Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,435 Words
  • 3,089 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Firestorm - 35. FS Chapter 35

“I have been informed that you completed Canadian Fire Service training at top of the class” the Colonel said to me, “Yes sir, that is correct, they have a few interesting training methods, especially with forestry wildfires, which are common in the summer months” I replied. “Shame you didn’t get to put that training into experience, but I am aware of what happened in Fort Nelson, and I don’t blame you, I saw the video footage you took” the Colonel said which surprised me a little.

My face must have shown the look of surprise as the Colonel chuckled, then indicated me to take a seat, and we talked about how the family is, and how the training experience in North Yorkshire went. “I hear you gave some of your men a lesson on Australian slang at one point” the Colonel said to me with a straight face, “Oh, err yes sir, I sort of lost my cool with one of the privates, and the Colonel at the base got wind of it” I replied, and the Colonel began to softly laugh.

“Yes, and I heard what the colonel did afterwards too, which can’t have been much help” Colonel Harding said with a big smile, “No sir, the cheeky galahs quickly learnt some Aussie slang, and were using it a lot when not on parade, or in training, they gave me a full company rendition of Waltzing Matilda at my send off, and the colonel had young Tom, who is an honorary cadet, to present my latest award, and dismiss me from my training duties at Catterick Base” I replied.

Colonel Harding smiled, “I guess from that smile you had some input into that too?” I asked, and the Colonel just laughed, and all I could do was sit there and wait. “Ok, now Mitchell, here are your new orders, you are staying here in Perth, and you are to do a one-year part time assignment, as a fire fighter, with the Western Australian Fire and Emergency Services Authority. You will do four 12-hour shifts with FESA, and one day here at this base, doing administration duties.

When you have finished that, you can choose to either leave the Army, and continue with the Fire Service, or you can have a choice of assignments, but you can decide that close to the end of your assignment” Colonel Harding said, as he handed me the official orders. “Thank-you sir, I will discuss it with my wife and let you know” I said as I stood up and snapped to attention, before leaving the office.

At the reception office, I opened the orders, which instructed me to report to Fire & Emergency Services Headquarters at 0900 the following morning. “Excuse me Warrant Officer, the Colonel has allocated you an office in this building, if you follow me” the soldier at reception informed me, and I followed the soldier down the other passageway, and we passed through an office door with my name on it.

I thanked the Corporal, who left me to get settled. As I sat behind the desk, which had a number of files on it and a computer, I looked around the office which has a second chair and a filing cabinet, I opened the first file on the pile and saw that it was a review of the training sessions at Bindoon, the first dated a few weeks after I flew to the UK. Finding a writing pad in the desk drawer, I made some notes on the first review, before going onto the next review, dated three months later.

By lunch time, I had completed about twelve pages of notes on a total of eight training reviews, and I headed to the canteen to get some lunch. “How are the reviews going?” the Colonel said from behind me, making me jump a little. “Good sir, I have made quite a few notes, I just need to get it typed up on the computer” I responded. “That’s good, just do a little bit each day you are here, and a monthly report would be welcome” the Colonel replied, “Very good Sir, I will get onto it” I answered.

After lunch, I returned to my work, transferring my notes into a report on the first eight reviews, finishing it just before the end of the working day, and I arrived home happy to see Angela smiling, and Simeon was playing on the lounge room floor. “Hello dear, how was your day?” Angela said when she saw me enter via the back door.

“Good, I think we need to unlock that front gate so we can get direct access to the house” I commented, as I leaned down and gave Angela a kiss. “Can we leave it for a little while longer please, I don’t think I am quite ready for that yet” Angela replied, “Ok, where is Tom?” I replied, I dropped him off at his new school, so he can get used to the surrounds, he will catch a bus home when he is done” Angela said to me.

I was a little surprised by allowing Tom so much freedom, after everything that we had gone through, just over two years ago, and I think Angela noticed this, “He will be fine, he has his new phone with him, so we can keep in touch, he should be home shortly, as I said no later than 4.30” Angela added. I picked up Simeon and gave him a kiss on the cheek and a hug, “Dadda” he said with a big smile, and I hugged him again, before returning him to his toys.

“He said Mama for the first time today, and he pulled himself up onto his feet today, hanging onto the couch or my dress” Angela said to me, “That is wonderful news, our little boy is growing so fast” I replied, “Yes and we will have another one in about 7 months’ time” Angela said to me, and it took me a moment to realise what she had just said, “Oh that is wonderful news too, when did you find out?” I replied as I sat down next to Angela and gave her a big hug.

