Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,459 Words
  • 2,599 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aquaria - 14. Aqu Chapter 14

He has no experience with submarines, but he is happy to do the job, as long as the vessel remains on top or does not submerge more than the height of the submarine” Dad informed me smiling, “Afraid we may sink to the bottom does he?” I said smiling.

“Yes, something like that, anyway, he is from Greece, and he has good English skills, and over forty years of seamanship under his belt, so he should be fine going through the Canal, through the Red Sea and Arabian Sea” my uncle added.

“While you are here, make sure you check out the old fort, it has some very interesting history about it” my Dad commented to me, “I will do that, thanks” I replied. While in Bermuda, the visit of the submarine had attracted a large crowd of media, who were wanting information about inside the giant vessel and what it is like living onboard.

As directed by me before arriving, no crew members of their family were permitted to speak to any of the media, regarding the research submarine, so the media had to make do with photos using telephoto lenses.

After a week in Bermuda, with Jonah Burke as the Captain, we set off once again, with Halifax, Canada as our next destination, with the submarine being the key story around the world. “Huge research submarine visits Bermuda” was one of the main headlines to the regular stories.

“Standing a whopping ten metres above the waterline, this research submarines have been estimated to be 400 metres long, equal in length to the longest container ships in the world, and over 50 metres longer than the longest Naval aircraft carrier, 40 metres longer than the biggest passenger cruise ship, and over double the length of the longest Naval submarine.

It is not known how many decks it has or how many crewmembers that it carries, only that the company - Lloyd Family Corporation, that owns and operates the vessel, will only allow authorised personnel onboard. The crew have been transported from the dockyards into town, and any a person approaches them with questions about the research submarine are ignored”.

I was pleased when I read the article, that no crew member had spoken to any of the media, so that inside information about the submarine remained secret. A day after we left Bermuda, I received a three-page fax from head office, and when I read the cover page, I was not too happy. “Trent, unfortunately our former captain has talked to the media, after he read the newspaper articles about the Aquaria being in Bermuda, I have enclosed a copy of the article, which has gone global, regards your father”

“Former Captain of the Research Submarine – Aquaria reveals all” was the headlines, and I was not looking forward to reading the rest of it, but I did. “Captain Hunter, a former British Naval Submarine commander, was recently the temporary captain of the research submarine, for the 2,680 nautical mile journey from Cape Town, South Africa, to St Helena Island, in the Atlantic Ocean.

Although he will not reveal the reasons for his short stint as Captain of the vessel, he was prepared to reveal some detail about the submarine itself. The RSV Aquaria is 432 metres long, 58 metres wide, with a draft of 12 metres when surfaced and is 22.5 metres high, with a total of 9 decks.

The vessel carries a total of 28 officers, 132 general crew and 22 science research crew, as well as being able to accommodate 42 science cadets, 32 VIP guests, and 112 regular guests.

The vessel has a total of 3 restaurants, separate officer’s dining, a shopping mall, large amounts of lounge and recreation space, including a guest gymnasium, and a separate gym for crew.

The vessel’s cruising speed is 26 knots and can go to a depth of 420 metres below the surface. Captain Hunter said that the Aquaria would be travelling to the UK from Bermuda, then on the Mediterranean Sea”.

After reading the article, I did a little bit of online research, before telephoning head office, “This is Trenton Blackthorn speaking, may I speak to Mr Lloyd please” I asked when a receptionist answered the call, and I was informed that my father was out of the office for half an hour and that he will call me back.

Nearly an hour later and the telephone finally rang, with my father calling. “Hello Dad, I would like to make a recommendation, regarding our travel itinerary, now that Captain Hunter has revealed a lot of information about the Aquaria.

I would like to recommend, that the Science cadets board the sub when we arrive in Halifax, and that from there we continue north and around the top of Canada, to Platinum, on the west coast of Alaska, then over to Yokohama, Japan, then to Singapore or Darwin” I said.

