Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 3,681 Words
  • 1,600 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Soul Music: Love Encountered - 14. Decisions

Life is full of decisions, great and small. Geoff makes a big one of his own.
A response to prompt 492.

“Now what do we do? I know. Who's for going down the pub to celebrate? We can't get pissed, but we'll get bloody close.”

In the corridor at work, Geoff turned his head to see who was talking so loudly. He wasn't at all surprised to see it was the burly, overweight bloke from Support Services, surrounded by his mates, all with equally large beer guts. It was rumoured he never did a thing. Just sat in his cubby hole and ate, drank, and gossiped with anyone who passed by.

That Wednesday was the day of reckoning. For some reason, the management had decided to disclose everyone's interview results on the same day. Geoff took a calming, deep breath. He was fine, thank god. He had a new, full-time job, on the same pay, and still in his present location. It was as much as he could've hoped for, but his immediate feeling was one of relief. He'd been told by his manager half an hour before. His legs were still shaky and he almost felt light-headed with the lifting of several weeks' worth of tension and worry.

What those people were feeling who hadn't been so lucky, he didn't like to think. They were now working their notice out with immediate effect. And after that? Trying to find another job as quickly as possible, with only the thin cushion of their redundancy payment to see them through. Which was why he thought the other man was being heartless. Yes, go off and celebrate if he wanted to, but don't rub everybody's face in it.

“That's Dave for you. Sensitive to the last.”

“Sorry?” Geoff snapped out of his brown study to find he'd been joined by Gurpal Singh, a tech specialist from the office next to him. “Oh … him? Yeah. How does a lazy sod like him manage to get a job when so many others haven't?”

Gurpal grimaced. “Didn't you know? He's a union rep. Management probably decided it was less trouble to have him lazing around than fight him all the way to an industrial tribunal.”

“What?” Geoff couldn't believe it. “Didn't notice him working all hours like Yaseen. In fact, I don't think I've read or heard anything from him since this whole thing started. Yaseen on the other hand, has been back and forth to the union regional offices on a weekly basis.”

Gurpal shrugged. “Glad I'm gonna be out of it very soon. This Friday is my last day. Me, Ahmed, and Kacper from catering are off to pastures new.”

“Kacper?” Geoff vaguely recalled a face seen in the canteen behind the counters.

“Yeah. Back home he was a techie, but his qualifications weren't quite good enough to get him a job over here. A bit of retraining and he'll be fine. He's a very hard worker and he's keen.”

“I wish you all the best, Gurpal. You'll be missed.”

Geoff prepared to move off. His companion held him back for a moment.

“Thanks, Geoff. Hope the new job goes well. Keep in touch, won't you? You've got my email and such, haven't you? I mean it. Yeah?”

Geoff smiled. “Yeah. I will. Bye.”

Leaving the other man behind, Geoff headed off down the corridor towards the main door and the fresh air offered by the sunny April day outside. He would try to keep in touch. Gurpal and he had become friends after their first encounter on the day of the wretched announcement that started everything off.


Geoff strolled along the main street towards the Market Square and Gianni's, the Italian restaurant he and Tony had grown to love since their first, excruciating meeting. The food wasn't pretentious or eye-wateringly expensive, just good, fresh Italian cooking, and a staff who were friendly and efficient. Geoff's mind took him back to the first meal they'd had there. How Tony had found anything to like in the embarrassed, mumbling, stuttering wreck he'd been that day, defeated him. But he had, that was the important thing, and their relationship was now the mainstay of his life.

As he approached the restaurant, Geoff saw that his boyfriend had beaten him to it as usual. He was sitting at their favourite table with a bottle of what looked suspiciously like bubbly of some kind. Celebrating there wasn't a problem. He would be with the man who'd given him the strength to get through the past few weeks. They both deserved a good meal. He was greeted as soon as he opened the door by a woman acting as maitre d'.

