Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Hot Mess - 1. Chapter 1 - Where all things start

It was a busy Monday inside the Detective Division of Portland Police’s Investigative Unit. The Commander of Homicide Cell occupied a simple office that had a glass topped desk, a think-pad laptop, few book cases and a tropical plant. He was sitting and waiting for someone, drumming the table top with his fingers. After a knock the door opened and a suited up, tall, dark haired man in his early-thirties walked in. His hair was wet and brushed back. Neither the close shaven cheek nor the dapper suit could disguise his capacity to get dirty when the calling came.

“Sir”, he began but wasn’t allowed to continue.

“Sergeant Jason Scott, it’s good to see you son!” bellowed the jolly bellied Tom Henderson from behind his desk. Shouting from his seat of power, the man’s face was as ruddy and bursting with health as the cheer in his voice promised. No one who came in the vicinity of the Commander could help their smiles. He never let people guess the cold intelligence behind his mirth lined face. Despite the iron grip with which he ran his department, his subordinates knew that the demeanor was not a front of any sort. He truly was a happy individual who could crack an expletive laden joke while surveying a gruesome murder scene. They accepted that Tom was one of those people who are blessed with an immense capacity for joy, a sort of lightness of being.

“Morning Captain.” Jason greeted politely. That the warmth of his welcome was a bit much given they had talked on phone less than eight hours ago, was not lost on the Sergeant. A hint of a smile played on his face and brown eyes narrowed marginally.

“Take a seat before I sprain my fucking neck looking up at you.”

Jason obliged, “The exercise might do you good sir!” he retorted.

“A fucking joke to start the day! You best get a hold of yourself son, unless you want us folks to get used to your good humor. Is it the sunshine we’ve had all week or you have good news to share?”

“No news sir. Just looking forward to the time off I guess.”

“That’s right! Your time off. How long are you gone for again?

“A week and a half, starting Thursday. We’ll be on a boat out in the sea, just the two of us.”

“Great, great. These are the kind of memories that last. When Corey is all grown up he’ll remember that his daddy and he spent a week on a boat one summer.”

“Instead of the soccer games I’ve missed?”

“Hey!” Tom chastised, “He’d respect that when he grows up. You contribute to the safekeeping of countless people. Do you remember how he was bursting with pride when your promotion was announced?”

“You’re right,” Jason admitted solemnly. “He’s a good kid. He understands. I don’t think I was as understanding when I was twelve.”

“Don’t kid yourself, I’m sure you were.”

“Thank you. So… unless you had called me in today with the express intent of complimenting me, what did you want to speak to me about, Captain?”

“Always shop, can’t a man just fucking talk with you Scott? You can’t simply shoot shit can you?”

“Not on tax-payer’s time.”

“Hey, watch it young man. I won’t have you suggesting that I’m wasting tax payer’s money just ‘coz I’m being nice to you.”

“I was suggesting no such thing sir.” Jason replied calmly.

“You’d better not. Now then, you’re right. I did want to talk to you about something.” Jason sat a little straighter in his chair, responding to the Captain’s serious expression. “There’s this new Officer who’s joining us today.”

If it were his habit, Jason would have groaned. As was the case, he barely raised a single eyebrow.

“There’s a reason" Tom barreled on, reading the sergeant’s expression, “I am talking to you about him. You see, this kid is some sort of a genius. Went to college, graduated with honors in criminal psychology and statistics. He could have gone and joined the Feds or the CIA but chose to join the police department.” Tom could see that Jason’s interest had been piqued. He sat back in his chair, placing both hands on the ample belly. “He’s done great in his training, is sure to be an asset to any investigative department.”

“But…” Jason supplied, to bring this conversation to its main point.

Capt. Henderson let out a sigh. “But… he’s apparently a bit of a character.”

Now both of Jason’s eyebrows were in the air.

“I don’t want to prejudice you beforehand so I’ll let you make your own impressions on this guy. Not that there have been any official complaints or anything, it just seems this guy, his name is Travis Johnson, he can come across as a bit insubordinate… among other things.”

“What other things?”

“Like I said, I’d let you form your own opinion.”

“Why is my opinion important? I’m assuming you want me to keep an eye on him.”

“Not just that, I want you to break him in.”

“What? Why don’t you ask a Detective to do that? Why me?”

