Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 2,433 Words
  • 2,506 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Semester. - 14. Chapter 14

Peter does some whistling.

One Semester.

For the first time in his life Joel felt the pressure of so many time demands getting to him. For nearly two weeks he'd been having a rushed breakfast at six o'clock in the morning so he could fit in two hours of work and study before he went to lectures, and then, while the afternoon swims continued there was always some reason to cut them short. Peter laughed at him one day when he was groaning in frustration at how much time it was taking to complete an assessment task which was due the next day and stopping him studying other subjects.

"It's the same every Semester and you get used to it. Just remember it will soon be over and you're going to do well. When you worry too much it stops you thinking properly."

"Did you feel like this?"

"Worse than you in my first Semester. Then I heard everyone else in my group complaining and I worked out it was normal."

"Ha! If everyone thinks this is normal then they're all crazy."

"Join the club."

The very next day Sam was groaning and complaining about exactly the same things and Joel laughed while he passed on Peter's advice. Peter was right of course and they were into the last few days in what seemed like the blink of an eyelid. Wow. Tittybong and home started looming in his mind.

Martin's big stir was how Peter was deserting him for Joel but that was a total joke because he and Dani were going up to Sydney for the first week.

Phillip and Sam were full of talk about their trip to the Port Fairy Music Festival and the Grampians, and Sam was especially excited because he'd been in contact with Craig several times and organised a pickup on the way through.

On the last Thursday everyone gathered in Unit 42 for a kind of celebration and Peter carried on like an idiot about Sam's likely exploits with Craig and Phillip when they got to Port fairy, and how Sydney would never be the same after Martin and Danny wrecked it. Each time he said something he'd be dumped on the floor for muscle crunches or head bops and after begging for mercy and promising never to say such things again he'd be released and the grin would reappear. A few moments later he'd be mangled all over again.

Joel saved him a couple of times, but not with much conviction, because his outrageous comments really did warrant some sort of come back. At one stage Joel thought even Phillip might join the retribution when he was offered special geriatric Viagra pills to help him keep up with Sam. At about half past five everyone left to pack and get ready for their trips which were all starting when morning lectures finished the next day. Phillip and Sam would deliver Sam's car then leave in Phillip's big ute just after midday and when Second-year classes finished at one Martin would rush off to pick up Dani.

***

His mum was utterly happy to see him and completely delighted by his surprise arrival, due to the loan of Sam's car, three days early. She made a great fuss over Peter and took him to the guest room which looked the tidiest Joel could ever remember. Peter was so polite and reserved Joel had to smile and that got him a 'just you wait' look which his mum then picked up on. She didn't say anything though, just told Peter this was his room and he was to make himself at home and asked him if he'd like a steak for tea or some chicken fillets because they must be starving after such a long drive. When Peter paused and said the chicken fillets sounded great, his mum laughed.

"Joel, show Peter round store and get some steaks out of the freezer while I make up this bed. If Peter's going to help us with the stocktaking we'll have to feed him properly. Then you can unpack and organise yourselves while I do the cooking."

A few moments later Peter was staring round in amazement.

"Your mum looks after all this? Why is it so big? I only saw two other houses."

It had been fun arriving at the township sign which proclaimed they were now entering Tittybong and watching Peter look for signs of habitation.

"There are two more houses further along the road but one's been empty for ages. The room's big because when it was built years ago, before the supermarket came to Wychie, it was a general store. The Post Office and Banking is what really keeps it going now."

"Are we going to get much time to ourselves?"

"As soon as we finish the stocktake I'll show you all the sights."

"All the sights of Tittybong? Can't wait to tell Martin about all the exciting dams and paddocks."

"We'll take a break tomorrow afternoon and go for a drive."

"Too long. I'll sneak into your room when your mum's gone to bed."

"No you won't. She'll know.

***

Peter's reserved manner disappeared as soon as the stocktaking work started and Joel listened to his mum laughingly respond to the comments he came out with. He was brilliant at the stocktaking and by mid-morning was completely competent with the cash register as well and happily serving any customers who came in.

At the end of the second day Joel was sitting with his mum in their little lounge while Peter was having a shower and a shave.

