Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 1,735 Words
  • 2,571 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Morning - 1. Duncan's Story

Sitting at the kitchen table with the light on, Duncan gazed blankly at his bowl of cereal. He lifted the spoon, let it hang in mid-air for a moment before slowly dropping it back into the bowl. The contents were soggy and cold. Why had he made it in the first place? Habit, most likely. Something to try and make the day seem normal. The sight of the food didn't tempt him in the slightest.

The clock’s tick echoed in the silence. He looked at the hands, moving inexorably forward, without any thought that time applied to him. The old-fashioned radio sat mute in the corner furthest away from him, a thin film of dust obscuring the display. When had he last listened to Radio 4? It was an effort to sit in front of a soap on the TV. Trying to focus on current affairs, news, or discussions was beyond him.

In a burst of remembered summer sun, Duncan recalled he and his husband listening to the Today programme the morning after the Brexit vote. While cooking their breakfast, Brad swore at the radio to such a degree that it nearly made him laugh. In a way, it wasn’t funny; but listening to his normally softly-spoken partner vent his disbelief at the result in bursts of lurid Anglo-Saxon, made for a series of weird, three-cornered conversations.


To return to our main headline this morning, let's speak to our chief political correspondent who's outside the Houses of Parliament. So, Graham. What do you make of this momentous result?

Brad slammed the fridge door closed. “Momentous? Crap! This is what happens when you allow those fucking morons of politicians to lie with impunity.”

Well, Viv. Such a morning! Overnight, everything in politics, in the country, has changed. A result none of the pundits were able to forecast has taken the entire nation by surprise.

“Surprise? What fucking surprise?” His husband stood at the cooker, brandishing a bright red silicone spoon at the radio. “If you bloody reporters moved outside your metropolitan bubble and visited any pub hereabouts, you'd soon change your mind. Idiots!”

We're in uncharted waters, Viv. Let's go over to one of my colleagues in the West country to hear more news and views from the Prime Minister's constituency.


And so it continued. The ever-changing duos of interviewees, commentators, and the anchors were all overlaid with Brad’s baroque, smouldering riffs.

Duncan sighed. Uncharted waters? Yes, he knew about those; he had yet to return to a safe harbour.

Both of them were so involved listening, they missed their usual cues; the weather report came and went without either of them moving. They listened to the news headlines again without the twinge that came from knowing they would be late for work. As ever, it was Brad who got them moving. Left to himself, Duncan could happily sit for hours letting his mind wander, waiting for inspiration. Instead, his partner rousted them out of the house in five minutes flat.

That was Brad all over. He never forgot things. He was organised, disciplined. A watery smile appeared on Duncan’s face. If he'd taken on the task, they would never have got away on holiday; the unfathomable web of journey planning, seat reservations, hotel bookings and all the rest of it would have defeated him from the outset. He stirred, pushing the bowl away. The June sunshine of his memories was replaced by the grey reality of a lonely, dull November day.

You’ll be late for your own funeral, Duncan Mackenzie. That was one of his mother’s favourite reactions to his inevitable tardiness. Well, it wouldn’t happen on that day, of all days.

Suddenly, a younger, student Brad appeared smiling in his mind’s eye. A grimace briefly passed over Duncan's lips in response. They were both runners when they first met at university. His future husband often turned up at an ungodly hour of the morning, impatiently ringing the doorbell at his shared house until he surfaced. Duncan recalled one particular occasion on a cool, late April day.


“Coming for a run, Dunc?” Brad was always raring to go.

“What – now?” He'd had a late night and felt hungover. Standing shivering on the step in his undies, the open front door invited him back to a warm bed.

“Of course!” Brad leant in, careful not to touch him anywhere he shouldn't. “If you join me now, I can promise you some… excitement on the way.”

“Hmm?” He stepped back to look the other man in the eye. “And what 'excitement' might that be?”

A smirk greeted him. “That would be telling.”


This time, a genuine smile appeared on Duncan's face. He would never forget that day. Once out of town, they headed off towards a small wood.


