Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 5,417 Words
  • 3,043 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coyote - 1. Chapter 1

“Dad, Dad, come quick. We found a puppy. It’s stuck. Come help.”

Brad shook his head and smiled as his son turned and scampered back toward the building. He glanced around nervously, before following him.

The petrol station looked as if it was made as a set for some bad, Hollywood B movie – a horror at that – but twelve-year-old bladders know no fear and twelve-year-old girls are far more precious about peeing in the dust at the side of the road, that eleven-year-olds are. Rusty pumps that looked as though they hadn’t worked for years crouched wearily in front of a building that seemed to be held together by fading hopes and dreams. If it hadn’t been for the sign “Next gas – 50 miles, he would never have stopped. The car could probably have made it, but the twins would have exploded long before.

Keeping a weather eye open, he trudged in the direction Daniel had taken around the side of the building.

The toilets were even more ramshackle than the main building and Brad’s gut churned that he’d allowed his children to come within a mile of them. He headed toward them, but was pulled up short when Daniel popped up from behind a small bunker to one side.

“Over here, Dad.”

Brad groaned inwardly. What were they up to now?

“I heard it crying,” Dora said as he rounded the bunker. She was kneeling in the dust with a scrap of fur draped across her knees. “I think it’s stuck.”

As Brad drew closer he was horrified to find his daughter cradling what was unmistakably a coyote; a young one for sure, but a coyote nevertheless. The canine bared its teeth at Brad as he approached, a low, rumbling emanating from its rangy body.

“Dora, put it down and back away slowly.”

Both Dora and Daniel stared at him, in the disconcerting stereo only twins can manage.

“It won’t hurt us,” Daniel said, his voice full of scorn.

“It’s a wild animal,” Brad ground out. “It’s dangerous, especially if it’s hurt.”

“It won’t hurt us.” Dora mimicked her brother perfectly, including the scorn.

“It’s dangerous,” Brad repeated sternly. “Put it down and back away.”

“It won’t hurt us,” Daniel repeated stubbornly. “It said so.”

“It said so? Animals don’t talk.”

Daniel shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Not usually, but this one does.”

“Don’t be silly.” By now, Brad was standing over Dora and was able to get a good look at the coyote. It seemed to be in surprisingly good condition, it’s thick fur glossy and bright. The eyes that pierced him were bright and seemed to hold an unusual intelligence.

“Go on,” Dora said, gently. “Tell him what you told me. It’s okay, he’s our dad. He can come across a bit stuffy but he’s okay when you get to know him. He’ll help you, I promise.”

Brad was torn between indignation and amusement, but forgot both when the coyote lifted its head and said, in a tremulous tone, “Help! I just shifted into a coyote. What’s going to happen to me now?”

Brad gaped and unconsciously took a step back.

“See,” Daniel said smugly. “Told you so.”

“You will help, won’t you?” Dora said, twisting her head to gaze up at him.

Brad opened and closed his mouth a few times, searching for his voice.

“It’s never happened before,” the coyote said. “I-I mean, I knew it might, but I didn’t think…. My Alpha will kill me when he knows I’ve shown myself to humans, but I’m stuck and no one ever comes out here. I thought I was going to die. Please help.” The breathless terror tore at Brad’s heart and he found himself kneeling beside his daughter.

“Where are you hurt?”

“My leg. I…a car came and I hid behind here, but…there’s a hole. I didn’t see. I tried to pull my leg out, but a piece of wood fell. I think there’s a nail or something. I was scared to turn back because I…I’m bigger and I thought….”

The coyote petered out with a yelp when Daniel started yanking at the plank that seemed to be pinning his leg. It was a very animalistic sound and ended with a whine that bordered on a howl.

“Stop it,” Brad commanded, “you’re hurting him.”

Inching forward, still wary of the coyote’s sharp teeth, Brad carefully moved the wood just enough to be able to peep underneath. His stomach turned when he found a shallow hollow, gory with blood from the rusty nail that indeed pierced the sparse flesh of the coyote’s lower leg. Running his hand along the plank, he found one end firmly wedged under the bunker. It was rotted through and cracked right across at the edge of the bunker. It appeared that the thrashing of the coyote had bent it upwards. Unfortunately, it was still attached firmly enough to make it unlikely the creature would have been able to free itself without causing a lot more damage.

