Jump to content
    Puppilull
  • Author
  • 943 Words
  • 1,134 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A rose by any other name - 2. Behind door number two

“Sorry about last night, babe. See you at home tonight.”

Ethan stared at his phone and sighed. Last night had been one of their worst yet. So many harsh and hurtful words spoken, their aim to hit the sore spots they both knew so well after three years together. Looking back, Ethan could hardly remember what set them off. Probably the usual, his out of control jealousy that had flared in the last six months. He knew it wasn’t fair to Darren, but he hadn’t been able to shake the feeling something was going on. Darren denied it over and over again, as usual. Then they went over the deep end and things turned ugly. Mostly Darren, with his vicious jabs that knew exactly how to find Ethan’s insecurities. Being the older, out of shape, nerdy IT-guy bagging the personal trainer ten years his junior did nothing to reduce his fears. Ethan had finally fled to the bedroom, while Darren slept on the couch. His boyfriend had been gone in the morning for an early appointment with a client, leaving Ethan to have breakfast in the depressing company of his guilt.

Passing by a flower shop, Ethan stopped. Maybe buying some flowers would ease his conscience? Smooth things over and give them time to start fresh? Since the gnawing feeling wouldn’t give him any rest, he found it hard to be the one to reach out and ask forgiveness. Although, technically Darren had already said he was sorry. Only via text, but still.

He reached out for the handle, hesitating for a moment but then pushing the door open. Stepping inside, the cloying scent of flowers almost made him turn around, but he took a steadying breath. The warm, moist air filling his lungs did little to make him feel better. Despite the slight nauseated feeling, Ethan decided he had to show Darren just how sorry he was and how much he regretted his outburst. Who didn’t like flowers? Perhaps a weird gift for a 24-year-old guy, but as a gesture, they would do the trick. Then he would follow up with booking tickets for that trip to Japan. Darren had dreamt of going to Tokyo for ages. Sure, his income had been a little scarce lately, since many of his clients had opted to cut costs and get rid of consultants. Somehow, he would find a way to scrape together the funds needed. It would be the just the thing to convince Darren they were meant to be together. If needed, he could always ask his partner for a loan. It would be all right.

A blonde woman, no more than early 20s, sidled up to him. She wore a tell-tale shirt, clearly showing she worked there.

“Can I help you?” Her professional smile set Ethan somewhat at ease. She would know what to buy. After all, she did this for a living. Still he felt sheepish.

“I’m looking for some flowers for my boyfriend.”

“Great! What did you have in mind?”

“Ehum…” Stumped, Ethan looked around. So many flowers. What would Darren like? Would he even appreciate getting flowers? “I’m not sure.”

“Do you want me to suggest something?” The woman tilted her head to one side. “If you tell me a little about your boyfriend, I can put together a fitting bouquet.”

Ethan paused for a moment and then gave her a few specifics. He opted for age, occupation and, for some unclear reason, hair color. She nodded and headed over to a set of large glass doors. Through them, he could see a wide range of various flowers. The colors were vibrant, and he was pleased when the woman selected a bunch of different colored roses.

“I was thinking roses are a classic but putting all these colors together adds a bit of youthfulness and fun. Suitable for a younger man.” She held up the finished bouquet to him. ”What do you think?”

Unsure, Ethan leaned in and smelled the roses. They didn’t have a very distinct scent, more subtly and indistinct green.

“These roses don’t really smell much.” The woman lowered the flowers. “If you don’t like them, I can put together something else.”

“No, they are fine.” With an apologetic smile, Ethan shrugged. “I’m just not used to buying flowers.”

“Oh, OK. Shall I wrap them up for you?”

“Please do.”

While the woman busied herself behind the counter, Ethan stood restlessly tapping his fingers. His eyes wandered over the bits and pieces of paper lying in front of him. A familiar name made him frown. Confused, he picked up the post it. Scribbled across in hurried letters were Darren’s full name and the address to his gym. The note also stated gladiolus, which Ethan identified as a flower but couldn’t quite picture in his mind.