At the edge of the expanse of trees, Brad came to a halt, giving him chance to catch up finally. It was rare that Duncan managed to out-pace the other runner.

A smiling face awaited him. “You up for a game?”

“Err… maybe.” A serious-minded student, many things embarrassed him. “Depends.”

“It'll be fun, and you'll enjoy the prize.”

“What prize?” His suspicions were aroused.

“You'll discover in good time.” The smile had transformed into a smirk. “Assuming I decide to claim it, that is.”

It took a moment for the implication to hit home. “Bastard! Who's to say you're gonna be the winner?” He marched up to within kissing distance of the other man. “Arrogant tosser.”

“That's me.”

The power of Brad's grin went straight to his cock as always.


One finger traced a line back and forth across closed lips as Duncan placed himself back in those times. The absolute worst of the AIDS epidemic and the accompanying hysteria was over by the second half of the Nineties. HIV was still a significant threat though and it continued to cast a pall over his love life as with many others. At that point of his relationship with Brad, they hadn't gone any further than kissing and some fevered groping.


“OK.” Brad rubbed his hands. “I'll count to fifty while you go and hide somewhere in the wood.”

“Hide and seek?” The disbelief was mirrored in his expression. “We ten year-olds again?”

“No – I hope not. Let me finish. When I spot you, that's your cue to run back here. If you manage to get to this stile without me catching you, it'll be a miracle.”

“Pride comes before a fall, as my Mum is fond of saying.”

They both sensed an edge in the atmosphere between them – the primordial thrill of the impending chase. His heart thudded as the adrenalin kicked in.


Even now, his pulse quickened at the memory.


From his hiding place in an ivy-strewn copse, he tried to imagine the way back. It was hopeless; even if the sun was properly visible, he had no idea where he, or the start point, was in relation to it. A faint crack from a dry twig alerted him. Though he was hidden, equally, he couldn't see out. Cursing himself for an idiot, he attempted to stick his head out briefly.

“Gotcha!”

As a pheasant runs aimlessly from side to side in front of an oncoming car, utter indecision was his downfall. Almost immediate capture resulted in them both retreating back inside the densely-covered space.

A kiss followed – ardent and fierce. His surrender was complete until Brad drew away. They stared at each other, gasping. The close, pheromone-drenched air reeked of sex. Or the promise of it.

“So was that you claiming your prize?” He knew the answer he wanted to hear.

“What d'you think?” Brad drew closer.

Mesmerised, he shook his head.

“Great reply.” His boyfriend knelt down in front of him. Reaching out to caress the globes of his arse kept Brad's hands occupied. Hungry lips outlined his raging hard-on through thin, silky running shorts.


At the memory, his neglected organ gave a twitch. Duncan recalled vividly the feelings of an almost overwhelming desire shot through with anxiety.


Brad looked up, hands now poised at his waistline, ready to pull down the shorts. “OK, Dunc?”

He gulped, swallowing desperately. A nod was all he could manage.

As Brad gradually exposed the prize, he kept up a soothing stream of talk. “My beautiful gazelle, you have no idea how good this'll feel. How much I love you. How…” Unable to contain himself any longer, Brad kissed, licked, and fondled everything in range.

His boyfriend delivered the coup de grace by swallowing his cock whole, until the hot breath from Brad's nostrils warmed his pubes.


Duncan shifted in his seat. That a simple blow-job could produce such ecstasy was a revelation. When the climax came, his knees buckled, pleasure short-circuiting his brain. After a few minutes of recovery which they spent cuddling, the two men jogged back to the starting point. Brad of course, knew the way without any problem.

He sighed. If he was a 'gazelle' as his partner often called him, then Brad had the spirit of a panther or a cheetah in the bedroom. Swift, fierce, but also passionate and loving, in his hands their lovelife rarely palled. The theme of the chase became one such integral part. Later on, even if it was only the dash upstairs, it always got them going.

