Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,750 Words
  • 2,630 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Journey - 13. DSJ Chapter 13

Once the Star Voyager had docked at Space Station Scorpion, Martin guided the guests through Security & Customs processing, before taking them to their overnight accommodation, which they were surprised at how large they were, and once they were settled, the guests were given a tour of the two centre decks, before heading to the restaurant for some lunch, where about 30% of the permanent crew had gathered for their meal break.

“As you can see ladies and gentlemen, the crew here onboard the space station is very similar to people on Earth, the only difference is that they come from a different solar system, and they are a lot more technologically advanced than Earth by about 50 years or so,” Martin said to the dignitaries, once they were all seated.

“Once you have completed your meals, we will go to the Executive conference centre on Deck one, so you can talk directly to the cadets from your home countries, so you get an idea on what they are doing, once that is completed, we will have a meeting to give you some more information about what the Republic is doing at the moment, and what our future plans are” Quinn added.

After lunch, the dignitaries and their minders were escorted to the conference centre, where they spoke via video link to the cadets at the SRT Academy on Mars, who gladly explained what sort of training they were doing, what life was like living and working in space, and although a lot of them missed home, they were more excited with living and working in space on a permanent basis.

Once the Via link with the academy was completed, almost straight away another group of faces appeared on the screen, “Your Supreme Excellency, and members of the High Council, may I introduce to you…” Martin said starting the introductions of the dignitaries, and the five URP Ambassadors had entered the conference centre by this stage and sat down opposite the 8 men and 4 women VIP guests.

Once the Chancellor had given the VIP guests an introductory information session on his adopted homeworld of Sahndrol, he asked if there were any questions, and it was the Swiss Foreign Minister, who spoke up first, “Firstly let me thank you for this unexpected, but rewarding experience of being in Space and stepping onboard your magnificent space station” he began, and many of the other VIP guests nodded their heads in agreement to what he just said.

“With this being the first step to our four countries being closer, to more regular cooperation with the United Republic of Planets, regarding access to space and advanced technology, could we possibly discuss the chance of having a diplomatic representative from our countries, to be located on one of your facilities,” the Swiss Foreign Minister asked, and the Chancellor smiled.

“Actually, while you were getting processed into the Space station, the High Council and Earth Ambassadors, gathered to discuss this very subject, and we were all in agreement that yes this would be acceptable, with a few conditions” Quinn responded, on behalf of the rest of the High council, as he glanced up at the video screen and saw the Chancellor indicate for him to continue, as was discussed.

“The conditions will be, that each person who is nominated to become an Ambassador, Vice Ambassador, and two Embassy support staff, will undergo the same screening process that was done with the cadets, that are currently training at the academy on Mars, this means a thorough, medical and psychological examination, along with an aptitude test and fitness test, plus a full security and integrity screening,” Quinn said to the VIP guests.

“We currently have the space available to accommodate 4 Embassy staff from each of your four countries, and in your tour of the space station, you would have been shown the Office Suites located on Deck 3, which will be made available as your Embassy offices,” the Chancellor said to the guests.

“Sir, there is one more thing I would like to discuss with you and the High Council, it has come to our attention, that there are plans in progress by the ESA - European Space Agency and NASA to establish a permanent Lunar Base on the Earth’s Moon, and we thought that with SS Scorpion currently orbiting the moon, that he may cause some issues with the United Nations when the Lunar base is established,” the Canadian Foreign Minister asked. “Yes, we are aware of this situation, and we have been discussing it.

At today’s High Council meeting, it was decided that we will relocate the Space Station Scorpion, out of the moon’s orbit, and have it repositioned to a synchronous orbit around Mars, between the two moons of Phobos and Deimos. Since we have one nation of the ESA, and a co-operating member represented here today, we have decided to assist in a small way.

It was decided that the United State of America has pushed its weight around too much over the past 50 years or so, and as such we have decided to give the 22 ESA member countries a small boost, to get ahead of their competition. As long as it is kept quiet, with how it got there, we are prepared to build the First Lunar Base on the Moon, for the 22 ESA member countries.

With this we will build a basic complex, that will consist of accommodation, recreation and work facilities for a total of 264 people, a spaceport to allow for easy access to and from the spacecraft and the lunar base, the complex will consist of all the basic modern facilities, including power generation, water collection and storage, oxygen collection and storage, maintenance facilities, and generally everything that we have here onboard Scorpion.

