Jump to content
    mitchelll
  • Author
  • 3,537 Words
  • 4,775 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mr. Brightside - 16. Chapter 16

Mr. Brightside

Chapter 16

Jason felt chills running down his spine. He was paralyzed, feeling like a ghost had arrived to haunt him. Was he to be visited by all the sins of his past? But a quick glance at Shane reassured him. Meeting Shane again had been a good thing, a new chance. Maybe this would be his opportunity to make things right with Thomas, the other person he had wronged.

“Thomas McAlpin?” Shane asked, sounding confused. The sound of his voice brought Jason out of his reverie. “You’re sure?”

“Quite sure,” Patrick said smiling. He had entered the room and handed Shane a card, careful to give it to his good hand. Shane took it and read it slowly.

“Are you up for the visit?” Patrick asked when Shane still said nothing after reading the card. “I can tell him to come later or….” he trailed off when Shane still didn’t respond.

“No,” Shane finally said, handing the card back and looking up at the concierge. “It’s fine. Please have him come in.”

Patrick left, and Jason turned to look at Shane. “I didn’t realize you were in contact with him.”

“I’m not,” Shane said. “I haven’t seen him or talked to him since….well, that day.”

Jason felt shame wash over him, as well as the overwhelming urge to apologize to Shane again. Jason had in fact tried to tell Shane how badly he felt about what he had done in college, but Shane had adamantly refused to discuss it.

“It’s over, and it happened a long time ago,” Shane had said, “I don’t want to talk about it. Besides,” he had sighed and turned his head from Jason, “it’s hardly the worse thing that’s happened to me. I know you’re sorry, and I forgive you, and it’s done. End of discussion.” Since then, Jason had honored Shane’s wishes about not mentioning their fall out. But now, it definitely looked like it wouldn’t stay neatly in the past after all.

A knock sounded on the door, and Shane called out a soft “Come in.” The door opened and a slender, well dressed man came into the room. His black hair was short, and neatly combed into a conservative style, and he wore a well fitted navy suit with a white shirt and red bowtie. It was so different from his former flashy style that it took Jason a moment to recognize Thomas.

Though Thomas’s complexion was still a rich olive, his tan was gone, as was his quick, sly grin. He looked older than 23, and serious, but his face lightened when he saw Shane.

“Hey,” Thomas said softly. “It’s been a long time.”

“It’s good to see you, Thomas,” Shane said softly, looking up at the black-haired man. They looked at each other in silence.

Jason felt like an intruder watching this solemn exchange, and wished he could somehow transport out of this room. Finally, he couldn’t stand the tension anymore and spoke, “Hi, Thomas.”

Thomas had been so focused on Shane went he entered the room that he hadn’t noticed Jason, and he started at the sound of the voice. He turned toward Jason, and fierce anger burned on his face for a moment before a mask fell.

“Jason, I had no idea you’d be here.” Thomas’s voice was neutral, and his face was now completely devoid of emotion.

“Look, Thomas,” Jason started, “I want to apologize…”

“Thank you,” Thomas said, expressionless. “You have no idea what that means to me. But I didn’t come here to see you, I came to see Shane. Do you mind giving us some privacy?”

Jason looked at Shane, who nodded. “Please, Jason.”

“Of course,” Jason said and left. Outside of the room, Jason slumped against the wall and put his hand over his face. He had had mixed feelings about Thomas McAlpin, but to think that the high spirited boy with the flashing eyes, sly grin, and impulsive nature had turned to that automaton. Jason would have preferred to have been met with the anger and fists he deserved than that emotionless acceptance of his apology.

Thomas turned to watch Jason leave, and when he turned back to Shane, his face had softened again. He walked over to Shane’s chair, and knelt beside it, so his face was level with Shane’s.

“How are you doing?” Thomas asked. “I know you were in a coma for a while.”

“I’m good,” Shane said with a slight smile. “Well, I’m doing as good as can be expected.” Thomas smelled of the Carolina Herrera cologne he had favored in college, and Shane closed his eyes for a brief moment remembering better times.

“How did you know where I was?” Shane asked, opening his eyes.

“I work for my father’s campaign now, and I was researching some crime data for a speech when I found out about the attack. I used some of his connections with the NOPD to find out what had happened to the victim and, voila! Here I am.”

“Well, I’m glad you found me, and I’m really happy to see you, but…..you should probably go.”

