Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,591 Words
  • 4,248 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Journey - 8. DSJ Chapter 8

After a few calls to Wellington, Martin had the Video link details to speak to the NZ Ambassador to the United Nations, and after making a quick telephone call to his office, requesting a video link conference, Martin and Quinn had the Ambassador on the video screen.

“Your excellency, thank-you for taking this video link conference at such short notice” Martin said once the connection was made, “That is perfectly ok, I have just heard what had happened to you in Hawaii.

If it is alright by you, I would like to speak on your behalf, to the USA Ambassador of the UN to express my disappointment on how you were treated earlier today at Honolulu Airport.

From what I understand, you had been granted by the UN Secretariat, unhindered passage to the UN from New Zealand, which was ignored by the officials at Honolulu Airport” the Ambassador said.

“That is correct sir, and yes, we would appreciate you speaking on our behalf, we have already spoken to our Chancellor, and it is his view, and mine as well as a member of the URJ High Council, that we deal with the USA and UN via Video link and Emails only from this point on,” Quinn said,

“Sir on a number of occasions, while being delayed at Honolulu, we recommended to the two officers that they contact you and also the UN Secretariat, regarding us having a meeting at the UN, and on all of those occasions they ignored our suggestions, which we have a mobile phone recording of.

It was only when our ship, the Star Voyager landed in front of their terminal, did they realise that we were, who we said we were, and handed back our passports and escorted us out to the ship” Martin added. “Ha, ha, ha, I wish could have been there to see that, leave it with me gentlemen, and I will get back to you via email, on what transpires. I will also let the Secretariat know what happened, and that a meeting will have to be arranged by Video link, instead of a personal visit” the NZ Ambassador said and a few moments later the video conference ended.

Quinn decided to remain at Earth Base to see what happens from all of this drama, before returning home to Ganymede, to report back to the High Council, and be with his family. Two days later, Quinn had a video link conference with the High Council of URJ, to discuss options on how to proceed with Diplomatic relations, and setting up diplomatic posts at each main region on Earth, and the High Council decided to proceed with the original plans to set up Diplomatic posts in Japan, Switzerland, South Africa, and Canada.

The following day, Martin and Quinn sat down with the four URJ Ambassadors to discuss the planning and decide which Ambassador was going to which posting. It was during these discussions that a few concerns were brought up, firstly with Japan having a large number of USA defence bases in the country, there was no guarantee of safety and influence of URJ staff by the USA, and the same goes with Vancouver, which is very close to the USA border.

To overcome these issues, it was suggested that Edmonton in Alberta, Canada, be the location of the Embassy in Canada, as it would be over 500 km’s away from the USA border instead of just 40 km’s as it is for Vancouver, and the Asian City to be selected for a URJ Embassy be in Singapore.

Once this was decided, and it was approved by the High Council, Martin contacted the NZ Ambassador for each of those four countries to arrange meetings with the Foreign departments, to discuss establishing an Embassy in those countries. Within a short few weeks, the meeting had been arranged with the Foreign Ministers of the four countries, to be held as secure Airforce bases, to allow for the Star Voyager to land safely at each country.

The first visit would be the closest one, that being Singapore, followed by South Africa, Switzerland, Canada and back to Earth Base. Martin decided to let his son handle this part of the process, taking with him the 4 Ambassadors who will be representing the United Republic of Jupiter. They would fly at 55,000 metres again, so as to avoid all commercial and military aircraft, which fly usually about 4 times less than that.

When it was time to arrive at the destination, they would notify the appropriate Air Traffic controller, then descend straight down and a steady pace, and land were asked to land. When the Star Voyager arrived at its first destination of Singapore, it landed at the Airforce base north of the main Commercial Airport, so as not to disturb commercial air traffic.

Quinn was informed that the Airbase had been locked down, and security was patrolling the outer fence line. Moments after landing, a call came through from the URJ capital, informing Quinn that another fourteen-space craft had arrived in the solar system from Sahndrol, with another 1512 people onboard, including the remaining original crew and their families. Quinn decided to not mention any of this new information, while on Earth, until he has more discussions with the High Council, at a later time.

Quinn was told that colonies will be established on the Uranus Moons of Oberon, and Miranda, making them the furthest colonies for the Republic. Colonies will also be established on Saturn’s Moons of Titan and Rhea, with the remaining space-craft coming to Jupiter to increase the populations at Callisto and Europa.

As a result of this, the Republic will be altering its’ name slightly to the United Republic of Planets. Quinn passed this information onto the Ambassadors, who were a little surprised at the news, but also pleased in a way, as well, and they prepared to leave to ship to start their first meeting.

The four-hour-long meeting ended with an agreement to allow the Republic to establish an Embassy in the city of Singapore, and in return, the United Republic of Planets will begin planning for future trips to space for Scientists, to allow them to explore and research other planets in the solar system, from a much closer distance. After nearly a week of meetings with Foreign Ministers from four countries, Quinn had confirmed agreements to allow for Embassies to be established in those four countries.

The ambassadors had remained at their allocated locations after the meetings, to commence work on locating a suitable and secure location for an Embassy, and getting a long-term lease agreement completed, so the Embassies, can get established as soon as possible. In the meantime, Martin was delaying any video conferences with the USA and UN, until the Embassies have been established in each of the four countries, much to the annoyance of the United Nations.

