Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,227 Words
  • 4,080 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frontier - 26. FR Chapter 26

After having an early lunch, we drove south, stopping at Dongara to refuel, and we arrived back home just in time for lunch. Gramps had telephoned Mum, to let her know that we would be home in time for lunch, and that everything went very well at court. Once again I drove the whole distance back home. When we arrived back, Jasper followed us to the house as I had invited him to join us for lunch, so we could discuss what to do next, regarding the trimaran yacht at the Cocos Keeling Islands.

“We have to get the trimaran back to Jurien Bay. Do you have any ideas on that?” Gramps asked me once we were all seated at the table.

“I was thinking about it as we drove back. We have school holidays due soon, so I was thinking that maybe you and Jasper with Simon, and our two friends, Toby and Finn, might like to make the trip to the islands, and sail the Last Frontier back home,” I commented.

“I am happy to do that, as long as Simon and the two boys are happy to do that,” Jasper replied.

“Ok, I will speak to them tomorrow about it, and go from there,” I said, as we continued eating.

After lunch was over, I decided to go to school for the last two classes for the day, and so I changed into my school uniform, grabbed my backpack, and drove to school, arriving just five minutes before the first bell. With Music being my next class, I grabbed my books from my locker, and almost bumped into Finn, when I turned to head to the music room.

“Hey, Bud, I wasn’t expecting to see you today,” Finn said with a smile.

“We arrived back at 11.30am, and after lunch I decided to come to my last two classes instead of staying at home,” I said to Finn, as we headed off to our class.

When we arrived at our final class of geography, I was starting to feel quite tired from all the driving, that I had done earlier in the day, so I just listened to the teacher without actually concentrating, and when the bell sounded for the end of the day, I packed away my books.

“Mr Hamilton, stay behind for a moment,” the teacher said to me, and I groaned as I waited for everyone to leave the classroom.

“I appreciate that you made an effort to return to school after taking some personal time off, but you must participate in the classes, if you are going to attend. Do you understand me?” the teacher said to me.

“Yes, Ma’am, and I do apologise for not paying much attention today. I have just got my licence, and drove to Geraldton and back this morning to attend court, so I guess I’m a little travel weary,” I replied.

“I see. Well, make sure that you get plenty of rest, so you are fresh for school tomorrow. That is all,” the teacher said to me and I smiled and made my way to my locker, where Simon, Toby and Finn were waiting for me, with smiles on their faces.

“I wasn’t paying attention in my last class, and the teacher noticed, so I just had to apologise that’s all,” I explained to them, as I put my books into my backpack, and we headed out of the school. We found Neale and Jedd standing near the carpark, waiting for us.

“Sorry about the delay boys. I had to stay behind in class to talk to my teacher,” I explained to them as I unlocked the car, before turning to Finn and Toby. “By the way, do you two have any plans for this coming end of term holidays?” I asked my friends.

“No, why is that?” Simon asked me frowning.

“Well, I was hoping, you three would like to join Jasper for a trip, to the Cocos Keeling Islands, so as to sail the trimaran back to Jurien Bay,” I said to them.

“That sounds awesome, but we will have to check with our parents first,” Finn said.

“Ok, just let me know the decision, so I can arrange the flights from Perth to the Islands. I will catch you guys later,” I said to Finn and Toby, as Simon and I climbed into the ute, where the boys were waiting for us. Less than ten minutes later we arrived at the marina to drop Simon off. Back at home, the boys started on their homework, while I went to my room for a lie down and I soon fell asleep, waking up only when Mum shook my shoulders.

“Time for some dinner. We have already eaten. I thought I would let you sleep a little longer,” Mum said to me, as I climbed out of bed and followed her out of the room.

After I had eaten, I went into the office and started to do some homework, but after 45 minutes, I had done enough. I went to the kitchen for a drink of water, and saying goodnight to Mum and Gramps I headed to bed for the night. The next morning at breakfast Gramps reminded me that I had my skippers ticket exam after school. Once we were ready, we headed off to school. Finn and Toby were at the school carpark waiting for our arrival, as we climbed out of the vehicle.