Thomas’s composure slipped, and his eyes darkened in anger. “Are you serious? You’re hanging out with that asshole who ruined our lives, but you’re telling me I need to leave? Jesus Christ, where did you even run into that fucker? Did you go look for him? I know you didn’t bother hunting me down.”

Shane’s guts clenched as he watched Thomas’s distress. He’d never expected to see the other again, and now still healing from his recent wounds, he wasn’t prepared for this confrontation, but it seemed he had little choice.

“Thomas….it’s not like that.”

“Like what?”

“I….I….your father told me never to contact you again.”

Thomas looked at Shane in confusion. “What? What does my father have to do with this?”

Tersely, Shane described Senator McAlpin and Dr. LeBlanc’s visit to the hospital, the academic arrangements, and the non-disclosure agreement he had signed. “Your father told me that if I even attempted to contact you, he’d make sure my scholarship was revoked, and I was expelled. I was an outcast and my father had disowned me. It felt like a degree was my only hope, so I agreed to the conditions. I didn’t even know where you were going. Your father wouldn’t tell me. ”

“Why did you leave school if your degree meant that much?” Thomas asked.

“How did you know about that?”

“When I finally got out of that conversion camp, and had a chance, I tried to track you down, but nobody knew where you had gone.”

“I don’t know what went wrong, exactly. Gossip had died down over Winter Quarter, but when I came back in Spring, people started talking about what had happened again even though I tried to keep my head down. One day, I got called to LeBlanc’s office, but he wasn’t there, just your dad. He told me that there was too much talk about you, so our agreement was null and void. He handed me my expulsion papers, and told me to get lost. Or else.”

Shane had to pause for a bit, shaken at the memory, “He..he told me that if I got in touch with you, he would make me wish the suicide attempt had worked. “And,” Shane swallowed, “he told me that if I had corrupted you past the point of salvation….” Shane stopped, unable to continue.

Thomas was staring at Shane, anger continuing to build in his eyes, though his face was expressionless. “What did the bastard say he would do?” he demanded.

“He was vague…...but …. he was threatening toward you…..I just figured it would be best to do what he wanted and disappear. I didn’t think anybody would miss me. I’m sorry….I guess I should have tried to at least try to say goodbye, but i didn’t want you to get hurt.”

At Shane’s obvious distress, the anger faded from Thomas’s eyes. “Shhh,” he said, putting an arm around Shane’s shoulders, careful not to jostle his injured arm. Thomas tightened that arm around Shane who rested his head on the brunet’s shoulder.

“It’s not your fault,” Thomas said and kissed the shorn head on his shoulder. After a bit, Thomas grimaced and shifted. “Sorry,” he said, “This kneeling is making me stiff.” He pulled away, and stood, shaking his legs.

“So how did you go from leaving Tech to ending up here?” Thomas said, moving to sit in a nearby chair.

“It’s too long of a story for today,” Shane said. “But I’ll tell you one day, I promise. What about you?”

“Same thing, a long story, but I can condense it. Conversion camp, evangelical college, mission trips. Dad kept me on a pretty short leash for a while, but after I decided to go with it and be the dutiful prodigal son and convinced him I’m on board with him, it’s been okay. I haven’t gotten a fatted calf yet, but he’s given me a plum job on his campaign team and relaxed the purse strings.”

Shane looked worried and uncertain. “Should you be here visiting me? Aren’t you worried about him finding out and what he’ll do?”

Thomas smiled, and it wasn’t a pleasant expression. “Not at all. Dad forgot that whole ‘keep your friends close and your enemies closer thing.’ Now that I’m working for him, I’ve discovered a lot of his dirty little secrets, though obviously not all of them. If he tries anything with me…...it won’t go well for him.”

“It’s that why you’re working for him?”

“He owes me and I plan on collecting, one way or another.” Thomas’s voice was harsh. Shane shuddered at his tone.

They sat in silence for a moment; Shane was uncertain about what to say. Then, Thomas glanced down at his watch, a serviceable, plain one with a leather strap. It was very different than the expensive watches he used to favor.

“Damn, I lost track of the time; I have a meeting downtown. Can I visit you again?”

“Of course….as long as you think it’s safe.”

“Don’t worry,” Thomas said with a smile that was almost like his old ones. “I really can handle my father now. You have my card, right? Get in touch if you need anything.”

