Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,117 Words
  • 2,920 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadows Dancing in the Sun - 8. Shad Chapter 8

“Mainly to block out all traffic noise, but the building also has triple glazing, to also block out the noise. As you can see there is a vehicle entry and a pedestrian entry on this side of the property, and another pedestrian entry on the other side.

All of which require a key card to gain access,” uncle Mitchell said, as he drove down the short drive, which has mature trees on either side, and as the drive bended sharply to the right, it began to go downwards, towards another security gate, leading to below the building.

“Although it is hard to tell, these are two separate buildings, we are going under building two, which is the only one with underground parking spaces for 41 cars, of which two bays are reserved for the penthouse, and 27 are reserved for the 27 accommodation suites, while the remaining 12 parking bays are for the four business suites, with three bays per suite.

Xavier has set up the security access codes, with five levels of access. The cards with a red strip Corporate, for Penthouse and all of level four, plus access to all areas in both buildings. Cards with the orange stripe are for the business suites on level three, with access to the pool and outdoor area on the roof, plus the gym on the ground floor in Building two only.

Cards with a yellow stripe, are for the resident suites on the first and second levels, with access to the pool and outdoor area on the roof, plus the gym on the ground floor, in building two only. Cards with the green stripe are for grounds and maintenance staff, who have access to all level on both buildings except level 4 and the penthouse in building two, and finally the card with a blue stripe is for Education, which is all of building one,” Uncle Mitchell explained as he parked in the reserved parking bay.

“What exactly is in building one?” I asked, “Well it is a fully setup school to put it correctly, it has an administration and staff area on the ground floor, along with the chapel and library. The first floor has the upper level of the library and chapel, plus an orchestra space for the chapel, and also music rehearsal and class rooms.

The second floor has the roof level of the chapel, as I wanted it to have good acoustics, plus 14 lecture rooms and a couple of small rooms, The third floor has just 16 lecture rooms, while the fourth floor has 12 lecture rooms and the lower level of the gymnasium and fitness room, while the roof level has the upper level of the gymnasium and a viewing stand, plus three outdoor shaded areas,” Uncle Mitch explained.

“Wow that is a lot of education space,” I exclaimed. “Yes, it is, but we will look at building one another time, as we will only have time to see building two today,” Uncle Mitch replied, as we walked over to the elevator, and Uncle Mitch handed me a security access card with a red stripe on it. “This is yours, so don’t lose, it and never give it to anyone to borrow,” my uncle said to me, and I nodded my head in understanding, before using his card to open the elevator door.

Once inside, he swiped the card again and selected roof level. Moments later the doors opened into a long corridor, “Welcome to the upper level of the penthouse” my uncle announced, as I walked the length of the corridor and back, taking note of the one door on the right and three on the left.

“As you have noticed, there is one elevator and one stair to each section of the building, both which need access cards to get in and out. The door on the right is the master suite, the centre door on the left is the spiral stairs to the lower level of the penthouse with all the living areas.

The other two doors enter the upper lounge room, and from there is the doors to the other two bedrooms suites, I suggest that you select the one on the right, as it has views of the river,” Uncle Mitch said to me, as I entered the upper lounge and checked out both bedroom suites, and as suggested the one on the right had the better views.

Next, I headed downstairs, with Uncle Mitch following behind, and after checking out all of the living areas of the penthouse, we went out to check the outdoor area, which was quite large, with Uncle Mitchell’s new office space finishing up all of level four of this building.

“Ok, let’s just drive past the other project, which is just over one street block away then we will go and get some dinner,” Uncle Mitch announced, as we headed back downstairs to the underground carpark. A few minute later, we slowed as we approached the next corner, and turned off Fairway and onto Clark Street, where we saw a familiar octagonal shaped single building, that does not have a roof level, so it is a little lower than the others.

“This has got me curious, I need to have a quick look around it and see what is inside,” Uncle Mitch said to me, as we once again drove through a security gate, using the same access card, and this time we took the ground level carpark. In the administration area, we found a directory showing what rooms are on each level.

Apart from the two levels of carpark bays, there is staff offices, admin and the main library, with four levels of lecture and study rooms above. We went up one level to get an idea what the lecture rooms are like, which are spacious, and includes all the required technology for teaching.

“Very impressive, a total of 55 lecture rooms, which would be ideal for the university to use, and the other buildings could be used for other projects. Ok let’s head off and get some dinner,” Uncle Mitch said, heading off to have a nice meal in a small restaurant, not really taking any notice of the large patch of cleared land, where five apartment blocks and a house recently stood.

“When will we be moving into the penthouse, and will we be taking the baby grand with us?” I asked during dinner, “next weekend, so we won’t interfere with your hockey academy commitments, and you will have to start helping me with the packing, after school each day, we will have a removalist company do all the actual physical work for us,” and yes we will be taking the piano with us, and I think we will make the south facing lunge the spot to put it,” Uncle Mitch replied.

“Just as I was getting used to living in this place, we are moving. Shame as the gardens are really nice and so is the pool,” I commented. “Yes, it is, and that is why I am not going to sell it, instead I am going to make it into a bed and breakfast accommodation, so other people can enjoy the gardens and the house,” Uncle Mitch announced.

