Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Guardian - 21. New Alliances

Backtracked just a little bit, to see what the others did.

*One Week Earlier*

The hours of the full moon were coming to an end, and Orion had gone back empty handed. He was devastated that his brother was able to capture Gabriel. What bothered him was that it wouldn’t have happened if Jake and Jason had listened to him. Maybe he should have had Gabriel out with him. He would have been able to protect him. When the sun rose, Orion sat outside on the lawn chair, naked as always after the full moon. Tasha and Trent looked to their alpha and saw his depression. He knew he had enough members to overrun his brother, but he knew how his brother would act. If it came down to it, he’d either rape Gabriel or kill him. Orion was just beginning to get to know the kid and they were making leeway, and then this happens. Jason had shown up, moving past his mother and Trent to go to his father. He was holding a pair of jeans for him, wearing some shorts himself. He stopped a few feet short and cleared his throat.

“Dad?” Even after he cleared it, Jason’s voice was still soft and scared a bit. Orion didn’t look up at his son.

“Yes Jason?” he muttered as the young teen coming around and holding the jeans out for him.

“I’m sorry.” Jason said. Orion sighed. Jason hadn’t stopped apologizing all night. He took the jeans from his son and stood, pulling them up and, once on, sitting back down.

“It’s just words now son. I wish you two would have listened to me.” His irritation was noticeable in his tone and Jason frowned at his father. He moved closer. Though the man was upset with his son, he couldn’t hate him, or refuse the boy comfort. He moved over a bit as the teen sat beside him and leaned into him, Orion wrapping an arm around him and kissing his hair. “We’ll get him back, and your brother. I promise you that,” he murmured to him, his eyes soul set on the sky. Orion would have to do something he didn’t think he’d be willing to do under different circumstances. He needed to find Tristan. Scott threatened the life of an immature Jarkla, and most would know about the line breaking if something unnatural were to take his life. He could hear other foot falls coming as he turned his head to see Tasha and Trent. “Send out scouts to Island pack; make sure they wear white shirts. I want an alliance with them.” Trent was about to argue, but Tasha swung her arm to distract him, landing it on his stomach as he grunted and looked at the woman.

“I’ll send the fastest ones we have. Orion, what about the southern pack? Do you want to get them involved?” Orion thought about it when she brought it up. He didn’t want to trouble the pack but in this instance, the alpha there must have felt it.

“Yes. Send just two. I’ve never had issues with Leon before.” She gave a nod and turned to Trent who glared at her. Orion patted his son’s shoulder. “Go with her Jason,” he murmured to his son as the teen got up and followed his mother out. Trent moved closer, kneeling down to look at his alpha.

“Orion, what will we do?” Orion still didn’t have a plan exactly, and he wondered if the little bit he had would work. They’d already combined two packs, but would Leon submit to his leadership or stay his own entity and just give aid. Tristan was the one he needed. He was still bound to Gabriel in a way and if they were to assure he was ok; Tristen would be the only way.

“I hate to say it, but we have to wait. I know my brother, and I know what he’s capable of. I just hope that Gabriel is strong enough to withstand whatever Scott throws at him, and hope he doesn’t rape him. We need to insure these alliances first.” Trent moved closer to Orion, staring at him and almost making the man look at him when he got close enough.

“And what if it comes down to having to kill him?” Orion honestly felt nothing when the question was asked. After what Scott did, separating his children, taking Gabe and forcing the past one to take her life, Orion had had enough of his big brother.

“If I can’t kill him Trent,“ he looked straight at his beta, “you will have to for me.” Despite the bad feelings he had for his brother, there was still that spark, that small flame of love he had for him. They were brothers, and it was hard to change. If he couldn’t follow through, he needed Trent to do it. The young beta looked at his alpha and nodded.

“I won’t let you down.” Orion gave him a smile, it was a small one, but it was something that needed to be expressed. He took a breath and stood, letting it out in a nasal sigh. The waiting game. He hated games like these. He was praying to the moon that Gabriel was ok, and that his heart was still beating and that Jake was making him proud this very moment, just knowing he was there with him. He gave a wave, dismissing Trent. He wondered if Tristan could feel that Gabriel has been taken. He glanced up, seeing the depressed faces of the other pack members. Two more nights of the full moon yet none of them felt the moon was happy. He let his head hang down as the others went about their way, leaving their Alpha alone for the rest of the day.

