Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Guardian - 7. Chapter 7

Gabriel learns a bit omre about himself and what the sacrifices he has to do. Question will stand, will he let it rule his life?

//EDITED\\

To say Gabriel was shaken by the comment Orion made on just how apart their age difference was, was a complete understatement. He had left the barn again but this time only sat right outside the slightly broken down doors. He held himself and pulled his knees up, his expression obviously showing discomfort as he sat there. If Tristan came to look for him after he healed, Orion would destroy him. Knowing that he stayed with him and was his only friend for about two years, Gabriel didn’t want to lose him again. But he knew one fact, that Orion beat Tristan in size and probably strength. Maybe he could demote Tristan from guardian to friend and take on Orion just to save his life. Then again, he had no idea how this whole Jarkla thing worked.

“Jarkla?” He turned when the term was used, seeing the healer peeking her head from around the large barn door.

“It’s Gabriel...please...Don’t call me that,” he said, his tone giving her the notion that he was tired. She gave him a soft smile and moved to sit beside him.

“How are you healing?” she asked. Gabriel moved his arms, turning to see the still hard covers of scabs over the cuts. She touched them softly and gave a reassuring smile. “Would you like some more aloe?” Gabriel shook his head, bringing his arms back to his person.

“No…” She didn’t leave him like he thought she would though. She sat by him and he found her company soothing, something he hadn’t felt the past four day. Calm. Collective. Peaceful. He smiled softly, his eyes looking at her from beneath his eyelashes. “Thanks…” He found himself saying to her. She turned to him and gave a soft smile.

“You’re welcome,” she answered softly, standing and leaving him in his peaceful mindset she had helped him achieve. He gave a heavy sigh and let his head hit the door gently, closing his eyes again and finding himself once more in the realm where he first went that afternoon.

 

 

Once again I found myself in the soft grassy field where I’d met the girl. Standing up I looked around for her and walked into the clearing where a hind grazed on the grass below her. She held soft blue markings all over her body.

“Hey…” I called out softly to her, her head coming up and looking at me.

“That was quicker than I was thinking.” I frowned.

“I just...had one question cause I’m curious if I can get it to work.” Her form didn’t change, her body staying that of a hind as she walked over to me.

“Ask away,” she chimed .I touched her shoulder gently, feeling the subtle fur beneath my fingers.

“Can I ...’fire’ a guardian and get a new one?” Her head tilted and she looked at me with concern.

“You do not like Tristan as your guardian?”

“No no it’s not that…Orion…he said if I had a guardian he’d kill him just so he can become my guardian. I have known Tristan as my wolf and friend for two years…I’d rather fire him as my guardian and just have him as my friend.” The hind shook her head slightly and began walking, I kept my hand on her shoulder as I walked with her.

“It is possible to do that, but there are…complications that can arise with that.” She led me to the water where a large wolf sat. His head turned; red markings over his body. My hand lifted and she morphed again into a black wolf that greeted the other. “This was my guardian,” she murmured, the wolf looking back up at me. Once more she morphed into her human form. “I loved him dearly, and met him very late in life. I ended up marrying him and he protected me so well. But, he was killed.” The wolf stood and trotted off away from us and my heart sank. “He was killed by another wolf because I did the same thing you are wanting to do.” She turned and continued. “He was my guardian, and was perfect at it. But troubles arose with another alpha and he wanted me. So in order to keep him alive, I took back his guardian duty and gave it to the one who threatened his life. He went behind my back, and killed my lover. Guardian’s are very jealous.” She turned to look at me. “If you can pull it off, I commend you for it. But know that when you bond with Orion, he will not allow Tristan to be near you unless he is. Your guardian is like your mate in life. Your partner is your friend, and so is your eyes. They are the only ones besides your guardian that can stay with you without him around.” I frowned. I had always enjoyed the cuddles with Tristan when I knew him just as Raoul, the company he always gave me and the protection I felt when he was with me. But with Orion’s threat to kill him I wasn’t sure if I could even chance that. Maybe it could be possible to do; maybe I could pull it off. I looked at the young woman.

“…It’s worth a try…how do I do it?” I asked her. She gave a soft sigh.

“You must have physical contact with him, run your hand over his face then kiss his forehead. After that, he’ll know he’s been released from his duty as guardian. To accept a guardian, you must present a gift to him.” As soon as she said that, it dawned on me. The collar I gave him; that was my gift to him. That’s how I accepted him without even knowing it. I folded my arms.

“What kind of gift exactly?”

“Anything. It can be food if you want it to be,” she said, shrugging her shoulders. The silence between us wasn’t awkward but I couldn’t help but ask.

“Is he always here with you? Your first guardian?” She smiled.

“Yes. We are never apart.”

“Where’s the other?” Her smile left her features.

“He still lives, and is the alpha of the Moon Pack…” I was confused, walking up to her and studying her expression.

“How did you die?” I suddenly found myself asking. She looked at me levelly, our eyes locked.

