Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,827 Words
  • 3,775 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Firestorm - 22. FS Chapter 22

The remainder of the Senior Cadet training went smoothly, which I was pleased about, the Unit Commanders and the Senior Cadets knew that we were serious about training, and they had successfully completed two navigation courses, and done some night navigation as well. At breakfast on Monday morning, we arrived at the dining hall just as they were starting breakfast, and after grabbing some toast and a cup of tea, we made our way to the head table, and watched as the cadets chatted and ate.

Soon after I stood up there was silence in the dining hall, “Good morning Unit Commanders and Senior Cadets, as you know the remainder of your units will be arriving today for six days of Cadet training. Over the past two days, you have learnt to work and train together, most of the time with Cadets from other units that you do not know, I hope this will prove beneficial, when your other Cadets join you later this morning.

As of today, Unit Commanders and all Senior Cadets, will meet for a briefing at 0700 and 1230 hours each day, plus a daily debrief at 1845 every evening, these will last for 15 minutes, and will be held in the parade hall. The briefings will be to let you know what is happening in the morning or afternoon, regarding training activities, and what your duties will be” I started, and I took a drink of tea before continuing.

“This is your first briefing, here and now, so pay attention. The buses are due to arrive at 1100 hours, when they do, I want you WO’s lined up beside your CUO’s, allowing for your whole Cadet Unit to be on parade. CUO’s, it will be your responsibilities to get your Unit Cadets off the bus and onto the parade ground ready for inspection. Unit Commanders, I want you to be one step ahead of your Senior Cadets on parade.

Once they are all on parade, I want you to conduct an inspection, with all Cadets to have their kit bags neatly placed at their feet, and all Cadets to be dressed correctly in uniform. When completed, then Warrant Officer Owens and myself will address the Cadets. On completion of this, Unit Commanders, I want you to give your CUO the order to continue, and with that all CUO’s and WO’s are to get their Unit Cadets squared away in the two vacant tents in your group of unit tents.

During that time, you are to inform your Unit Cadets of the location of the bathroom facilities, the parade hall and the dining hall. Your Cadets will have free time till 1200 hours, when you will make your way quietly into the dining hall for lunch, and the afternoon activities will begin at 1300 hours, which you will know about, at your next briefing at what time?” I announced, one WO Cadet stood up and snapped to attention, “That would be at 1230 hours, Staff Sergeant Benning” he said loudly so everyone could hear.

“Very good, Cadet Warrant Officer Hall, you can sit down” I replied, having recognised him as a Cadet from my old school, “Final training before the other Cadets arrive begins at 0730 in the parade hall, that is all” I said and I sat down again. Once everyone was gathered in the parade hall, where I had a projector, showing a topographical map of the property, everyone was seated in the chairs that we had set out for them, and we began strategy planning for manoeuvrers, and 45 minutes later as the lecture concluded, I asked for any questions.

“Staff Sergeant Benning, will we be getting any visitors dropping in like what happened last time” a Cadet from my old school asked, “I am not aware of any plans, and if I did know, that is restricted information, and would not be revealed” I replied. “Are you not part of the SAS regiment?” another Cadet asked, “I am attached to a branch of the SAS Command, but not actually part of the SAS regiment, my main role in the Army is firearms training to the numerous companies of the13th Brigade, based at Irwin Barracks” I responded truthfully.

Fifteen minutes later, with three groups of 16 Cadets. The Cadets headed into the bush to put all the lectures into practice for the next two hours, with the Unit Commanders assisting the three Corporals with monitoring each groups progress, as they moved through the bush, using field signals to communicate with the other unit members. Meanwhile Mike and I had already made out way out into the bush, having quickly grabbed out camo gear, and we lay in waiting for the cadets to approach.

All the Cadets were told was this exercise entailed searching for hostiles in the bush, and that their numbers were unknown, and once found the are to be detained, till the end of the exercise. Mike and I were about 600 metres apart, and about 1100 metres due east of the main access road, on the eastern slopes of a small hill, with the main compound being 1km west of the main road.

When I spotted the first of the Cadets, they were not in and straight line evenly spaced out as they were supposed to be, and one cadet walked past me, within 2 metres to my right, and another cadet passed me, 6 metres to my left. Once the whole line of Cadets had passed me, I silently followed them for a little while.

Tapping the Cadet on the shoulder, I saw him jump with fright, then I whispered, “You are dead, sit down and remain here quietly, till you hear three long blasts of the whistle” I said to the Cadet, who obeyed my command. I had another five more Cadets sitting on the ground, before I pulled out my whistle and gave three long blasts, which made all the Cadets turn around behind them, where I clearly stood, as was Mike, just 500 metres to my right.