The number of accommodation places was chosen, so there are 12 people from each member country of the ESA, to make it equally available to each of the member countries, it will be owned and operated entirely by the European Space Agency once it is completed, as a small anonymous gift from the Republic, to show that we are willing to share our access into space, and some of our technology.

We will let the ESA decide if it wishes to allow NASA to share your facilities, at the ESA Luna Base, or you just allow them to build their own Luna base elsewhere on the moon. We only specify that none of our technology is to be shared with any other country, other than the four countries represented here today” Quinn said the VIP guests.

“Your Excellency and members of the High Council, on behalf of the other members present, I wish to thank you for your generous gift to allow us to establish a Luna Base on the moon. We will forward this information to the members of the European Space Agency, to allow them to start planning for having people at the Luna Base once it is completed” the South African President stated, once he had stood up.

“Thank you, Mr President, and we will leave you with your hosts, for the remainder of your stay on Scorpion, enjoy it and good luck with the future,” the Chancellor said and he ended the Video conference. Over the next hour, Martin, Quinn and the URP Ambassadors discussed preliminary plans for the Lunar Base, before being interrupted by one of the administration staff coming rushing into the Conference centre.

“My apologies for the interruption, Senator Lenagan, I have an urgent message from the Chancellor for you,” she said as she handed the note over to Quinn, and leaving. “Video conference now, please arrange visitors to be well away from the Conference centre, Chancellor” the note read, and the doors opened, and Quinn’s wife – Natihya and two sons entered, and when Quinn saw his wife’s confused expression, he knew something was up.

“Err, I am sorry folks, but some urgent business has come up, Ambassador Lenagan, can you please escort the guests back to level two please, and the other ambassadors, can you please wait in the administration centre, till called for, thank-you” Quinn announced. Once the room was nearly empty, with just his wife and sons remaining, they all sat down and Quinn hit the Connection button for the Video Conference, and the Chancellors face appeared.

“Hello my friend, sorry for the sudden interruption, but we have had some news from the homeworld, that you and Natihya need to know,” the Chancellor said to us, and Quinn and his wife looked at each other. “Is this to do with Uncle Kzenoj or my cousin Ploymn?” Natihya asked, “Yes, it is Ma’am it is” the Chancellor replied, and Natihya’s expression suddenly changed, that Quinn noticed, “Dear, do you remember soon after we first met, I mentioned that I am related to the Emperor,” Natihya said to her husband, and Quinn swore in Drol, which caught the attention of their two sons.

“Yes, yes boys, I know your father just swore, but I can understand why he did, but it does not mean that you two can do the same” Natihya said to their sons, before turning back to the screen. “As we speak, there is an express ship coming from the Home World, it left Ganymede yesterday, so it will be with you in two days’ time, Natihya, on that ship will be a platoon of Imperial Guards, to escort you back to the Homeworld” the Chancellor explained.

“What does that mean mother?” Suamyl her youngest son asked, “Oh my goodness, surely not? Natihya said sounding a little shocked, “Not quite Ma’am, “Your Uncle Kzenoj was killed in an explosion that is being investigated, while your cousin – Ploymn was injured, and it will take quite a while for him to recover, in the meantime, you are to take up the position of Imperial Regent until your cousin has fully recovered” the Chancellor stated.

Quinn stood up from his seat, and stepped back away from the conference table and faced his wife, and knelt on one knee, “Your Serene Highness, I am at your service” Quinn said, and although not quite understanding what was happening, the two boys did the same. “Ok my love and boys, that is enough of this, I am only Regent, so there is no need for all the theatrics” Natihya stated, and on the screen, the Chancellor was smiling broadly at what he saw.

Updated
Preston Wigglesworth October 2016 All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 22
  • Love 7
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, I see problems coming down the road...  I do love the idea that the European Space Agency is going to get a boost up and that NASA and anyone else will have to follow there lead, but I can see that causing issues as well...  Can't wait to see where this goes next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Representatives of each of the major powers on Earth should be reminded that, at this time, nobody owns property on the moon and any occupation by a station of an Earth power must be handled in a fashion similar to those occupancies in Antartica, but including areas designated either one for each Earth country or for each member of the UN with no distinction between ordinary members and permanent members. That will rub the cat's fur in the wrong direction!

 

Hey, Q, your grammar shows improvement in just the chapters I have read so far. I hope that signals paying more attention to details, but in any case, it has smoothed out the story-line greatly. Congratulations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..