“Today was amazing. I can’t wait to see you again. Leo”

The message was clearly meant for Darren. Leo? Wasn’t that his new client at the gym? The doctor who had bought an extensive set of training sessions, several times a week for months on end? Darren had spoken about him quite a lot, telling Ethan how impressed he was by the doctor’s change of lifestyle. The jotted words left Ethan cold, only to be followed by jealous anger. So, he had been right all along? After slamming the note down on the counter, he headed towards the door.

“Sir! Your flowers!” The woman rushed after him, bouquet in hand.

“I’m sorry. I changed my mind.”

Ethan ignored her disapproving huff and rushed outside. They would definitely continue their fight tonight. And this time, he was calling it quits.

So, two different outcomes from such a simple choice. What do you think?
Copyright © 2018 Puppilull; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Much better - he got the confirmation he needed to kick Darren out and focus on getting his business back on track.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Glads or roses ...  Glads are also known as the Sword lily .. while roses, depending on the colour can mean many things, but reds usually mean love and pink, beauty.  So should we read into what the Sword can also refer to?  Lots of guessing .. and it's easy to guess incorrectly without more information. 

 

I think with the note, the odd hours, Darren 'forgetting things' and maybe the Glads would lead me to believe Ethan's belief about his being unfaithful are correct.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Nicely done. You did a good job fulfilling the challenge! Both stories were well written, with interesting characters and good dialogue. Both stories were a bit sad. It can be hard to read about conflicts in a relationship. I know the old saying "opposites attract," but I wonder what brought Darren and Ethan together in the first place.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Quite different with Ethan’s emphasis on working to get things back on track , flowers and a trip , instead of surrendering to apathy. His subsequent angry reaction is quite justified! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 6/7/2018 at 9:58 PM, Timothy M. said:

Much better - he got the confirmation he needed to kick Darren out and focus on getting his business back on track.

 

Sometimes, you need to get things spelled out for you plainly to take action. You can only lie to yourself for so long. 

 

On 6/7/2018 at 10:25 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Glads or roses ...  Glads are also known as the Sword lily .. while roses, depending on the colour can mean many things, but reds usually mean love and pink, beauty.  So should we read into what the Sword can also refer to?  Lots of guessing .. and it's easy to guess incorrectly without more information. 

 

I think with the note, the odd hours, Darren 'forgetting things' and maybe the Glads would lead me to believe Ethan's belief about his being unfaithful are correct.

 

Oh! The meaning of flowers hadn't even crossed my mind! Interesting. Maybe my subconscious was working here? Or I just named one of the few flowers I actually know...? ;) And I think Ethan is right. Something is very wrong here... 

 

On 6/7/2018 at 10:59 PM, JeffreyL said:

Nicely done. You did a good job fulfilling the challenge! Both stories were well written, with interesting characters and good dialogue. Both stories were a bit sad. It can be hard to read about conflicts in a relationship. I know the old saying "opposites attract," but I wonder what brought Darren and Ethan together in the first place.

 

I'd like to think Darren found Ethan's nerdiness attractive in the beginning, but it could be the money... Not sure. I guess when I read the challenge being about a turningpoint, my mind went to the dramatic. It could have been something sweeter, but I tend to write about conflict (to a varying degree).I just find them more interesting. 

 

On 6/21/2018 at 4:17 PM, deville said:

Quite different with Ethan’s emphasis on working to get things back on track , flowers and a trip , instead of surrendering to apathy. His subsequent angry reaction is quite justified! 

 

That was something I wanted to be the big difference; how Ethan trying to make things better ends up knowing the truth, while his apathy and indecisiveness string them both along for more of this unhealthy relationship. Maybe it's because I really don't like people not taking charge of their lives.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Puppilull said:

. Maybe it's because I really don't like people not taking charge of their lives.

 

Soul mate ! :hug:   I agree completely. I hate Bridget Jones and all her ilk. :puke: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..