Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,065 Words
  • 2,980 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadows Dancing in the Sun - 9. Shad Chapter 9

“That he has, and when he and Kyle sang at the school chapel last Sunday, it was just as magnificent there too,” Uncle Mitch replied, which made me blush a bit. “As you can see, the chapel has been built to cover three levels, so as to get reasonably good acoustics, which I am pleased with how it is, as Tobias singing just now, was the first test to see how it is,” Uncle Mitch said to the visitors, as he lead them back outside, and into the elevator to the first floor.

“Right, on this level we have two sections that are dedicated as music rooms, with three rehearsal rooms, and two large music classrooms. Now follow me please… As I mentioned before the upper level of the library can only be accessed from the ground level of the library, so that only leave this…” Uncle Mitch said, before opening the door that leads into the upper level of the chapel.

As you can see, this is slightly smaller than the main level, so as to allow space for an orchestra on both sides, plus there is the small balcony seating area, for up to twelve guests. Apart from the roof level of the chapel, the next two levels are identical, with lecture rooms, so we will head up to level four, which has some lecture rooms, the gymnasium and a fitness room,” Uncle Mitch said, as he led the way.

“As you can see the gymnasium has an upper level, with a spectator seating area, now let’s go and see the lecture rooms,” Uncle Mitch said, and he motioned for me to come to him. “Can you head downstairs, and go to the gate, a delivery of Subway sandwich platters will be arriving, for our dinner, here is the money to pay for it.

When you have it, bring it up to the roof level, where we will be,” Uncle Mitch said to me, and I headed for the stairs and dashed all the way down to the ground level. “Do you have a dining area, Mr Garrison? One of the council members asked. “Funny you should ask that, yes we do in a way, it is called the roof top café, and is on the next level up, Tobias is just retrieving the refreshments that I have ordered, which he will bring up to us shortly,” Mitchell said as he led the way into one of the lecture rooms.

“They are a lot bigger than I expected, which is good to see, and I see you are keeping to the shapes theme with the student tables,” the council chairman said. “Yes sir, the lecture rooms have four different kind of layouts. This one for group classes, as you can see, with this section having three classrooms of this layout, each lecture room has 8 tables of 4 students, so they all have plenty of space to work.

The other layouts are the typical lecture layout of all seats facing the front, the other is with seats facing the centre from three sides, and finally the work layout, where benches have seating for three, which I will show you, are next door, Mitchell announced. After a look at another lecture room with a different layout, Mitchell turned to face the visitors. “Now, let’s go to the fifth and roof levels, which has a few little surprises,” Mitchell said as they headed for the elevators once more.

Stepping out of the elevator, they entered a passageway that splits into two directions. “Here we have a total of 8 large guest suites, each with their two bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, a study, a lounge and kitchenette,” Mitchell said to the visitors

After looking at one of the suites, they headed to the roof level, where they were surprised to see that they were in an open courtyard, covering the whole space of one section of the building, with shade sails above, and very high safety netting all the way around. “Well I definitely didn’t expect this,” one of the council members stated, and Mitchell smiled.

“There is another one identical directly across from here, with the upper level of the gymnasium and the viewing seating to your right, but we will head indoors to the café, this way,” Mitchell said, and when he opened the door, he saw me busily setting out the platters, on the servery bench of the kitchen, and I managed to find an electric kettle to boil some water, plus some small plates, cups and saucers, and surprisingly also some coffee, tea and sugar.

“If you are wondering, I came by earlier to drop off some supplies, there should also be some napkins, plus a jug of water in the fridge,” Uncle Mitch said to me in a loud whisper, and I nodded and got to work. “While Tobias is setting up our meal, feel free to look around this café or the other areas on this level,” Uncle Mitch announced to the visitors.

Once we had all sat down to enjoy the sandwich platters, having served tea and coffee to the visitors, there was some light chatter amongst the visitors. “This is an amazing building Uncle, you did an awesome job of designing it,” I said to my uncle, “Thanks mate, I am pleased with the final outcome,” Uncle Mitch replied.

“So that is why you know the building so well, because you designed it?” the Council chairman asked, “That is correct sir, I designed it for a development company that I have worked with on a number of projects, of which another one is located just down the street, “ Uncle Mitch replied.

“What about the building next door, is that the same as this one?” another council member asked. “No sir, it is a business and residential building, of which the fourth-floor penthouse will soon be our home,” Uncle Mitch replied. “Before we get side tracked, I want to ask you Mr Garrison, earlier today you came to us with a proposal of a space that may be suitable for a second campus, that would be suitable for our year 11 & 12 students.

After this tour I am a lot more positive with the proposal, as you have everything here that would make it possible, but what I really want to know is what is the cost, how much will the school have to pay to use this building,” the council chairman asked my uncle. “That is very simple sir, $364,” Uncle Mitchell replied.

“What? 364 hundred or 364 thousand, and is that per calendar month?” the female council member asked, “No Ma’am, that is 364 dollars per calendar year. The school pays for all gas and water, and town council rates, and as I mentioned before the building is virtually self-sufficient in regards to power, that is all,” Uncle Mitch replied.

