Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 2,643 Words
  • 3,013 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Island of Poa - 6. Recovery

Well, it's time to say goodbye to Adam and Kaleo. I hope you enjoyed the story, I know I had a lot of fun writing it! :*) 

(Kaleo)

I woke up the next morning feeling completely rested. No wonder – when I opened my eyes and looked through the window, the sun was so high it must’ve been noon. I realized I’d been sleeping for almost ten hours. Looking around the room, I noticed my grandpa sitting comfortably in the armchair by the door.

“I was waiting for you to wake up, I wanted to let you sleep and get some rest,” he said. I could see he was worried, he probably hadn’t slept all night. I felt so bad for him, he must’ve thought I wasn’t going to wake up again.

“I’m fine, Pa,” I said quickly, putting a smile on my face. I got up from the bed and went to give him a hug, which was when he started crying.

“How are you? Do you think…” he started to speak through the sobs. I pulled away from the hug and looked him in the eyes, my hands firmly on his shoulders.

“Yeah, I think it worked,” I grinned. His face started to change, as if he started to allow hope and happiness to replace worry and sorrow. “I feel great, Pa. I can’t explain it, I just feel it, I know it!”

He hugged me again, this time even more tightly. His joy was endless. Tears have returned, but this time they were tears of happiness.

After we managed to calm down and stop crying, we went to the kitchen to have a very late breakfast. He told me that he stayed in my room the entire night, watching over me. He said I was shaking, sweating like I had a horrible fever, and even mumbling something unintelligible in my sleep. Funny thing is, I can’t remember any of it. I feel like I had the best ten hours of sleep ever.

“You have to go and get checked to be sure,” Pa said.

“I know, as soon as I go back home, I’ll make an appointment at the clinic,” I replied. I also wanted to be 100% sure, to have it confirmed officially, although I already knew. I could somehow feel that it worked and that I was completely healthy. It felt great – no, it felt amazing! I was so happy and so full of gratitude, it’s something I’ll never be able to put into words. You can’t understand it unless you’ve lived it.

After we ate, I remembered that Adam said he’d come and check up on me, but I didn’t want to wait. I decided to go to the hotel and see if he’s there. I didn’t have his phone number, so I had to hope I’ll be lucky and find him there, or at the very least leave him a message.

“Pa, I’m gonna go to the hotel to see Adam,” I said as I put on my shoes and grabbed my car keys.

“He was worried about you yesterday, I’m glad he found you. Tell him I appreciate everything he did for you!”

“I will, Pa,” I nodded and made a light smile. Then, I turned around and walked out the door.

(Adam)

With a heavy heart, I was preparing to say goodbye to my time on this precious little island and go back home. On one hand, these two weeks flew by so incredibly quickly. However, so much had happened to me during that time, that I feel like I’ve been living here for years.

I know I have to return home, and I sort of miss it – I miss my own place, my family and my dog. Of course, there are also things I don’t miss the least bit, things I know I have to change. I’m still not sure how that’s going to work out, but I guess I just have to rip the band-aid off. For the past few days I’ve been mentally preparing to quit my job, having an imaginary conversation with my boss, trying to come up with responses to any questions he might have and any attempts to get me to change my mind.

After witnessing this magic and beauty, how can I go back to the life-sucking job that only brings me money and nothing else? Working ten hours a day, six days a week has only led me to becoming estranged from my friends, leading a solitary life without even having time for my boyfriend. Yeah, I really can’t say I’ve been the best boyfriend I could’ve been, but that’s me, only realizing things after it’s too late. Apart from my job, this was another thing I was planning to change once I got back home. I know I’ve said that many times, but this time I mean it.

But first, before I leave this tiny green gem in the middle of Pacific, I had to say goodbye. I went to what quickly became my favorite restaurant for some light breakfast. I was surprised, but happy to see little Hanna there. This time, she wasn’t sitting at a table and drawing, but playing in the garden next to the restaurant. Although I was glad to see her, I was also a bit nervous because I had to say goodbye. It probably wasn’t going to be pretty.