“Is there a saw inside?” he asked and a deep shudder ran through the coyote.

“Yes,” he whispered.

“Go find it,” Brad commanded Daniel, but the coyote stopped him.

“Just pull it out. Please. You’re going to have to at some point.”

“I might cause more damage.”

“As if a saw won’t. You can’t keep the wood still.”

Brad had to admit he was right. “Okay. Try to stay still. This is going to hurt.”

The coyote gave a short bark that Brad took to be a chuckle. It was cut short when he grabbed the wood and tugged hard in the direction he hoped would allow the nail to slide out cleanly. He was right but it clearly hurt and the coyote went limp across Dora’s knees.

“Dad, you killed him,” Dora cried.

“Don’t be silly, of course I haven’t. He fainted, that’s all.”

Carefully sliding his hands under the coyote, Brad struggled to lift him. He might have been little more than a pup, but he was a dead weight. As he struggled, the coyote stirred and growled. Brad quickly drew back.

“I’m sorry,” the coyote said, slurring slightly. “I can manage now.”

It was a struggle, but the coyote managed to struggle to his feet, holding his injured leg off the floor. Blood dripped from his paw. Far too much, Brad though.

“There are some benefits in being a dog,” the coyote said, his tongue lolling in what seemed to be a doggy version of a smile. “Three legs are better than one.”

Followed by Brad and the twins, the coyote slowly limped toward the gas station, leaving a trail of blood spots in the sand.

Brad was surprised to find the inside of the store was both cleaner and sturdier than the outside. The counter gleamed, as did the coffee maker, and the shelves were well stocked. Even the floor had been swept, even though it was a losing battle against the encroaching sand.

The coyote limped to the counter and nosed open a door behind it. “Please wait,” he said.

“Well that was weird,” Brad said as the door swung shut behind the injured canine.

“What? The talking dog? You don’t say.” Daniel grinned at him. Daniel was the kind of kid who rarely let anything faze him. The kind of kid who could take a talking dog in his stride.

Now do you believe in werewolves?” Dora asked with a long-suffering air, as if she had spent the greater part of her life attempting to convince her father and brother of the existence of werewolves. As far as Brad could remember, they’d never had the conversation.

“Don’t be silly, Dora, that’s not a werewolf.”

“Because it’s not a wolf,” Brad said.

Dora glanced up from the shelf she was browsing.

“So too is a werewolf. If spoke.”

“It’s not a werewolf, it’s a talking dog. Werewolves stand on two feet and go around biting people. That dog could have bitten us all if it wanted.”

“So that’s a fact, is it?” Dora demanded. “That werewolves walk on two legs and bite people? That’s the only thing werewolves do.”

Leaving the children to their heated conversation about werewolves, Brad went in search of somewhere his cellphone could pick up a signal. He was eventually able to call home.

“You won’t believe what just happened,” he told his husband. “The kids found a coyote shifter and are arguing over whether it qualifies as a werewolf.”

“A coyote shifter? Are you alright? They can be nasty.”

“He’s just a pup, and he’s hurt. Got his leg caught in a hole. It’s torn up and he might have broken it.”

“Does he have people close?”

“I don’t know. I’m about to find out. He mentioned his Alpha, but also said no one came out here. ”

“Where’s here?”

“A gas station in the back end of nowhere.”

“How far from home?”

“A couple of hours.”

“You want to bring him home, don’t you?”

“I can’t leave him here.”

Brad could practically see David rolling his eyes. “What if he doesn’t want to come?”

“Then it’s up to him. I can’t make him leave.”

“But if he won’t leave, you’ll stay?”

“I can’t leave him. And I can tell you I’ll be having words with his family when I do get to meet them. Leaving a pup out here all alone when he’s about to have his first shift. Do you remember your first time? I’ll never forget mine. I was scared to death, and I was surrounded by my family and unhurt. Besides, what kind of message are we giving the kids. I can’t leave him.”

“Do you want me to come out.”

“Yes, but don’t, at least not yet. Let me talk to the boy first.”

