Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Hot Mess - 7. Chapter 7 – Creativity

“Thanks for coming in today Mr. Baker.”

Dayton Baker, the epitome of a Wall Street type who had had years to work on his pizzazz and cockiness gave a distracted nod to Mallory Smith, in deference to her obvious higher rank over the twink on her side. What he did not know was that Sergeant Scott was also watching him, from across the mirrored wall.

“I assumed it was routine since you people had finally caught my Son. I would like to get it over with ASAP. Have a lunch meeting at tewlve.” Travis observed the man’s manicured hand, slick grey hair and designer suit. Appearing to be busy was the most commonly used evasion as well as intimidation tactic. The trick was to make your time appear invaluable, something Dayton Baker’s entire persona screamed at you. Lips pulled into a line and sardonically raised eyebrows harried you to get on with it.

“Certainly. If you like we can arrange for you to speak with Mike, alone, at the end of our questioning.” Mallory Smith supplied helpfully.

“That won’t be necessary”, came the pat reply.

Giving her colleague a sideways glance Mallory started. “So, Mr. Baker. A few questions had come up after we talked with Mike and we felt there were a few clarifications we needed from you.”

“Go ahead, ask.”

“When you gave Mike the gun, did you ask him to learn how to use it and enroll in competition?”

“I asked him to learn. Competition was his idea, which I approved. But I also asked him to keep it at home.”

“Why did you ask him in the first place? If the idea was self-protection, he would have to carry it outside, it was common sense.” Detective Smith continued.

“He could have done that after he turned eighteen. In the meantime I had got him a bodyguard for protection.”

Travis intervened,

“There was no bodyguard on the crime scene.”

“I know. That’s because Mike got rid of the moron. I’ve changed my agency after that.” There was a hint of irritation in his voice.

Travis took note that Mike must have avoided his body guard, which meant that there was a certain amount of premeditation in his carrying a gun to the club.

Mallory started again with her prepared set. “In his statement Mike confirmed he was coming back from a competition and that he pulled the gun at Miss Tiffany Austin because he was afraid you would cancel his trip to Europe if you found out he had been in a bar with a fake ID.”

Dayton did not say anything and looked at Mallory and Travis before asking, “Sorry, was that a question?”

“We wanted to know your reaction on this.”

“What can I say, my son acted stupidly. He acts irresponsibly and blames the fear of his parent for his behavior. What am I supposed to say to that?”

“Would you have cancelled his trip?”

“It’s a hypothetical question now, but yes. I would have given the evidence of irresponsible behavior.” He answered challengingly, as if daring someone to question his parenting.

Mallory and Travis looked at each other. Travis picked the thread.

“Mr. Baker. Do you think Mike is capable of such a behavior?”

“What’s the point in what I think?”

“I expect you must be devastated that your only son is embroiled in such a tragic situation.”

Dayton took a good look at Travis. He noticed the expensive suit he was wearing, unexpected for a police officer.

“Officer, Johnson is it? Yes. I am disappointed. I am livid that first my son commits a crime by accident then he runs away like this to make it worse. He has potentially ruined his life which I do not know how to fix.”

“But it was not an accident Mr. Baker.” Travis said coolly.

“What?”

“We think it could be a murder in cold blood.”

“What do you mean? I thought, I mean, Greg, the… the other boy. He said it was an accident.”

“He did. But we think Mike carried the gun with the intention of intimidating and potentially harming Miss Austin.”

Dayton had not seen it coming. Although he did not react to this new information there was a hint of a twitch in his right eye. “Why would he do that?” Dayton asked.

“We don’t know. Do you think he may have a reason?”

Travis had thrown this whole line out on a mere hunch. Mallory was not shooting daggers at him for proprieties sake. In a single look she had conveyed how she was going to ream him a new one once if this blew in their faces. He was not worried about Mallory now. The way Dayton Baker was staring at him, he knew the man was evaluating whether and how to share a piece of information. Like an expert poker player he was considering whether to play blind, go all in or just raise and ask for a show. He took the third option.

“You understand I will not divulge anything that may be potentially damaging for my son without consulting a lawyer?”

“Yes. I merely thought you would want to help us with this case since so far you have not tried to abet your son’s criminal activities.” Travis’s tone had grown bolder.

Dayton sighed, “While that is correct, I have no clue what you are talking about.”

Travis nodded. He believed there was an element of truth there. But what had also become evident was that the deceased girl, as Jason had suggested, was perhaps not an altogether random victim.

“How well did you know Ms. Austin?”

“As well as one knows an employee who they have worked closely with for over four years?”

“That does not answer my question sir.”

“May be it is because your question itself is vague?” The polished Mr. Baker was losing his cool.

Travis asked in a smooth voice. “Pardon me. Let me put it this way, would you have ranked Tiffany Austin as an employee who was just an acquaintance, a friend or a confidante?”

Dayton deliberated before answering. He was bracing himself as if for a war. “I would say, friend. She was a friend… A very good friend.” He added in the end.

Travis nodded slowly, looking straight at the unapologetic man sitting in front of him. “No more questions from me Mr. Baker. Thank you.” He turned to look at Detective Smith.

“None from me either, Mr. Baker. Like I said, if you wish we can arrange for you to meet your son.” She offered again.

“Nope. If you are done with me I would like to take my leave now.”

“Once again, thanks for coming in Mr. Baker.” Travis said, offering his hand to the man who had stood up to escape this ordeal. “I can imagine how tough it must be for you.”

Even if it was momentary, Dayton Baker for once exposed his vulnerability. His jaw clenched and voice caught making him respond with only a nod of his head to thank the young officer’s sincere gesture. Mallory left the room to show him out and Travis hunched over the table with both his palms on its surface.

