Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 2,047 Words
  • 2,894 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Island of Poa - 5. Rescue

Here is the next chapter and I really hope you enjoy it. We're slowly reaching the end of the story, so there will probably be just one more chapter.

(Adam)

I was completely stunned after talking to Kaleo’s grandpa! I didn’t have the slightest idea that Kaleo was so ill. It just goes to show that no matter how people look on the outside, you can never know what’s happening on the inside, what’s troubling them. Now I get why he was so unwilling to talk about his life, but of course that could also be because I’m nothing more than a stranger to him.

Still, stranger or not, I couldn’t help but feel worried for him. As soon as I talked to his grandpa, I rushed out, sat in my SUV and drove off in the direction of the mountain where he supposedly went.

I don’t even remember the way, or how long it took me to get there, I was just so preoccupied with worrying whether I’ll arrive on time and whether I’ll be able to help him.

It’s strange how you can be so scared and concerned for someone you barely even know. I have several very good friends back home, and have had a few serious boyfriends, all of which I care or cared about a lot, but this is the first time that I felt this sort of connection with someone I just met a few weeks ago. Whatever it was, I had to try and help him as much as I can. Unfortunately, judging by what Kaleo’s grandpa told me, the illness was in and advanced stage and there was not much anyone would be able to do.

I refused to believe that. He is still so young…

I drove up as far as I could and then continued hiking up the trail, looking around. I had no idea where he could be, so I just kept calling his name out loud, hoping he’d hear me.

After about ten minutes, I saw someone lying on the ground next to a tree. My heart started pounding and I just hoped that it was him and that I wasn’t too late. I rushed toward where the person was lying and sure enough, it was him!

“Kaleo! Are you alright?”

I knelt down, trying to see if he was awake. I felt such incredible relief when he opened his eyes and blinked at me.

“Adam? What… what are you doing here?” He mumbled, recognizing me and trying to get up.

“Here, let me help you!” I offered him my hand and helped him get up. “Can you stand?”

“Yeah, I think so,” he said. As he stood up, he stumbled and almost fell back down again, but I quickly put my arms around him and held him up.

“Here, I got ya! Easy. Can you walk? My car is just about ten minutes from here.”

“Ugh, I hope so,” he said, moving slowly with me supporting him. He was clearly in pain.

“How did you know I was here?”

“I went to your house and your grandpa told me. He’s very worried about you,” I said.

“Thank you for coming, you didn’t have to… I, uh, fell down and…” he tried to hide the truth, unaware that I already knew what was going on.

“Hey, no worries, man. Let’s just get into the car and I’ll take you home, then you can get some rest, ok?”

“Yeah. Thank you so much,” he repeated.

It took us a while to get to the SUV since we had to walk slowly because of Kaleo. I even offered to carry him in my arms, but he insisted he could walk with my help. I think he was either shy or embarrassed, or maybe even both, so I didn’t want to push it.

The ride home was quick and quiet. I put him on the back seat so he could lie down and rest. We were both silent for most of the trip as I didn’t want to tire him out. After about fifteen minutes, we were back at his home, with his grandpa waiting outside, nervous and worried. He nearly jumped from the bench he was sitting on when he saw the SUV approaching.

“My boy, are you alright?” He hurried to Kaleo to help him get out of the car.

“Yes, grandpa, I’m fine, thanks to Adam,” he replied, trying to put a smile on his face even though he was in pain.

We brought him into the house, and helped him lay on the bed.

“Pa, the backpack… The plant is there,” he said, pointing to his backpack that I brought in and put down on the table. His grandpa immediately came and took it, as I was looking around confused, not knowing what that was all about.

“I’ll make you some tea right away,” his grandpa said, taking some plants out of the backpack and taking them with him to the kitchen. I was still standing by the bed, next to Kaleo.

“How are you feeling, Kaleo? Do you need anything else?” I asked gently. I felt so helpless, not being able to do anything to help him, when it suddenly hit me. I had to try it, what else could I do? I think he must’ve seen that I was nervous and wanted to leave.

“Thank you, Adam, but no. I don’t want to take any more of your time. Pa will look after me now,” Kaleo replied in a weak voice.

“Ok, if you’re sure. Can I come back tomorrow to see how you’re doing?”

“Of course,” he said, smiling at me. As I turned to go, he called for me again. “Adam, thank you so much. This means a lot to me.” I just smiled and nodded before I left, getting back into the SUV I rented. Once again, I was in a hurry to get somewhere, but this time it was the forest.

After a drive of about half an hour, I parked near the entrance to the woods and got out of the vehicle. From this point on, I’d have to continue by foot. Who knew that I would go there again, twice in the same day.

As I walked down the familiar path, I just kept hoping that I would find Hiri again. Although I was here just several hours ago, I wasn’t sure of the exact location of her hut, so I had to rely on my instincts. I remembered that I was sitting on a large rock when I noticed Hiri’s hut, so I kept looking around trying to see if I’d recognize it. Just as I started to lose hope, I looked up and there it was – not the rock, but the hut itself. I’m still not sure if it was in the same spot or if it somehow magically moved, but I didn’t even care. I ran toward it and just as I reached it and was about to knock on the door, she opened it.