“Okay, call me back.”

Brad felt a good deal more settled after the call. He joined the twins browsing the shelves until he noticed how much time had passed.

“Do you think he’s alright, Dad?” Daniel asked, reading his mind.

“I guess I should check.”

When there was no response to a gentle tap on the door, Brad knocked louder but there was only silence on the other side. Had the boy run?

“Wait here,” Brad ordered, then slipped inside the room.

The living quarters were cool and comfortable, clearly air conditioned from the unforgiving heat of a desert summer. A small living area, with a tiny, open plan kitchen was immaculate and well appointed. The gas station might have been shabby but the back rooms certainly weren’t.

Glancing around, Brad saw no sign of the coyote, then picked up a trail of bloody pawprints leading toward a door at the back of the room. The door was ajar and Brad eased it open.

The bedroom was no less surprising than the living room. Although small, it was furnished with pieces that were solid and well maintained. The bed was large and looked comfortable. The boy sprawled across it looked anything but comfortable. Soulful brown eyes gazed at him from a pale face and the boy’s lip trembled.

“I tried to get my shorts on,” he whispered.

He was clearly in trouble. The shorts in question were a bloody heap on the floor.

“It hurt too much,” he whimpered.

“Okay, just lie still. Let me take a look.”

“But I haven’t got any clothes on.” The boy was clearly mortified by his nudity. “Don’t let the children in,” he gasped as an afterthought.

“Don’t worry, they’ve seen naked bodies before. It’s alright,” he hurried on, seeing the boy’s horrified expression, “I’ve told them to stay outside. They’ll be alright.”

The boy nodded as Brad sat on the bed. “What’s your name?” he asked. “Mine is Brad. The brats are Daniel and Dora.”

“Ahren.” The boy said. “With a h.”

“Okay, Ahren-with-a-h, let’s take a look.”

Ahren had tried to staunch the flow of blood with a towel that would probably have to be burned. Brad eased it off and was relived to find only a thick, trickle of blood still oozing from the wound. It looked nasty though. The nail had gone deep and Ahren’s struggles hadn’t done him any good. Neither had Daniel’s good-intentioned assistance. The wound was jagged and already swollen and angry.

“You need a doctor, Ahren,” Brad said, keeping his voice calm. “The wound’s deep and the nail was rusty. It’s going to be infected if it’s not cleaned out properly. You’ll need antibiotics and a tetanus if you haven’t had one recently.”

“I…no. I’m not good with doctors.”

“Would you rather the wound festered and gangrene set in so you’d either die or have to have your leg removed?”

“I….” Ahren’s eyes widened even further and he swallowed hard. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Where are your parents?”

“Dead.”

“What about your Alpha?”

“He won’t be by for a week or so.”

“Can’t you contact your pack?”

Ahren shook his head and Brad frowned. “What’s going on?”

Ahren shook his head again.

“Look, I can’t leave you here alone. How old are you?”

“Seventeen.”

“Jesus. What kind of pack do you have that they leave a seventeen-year-old in the middle of God-knows-where, alone for weeks on end, running a gas station?”

“Please don’t be angry with them.” He looked frightened now. “My Alpha….oh, I’m sorry, you probably don’t know….w-wait…you d-do know. How….?”

“Don’t worry about that. Worry about what’s going to happen to your Alpha when I get my hands on him. What kind of irresponsible pack leader—“

“I ran away,” Ahren spat out.

“What?”

“They were all making a fuss, a big deal…about the change. There are all rituals and mumbo-jumbo. I thought they were going to force me. I didn’t want it. I never wanted it. I just want to be normal.”

“You are normal,” Brad said, patting the boy’s arm. Tears were rolling down his cheeks. The kid must be exhausted as well as in pain and scared half out of his wits. “So, no one knows you’re here?”

Ahren shook his head.

“Will they be looking for you?”

He shrugged. “Probably.”

“You don’t sound too concerned. Aren’t you happy with your pack?”

Ahren sighed and shrugged again. “I guess so. It’s just…. Everything changes when it happens. I’ll be a full member of the pack and I have…responsibilities. I won’t be free anymore. As soon as they know it’s happened I’ll be a prisoner.”