Two days later while having lunch in our favourite spot, I received a text message from Uncle Mitch. “I am at the school, having a meeting with the School Council, my car is in the lower seniors carpark, meet you there at the end of school day,” and I sent a return text saying ok, confused and wondering what Uncle Mitch was doing meeting with the school Council.

When I arrived at the carpark, Uncle Mitch was waiting for me, “Hop in quick, we have to be somewhere in half an hour,” Uncle Mitch said to me when I arrived, and we were soon on our way towards the city. “Are we going to our new home?” I asked, once we had set off. “Yes, but I have a meeting with the School Council at 4 pm. I have put a proposal to them of establishing a 2nd campus for the school, with building one of the Stirling complex as I call it, in mind for their use,” Uncle Mitch said to me.

“Wow, that would be interesting, would it be just senior school?” I replied, “I have suggested just years 11 & 12 students, who have plans to continue on with a University education, after graduating, Uncle Mitch replied. “That sounds great, when will it take place if they agree with the idea?” I replied, “Hopefully at the start of next year,” Uncle Mitch answered.

When we arrived, two other vehicles were already lined up at the gate, so I jumped out of the car to swipe my card, to open the gate, “Press the lock open button, and the gate will remain open,” Uncle Mitch called out to me from the vehicle, and I did as he said, as the first vehicles passed me, with Uncle Mitch and three other cars following.

I was a little surprised to see that the headmaster and his wife had come along with the six School Council members, when I walked down to the undercover carpark. Right, we will get on with the tour, since there is lots to see,” Uncle Mitch said as he led the way to the elevator, in building one, which is set back from the highway more than building two.

“Apart from the 21-bay carpark, the basement level has an archives and storage rooms, as well as our own power station, a backup power generator, a water treatment plant, a water pump room and fresh water storage tanks. Parts of the north and western sides of the building have solar power panels, and the building is run entirely on its own power supply, but is connected up to the backup generator just in case, and fresh water is brought into the building every day, to keep the water fresh.

This property, as you saw has high walls to reduce traffic noise as well as security, with the road gate and the two pedestrian gates all requiring a security pass key to gain access to the property, as well as the main entry points into the building. As we arrive on the ground floor, you will see a layout plan on the wall, which shows you that the building actually consists of 4 octagonal buildings, that are linked together.

The area we have entered is the staff zone, consisting of nine department offices, a staff lounge and bathrooms. Follow me and we will go into the front of the building, that contains the administration area, with a reception foyer, reception office, a principal and deputy principal offices, two extra offices and a work office.

As we walk through the small courtyard, which is open to the elements, but has some netting over the space on levels 1, 3 and the roof, which helps to keep the rain do a light sprinkle by the time it reaches the courtyard floor in most cases. As we enter this part of the building, we arrive at the main library, and although there are no books yet, as you have seen so far, the building is already fully furnished, and the upper level of the library can only be accessed from in here.

There are a set of stairs and elevator in each of the four sections of the building providing access to all levels, with the library archives located directly below the library. As we return to the courtyard, we will now go to the what I regard as the best part of the building,” Uncle Mitch said as he guided the visitors around, and as he opened the double doors there were gasps of surprise, as Uncle Mitch smiled.

“Wow, this is awesome, Uncle Mitch,” I said, as I glance upwards towards the roof two levels up. “Indeed, it is Master Tobias, do you want to give us an example of what the acoustics are like?” the headmaster responded. “If I must sir,” I replied, as I walked deeper into the chapel, which has plenty of seats for about a hundred people.

“She is not consecrated yet, but I hope that will happen soon,” Uncle Mitch said as I walked towards the impressive alter, before turning around to face the visitors who still stood at the door, and I began to sing Ave Maria in Acapella, stopping at the end of the first verse.

“Wow… your nephew has a most beautiful and magnificent voice,” the only female member of the council said, which I heard.

Copyright January 2020 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 35
  • Love 14
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A great chapter. Whilst Tobias and his Uncle Mitchell have to move to the new penthouse it will not affect Tobias commitment to the Hockey Academy. It looks like that years 11 and 12 of Tobias School might be forming a second campus at the new school that is built on Mitchell property, this would be good news for Tobias as he wouldn't have far to travel to school.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

What an excellent story, hope Tobias will somehow show his stepfather who owns the house where his living in after kicking out Tobias in his inherited family house.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

First, if the big ol' pile they're already living in is OK for 3 people, I see no reason for Uncle Mitchell to feel, quite suddenly, that it is too large for two (in fact, Xavier and Mitchell bought the place for only two people to begin with).  Second, even if Mitchell decided to turn the place into a bed and breakfast, he could have elected to keep a suite of rooms for Tobias and himself, though admittedly they'll get more privacy by switching to the penthouse. (Mitchell may no longer want to live in a mansion with beautiful gardens, but I'm more than willing to take his place! 😂)

Of course, if school is downstairs, Tobias won't have to travel very far to get there (which he may appreciate--or not! 😂😂😂).

Edited by travlbug
  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..