“I had a doctor’s appointment this morning, while Aunty Jean looked after the boys. I have suspected for a few days, once I had recovered from the jetlag” Angela said. “Does Tom know yet?” I asked, “Does Tom know what Dad?” Tom said as he walked into the lounge room, Angela put her hand on her stomach and smiled. “No way, another baby? You guys are worse than rabbits” Tom said when he understood his mothers’ actions, and we all laughed at his comment. “We are not having any rabbits around here” Aunty Jean said as she walked in with a freshly baked cake, and we all started laughing again.

Poor Aunty Jean had no idea why we were laughing, and as she placed the cake on the table and turned to face us and seeing Angela’s hand on her stomach, she finally caught on. “Oh, Angela dear, that is wonderful, congratulations, now what was that comment about rabbits for?” Aunty Jean said, and I had to explain Tom’s comment, and she blushed a little when she realised that she had misunderstood the comment, causing all of us to laugh again.

I stood up and retrieved some small plates, spoons and a knife, and I cut some pieces of cake and handed them out to everyone, including Simeon, who used his hands to break a small piece off the slice and shove it into his mouth. I went to the kitchen to grab a wash cloth and the dustpan and brush, to clean up the mess that was about to happen, and when I returned there was cake crumbs all around him, and Simeon had a huge smile on his face.

“So, what is your new assignment? Aunty Jean asked me as I proceeded to clean up the mess, “I am working one day a week at the base with my own office, reviewing training sessions held at Bindoon, over the two years that I was away, I have to present a monthly report on the reviews that I have assessed and made recommendations on” I replied, “And the rest of the time?” Angela asked, “I work 12-hour shifts for four days with FESA, as a station based fireman, for a period of one year, then I can either resign from the Army, continue working for FESA or continue with the Army” I replied.

“What did you say to the Colonel?” Angela asked me, “I told him, I needed to discuss it with my wife, and I would get back to him with a decision” I replied with a smile, which made Angela smile too. Three weeks later, Tom started school at the local Grammar school, and I had settled into a routine at Campbell Barracks and at the Mundaring Fire Station, which is a good one hours drive east, from home, in the far Eastern outskirts of Perth’s suburbs.

With it still being summer time, our station was dealing with a number of bush fires in the region, most of them deliberately lit, with some caused by dry lightning storms, and it was similar to what I was trained for, on wildfires back in British Columbia, Canada. Aunty Jean took over cooking duties for the family, to take the stress off Angela, as the pregnancy progressed, and on the Thursdays, I was at the Army Base I made an effort to get home early.

At the fire station, my shift days were Friday and Saturday, plus Tuesday and Wednesday, so my two days off were Monday and Sunday each week, when I would spend time with my son’s, and helping Angela around the house, so she could rest as much as possible. When the time came, when Angela started to go into labour, it was a very early on Thursday morning, and leaving the boys asleep in their beds, Aunty Jean came over to mind them, while I drove Angela to the hospital.

This time, Angela allowed me to be present for the birth of our daughter, Belinda Jean Benning, who was a very healthy baby, and she let out the loudest cry I had ever heard. “She takes after her daddy” Angela commented with a smile, and I chuckled at this comment. For a year, I worked hard at my new job, with the fire service, learning a lot each week that passed. In late October, as I neared my twelve-month term with the fire service, when I arrived at the Army base at the start of the week I was summoned to the Colonel’s office.

“Warrant Officer Benning reporting as requested sir” I said after knocking on the CO’s half open door, “Come in Benning and sit down, we need to have a chat” the CO said to me as I entered and sat down. “How is Angela and the family?” the Colonel asked me, “All very well sir, Tom, is growing up very fast, he is doing very well at Grammar school, in both studies and sports, plus he is a sergeant in the school’s Army cadets programme” I replied.

“I can see he is going to get very far, just like his dad” the colonel said with a big smile, “Yes sir, he has informed Angela and I that he wants to join the Australian Army, and be a sniper like me” I replied. “Right, now you are just a few weeks away from completing your one-year contract with the Fire Service, have you and Angela made a decision, on what you want to do?” the colonel asked me.