"How did you meet him? He's the nicest friend you've ever had."

"It was funny really. I met him in the laundry and he helped me with the machines."

"He likes helping doesn't he? I can't believe how good he is with the stocktaking, and he's a natural in the store."

"He loves helping. He helps everyone at College and he's very clever. He got me through a six-week assignment in only three days and I got a high distinction for it, and whenever I'm stuck with something he shows me."

"He gives you that much of his time?"

"And everyone else. He says it helps him understand his own work better."

"I really like him, Joel.

....He's kind and he's really good looking."

"... What?..."

Joel was taken aback by the unusual tone in his mum's voice and still thinking how to answer when she gave him a big hug.

"Why don't you move him into your room tonight?"

"What?"

"I don't mind, Joel. I'm just happy you've found someone you can be close with."

Even more lost for words Joel stared at his mum who immediately gave him another hug.

"I'm right aren't I? The way he looks at you tells me you're more than friends."

"... Looks at me?"

His mum gave a little laugh and yet another hug.

"Yes, looks at you."

Joel wasn't ready for this. His plan with Peter to say nothing and keep things with his mum is they'd always been was gone and she was directly asking him to talk about private stuff. She was hugging him though and she'd said she was happy he'd found someone. Did that mean she'd known for a long time?

"Um... You don't mind?"

"Duffer!"

The special term she'd used all his life made the paralysis of the moment go away while a tear threatened to well.

"Let's take Peter to the old quarry tomorrow and teach him how to catch yabbies? You can try the whistling trick on him and if we catch any we'll cook them up on the campfire."

The whistling trick! Joel hadn't used that on anyone for ages and the thought of the last time when it worked so well on his cousin was enough to start a smile.

***

"If you tell Martin you're dead."

Of course Joel would tell Martin that for a quarter of an hour Peter had whistled every time he pulled his line out in the belief that the high-frequency sound would somehow stop yabbies from abandoning the bait before they could be scooped in the net.

"And you're as bad as Joel. I thought whistling at them was bizarre but when that first line came in with four yabbies on it I thought it must be another Tittyong thing, like that big lizard in the store room, or the row of cockys perched on the back fence."

Joel's mum laughed, picked out the biggest yabby in the bucket, and threw it in Peter's lap.

"There's another Tittybong thing for your memory."

Their campfire was set up under the big gumtree at the edge of the quarry in the same spot that had been used for as long as Joel could remember. Yabbies had been a great fascination when he was a boy and this little campfire and cooking routine was a kind of family tradition. Joel felt really happy because Peter was enjoying everything so much despite insisting he was a city slicker who'd never get used to living in the middle of nowhere.

As expected, the yabby came to Joel next, but he just picked it up for a closer look.

"You must have caught this one, Peter. It has to go back."

"What for?" Is there some kind of Tittybong rule to let the biggest one go?"

"It's a mother. Look."

Joel held the yabby upside down and uncurled the tightly folded tail to reveal a mass of tiny black eggs.

"We always put these back so more yabbies can hatch."

"Hmmm! I suppose so. Hey, that's a Tittybong thing that actually makes sense."

"Idiot!"

Peter burst out laughing because Joel and his mum had both said it in almost the same tone, then he went with Joel to release the yabby in the shallow water at the edge of the dam where they could watch it's frantic dash for freedom.

"Whoo! Look at it go."

When they got back to the log they were using for a seat, Joel's mum was checking the temperature of the big billy of water.

"Not hot enough. It has to be boiling. Joel, I had a phone call from Frank Miles this morning just before we left and his wife saw you in the store yesterday and he wants to know if you can help with his ploughing."

"Mum, Peter's here. Didn't you tell him I can't?"

"Of course I did, but he's got two tractors and he says Peter can drive one as well."

"Me? On a tractor?"

Joel had to grin. The Tittybong saga had just added another chapter.

"Why not? It's easier than driving a car."

"Whistling at yabbies and driving tractors. Martin's going to love this."

"Are you game?"

Peter whacked Joel's arm because he knew he was being wound up.

"Is it worth it?"

