Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 419 Words
  • 3,237 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Firestorm - 37. FS Chapter 37

“Hello everyone, nice to see you all here, even if it is a bit of a surprise” I said as I gave Angela a kiss, followed by mum and aunty Jean, before sitting down next to my younger son, and my daughter in her high chair, where both were busy making a mess as they ate, and Angela handed me a damp wash cloth, to assist with cleaning up some of the mess. Shortly after we were all given some dinner, a little earlier than usual, but since I had not eaten much in the past two days, I was quite hungry.

I let my parents know that I checked their place and that it was fine, and they said they would travel down to Perth and stay a few days with Aunty Jean before heading home, after a nice dinner with the family, they all set off to Perth, while I would remain for another day to organise the clean-up of the two trucks, and make sure they were ready for use again at a moment’s notice, and then I would return home late tomorrow afternoon.

Thankfully, for the next 1 ½ weeks, there were no more wild bushfires in the region of the Bindoon training facility, and on Christmas eve I finished my last day of work in the Army, the next week after Christmas, the family and I will be very busy finalising our luggage for the long journey to England.

Christmas this year was a grand event, which we held at Mum and Dad’s place on their property, as it will be a long while before we will see it again, and it included some of my parent’s friends who were not concerned about my personal business, including the shire president and his wife.

During the Christmas party, I learnt that Dave, the local Fire Chief and 4 others had their volunteer positions within the fire service terminated, which some shire councillors tried to overturn, but they soon found their positions were under threat, if they continued with their demands, so the decision remained, which was causing a lot of friction within the district.

After the enjoyable Christmas and Boxing day on the property, Aunty Jean, Angela, the kids and I headed back to the city, were we made the final preparations for our newest family adventure, five years of living and working in North Yorkshire, which I hope will be the beginning of a wonderful life for all of us.

The End

Copyright July 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights Reserved
  • Like 29
  • Love 6
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Short chapter but very good. I liked that for Christmas Mitch and family along with Aunt Jean spent the day at his parents home and also there were some friends of Mitch's parents there that didn't care about Mitch's supposed sexual preference, this included the Shire president and his wife. During the day the shire president informed Mitch that Dave, the local fire chief and four others were terminated from the fire department and when some of the shire councilors started complaining and trying to get this action overturned they were informed that their positions were on the line. I wish Mitch and family the best of luck during the 5 years they'll be in the UK while Mitch is on temporary duty there. I hope there's going to be more to the story as we still don't have the answers to the gay issue. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Yes that question was answered in the chapter when Angela proposed to Mitchell, just go tot he chapter just before they go to the UK the first time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

:o:huh: so sad that this see story is the end. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope that you have a new story online soon. I really enjoy the fast pace of the chapters.

I am going to miss the updates . thanks again. Cheers

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have so enjoyed this story and hate to see it end. Maybe at some point we can catch up with Mitch and family in the future. Thanks so much for this one and am looking forward to more stories from Quokka soon. Best wishes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

B)..........Well I enjoyed this story, Mitch has his family and his life go forward with. His home town knows he saved it, and in the back ground you have one word against the other I doubt Dave will have any supporters after this.  Great story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Butcher56 said:

Short chapter but very good. I liked that for Christmas Mitch and family along with Aunt Jean spent the day at his parents home and also there were some friends of Mitch's parents there that didn't care about Mitch's supposed sexual preference, this included the Shire president and his wife. During the day the shire president informed Mitch that Dave, the local fire chief and four others were terminated from the fire department and when some of the shire councilors started complaining and trying to get this action overturned they were informed that their positions were on the line. I wish Mitch and family the best of luck during the 5 years they'll be in the UK while Mitch is on temporary duty there. I hope there's going to be more to the story as we still don't have the answers to the gay issue. 

 

It was answered  in Chapter 29

 

“During my week off, I stayed at home and spent my time, getting to know Angela and Tom better, and I let Angela know that I now felt that I am Bisexual instead of Gay, as I had strong feelings for her, and moments later with a big smile, “Well in that case, would you do me the honour of being my husband” Angela said to me as we sat in her back yard, watching Tom swimming in the pool, “And be my dad too” Tom added, which made Angela and I laugh.”

