Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    Myr
    • Classic Author
  • 2,715 Words
  • 357 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For those of you that only think of New York City when someone says New York, please see the chapter End Note.

A Night on Pine Ridge - 1. Chapter 1

A Night on Pine Ridge

When you live in a tiny hamlet in the ass end of nowhere, smack dab in a forest, there is not a long list of things to do other than be outside. The hamlet didn’t even get high-speed internet until that huge satellite network became available.

Rowan Ash Willowbark, just eighteen, grew up here with his hippy mother. He had no memory of his father, only knowing him from his Native American grandmother’s stories. His mother named him after the natural world, though he wasn’t fond of his initials. With a Caucasian mother and Native father, he didn’t fit well in either group. Combined with his acutely eccentric upbringing, he was unique and independent.

The hamlet’s municipal building doubled as a county sheriff’s office, schoolhouse, library, and public gathering space. His mother was one of the three teachers, growing and selling local ‘herbal’ remedies.

The small cabin Rowan lived in with his mother was located three miles from the hamlet’s center and was in a small valley surrounded by thick forest. If you didn’t know it was there, finding it would take serious effort. They were off the grid, with limited electricity from a water turbine setup in the fast-moving stream down the valley. It was also their source of water.

His grandmother’s tribal stories of the surrounding area drove his keen interest in the outdoors and the strange legends of his father’s people. The common thread of those stories was firm in that they weren’t the only sentient beings in the area, no matter what modern science said. A tall, bipedal, hairy, manlike creature hid from humanity in the woods. In the Northwest, they’d call such a creature Bigfoot or a Sasquatch. The local word was only pronounceable to the few who still spoke the language.

Rowan’s keen interest in the oral histories of his heritage, especially the stories of the giant creatures living in the woods around them, led him to his interest in cryptozoology. Of course, Bigfoot is one of the most famous cryptids, other than the creature living in Loch Ness. Rowan ignored the people who called cryptozoology a pseudoscience. Strictly speaking, scientists have an issue with their accuracy track record. Over ten thousand peer-reviewed papers were withdrawn last year because they were inaccurate or falsified. The scientific community didn’t have much room to call other areas of study a pseudoscience so far as Rowan was concerned.

The fall day started like any other in Northeastern NY; it was frosty, with a chance to hit fifty degrees in the afternoon before plummeting into the twenties at night. Rowan was in the small library of the municipal building using the computer for research when the call came in for volunteers to help find three missing hikers. A fourth hiker had made it back with a wild tale of an animal attack, and he ran in one direction while the other three friends ran in the other, and he had lost track of them.

Rowan closed out his research and hopped up to help. They always needed more people who were good with tracking when they needed to find missing people in a hurry. Though no one said it out loud, the older locals gave each other sideways glances that Rowan learned early on. This meant it was probably something related to his research that the older adults wouldn’t discuss. Not many adults were willing to be associated with believing in a mythological creature, after all. That is a perfectly reasonable explanation, they would say.

The Sheriff’s son, Ethan, arrived in a truck with several other men just as Rowan got outside, where the others gathered. Ethan lived with his mother after the divorce and only recently joined his father upon her unexpected passing. A long time had passed since Rowan had spent any time with Ethan. It was not unusual for the two to practice woodcraft under the Sheriff’s or deputy’s close eye when they were boys.

The Sheriff walked up as his son and his companions joined the group.

“I want us to break into four teams of two. Rowan, can you take Ethan with you? He’s kept up with his experience in the forest but obviously isn’t familiar with this location.”

There was a slight shift of the Sherriff’s demeanor, and he stared a little more intensely at Rowan than was usual—as if willing him to get a message. Rowan tilted his head slightly to the side before nodding. “I will make sure he’ll learn of the local peculiarities, Sheriff.”

“Excellent. I need you to track along Pine Ridge. Witness indicates they were heading North by Northeast from around campsite seven. You’re the fastest of us in the woods, and I think Ethan can keep up with you. This will give you a higher ground to spot something. If you do, I’ll need you to call it in with coordinates.”

“No problem, Sheriff.”

The Sheriff handed Rowan a police radio, rangefinder, and handheld GPS.

“Grab two packs and hop on the truck with Ethan, and we’ll drop you off. There will be enough time for you to get up to campsite seven and set camp for the night before nightfall. It’s too risky for you up there to move around at night, even with good flashlights. Set up camp and do a few rotations at the overlook for any lights out there. Call those into the base. You should have a line of sight to the repeater up there. We’ll relay to the ground team for the satellite phones.”