“Wow, that is a very generous deal, are you sure you can afford to be this generous?” the headmaster asked, “Yes Headmaster, and Council members, I am a skilled and successful architect, and these buildings are part of a separation settlement with my ex- partner, it is what I want to do, so the building gets good use of it,” Uncle Mitch replied.

“Well, if I had a vote, I would say yes, take the offer,” the headmaster said, which had the council chairman smile, I second that,” one of the other council members said, and immediately all of the remaining council members agreed to accept the offer.

“Well it seems, that we don’t need to sit down and discuss it, so on behalf of the school council and the school we happily accept your offer Mr Garrison,” the Council Chairman responded.

“Now what about this other building, can we go and take a look after this delicious meal,” one of the council members asked, and the others all nodded their heads in agreement, “Yes, that is fine by me”, Uncle Mitch replied. “Can you give us some more information about this other building?” the headmaster asked.

“Yes, certainly, the lower level is pretty much identical, with power and water etc, with two sections being carpark bays for 41 vehicles, with two of those bays reserved for the penthouse, which takes up all of the fourth floor, and one section of the roof level, which has a swimming pool and two shaded outdoor spaces.

The third floor as four business suites, which are available for lease soon, with each one having its own meeting and conference room, kitchen, bathrooms, three offices and an entry foyer. The second and first floors are almost identical, with the second floor having 2-one-bedroom suites and 26 bedsits, which have a small kitchenette and compact bathroom.

The first floor has 2-one-bedroom suites and 24 bedsits, plus a recreation lounge, and a small private lounge. All seven sections of the accommodation, also have a resident’s lounge in the centre of the building. Finally, on the ground floor, there is a large fitness gymnasium, a yoga room, plus 4 additional lecture rooms and one large & empty Multi-purpose room,” Uncle Mitch said.

“Mr Garrison, would the bedsits be suitable for senior student accommodation?” the headmaster asked, “Yes sir, I think they would, I originally designed it so they are suitable for university students to live in, but that can also be the same for senior students.

As I mentioned there are two suites on each level, that would be suitable for supervising adults,” Uncle Mitch replied. “I have an idea on how this could be planned out, but give me a few days to work on it, and I will present my idea to the council,” the headmaster said.

“I think we better inspect this other building, as it may be ideal for accommodating senior students,” the council chairman suggested, and the other council members agreed. “I must stress, that all of the fourth floor is off limits, and after sunset, and before sunrise, the roof outdoor areas on both buildings are also off limits,” Uncle Mitch announced.

“Any reason for those restrictions on the roof level?” the headmaster asked, “Let’s just call it the Owner’s Health and Safety regulations, to avoid any accidental or on purpose falls over the nets, and down to the ground with a splat,” Uncle Mitch responded. “So that is the reason for the netting over the central courtyard?’ the female member of the council asked.

“Yes, Ma’am, that is exactly what that is for, heavy duty netting that can withstand large amounts of weight and can withstand harsh weather,” Uncle Mitch replied.

While they were doing the tour of the second building, I went directly up to the penthouse, to have a more detailed look at my new home, and the more time I spent there, the more I liked it.

About twenty minutes later, I received a text from Uncle Mitch, “” Where are you?” and I smiled as I typed a reply. “In our new home.” “Ok, stay there, I will come back there, once I have seen the visitors of the property,” came another message, and I just sent a ‘Thumbs up’ icon.

When Uncle Mitch returned, I was in the semi-outdoor area. “This place could do with some greenery, can we get some large potted trees and shrubs to brighten up the place a bit,” I commented. “Yes, that would be a good idea, I was not sure what to do with this space so I left it bare, apart from the three privacy screens and the store room,” Uncle Mitch replied.

“I see that the penthouse is already fully furnished and decorated, who did that?” I asked, “I think Xavier had a professional decorator come in and decide what furniture and decor is needed in each room in both buildings, and I think she or he, did a great job of it,” Uncle Mitch responded, “I do too,” I said smiling.

“I think, that apart from a few smaller personal items, the ret can stay at the main house, so it doesn’t look like a bare holiday home, and it will mean a lot less work for both of us. I feel sorry for the removalists, they have to find a way to get the piano into the music room on the third floor of the penthouse,” Uncle Mitch said.

Copyright January 2020 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 29
  • Love 17
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Excellent chapter, it seems that Tobias will not have to walk very far to get school, interesting times ahead

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Excellent chapter. A great new campus for year 11 and 12 students and a boarding hall for the senior students of Tobias's school. Tobias and Mitchell seem happy with the new penthouse. Not far for Tobias to walk to school. Interesting times ahead.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I love Quokka's chapters that include a guided tour--I always feel like I'm there!

And I'm glad that Mitchell didn't forget the piano! (When I inherited the family baby grand, I used a special moving company dedicated solely to the transport of pianos.)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..