Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 2,226 Words
  • 3,491 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Second Chance - 1. Aftermath

Hello again, Adam and Kaleo are back in the continuation of their story. Let's get right into it!

(Adam)

“Hey, Adam!” “Morning, Carter!” “Hey, man!”

A chorus of voices greeted me as I entered the office, smiling and replying to everyone while I stood by the door and took off my jacket, hanging it on the coat rack by the door.

“Hey, guys, how’s it going?” I waved to everyone and went to sit at my desk. The aroma of coffee already filled the office – a sure sign that the work day has begun. The smiling faces of my new colleagues were always a joy to see and definitely a great way to start each day.

So far, I haven’t regretted making the decision to quit my old job and apply here, despite the lower salary. I was completely certain this was what I wanted to do. In fact, I think my new employer had more doubts than I did, telling me I was overqualified and asking me if I was sure about this. I understand that, he didn’t want to risk hiring someone who is used to much better conditions, only for them to quit a few weeks later when they realize it’s not what they imagined after all.

Nope, I couldn’t be happier with where I was right now – “Sunshine”, an institution for homeless kids. I had heard about this place before, while I was working at my old job, and I even made donations to it a few times. I knew it was a great place that helped not only homeless children and orphans, but also children who were kicked out of their homes by their parents, sometimes for nothing more than being gay.

Being here, I finally felt like I was making a difference in someone’s life. Meeting all these brave, strong kids is such a humbling experience and I got to do it, again and again. To see what they have been through and yet how kind, gentle and precious they are was a gift that I got to enjoy every day. I hate to say it, but I already started to have some favorites. There was a girl that reminded me of little Hanna from the island, very talkative and friendly. To my immense pleasure, I managed to stay in touch with Hanna and her mom, mostly exchanging messages on Facebook here and there. Who knows, maybe we’ll see each other again sometime, I know I’d like that for sure.

Since I already had extensive legal experience, I got a job in the legal team, but I also tried to spend as much time with the children as I could. Whenever there was an event or an activity to be organized, I was there to help.

As I said, it was an easy decision to apply here, just as easy as telling my old boss I decided to quit. He was quite shocked, that’s for sure, and quickly started pulling out tricks from his sleeve, trying to convince me to stay, but my mind was made up. I never bothered telling him the real reason, just that I needed a change – which was partly true. He didn’t have to know the rest, not like he would’ve understood it anyway.

It’s been three months since I started working at the “Sunshine”, three months since I returned from the island… God, how do I even begin to describe it? I still can’t fully wrap my head around what happened there, the things I went through, the stuff I’ve seen… And then, of course, there’s him – the mystery man. Kaleo.

When I first returned to Chicago, he was all I thought about – first thought in the morning, last thought at nightfall. Now, three months later, I still hope I’ll get to see him again. What would happen then? I had plans, scenarios in my head, but they changed every day. I often got lost in fantasies of him, daydreaming about what we could be doing, but this time, my thoughts were interrupted by my co-worker, Sophia.

“Hey, Adam, do you have the Phillips file, I think you worked on it yesterday?”

“What?” I was startled, my fantasies about Kaleo quickly vanishing. “Oh, yeah, it’s right here somewhere.” Going through some folders on my desk, I quickly found it and handed it to her.

“Thanks, you’re a doll,” she smiled warmly. “So, how was the date with Zack?” Her expression quickly changed as she gave me a mischievous look.

“Oh, it was fine. We went to that Italian place on Main Street,” I replied casually.

“And? That’s it?” She wanted more, as always – the dirtier the details were, the better.

“Come on, it was only our second date!”

“And will there be a third?”

“Probably,” I said, shrugging. “He’s nice, I don’t see why not.”

Zack was nice, no lies there. I don’t know what other adjectives I’d use to describe him; after all, we only had two dates so far.

We met a few weeks ago while waiting in line at a coffee shop. I never thought I’d actually go out with a guy with a man bun, but there he was, charming and funny, trying to cheer me up as I waited for what seemed like hours for my latte.

“I’m starting to believe the barista went to Brazil to get more coffee beans,” I heard a voice next to me and I couldn’t help but smirk.