“I agree with you son, let the Captain know of the changes of plans, and continue onto Halifax, I will start making all the arrangements, with the relevant authorities” my father said, “Sorry about not coming over to the Isle of Man, but I think it would be best to spend as little time as possible on land” I added, “No that is fine, I may even fly over to Halifax for a short visit, I will have to wait and see, bye for now” Dad said to me before ending the call.

I made a quick call to the Captain’s office to check he was there, and to let him know I was on my way to see him. “What seems to be the problem?” my uncle asked when I entered his office, “This is the big problem, and as a result of it, some changes have been made, I have already spoken to my father, so he is making all the arrangements” I said as I handed over the fax of the news article.

“I see, so much for keeping the inside information of the vessel a secret, so tell me what the changes are being planned?’ Uncle Jonah said after reading the article. “From Halifax, we are to go around the top of Canada and Alaska, stopping at Platinum, Alaska for a top up of supplies, and a small research project, I will have sorted it by the time we get there, then across to Yokohama, Japan for some crew R & R and from there it will be either to Darwin or Singapore” I announced.

“I see, well I guess I will have to alter my plans also, since I will be needed for a little bit longer” my uncle said to me, “Sorry Uncle, it was decided between Dad and I that we go well away from where the media will be expecting us to be” I responded.

“That is fine, nephew, these plans had to be changed, no fault of yours, so how long do you need in Halifax?” Uncle Jonah said, “I think two days will be enough, so we can be fully restocked for the Arctic journey and crossing over the northern Pacific” I replied.

Eight hours later, just as the sun was setting, we slipped into Halifax harbour, and we berthed at the main passenger terminal, since there are no cruise ships due for another 8 days, firstly we had to go around Georges Island, so we were facing the right way out, which I watched from the deck one observation bridge.

Once we had cleared customs and quarantine, we all headed to bed, apart from the crew that are on watch, who monitored the camera on the main bridge, as well as from the observation bridge. When I woke early in the morning, I headed up to the bridge to see if there was any activity, as the sun had just risen.

“Good morning Mr Blackthorn, what brings you up here so early?’ the watch officer said to me as soon as I entered, “Just having a little look at the camera screens, to see if we have attracted any attention yet” I replied smiling.

“Yes sir, actually, we already have scared the life out of a couple, who were having an early morning wander along the public area of the docks” the officer said to me, which made me laugh.

“I see, well I guess the news will be out shortly in that case, just as well we are in a secure area, where the media can’t get any closer than the security fence. Do you have a radio that picks up the local radio stations?” I asked, “Yes sir, Commander Atkins has one in his office” the watch officer asked just as Dan Atkins walked into the Bridge.

“Talking about me again Lieutenant?” Dan said with a smile, and I chuckled at this. “I was just asking about seeing if we had a radio available to tune into the local radio stations, as this vessel has already scared a couple that were passing by recently” I commented, and Dan quickly raced out of the bridge and returned soon after with his radio in hand.

“…and news that has just come in, there has been an unconfirmed report that the giant research submarine Aquaria, is currently moored at the Halifax Passenger terminal wharf, where the cruise ships are usually berthed. We are sending a reporter down to confirm this report and will give it to you as soon as news comes to hand. Now back to our regular music programme…”

I strolled over to the internal phone and dialled the number for security, “This is Mr Blackthorn, no crew or their families are permitted to leave the vessel, until after an all crew meeting is held in the great hall at 0900 hours, till after that meeting, keep the external doors closed and locked, is that understood?” I said to the security officer who answered the call. “Yes sir, understood, I will have a guard posted at the main entry hall right away” the security guard answered.

Dan and the watch officer – Lieutenant Baker chatted for a while, before Dan took over the watch, so the Lieutenant could get some breakfast, then head to bed to get some sleep. Less than ten minutes later, we saw the first signs of people arriving to check out the submarine, and the crowd grew bigger every minute, which resulted in some police arriving to make sure that order was kept.