Tristan had made a huge leap in his traveling to Arizona but something stopped him in the middle of the night of the first full moon. He felt panicked and he grunted as his clawed hand went to his side where it throbbed. Was Gabriel being attacked? He growled and kicked off the ground, running faster through the wilderness. Was Orion attacking him? Or perhaps the worst happened and Scott got to him. Whatever the case, he had to get there and quickly. The night run got him further than he expected, but by morning, Tristan was exhausted and he reverted to his feral form to avoid confrontations with humans. He panted hard, searching for something that would quench his thirst. He was able to find a small area where he could assess his side. He gazed at the reddened area and frowned. His shoulder had also begun to hurt. Gabriel was in trouble, possibly hurt and healing, but regardless of the case, he had to get to him and fast. Shifting back to his feral form, he once again began his trek, hunting small game to satisfy his hunger during his travels. When night fell again, he didn’t take a moment’s pause as he rushed through the miles to his destination, passing the salt lake in Utah. He knew he was getting close and hoped he would get down to where Orion was by the third night. With his increased speed in the moonlight, Tristan was defiantly gaining ground, but what he didn’t know, was that he had lost his jarkla, with only a city between the two as they had passed each other during the day. A few more days went by before Tristan reached the area where the pack resided and walked the sidewalks of the neighborhood. It was strange to see no one around. He wondered if they were in their homes, staying hidden. A frown formed on his muzzle but he continued onward only to stop when he saw Tasha standing before him in her human shape.

“Alpha Tristan. We received word that you were coming down here.” Tristan began to growl until he noticed one simple thing. Tasha was wearing a white shirt. Nothing else was on it, and it shinned in the light. “Please, come with me, Alpha. Orion wishes to speak with you.” She turned and began to walk to her house. Tristan was weary, but followed her at a good distance behind. As they reached the house, he saw a young boy standing, holding some clothes in his hands. He looked to Tasha. “My son has some clothes for you. I hope they fit. You may come inside to dress.” Tristan took the time to shift, taking the clothes from the boy as the teen bowed and then scampered inside. Tristan followed, hearing a not so familiar voice booming from the living room.

“How could you let that happen Orion?” the voice exclaimed angrily. “You of all people should have kept him close.” Tristan was pulling on the pants given to him as he rounded the corner to see a very frustrated looking man, another alpha. His eyes caught Orion’s slumped form, sitting in an arm chair with the same teen that handed him the clothes curled in his lap, the man holding him tenderly.

“I realize the mistake I made Leon, just let up on it. The main thing is we have to join forces in order to get them away. I don’t care about anything else but Gabriel and my son’s safety. Tasha is distraught as is the rest of my pack.” His voice was calm, and Tristan never heard it like that before. His hazel eyes met blue as Orion turned to see him. “Tristan.” He gave a nod and put on the best face he could when he walked in. “Your mother sent word that you were still on your way down here.”

“I can hear what’s going on already. You lost Gabriel didn’t you?” Orion frowned at Tristan’s question.

“Teens will play and go against their parents Tristan, and Gabriel was just having fun. Yes, Scott was in the area and I didn’t know. He captured him as well as my son Jake.” Tristan looked to the teen in the man’s lap. Tasha said that the boy was her son. His eyes met Orion’s again. “Jason here is Jake’s twin.” The boy glanced up at Tristan and he could see it. Just the simple mention of his brother Jake, and the boy was deeply hurt. Tristan glanced at Leon who looked like a troubled man, his head bald and nicked, a scruffy goatee that was nothing but grey and white. Given is age, Tristan realized he must have been the alpha of south pack. Tristan moved closer.

“I felt something, and I sensed something was wrong.” Orion sighed at Tristan’s statement.

“I figured you would since you have slightly bonded with him. Was he hurt badly?” The concern in the man’s tone made Tristan wonder if his father just loathed the man because of his connection with the desert pack.

“Cut most likely on his side, maybe dislocated his shoulder. My shoulder has been aching.” He could feel it now, the dread and guilt that just poured out of the older werewolf. He saw Jason looked up at his dad and nose his jawbone. The man only ruffled his son’s hair before shifting him off his lap.

“Go to your mother; be with her while we speak.” Jason whined but got up, kissing his father’s cheek before taking his leave. Leon also watched the youngster leave before looking to Tristan.

“So, you are the one that originally found him?” Tristan gave a nod.

“Yes. I found him two years back actually.” The old man gave a snort and looked at Orion.

“He should have the Jarkla. Perhaps he can actually look out for him.”

“Gabriel,” Orion muttered. Tristan heard the growl behind it and began to wonder what else had happened between the man and the teen.