Rowan nodded and grabbed two packs from a cart that another man rolled to the group. He handed one to Ethan when he joined him. They both got into the bed of the pickup together. Rowan immediately opened the pack and verified water, a blanket, and a knife were inside. Food was in a bear canister to keep the overlarge beasts from smelling their food and getting to it. Although they carried the electronics, he also had his father’s compass in his pocket. He’d kept it with him since his grandmother gave it to him.

“Hey, Ethan. I’m sorry about your mother.”

“Rowan. Thanks, man,” Ethan said, keeping his gaze down. He shifted and looked at Rowan again before continuing, “How have you been?”

“Well, I suppose. Doing a gap year of self-study before going to SUNY ESF for their Forest Ranger program next fall.”

“Still looking for the unusual out here?”

Rowan returned the soft smile Ethan was giving him. “Yeah. It’s still a hobby of mine.”

Another group of men hopped into the truck bed with them and greeted them both. The pickup rumbled to life with a belch of black diesel smoke and a hint of sulfur smell. “They will drop us in the valley before bringing you two to Pine Ridge. You sure you two will be okay up there by yourselves?”

“Yes, Deputy, I’m up there all the time, and I’ll make sure Ethan knows the places not to go.”

Ethan shifted over to make room for the newcomers, sliding over so he was shoulder to shoulder with Rowan.

The trip was quick, only three miles to the valley’s trailhead. The men clambered out, leaving Ethan and Rowan alone. It was another two miles up and through a switchback to get to the trailhead head for Pine Ridge. Both guys hopped out, grabbed their packs, thanked the driver, and hit the trail. They had to hike four miles to get to the camp location, though it was uphill. They kept pace together, and Ethan stayed close enough to occasionally bump shoulders.

They kept going straight to the prominent outlook point when they reached the campsite. The setting sun threw heavy shadows over the valley, and a brisk wind started to blow, causing both boys to shiver as they scanned the valley for any lights or other flashes but saw nothing. Ethan reached his left arm up and around Rowan, pulling him tighter to him in a side hug.

“I’ve missed you.”

Rowan leaned into Ethan but didn’t say anything.

“I’m sorry. I had to stay with Mom, and there were things I needed to learn.”

“I’ve been here, as I said I would be.”

“I’m here now, and I’m not planning on going anywhere again.”

“I’m going to school next fall.”

“I’ll be going with you.”

Rowan moved out of the embrace. “I’ll set up the tent if you take care of the food storage.”

Ethan’s head dipped in acknowledgment before he went off to do it, head still down.

Rowan quickly set up the small two-person tent while Ethan went off just over one hundred feet away from the tent. This was black bear country, and you didn’t want your food anywhere near your tent unless you wanted a large, uninvited, unamused visitor seeking food.

As Ethan’s task was more manageable, he rejoined Rowan and helped finish setting up the tent. As soon as they were done, Rowan went back to the overlook. The sun slipped behind a hill, bathing them in shadow as the last of daylight slipped.

This time, Ethan came up behind Rowan, wrapping his arms around him and putting his mouth down to nuzzle Rowan’s neck. Rowan rolled his head in the sudden sensation, which gave Ethan more access. Ethan nuzzled briefly before whispering, “There has only ever been me?”

“Yeah. I told you when we were fifteen that I wasn’t planning to do anything with anyone besides you, and I would wait for you until college.”

“Did you decide to do a gap year to postpone college just for me?”

Rowan stayed silent, letting the question hang. “You told me you would return to me when you learned what you needed to know. Did you learn?”

“Yes. I learned. I’m sorry I had to stay away while learning, but the lessons taught me that you are the only one for me. I didn’t understand that then, but I understand it now. Our connection is too deep to be shifted.”

“Are you talking about the legends of our people?”

“Yes. My uncle thinks your unique heritage triggered something earlier than it normally would and made it much stronger. The bond formed earlier than most and grew with us. And it’s all the stronger for it. You feel it, don’t you?”

Rowan felt the slight tug in his chest towards Ethan, causing him to gasp in shock. “Yes. How? What?”

Ethan held him close and whispered, “I have so much to tell you. One critically important thing you need to understand. We can’t have anything casual. We have to separate for good or get together for life.”

“I will stay with you for life,” Rowan replied firmly.

“Just like that? No questions? No explanations?”

“I felt that connection. Why wouldn’t I want to keep that?”

“What about your science?”

“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

Ethan turned Rowan around and leaned in. Sparks flew when their lips touched.

“What was that?” Rowan asked when he pulled away from the kiss.

“The universe holds mysteries beyond our comprehension, and wisdom lies in embracing the unknown. Does it matter what it was?”

“No, I don’t suppose it does.”

Ethan leaned in again but, this time, rested his forehead against Rowan’s. “I have so much to tell you, and with us staying together, I can tell you all about it.”