“How many Warrant Officer” I shouted out to Mike, “Seven cadets, and one Corporal, Staff Sergeant” came Mike’s reply, “Right, everyone back to the main road now” I shouted, “CUO’s make sure you have everyone accounted for” Mike added, and we stayed put until all the cadets had passed us, and waited a little longer, to make sure there were no stragglers being left behind.

Once everyone was on the main road, and everyone was confirmed to be present, we marched back to the main compound, as the buses would be arriving shortly. Once we were back at the compound, I announced that everyone could relax until the buses arrive, but to stay close by, and Mike, the Corporals and I headed into the conference room to review all the planning, to make sure everything runs smoothly.

The first thing I did was pick up the phone and dial the number for the caretaker, “Staff Sergeant Benning here sir, once the buses have left the property, can you close and lock the gates please” I said when the call was answered, “Yes I can do that, are they still due to arrive shortly at 11am?” the caretaker replied, “Yes sir, and they should be returning to the front gate as soon as they have offloaded the cadets and their luggage, there should be no other vehicles, so once the buses arrive, let no other vehicles through the gate, thank you” I said, and once the caretaker accepted the request the call ended.

“Extra security precautions?” Mike Owens asked, “Yes, well with everything with Angela and Tom, and the intruder we had on the property last week, I don’t want to take any risks. I’ve just made a decision, Mike, I would like you to take over managing the training camp, everything is here in this conference room and if not, it will be at our command post on the hill. I am hoping that it won’t happen, but I want to be ready” I said as I picked up the phone, and I was about to dial a number, when my mobile rang.

The caller ID said it was a blocked number, and I frowned as I answered it, “Michell Benning speaking” I said into my phone, “Staff, this is James Harding, we have an issue. The guy that you caught on the property last week, was released without any charges, apparently, he had a very good lawyer. “One moment Sir, we are in the conference room” I said and I switched over to speakerphone.

“Go ahead” I added, “We feel that Angela and Tom may be at risk, we let them go back to your Aunt’s place two days ago, because the base was not really suitable for them being there, and an hour ago, I sent a plain car with two-armed MP’s over there, they are on their way up to you now, we feel they are safer with you on the property, than here in the city” the CO said to me. “I understand sir, can we keep the MP’s here for backup?” Mike asked.

“Yes, Warrant Officer, they will stay with you on the property, I have also authorised the issuing of four rifles and ammunition, for yourself and the three Corporals, and Staff Sergeant you have authorisation to retrieve your sniper rifle from the arms locker” the CO stated, “What about the Cadets and the training camp?” Mike asked, “I suggest that you continue with the training camp, but be on full alert at all times Warrant Officer” the CO said.

“Sir, just before you called, I officially handed over control of the training camp, over to Warrant Officer Mike Owens, while Corporals Hays, Masterson and Gregson, plus myself will be concentrating on patrolling the property, to ensure there are no unauthorised personnel” I said to the CO.

“Very well, I approve of this action, and I will require a daily report on everything happening there, at 1745 hours, the MP’s will also have a small package for you, that you will know what to do with. Bye for now” the CO said and he ended the call. “Well that was an interesting call” Mike commented, “I wonder what the extra package will be” Troy asked, and I looked at Mike who smiled, “I think I know, what it will be” Mike announced.

“Knowing the CO, I have a good Idea what it is also, I already have one, but it is at our camp. Corporals, you are about to be given the privilege of using some technology, that is usually restricted to a limited number of personnel, you will see what it is went they get here” I said, and we began to discuss how to deal with unauthorised intruders, if they enter the property.

“Staff, I have an idea, that maybe very beneficial to this matter, over the past two days we have been training the Senior Cadets in search and capture manoeuvrers, if we could get some of the paint guns here earlier than planned, the intruders will not have the protection from the effects of being hit by the paintballs, especially if they are hit in vulnerable areas, and we will have extra man power” Mike suggested.

“Brilliant idea, Mike, can you call the suppliers and have 12 paintball guns and ammunition delivered first thing tomorrow morning to the front gate, we also need to let the caretaker know of the arrival of the MP’s” I said as I retrieved my phone and dialled the caretakers number. “Benning here Sir” I said as soon as the call connected, “Hi Staff Sergeant, the buses have just gone through the gates, and they are closed till the buses return” the caretaker announced.

“You will have a plain car with two Army MP’s, plus Ms Angela Parker and her son Tom, arriving shortly, they are to be let in, once identification has been verified, once they are through, lock down the property, let the buses to exit, but no one after the MP’s have entered are to be permitted, we are on security lock down as soon as the MP’s have arrived, do you understand” I said to the caretaker.

“Yes, Staff Sergeant, I understand, I am still a Corporal in the reserves, I will do as you command” the Caretaker replied, and the call ended. “Sorry to interrupt, but the buses have arrived” a Unit Commander said as he walked into the conference room, “Yes thankyou Captain, do as instructed at the briefing, and we will be with you shortly” Mike said and the Captain exited the room.