“Does the big grins on your faces mean you are joining me on the trip to the Cocos Keeling Islands,” Simon asked them.

“Yep, we can come and we can hardly wait,” Toby said.

“That’s good to hear. I will make the arrangements. I will drive you guys down to Perth on the Monday, when the holidays start.

“I will organise overnight accommodation, then on the Tuesday you will fly up to the Cocos Keeling Islands and stay on the yacht from there onwards. It should take you about 6 days to get back to Jurien Bay, via the Abrolhos Islands,” I said to my friends.

“That sounds great,” Finn replied with a smile.

I saw my brothers to Junior school, while the others headed to the lockers.

After school, once Simon and the boys had been dropped off, Gramps and I made our way to the Marine Supplies store, as the owner of the store was the assessor for the exam. After presenting my log book, I spent the next hour tackling the theory exam. I felt that I had done fairly well. I was informed that a practical test would take place on my yacht at 8am on Saturday, that would go for no less than four hours, and that I would know the results of the theory exam at that time.

From the marine store I headed over to the marina, to catch up with Kirk and Leon, who had arrived back earlier in the day. They both gave me a big hug as I stepped onto the aft deck of the catamaran. I laughed as I returned the hug.

“It’s great to see you guys again. Did you have a good holiday in Perth?” I said to them.

“It was great thanks, Boss. We even spent two days on Rottnest Island, which was awesome,” Kirk and Leon replied.

“Will you guys be ok to return to work on the trimaran, when it returns to Jurien bay in two-week’s time?” I asked.

“Yes, Boss. As long as we are working for you, that is fine by us,” Leon replied with a smile.

“That’s good to hear,” I replied.

Just over a day and a half later, with another school week finished, Simon had managed to pass his driving licence tests on Friday after school.

When I woke Saturday morning, I suddenly remembered that I had to go sailing, so I quickly dressed and went to the kitchen for breakfast where mum had already made me a full cooked breakfast.

“Thanks, Mum. You didn’t need to do that,” I said to her with a smile.

“I do, Son. I had left you with that bastard of a husband of mine, and I have regretted that moment ever since. I am so sorry that I did that to you,” Mum said with tears in her eyes.

“We are a family again, and I am happy, so let’s not dwell on the past, and look forward to the future,” I said with a smile, and I sat down to eat.

Once I finished, I grabbed my car keys, thanked Mum for breakfast, and I set off down to the marina, arriving shortly before 7.30am, where I found Jasper, Simon, Kirk and Leon waiting for me. I smiled as I stepped on board.

“Good morning, Gentlemen. A good day for sailing,” I said to my crew.

“Yes, Boss, it is just that. I have a current weather report, with good winds and weather for the whole day,” Jasper replied with a big grin.

‘Thanks, Skipper. Prepare to get under way once the assessor, Mr Lincoln, arrives,” I replied, and the lads smiled.

Over the next five hours, we sailed along the coast, and also went further out to sea where the strong winds put me to the test, but I took the challenge in my stride, knowing that I was comfortable with handling virtually any type of weather. When we motored into the marina shortly after 1pm, I was pleased with how the day’s sailing went, and I was hoping that the assessor, Mr Lincoln, had the same view, while I had the lads finalise the mooring of the yacht at the marina jetty.

Once secured, the crew left the yacht to head into town, leaving me with Mr Lincoln to learn the results of the practical assessment. I watched in silence as Mr Lincoln wrote down some details on his note book, and when he eventually finished, he looked directly at me.

“Mr Hamilton, in the many years that I have been doing assessments both here and in Geraldton, you are by far the most skilled young man that I have had the pleasure of assessing. Congratulations,” Mr Lincoln said to me.