Rowan was quiet. Ethan stayed touching his forehead, and his hands firmly gripped Rowan’s waist.

Ethan loosened his hold. “We need to do a check out in the valley for lights. We can talk more later.”

Rowan was still quiet but nodded when he pulled away. They both walked over to the overlook and started to sweep the valley for signs of human life.

“There!” Ethan pointed while Rowan pulled out the rangefinder and followed Ethan’s direction to spot the light for himself.

“2500 yards.”

Ethan got the bearing. “North twenty degrees from camp seven. Sherriff said they were seen heading north by northeast. Twenty degrees would give that roughly.”

Rowan used the police radio. “Forest Ghost to base.”

“This is base. Go ahead, Forest Ghost.”

“We have lights at 2500 years north 20, from camp Seven.”

“10-4. Standby. We’ll confirm Rescue One location.”

The boys continued to sweep the valley, looking for more lights for the next few minutes.

“Forest Ghost, this is base.”

“Go ahead, base.”

“That is Rescue One.”

“10-4. Still sweeping for other lights.”

“10-4.”

They both kept sweeping for over an hour. Not spotting anything beyond the original lights from Rescue One.

“Rowan, look North, 340.”

Rowan looked. There was a minor orange flickering. He used the rangefinder. He keyed the radio again. “Base, this is Forest Ghost.”

“Go ahead, Forest Ghost.”

“We have a small campfire at north 340 and 3100 yards.”

“10-5. Standby as we relay.”

Ethan and Rowan continued to sweep the valley, looking for other signs of life.

“Forest Ghost confirmed that North 340 at 3100 yards is not Rescue Two and may be our missing people. The Sheriff sends thanks and recommends you go 10-7 for the evening and check in at sunrise.”

“10-4. Forest Ghost going 10-7 until sunrise.”

Ethan pulled Rowan close again as he shivered in the rapidly cooling air. “Let’s start our own fire and have dinner.”

They carefully set up the fire pit one hundred feet from the food storage location and the tent, following proper bear regulations for the area.

“I don’t think the bears are going to bug us.”

“Probably not.”

“Rowan, thank you for not asking me what happened, even though I see the questions percolating behind your eyes.”

“I promised you I’d not ask so long as you promised to tell me before we became intimate.”

“I’ve always envied your patience.”

“Grandmother tells me it is something I got from her lineage and would match my little friend’s needs. She could only be talking about you, but she would test my patience if I asked, so I did not.”

Rowan watched Ethan as he took a deep breath and then exhaled slowly. The slow crackle of their small fire and the wafting woodsmoke relaxed them both. Rowan gasped when Ethan pulled at that connection between them. Ethan opened his arms, and Rowan immediately took the hint and sat with his back to Ethan, being pulled close. The feeling of something missing that had been in the back of his mind for years faded away with the embrace.

“I think it was our bond that started everything for the both of us. We were both too deep right from the start because that bond wasn’t meant for a few barely teen boys. It’s meant for our age. I lost control when you went to the weeds to relieve yourself. That large creature you saw was me. The shock of seeing you from a very different point of view caused me to lose myself in my instincts. I got away from you, so I couldn’t hurt you if I lost control.”

“So when you returned a few minutes later looking frazzled, it wasn’t because you saw something that spooked you out in the woods, but because you became something that spooked you?”

“Yes.”

Rowan took a deep breath and exhaled slowly before breathing in. “My research wasn’t wasted. But now I’ll have to join the others in calling cryptozoology a pseudoscience.”

“You’ll be helping to protect our people.”

“I’ll do it to protect you. Protecting our people is just a happy side effect.”

They talked and cuddled for several hours before making everything safe for the night and crawling into the tent together. They slept shirtless together, wrapped in the two blankets. They were up with dawn and checked in with the sheriff station via the radio. They were greeted with the news that Rescue One had just managed to reach a makeshift camp where their missing campers had been set up due to the distance and bearing they had called in.

The two gently kissed each other in celebration before breaking apart and tearing down the camp. They still had much to figure out, but they had each other.

The End. For now?
Copyright © 2024 Myr; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
Adirondack Park in the Northeast corner of New York is a 9,375 square miles in size and is the largest park in the continental United States being larger than Yellowstone and Yosemite combined.  To put that in context, the Park itself is roughly the same size as the state of Vermont.  The park is larger than the states of New Hampshire, Massachesetts, New Jersy, Hawaii, Connecticut, Deleware, and Rhode Island.
It contains 85% of the wilderness on the entire eastern United States
There are 2,759 lakes inside the park and over 1500 miles of rivers
There are 46 mountain peaks over 4,000 feet tall in the park.
The Winter Olympics were hosted here in 1932 and 1980 at Lake Placid.
 
 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...