“Hello, Mr Lumsden. Welcome. Your friend is already seated.”

“Hi. Yes, thank you. I had spotted him. He often gets here before me.”

Geoff turned and looked in Tony's direction as he was speaking before then hurrying over to the table. His boyfriend welcomed him with a beaming smile and a glass of cava.

“Well done, love. I knew you'd do it.”

Geoff took the glass and sat down carefully. They clinked the glasses and both took a sip.

“You thoroughly deserve your new job.”

“Thanks. I did it with your help. I don't think I would've done otherwise. Feel sorry for those poor bastards who didn't get anything.”

Tony shrugged. “In these situations, it's the survival of the fittest. You can't afford to be soft. We both know that now.”

“Or those with connections survive.” Geoff growled in his throat, then recounted what he'd heard about the union rep.

“Let's hope he finally gets his comeuppance, sooner rather than later. Don't let it spoil your day, love.” Tony started to hand over a menu but stopped mid-action with an amused snort. “Entirely automatic … Unless you're gonna change your mind in honour of the day, perhaps?”

Geoff smirked and shook his head. “I have got a defence. Need to be back at work quite soon, so my usual pizza is an excellent and appropriate choice.”

“Yeah, yeah.” An amused roll of the eyes.


Tony put his dessert spoon down in the empty bowl – the tiramisu had disappeared very quickly. “I was thinking of having a small celebration dinner next weekend …”

“OK …” Geoff's look was cautious. “You, me, and who else?”

“Your friend, Helen.”

Geoff smiled.

“And my sister, Zoe.”

Geoff's eyes widened in alarm. “Ehm …”

Tony unobtrusively reached across the table and stroked the back of his boyfriend's hand. Only for a moment though. The restaurant staff probably assumed they were a couple by now, but he didn't want to flaunt it.

“Dearest Geoff, I would like you to meet my sister – she's the only close family I have really.” He wasn't going to waste time trying to introduce Geoff to his father.

“Yes, but …” Geoff still looked apprehensive.

“She'll be on her best behaviour, I promise. And Helen'll be there as well, don't forget.”

“Yes, you're right. Where were you thinking of?”

“Just at home – yours or mine, it doesn't matter. I want us to be able to relax. To have a good time without having to watch our every move.” Tony gazed at his companion with deep affection. “If I want to kiss or cuddle my boyfriend at any time during the evening, I will.”

Geoff's eyebrows shot up. “Thinking of putting on a show or something?”

“No, you idiot. You know what I mean.”

They both laughed. Geoff checked the time.

“You OK for another couple of minutes?”

“Yeah, just about.”

“I was thinking I'd be the cook at the weekend. Perhaps push the boat out a little. Put my cooking skills on display. Hmm … an hour or so's searching my recipe books for inspiration will be fun.”

Geoff snorted. “You'll be setting up your own restaurant in no time.”

“Not likely. I'm not spending that amount of time in a kitchen. … You still OK for Friday?”

For once, they'd managed to co-ordinate a day off together.

Geoff blinked.

“Bed shopping?”

“Oh god, yes. Sorry, this morning's news seems to have obliterated everything else. I'm looking forward to it. Sort of.” Geoff started to gather his stuff. “I really must be getting back. Thanks for this. Tony. I'll leave you to finish the wine, shall I?”

“Oh no. I've got work as well, you know. See you later, love.”

“Don't forget I've got to go home first. Calling my mother. Bye.”

Both men would've liked to say 'goodbye' with a kiss. Instead, Tony's expressive eyes and loving smile did almost as well.


Hello?

“Hello, Mum. It's Geoff.”

Oh, hello, son. I was only thinking the other day you haven't been phoning as much as you used to.

Geoff silently pleaded guilty to the charge. He now spent so much time over at Tony's, he wasn't able to call his mother as often as he should. She disliked receiving calls from a mobile, so he was obliged to call her from his landline. And as he wasn't there so often …

“Sorry, Mum. Life's been a bit hectic recently. Playing and so on. Anyway, I'm phoning to say I got the job. They told everyone this morning.”