“Thank-you, Sir. I appreciate your time to do my assessment,” I responded, and I shook his hand, as he passed me the documentation to say that I had passed, and that I was now officially a skipper. Once Mr Lincoln had left, I remained at the catamaran. I turned on the television in the saloon, and watched some programmes until the crew returned about half an hour later, where they all congratulated me on getting my skipper’s ticket.

With just one more week to go before the spring school holidays, I went into the office and made some calls to arrange the accommodation in Perth and flights to the Cocos Keeling Islands for my crew, before I headed back home where I was congratulated by everyone.

“While you were away, I received my order for three hundred blue gum eucalypts, and we can start planting them tomorrow. I have four manual post hole tools, that I purchased today, so we can start digging, first thing in the morning. Jasper, Simon, Kirk and Leon have also volunteered to help us with the plantings,” Gramps announced to me.

“Well, I guess I better take it easy till then, if we all have a busy day,” I responded.

For the rest of the afternoon, I spent the time with my younger brothers, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and it gave Mum some free time to herself. As we all sat down to dinner, with all four crew members included, the table was full, and an extra chair had to be added to fit everyone. When the main course was finished, and Mum, Simon, Kirk and Leon cleared the table, I stood up to make an announcement.

“I am blessed to have not just my family here, but also my crew members, who I regard as good friends. So much has happened in the past few months, some good and some bad, but we have all come through as one happy group of family and friends. I just want to thank-you for your love and support during this time,” I said feeling a little emotional as I finished and sat back down in my chair.

Mum, who walked up behind me, wrapped her arms around me and gave me a kiss on the cheek, which made me blush a little. “All we need now, is to find you a suitable boyfriend,” Mum whispered to me, soft enough for only me to hear, or that’s what I thought, until I saw Simon sitting next to me, started to blush a little.

I was a little surprised by mum’s statement to me, and I guess I hadn’t really decided if I was gay or bisexual. As I thought about it a little more, I guess I didn’t really care, as I had loving family and friends surrounding me. I turned to Simon, who gave me a smile, and from under the table he grabbed my hand and gave it a little squeeze, before letting go. Once dinner was over, and the cleaning up had been done, the crew members said goodnight, and Simon drove them back to the marina, in the second-hand, 4 year old, Toyota Rav4, that his grandfather had given him on gaining his driver’s licence.

The following morning, everyone gathered at the shed, where all the trees were left yesterday. Gramps had already given them a good watering before breakfast.

“Ok, since we already have existing firebreaks all around, let’s start planting on the north and north east sides first, to protect us from any possible bush fires from the national park across the road,” Gramps announced to us.

“We have a 240-metre long northern fence, and it is 80 metres from the corner to the end of the driveway behind the house, so that is where we need to plant the trees, say about 5 metres apart, with each of the three lines also being 5 metres apart,” I added.

“How about I do the pacing out of the distances, and marking each spot with some spray paint. That way we can make sure we get them even, but I need to have a post marker at each end to keep a straight line,” Mum volunteered.

“Well, it sounds like we have that part worked out. I volunteer to have one of the post diggers,” I announced.

“Me and Leon will have two more,” Kirk volunteered.

“And I will have the last one,” Jasper said, just before Simon tried to say anything, and I smiled at him.

“Ok, the others can get the trees, and place one about a metre away from each marker on the ground, then come back and plant them in the ground. I have arranged to borrow my uncle Isaac’s mobile fire unit, so as to water each of the plants in. He should be here shortly,” Jasper added.

“What about us?” my brothers said at the same time.

“You guys have the special job of stomping the ground around the tree, to make sure it stays in the hole and grows strong,” I said to them both, and they smiled, happy with getting the special job of stomping.

From the back of Gramps’ ute, that Jasper mostly drove now, Jasper pulled out two brand new steel pickets, a sledge hammer and two picket caps. Handing the sledge hammer to Simon, they set off over to the northern boundary on foot, while I had everyone load all the trays of tree saplings into the back of my ute.

