Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Guardian - 16. Chapter 16

Gabriel has some fun and learns how to swim.

The ride there was pretty wild, at least to Gabriel. He sat in the middle between Jason and Jake who continued to bicker on who was better looking, Megan Fox, or Michelle Rodriguez. Gabriel had shrunk in his chair when Orion had butted in saying that neither one of them beat Ali Larter. Then it just erupted into a huge conversation. Tasha periodically glanced back at Gabriel, mixed up in the whole ordeal of who was hotter than whom. After they got there, they got out of the Honda accord and Jason raced his brother to the front of the store. Tasha laughed and walked ahead while Orion waited for Gabriel to get out. Gabriel shook his head some, looking at Orion with a rather amusing smile on his face. Once the teen got closer, Orion wrapped his arm around his shoulders and walked with him to the store. Gabriel was self conscious and was quick to see who was looking at the group walking in. Orion was a giant, and he knew people had to look at him. Even Tasha, who towered over Gabriel as well at around five foot nine. Jason and Jake were right with Gabriel in height, despite the fact they were younger than the Jarkla. Walking into the store, Tasha sent the boys off with their mission on getting certain supplies, looking back at Orion and Gabriel when they came up to her.

“You want to push the cart?” she asked, Gabriel shoving his hands in his pockets.

“No thanks.” Tasha gave a soft shrug but Orion took the cart and bumped her hip with his, her expression changing to a smile as she smacked him back in the shoulder.

“You’re just lazy Orry.” Orion gave a snort to his nickname and shooed her off, pushing the cart with one hand, motioning for Gabriel to come along.

“Orry?” Gabriel inquired, staring at the man as they walked along.

“Tasha and I were friends for a long while, I knew her when she was a pup and I was about 20 at the time. She couldn’t say Orion because it was too many syllables so she called me Orry.” Gabriel stared, disbelieving that the man was even opening up to him. Maybe moving down and meeting up with her opened Orion up more than it did when it was just him and Trent. The man even looked new in this setting and Gabriel was starting to feel his barriers come down from what they had been.

“So you said you were like old…how old are you really?” Orion looked at Gabriel, Tasha in her own world as she grabbed things and dump them in the buggy.

“You really want to know?” Gabriel thought about the question. Did he really want to know? Was it, or would it make a difference?

“Yeah.” Orion gave a sigh, wishing he would have shaken his head and decided he didn’t want to know.

“Ok I’ll put it in terms that you can understand. Human wise, I’m about 83. Wolf wise, I’m close to 35.” Gabriel had stopped walking and Orion knew it was going to happen. He was just about ready to run after the teen if he tried but instead, Gabriel stayed put and started talking again.

“So is that why you don’t look it? Cause you can pull off the 35, hell maybe younger. I mean your jaw structure takes off years. Honestly now since you’ve shaved I would think you just turned 30 or something.” If Orion was shocked, it was defiantly showing. His eyes were wide and his jaw dropped.

“Are you on drugs?” He found himself asking. Gabriel looked appalled and gave a whine, stalking off some to catch up to Tasha. “Hey I didn’t mean that in a bad way.” Orion said, catching up easily as Tasha looked back at the two of them and their bickering.

“So why did you ask?” Orion gave a soft snort and pulled the teen closer, wrapping his arm around his shoulders to hold him closer so that others wouldn’t overhear.

“Because you’ve already admitted you’re confused. And I hope you realize your mood swings are a bit wild.” Gabriel actually smiled and lifted Orion’s arm off his shoulders, giving the man a pinch on his sides to distract him from grabbing him again.

“I like keeping you on your toes,” Gabriel explained, keeping out of arms reach and walking at the end of the buggy.

“You do that too well then,” Orion said with a smirk. Gabriel grinned and even dared a flicking finger, getting a silent glare from the man. But it didn’t scare the teen at all. He could see in Orion’s eyes that there wasn’t any hate or even danger from the action. Just fun. Gabriel met it with an ‘I dare you’ and was quick to join Tasha to help her out. Orion snorted and kept his eyes on the teen as he seemed to use Tasha as a shield. He’d allow it for now, but he had to agree. Tasha was right. Opening up to Gabriel, even just a little bit, opened the kid up immensely to him. He watched the two talk and just coasted behind them.

“Hey Tasha, can I ask you something?” Gabriel asked, the woman giving him the list to mark it off as she placed items in the cart.

“Sure.” She smiled.

“How come Orion doesn’t want me to join you guys on a full moon?” Tasha stopped moving and quickly looked back to see Orion had been distracted and walked off to the end of the aisle. She looked back at Gabriel, taking notice that he watched how she was now on her toes.

“Because it’s dangerous for you right now. Orion can turn off his ‘alpha’ when he’s human. But as his full werewolf, his ‘alpha’ takes control then and he’s afraid to hurt you since you do have the tendency to go against him.” Gabriel sulked, knowing that it was true that he did go against him a lot.