I waved and got her attention. She quickly left her toys and ran over to my table, smiling.

“Hey, Adam!”

“Hi, Hanna! You’re up so early!”

“Yeah, I came to help mama,” she said like she meant it.

“I see,” I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Wanna have breakfast with me?”

“I’m not hungry, I already ate. But if you wanna buy me ice-cream, that would be awesome.”

“Sure. Let me just eat and then we’ll have some ice-cream together!” It was an easy deal with Hanna. If only adults were as easy to get along with as kids are. She returned to her toys after I promised to call her once I’m done with my breakfast. Just then, her mom appeared to take my order.

“Hey, Adam,” she was polite and smiling as always.

“Hey, Moana, how are you today?”

“Busy, but can’t complain. What about you?”

“I’m good, although a bit sad. It’s my last day of vacation.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that,” she said with a sympathetic smile. “We’ll miss you here. Hanna has taken a liking to you.”

“I know, she is adorable. I’ll miss you girls, too. I’ve really come to like this place a lot, I just can’t explain it.”

“We get that a lot from tourists,” she said, nodding in amusement and understanding. “I guess this place just has that kind of effect on people, even us who live here all the time.”

I can definitely testify to that.

After I ate my breakfast, I went to get Hanna and break the big news, hoping it would be easier with some ice-cream. It helped, but just a little.

Out goodbye was bittersweet. She cried a bit, I cried a bit, but we managed not to completely embarrass ourselves in front of all the people on the street. I wanted to tell her I’d be back, but I didn’t want to make promises I wasn’t sure I would keep, no matter how much I wanted it to. Being here was nothing short of amazing, but I was afraid the magic would vanish if I returned again. Of course, who knows how I’ll feel about it after a few years.

Finally, I told Hanna I had just added her mom on Facebook, and that we could stay in touch online. I promised her I’d send her pictures from America, and she promised she would come visit me when she grew up.

Even though saying goodbye to the island, to Hanna and her mom was tough, it was nothing compared to saying goodbye to Kaleo. I even thought about leaving without saying goodbye, but I couldn’t. For one, I had to make sure he was alright, that Hiri’s magic indeed worked, but I also wanted to see him at least once more.

After I finished with Hanna and went back to the hotel, he was there, apparently waiting for me. Seeing his face, positively beaming, I got my confirmation – it worked!

“Kaleo, hi! How are you? I was just planning on coming to your place to check on you,” I said, offering a hand.

“I’m feeling great, thanks! I know you said you’d come, but I was restless and had to get out, so I came here. Thank you for everything, I feel much better now. In fact, I feel perfect!” he said with infectious enthusiasm. I felt so happy for him, my heart was full. This was honestly the best news I could have gotten and it certainly made this whole goodbye thing much easier to bear.

In the end, I couldn’t tell him I was leaving. We sat and talked for a short while and I was thinking of ways to tell him, but somehow I couldn’t. I didn’t want to admit to myself that it mattered so much to me – I was scared.

Luckily, my troubles were short-lived as he soon excused himself, saying that he had to run some important errands. I left him under the impression that we’d probably see each other later that day or tomorrow.

Maybe I’ll leave him a note with his cousin working at the hotel. It will be less intimidating that way…

(Kaleo)

Well, seeing Adam again was… good, to say the least! It felt great talking to him without the pressure of my illness weighing on me. He was nice and polite as always. Then again, I’ve only known him for two weeks, so what do I know? Still, every time we met during that short time span, he’s been nothing but kind.

I hope I managed to convey just how thankful I am for his help. If he hadn’t found me when he did, who knows if I would’ve been able to return home and drink the potion that ultimately saved my life. So, I definitely owe him big time! I would’ve liked to have stayed and talked to him all day, but I didn’t want to bother him that much, I’m sure he’s got things to do. Also, I needed to make another visit.

After leaving the hotel, I got in my car and drove off to the forest. I needed to try and find Hiri, not just because I promised Pa I would, but also because I needed to do it for myself. I wanted to ask her if the Morning Tear potion had actually worked. Although I was positive it did, it couldn’t hurt to try and find her and ask her. If the legends about her are true, she would be able to tell me.