“A prisoner?” Brad’s eyebrows shot up and Ahren shook his head quickly.

“No, not really. It just feels like it.”

“I don’t understand.”

“No, you wouldn’t. It’s…kind of complicated, and if you’re not like us….” He petered off into a groan as Brad dabbed at the wound to prevent the blood running onto the bed.

“What makes you think I’m not like you?”

“Huh?”

“What makes you think I’m not like you?”

“But, I…. I mean they…. They didn’t seem…. You don’t seem…. I mean, I don’t know. Are you?”

“I’m not a coyote.” Brad smiled. My husband and I are city dwellers now, but we’re originally from Bear Mountain, not too far from here.”

“You’re a bear? You’re really small for a bear. I mean…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to….”

Brad smiled, “No, David’s a bear, but I’m a mountain lion.”

“And the kids?”

Brad had to smile. The twins were only a few years younger than Ahren. “They’re David’s. Their mother was killed in an accident last year. They’re both bears, but they don’t know it yet. They’re not close to the change.”

“You haven’t told them?”

“We wanted them to have a normal childhood, to fit in with their friends without a huge secret burning them up, until they were old enough to understand what it means and to be able to keep it.”

“A normal life.” Ahren sighed. “I wish I could have a normal life.”

“I’m sure you will. Being a man isn’t all bad. You still have some freedom and you’ll get to hunt and…. What?”

Ahren didn’t look as if Brad’s words were reassuring him at all.

“You don’t understand. I have to….”

“I won’t understand anything unless you tell me. Do you have a first aid box?”

“I’m not sure. I think there might be one in the kitchen.”

A thought occurred to Brad. “You said you ran away.” Ahren nodded. “Then how the hell did you end up here? It’s clearly not as run down as it looks. Where are the people who live here?”

“Gone to Vegas to get married.”

“What? I’m confused. Get the story straight in your head and we can talk it through when I get back with the first aid box.”

The first thing Brad did was shut off the lights in the shop, close the door and hang the “Closed” sign up. The last thing he wanted was to have a car stop. Not that it was likely way out here.

He checked the kitchen, made a quick sandwich and sat the kids in front of the TV with a very brief, censored explanation of Ahren’s situation.

Ahren was dozing when he got back. He put a plate with a sandwich on the bedside table. Ahren started awake and eyed it hungrily.

“You can eat it once I’ve finished cleaning up your leg. I don’t want you spitting it all over me when something stings.”

“Oh. Okay.”

The first aid box turned out to be a good one and Brad set to work with antiseptic. Ahren whimpered but made no other sound as Brad prodded and dabbed. It must have stung like a bitch.

Finally, Brad laid a sterile dressing over the wound, which had stopped bleeding, and taped it down. To make sure, he bandaged the entire calf. Ahren watched silently.

“You look like you know what you’re doing,” he said as Brad packed away the things afterwards.

“I’ve done my fair share of doctoring. Bear Mountain is a wild place, and it’s off the grid.”

“Why don’t you live there anymore?”

Brad chuckled. “We were like you. I suppose. We got restless for something different and ran away.”

“You ran away?”

“Not like you. Right, get into bed. I’ll get rid of the stuff and you make a start on the sandwich. When I get back I want to know everything.”

“Everything?” Ahren’s eyes widened. Brad smiled and left him to stew.

Brad was surprised when, half way through making coffee, the bedroom door opened and Ahren limped out. He’d managed to get on a clean pair of shorts but was bare chested giving Brad a good view of lightly tanned skin and a fine musculature. If I were ten years younger, he though, then chuckled to himself. If he was ten years younger he’d still be going home to David. Ahren was a fine-looking boy, but David was beautiful – at least to him.

“Ahren,” Dora called. “That’s your name, right? It’s a lovely name. Come and sit by me. You’re very pretty. I like your hair. Tell Daniel you’re like a werewolf only not a wolf.”

Ahren had the same dazed expression most people wore when faced with Dora’s breathless speeches.

“Don’t bother Ahren,” Brad said, knowing he’d be ignored but trying anyway. “He’s not well. No, don’t sit there, Ahren, sit in the chair and put your foot up on the stool. You need to keep it raised.”