"Frank's terrific. He pays well and the longer you work the better he likes it."

Joel explained the conditions and how much they could earn.

"So much? How about we work for three days and leave two for other stuff before we go back."

"You'd really drive a tractor? It's boring after the first hour and he'll want us to drive all day and then on into the dark."

"When would we start and when would we get home?"

"Get there by six in the morning and reach home about 8:30."

"Serious? Does he pay when we stop for lunch or any other breaks?"

"Half rates for midday break but any driving after five o'clock he pays extra."

"This water's boiling. Who's going to put the yabbies in?"

Peter looked horrified but he still watched and then helped with all the shelling and cleaning. Joel squeezed lemon juice over the succulent tail pieces and popped one in his mouth with a murmur of pleasure.

"Mmm! Mmm! Go on. You caught them so you have to eat them."

"Yabby bums! I can't wait to tell Martin what you eat up here."

His eyes widened after the first one though, and then every yabby tail disappeared from his plate.

***

The next day was fun. Despite his great fuss about how barbaric it was getting up at a 5:15 Peter was already awake when the alarm went off, and then he described himself as a country hick when he was fitted out in some of Joel's old work clothes. After a rushed breakfast, a ten minute drive and a friendly welcome, he sat in the tractor seat and listened to Frank's instructions then very carefully backed out of the shed. A confident grin appeared and two tractors headed for the paddock.

***

"You know what? I reckon I could live a Tittybong. There's a lot more happens there then you'd expect."

Joel thought that was funny.

"You were only there a week and a half, and there's hardly anything else left to show you."

"We'll take Martin with us next time and get him whistling at the yabbies."

"Is that a sneaky way to stop me telling him how funny you were?"

"Tell him after he's tried it. It will be double funny then."

Sam's car was gliding along the highway on the way back to College with Peter taking his turn at the wheel. His vow that three twelve-hour days on the tractor was enough driving to last him for a year had only lasted till the trip into Wychyproof the very next day.

That day had been really big for both of them when warning emails arrived with notification that all their first Semester results were available for checking through StudentWeb. They'd both known they'd gone well but having it confirmed and all official was a great feeling. Joel's mum kept hugging Peter for making it happen and it was her orders which had taken them into Wychyproof for a celebratory meal in the dining room of the local pub, and where all the seeming strangers congratulating them on their results had confirmed Peter's view that living in the country was different.

“Your home's great, Joel. Did you ever think of staying there and running the store?”

“I used to when I didn't know what I wanted to do but Mum would kill me if it was more than a few years. She reckons I'm good enough to try other things.”

“Yeah. She's right. I want you to ace the course next Semester.”

Joel's attention on the ploughing pattern in the paddock they were passing disappeared.

“Next Semester?”

The End.

As mentioned in the story note, 'One Semester' is a snapshot of Joel's new life on Campus.
The Semester is now finished and we leave the story but, as with life on campuses across the world, I'm sure the there will be more personal developments, more adventures, and more campus dramas in the new Semester.
Thanks so much for the support from readers of the story and my apologies for the tardiness in the posting of this last chapter - life kind of intervened.
Copyright © 2016 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ahh, I'm somehow not surprised Joel's mum was on to him and the significance of Peter. I wonder whether Joel had already given the game away when talking to her on the phone during the semester, or she realized when she saw them together. Such a great ending to a wonderful story, I'll have to google yabby :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/07/2016 12:30 AM, Timothy M. said:

Ahh, I'm somehow not surprised Joel's mum was on to him and the significance of Peter. I wonder whether Joel had already given the game away when talking to her on the phone during the semester, or she realized when she saw them together. Such a great ending to a wonderful story, I'll have to google yabby :lol:

Thanks again, Timothy. :)

A yabby is like a mini-crayfish which lives in freshwater.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Finished, well the title said it all; One Semester, another fine tale that join equally with your other presentations. I have enjoyed reading this tale although I have to say that it was Sam who I enjoyed following more than Joel or Peter. Thank you very much for sharing and I hope to enjoy another offering in good time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/07/2016 07:23 AM, Dathi said:

Finished, well the title said it all; One Semester, another fine tale that join equally with your other presentations. I have enjoyed reading this tale although I have to say that it was Sam who I enjoyed following more than Joel or Peter. Thank you very much for sharing and I hope to enjoy another offering in good time.