When Isaac arrived, we all climbed into the two vehicles, and drove across the paddock to the northern fence, where Jasper had already driven in the picket 3 metres in from the northern fence in the eastern corner, and he and Simon were now walking down to the western end of the fence. Mum had loaded a basket load of drinks and snacks for everyone, and when we stopped near the first marker, my brothers asked for and received an apple to munch on, while they waited.

As soon as the second steel picket with yellow cap was in place, mum started to pace out the distance, stopping every five metres, to place a bright orange paint spot on the ground, before moving on. I began digging the first hole, and suggested to everyone that we make the holes one metre deep, then fill them in ¾’s of the way, so they are ready for planting the trees, giving them plenty of soft soil to get established in.

Gramps jumped into my vehicle and starting from the north-east corner, he headed down the line, while Simon grabbed a tree suckling, and placed it near each hole. When Mum had finished marking the first line, she relocated the steel picket a further 5 metres from its first place, then walked back up to the eastern fence to relocate the first steel picket. Gramps and Simon passed us hole diggers, and when they had finished distributing the first row of 48 trees, they left the vehicle at the start, and began planting the trees, after Isaac had placed a lot of water into each of the holes.

After just over 1 ½ hours, we had completed digging the holes and planting the first row of trees, and Mum had completed marking the ground for the second row, staggering the marks halfway between the first row. With four diggers, we were getting the holes dug a lot faster than I expected, even though it was hard work, and we stopped for a drink and snack, to recover a little.

“Ok, since Mum is well ahead of her job, how about you and Jasper do the distributing and planting, while Kirk, Leon, Simon and I can do the digging. Gramps and Isaac can continue with the driving, and the boys can continue doing a great job with the stomping. Then we can swap around some more for the last row of trees,” I announced, as we finished our drinks.

By the time, we had completed planting 144 trees, everyone was exhausted, including the boys, who were covered in mud, but they had enjoyed every moment of it, although Mum wasn’t too pleased, judging by the frown I saw on her face as she looked at her two youngest son’s.

I estimated that we had another 48 trees to plant along the eastern fence from the northern corner to just behind the house, and I hoped that we would get that completed that afternoon after lunch. We made our way back to the house where mum demanded her youngest two to strip down to their underwear, and use the laundry tub to get rid of all the mud on them, and I went to retrieve some towels for my brothers to dry off with. As we sat down for lunch, Gramps looked at me and smiled.

“I just wanted to let you know, that not only did I order all of those eucalypt trees, but I also ordered and bought thirty fruit trees of various types, plus a mini tractor, with a trench digger attachment, for easier planting.”

Copyright: June 2017. Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved
  • Like 39
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

B)............Was wondering about the Anton/Simon connection, hoping it comes to fruition. Speaking of which he has me beat by 20 trees here fpr an orchard!  Nice chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Congratulations Anton on completing the requirements for your skippers ticket. I like the fact that their grandfather was smart enough to not only order the eucalyptus trees but also fruit trees in different varieties. I can imagine the soreness the guys are going to have after digging the holes for the trees as well as planting them. I hope they aren't to sore for school the next day. I like that Anton asked his friends from school as well as Simon, Jasper, Kirk and Leon if they would like to go to the cocos Kettering island so that they could go get the Last Frontier and sail it back to their home base. I hope that they have smooth sailing from there to home during the 5 to 6 day trip. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am enjoying the story but I am puzzled by the timings for the trip to Geraldton.  The chapter starts, "After having an early lunch, we drove south, stopping at Dongara to refuel, and we arrived back home just in time for lunch." So two lunches? It took two hours to drive to Geraldton, 7:15am to 9:15am (when they got to the car park).  The court case started at 10:00am, so they can't have had an early lunch before about 11:00am and then left Geraldton at about 11:30am.  Yet Anton tell his friends they arrived at 11:30am!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..