I thought finding her would be a difficult task. I thought I’d have to wander around the woods, maybe even get in danger, but no – I was actually pleasantly surprised. After a walk of about fifteen minutes, I came across a small hut in the middle of the forest. It had to be hers – who else would live there?

I felt my heart start beating faster, I could hear the pounding in my head. I was getting nervous, but there was no way I was going back. Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t, as she appeared, opening the door and stepping out.

“Hi, Kaleo, it’s so good to finally see you.”

My first instinct was to ask her how she knew who I was, but I realized the question would be redundant. Of course she’d know it, she’s Hiri.

“Thank you, uh, it’s nice to see you to,” I said nervously.

“Come on in, we have to talk,” she smiled and turned to go back into the hut. I followed without a word.

I didn’t even have time to properly look around and stare in awe at all the things displayed inside her hut – the potions on the shelves, the animal bones, the raven on the closet, the lizard on the window sill… She had me sit down at the table opposite her and poured me some tea.

She seemed to know why I was there and she reassured me I had nothing to be afraid of. I certainly wasn’t afraid of her, but of what she might say. After we both drank this strange tea, tonic, or whatever it was, she took my hand.

“Ahh, let me see.”

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply in and out. I did the same, I don’t know why. It just seemed I should follow whatever she was doing. Just as I was beginning to relax, she spoke again.

“Dear Kaleo, I can only confirm what you wanted to know – everything is alright with you.”

“You mean… I’m cured?” I asked, nervous and excited at the same time. This was one of the most important moments of my life.

“Yes, you are. You’re one hundred percent healthy,” she smiled. I gave a sigh of relief and started laughing. I was so happy, I didn’t care if she thought I was crazy or inappropriate.

“Yes, it seems like you have a very good friend who cares about you,” she looked at me knowingly.

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts.

“What do you mean – a friend?”

--

The next thing I knew, I was running through the woods, but this time I was hurrying to get out. Hiri’s words kept echoing in my head.

It was Adam! I can’t believe he did it!

I wasn’t sure of anything anymore… Was it the potion, or was it Hiri that cured me following Adam’s wish? Ultimately, it didn’t even matter. I was healthy for whatever reason. Still, I couldn’t drop this just like that. I had to go back and find Adam. He knew it, he knew everything and he did all of that to save my life!

It felt like I was running through the Amazon, the forest seemed never-ending. Leaves and branches were scratching me as I was trying to find my way out as fast as possible. After a few more minutes, I finally got to the clearing where my car was parked and drove off to the hotel. I was speeding, but I didn’t care.

Luckily, my cousin was working at the hotel at the time and I quickly found her. She noticed I was all flustered and red in the face, trying to catch my breath, but I didn’t have the time or will to explain.

“Hey, could you help me? I need to find Adam, the guy who’s been staying here,” I blurted out.

“Uh, yeah, sure, the guy who asked about you,” she said as she went through the check-in information. A few excruciating minutes later, she finally stopped at his name. “Sorry, but he checked out today,” she said, showing me his information on the screen.

“Fuck!” I cursed out loud, not caring that I was drawing attention to myself.

As I rushed out of the hotel, my eyes were fixed on one spot far in the distance, and I felt my stomach drop.

There it was, far away on the horizon – the ship had already set sail and he was on it.

Why didn’t he say anything? I didn’t even get the chance to tell him… My mind was overwhelmed, I was thinking about every encounter and conversation we had, analyzing what was said and what was left unsaid. I was sure, absolutely sure…

As I was standing there, looking at the ship disappearing in the distance, my hand was clutching the paper my cousin had just given me:

Adam Carter, 247 South Avenue, Chicago IL, 60621

 

- THE END -

Thank you all for reading and commenting, I hope you like this last chapter. Feel free to let me know in the comments!
Copyright © 2017 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 15
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

26 minutes ago, Kjamieson said:

That was a really sweet story! Will there be a sequel? Kaleo heading to Chicago to see Adam maybe? A guy can hope!