“Right, let’s get this started, and let’s get the CUO’s in for a briefing as soon as possible, we will do a separate briefing with the Unit Commanders and Cadet WO’s at the arranged time” I announced as we filed out of the conference room and outside to the congregating new arrivals, and the CUO’s bellowing out orders.

“Take it easy Ingman, we just got here” we heard one cadet say to the CUO of his unit, “Oh, oh, here we go” I commented, and Mike chuckled as he walked towards the CUO. “Take a deep breath and remember your training and you will do fine” I heard Mike say quietly to the CUO, who nodded his head in understanding, and he stepped forward to address the cadet, “It is Cadet Under Officer to you Cadet, this is not a holiday, now get in line and no more back chat” the CUO said to the Cadet, who did as he was told.

Once everyone was on parade, they were called to attention, and Mike stepped forward. “Good morning Cadets and welcome to your worst nightmare… As said by one Cadet Under Officer a few minutes ago, this is not a holiday, you are at the Bindoon Army Training Facility, and this week-long Army Cadet training camp, will put you to the test in many ways.

Shortly your unit Warrant Officers will direct you to your tent accommodation, shown you where the bathroom facilities are, along with the indoor parade hall, and the dining hall, you will have a little time to settle into your accommodation, before lunch. That is all, Unit Commanders and Cadet Warrant Officers, they are all yours, oh and can I have all CUO’s report to the conference room right away” Mike announced.

About ten minutes later, we had all 12 CUO’s in the conference room, along with Troy, Amos and Marc, and I was about to start talking when the door opened and a boy came rushing towards me, and I caught him just in time, when he leaped towards me. “Hello Uncle Mitch, I have missed you” Tom said as he gave me a big hug, “and I have missed you to buddy” I replied as I saw Angela appear, and I smiled.

“I have some business to deal with at the moment, can you and your mum go into the dining room and have some lunch, and I will be there soon” I said to Tom and Angela, and they soon left the room. “Right, now back to what I was about to say, that is Ms Angela Parker and her son Tom, they will be staying here under our protection. We have a situation, which unfortunately collides with this training camp.

We will do our very best to ensure the safety of everyone on this facility, and we would like your assistance with that, now does anyone apart from the grammar school unit, know what the badge and patch on my arm mean” I said, and I saw the CUO from my former school look disappointed, and there was silence.

“Ok CUO Banner, will you enlighten everyone” I said, “Yes Staff Sergeant, your badge is Special Air Service Command, and your patch is Royal Australian Engineers Corps, plus your other badge indicates that you have completed High Altitude Parachuting training” the CUO responded, “Just like that question I was asked earlier on today, I am a part of SAS command, but not part of the SAS Corps, although I have trained with them on a couple of times. I am the current holder for the longest sniper shot in Australia, which happened in the Northern Territory. This information is for your ears only and cannot be repeated outside this room” I said.

“Over the past two days, you have completed two search and capture manoeuvrers, and although the Warrant Officer and Staff Sergeant captured some of us, me included, which I will never hear the end of. I feel you have learn a lot from it. Warrant Officer Owens has taken over the cadet training camp. Meanwhile Staff Sergeant Benning and my fellow Corporals are on a week-long search and capture manoeuvrer, which you will be part of the team” Troy said.

Copyright July 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Reserved
  • Like 38
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Typical lawyers and the Oh so wonderful Australian justice system! Caught on army territory whilst armed with an illegal weapon and carrying stolen property, and he gets off!!!!  The poor man now has the right to sue the army for wrongful arrest and can have Mitch arrested for assault with a deadly weapon!  So glad that we live in a world that recognises that the rights of the perpetrator outweighs the rights of the victim.

Hope Angela and Tom will be OK now they have our hero around them again!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think it's ridiculous that the lawyer got this guy off with no charges. I'm praying that nothing goes wrong in the week long training for the army cadets. I think it would be great if our high school JROTC units could do some training like the guys are doing with the army cadets. I'm glad that Angela and Tom are back where Mitch and his team can keep an eye on them and also patrol the perimeter of the training grounds and with the help of the MP'S I think it'll be a productive week. Thanks for writing another great chapter full of twists. Great story 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

B)................Wait a minute, they had an armed foreign national, on a secured military base arrested for B&R with a weapon...... and a lawyer got him sprung??  That is unbelievable, Australia is very down on weapons/guns in their country. However being as it may be, this sort of sets up a scenario of another confrontation this time it ends with capture of them all. Angela or Tom must be carrying something that transmits their location for the intruders always being where they are. Staff Sgt. Benning even took extra precautions in his movements with the two under his protection, by leaving in a different vehicle twice. Yet they seem to know where she, the only other explanation is a spy within the ranks. Great chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..