Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 2,948 Words
  • 2,558 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Soul Music: Love Encountered - 2. Conversations

Tony and Geoff make plans for their first date. Geoff is happy and excited. Nothing could go wrong, could it?
A response to prompt 500.

“What took you so long, Geoff? It wasn't such a difficult a question, was it?”

Geoff heard the friendly chuckle at the end of Tony's questions, but he still flushed bright red. As usual for him, he coloured at the hint of any criticism, friendly or not. Just as well they were on the phone then.

Why had it taken so long for him to return Tony's call? Any number of reasons, most of them tied up with his shyness, and lack of self-esteem. God … how to put it into words?

Geoff opened his mouth. “Ehm … I … err, I …”

The voice on the other end of the line interrupted him. “Geoff? Breathe. Deep breath. Really, there's no need for you to be so nervous – it's not the first night of a show, is it?” Geoff grimaced ruefully. No, it wasn't – he loathed first nights. He relaxed slightly. Tony continued speaking. “I was only teasing you. I'm delighted you phoned me back – it's made my day.”

Geoff's redness intensified. He could never quite believe it when people said something like that to him. Half the time, he thought they were making a joke at his expense. “Oh … ehm … I'm glad.”

And he was. Geoff found himself smiling at his handset. His stomach had done a flip when he'd picked his phone up a few days ago to find a voicemail message from Tony. He'd played it back, listening to Tony's pleasant, self-assured voice asking him out to lunch. Then, again. And again. All the while, his feelings of anxiety, anticipation, nervousness grew. Geoff knew he was ill-equipped to deal with whatever might happen if he agreed to Tony's suggestion. In familiar social situations, he was fine. New ones, much less so.

Still, here he was, at last. Even if he dreaded the impression Tony must have of him now. How pathetic was it, that he couldn't respond to a simple, social invitation without being reduced to a stuttering idiot? But, of course, it wasn't that simple, was it? Geoff sighed audibly. Over-analysing things again. One of his favourite occupations.

Tony had been wondering at the period of silence, then he heard the sigh. OK, it sounded as though he needed to take the initiative back, otherwise he was afraid Geoff might just kill the call.

“How about we have a quick bite to eat at The Boat next Wednesday? We've both got work to get back to, haven't we? They serve quickly, and the food's good.”

Yes, he'd heard it was good, Geoff replied silently to himself. But it was also the place where his mother met up with her friends. She lived ten miles or so outside of town, but the bus service was reasonably frequent. No way was he chancing her seeing him with a potential boyfriend. Geoff was out to his close friends and immediate work colleagues, but not to his mother. So, The Boat was best avoided.

He tried feverishly to think of an alternative. “Ehm … the Italian place in the Market Square might be better? It's not so far to walk and I think it'll be less crowded.”

Tony was puzzled for a moment by Geoff's counter-suggestion – as far as he knew, there was nothing to it when it came to distance. Then he let it go. “You mean Gianni's? Yeah – that'll do fine. Their set lunch should be quick. How about one o'clock?”

“It'll be just after, in my case – can't leave work early.” Geoff was relieved that Tony hadn't put up a fight. He sensed that Tony wanted to say something else, but he saw he had another call waiting. His mother. He'd better answer it – she never usually called his mobile. “Tony? I'm sorry but my mother's trying to get hold of me. I'll see you next Wednesday. I'm … I'm really looking forward to it.”

“Same here. Have a good weekend, Geoff. I may text you meantime …”


“So, you've met someone? Really? … Geoff, you're blushing. That's so sweet. Right – this deserves cake.”

Helen Doherty leaned over and grabbed two menus from a nearby table. She gave one to her companion, and started to scan her own menu avidly. “Don't usually allow myself anywhere near their cakes or patisserie – I can put on weight by just looking at them.”

Geoff murmured something in reply, and wished he could hide behind his menu for the rest of their time in the upmarket café. He felt like the rest of the Saturday morning customers were staring at him. Which they weren't, in all probability, it just seemed that way. He breathed in slowly, trying to regain control. Really, he should be used to Helen's gentle teasing by now.

A fellow musician and good friend, Helen was his sounding board, giver of sage advice, and sympathetic listener. She also loved hearing about his life – not that he gave away much. He was far too private and reserved. Geoff smiled wryly. That, of course, was why the nugget of information about Tony had made Helen's day. They 'talked' often via email, text, but not social media. He abhorred the narcissism, deceit, and constant, empty chattering. Another deep breath, and he could feel his colour receding.

Helen looked up from her menu. “A lot of heavy breathing and sighing coming from your side of the table.” She raised an eyebrow. “Not lovesick already, are you?”