“I will text you my phone number. It was good to see you, Thomas,” Shane said. “And….I know it’s asking a lot, but try to go easy on Jason...we all make bad decisions.”

Thomas stood at the door looking at Shane, his expression inscrutable. Then he smiled, but it was one of his new meaningless smiles, and said, “Sure. Anything for you.” And he left. As he walked down the corridor and through the lobby, empty except for Patrick, he pulled out his phone and scrolled through his contacts. As Thomas entered the empty elevator, he dialed.

“Spade, here” said the gruff voice on the other end of the line.

“Hi, Mr. Spade, this is Thomas McAlpin.”

“Hello, Mr. McAlpin,” the voice smoothed out. “Good to hear from you. What can I do for your father this time?”

“It's another personal job for me,not my father. I need you to find out everything you can about a Jason Reid…”

Jason had gone down to the cafeteria for a coffee and was starting toward the elevator bank when he saw Thomas exiting from the VIP elevator, talking on his phone. Jason, not in the mood to encounter the other man, stepped back behind a potted palm until the coast was clear. As he was about to head back toward the elevators, his own phone buzzed. It was a text from Viktor. Jason, we need to talk. I am downstairs in the car.

Jason looked at the phone, irritated with Viktor’s imperious ways. Looking up and through the windows of the lobby, Jason saw that Viktor’s town car was already waiting at the curb. He briefly considered telling Viktor to go fuck himself, but realized it was pointless. For now anyway, Viktor help too many of the winning cards.

Ramon jumped out and opened the back door as Jason approached. Jason had figured that Viktor wanted to talk about the plans for upgrading the apartment before Shane’s arrival, so he was surprised when Viktor’s first words were on a very different subject.

“What can you tell me about Thomas McAlpin?” Viktor said.

“What?” Jason asked, disoriented. “Wait….how did you even know he’s been here? Did Shane call you?”

“No,” Viktor said shortly.

“Then….how?”

“Shane’s room is under surveillance. Do you think that after what happened, I would allow him to sit around that hospital with the Mickey Mouse security guards and a concierge as his only defense? He’s been under my watch since the hospital called me.”

Jason couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “You’re spying on him?”

Viktor growled, growing obviously irritated. “I’m not spying on Shane. I am protecting him. Besides, this is a pointless discussion. What can you tell me about Thomas.”

“I don’t know anything about him. He’s Senator McAlpin’s son, but I’m sure you already know that.” Viktor nodded. “Other than that I don’t know. I haven’t seen him or spoken to him in years; I don’t think he’s even been back to his hometown since he left Tech. Now tell me why you want to know about him.”

Viktor gave Jason a searching look, his icy eyes focused on the younger man. “Shane’s attack was unlikely to be random. The men who attacked him….they were not everyday criminals. They were professionals.”

“You mean...like the mob?”

“Not exactly. They weren’t connected to a specific organization. More like muscle for hire, but still…..you had to have the right connections to be able to contact them. And I don’t know about his son, but Senator McAlpin has those connections.”

“Did you kill them?”

“I’m sorry?” Viktor looked startled at the question.

“The guys who attacked Shane. Was it you?”

“No. By the time my sources had tracked them down, they were already resting in the bottom of Bayou St. John.”

Jason was surprised. He had just assumed….”Then you think whoever hired them killed them?”

“It’s hard to know. People like that make many enemies, but still….that seems like too large of a coincidence. I would hypothesize that, yes, whoever hired them didn’t want any witnesses.”

Viktor quizzed Jason some more about Thomas, but finally satisfied that Jason had no inside knowledge, he allowed him to leave.

“Please don’t mention my suspicions about the Senator to Shane. I don’t want to alarm him.”

“Sure,” said Jason distracted. His head was buzzing with the events of the day….Thomas’s return, secret surveillance, hired guns, murder….. the realization that cameras and mics and God knows else what had captured his own private moments in Shane's room. He blushed remembering his tearful conversation with Paul. Not for the first time, Jason regretted his decision to go Le Coq that fateful night.

He made his way back to Shane’s room still in a daze. When Shane answered his knock, he went inside the room. Shane was back in bed, but sitting up. He looked almost as bewildered as Jason, but when he saw the look on Jason’s face, his gaze sharpened.

“Jason, is something wrong. Is it Thomas?”

Jason hurried to Shane’s side. He leaned over and whispered in Shane’s ear, “I think Viktor is bugging your room...maybe a camera,too.”