“Just my luck,” I said, turning to the guy.

I quickly learned his name was Zack and he was thirty-three – just a year younger than me. Also, he was a regular visitor there. Well, he certainly made the wait more bearable. As I was leaving, he asked me out and I thought why not? Might as well try and get back on the market, don’t wanna get too rusty, right? Besides, I can’t keep on waiting for someone who is… God, I didn’t even know where he was.

“What about you, how are things with Braxton?” I tried changing the subject.

“Don’t get me started, his ex is calling him again, saying she misses him,” Sophia sighed.

“Too little, too late, girl,” I raised my eyebrows. “She should’ve thought of that before cheating on him.”

“That’s what I said! Anyway, now he’s thinking of changing his phone number. It’s like she’s psychic, always calling right as he’s about to enter my…”

“Ok, I get it, you got interrupted!” I raised my hands and started turning toward my desk as she started laughing. If I hadn’t stopped her, the story would’ve gotten way more graphic than is adequate for a workplace.

One thing’s for sure – it’s never a dull moment with Sophie around. That’s not to say other colleagues are boring. On the contrary, we all get along great and we all love what we do – helping the kids in any way we can.

I finished my work for the day about half an hour early and went down to the common area to spend some time with the kids. That’s always my favorite time of day, seeing how they are doing and meeting new arrivals. After chatting with them for about forty minutes, I decided to head back home. Not only was I starving and wanted to get some rest, but I also had another hungry beast waiting for me there!

As soon as I opened the apartment door, Neptune ran toward me and started jumping, trying to reach my face and lick it.

“Hey boy, did you miss me?! Daddy’s home!” I dropped my keys and hugged him, as he excitedly started to lick my face.

After I came back from Poa and quit my job, the first thing I did was visit my parents and got my dog back. I’m still not sure who was happier that day – me or him. I have to say, he was the best companion those first few weeks when I did nothing but feel nostalgic for the island. He didn’t ask any questions, he was just there, being great and keeping me company.

Having just finished lunch, I lay down on the couch and turned on the TV, Neptune lying beside me. My thoughts once again went to the island and Kaleo, and just as I was starting to relax and doze off, the phone rang.

“Hey Zack,” I greeted him, trying to sound animated. “Yeah, tomorrow’s fine.”

--

(Kaleo)

The smell of mom’s cooking spread throughout the kitchen and dining room, inviting me to join my parents for lunch. I sat down at the table opposite of dad and could already feel my appetite building up.

“There, now I’m going to feed you well while you’re here,” my mom Lea said in the classic mom style.

“I think I already gained ten pounds in the last month,” I said half-jokingly, rubbing my stomach. I did gain some weight since I returned, which I assumed was a result both of my mom’s excellent cooking and my recovery.

My dad proudly showed off his beer belly and smiled. “You still got a lot to go till you catch up with me!”

“Sure, Alek,” my mom interjected, smirking, “he is most certainly envious of your figure!”

“I don’t hear you ever complaining about it!”

“Like it would make any difference,” she said as she finally sat down to eat with us. “I know you love your food too much to go on a diet. And besides, I’m used to it already.” They smiled at each other lovingly. Even though they enjoyed teasing one another, there was nothing but love between them. I could only hope that one day I would find someone and have this thing they have right here – this unconditional love and affection my parents have shared for decades.

As usual, the lunch was delicious and I could basically feel new layers of fat being created in my body. Mom smiled at seeing me enjoy the meal and going for seconds. I couldn’t really blame her for wanting to please me, I knew both her and dad missed me dearly.

Since I’d moved to L.A., I rarely visited them since they were living in Portland, but after returning from Poa and quitting my job, I came straight to them. They were definitely surprised when I told them I left my job and wanted to stay with them for a little while, but they didn’t question me much. I just told them that after I went back to Poa, I felt homesick and wanted to start over, reevaluate my priorities and spend some time with my family. They were just overjoyed to have me back, and I was too, not going to lie.

As for the real reason I went to Poa, I never told them. The e-mail I wrote them when I found out I was sick was never sent, I couldn’t do it. In the end, grandpa was the only one who knew what happened. Well, he and Adam. They were the only ones who saw me at my worst, when I thought I was going to fall into the abyss, never to return, before being suddenly pulled by a saving hand.