Oh, well done. It's what I expected. They would've been very short-sighted to reject you. You work so hard. And you're hardly ever off ill. You might've phoned this morning, you know. Instead of leaving it until now.

Geoff bit down on his lip for a moment and stopped doodling. “I didn't phone 'cause I know you don't like it when I call from my mobile. So it had to wait until I got home.”

I would've made an exception for such good news.

As usual, Geoff couldn't win. He started idly sketching again – formless squiggles mostly.

Mrs Johnson's son … You know, Steve? He's been let go by the bank he works for. A couple of weeks ago, she said. He'll have to move to the city apparently, if he wants to continue working in banking.

Geoff didn't reply immediately – he was too busy scouring his memory. “Err … Steve?”

You must remember Steve. He was in the same year as you in high school, wasn't he?

Geoff started to get a bad feeling about where the conversation was going. He'd spent a number of years forgetting as much as he could of his time in high school.

Sporty lad, always winning things. Got into the local paper several times. Surprised he didn't go on to greater things. Good looking as well, from the photos Mrs Johnson has of him. How he ended up working in finance, I don't know …

That explained it. Geoff stopped listening to his mother although she was still talking. The pen was used to dig into the paper, making inky furrows and pits. He chewed at one of his fingers as he delved into the past.


He was never sporty. Never won anything – academic or otherwise, as his mother kept on pointing out. Looking back, it wasn't malicious, rather a mother's wish to be able to stand out because of her son's achievements. An uncoordinated youth, he wasn't agile, or particularly strong, or fit. If he had been a geek, it would've been some sort of compensation. But he wasn't. He remained resolutely middle of the road for the whole of his school career. Geoff sighed, making sure the handset was well away from his mouth as he did so. The twice-weekly compulsory sports periods were hell for him. No captain or team leader ever chose him to be part of their side. Instead, he would end up being allocated to one or the other by the teacher in charge, a handicap to be ignored at best.

Geoff surfaced momentarily, registered that his mother was still wittering on, and returned to his memories. Once rumours of him being gay had started … Where had they come from? Probably from his lack of girlfriends, and his interests in music and gardening. It was as if being different from the norm automatically equated to being gay. Anyway, it was the signal for the start of sporadic, low-level sexual harassment. Enough to make him feel miserable, but not so that it would've been worth going to the school authorities about. That in itself would've invited retribution. He still couldn't remember who 'Steve' was precisely, He must've been one of a small group of athletes, all of whom were complete bastards. Losing his job? He had no sympathy whatsoever.


Geoff? Are you still there? You're awfully quiet.

His mother's querulous tones jolted Geoff back into the present. “Sorry, Mum. I got distracted by something. I'm afraid I've not been paying much attention. … Sorry.”

I thought you'd left me hanging.

He fished around in the odd snippets from his mother's gossip that he could recall. “Err … What was it about the butcher?”

His mother sniffed loudly, expressing her displeasure. As I was saying … The food inspectors found all sorts of things in his shop. You know, the sort that shouldn't be there. They forced him to close the business immediately. Don't know when he'll reopen.

Geoff wasn't at all surprised. He'd never understood why his mother insisted on patronising the shop – the meat always looked uninviting, and the shop never appeared clean.

“Oh, dear. That'll mean you'll have to find someone else. Or buy your meat from the supermarket?”

I'll never do that. You don't know where the meat's come from. Or what it really is sometimes. I think …

Once again, Geoff had largely tuned his mother out. He'd suddenly come to a decision. Abruptly tearing the sheet of paper off the pad, he scrunched it up and threw it hard in the direction of the wastepaper bin. Being reminded of his miserable school days had started it.

“Mum? Can I come round one day next week? There's something I need to talk to you about.”