“Whatever his name. Look, we need to attack now while we can.” Orion finally growled as Tristan moved further into the living room.

“You don’t think Scott knows that I will try? He’ll be thinking I would move against him instantly. Gabriel’s strong and can handle himself, hell he called me ‘goliath’ when he first met me. He can handle Scott, and he isn’t like the last one.” Tristan gave a chuckle, earning both men’s gaze.

“Sorry, that goliath thing…did he really say that?” Orion just snorted but Tristan saw his faint smile.

“Sure did. He was so frustrated, screamed at me a few days later.” Leon growled to get their attention.

“So because he stands up to you, you think he can handle himself with Scott? Remember what he caused the last one to do?”

“Gabriel only has ties to us. He has no one else.”

“Scott has your son. He can use him as a weapon.” That statement caught Orion off guard. It was true, Scott had his son and if he needed to get to Gabriel, to make the boy behave, he would use Jake against him. He muttered something incoherently. Leon didn’t wait for an answer. “You claim he’s strong, but Scott does have his ways with breaking people. His own pack is terrified of him but even more so to go against him. His beta is almost as big as you and I do not have that many members to give to that slaughter! You might as well forget about them both. Perhaps if the boy behaves, he’ll let your son go and at least you get your blood back.” It was Tristan’s turn to get angry.

“How can you say that? Granted you don’t know the Jarkla but it’s not fair to him to be with Scott! That man will demand our alliance or, once again, threaten to destroy us and then use him against us in order to force everyone to buckle beneath his power. Gabriel deserves a better life!” Leon snarled at the young Alpha, but Tristan held his ground. “Gabriel has had a very hard life, his parents hated him and he probably was close to killing himself. That’s how I found him so early, because every moment I felt him near, all I felt was this deepening sadness and regret for life. For him to be stuck with Scott would deepen that sadness and he’ll never be anything but that monster’s slut.” Tristan’s tone became more aggressive as he began to snarl through his words, his anger heavy in his voice. Orion never knew of the boy’s past, and hearing it straight from Tristan, it was no wonder the boy acted the way he did sometimes. Why he was raging with emotions all the time. Why that moment when Orion finally thought he’d gotten a barrier down, that Gabriel shoved one right back up. Orion needed to think, and he had to think fast. They would need to get inside the pack, but he was unsure how. He stood, both Leon and Tristan’s growls stopping as they looked at him.

“Given his past, the boy has changed in the short time he’s been with me. Scott will test him, and all his boundaries, but I’m sure, and quite positive he will test Scott’s.” Before Leon had a chance to speak, Orion held his hand up and glared. “I’m not saying Gabriel can turn him into a bag of sunshine and rainbows. I’m saying that it will buy us time to get a plan in motion and get them back. You are right Leon, in the fact that Scott will use my son against Gabriel. So the first plan of action will be just that. Get Jake back. With him back in our custody, we’ll be able to focus just o-“

“Orion!” The three men stopped and turned, seeing Tasha round the corner. It had been about four days since Gabriel’s capture but when Orion saw a smile on her face; he wondered exactly what was happening. “Jake’s been able to contact us.” All three suddenly looked shocked. Orion was quick to respond.

“How?” He almost heard his voice squeak but the others hadn’t noticed as Tasha walked in with a piece of paper. It was a printed email. Orion read it out loud.

“‘Mom, I don’t have much time, but this is the only way I can get a hold of you. Uncle has Gabe locked in his room, I haven’t seen him at all but I haven’t heard any screams either. He’s still alive. I’m fine, though I can’t say I’m getting the royal treatment. There are a few wolves here who hate Scott, and I think I can begin a riot with time. I have to go before they see me on the computer. I love you. Jake.’” Orion gave a huffed laugh before looking at Tasha. “You know he gets that from you.” She looked surprised and folded her arms. “The sneakiness. He gets it from you. I’m the ‘fight now talk later’ remember?” The two shared a soft laugh before Leon eyed Orion.

“So your kid looks like he’s already thinking way ahead of us. Now what?” Orion gave the paper back to Tasha.

“I doubt Scott will let him move around by himself, he must be watched all the time. Communication with him will be rare, but it might be possible if we search for loners, use them as messengers.” Tristan scoffed this time, earning all three’s glance.

“Loners? Why?” Orion held his finger up.

“Think about it. Scott will know they are loners because their smell will say so. Therefore he won’t know that they are working for us. Scott might accept them into the pack, and we’d still gain leverage if they play dumb well.” Leon shrugged.