“I’ll help,” both Dora and Daniel said.

“Oh no you don’t,” Brad cautioned. “Bums on seats, please. No one touches Ahren’s leg. He’s in enough pain without help from you two.”

Grumbling, the twins complied, settling for bombarding Ahren with questions. He caught on surprisingly quickly that answers were not often required.

“So,” Brad said, handing out hot chocolates to all three. “What’s your real story, and who can I call to come get you?”

Ahren stared deeply into his cup, chewing on his lip. Finally, he sighed and closed his eyes. “My parents aren’t dead,” he said. “I thought if I said that you wouldn’t nag about calling them.”

“Okay,” Brad said carefully.

“He nags about everything,” Dora said. “Pops says he might as well be a woman, he nags so much.”

“Dora!” Brad was truly shocked, first that David would have said something like that in front of the children and secondly that Dora would repeat it.

“She’s lying, Dad,” Daniel piped up. “Pops has never said anything bad about you.”

“Well, I don’t believe that, but I’d be surprised if he said I’m like a woman in any way.”

Dora sniggered and Brad turned his attention back to Ahren. “Okay, your parents are still alive. Any particular reason you don’t want me to call?”

Ahren shook his head. “Not really. Not anymore. I’ll have to go back now, so it may as well be them.”

“Do you want to tell me the real reason you ran away?”

“I told you the truth – well mostly…almost.”

“Are you going to tell me the rest? You should know I’m going to do my very best to get in contact with your parents, so I’ll find out sooner or later.”

“There’s no way you could contact them,” Ahren said with a burst of rebellion.”

“There’s no information anywhere in this building that would let me track them? And even if there isn’t, a pack of cougar shifters in this general area shouldn’t be too difficult to find.”

“Alright, alright,” Ahren grumbled. He took a deep breath,

“My father is pack leader. He wants to groom me for the role after him, but I don’t want to be Alpha. I’m not like him. I don’t want to lead.”

It was obvious from Ahren’s demeanour this was something that had lain heavy on him for some time.

“Have you tried talking to him?”

Ahren snorted. “He’s pack leader, what do you think? When he’s not too busy he’s too focussed on keeping the dynasty going. He’s convinced I’ll “grow into it”.”

“Will you”

Ahren snorted. “Not a chance. Do I look like an Alpha?”

“What does an Alpha look like?”

“All the ones I’ve met have been big – body and personality. I’m not like that.”

“Then you haven’t met many Alpha’s. It’s a myth that they’re all muscle-bound meatheads.”

“What’s an Alpha?” Daniel asked and Brad kicked himself for having this conversation in front of the children. He’d hoped to wait until they were older to broach the subject. Oh well, this was as good a time as any, he supposed.

“It’s the leader of a group of shifters.”

“Like a scout leader?”

Ahren snorted and Brad gave him a hard look. “More like a governor, although they don’t really have a president.”

“We all have a president,” Dora said. “Everyone in America does.”

Brad mentally squirmed. “No all packs recognize the president, especially the big, powerful ones.”

“But…”

“We’re talking about Ahren right now. We’ll talk about this later with Pops.”

Dora and Daniel exchanged glances but subsided – for now.

“You’re not the first person to run from heavy responsibility, or to consider themselves unfit for it. Clearly your father thinks you are.”

“My father is more concerned about the dynasty, however fit or unfit I am for the job.”

“Your pack runs a family succession?”

Ahren nodded. “They decided it’s more stable than Challenge, and I guess they’re right, but at least with Challenge you know the Alpha’s fit for the job.”

“All you know is that the Alpha can fight, not that he’s fit to govern. Isn’t that what Betas are for?”

Ahren frowned but his forehead furrowed and his eyes took on an inward cast.

“Are you going to give me your parents’ details, or do I have to make some calls?”

Startled, Ahren snapped to attention again. “Alright, I’ll give you the number.”

 

Less than an hour later a car pulled in to the forecourt. Ahren was asleep and Brad was exhausted from fending off questions from the twins. He wasn’t ready for this and certainly wasn’t going to dive in without David’s input. To be honest, he was relieved by the distraction.