The colour flooded back. Geoff didn't know how to respond, and Helen saw it in his face. She reached across the table, and briefly stroked the back of his left hand.

“Oh, Geoff. I'm so sorry. Me and my big mouth. It's early days yet, isn't it?” Helen smiled at him. “He's got you well interested, though … I'm happy for you.”

Geoff looked a little more himself now, and smiled back at her. Helen regarded him with affection. She couldn't understand why he hadn't been snapped up well before now. Being quite tall and well-built, Geoff could come across as not someone to mess with. However, as soon as anyone started talking to him, they'd soon learn. He was a softy, really, and there wasn't a bad bone in his body. This Tony had better be a stayer, or Geoff could be hurt quite badly.

The conversation halted temporarily as a server came to take their order.

Helen took charge. “We'll have two large cappuccinos, thanks, and today's selection of cupcakes.” The café was attached to a bakery, and the reputation of their cupcakes was phenomenal. Helen muttered under her breath about the ridiculous price for half-a-dozen fancy bits of sponge. Still, it was a special occasion.

Ordering taken care of, Helen leaned across the table, and smiled encouragingly at Geoff. “OK, then. Spill the beans.”

Geoff took a deep breath. “God, it'd been a completely crap day – the car had broken down on the way to a gig, I couldn't find anywhere park when I did manage to get there. And I hadn't eaten since breakfast. That's where Tony came in …”

Helen was listening intently. “Uh-huh.”

“I was getting myself really worked up. Tony just appeared from nowhere, offered me his food, calmed me down. He didn't know me from Adam. Then we spent a good forty minutes or so chatting and eating – he's an amazing cook. I haven't eaten like that for god knows how long. It was so delicious …"

Their order arrived, but Geoff continued talking and they both ignored their drinks and the enticing display of cakes.

“He was so sweet – being concerned about me getting back home. We swapped numbers and …” Geoff shrugged, and smiled self-consciously.

Helen looked at him with a broad smile on her face. “Fate, or somebody smiling down on you. Now it's over to you to make your own luck.”

The excitement over, she felt able to turn her attention to the cupcakes. God, they looked like something out of a TV baking show. It was almost a shame they were going to be devoured very shortly. Helen chuckled. Almost …

“Don't these look awesome? Oooh … I'm having that one first.” Helen pointed at a creamy, pink creation with a fresh raspberry perched on top.

Geoff was feeling happy and … relieved, in a way. Telling his friend about that day was also pretty awesome. He snorted. 'Awesome' was not a word that usually found its way into his vocabulary. He sipped carefully at his cappuccino, taking care not to get the milky froth in his beard. Geoff studied the remaining cakes. Eating his way through one of those was also going to be an exercise in caution. He picked a weirdly green-coloured specimen with chocolate buttercream. Mint, presumably? Or, maybe something else entirely.

Helen had already demolished her first cake. A gulp of coffee later, and she was ready to return to the topic of the day.

“You know you managed to get through all that without describing Tony once? I want details …” She raised one eyebrow at Geoff, and grinned. “Come on. I'm listening.”

Geoff sighed in resignation. He should've expected this, perhaps. Helen was never satisfied with the outline of anything – she always wanted details. OK … he'd stick with giving out a general description. Helen was going to be disappointed if she seriously expected anything more. It'd been so long since he'd last had someone special, he'd forgotten about the insatiable interest that any new relationship could generate.

He took a breath. “Ehm … he's about my age, I think. Fit, but not a gym fanatic. Quite outdoorsy – his job takes him out and about. Good cook. Kind, sweet, generous …”

Helen giggled. “OK, I get the idea. … Geoff? Don't forget he made the first move. Yeah? Don't go selling yourself short. I know you.” She mock-glared at Geoff, who was blushing again. “So, after the first day, what's happened?”

Geoff hedged – this was getting too personal for his comfort. “We talk. Text sometimes. We're having lunch together next Wednesday.”

Helen almost squealed in excitement. “A date! Your first date!” Geoff cringed. He was sure half the café had heard. “Where? Let me guess …”

“Gianni's in the Market Square.” Geoff wasn't keen on guessing games.

“Oh …” Helen sounded surprised. “It's … close by your work. I thought Tony might've gone for The Boat, if he's that much into cooking.”

Geoff sighed. “He did suggest The Boat, but that's where my mother and her coterie end up. So, Gianni's is my choice.”

Helen snorted with affectionate exasperation. “Oh, Geoff. You know if you get into a serious relationship with Tony, your mum will have to be told? It's not as if she lives the other end of the country. She's bound to see you two together sometime or another. Or hear it from one of the many gossips hereabouts. Just as well she doesn't live an online life, either.” Helen was an avid blogger across a number of different sites. “Think about it. … Please?”


