his cool at the young recruit. That chap had had a hard day; he did not need being shown his place quite as sternly. It was the sly smile that had got to Jason. He did not appreciate this kind of behavior in workplace. When he got inside the two storied town home he shared with his son in one of Portland’s respectable neighborhoods, his mood was immediately called to report by a twelve year old blonde.
“What’s with the long face, dad? Tough case?”
Jason had decided early on that he wanted a very honest relationship with his son. It was based on mutual respect and trust, something Corey had never taken for granted. They discussed most things like friends do, unless it was too adult a subject or a department secret. According to Jason, it was a necessity for two people sharing a house to feel completely involved in each other’s lives. Being open about things took care of that.
“No..” Jason dumped his jacket on a chair and went straight to the bar to pour a stiff one. He joined his son on the couch. “A new recruit joined my team.” Corey closed the book he was reading.
A young girl entered the living room. “Oh, you’re here? I didn’t hear you.”
“Too busy putting on make-up Anne?” Corey teased from his seat. Jason gave him a warning glare and stood up.
“It’s OK, Anne. Sorry I got a little late.”
“You know that’s not a problem, Jason?” Anne was a seventeen year old with braces. When nervous, she smiled with her hand covering her mouth and twirled one leg on its big toe. She was doing both right at that moment.
“Thanks a lot. You best get going then, before it gets too late.” Jason said, taking out his wallet to pay the girl. “Say Hi to your Mom?”
Anne accepted the money and waving a bye to Corey, took her leave.
Jason showed her to the door, bid her good night with a smile and returned to the couch to resume enjoying his one drink of the night.
“You’ll never develop your game if all you can do to talk with a girl is teasing her.”
“I have plenty of game, dad!” Corey rolled his eyes, “I don’t waste it on Anne. Besides, she’s got the hots for you.”
“One of these days you’ll learn how tiring your jokes are, son. Such a shame I couldn’t teach you the difference between sense of humor and garbage.”
“Ha ha.. Enough about Anne. What’s wrong with the new recruit?”
“Nothing, he’s weird.”
“What kind of weird?” Corey put his hand over his old man’s shoulder. Jason enjoyed the light hug while sipping his drink.
“He’s immature I think. Doesn’t know what to say when.”
“Socially awkward?”
“Not really awkward. Just a little irritating.” Jason said thoughtfully.
“Why, what did he do?”
Jason was not sure it was a good idea to tell his son what exactly about Travis annoyed him. He tried to evade with, “Everything. Just too smart for his own good.” Gulping down his drink, he jumped to his feet. “Let’s start on the dinner. I’m hungry.” He headed to the kitchen rolling up the sleeves of his shirt, not bothering to change.
“Dad! ” Corey pressed, following his father. “Don’t try to change the subject. Tell me what happened. You know I have other means of finding out.”
Jason knew fully well what those means were. Or more accurately, who. Commander Tom Henderson, Anne’s father.
“Don’t you have any shame getting dirt on your own dad from other people?” Jason asked taking out a pack of frozen chicken from the fridge.
“Nope. No shame at all. Now spill.” Corey folded his arms.
Jason sighed, giving up. “The guy was checking me out all day. He kept making passes at me. I cut him off before he tried to ask me out.” He tried avoiding looking at Corey but couldn’t.
Sure enough after a few seconds of gaping, the boy let out a shrill “ha” and started laughing. His voice was beginning to break, making his laugh all the more piercing. He was teasing and laughing at the same time. “That’s a good one, dad! I want to meet this guy. He’s got balls.. is he reporting to you?”
Jason shook his head and drawing out a hammer, started beating the chicken at the pretext of thawing it. Corey saw the frustration that poor dead fowl was at the receiving end of. “Come on, dad! It can’t be that bad. Obviously the guy’s got bad taste.” He teased more. “Is he hot at least?”
Jason paused and with the tone he usually reserved for work, tried to put the little upstart in his place. “You’re not old enough to ask your parent that, Corey.”
Corey sensed there was something there. “Fine, I’ll ask Uncle Tom.”
“No you won’t!"
“Then tell me, it’s a simple enough question. Is. He. Hot?”
Jason tried to think of a way to get out of it but couldn’t. With a grunt he started attacking the chicken again.
“What was that?” Corey pressed, unperturbed. “I didn’t hear you.”
Jason almost yelled at the boy, “I said, yes!” He earned a loud laugh in the face for that.

Copyright © 2015 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

LOL. I love the son't interrogation of his dad. How funny. So, he thinks his "recruit is hot". This is such a great story. I keep wanting to say, write longer chapters please! Thanks for sharing :P:read:

Link to comment

Woo Hoo - so - does daddy know he is gay/bi or is he just finding this out? Sounds like junior has a better grip on this one than daddy does!

Keep writing - keep writing - faster - faster

Link to comment

I like Corey.Is he just 12? He's too smart for his age. and I felt a little sorry for Travis but I bet he'll get over it as soon as he finds a way to ask his boss out.

Good story

Link to comment

Oo I like Corey. How many twelve years older dare tease their father because another man likes his dad and it's shaking his dad up. Poor, poor dad he doesn't stand a chance with his son and his boss against. Yep I am definitely liking this story a lot

Link to comment

Man meanderings, I can't keep up with you! lol

 

I really like Corey, he's cute. And smart. And ballsy - he doesn't have any problem with going right to his dad's boss for info. lol

 

The way the chapter ended it seemed like Jason was gay...or was that just a regular thing for Corey to ask his dad - if the recruit was hot? lol

 

I did feel a bit sorry for Travis. He was being good the rest of the day and Jason was kind of nasty to him when Travis asked about dinner places.

 

Ok, on to chapter four. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..