You're always welcome. You know that.

“I'll check with …” He'd meant to say Tony, of course. “My diary, and I'll phone at the end of the week. OK?”

That will be fine. Bye for now.

“Bye, Mum.”

Geoff put the handset down. OK … all he had to do now was work out how to tell his mother he was gay, and in a relationship. But he wasn't going back on his decision. He hoped Tony would have some ideas.


“Hi, Zoe,”

Hello, brother dear. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Tony rolled his eyes.

Hey, you can cut that out.

They were video-calling.

I asked a perfectly reasonable question.

“And I'm going to give you a perfectly reasonable reply. Geoff and I are planning a small celebration meal next weekend, and I hoped you'd be keen to meet him.”

Wow … this is getting heavy. Is it a 'meet the family' kinda thing?

“Something like that. Geoff's been successful in applying for another job in the council. So I suggested it would be good to have a small gathering to celebrate.”

You'll be cooking?

Tony restrained a grin as his sister's face lit up at the prospect of good, free food. He knew most of her salary was eaten up by housing costs.

“Yes, Zo. The chef will be on the premises. You haven't suddenly turned veggie, or something, have you?”

Zoe chuckled with a mischievous glint in the eye. Now … what would cause you the most bother? The raw food diet? Err …

“I'll take that as a 'no', thank you.

You're no fun.

“Yeah, yeah.”

Who else is gonna be there?

“Just one other – a friend of Geoff's. She's called Helen.”

OK. I'm busy Sunday. How about Saturday?

“Yeah, if that's what you'd prefer. We're open about which of the two days it is. It'll be in the evening, of course …” Tony assumed an expression of mock-surprise. “So you mean you're not gonna be out clubbing in search of your next unsuspecting victim?”

Zoe was currently unattached. She scowled, and gave him the finger.

If I go out clubbing, it's with my mates. Anyway, can't afford to go out that often. I've gotta eat, you know. And pay the bloody rent.

Tony gave a sympathetic sigh. He might earn more than his little sister, but still didn't seem to stretch very far.

“One last thing, Zo.” Tony watched his sister lazily raise an eyebrow. “Geoff's still quite shy, and he scares easily.” He looked meaningfully at the screen.

Undaunted, Zoe looked straight back at him. Don't tell me, I can guess. You'd like me to behave.

“Pretty much.”

A petulant moue. I always behave.

Tony snorted loudly. “Yeah … Like I win on the lottery every week.”

An answering smirk.

“Don't know exactly what time yet, Zo. Probably seven thirty or thereabouts. OK?”

Fine. Looking forward to it, despite everything, Tone. Bye!

“Bye.”


Strolling through the department store towards the bed section, Tony had to keep on stopping himself from reaching out to hold Geoff's hand. It was almost like a twitch – no sooner had he returned his hand to his trouser pocket, than it was starting on its outward journey once more. He smiled and shook his head slightly. Was it because of how much closer they'd become over the past few weeks? Or perhaps it was more, what they were going to buy? And what it would hopefully be used for.

Geoff looked sideways. “Everything OK?”

“Yeah. Sorry. I just have this almost irresistible urge to hold hands with you while we're walking.”

“Ah … That explains something that's been catching my eye. Your hand's bid for freedom before you cruelly restrain it.”

They smiled at each other. The two men were walking so close together, it was obvious they were in a some sort of relationship. Even without any touching. Fortunately, on a Friday morning, the store was hardly crowded so they could stay side by side for the most part.

Tony returned to an earlier conversation. “I don't know your mum, love. For me, being straightforward was best.”

Geoff looked worried. “I'm sure I won't find the right words …”

“You will, if you give it some serious thought beforehand.”

Geoff nodded, but didn't look happy. Tony decided to leave it for now.

“OK … So we're after a wooden, slatted frame with a headboard. And a medium, well-sprung mattress. You know this is the first major thing we're going to buy together? Remind me what our spending limit is?”