Thanks, I'm so happy you liked it! For now, I'm not planning a sequel, but I left the ending open in case I change my mind later, so who knows... :P

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, ObicanDecko said:

Thanks, I'm so happy you liked it! For now, I'm not planning a sequel, but I left the ending open in case I change my mind later, so who knows... :P

the writing muse knows!. i enjoyed this story, but now i want more lol

  • Like 4
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

the writing muse knows!. i enjoyed this story, but now i want more lol

Glad to hear that! Let's hope the muse keeps inspiring me lol :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

How could you leave us hanging on the cliff like that

Please tell me you have a sequel following this :,(

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I liked the whole story and build up to the "ending". I hope there would be a sequel as the story is just to good to leave it hanging. Great job once again!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Avaloch said:

I liked the whole story and build up to the "ending". I hope there would be a sequel as the story is just to good to leave it hanging. Great job once again!

Thank you so much for the amazing comment, it means a lot! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Sweetlion said:

Meet again! Meet again! More! Moooore :D

 

9 hours ago, long1jo said:

How could you leave us hanging on the cliff like that

Please tell me you have a sequel following this :,(

Sorry guys, I don't have any immediate plans for a follow-up, but if/when I come up with a proper storyline, I may do a sequel. I ended it this way because I thought it had a lot of hope - Kaleo was cured and there was the implication that he'd see Adam again. But I'm happy you liked the story! All of the comments are definitely encouraging me to reconsider a sequel :P

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A sequel would be awesome but if you never touch this story or these characters again this is the perfect ending. Kaleo knows what Adam did and Adam left Kaleo his address.  From this point on we can use our imagination to picture the grand reunion in Chicago and maybe the new couple moving back to the magic island. Thanks and merry Christmas. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, glennish said:

A sequel would be awesome but if you never touch this story or these characters again this is the perfect ending. Kaleo knows what Adam did and Adam left Kaleo his address.  From this point on we can use our imagination to picture the grand reunion in Chicago and maybe the new couple moving back to the magic island. Thanks and merry Christmas. 

Thanks, that's exactly what I intended, to leave it up to readers to fill in the blanks! I'm glad you liked the way I endes it. Merry Christmas! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am so glad I decided to read this story first! I don't know if "A Second Chance" is a stand alone story, but I am certain reading this will make it more enjoyable! You created two special characters. I liked how their paths crossed as they were both on their own quest. I loved the myth/magic part of the story. It enhanced without overwhelming the story or being overdone. Nicely done! Thank you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I am so glad I decided to read this story first! I don't know if "A Second Chance" is a stand alone story, but I am certain reading this will make it more enjoyable! You created two special characters. I liked how their paths crossed as they were both on their own quest. I loved the myth/magic part of the story. It enhanced without overwhelming the story or being overdone. Nicely done! Thank you.

Thanks for the great comment! The stories are connected, so it's definitely better that you read this one first, to have the full background of the characters and how they first met. I'm happy you like it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

No idea how I missed this posting! Great story, happh but sad ending. The address gives us hope that they may find each other. 

 

Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Canuk said:

No idea how I missed this posting! Great story, happh but sad ending. The address gives us hope that they may find each other. 

 

Thanks.

Thank you!

I've already started the sequel to this story, it's called A Second Chance. Feel free to check it out! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

AWWWWWWW friend that was actually such a beautiful story ❤️ I know the comments were irreverant, but I wholeheartedly loved the entire lot. I'm so glad that there's a sequel! I look very forward to seeing more of these two. Even if there were no sequel, the ending was perfect. You're a talented writer indeed and I'm excited to read more of what you've published and then some! :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, AusGlitterati said:

AWWWWWWW friend that was actually such a beautiful story ❤️ I know the comments were irreverant, but I wholeheartedly loved the entire lot. I'm so glad that there's a sequel! I look very forward to seeing more of these two. Even if there were no sequel, the ending was perfect. You're a talented writer indeed and I'm excited to read more of what you've published and then some! :)

Thank you, you know I appreciate it so much coming from you! :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..