Once Quinn had returned back to Earth Base, with four Ambassadors now in place, he and his father – Martin, sent an email to the United Nations, to inform them, that they were now ready for a video conference, to discuss any concerns they may have, and later in the day, a Video call came through, and Martin and Quinn were ready for them.

“Good Afternoon, I am Ambassador Martin Lenegan, Ambassador to the United Republic of Jupiter Earth Base near New Zealand, and this is Senator Quinn Lenegan, my son, and a member of the High Council of URJ,” Martin said as he accepted the Video call.

“Hello Gentlemen, this is the United Nations Security Council, with the 5 permanent and 10 non-permanent members present, this is something new and a little unexpected, so firstly could you tell us a little more about your organisation, the United Republic of Jupiter” the chair of the council responded.

“Certainly, I was part of an organisation, known as the Deep Space Research and Exploration Project, that was working on designing and building a deep spacecraft, that would go beyond this solar system, with enough food, air and fuel for three years. The project went a lot better than expected, and I will pass you onto my son, who was a back-up crew member on that mission after three crew members were killed suddenly shortly before the mission commenced” Martin announced.

Over the next fifteen minutes, Quinn gave a description of the journey to the Sahndrol planet, about the discovery of the cargo ship, and spending time on Sahndrol, learning their way of life, learning more advanced technology, and in some cases of crew members, marrying Drol wives, and having children.

“We were given the salvaging rights of the cargo ship that we found adrift, and we made the required repairs and made the necessary upgrades to our original ship, and with so many people wanting to try a new life in a new world, we came back with an extra 7 ships following, and we have established colonies on three moons of Jupiter, and will soon be establishing colonies on two moons of Saturn, and two moons of Uranus.

As a result, we will be adjusting our name to the United Republic of Planets, with the High Council Members and the Chancellor, all elected by the members of the colonies, our capital is located on one of the moons of Jupiter, we will also establish a small colony on Mars, that will be a Space Research and Training Academy for people on Earth, who qualify to train there” Martin announced.

Updated
Preston Wigglesworth October 2016 All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Would Earth leaders demand technology transfers from the returnees? I would like to know if the Sahndrol and Earth human physiology are a genetic match. I also wonder if the UN council would require a special status or classification for the children of Sahndrol and Earth human interbreeding. I noticed that the author changed the spelling for Qjiin in previous chapters to Quinn in this chapter. Which is which? I can foresee a demand for trade in minerals between the USJ and Earth. Food will be something the USJ will need a lot of from Earth. I wonder if the USJ and Earth can establish an equitable pricing system for their products. Lastly, I am wondering if the returnees are amenable to accepting migrants into the USJ. The author has not addressed the issue of the returnees regaining unchallenged earth citizenship. As we say the devil is in the details. Let's just hope this devil is on an opioid drip. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hi B2B

 

Since Quinn is from Earth and he has a Sahndrol wife, and they have two sons, it would be presumed that they do have simular physiology, not sure about the UN special status, since the boys and wife have not stepped onto Earth, as they remain on URP property in Space, all the returnees are NZ citizens, so there shouldn't be a problem with them returning, considering they allowed NZ to be the location for the ship to land  there.

Demand on trade of minerals would something I haven't even tried to look into, as the URP is a separate republic, with all of its territory located in space, food I have not looked into either, but it is mentioned in previous chapters, that each colony would establish its own hydroponic gardens to keep the food supplies going. In regards to people from Earth migrating to the URP, that is something that would be happening in the distant future, although in the story this has started to happen, with cadets from Earth training at the URP academy.

In a few chapters time you will also get and idea of other things happening between the URP and Earth. Keep reading and all will be revealed.

 

Regards Q

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Another good chapter, enjoying the pacing better in the last couple; but as always the writing is first rate.  I do think if you slowed it down a bit and went into more details, the story might be developed more fully, but it is yours so you have to do what is comfortable for you.

 

I still wonder if the deaths of those involved in the original chapter before the launch was something more than an accident.  I would not want to locate any of the embassies to close to the USA, Russia, or China. 

 

Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Quokka your writing is second to none, as a result of your style of writing any reader can get involved in the story by putting themselves in the place of a character. I'm glad that I started reading the story as it is quite a bit different from the others you've written and that way each character is different as well. I think this incident with the ambassadors of the URJ being stopped in Honolulu by customs agents was uncalled for and the customs agents should have made the calls to the United Nations Secretariat, as well as the NZ Ambassador so that the ambassadors trip could have continued without having to call in the Star Voyager to take them back to the Earth Base so that they could speak to the NZ Ambassador and let him know that all future contacts will be via video conference. I hope that the customs agents get into a great big battle for their jobs since they refused the request of the forigen ambassadors to make a couple of calls in order to establish the fact that they thought they knew better than the ambassadors of the URP. 

Link to comment

"They thought they knew better than the ambassadors of the URP", that is such a typical reaction for the personnel of security in the US, it just serves to highlight the ass-hole-ness of ICE and Homeland Security of this country!  ( ICE = U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..