“Err... two grand for both. As you said, there's not much point in buying cheap stuff if you can afford better.”

“You'll be paying most of it.”

“Well, yeah, so I should. I haven't got a mortgage to pay off. Back to the bed – I'm open to other possibilities, within reason. I'm not going to fork out for a sleigh bed or anything else fancy.”

Tony came to a halt for a moment. Geoff stopped as well.

“I don't know. Why didn't I realise at the start you'd be so boring? No sense of adventure …”

Geoff made a face, and started walking again. Tony grinned, and very quickly caught up. It was definitely the bed buying, or merely being out shopping with his boyfriend, or both. He'd had a semi ever since they'd got out of the car. Just as well he was wearing a looser pair of trousers than usual. Testing beds by lying on them required comfortable, unrevealing clothes since most of it would be spent on his back, or side. He was feeling … frisky. Strange word, but it had the right ring about it. Tony made a conscious effort to think dull, work-related thoughts which had some of the desired effect.

Towards the back of the upper level, they reached their destination. There were more beds on display than they'd expected. It took several minutes of wandering round, and then retracing their steps before they reached a possible decision about the frame. Then came the mattress. Tony picked one, and stretched out full length on it, assessing its comfort. His boyfriend sat balanced on the edge and used his hand to test the springs.

“You can't test a mattress like that.”

“Sorry?”

“You need to lie on it, like I am. Or however you usually sleep.”

“Oh …” Geoff looked around the immediate area. Apart from the odd assistant, it was almost empty.

“Come on, love. Join me.” Tony sat up.

“Err … OK.”

Tony held out a hand to encourage his partner. Geoff reluctantly sat next to him, then stretched out slowly. Tony could tell Geoff was self-conscious, and leaned over from his sitting position to give him an encouraging smile and a surreptitious air kiss.

“Disgusting! Don't you agree, Henry?”

Geoff turned scarlet and sat up immediately. Tony turned round to see a middle-aged, conservatively dressed woman talking loudly to her husband as they walked through the department.

“It's bad enough they're allowed to marry now, without seeing them cavorting in public.”

“Yes, dear.”

“Probably not even thinking of buying that mattress.”

“No, dear. … A pillow case was it, you wanted?”

The man hurried his wife through the area towards the bedlinens, she continuing to talk loudly as they went.

Geoff was now stood next to the bed, quivering with embarrassment and shock. Tony, white with anger, was still sitting on the mattress. He had at least managed not to follow the couple and give them a piece of his mind. Narrow-minded bigots. Or at least, she was. He wasn't quite so sure about her husband.

An assistant hurried over. “Do you need any assistance with making your choice? I can take you through what's available?”

“Yeah, thanks. That'll be great.”

Tony got back on his feet and moved round to where Geoff still appeared rooted to the spot.

“You OK, love?”

Geoff swallowed, then nodded.

“Good. It's what we do that matters. Not them.”

As they followed the assistant to the desk, Tony kept a firm grip on his boyfriend's hand. For now, he didn't give a toss.

With my usual thanks to Parker Owens.
Please leave a comment if you enjoyed it. Or not.
This volume of Tony and Geoff's life will stop with chapter 17. Please visit the new story topic for more details.
 
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 6
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It’s silly I know, but I tend to think that the US has a monopoly on homophobes (at least among the major English-speaking countries)! Then I remember Margaret Court and realize that they’re everywhere. As difficult to eradicate as any other vermin that infest shadowy crevices and hidden places.

 

Geoff has had the triumph of retaining a job. With Tony’s assistance, he’s working on Coming Out to his rather clueless mother. He and Tony are also progressing slowly in their relationship – even to the point of buying a bed together!