Come on! … Geoff's frustration was threatening to boil over. Here he was, in some bloody pointless meeting, and it was now ten past one. It was Wednesday, and their lunch date. Tony would be wondering what had happened to him soon. They'd finished discussing everything, as far as he was concerned. What the fuck was keeping everyone glued to their seats? Didn't they want lunch?

At last, the grey individual in charge of the meeting spoke up. “I believe we have covered all the items listed in the agenda …” Yes, they had. Come on – close the bloody meeting. “Is there any other business?”

Geoff held his breath. There better hadn't be.

“Yes. I'd like to know about the arrangements for next week.” This from someone at the back of the room. Geoff turned, and saw an earnest-looking woman he'd never seen before. For heaven's sake! It was one-fifteen now.

Fortunately, it looked like the chair's mind was also focussing on his lunch. He consulted briefly with a nearby colleague, and smiled thinly.

He turned back to the woman. “Jane, I think you'll find all the details have been posted on the council's intranet for some while. Mike here, will give you the link, if you need it.”

Result! Could he please go now? The woman flushed pink at being found behind the times. Geoff pushed his seat back slightly, the better to escape as quickly as he could.

The man in charge did one more swift scan around the room, and then declared the meeting over. 'Bout bloody time too. It was nearly twenty past. Geoff grabbed his stuff and made it out of the door before anyone else had started to move.


Tony walked at his usual brisk pace across the square to Gianni's. It was slightly after one o'clock, but it didn't matter – Geoff wouldn't be there yet, and he hadn't bothered to book a table.

After being shown to a table next to the window, Tony sat with the menu in his hand. Instead of looking at it, he chose to spend a minute or two looking out onto the sunlit square. His thoughts turned to Geoff, as they often did these days. This was their first … date? Certainly, it would be the first time they'd met since the Messiah performance. Tony admitted to being a little nervous – unusually for him. He enjoyed their phonecalls and text conversations, but he didn't feel he knew the 'real' Geoff much more than he had at their first encounter. He was definitely gay. At least, they'd got that out of the way.

Tony shrugged, and turned his attention back to the menu. He scratched his nose absent-mindedly. What did he fancy eating? He started off by ordering his drink – a glass of white wine – before going back to the printed list. What Geoff ordered would be interesting. Tony recalled Geoff's comment about eating at MacDonalds. He didn't have anything against fast food as such, but it didn't make for a healthy diet. Tony liked his men with a good amount of flesh on their bones. Geoff? He looked as though he needed to be taken in hand, just a little.

Tony smiled to himself. That would be good. If Geoff needed weaning off fast food, it would give him an excellent excuse to try out some new recipes. Cooking for one was OK, but, unless he had friends round, experimenting was too much bother. He'd better find out what Geoff liked first, though. He looked at his phone. One-fifteen. Hmm … Geoff had obviously been delayed. Tony decided to order. Although he'd mentioned he might be late back from lunch, he didn't want to push his luck. Might Geoff have decided to stand him up? He didn't think so. Either way, he still needed something to eat.

Inhaling the subtle aromas coming from his pea risotto, Tony was about to get stuck in, when the door to the restaurant was flung open. He looked up to see a panting, flustered Geoff standing in the doorway. His eyes were searching around, trying to locate his lunch date. Tony waved a hand until Geoff spotted him.

He hurried over immediately. “Oh god, I'm so sorry. … Bloody meeting went on forever. …”

Tony interrupted. “Geoff, it's good to see you. Don't worry. You're here now, and that's what matters.” He smiled broadly in welcome. Geoff hardly seemed to notice as he sat down, still muttering apologies. “When have you got to be back?”

Geoff widened his eyes, and ran his fingers through his hair in a gesture Tony recognised from previously. It was something Geoff did when feeling agitated. Tony frowned – if he had his way, it'd be something that was rarely seen, if at all.

Geoff thought for a moment. “Oh … err … I've an appointment at two-fifteen. What's the time now?” It was nearly twenty-five to two. “Oh, fuck.” His face fell. “Our first date, and I've fucked it up.” There was a pause. Then Geoff looked up – Tony could see he was visibly upset.

He reached out and grasped one of Geoff's hands. “Hey, now. There's no need for that.” Geoff blinked away a tear, and sniffed. “Come on. Let's order you something quick like a pizza – I can't have you going back to work hungry. OK?” Geoff nodded. “Good. We can talk while I eat this risotto.”

Any hopes Tony had of an engaging chat soon disappeared. Geoff's answers were monosyllabic, and he didn't start any topics of his own. He still looked mortified at his lateness, making him more tongue-tied than usual. The arrival of his pizza made him a little happier.