Shane answered in a normal tone of voice. “Of course he is.”

“You knew? Why didn’t you say something.”

“I really didn’t think about it. I guess I'm so used to it. He’s obsessed with security; his whole house is wired. Ramon’s not just his chauffeur, he’s also a bodyguard. I know that's why he contributed so much money to the hospital and this wing….so they would let him trick out a room with extra security in case he or someone close to him needed it.”

Jason sank down into a chair by the bed. “This is too much.” He thought of something and turned to Shane. “He’s doing that to my apartment, too, isn’t he? Putting in cameras and sound.”

“No. He’s not. At least not inside. He promised me cameras on the exterior only.”

“And you believe him?”

“Yes, I do,” said Shane. “I’m sorry you got mixed up in Viktor’s paranoia, but he’s really not a bad guy. And I’ve never known him to lie to me. And I should have told you." Shane paused, considering something, "But why did he tell you? That’s not like him.”

“Ummmm….” Jason stuttered, trying to think of a plausible reason. Before he could answer, a brief knock heralded Nurse Nix.

“Hi, you two,” she said cheerfully. “I’ve got good news. It looks like you’ll be out of here by tomorrow evening” she told Shane.

His face lit up. “Thank, God.”

“Hey,” she said. “That sounds like you’re not even going to miss me.”

“You, yes. This place and this damn bed, not so much.”

After she left, Shane asked Jason to grab him a pen and a notepad. “If you don’t mind, could you run and get some stuff for me from my place? I’ll make a list.”

“Sure,” Jason said.

Shane wrote for a bit, then handed the paper to Jason. “I wrote down where the stuff I wanted is so you don’t have to hunt too much. Look over it, and let me know if you have any questions.”

“Okay,” Jason said, taking the list and scanning it. When he got to the last item, his eyes widened, and he looked up at Shane who had a grim look on his face. “Are you sure you need all this?” he asked.

“No,” Shane said, “But better safe than sorry.”

Jason pulled up at the address Shane had written on the top of the list. He had a set of keys Ramon had left with Shane when the chauffeur had gone by the apartment earlier to pick up some things of Shane’s when he had first woken up. It took a couple of tries, but Jason found the key to the tall metal gate between the house itself, a towering Victorian, and the tall cinder block wall to the left. He passed down the narrow dark path, stumbling occasionally on the uneven pavers.

He emerged into a lush courtyard; it was a decent size, but most of the space was taken up by a small, kidney shaped pool. Jason found the door to Shane’s apartment and the corresponding key; when he opened it, he found himself at the bottom of a narrow twisting staircase. At the top, secured by another lock, was the door to the apartment itself. Jason had noted the numerous discretely placed cameras along his route.

He opened the door onto a light filled attic apartment. The living room wasn’t large, but huge dormers, tall enough to stand upright in, made the room seem much bigger. It was painted white and sparsely furnished, but the large drawings tacked to the walls, and the canvases stacked against the walls filled it with color. A small galley kitchen, raised on a platform, lay to the back and left of the door. Straight ahead was an opening that led to a bathroom and the bedroom.

Everything Shane had asked for was in the bedroom, so pausing only to briefly take in Shane's art, Jason passed through the living area. He quickly found the leather duffle exactly where Shane had said it would be, and went to the built in bureau nestled under the eaves and between the closets. Checking his list, he quickly found the tees, underwear, shorts, etc. Shane had specified and packed them in the duffle.

When he got to the last item on the list, though, Jason paused, sitting cross legged on the floor in front of the built-in. Was this really the best thing to do? he thought. Then he sighed and following Shane’s written instructions, he pulled the bottom drawer completely out of the bureau. Reaching into the resulting hole and feeling around behind the structure, Jason felt smooth metal.

He pulled out the box, slightly larger than a cigar box; it was covered in a thick layer of velvety dust. Jason quickly rose and went to the bathroom to grab a hand towel; he wanted this task over with. After wiping the box, he glanced around. Shane had assured him that there were no cameras in this apartment either, but he was paranoid.

Jason opened the box; inside, as Shane had written it would be, was a small revolver and a box of ammunition. Frowning as he looked at the weapon, Jason noticed there was also a jump drive in it. Shane hadn’t mentioned it, and Jason hesitated for a moment, but decided to leave it in the box. He hurriedly wrapped the box in a t-shirt, buried it in the duffle, replaced the drawer, and fled the apartment.