Thanks, Dathi,

That's an interesting take on the characters - I think you have a soft spot for the more vulnerable ones. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/07/2016 08:05 AM, mutch71 said:

Another great story :-)

I'm always looking forward to your next adventure.

Thanks!

:)

There is another story in the works but it hasn't yet progressed far enough for me to make up my mind whether it's postable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/07/2016 12:35 PM, Daddydavek said:

A wonderful adventure!

Thanks, DD.

Lol - I think you like to tackle completed stories more than those in progress?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Here I was going to grouse about the story being over too soon, but you spared
yourself that by indicating there'd be more to come. I am happy to see that Joel's
mom is OK with him having Peter as a boyfriend, and she has a sense of humor
as well. Tittybong and it's people seem to be nice and happy, -just how small town
life can be. I suppose it's boring if you grow up there and you're Joel's age though.
Yes, I too had to look up 'yabby'. We call them crawdads here where I live. People
even farm them nowdays. Most people didn't even eat them when I was growing up.
Things have certainly changed.

 

Thanks again for the delightful story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/07/2016 10:24 PM, Stephen said:

Here I was going to grouse about the story being over too soon, but you spared

yourself that by indicating there'd be more to come. I am happy to see that Joel's

mom is OK with him having Peter as a boyfriend, and she has a sense of humor

as well. Tittybong and it's people seem to be nice and happy, -just how small town

life can be. I suppose it's boring if you grow up there and you're Joel's age though.

Yes, I too had to look up 'yabby'. We call them crawdads here where I live. People

even farm them nowdays. Most people didn't even eat them when I was growing up.

Things have certainly changed.

 

Thanks again for the delightful story.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments Steve. :)

Yes I have left the possibility open for 'Semester Two', but there's a fantasy story I've just started and something for the 'Terran Diaspora' series with a higher priority. lol too many ideas and not enough time to work on them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Fantastic story in the life of Joel during his first semester of college. I love the interaction between all of the characters of the story, especially between Joel, Peter and Martin to start. Then you add Sam, Phillip and Joel’s mom to round out the characters. This was a very laid back story about the young man who is starting college and the first day he’s there with his guide while eating lunch Peter and Martin come out the door hand in hand trying to get a rise out of Joel by acting like a couple of gay guys who are out for a stroll around the campus. Before long Peter and Joel become a couple and have a few adventures with their friends as well as swimming every day then at the end of the semester Peter and Joel go back to Joel's hometown of Tittybong and the 3rd day they're there after do the stocktake of the store that his mom runs she tells him that Peter is great for him. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Butcher56 said:

Fantastic story in the life of Joel during his first semester of college. I love the interaction between all of the characters of the story, especially between Joel, Peter and Martin to start. Then you add Sam, Phillip and Joel’s mom to round out the characters. This was a very laid back story about the young man who is starting college and the first day he’s there with his guide while eating lunch Peter and Martin come out the door hand in hand trying to get a rise out of Joel by acting like a couple of gay guys who are out for a stroll around the campus. Before long Peter and Joel become a couple and have a few adventures with their friends as well as swimming every day then at the end of the semester Peter and Joel go back to Joel's hometown of Tittybong and the 3rd day they're there after do the stocktake of the store that his mom runs she tells him that Peter is great for him. 

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the story and character interactions. :)

I actually lived in a town not too far from Tittybong when I was a teenager, - and the College and IT setting came from a refresher course I was doing at the time I wrote the story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great story, @Palantir

Sad thing about it ending is that my education in the language of Aus has maybe come to an end. Although I did learn the word yabby in this chapter. 😉 (And I suppose I could also check out your stories profile for other Aus based stories...)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm delighted to know you enjoyed the story.

And, yes, a bit more 'language of Aus' does turn up in my other stories. One of my readers of 'Widderkin' featured in the comments with his translations of 'Australianisms'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..