“Because I can trust you to not get intimidated by another man’s intelligence.” Tom let the point sink in. “Among other things.” He added after a moment of silence.

“What fucking other things?” Jason hissed, now thoroughly pissed off by his captain’s cryptic allusions.

“That’s not important. Look here Jason. The whole department looks up to you. If you approve of someone, they’d do the same. They’d accept any oddities of personality because they know you mean business and wouldn’t give anyone the time of the day if they weren’t really good at their job.”

“So this was the purpose of all the lubing up you did earlier?”

“It wasn’t. You know how much I respect you, Jason.” Capt. Henderson’s tone had gone dead cold. His hazel eyes matched it.

“Alright! Fine, I’ll do it. But I’m at liberty to dislike this Travis Johnson guy.”

“Of course! I’m hoping under your influence he’d learn to… to assimilate better.”

“Why don’t you build him up some more, Captain? You haven’t done the guy enough credit it seems.”

“Oh come on! You know I never exaggerate.” Tom said, getting up from his chair and walking around his desk.

“That’s what worries me.” Jason retorted, standing up himself.

“Come, I’ll introduce you to your new team-mate. I’d asked him to turn up at nine and wait outside.”

Tom placed his hand on the Sergeant’s back as they walked to the office door and opened it. Outside, waiting as expected, was Jason’s new subordinate. Body lithe and wiry, hair blonde, eyes blue and a face belonging on Milan’s runways, Travis was a looker alright. He was nevertheless dwarfed by Jason’s six four frame. As he stood up in his crisp suit, the young blonde seemed to have his yes latched on to Jason’s rugged face, or more accurately the man’s judgmental dark eyes.

“Officer Johnson, I want you to meet Sgt. Jason Scott. You’d be working closely with him as you get started in the department. He’s going to be your boss.” Travis nodded at the information he received and extended his right hand.

Jason was wondering what could be so remarkable about this guy that had brought him under his charge. He seemed polite enough. There was also some nervousness in the hand-shake; he was not at all like a chip on the shoulder type that Jason had envisioned. He did not have to wonder long. As their hands parted, Travis let out a very unselfconscious,

“Fuck me!”

Jason was so stumped it took a minute to register that he had just received a come on. His normally well-schooled face betrayed utter shock to his captain. Tom could not have asked for a better scene if he had written it himself. He was smiling from ear to ear. All those around in the office that morning had heard Travis’ unabashed exclamation. It had not been a slip up as the young man seemed to be unapologetic about it. He just kept staring at his new boss as if it were a hot day and Jason a bucket of ice cream.

“It’s so good to finally meet you, sir. I’m going to do you proud.” His tone was sincere, but eyes showed potential mirth behind them.

“Good.” Jason had to clear his throat. It was better for his dignity to let the incident slip. “Good to meet you too, Officer. Why… why don’t you follow me? I’ll show you where we sit.”

“Anything you say, sir.” Travis replied with a smile. Every word out of this chap’s mouth seemed to drip with double meaning, at least to Jason’s ears. He turned towards Tom and asked gruffly. “Was there anything else Captain?” His displeasure was veiled but discernible. “No that’d be it, Sergeant. Hope you turn out to be a real asset to our department young man!” the captain told Travis. With a pat on their backs he set the two men off; Jason’s long strides leading his eager charge. Tom was sure that the newbie was enjoying following his boss around. He had noticed those blue eyes landing on his most reputed detective’s ass. Behind the closed door of his office he chuckled and then felt a little pang at his own wickedness. It washed away quickly. Hey! One needed to take the little laughs life supplied.

Copyright © 2015 meanderingsNmusings; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Omg!!! I'm going to love this story. The stoic mouth tainted of a man cop with the smaller dream of a guy with no filter between the brain and mouth......oh this is going to be good. Can't wait for more

Tap tap tap...next chapter up yet. Hehe

Link to comment

Ok - now that you have mastered the hook and gotten us all looking for your entries you are going to have to put up with us pestering you with comments reviews and pleas to write faster.

Great start and promises to keep us reading just as fast as your last story - if not faster. Looking forward to it.

Link to comment

What an awesome new story meanderings! :) I just love the new twink paired up with the big guy. lol

 

Ok, on to chapter two.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..