Copyright © 2017 mitchelll; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wasn't expecting this chapter so fast after the other one!
Hmm, Thomas seems slimy to me. After being out of touch with Shane for years he shows up when he's in hospital and knows where Shane is? Sounds fishy to me. I suppose we'll have to wait for the next chapter of find out why Thomas made contact again and what he wants from Shane; as I'm quite certain he wants something. Clearly Shane feels threatened, or he wouldn't have asked for his revolver.
I'm liking Viktor more than I did in the earlier chapters, he does seem to have Shane's best interests at heart. Or at least keeping him safe.

Link to comment
On 07/12/2016 06:20 AM, jagboi said:

I wasn't expecting this chapter so fast after the other one!

Hmm, Thomas seems slimy to me. After being out of touch with Shane for years he shows up when he's in hospital and knows where Shane is? Sounds fishy to me. I suppose we'll have to wait for the next chapter of find out why Thomas made contact again and what he wants from Shane; as I'm quite certain he wants something. Clearly Shane feels threatened, or he wouldn't have asked for his revolver.

I'm liking Viktor more than I did in the earlier chapters, he does seem to have Shane's best interests at heart. Or at least keeping him safe.

Thanks for reading!

 

#1. This was originally one chapter, but it got so long, I decided to split it into two. Therefore, most of the second chapter was written when I posted 15.

 

#2. I didn't mean to post it quite so soon, but I screwed up the delayed posting and decided to just let it ride.

Link to comment

I'm thinking Jason should have grabbed the drive.. It could be important.. I also don't trust Thomas.. Oh not at all.. He could have looked up Shane if he wanted to since he had his father in a position not to get in his way. Why now? Suddenly Jason and Shane may be in deeper trouble than they know.. It's a good thing Viktor's watching..
More suspense... Love it..

Link to comment
On 07/12/2016 12:03 PM, Defiance19 said:

I'm thinking Jason should have grabbed the drive.. It could be important.. I also don't trust Thomas.. Oh not at all.. He could have looked up Shane if he wanted to since he had his father in a position not to get in his way. Why now? Suddenly Jason and Shane may be in deeper trouble than they know.. It's a good thing Viktor's watching..

More suspense... Love it..

Jason did bring the drive. it was still in the box when he packed in the duffle. And I promise you'll find out what is on it one day.

Link to comment

Nice chapter mitchelll !

 

Thomas and the senator! Just who we need in the mix. ...haha
I like how Viktor goes from being the bad guy to possibly the good guy to the guy we don't like but might need. You've really kept him mysterious, and that's clever.

 

Living with Jason will be interesting, especially to his family.

 

Thanks for this chapter!

Link to comment

As creepy as Thomas was, this chapter has added so much depth to the direction things are now heading. Thomas is checking out Jason and I guess the big question now becomes what Viktor is checking out Thomas. I can't help but feel trepidation about what this will reveal about Thomas and what he will do with any information he finds about Jason. I have started catastrophizing about what could play out, though you have said in one of your responses to this or the last chapter not to worry too much about Thomas... not worry about him in this chapter, or on the whole? I guess the next question becomes what are Shane's thoughts and feelings right now? Hurricane Denise is still lurking on the horizon, maybe gaining some steam from the Gulf of Momsico. With Brad now out of the picture, Jason's support network is crumbling... who does he have left, beyond his father? Paul and Viktor are both problematic for obvious reasons, and Shane isn't going to be ready or capable of that for some time... Jason's going it almost alone. I guess that shouldn't be too much of a change from his usual, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter...now we not only have Denise and the Mom that never quits, to worry about, but you've now thrown the unforgiving, axe to grind Thomas into the mix!! :devil: And I'll stake all of my last $2 on the Senator being behind Shane's "accident"!!! In any case, happy that Shane's going to stay with Jason...so they can continue to work on their "reunion", he just needs to establish some "stay the hell away" boundaries with deluded Denise and demanding Mom!! Awesome job, Mitchell!!! :2thumbs::thankyou:

Link to comment

I read this on my phone days ago, but I kept forgetting to review!

 

Why am I not surprised that Viktor knows of Thomas' parentage?

 

I don't have a good feeling about Shane's gun. Or the flashdrive. I wonder what's on it...probably incriminating evidence or something. lol

 

This was another great chapter, Mitchelll! :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..