“I took my own life”

 

 

The pure shock of her answer slammed him back into the real world. His eyes flashed open and his body jolted. Giving a soft groan he leaned back and took a large breath. She killed herself? He was afraid to go back and ask her when she did it. He recalled Orion’s comment on there being only one Jarkla alive at one moment. Plastered on his face was a frown and it just deepened when he knew that if Tristan was to come here, he would have to dismiss him. Figuring he should tell Orion before the lug-nut sent his subordinates to go find him and kill him; he got up slowly and reentered the barn. He climbed up the ladder and noticed Orion was talking with another male. They both turned to look at him. Gabriel’s eyes shifted from Orion to the other and back again until Orion spoke.

“Leave us.” The smaller werewolf gave a head bow and left the two, not even bothering to use the ladder as he simply jumped off. Gabriel walked up to Orion, then past him and into the bed. Orion raised a soft brow, watching the teen so casually get in the bed. “Where did you run off too?” he questioned, joining the teen on the large bed of furs.

“I was just sitting outside…” he muttered, laying on his side and rubbing his face into the fur beneath him. Orion rested his head in his hand, propped up to look at the Jarkla.

“Not upset over anything?” he questioned with a smile. When he didn’t receive an answer, his smile turned into a slight frown. “What’s wrong?” he asked, this time with a tone of concern. Again the teen didn’t answer. He leaned over to look at his face, seeing watery eyes looking at him. He just frowned more and wrapped his arm around the boy, pulling him to his muscled body.

“Don’t kill Tristan,” Gabriel managed to say, his eyes still locked with Orion’s. Orion gave a snort. Was that his supposed guardian?

“Why not,” he grunted. Gabriel blinked his eyes, causing water to drop down his face. Somewhere deep inside the alpha wolf his heart twisted in a minor pain.

“Cause, I plan on…dismissing him...just...don’t kill him.” Orion’s eyes couldn’t meet Gabriel’s anymore. The sheer pain and plea that radiated from him made the man look away. He leaned back and didn’t look at Gabriel at all but still kept his arms wrapped around the teen. How was he supposed to reply back with that? He felt Gabriel shifting and moving to look at him, forcing the alpha male to stare at him. “Promise you won’t.” Gabriel demanded with a choking tone. He gave a grunt and then the teen pressed on his chest to get his attention, Orion’s eyes went straight to Gabriel’s as he frowned. “Promise Orion.” His brow rose. He never recalled telling the squirt his name. Giving a slightly defeated sigh he closed his eyes, only to open them and see him still staring inventively at him.

“Fine…I won’t kill him.“ Seeing the boy relax he grabbed his hands and held them at his chest. “On one condition, I am to become your guardian.”

Gabriel knew Orion was going to say that but he had already decided on what he was going to do. He moved away from Orion who still insisted on holding onto him. Getting situated how he wanted to, he wiped his eyes and gave a shaky breath of both relief and fear. Fear that Orion wouldn’t keep his promise and Gabriel might feel betrayed, and relief that Tristan might live another day. He grabbed the furs beneath him and curled into them, feeling the man curl against his back and pretty much overtake his whole body. He tried to ignore the fact he was there, but it was slightly impossible. Bothered and still with heavy thoughts, Gabriel fell into a restless sleep.

 

Once again I found myself in what I was starting to call the Meadow. I moved to find the girl sitting next to the water with the wolf beside her, her hands petting his fur gently.

“I scared you away didn’t I?” she said, like she knew I was there. I watched as the wolf glanced over, watching me closely. I moved closer and folded my arms across my chest.

“You took me by surprise…but...I’m going to do it. I’m going to dismiss Tristan.”

“And take Orion?”

“No.” She and the wolf eyed me. “I just…well I never told him I would. I figured...when I get a chance to just run off again...” I watched her rise.

“They will find you. Hunt you down and take you back. You are the Jarkla. Your aura gives off a beacon.” I moved away and ran a hand through my hair.

“Then I’ll run. I’ll continue running.” The female frowned.

“Your whole life?” My shoulders sagged in defeat.

“…I don’t know. I don’t want this, I never did” She grabbed me without my even knowing she was that close and locked eyes with me.

“You think I did? I had no idea about it. I wanted to do so much with my life and I couldn’t because of what I was becoming. You think I enjoyed learning that the man I loved was dead because of a war between who would gain control?!”

“That’s why I’m leaving!” I suddenly exclaimed at her, both of us stopping as I yelled. “I don’t like the thought of being some tool in a battle…I don’t want a guardian. I just want…to have a family. To have friends…and I’m going to try.” Her eyes narrowed.

“You will fail.” She whispered. I pulled away from her grasp.

“At least I’ll try…instead of giving up like you did.” She frowned at me and like a flash was gone. I looked around the Meadow and saw no one there. I moved to the water, gazing down at it and staring at my reflection. I sighed softly knowing I had to try.

I'm getting the feelling that Gabriel is becoming a bit more..."manic" and very "multi-personality" with his constant mood swings and changes...all for good reasons I assure you :)
2018, Carmen Lovett; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..