Who knew that after saying goodbye to everything and coming to terms with leaving this earth, I would get a second chance at life? I was completely healed, and it was all thanks to Adam. Something, whether destiny or magic, or maybe even the island itself, brought us together. I remember when I first saw him on the ship, I immediately felt drawn to him. He was on my mind ever since that first encounter, and now that I was back, I knew what I had to do.

After I finished my meal and made myself comfortable on the couch in the living room, I took my phone and quickly opened the Notes app, reading his address for the millionth time. It was saved there, always taunting me, reminding me that something, someone, was waiting for me.

Well, to be honest, it’s been months and I’m not even sure if he’s still waiting for me, but I sure hope he is.

Dad quickly followed and sat on the other end of the couch, looking at me.

“So, how long do you plan to stay there?”

“Umm I’m not sure, haven’t decided yet,” I said honestly. That didn’t depend entirely on me. “Maybe a few days, maybe weeks… I’ll call you guys to let you know.”

“Yeah, you do that, son. You sure you don’t want me to drive you to the airport tomorrow?” dad offered.

“No, dad, it’s ok, I don’t wanna trouble you,” I said without really meaning it. I didn’t want to inconvenience him, but on the other hand, I wanted to spend more time with him.

“It’s no trouble, boy. I’m driving you and that’s it.”

“That’s it!” I laughed, pointing a finger at him, making him laugh as well.

Dad’s word was final and I didn’t want to argue. To be honest, I didn’t mind it at all, as I didn’t want to say goodbye to my folks just yet. Still, I’ve waited far too long, I couldn’t sit here anymore and do nothing, I had to pack my bags and go, start all over.

Tomorrow, I would finally go to Chicago to find him.

As always, thank you to everyone reading, commenting and liking the story! I hope you find it a good sequel to The Island of Poa.
Copyright © 2018 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I read The Island of Poa first as suggested. It’s good that Adam changed his lifestyle and I know he’ll be happy at the Sunshine. Just imagine Kaleo also being pulled in there!! 🤗🤗

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

I read The Island of Poa first as suggested. It’s good that Adam changed his lifestyle and I know he’ll be happy at the Sunshine. Just imagine Kaleo also being pulled in there!! 🤗🤗

I'm glad you gave the story a chance. Yeah, we'll see what happens when the guys reunite :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I, also backtracked and read The Island of Poa...it was awesome...So will this be a weekly fix, bi-weekly(fingers crossed), or when ever we sneak up on your computer??? 0:) Great story....we'll be here...WAITING...patiently??:thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Onim said:

I, also backtracked and read The Island of Poa...it was awesome...So will this be a weekly fix, bi-weekly(fingers crossed), or when ever we sneak up on your computer??? 0:) Great story....we'll be here...WAITING...patiently??:thumbup:

Thank you so much! :P Hmm I'm not sure yet, I don't have a fixed schedule, but I think it'll be once per week or 2 weeks (unless you're a good hacker). :ph34r:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I am glad the story is continuing.  I can’t wait to see the grand reunion in Chicago and I wonder if either of them realizes how much the other has been pining for them.  Great start to a new tale. Thanks again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, glennish said:

I am glad the story is continuing.  I can’t wait to see the grand reunion in Chicago and I wonder if either of them realizes how much the other has been pining for them.  Great start to a new tale. Thanks again. 

Thank you! I can't wait to write the reunion chapter, it's long overdue that they meet.

Link to comment

Didn't spot this was a follow up story to Poa when it appeared, so now enjoying catching up without having to wait or the next chapter :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Didn't spot this was a follow up story to Poa when it appeared, so now enjoying catching up without having to wait or the next chapter :)

Well there ya go, surprise! :P

 

Link to comment

Awwwwwwww they're the two cutest men GA has ever featured :) this is the sweetest story friend, thank you for giving us more of them!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, AusGlitterati said:

Awwwwwwww they're the two cutest men GA has ever featured :) this is the sweetest story friend, thank you for giving us more of them!

Thank you for reading! Prepare for cuteness overload ^_^

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..