Tears dribbled down onto his cheeks. Sport was still part of his husband's life until an intense game of squash felled Brad at forty-four. An undiagnosed structural fault suddenly caused his heart to fail.

Duncan drank the tepid coffee, ignoring the wetness which had become a part of his life. With a sigh, he turned to his many scribbled lists. A memorial service seemed to involve even more planning than a funeral: guest list, speakers, music, seating, readings, and of course, Brad. The worry that he’d mess up some element had kept Duncan awake for most of the previous night. He woke up from a troubled doze with a flavour lingering in his mind; the hint of a cartoonish image – more a gif, perhaps – of an elephant chasing someone.

A slow smile surprised him. Of course… Why hadn’t he thought of it at the time? Though it was hardly flattering to his husband. The smile widened. The realisation comforted Duncan: somehow, Brad would ensure nothing was forgotten. After all, it was his day.

This started life as a prompt which had to answer the question 'What does it mean when an elephant chases me in a dream?'. Hence the slightly weird ending. However, I liked Duncan as a character, so I chose to expand on the original response. In fact, Duncan (and Brad) are the most likely candidates to populate my next multi-chaptered story.
Tell me what you think of this, and the story. Add your thoughts; they all make up the conversation.
Copyright © 2019 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 11
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



3 minutes ago, northie said:

No. Don't forget this is a standalone prompt. The scenario of Duncan being recently bereaved is likely to be the starting point, but the driver will be him taking control of his life. So mostly looking forward; still it is inevitable there will be looking back as well.

It sounded to me as though the story was going to be about Duncan and Brad, rather than Duncan after Brad…
;–)

Link to comment
2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

It sounded to me as though the story was going to be about Duncan and Brad, rather than Duncan after Brad…
;–)

It is Duncan and Brad, only Brad isn't there; he's in memories. Though I imagine they'll still have conversations.  ;)  We'll meet Brad through Duncan, and through others. Yes, there'll be additional characters; probably one or two quite important ones, but Brad will still be around.  I'm speculating here... if it's in a 3 volume format, 1 would be mostly those two (with others obviously); 2 - Duncan widens his circle more - different characters, things happening in his life; 3 - who knows? Maybe Duncan finds someone else special?

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I like the concept of picking up the remaining bits and moving on with life.

Thanks, dugh.  :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Superbly done, northie. It brought tears to my eyes by the end, but I had a lump in my throat from the beginning. I like your idea of this being a starting off point for a new story. :worship:  Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, northie said:

:rolleyes: As I say in the story notes...

But as I've got both Eric and Soul Music to finish, it'll be quite some time before I get going. I have vague plans which will solidify over time.  ;) 

I am just reinforcing those plans, is all. I wish I had completed everything I ever started. There would just be room for you and me on this site! :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Headstall said:

It brought tears to my eyes by the end, but I had a lump in my throat from the beginning.

Thanks, Gary. I'm very pleased it got to you.  ;) As soon as I wrote the original prompt, I had a good feeling about it. You know me: pile on the emotion. :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

There would just be room for you and me on this site! :)

You'd offer me a corner? :o  Wow, I'm honoured. :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I feel very sorry for Duncan, he's so lost without Brad. It would probably have been easier for his husband, at least with the practical matters, if it had been the other way round. But it's early days yet after his loss, and you're giving us hope for his future.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

But it's early days yet after his loss, and you're giving us hope for his future.

Yes, indeed. I don't imagine it will be a straightforward journey but, yes, it will head towards the light.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Beautifully written describing what I can only describe as a 'bitter-sweet' moment in life. The possibilities of taking this story forwards or backwards, or even both, are there and your talents would definitely do it justice. I'll look forward to any additions you make. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mancunian said:

The possibilities of taking this story forwards or backwards, or even both, are there

Yes, indeed. It is rich in possibilities which is why it stood out as something to be explored. As I've said elsewhere, it will be a while as I have other stories in progress. I'm very pleased you enjoyed reading this.  :)

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..