Ahren’s father was a typical Alpha, tall and broad with a musculature that wouldn’t have embarrassed a body builder. He was no meathead, though. There was a keen intelligence in his eyes, that bored into Brad. Nevertheless, he stood his ground and responded to a firm handshake with an equally firm one. He’d spent too much time with bears to be cowed by coyotes.

“Where’s my son,” the Alpha asked with no preamble.

“Asleep. He was exhausted from loss of blood and shock. He’s alright, on the whole,” he added quickly, at the Alpha’s concerned and startled expression. “His leg’s going to need medical attention but only because of the risk of infection from the rusty nail.”

The Alpha grunted and nodded, then swept past Brad, into the bedroom.

“He was rude,” Dora said, far too loudly.

“He’s worried about Ahren.”

“And he should be grateful to you for taking care of him.”

“Hush, Dora.”

Two men entered the room, obviously Betas. They were as brawny as their Alpha but also clearly intelligent and chosen for more than their strength.

“Hey kids,” one said. “What ya watchin’?” He seated himself in the chair Ahren had vacated and pretended to be interested in whatever they were watching. The other drew Brad into the kitchen for an in-depth discussion about what happened. He wasn’t threatening in any way, but Brad got the distinct impression that if he made any attempt to be less than truthful it would go badly for him.

When the Alpha strode out of the bedroom a few minutes later, he was carrying a protesting Ahren and would have walked straight out if Ahren hadn’t kicked and yelled until he was in danger of dropping him. Instead, he carefully set his son on his feet and Ahren rounded on him, his eyes flashing.

“Do you see? This is what I keep talking about. You say I’m old enough to make my own decisions, then you sweep in and make them for me, because they’re not the right ones; not the ones you’d make. But I’m not you. Don’t you get it? I’m not you and I’ll never be you. Being grateful is not a weakness. It’s not giving someone power over you. You don’t have to be strong all the time. Would it kill you to say thank you to Brad for being so kind to me? I might have died here if not for him because if you think I would have called you if he hadn’t intervened you’re mistaken.”

“Get in the car, Ahren, we’ll discuss this later.”

“No, we’ll discuss it here and now. I’m not going anywhere until you’ve said “thank you” to Brad.”

“I have my own words to say to Brad and they’ll be said when you’re in the car. If you’re not going to walk there, I’ll have Nicky carry you and it won’t matter how much you kick and scream.”

The Beta who’d been watching the children was now leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. Brad deduced by the smirk on his face that this was Nicky.

“At least let me say goodbye.”

The suppressed fury in Ahren’s voice spoke words about his relationship with his father. However angry one might be, one simply did not cross one’s Alpha, especially in the presence of strangers.

Brad was surprised when Ahren threw his arms around him. “Thank you for saving me,” he said with a fervour that made Brad wonder if, in part, his actions were a show for his father. “Even though I almost died, I’m glad it happened so I got to meet you. I’ve never met a lion before. It’s a shame your husband isn’t here because I’d have liked to be hugged by a bear.”

Brad noticed the Alpha’s eyebrows rise. Ahren wasn’t being subtle about his messages.

“It was good to meet you, too,” Brad said, hugging Ahren. “Sorry I’m not a bear, but it will have to do. I hope you get your issues resolved soon and well.”

Ahren shrugged, deflating like a balloon. He glanced at his father then turned away. At the last minute he turned back, drawing something over his head. It was a pale blue stone on a leather thong. Brad had noticed it before but thought nothing of it.

“It’s supposed to be a lucky charm,” Ahren said staring at the stone. “It hasn’t been very lucky for me recently.” He handed the stone over with a smile. “Maybe it’ll be luckier for you. If you’re ever back in cougar lands show it and you won’t get any hassle.”

“Are you sure?” Brad hadn’t failed to see the Alpha’s disapproving glare, but he said nothing.

“I’m sure.”

Ahren turned away again.

“Wait.” Dora tore across the room and solemnly handed him a woven friendship bracelet that had been made only a few days ago by a friend. “It’s not fair you should give us something and not have anything in return.”