“So if I don’t go against him?” he questioned. Tasha sighed and placed her hands on her hips.

“You really want to watch us on the full moon don’t you?”

“I won’t lie, I do. I never knew werewolves existed until I saw it myself. But …really what’s the difference between the form you take now and the one during a full moon?” Tasha grabbed the buggy, dragging it behind her as they went to another aisle.

“The form you see us in is just our feral form. The other one, we take it on the full moon is pretty much what you see in the movies. We’re human like, large with tails.”

“Like in Van Helsing?”

“Bigger than that just a bit but yes. But our ears are not that pointed, mind you. Orion is a giant. You think he’s big now? He gains two feet more,” she said, picking out a few boxes of cereal. Gabriel blinked and looked back where he saw Orion coming toward them with four gallons of milk.

“Leave without me?” he asked, placing the milk in the cart. Tasha touched her own nose and Orion copied the action. Gabriel, lost in the mist, stared at them when they looked at him.

“What?” Tasha giggled at the Jarkla.

“Why don’t you guys go get some bathing suits? Today is normally when we shop and then hit the pool.” Gabriel, still lost on the finger on the nose that the adults did, sighed and turned, walking off to the clothes section of the super center. Orion let him walk a bit before he looked at Tasha.

“What did you tell him?”

“Probably what you didn’t want to. I’m giving you a warning Orion, he’s going to come out tonight. He’s set on it, I can tell.” The man groaned, looking at Gabriel turn the corner of the aisle.

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

“We won’t let you hurt him, don’t worry. Besides, it might just strengthen your chance.” She gave him a wink and took the buggy away, walking in the opposite direction. Orion watched her leave and sighed, turning and walking in the direction where Gabriel had gone off to.

 


 

“I am not getting in the water! He’s going to dunk me!” Gabriel exclaimed as Jason and Jake tried shoving the teen in with a waiting Orion in the pool already. “Plus I can’t swim!” he exclaimed again, trying to pry the two off him. Orion stood easily in the six foot deep water and held his hands up.

“You really think I’m going to let you drown? Just jump,” he said, motioning him to come into the water with a sun bathing Tasha watching the whole thing.

“No, but still, can we start in the short end?”

“Nope!” The twins said in unison, shoving the Jarkla in as he flailed and screamed until he hit the water, Orion quick to grab him and laugh as the teen looked like a flustered rabbit. Gabriel clung to the man and he held him easily, wrapping his arm around Gabriel’s waist.

“See? You’re fine.”

“Jason! Jake! You both are dead when I get out of here!” The twins laughed and jumped in and swam to the two, looping their arms and all three just hanging on the adult. “Scratch that I’ll kill you now.” Gabriel grabbed onto Jason who only laughed as they both went under. Gabriel struggled a little but was relieved when Orion scooped him up and held him again. Jason laughed and swam around, Jake bounding on his brother as they started their own water battle. Orion walked Gabriel to the smaller end, placing the teen down. Gabriel turned and began leisurely walking away, Orion just sticking with him.

“So you want to learn how to swim? Since you should know already.”

“If you don’t mind teaching me…but one more question.” Orion gave a sigh.

“You have a lot of those.”

“I know, shoot me I’m curious.” Orion gave a snort as the teen continued. “How much do you really know about the Jarkla? I mean being your age you must have known about Amaya.” Orion thought about it before moving to sit on the floor once they were in the three foot area. Gabriel simply floated before him.

“I knew her, barely. I knew she was with Warvock.”

“And who was that guy?”

“He was originally the alpha of South pack for a while. I don’t really know the details but I know they married. Then Scott learned of her.”

“Did she know what she was?”

“I thought you talked to her” Orion eyed the teen when he circled him.

“She sometimes doesn’t tell me things…but I’ll ask her then. Aside from that, what happened with Scott? I mean, what’s his deal?”

“Scott is soul driven on power. The Jarkla to him was the ultimate power. Learning about Amaya after Warvock hid her just angered him more. What makes it worse is that we’re related.” Gabriel had stopped swimming and went to kneel before Orion, the man very keen on watching him.

“Related how?”

“We’re brothers, and he’s the older one.” Gabriel gave a scoff, swimming away again. Orion didn’t let Gabriel ask a question just yet as he continued. “Our father had been the alpha and he was originally going to give it to Scott, but after seeing how he acted around the others, he didn’t think he’d be worth it. So when the time came to where one of us was to ascend, I did it first. Scott was pretty much furious that his little brother did it first. So he got back by taking on the eldest wolf that just happened to be the alpha of the Moon Pack. He left the pack and killed him in cold blood, ascending that night when it happened.” Gabriel was zoned in the story, blown away by it really.

“And…he’s coming for me?”