“Sounds reasonable, but is Scott really that stupid?” Orion’s nose cringed as he thought about it.

“Guess you do bring up a point. Scott’s a paranoid fuck.” Orion sighed. The four stood there, all deep in thought. Leon brought his hand up to scratch at his rugged goatee as Tasha’s eyes darted between the men, Orion’s lips moved as if he was talking inwardly to himself. It was Tristan that finally broke the silence.

“You said that Gabriel would test his boundaries. Perhaps that’s just enough of a ‘distraction’ we’ll need in order for that to work.” The two men gazed at the young alpha, and Tasha smiled at the idea. Leon hesitated but replied back.

“It’s still risky.” Orion looked hard at Leon and took a breath. He moved away from them, looking outside at his pack. Young Neil was playing in the kiddy pool until his bright lavender eyes looked up to catch Orion’s.

“Gabriel won’t let himself die. Not when he made a promise.” Tristan and Leon both raised a brow as Tasha took her silent leave. “The past Jarkla had a son, the connection between them is probably stronger than the bond of a guardian and Jarkla. Even in his absence, the child’s mood affects the younger ones.” Surprised, both men rushed to the window though they tried not to show it. They saw the toddler, laughing and giggling as he played. He turned again to the three, the lavender eyes catching Leon and Tristan off guard. Orion smiled. “If we’re not enough reason to live, that kid is. Gabriel won’t give up. We’ll take the chance and hope that Gabe knows what he’s doing, if he does it.” He looked to Tristan. “You’ll know when he’ll be getting hurt, so each day look for anything new. If you feel the bond break, then we attack with everything we’ve got, no exceptions.” He turned to them. Tristan nodded.

“I’ll support you, but, do you expect to keep him for yourself?” Tristan had to know. He had to know if Orion planned on taking Gabriel from him. He stared at the older man.

“I want him to decide. I won’t force anything. His life is more important to me. If he chooses you, then the best is to you. “ Tristan stared at him, studying the man. He wanted to say Orion was lying, that he was going to back stab him and do whatever he wanted. But the look in his eyes, the sincerity of them was evident. Orion was speaking the truth. He would let Gabe decide. The sudden feeling of fear swept over him. What if Gabe did choose Orion over him? Staring at this man, he wasn’t sure what to think. At a time where Gabe’s life hung in the balance, he was trying to bring everyone together; trying to fight the very man he called brother. He didn’t hear Leon speaking, his eyes just watched as Orion turned to speak with Leon. Tristan wasn’t listening; he was too busy really thinking. His head turned to look back outside, to stare at the young toddler who ran from his caretakers, the dark beautiful hair, and the smile. It was strange; the toddler could have been Gabe as a child. Tristan was pulled from his thoughts when a heavy hand fell on his shoulders. He turned to see Orion looking at him.

“I want to apologize. I wish I could apologize to Gabe first. I threatened to take your life, and I took him from you. It’s my fault he’s where he’s at now. He could have been safe and in your custody, away from here, away from Scott.” Tristan stared at the man, hearing how soft his voice was, how it choked as he spoke. Tristan turned, the hand leaving his shoulder. He stared at the older wolf, gazing into his blue eyes. He held his hand out slowly.

“’Tough times build strong barriers, but also strong friendships.’. My father would say that to me. I hope we can put the past behind us, and look onto a brighter future, for our people, and for Gabriel. Now, and until my death, I grant an alliance with you, Orion of the Midwestern Pack.” Orion stared at the young alpha. He smiled and took Tristan’s forearm as he felt the young adult grip his.

“Your father was a wise ol’ wolf. I wish we had not been so bitter. My Pack, will always welcome yours, Tristan of the West.” Tristan let go, as did Orion.

“Of the West?” The wolf questioned. Tristan was only the alpha of Washington. Orion smiled.

“We have work to do. You will need to gather all the packs of the west, and bring them together. It’s time to recreate the League of Wolves.” Tristan’s eyes went wide, but it wasn’t Orion’s voice he heard next.

“Always hoping for that aren’t you.” The two turned to see Leon walking back in with a glass. “The League of Wolves….it was a tale even when I was a pup.” Orion chuckled.

“You should tell it old man.” He turned to Tristan. “Have you ever heard of it?” Tristan shook his head.

“My mother would only speak solemnly on subject. I never really heard the tale.” Leon sat down with a grunt.

“Well then, go grab some snacks and a few drinks, and I’ll tell you both the tale of their creation, and destruction.”

Next chapter might take some time, bare with me please!
2018, Carmen Lovett; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..