“Will you look at this?” Geoff was eyeing his lunch hungrily. “You won't find anything like this beauty in a supermarket. See the Parma ham? Thin and crispy? Gorgeous.”

Tony felt a wave of affection wash over him. One way through Geoff's defences was definitely by way of his stomach. He was suddenly so much more animated. And the pizza did look good.

Tony came to a decision. “For next time …” Geoff's head shot up. “How about you come over to mine on Sunday? I can show off my cooking skills.”

Geoff stared at him. Then a smile spread slowly across his face. “You want to see me again?” Geoff sounded incredulous.

“Of course, I do. Very much.”

Geoff's smile widened, and a blush flowed over his cheeks. “Thank you.”

My usual thanks to Parker Owens for his input and editing skills.
Please leave a comment if you enjoyed it. Or, even if you didn't.
Copyright © 2017 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So we get introduced to the two important ladies in Geoff's life: Helen and his mom. I was glad to see Helen was sensitive enough to realize when she had crossed the line with her teasing. We also got to see the first consequence of him not being honest with his mom -  although even if he had been out to her, I doubt he'd want to have his first date in a place where he risked running into her.

I was pleased to see Tony realize that food was a great way to catch Geoff's attention and also something he could bring into the relationship.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Social anxiety and low self-esteem! I know how those two feel! I hate new situations because they make me feel so uncomfortable! And many of my therapists have tried various exercises to help me with my self-esteem issues, including my inability to accept compliments (I either minimize my accomplishments or I deny that what I’ve done has value – knowing the problems don’t solve them!).

 

 

I need a Tony or a Joel or a Tor or a Peter or…  ;-)

 

But no Aleks!  ;-)

Link to comment

Gosh Geoff really lives on an emotional knife-edge. That he is surprised Tony wants to see him again really shows the depths of his insecurities. A really great chapter. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I can literally feel Geoff's stress. I breathed in relief at the end when he smiled. That poor guy. I understand much more about anxiety than I used to, and I know it can be debilitating. Tony appears to be just what the doctor ordered. I liked Helen. I'm glad he has someone to confide in. This is a terrific and intriguing pairing, my friend. I look forward to more... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Lunch during a workday as a first date can be alluring since it ends with no need for an excuse. But then you risk not having enough time... Luckily, they both decided they want more. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/08/2017 at 3:50 PM, Timothy M. said:

So we get introduced to the two important ladies in Geoff's life: Helen and his mom. I was glad to see Helen was sensitive enough to realize when she had crossed the line with her teasing. We also got to see the first consequence of him not being honest with his mom -  although even if he had been out to her, I doubt he'd want to have his first date in a place where he risked running into her.

I was pleased to see Tony realize that food was a great way to catch Geoff's attention and also something he could ring into the relationship.

Helen was only a side character in the original prompts, but I've promoted her.  She's a character I like. Geoff enjoys his food but I don't see him as a whizz in the kitchen somehow. Thanks, Tim. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/08/2017 at 4:35 PM, droughtquake said:

Social anxiety and low self-esteem! I know how those two feel! I hate new situations because they make me feel so uncomfortable! And many of my therapists have tried various exercises to help me with my self-esteem issues, including my inability to accept compliments (I either minimize my accomplishments or I deny that what I’ve done has value – knowing the problems don’t solve them!).

 

 

I need a Tony or a Joel or a Tor or a Peter or…  ;-)

 

But no Aleks!  ;-)

Tony's in exalted company. :yes: Thanks, drought.  Anxiety in social situations is quite common, I know. I thought a character like that would be interesting to work with - Geoff gets many of his characteristics from his author ... ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/08/2017 at 4:51 PM, deville said:

Gosh Geoff really lives on an emotional knife-edge. That he is surprised Tony wants to see him again really shows the depths of his insecurities. A really great chapter. 

It's not all the time, I think. He's built this encounter up into something hugely important, so when something goes wrong ... Thank for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Lunch during a workday as a first date can be alluring since it ends with no need for an excuse. But then you risk not having enough time... Luckily, they both decided they want more. 

They've both learnt things about eachother despite the minor disaster. Tony in particular, I think. Thanks for reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Headstall said:

I can literally feel Geoff's stress. I breathed in relief at the end when he smiled. That poor guy. I understand much more about anxiety than I used to, and I know it can be debilitating. Tony appears to be just what the doctor ordered. I liked Helen. I'm glad he has someone to confide in. This is a terrific and intriguing pairing, my friend. I look forward to more... cheers... Gary....

Geoff has a lot of me (magnified somewhat, admittedly) so I know what I'm writing about. I'm pleased you like my leading pair and I hope they continue to intrigue you. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..