“I don’t like to be reminded that I have to either keep running or kill him. Besides the fact he’s a complete psycho, he’s still my brother.”

“But left with the decision to do it….would you?”

“For you? Yes.” Gabriel looked at him, taking in every feature. Orion would do it for him, but would he do it for the others too?”

“What about your kids? Tasha, your pack. Would you do it for them if I wasn’t here?”

“Gabe what kind of…”

“Answer the question,” he snapped at him. Orion turned to see his kids playing, Tasha now getting ready to jump in herself. Around him the pack relaxed, the pups in the kiddy pool and others not even paying attention to them. He frowned and looked back at the teen who stared at him with painful eyes.

“Yes I would…what are you trying to get at?” Gabriel gave a shoulder shrug and stood.

“Oh nothing. So, going to teach me or will I have to doggy paddle the rest of my life.” Orion tilted his head and gave a sigh, standing and walking back to the deep end.

“I’ll teach you, come on.” Gabriel watched him walk and followed him to the point where his feet couldn’t touch, the grueling lessons beginning.

 

Gabriel caught the mechanics of swimming pretty fast, giving props to Orion that he was actually a great teacher. Jason and Jake, having played chicken with some of the other teenagers, got the Jarkla to join up. Orion had left him to play and went to join Tasha and Trent who relaxed at the other side of the pool. Orion made his way over and grabbed Trent’s arm, pulling the man to him as he took his spot then just brought him back, the beta slightly confused on what just happened but happier since Orion’s arm now snaked its way around his waist. Tasha chuckled and leaned on Orion, her eyes going to Gabriel sitting on Jake’s shoulders as they played more of chicken, the two a great pair at defeating anyone who paired with Jason.

“You two have a nice time?” she questioned the man beside him, Trent obviously feeling the moon even in the daylight as he openly wrapped his leg around Orion’s to stay closer. Orion gave a snort but smiled.

“He’s a quick learner…the boys have taken to him.” Tasha looked back at them, Jake high fiving Gabriel when they beat another pair. She laughed softly then glanced back up at Orion who seemed to now loose himself in his thoughts. She looked at Trent and smiled.

“Looking forward to the full moon Trenty?” The beta gave a scoff.

“Don’t call me that.”

“Just answer the question lover boy.” Orion gazed down at Tasha and pinched his lips together, not really showing irritation but giving her the look that it was uncalled for.

“Yes I am. I can’t wait honestly.” Orion gave a chuckle, knowing exactly why Trent was anxious. Everyone in the pack knew about their nights together, and it wasn’t like Orion tried to hide it either.

“Two more years of it.” the alpha muttered. It made Trent frown when he mentioned it and without really thinking about it, Trent spoke.

“Why not just let Tristan have him?” Tasha and Orion both looked at the male.

“What?” Orion almost sounded angry, the soft squeeze on Trent’s side gave him the notion he should have stayed quiet.

“Nothing….” Trent removed his eyes from Orion’s and exposed his neck, knowing he upset him slightly. Orion took the gesture and nipped at the skin there, accepting the silent apology. Tasha stared at the two and suddenly got out of the pool; making both men turn to her.

“I’ll be right back,” she said smiling as she walked away and into the building nearby. Trent raised a brow and Orion just shrugged, his eyes going back to watching Gabriel this time dunk Jason. He smiled, seeing the wide grin on Gabriel’s face. But his smile soon left and his expression went blank.

Orion had lost himself in his own thoughts as he watched the Jarkla play with his kids. Gabriel had no doubt opened up to him, and even stuck close to him for most of the day. But watching him now, Orion began to feel what he had for him slowly change. Yes, he wanted to be his guardian, but now he found himself wondering if he could do it. Could he take Gabriel in bed when the teen became 18? Gabriel was attractive, but with how things were going, he was suddenly realizing that even if he was able to kill his brother, what benefit would he have with a young Jarkla? Maybe Tristan was the best…

“Orion.” He jumped out of his thoughts, blinking a few times and turning to see Trent staring at him.

“Yes?” The male beside him gave a snort.

“I said your name five times. You were pretty zoned.” Orion rolled his eyes and gave an unexpected yawn.

“I was. And now I’m pruny,” he mumbled, letting Trent go as he got out of the pool. Trent followed suit and shook off some, grabbing a towel and drying off. “I’m going to go take a nap. Watch the kid.” Trent was in the middle of drying his suit when he looked up at Orion and frowned, the man walking away. Great, now he was stuck watching him? He waited until Orion was inside before he walked over and interrupted the teens play.

“Hey, twins, watch him.” He motioned to Jason and Jake who glanced at each other than at Gabriel who raised a brow at Trent. Both boys smiled and gave the adult a thumbs up.

“You got it chief!” Gabriel threw his hands up some.

“Hey wait! Why am I stuck with the crazies?!” At his statement the boys tackled him into the water.

2018, Carmen Lovett; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..