Ahren seemed about to say something but he took the bracelet with a smile. “Thank you,” he said. “I’ll treasure it.” He actually sounded as if he meant it.

When Ahren had gone, accompanied by the two Betas, the Alpha faced Brad and was silent for a moment. The he nodded. To Brad’s surprise he clasped his hand in a firm grip.

“Whatever my son might think, I honour my debts and I will never be able to repay you for the one I owe you. My son might be headstrong and foolish, but he’s a good boy and will one day be a great man. His loss would have been a great blow to our pack and to our family. I shall never forget. Know this, that whenever you travel in coyote lands you will be watched and protected. You will never come to harm in a place under my control. You are a good man, and a good father.”

Brad was shocked at the sparkling glaze that washed over the Alpha’s piercing eyes. Although the tears were unshed, from such an imposing man they spoke louder than any words could. No wonder he wanted Ahren out of the way.

“He’s not happy,” Brad said, pushing his luck. “He feels under a lot of pressure. He’s very insecure about the prospect of becoming Alpha one day.”

To Brad’s continuing surprise the Alpha chuckled. “You may find it hard to believe,” he said, “but he is very much like I was at that age. He fears what he does not understand. Now the change has come and he is able to run with his brothers he will find true freedom, not the false freedom of being alone.”

Brad nodded, sensing the sincerity in the Alpha’s words.

With a final shake of his hand, the Alpha departed leaving Brad feeling oddly empty and longing for David.

“Can we go home now?” Daniel asked.

“I suppose so. Damn, I forgot about the house.” He ran out and was thankful to find the car still on the forecourt, although about to pull away. “What do I do about locking up?” he asked. Nicky grinned through the passenger window.

“You should torch it after the chaos they helped create, but I figure if you post the keys back through the door it wold probably suffice.”

Brad grinned and waved them off.

“Oh well, kids, better get in the car. We’ve still got a way to go and I want to be home before dark.”

The journey home was surprisingly uneventful. The twins were quiet, talking to each other in hushed voice, with their heads together. Thankfully, they didn’t mention shifters again. He almost convinced himself they’d forgotten.

As the car pulled into the drive, Brad’s heart leaped at the sight of his beautiful, big, cuddly bar waiting on the porch. He tumbled out and hurried to the steps. The twins, however, beat him to it.

“Poppa, Poppa they yelled” in unison. “We met a werewolf. What’s an Alpha? What’s a Beta? Can we learn how to change into wolves, too.”

With a sinking feeling, Brad gazed at David who, he was relived to note was smiling broadly. “Come on in and have tea,” David said. “I think we have a long evening ahead.

Copyright © 2017 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Very cute story :) It just goes to show that not everything is as it appears. Nicely done. I could also see this being a longer piece. ;)

  • Like 5
Link to comment

As usual, you wrote a really great story that covered alot of issues. Your writing is always superb. I enjoyed this short and would really like to read more. :thankyou:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/07/2017 02:50 PM, LadyDe said:

As usual, you wrote a really great story that covered alot of issues. Your writing is always superb. I enjoyed this short and would really like to read more. :thankyou:

Thank you so much. I do my best. This was a fun story to write.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/07/2017 03:35 AM, Valkyrie said:

Very cute story :) It just goes to show that not everything is as it appears. Nicely done. I could also see this being a longer piece. ;)

Thank you :D I doubt I'm going to expand, purely because I have so many other projects on the go.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/06/2017 07:40 AM, Efmaer said:

Lovely little short story that I can see easily becoming a longer one. Please?

Aw sorry you worried. I've been around, just not on here. I'm busy with publishing at the moment and as writing is now my profession and income I have to give it my attention. You might like to visit my website http://cherylheadford.com/ where I have free stories.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The innate curiosity and trusting nature of youngsters meets the angst of a teen. It hit just the right spot tonight. I'm glad I found it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a pleasant surprise to come across this story while I was looking for another one. The brief description intrigued me, so I bookmarked it and came back to read it. Everything was great! The plot, characters, dialogue, and the surprise of finding out Brad is a shifter too, all made this a most enjoyable story! I have to echo the other comments and say I would enjoy reading more about all these characters, but I want to add that this was very satisfying as is. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..