Edited by chris191070
Link to comment

Good story, but still very disappointed on the direction you took it as far as Mitchell's sexuality. I think it would have been a much better story if you had left him gay and had him explore that and maybe find love with one of his fellow servicemen. It's really not even fair to call him bisexual considering he never even spoke of any attraction to or had any experiences with another man. If he was going to end up with a woman, there would be no reason for him to leave home or have "a talk" with anyone. Just didn't make sense.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

 

Yes there are new stories that I will start posting very shortly.

 

One of my original stories - Outback, is in the process of being re-edited,

as well as the second  book of Frontier.

 

Regards Quokka

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, quokka said:

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

 

Yes there are new stories that I will start posting very shortly.

 

One of my original stories - Outback, is in the process of being re-edited,

as well as the second  book of Frontier.

 

Regards Quokka

 

Looking forward to all of the new stories that you will be posting soon.

Link to comment

Well my friend, another Oz story has come to an end, please do a Firestorm 2 at another time, as this one has been quite enjoyable.

I only wish that your story about the island off SA was not lost to faulty technology. I will be looking forward to new stories from you soon.

Regards

 

John D

Sydney

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I have mixed emotions. I'm glad about the happy ending and sad about it ending so soon. I think it could have been taken further both at the beginning and end and had some more exposition and conflict between Mitch and Dave. Dave's actions started the whole story, yet we end up knowing nothing about his relationship with Mitch prior to his betrayal or his motivations. He is integral to the story, but he remains less than a shadow of a stick figure bigot. It was a great story, but it also left me wanting. I was very disappointed to see all of Mitch's accomplishments and talents seeming to count for nothing. He still had to prove himself to be a real man by parading the image of having a wife and children before being accepted and backed by the shire president. It retrogrades to the often sham where it's okay to have gay feelings as long as you never show or act on them and seem to live a normal life. It was a hefty dose of bitter root in an otherwise tasty glass of lemonade.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, davewri said:

Still not resolved on the gay issue. Somewhere deep inside the truth will have to come out.

I agree with you on this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, davewri said:

Still not resolved on the gay issue. Somewhere deep inside the truth will have to come out.

 

B)............... The 'gay' issue was resolved, the reason for his leaving the town was not!

During my week off, I stayed at home and spent my time, getting to know Angela and Tom better, and I let Angela know that I now felt that I am Bisexual instead of Gay, as I had strong feelings for her, and moments later with a big smile, “Well in that case, would you do me the honour of being my husband” Angela said to me as we sat in her back yard, watching Tom swimming in the pool, “And be my dad too” Tom added, which made Angela and I laugh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Benji said:

 

B)............... The 'gay' issue was resolved, the reason for his leaving the town was not!

During my week off, I stayed at home and spent my time, getting to know Angela and Tom better, and I let Angela know that I now felt that I am Bisexual instead of Gay, as I had strong feelings for her, and moments later with a big smile, “Well in that case, would you do me the honour of being my husband” Angela said to me as we sat in her back yard, watching Tom swimming in the pool, “And be my dad too” Tom added, which made Angela and I laugh.

And THAT is where the story went wrong. 

Link to comment

I am sorry that you feel that way, unfortunately this is one of the stories that I started to publish while I was still writing it, so yes the theme of the story changed, the further I went along with writing it.

Other stories I have completed the story well before I commence publishing, and that way the theme stays the same.

 

Regards Quokka

Link to comment

Quokka, you seem to have a problem writing about gay characters.

 

The stories are interesting and I have read them all.

 

This is a gay authors web site after all.

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

davewri -

These quotes below are from the Home page of GA

I suggest that you take note of them, and stop complaining.

 

"As the name Gay Authors would imply, we also have a focus on our authors".  

"Gay Authors is proud of our diverse community.  We have all age groups and gender groups represented.  We support our authors, our readers and have a family through our shared love of stories".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..