“Yes sir, we have discussed it at great length, and made a decision, and we decided no more exchange programmes to Canada, and I would like to remain in the Army sir” I replied with a smile. “That is what I was hoping your decision would be. Now I have had a special request recently, apparently you did such a good job at Catterick, North Yorkshire, Major Phillips there, wants you back, and he is offering a five-year contract, starting just after New Year, upgraded accommodation and your own vehicle to use at work and home” the colonel informed me.

“Holy Cow, now that was something I didn’t expect, can I call Angela and ask you to repeat what you just said please sir” I said, and the colonel chuckled and nodded his head yes, and I pulled out my phone and dialled the home number, on loud speaker. “Hi love, it is me, the colonel has something to tell you” I said, as soon as she answered. “Ok, I am listening” Angela responded, and I looked to the colonel, and he repeated what he had said a few moments earlier.

“Holy Cow, well I have no problem with returning to the UK, I enjoyed our time there” Angela responded, “Ok love, I will talk to you later, bye” I said and I ended the call. “Right, I will inform Major Phillips, via email, that you and your family have agreed to return to Catterick after New Year, and he will make all of your travel arrangements” the Colonel said, “don’t forget to inform him that there are now three children, Sir” I stated.

“Yes Mitchell, the Major is aware of your expanded family, he is organising a four-bedroom house for you outside of the base” the colonel replied with a smile, “Awesome, thanks sir” I replied, so what happens between the end of the current jobs and just after New Year’s?” I asked.
“You will be here on a full-time basis for those 2 ½ months, putting together a training programme that can be used by all sections of the Army, from the cadets up to the SAS” the colonel informed me, “That sounds good sir, will that include me spending time at Bindoon, as part of that?” I asked, “Yes, I expect you to put all resources available to you, to good use” the colonel said to me, and I smiled.

After my last day with the fire service, I had my usual Sunday off, before beginning full time back at the Army base in Perth, and Angela was pleased that I was no longer doing twelve hour shifts up at Mundaring. As spring ended and summer arrived in Western Australia, the news that it was going to be a hotter season this year, I was not too pleased about, so I made a point of ensuring that two Army fire trucks were kept at Bindoon, at all times through Summer, as a precaution.

My parents had been keeping in touch with me and Aunty Jean, since we had come back from Canada, and they had informed me that a lot of the locals that I went to school with in town, were now heavily involved in the community, either as shire councillors, or community volunteers for the bush fire brigade and ambulance service and other community organisations, and that there was still talk about me having left leaving town suddenly, when my former best friend called me a poofter, in public, just over five years ago.

It was on a Friday afternoon, in mid-December, just over a week until Christmas, when I decided to go and visit my parents on their small property on the edge of my home town, since it was only a 45 minute drive from the Army base, so after finishing some paperwork, I sent email to the Colonel, to inform him that I was heading over to my home town to visit my folks, and giving Angela a call, to let her know that I would be home late the next day, when I jumped into the Army jeep, and headed east, just as the sun was setting.

I could hear the rumble of thunder in the distance as I drove, and soon saw flashes of lightning to the east, and I just hoped that it would not cause any fires, as it was very dry at the moment, after very little rain during late Spring. When I was just fifteen minutes away from town, I saw my first sign of trouble, and I pulled over to the side, to make some calls, firstly to the Bindoon training facility.

“Corporal, this is Warrant Officer Benning, there is a bushfire just east of my home town, make sure both fire trucks and kitted up and get them over here right away, I will clear things with the Colonel” I said as soon as the call was answered, “Yes Sir, right away” the corporal said and he ended the call. Next, I called the colonel. “Sir, there is a fire caused by lightning, looks like to be just east of my home town, I have the two Bindoon fire trucks on their way, can you notify the local council, and you better let my former boss at FESA know as well, I will coordinate things, till he gets someone else to take over” I said.

“Very well Benning, you have my authority to take command of the situation, if the local council doesn’t want to listen, get them to call me” the colonel said and he ended the call, and I quickly continued the journey, before using the car system to call my parents. “Hello dear, dinner is almost ready, when will you be here” Mum said when I said hello.

‘Forget dinner mum, you have a fire emergency in the district, I have notified my boss who will let the local council and bush fire brigade know. You and dad pack as much of your belongings as you can, and get them into your car, I am about ten minutes out of town, so I will help you, put the dinner in some containers, and we will eat it when we are safely away from danger” I said to my mum, “Oh, ok dear, Dad just heard everything, so he is heading to the garage to start up the water pumps, to soak the property down, I will get packing right away, bye” Mum said and the line went dead.