When Uncle Jonah arrived on the bridge, he immediately saw the concerned look on my face, “Ok, out with it, what is wrong?” he said to me. Straight to the point eh uncle, I mean Captain” I said to him, and the shocked look on Dan’s face surprised me a little.

“Yes Commander, Mr Blackthorn is my nephew by marriage, my wife is the younger sister of our Managing Director, and I would appreciate it, if you kept it between us” Uncle Jonah said. “Understood and will do sir”. “Captain, I think it is time to make a statement to the media, so as to try and keep any false information being spread around the world” I said to my Uncle.

“Don’t you think your father should be notified about this first?” Uncle Jonah suggested, “No, I think between the two of us we can do it well enough” I replied, “Fine, I will meet you at the Entry foyer in ten minutes” Uncle Jonah replied, and I made my way down to my suite to get better dressed. While in my suite, I called security, and arranged for two security guards with no weapons to meet us at the entry foyer, and escort us down onto the wharf.

Once we had all gathered in the entry foyer, the external door was opened, and the stairs were lowered, to connect up with the lower stairs, that swing out to the wharf, and with one security guard leading, we made our way down the stairs, and onto the wharf, where there was now a very large crowd gathered, and suddenly there was shouts of questions coming from many of those gathered.

Uncle Jonah indicated silence, and eventually the reporters stopped asking questions. “Good morning, my name is Captain Jonah Burke, I am the permanent Captain of the RSV Aquaria, and this is Mr Trenton Blackthorn, the Science Project Director.

As the Captain of this vessel, I can confirm that everything that the former and temporary captain said about the vessel’s statistics are correct, and most of the numbers regarding crew onboard are also correct, but the crew numbers will be increased soon, with additional crew boarding at the next location, which I cannot reveal.

Because of the former Captain’s unauthorised release of information, we were forced to make alternative arrangements regarding where we will be travelling, and that is how we have arrived here. We will be leaving again tomorrow evening” Uncle Jonah said, before indicating for me to say something.

“Good morning, as the Captain stated, I am the Science Project Director, and as a Science research vessel, that is the main purpose of our travels around the world’s oceans, to collect and analyse all the data, and if need be pass on that data to relevant government science departments, so they can take action if it is needed.

We have the most advanced technological equipment available, to assist us with science research in six key areas, those being Marine Biology, Ecology, Oceanography, Botany, Zoology and Meteorology, with some of us having expertise in several areas” I announced to the media.

“What are your qualifications, Mr Blackthorn?” one of the reporters asked, and I looked at the Captain, who nodded his head that it was ok to answer, “I have a number of degrees, which I studied in the Navy, the main ones being Marine Biology and Environmental Law, as well as in Ocean Navigation” I replied, “Which navy were you in and what is your rank?” another reporter asked, and Uncle Jonah stepped forward to answer that question.

“Mr Blackthorn is no longer in the Navy, and he was a junior officer, when he was honourably discharged, that is all for now thank-you, no more questions, good day to you all” Uncle Jonah said, and he put a hand on my shoulder and lead me back to the vessel. Back inside and once the outer door was closed and locked, Uncle Jonah stopped and turned to me.

“Probably a mistake that you mentioned being in the navy, but too late now, hopefully they won’t go poking around too much” he said before walking off, and I headed to one of the cafes to get some breakfast.

Copyright October 2018 All Rights are a Reserved
  • Like 19
  • Love 8
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wonder how Hamysh is going to take the news that Jonah and Trenton held a brief media conference on land stating that the former captain was correct in most of what he said, they did say that they would be changing the crew size at their next stop 🛑 which is classified and can’t be revealed. It was also stated that they had to make some changes to their travel 🧳 plans due to the former captain speaking to the press the way he did. Hopefully they can get the cadets on board quickly so they can get underway again. Great story can’t wait to see what happens next for the Aquaria.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Interesting. Recall in a previous comment  about the ex captain being a thorn in the side it seems to have happened. I wonder if the previous captain signed a non disclosure agreement. If do his butt is going to get burnt. Another excellent chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..