“Hello, Adam,” she said softly, smiling at me.

I was startled for a second, but then realized that of course she had to have known I was coming. The spirits, or whatever was giving her the power, probably allowed her to see things. I can’t explain it, none of it, but I was quickly becoming a firm believer of everything she told me.

“I knew you’d return, but I didn’t expect you quite so soon,” she chuckled, allowing me to enter.

“Me neither, to be honest,” I replied, feeling nervous that she wouldn’t be able or willing to help me. “I need your help. Well, actually, a friend of mine needs your help,” I blurted out hastily.

She was as calm as ever, slowly moving across the room, motioning for me to sit on the chair. She sat across from me, taking a kettle and pouring tea for the both of us.

“Of course you do, that’s why you came,” she said. “Come on, drink up and then we’ll see.” She handed me a teacup while I looked at her nervously. Kaleo could be dying back there and we’re supposed to sit and drink tea?!

“You don’t understand, my friend is very sick, can you please help him?” I pleaded, wanting for her to hurry up and do something.

“Now, Adam, we’ve talked about this. I told you how the spirits work, how my power works. I’m not some… witch with unlimited magical powers,” she said as she took a sip of tea and gave me a look that told me I should not question anything she says.

I followed her actions and took a sip of tea as well. What was in it anyway? I still couldn’t figure out if it was just some herbal mixture or a magic potion – or maybe both. As I drank it, she smiled and extended her hand toward me, placing it on the table.

“Come on, give me your hand and focus.”

She took my hand in hers and closed her eyes. I did the same, trying to concentrate as much as I could. I sat there completely still, almost afraid to breathe. After a minute or two she spoke, startling me.

“I did not expect such a quick change of heart, Adam,” she said as her lips curved into a soft smile.

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused.

“The picture is so much clearer now than it was earlier today. I am glad you have such a selfless desire, not many people do. Many come here wishing for money, power or to make someone fall in love with them. Of course, the latter is something I neither could nor would do, ever. But you have come here, feeling so strongly about someone who is no more than a stranger to you.”

I just sat there and listened attentively, waiting to hear her conclusion. Could she or could she not help Kaleo? I had to believe that she could. If magic was actually real, if she really had all this power, how could she not?

(Kaleo)

I laid on the bed in my grandpa’s house, with my eyes tightly closed and the covers drawn almost to my mouth. I could hear the birds outside, chirping in the trees, and the soft breeze rustling the leaves.

Adam had just left. I wanted him to stay, but what would I say to him? I didn’t want him to know what was really going on, I didn’t want him to feel sorry for me. He would go back home soon anyway, so what’s the point? Why ruin his holiday?

So I let him go… He wasn’t in the house anymore, but he was still in my head, I couldn’t stop thinking about him. If only things were different, if we had met under different circumstances…

Grandpa pulled me out of my trance when he silently entered the room and sat on the bed. As I felt him sitting next to me, I opened my eyes and saw him looking at me, with worry and hope in his eyes.

“I made it, here,” he said with a gentle smile, holding a cup in his hands. It contained hot herbal tea made from the Morning Tear plants that I brought from the mountain.

This was my only hope now. I carefully took the cup as if it were the Holy Grail itself, blowing in it to cool the liquid down a bit faster. Grandpa just sat there, looking at me. I could see that he was suffering for me, that his heart was aching, but there was nothing he could do, we both knew it.

Finally, I took a sip. It was bitter, but not unpleasant. Although it was still warm, it also had a strange cooling effect in my mouth, sort of like mint. Still, even if it tasted like dog shit, I would’ve drank it, I had no choice. Sip by sip, I drank the entire cup and gave it back to Pa.

“There’s more if you want,” he said hopefully.

“Thanks, I think I’m good for now,” I replied.

“Alright, now get some rest,” grandpa said and got up to go to the living room, leaving me alone. As soon as he was gone I tucked myself in, closed my eyes and was soon overtaken by sleep.

Will anything be able to cure Kaleo? We'll find out in the next chapter :read:
Copyright © 2017 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, Canuk said:

Lets just say that gaydar is neither of our main protagonists strong suit!

Lol could be true! I think both of them suspect it, but Kaleo doesn't want to start anything because he knows he doesn't have much time left, and Adam is going back home soon.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Poa sounds like such a magical relaxing place. I can't wait to see if the spirits of the island can heal Kaleo. And also what the future holds for both boys.  Such a wonderful magical story.  Thank you. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, glennish said:

Poa sounds like such a magical relaxing place. I can't wait to see if the spirits of the island can heal Kaleo. And also what the future holds for both boys.  Such a wonderful magical story.  Thank you. 

Thanks! Happy you liked it! We'll see what happens, this is the one story I'm not gonna spoil to you :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I got through this whole chapter without saying "awwwwww." 

 

(That's a vicious lie.)

Adam's such a sweetheart and I'm hoping against all odds that both boys get another chance. ❤️ 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..