When I arrived in town and saw no activity around anywhere, I went directly to the fire station, and hit the emergency alarm, which roared to life, and within five minutes, nearly half a dozen men arrived, of which my former friend Dave was one of them. “Did you set off the siren, that is illegal you know, and what are you doing back in town, we don’t like people like you around here” Dave snapped at me, “Use your eyes and nose, your stupid moron” I snapped back at him, as I pointed eastwards, where a glow was easily visible from the fire.

“Oh hell, well spotted young man, ok lads, let’s get to work” the older man I knew to be the shire president said, and he gave me a quick small smile, and all the men dashed into the shed, to get the two fire units ready, and I turned to the Shire President. “Sir, I believe you know who I am, in the time that I have been absent from my home town, I have joined the Army, and I currently have the rank of Warrant Officer, as you can see from my shoulder” I said remembering that I was still in Army fatigue uniform, which I don’t think anyone else noticed.

I have also spent some time, training as a fire fighter in the Canadian forest wilderness, and the past twelve months working for FESA at Mundaring, where I was involved in fighting those bushfires in the hills last year. I have two Army fire trucks on their way from the Bindoon Training base, my Commanding officer has ordered that I take control until FESA decides who is to take over, when they arrive” I announced.

“From what you say, I feel you are the right person for the job, but we both know what the attitude is of the majority of the community is regarding your orientation, not that I agree with their views, so you may be totally ignored” the Shire president said to me in response, and I decided to speak a little louder, for all to hear. “Well sir, you can tell those ignorant bastards, that what my orientation is, has nothing to do with the safety of this town and its people.

Copyright July 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Reserved
  • Like 28
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

B)...............Well said W.O. Benning! So we know now what I suspected either Dave mistook his actions 5 years ago, or Benning is bi-sexual or gay, or Dave was flat out lying. The problem is that his family sent him away immediately, so guilty as charged would seem to be the case. (He cannot come clean if he wants to stay in the Army) But the real problem for the town is if they don't listen to W.O. Benning, as foretasted by the Shire President the town can burn to the ground and if Benning saves the town he is a hero, and his sexual orientation is a mute point. His having a family will weigh heavily in his favor,. Yet even with that 'escape' route, he will have to face the truth as it will eventually catch up to him. (I ought to know). 

Great revealing chapter!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Working four twelve hour shifts four days a week with a total two-hour commute would have been rough, especially with split off days. I think Angela not being aware she was pregnant until seven months in is fairly unbelievable for someone who has already had two children. She missed multiple menstrual cycles and should have been showing before that time.  Mea culpa.  

 

 We've all been waiting for Mitch to be able to show his hometown what he is made of and this fire is the opportunity. I see his former best friend is still as rotten as ever. This is already getting good.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Working four twelve hour shifts four days a week with a total two-hour commute would have been rough, especially with split off days. I think Angela not being aware she was pregnant until seven months in is fairly unbelievable for someone who has already had two children. She missed multiple menstrual cycles and should have been showing before that time.

 

 We've all been waiting for Mitch to be able to show his hometown what he is made of and this fire is the opportunity. I see his former best friend is still as rotten as ever. This is already getting good.

Um, she said they'll be parents in about 7 months,not that she was 7 months pregnant.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Working four twelve hour shifts four days a week with a total two-hour commute would have been rough, especially with split off days. I think Angela not being aware she was pregnant until seven months in is fairly unbelievable for someone who has already had two children. She missed multiple menstrual cycles and should have been showing before that time.

 

 We've all been waiting for Mitch to be able to show his hometown what he is made of and this fire is the opportunity. I see his former best friend is still as rotten as ever. This is already getting good.

 

B).........Err, I think she said she was DUE in 7 months! 

 

“Yes and we will have another one in about 7 months’ time” Angela said to me, and it took me a moment to realize what she had just said, “Oh that is wonderful news too, when did you find out?” I replied as I sat down next to Angela and gave her a big hug.  “I had a doctor’s appointment this morning, while Aunty Jean looked after the boys. I have suspected for a few days, once I had recovered from the jetlag” Angela said.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

LOL  I shouldn't keep trying to do four things at once. Old habits are hard to break.  I totally missed that.  fish-head-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..