“Are you alright?” came Jason’s voice through the speakers.

“Yes.”

There was a silence. “Good job there, off… eh, Travis.”

The rookie turned towards the mirror, his face wan; exposing his own vulnerability to the one man he wished would take care of it. Mallory opened the door suddenly and taking one look at her team mate, stopped whatever her opening words were going to be.

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost Johnson.”

“Nothing. I’m just, I haven’t been eating well.”

“Well you should.” She observed Travis’s sad nod. “By the way, I was ready to punch your face in when you bluffed Dayton Baker like that. We could have been in serious shit.”

“I know. I took a chance. Sorry. Thanks for backing me up.”

“Yea well, your turn will come. Just so you know, I think that was damn good chance you took there. I know I have not been the chief welcoming officer here, but I am happy you’re working with me on this case. That’s a fucking awesome lead you’ve opened up.”

All through Mallory’s thank you speech Travis was trying to hold back his tears. He had not expected to receive such acceptance from her. He was resigned to a grudging respect but this was full on embracement. Noticing his welling eyes Detective Smith back-pedaled. “Oh, now don’t be such a fucking stereotype, will ya? I’ll go back to hating your guts if that’s what you want.”

Travis ignored her protest and simply went up and hugged her. At first she did not respond. She was a mother after all and giving up the tough act, patted his back eventually, “Now, now. Stop with the waterworks. I didn’t know you’re such a sissy or I would’ve gone easy on you.” Travis pulled away and laughed despite himself.

“Now get your act together.” The woman scolded him, “We’ve got a brilliant opening here. If daddy Baker was fucking the dead girl, Mike has a bigger motivation to kill her. You do realize you just helped strengthen my angle of the case, don’t you?”

“I do. That’s not an issue Mallory. I’ll still stick with my angle.”

“Good, just keep making my job easier. Oh and by the way. You better not tell anyone about me going soft on you, yea? I have a reputation to maintain.”

Travis nodded in his best wide eyed boy face.

“And that goes for you too Jason.” Smith spoke at the mirror.

“My lips are sealed.” came Jason’s voice.

“Good. Now if you want, you can take care of this lover boy here. For all I know he wants his daddy badly.”

Travis’s mouth fell open as Mallory glided out of the room in a triumphantly. He looked at the door that she closed behind her then at the mirror, face turning crimson. In a small voice he asked,

“Ja… Sergeant Scott? Are you there?”

There was no immediate response, and then came the answer. “Yes.”

‘Shit’ Travis said in his mind. Jason would never forgive him if people started gossiping about them. Any chance that was building would get mowed down. ‘Shit, shit, shit. Why did Mallory have to do that? She was better as an enemy than a friend.’

Alright my friends. The murder mystery is heating up. Hope you are liking the new developments. Was able to do two chapters in a day. Please, please, please keep sharing your comments and likes.
Copyright © 2015 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't think the murder case ks the only thing heating up lol. Would love to be a fly on the other side of that mirrored wall. I know Travis opened up a new lead but I don't think that's what set him off afterwards. It was something to do with the father's reaction. I'm guessing Travis and his father have issues. Between Travis's lack of filter between mouth and day brain, and the reaction with the father's and to Mallory's comment leads me to believe everything that Travis doesn't have enough a year close friends or family. Too many hints and comments leads me to think there is a lot going on with the new officer than he is letting on. Let's home Jason and his son can. Change that. Great chapter. Oh I know Mallory's still think Mike killed tiffany, but I don't think so specially after that interview. But we will see.

Link to comment

Hmm, maybe Tiffany was getting greedy. Maybe she wanted more than a wham, bam, thank-you-ma'am from Pappa Baker. Maybe she wanted jewels, furs, vacas, homes on the Riveria. lol Maybe she was threatening to tell Step-Mamma Baker.

 

Maybe Pappa Baker told Mark to get rid of the bodyguard, and off Tiffany, b/c he knew his son could get off...how old is the kid again? I thought he was over eighteen. Wait, you can't carry a gun unless you're a certain age, right? Well, maybe Pops thought his set of attorneys could get Mark off. Maybe he's playing it all calm, cool, and collected, not wanting to see his son, etc., but that might be all an act. He may have a plan to get his kid out of that mess. Unless he told his kid to do that and he really doesn't give a shit about him. That would really suck. lol

 

I used to really dislike Mallory, but now I like her. She was pretty cool with Travis. Really funny in fact. I feel badly for Travis; it's obvious Pops hit a raw nerve or something from the way Travis is acting now. Can't wait to find out what's in his past.

 

Oi, now I have to wait till you update later. :(

 

I can't get enough of this story, meanderings. :2thumbs:

Link to comment

chapter 6 was kinda bumpy, this one was great. I don't think Travis is the only one with issues to resolve, but Cody helped show us that a couple of chapters ago. Clearly Jason is going to end up in a very difficult position. Mallory must be enjoying the view from the near sidelines.

Link to comment

Wooo hooo! Seems Officer Mallory Smith isn't quite as cold and nasty as she wants people to think! That she noticed the underlying tension between Jason and Travis doesn't surprise me. She is after all a trained investigator and SHOULD be observant. To have let on that she knew tho is bound to add to that tension. Why can I see her giggling behind her hand when the guys are not looking? :gikkle:

I agree with Daithi, the evidence is piling up on the son too fast and too neatly, as tho someone WANTS him convicted besides the prosecution's team.

I love how quickly you post chapters, but if you don't mind a suggestion? You may want to hook up with an editor/beta reader. There are a few spots where it seemed like your fingers could not keep up with your brain. In one spot it looks like half of two different sentences got lost and the front of one was then married to the back of the other.

Great story line and quick postings make a winning combination mister! Thank you.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..