 

Hopefully the loudly bigoted woman won’t slow Geoff’s gradually increasing confidence!  ;-)

Link to comment

The gentle way the relationship is progressing is refreshing , even with the set back in bed store . Geoff’s growing confidence ,  his decision to tell his mother and meet Zoe , are astounding . A lovely chapter . 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I still dislike Geoff's mother, she is a self-centered fool with a massive empathy deficiency. What kind of mother puts their child down again and again, especially when he turns out to lack self-confidence and assertiveness. But I guess it takes two to perpetuate this unhealthy situation - one who do the trampling and the other to accept it being done. But she is still the original culprit, and she displays distinct lack of general understanding too. I may forgive her if she takes the news of Geoff being gay and welcomes Tony as her son's partner, but my hopes are low on this.

 

At least Geoff had some happy times during the week before another stupid woman ruined that too. :pissed: 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

What kind of mother puts their child down again and again, especially when he turns out to lack self-confidence and assertiveness.

Geoff lacks self-confidence and assertiveness precisely because his mother continually puts him down. My parents weren’t like Geoff’s mother, but I interpreted what they said to me as putdowns. They never seemed to realize just how much more sensitive I was to criticism than my brothers were. Even now it’s difficult for me to change lifelong patterns even with the help of therapists.  ;-)

 

I could use an empathetic Dane like Peter now, @Timothy M..  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Geoff lacks self-confidence and assertiveness precisely because his mother continually puts him down.

 

Sigh, yes, I feared that was the case. Such a shame :no:  And I'm sorry you had to go through the same pain IRL. :hug: 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Geoff and Tony are making real plans; for a dinner, for a bed, and for a life built around each other, no matter what anyone else thinks. Including Geoff’s mother, or Tony’s sister, for that matter. Wonderfully and engagingly written. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/02/2018 at 4:58 PM, deville said:

The gentle way the relationship is progressing is refreshing , even with the set back in bed store . Geoff’s growing confidence ,  his decision to tell his mother and meet Zoe , are astounding . A lovely chapter . 

I'm glad you're finding it 'gentle' rather than 'slow and boring' ...  ;) Progress is definitely being made. Thanks for the comment.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@Timothy M. The female of the species don't get your vote this week then?  The disconnect between Geoff and his mum isn't uncommon, I think. My relationship with my mother was something along the same lines. Anything approaching a 'well done' was always qualified with a 'but'. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, northie said:

I'm glad you're finding it 'gentle' rather than 'slow and boring'

There are many other stories here for the Short Attention Span crowd. Stories without a coherent plot line or story arc and poorly developed characters. Loud and flashy gets a lot of attention, but carefully crafted tales with well developed characters and a compelling story arc will stand the test of time.  ;-)

Link to comment
21 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Geoff lacks self-confidence and assertiveness precisely because his mother continually puts him down

My father (an academic) gave no quarter when it came to discussions at home. There was no malice about it - he was just more used to interacting with students. For an already shy teenager, it wasn't any help to be reduced to a stuttering heap because my ideas weren't upto scratch. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

There are many other stories here for the Short Attention Span crowd. Stories without a coherent plot line or story arc and poorly developed characters. Loud and flashy gets a lot of attention, but carefully crafted tales with well developed characters and a compelling story arc will stand the test of time.  ;-)

I'm assuming you're referring to me in the second half of your comment .... :ph34r: :P

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Geoff and Tony are making real plans; for a dinner, for a bed, and for a life built around each other, no matter what anyone else thinks. Including Geoff’s mother, or Tony’s sister, for that matter. Wonderfully and engagingly written. 

Indeed, and I still don't think Geoff absolutely believes it.  Thank you.  :*)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, northie said:

I'm assuming you're referring to me in the second half of your comment .... :ph34r: :P

Yes! Soul Music is definitely a carefully crafted tale with well developed characters and a compelling story arc! While I enjoy a select group of US sitcoms, I also enjoy a selection of Britcoms ranging from As Time Goes By and To The Manor Born to Red Dwarf. There is a time and place for flashy as well as compelling!  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..